Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Rattles

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2011
    Take the accessory belt off (5 min job), and then start the engine. If the rattle has stopped, then the problem is one of the bearings in one of the accessories or idler pulley....a common problem. Stop the engine, and then turn the individual accessories by hand to feel which one has a bad bearing.

If the rattle still occurs, then it's either the water pump or something internal to the engine, which will require much more major effort to diagnose and repair.
  • Options
    snackcakesnackcake Member Posts: 2
    This is just an update - and it may help all those with rattles in the steering column -I tried process of elimination today with the good techs at Discount Tires, what an immense help they were, turns out it was a simple fix for my rattle - 3 tires out of balance. I hit the freeway at 70...73....75....78....80 NO RATTLING - whoo hoo I am so happy:)
    I always have my tires roated every 6000 miles and re balanced and rotated at 12000. I had them re balanced in November - I dont drive too much so not sure why they went out of balance - maybe a pot hole or something, but for those with rattles in the steering colum- check your tires first:)
  • Options
    n26w81n26w81 Member Posts: 4
    I have 4000 miles on my 2011 Camry AT and I have a rattle in the drivers side upper dashboard. Unbelievable. Anyone else?

I won't even ask about the persistant exterior drip stain that appears underneath the doors after every rain, the excessive rubber-band effect with the downshifting transmission, the under-carriage single clunk on a cold engine, and 3 times I found the trunk lid had automatically opened while I was well out of range with the remote.

Apparently, I bought a Chrysler in disguise.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Rattle in dash - in 2007, they had a rattle in dash - was fixed, my 2010 is quiet a year and a half old. Someone must have made a mistake on the assembly line.

"Under-carriage single clunk when cold" - see owner's manual, this is the ABS self test, no issue.

Exterior drip stain - will go away soon. Mine did the same, it is the undercoating or something, did it for a few months, never again.
  • Options
    occasnldiyeroccasnldiyer Member Posts: 1
    I had a rattle in my 2000 camry in the engine compartment that tore at me for the last year and a half. I heard it when the car was cold when I would stop at a stop sign or red light the first 1/2 mile from home.

I finally found where the problem was by driving my car tires up against a heavy beam, left it in drive with the hand brake on, and when I opened the hood, the noise went away. When I pushed down on the hood the noise went away. The hood latch was rattling. I turned the 2 hood height adjusters to add more tension to the hood latch, and that fixed the problem. 1 1/2 years for that? How many trips to the shop for that? Oh, well, hopefully someone will benefit from this post.