Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT Problems and Solutions

lladnarlladnar Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Audi
I bought my 2000 TT two months ago and have had it in the shop for two weeks--all within the last three weeks actually. Three weeks ago I needed a new ignition coil. One week ago the water pump needed to be replaced. Neither problem was serious, but one left me stranded far from home and both have taken the car out of my hands for long stretches. Despite the beautiful design and impressive performance, I do not recommend this car. In fact, I want to tell as many people as possible to avoid the car.

Lladnar

Comments

• miamimarlinmiamimarlin Member Posts: 1
    02TT, 225, cab, everything OK until 12k.

1) Gas leak - turned out seal went on fuel lead from plastic tank. Lucky car did not go boom.

2) Mirrors shakin like grandma w/too much caffeine.

3) Unlock car, get in, car turns over but does not start. Realize dash lights not on. Call towing, in the meantime disconnect neg battery cable (with borrowed wrench). Seems everything resets and off we go.

4) 10 days later #3 happens again.

5) Same day as #4, driving on interstate @about 85. Flash car in front of me, split second everything shuts down and powers back up. What the ...? Hour later roll down window, happens again.

Get home, click lock on key and .... nothing. Click unlock, nothing. Open door, not only no dash lights, overhead lights out too. Complete system shut down. Oh well, decide I'll get it towed in the morning. Need to lock car, do it manually for first time with key in door. Forgot something inside, unlock door, open and viola! All lights come on! System back up!

Took it to the dealer today. Nothing recorded on car's computer. They can't/won't do anything.

This car's problems remind me of my old Opel GT.

Oh well, part of a sports car charm. An expensive sports car.
  • alynn419alynn419 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 TT -225hp manual. When I accelerate rapidly the car veers to left. Take my foot off gas and car straightens out. Service Dept. checked alignment and steering. Claims the problem is not a problem - rather, reflects steering torque caused by unequal axles. Anyone ever hear of this? I'm baffled.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    yep...torque steer happens because of this. Too bad the EDL doesn't correct this.
  • rarauzrarauz Member Posts: 3
    Ok... I guess the TT is coming off my "dream car" list...
  • gparigpari Member Posts: 1
    Audi has just repurchased my 02 TT. The car was a hunk of junk. I had gas tank leaks, alternator and electrical problems, paint defects and on and on. I now have a Nissan 350Z-great car.
  • lovedttlovedtt Member Posts: 1
    I wanted a TT since they came out and my husband suprised me with a 2001 TT with 12,000 miles for our anniversary!I got the car at the end of July 2002.
    The car has been in service 16 TIMES- 11 times for the same problem! In August the car was leaking gas-took 3 times to get that fixed, then when I am stopped the rpms will go from about 6-12 and the car will feel like it was going to stall. Service told me the cause was everything imaginable but it never got fixed so I continued to bring it back in to try to get it fixed. Service finally told me about the coil problems and I thought that finally the car would be fixed-- well after the coils were replaced the car has been in 3 times. Just got it back today after the main computer, which was already replaced, was reprogrammed! I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Still love the car--just wonder how many more times it is going to go in for service???
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Discussion re-opened by request.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• love_2_drivelove_2_drive Member Posts: 5
    My wife is thinking about getting a 2004 225 hp, 6 speed roadster, and I was wondering what problems/solutions has anyone had with the new model year, or at least a 2003. It looks like there have been some bugs worked out so hopefully the car is getting better... what is your experience with it?
  • italkyoulistenitalkyoulisten Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is a problems and solutions discussion, but after reading all the negativity, I have to mention that my 2002 TT coupe, 180hp, has had great reliability and performance. I don't deny that the other posters here had issues, but for me, no problems of significance, other than an ignition coil that was promptly fixed by the dealer (a recall item). After 25k miles, I still love the car, still think it's the best looking small coupe on the road (a lot of new models are now copying its design), and still can't see a better buy out there for performance, mileage, hatchback space, and cool design.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My friend has a 2001 TT roadster and is not satisfied with the OEM Bridgestone tires. Any replacement suggestions? She lives in Washington DC, so there is some foul weather. Thanks.
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I am considering to buy a 2000 TT Quadro with 54000 on the clock. The dealer wanted $20950 for it, but after a lot of haggling, I got it down to $19000. The car is a trade in for a new S4 Quadro.

My questions are: I
    Is this a good/ok price?
    Is this a reliable car?
    What surprises can I expect?

Can anybody tell me what Audit did to get the output from 180 hp to 225 hp for the new cars? Just freer flowing exhaust )two tail pipes and other chip for engine management (higher rpm, and torque curve in a higher range)?

Would any of you about there buy this car? It has all the options, Xenon, heated seats, disc changer, etc.

Please advise! Thanks a million for all your friendly help out there!
  • what_say_you2what_say_you2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the 2005 TT coupe. I see many complaints with 2001, 2002 models. I don't see any comments regarding 2003,2004. Does this mean people aren't seeing problems with them? I too am very leery about repairs- I really don't need that headache. I am hoping consumer reports will test this car again soon. It got poor ratings in 2002. I wonder if many of the problems with 2001 and 2002 problems showed up 3-4 years into ownership or did they start happening right away?
  • jmolinarijmolinari Member Posts: 2
    The dealer repaired the Check Engine light problem as a warranty item although I'm out of warranty - perhaps my long talk with the service manager about 3 repairs in 6 weeks had an effect. The 3rd repair was also related to the emissions system. The invoice states that the dealer replaced the "over-run cut off valve". Apparently there are 100+ items that can trigger the "check engine light" to come on.
  • kyingkying Member Posts: 61
    I live in the Los Angeles area, but my wife drives our 2001 TT Coupe (180hp with 5-speed manual) on snow occasionally through the grapevine while commuting between L.A. and Bakersfield. We have this car since new, and the OME was Michelin Pilot Sport, which were noisy and hard. But handling and treadwear were excellent. After 3 years and 45000 miles, we finally had to buy new tires. We decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, which we have since last summer. With 6000 miles on them, we are totally satisfied! They handle just as good, if not better than the Michelin. They are quiet (we finally can listen to piano sonatas while driving) and very comfortable. We will have to wait and see its treadwear though.
  • aceduce57aceduce57 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 audi TT with the 3.2 V6 and DSG s-line. I am having a problem with a clicking sound in the rear wheels. I think the brake shield is rubbing against the trailing arm. Also, their is a loud popping sound coming from underneath the car. The dealer says its the ABS pump and there is nothing they can do about it. Anyone else having problems?
  • jakdraculajakdracula Member Posts: 2
    ok, I've been reading the forums, and I'd like some thoughts on my problems:

2001 TT convertible, base ball inside, black outside... big engine, the whole bit.

The fuel guage has NEVER worked. If it wasn't for the digital count down, I wouldn't know when to put in gas...

51k miles: NEW engine. Now, I'm happy they gave me a new engine for $50, since it was under warranty, but they had the car for 4 months to do it... why in the heck would I need a new engine? Audi service says "we don't know".

56k miles: Blowing smoke and back fireing like crazy. Audi service says "can't find anything wrong".

57k miles: Oil light (looks like a genie lamp) comes on, flashes. Audi servce says "needs oil". Needs oil? How could a brand new engine need oil in 6k miles?

57.5k miles: Temp light on and blinking. Audi service says "bone dry. no coolent at all, no leaks , no cracks... no idea where the coolent went, but it's bone dry".

... ok...

58k miles: Oil light flashing again. Audi service says "no oil" this time. Where's the oil? Audi says: "don't know. bone dry, just like the damned coolent. No leaks, no puddles under the car... just all the oil is missing".

First nice day in northing east, I put the top down, hit the button for my glass wind screen to come up, nothing happens. Audi service says "it's broke, needs a $1500 part, not covered under warranty". So, I bought a big time expensive option, and it's not covered when it brakes. I ask Audi, well, how did it break, it's been down all winter? Standard Audi answer "I don't know".

Don't even get me started about the tires...
  • jakdraculajakdracula Member Posts: 2
    so, last night I get home and reach over to open my glove box to get out my digital camera to take it in the house, and the entire lock assembly falls off in my hand!

Now I can't get my glove box open.

Marcib: to answer your question re; burning oil. I smell it and see it too. These cars suck.
  • brugrebrugre Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE AN 03 ROADSTER WITH THE 6SPD AUTO. UNDER CERTAIN CONDTIONS THE CAR HANGS UP. FOR EXAMPLE: WHEN PULING SLOWLY OUT OF A DRIVEWAY AND YOU NEED TO STEP DOWN ON IT TO GET INTO TRAFFIC. IT LITERALY FEELS LIKE IT HAS STALLED! IF I LET UP IT CATCHES MEANTIME YOU ARE SITTING IN FRONT OF ON COMING TRAFFIC. SOME FORUMS SUGEST THIS IS A MAF PROBLEM. BUT OF COURSE THE DEALER SAYS NOTHING SHOWS UP WHEN THEY READ THE CAR. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR HAS SOLVED IT?
  • debbie7debbie7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm thrilled to find this site. I would like to tell you all the history of my car (since so many are asking if others have had the same experiences) and ask about a new problem.

purchased new 2002 180 hp coupe June 02
    first week fuel leaked out. In shop 20 some days replaced cracked fuel tank, and fuel lines
    engine coils cracked first winter (before the coils were recalled so more time in shop)
    electric problems began within first year. Hard to start, battery replaced twice. Service engine light came on and dealer just turned it off. Final electric repair was over a year ago (after a third letter to the manufacturer to repurchase my car) and it has been running since. I do not believe the instrument cluster was replaced in the last repair but I need to check my paperwork tonight since there is so much info in this forum about that. Currently it takes 3-4 times and a lot of revving to turn the car over when starting and the window movement is erratic. This AM I took it in to repair a tire and I'm told by my rear brakes are completely worn and would not pass inspection. I have less than 20,000 miles on the car and have never had problems with brakes (so I know it's not my driving habbits).

I've only seen one post about brakes from Aceduce57. Did your brakes wear down? What was the outcome? Anyone else out there with brakes that wore out fast? It's all so unbelievable for a car so pricey. But I think this forum has been extremely helpful and I'm going to persist in getting the car repurchased. What a painful procedure!

Thanks for any input, Debbie
  • winchesterwinchester Member Posts: 1
    This is just a warning to anyone who is thinking of buying a TT. I have a 2001 225. The first 30,000 miles were great, but then the front suspension started to creak. The dealer was seemingly baffled and simply kept pouring grease on the problem. Jump ahead a couple years and the car has 48,000 miles and is 50 months old. The dealer is issued a service bulletin that recommends replacing the tie rods ($400). Audi won't cover it because it's off warranty even though the problem has been documented for TWO years. I feel this is total [non-permissible content removed]. But while I'm arguing with them the gas gauge fails, the air conditioner bearings begin to rattle ($700), the rear view mirror starts to shake and the glove compartment lock fell off ($900). Okay, so I'll live with some of this crap because I simply can't afford to fix it and I've gone around and around with Audi. Now the car has 50,000 miles on it and the power steering rack just failed. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. If this happens to you aim the car off the nearest cliff and jump out before it goes over because it's an $1800 repair ($2500 at the dealer who really doesn't want to see me anymore). This car has been babied so it's not a case of a car that's trounced to death. In my opinion, these are beautiful cars that belong in the Museum of Modern Art. Just take it there and park it. Whatever you do, don't drive it because it will break and it will cost a fortune to fix. As soon as I can drive it I'm selling it.
  • gigi17gigi17 Member Posts: 1
    I had done a great deal of research on TT's before actually purchasing a
    2002 TT roadster fwd with 37,000 mi last month .. there have been a few minor problems that I resolved with dealer with relative ease. Judging from some of these posts, I feel really lucky so far. That being said, a curious thing I wanted to bring to you more experienced owners that I noticed the other day was a half inch mashed section just along edge of one of my wheels with a small crack down
    the inside of the spoke. I haven't hit any curbs or potholes and cannot figure out where this came from... or even, if it is safe to be driving on ?? Anyone have any ideas or info on such an occurance? Could it be from driving on rough roads?? I am still getting acquainted with this car and have been driving very carefully! any info is greatly appreciated, thx! gina
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Wow, you've had quite a few problems on your TT. My 02 225 TT convt. is going back in two days from a 3 yr lease. For comparison, I've had similar problems with mine. Mine has burned oil and coolant as well. Both went dry on me in between 10k service trips with no explanantion other than Audi saying the heads on the turbo engines are "porous". I thought maybe Audi is just feigning ignorance, but maybe they're not, don't know what's worse. My TT burns a quart of oil every 3k miles. My gas gauge has never worked either, thankfully my trip meter has so I go by that. The silver lining in all this is that I didn't have to pay for any of this maintenance since I bought new and it was under warranty. I always got an A4 courtesy car so I didn't mind. The only thing I paid for were new tires (Pilots lasted only 24k miles, put on Toyo Proxes for cheap, $500 drive out). The problems never got to me since I knew from day one I wasn't going to keep the car past the lease/warranty. I would suggest you sell yours before you pick up the tab for the next engine. Good luck.
  • fred48fred48 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the front brakes done on our 2000 TT at 77000 miles.
    The new rotors are drilled. Are drilled rotors factory standard?
    The brakes are making a "ticking" noise at all speeds and a "whirling" noise
    (like a turbo winding down) once the speed is down to about 30 up to a complete stop.
  • daissy1daissy1 Member Posts: 2
    hey, i saw that your glove box broke too. did you fix it how do i get a new one. its not covered under warrenty
  • bigbluetacobigbluetaco Member Posts: 3
    I'm really sorry to hear about everyone's TT probs. I have an 02 ALMS Coupe and I LOVE IT. Of course, this is not my daily driver. I have an 05 Tacoma for that. The TT goes on trips up the coast and is only driven on 3 days out of the week. My only suggestion to everyone is if you're going to drive any German car daily, it's bound to have problems and you should consider a Japanese car. That's the trade off for great handling and great looks. TTs are true sports cars..especially the Quattros. I've driven Porsches and BMWs....I prefer my TT over both. I still have a 92 BMW that is in excellent condition....but that's b/c it wasn't a daily driver as well.

I guess my point is...don't purchase a TT if you're not prepared to treat it the way you should treat any sports car...with care and with a thick wallet.
  • chief8chief8 Member Posts: 1
    The creaking noise you hear may be the stabilizer bar. They have plastic attachments that shear off and the creak is them rubbing. I had that issue and after the mechanic got tired of seeing me they finally diagnosed and replaced the problem. I have also had the lock fall off in my hand. At first I thought I had gripped it too tight but now I've seen 3-4 posts on that. They gave me a temp fix and I'm treating that box with kit gloves. I had a new one the other day. Pulled the emergency brake up and got out of my car to get something out of the hatch, and pow, the metal tip to the emergency break had popped off and became a missile within the car.

I have also had to have the power steering arm replaced and the CD player. Still have a slight hesitation and noise when trying to accelerate sharply from the light. Other than that no other real issues. Thank God... Still wish I would have bought the Vette, though this car is an eye catcher, if that is what you want. I drive autobahns in Germany so I'm looking to get from one place to another quickly, in style and in comfort. Think the defects are purely from the cheap Hungarian labor and lack of quality control by Audi. I have almost 70,000 miles and it is 30 months old.
  • sunrise1sunrise1 Member Posts: 1
    I used to enjoy driving my TT 1200miles in a day from UK to Italy a few times over the summer however the French police are no longer making it fun and targeting British divers!! Fines have just gone up to £500-£1,000 so serious stuff now. I decided it was time to become boring and have cruise control fitted to my 3.2 V6 DSG 2003 model. The garage said this was fine took the car in however have just had a call telling me it isn't possible to retro fit this - v cross. Has anyone else had cruise control retro fitted - pl let me know?

I have recently had a few problems with the car being unresponsive - the diagnostics has produced a 9 pg error report!! - big problems with the injectors and engine manifold. It appears there is a problem with the settings and the garage are waiting for a new CD to set the car after replacing part. There is obviously a problem here so those luckily enough to have a 3.2 V6 DSG watch out at 30,000 miles.

I was surprised to read all the problems that some people have had with there 225's. Before my 3.2 V6 DSG I had a 225 1999 model that went back to Germany following the inital bad press and was made up to a 2000 spec - sold the car at 60,0000miles + and had no problems.

I agree the TT's are hungrey on tyres well I suppose it depends whether you drive the TT how it's meant to be - well thats my excuse and sticking to it. Anyway if you want something that sticks like glue in all weathers gives and wonderful quiet then Pirelli P Zero's it has to be and believe me I have had more tyres on my TT's then my credit cards would like. The P Zeros are soft so you do get through them fairly quickly under 20,000 miles however are well worth it yeah!
  • jon_jon_ Member Posts: 5
    2001 225HP TT Coupe, purchased w/ all upgrades except Navigation...

I'm posting this so to let others know the problems I've run across with my TT.
    Before getting into too much detail, I still like my car! Its 5 years old and people
    still ask me if its new. :) I just wish it was designed with much higher quality...
    I currently have just under 80K miles and I do ~85% of my driving on freeways. I
    do not drive my car hard anymore (but used to for the first 20K or so).

List of problems in no particular order (mostly as I remembered them):

1) If you let the car sit in the garage/driveway for more than 48 hours, you need
    to turn the key twice in the ignition to get it to start
    2) Battery failed - was replaced under warranty. Apparently this is a very expensive
    battery because it is filled with gel or something in order to survive the amount of
    engine vibrations it experiences. Had to be special ordered because there were
    none available where I lived.
    3) The auto up/down feature of the window when you open/close the door stopped
    working for a while. Eventually it started working again... Never root caused. But
    I have a hunch as to why. The trunk hatch has two feet which mate with two
    cavities in the car body. My son (without my knowledge) dumped part of a nilla
    wafer in one of those cavities one day. I didn't notice it because the trunk was
    closing just fine. The day I found the bits of cookie and removed them was the
    day the windows started working again... Weird huh?
    4) Fuel gauge reads more than 1/4 full when car is empty... Apparently this is a
    very common problem and requires the entire instrument cluster to be replaced.
    Oh well, guess I'll be living with this one. At least the distance till empty reading
    is accurate on the trip computer.
    5) At around 45K mi, the temp gauge starts reading high. Used to point exactly
    vertical during operation. Now its typical position is halfway between vertical and
    the next mark to the right. Also, when first purchased, the max the temp gauge
    ever reached was one mark to the right of vertical (under extreme heavy driving).
    Now, with regular freeway driving, the temp will get as high as the 2nd to the
    right of vertical. When this happens, the AC cuts out (I expect that this is a safety
    feature).
    6) 20K miles on OEM tires (and how expensive are they!?!? oh my!). Next set of
    tires (non-OEM) actually lasted 55K so am happy about that.
    7) Burns oil at about 1qt ever 5K to 8K miles. Before 50K miles, the car didn't
    burn any oil at all.
    8) When you turn the car on, sometimes the tachometer pegs itself all the way
    to the left (further left than when the car is off). It then corrects after 2 to 3
    seconds.
    9) One horizontal line of trip computer display no longer works. Entire top left of
    trip computer display fades to black when temperature outside is hot.
    10) Check engine light came on twice. First for something called a crossover
    valve failure, the second time I think it was the mass air flow sensor. Both under
    warranty and replaced without question.
    11) Windshield breaks easily when hit by a rock thrown up by cars in front. Have
    now had the windshield replaced 3 times. The first time, they had to special order
    it from Europe. The windshield alone cost over $1000, not including labor. The
    last windshield cost about $500 including labor so prices are going down.
    12) Headlight power washer nozzles popped out (each headlight has a pop-up
    power washer with two nozzles on it. Each washer has lost one nozzle. Dealer says
    they must replace entire pop-up device instead of just the nozzle itself... Seems
    costly, I am living with this one). Plus, parts have to be special ordered.
    13) Shocks and brakes needed to be special ordered... Do you sense a theme
    about replacements yet... Can I repeat... Needs to be special ordered.
    14) Felt linings on handles on back of rear seats fell off.
    15) Little compartment where the first aid kit is opens on its own for no particular
    reason. I just reach back and close it. A few thousand miles later, it will open up
    again.
    16) In parking lots, they have those concrete bumpers so you don't drive too far
    forward... There was one that had a piece of metal sticking a couple of inches up
    out of it. Well, drove over the piece of metal no problem going forward, but when
    reversed back, it pulled on the front bumper just a little bit (no damage to bumper).
    Underneath the car is a large plastic plate covering the entire engine area. This
    plate fell out a few days later but was still partially attached so it dragged on the
    ground for a while. I was able to put it back on myself.
    17) So far, only one flat tire.
    18) There are two low oil displays... One for when you should add oil, another for
    "stop driving now!". The more severe one just came on one day. I shut the car off
    and checked the oil, it was a bit low but not that low (see oil burning note above).
    Turned the car back on and the light did not come back on.
    I hope I don't have to add too many replies as more problems that I have come
    to my mind.

I did forget too mention one other problem. There is now a slight whistling of air
    through the drivers side window when it is fully up. When going through car
    washes, a slight mist of water gets into the car through that window. This is new
    within the last 5K miles.

My wife and I are planning on buying a minivan soon and I have to make a
    decision about which car to trade in. Either the very-reliable-but-bland-looking
    Honda Accord with ~130K miles or the somewhat-problematic-but-very-cool-looking
    Audi TT with ~80K miles. Choices choices. I am having a very hard time
    deciding. If I trade in the Audi, I think I'll regret it later on. Then again, if only I were
    able to look 40K miles into the future! :)
  • ash4153ash4153 Member Posts: 3
    can anyone tell me if there is a way to turn out the airbag warning light on the dash ?
    according to my local Audi dealer there is no problem with the airbags, its just a fault on a electronic unit called a ECU ( i think thats what he called it ! ) . anyway to replace this unit just to turn the light out on the dash is either £250 or £560 depending on which one the car has fitted ! HELP ! :cry:
  • little_chaplittle_chap Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I think I have a similar problem to you. I'm a UK owner of an early TT and find the car is extremely hesitant when it's cold and ticks over a bit lumpy for a few minutes. It also 'lurches' along slightly. This is only for the first mile and then as soon as is warms up things are fine. Audi delaer can't find out what is wrong, computer readings are fine. Have even left it with them for a cold start and they still can't trace it. Have had a new air mass meter and now a coolant temperature sensor all to no avail. Have you any more news on what your problem is?

Regards

Jason Harris
    i've solved all my TT problems now.... i've sold it !!!
  • cvdbcvdb Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which non-OEM tires you used (the ones that lasted you 55K). After 2 expesive speeding tickets I will take it a bit easier and will therefore consider going with alternative tires :-) Please also let me know if you experienced any performance impacts.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris,

For the tires that went 55K miles, I was using Goodyear Eagle RS-A. But... They had a lower speed rating than the OEM tires and I wasn't using the stock size (225/45R17) that came with the car (and unfortunately, I don't remember the size anymore). I didn't notice any performance difference other than that the Goodyears were noisier on the road (and my speedometer wasn't totally accurate which may be a problem considering your prior tickets :) ). I now have Sumitomo HTR+ in the proper size. I bought these strictly because of price (<$500 total). I do notice a difference between them and the Goodyears. I don't know the technical way of describing this but when changing lanes (or just turning hard) I always felt an instant response with the Goodyears. With the Sumitomos, it feels like there is a small lag. I only noticed this for the first week or so and am assuming that its still there but I become used to it.

Hope this helps,
    -Jon
  • sjaudittsjauditt Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2000 TT for about 3 years now. Presently it's at 50K miles. Since getting the car this is the list of things that have gone wrong with the car.

bad cluster, replaced twice (extended warranty)
    faulty radio, replaced (extended warranty)
    wrong fuel guage reading, fixed (extended waranty)
    peeling upholstery, fixed (not covered by warranty)
    burnt out headlight fixed (not covered by warranty)

Things I still have but not fixed:

rattling with interior moulding on rear window
    side view mirror that does not heat up (not covered by extended warranty)

I have a "popping sound" too that's coming from underneath the car somewhere as I switch from first to second gear. Any ideas what this could be? I took to the dealership, but they had no idea. Thanks.
  • alexspyalexspy Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem my air bag light is on on my audi tt . can any one tell me what to do ????/ :confuse:
  • alexspyalexspy Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if there is a way to turn out the airbag warning light on the dash ?
    according to my local Audi dealer there is no problem with the airbags, THANKS :confuse:
    the only way to turn the airbag light out on the dash is to replace the ECU. depending on which one it is it will cost you £261.80 or £560 plus Audi dealer will charge £170 for fitting plus the VAT ! but any desent mechanic can fit it a lot cheaper than Audi. only other option is to live with it as it doesnt mean the airbags are necessarily faulty. but if you come to sell it you will have to get it done anyway..... as i did ! luckily mine was the £261.80 one
  • mleajankomleajanko Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 92 celica (love it - but toyota has discounted it) and am in desperate need of buying a new car. I finally have the means to afford a nice sports car and have looked into the TT. My main concern at this point is the tires. From what Ive been reading it comes with summer stock tires, which Id have to replace with All Season tires (I live in NY). Is this car worth the additional cost before I even pull off the lot? Any suggestions? Ive also looked at the cheaper 06 Eclipse but am reluctant to buy a new remodeled edition teh first year out.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!!
  • david_gdavid_g Member Posts: 2
    I should probably count my blessings since I have had practically no problems with my 2001 180 Roadster. Recently, when closing the top the latch appears to not fully engage the "closed" sensor or micro-switch unless I grab the handle with two hands and really force it with all my strength. Unless I do this the dash light indicating a partially opened top stays on and the windows do not automatically roll up all the way. Anyone ever have this problem and how did you fix it? :confuse:

David G.
  • bobdibobdi Member Posts: 1
    Can't say this car has been anything but reliable since I bought it new very soon after it hit showrooms. I did have the instrument cluster problem I see many others have experienced. Instrument cluster lights would quit working (not good) for no reason. Fixed under warranty on the third try when the whole cluster was replaced by the dealer. No problem since.
    My reason for visiting the forum is that I am currently having an overheating problem. My excellent repair shop has gone down the trouble resolution path replacing the sensor that activates the cooling fans and putting in a new thermostat. He was about to replace the water pump, when I started overheating and called on the owner who I have known for 15+ years. He worked on it and found hydrocarbons in the antifreeze. Looks like a had gasket or cracked head.
    Anyone else have this type of experience with their TT. If so, did you have a similar problem.
  • albyjalbyj Member Posts: 1
    Hey do you know how to adjust the time and date on an 01 audi tt? I changed my battery out of my keyless entry and now it wont lock or unlock what should i do?
  • tmounttmount Member Posts: 1
    I have been having a problem restarting my TT after driving for a while. If you cut it off, it will not immediately start. If you let it sit for a while and "cool off" it starts fine.

Anyone with those problems?
  • flannflann Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 225BHP TT and in the last 6 months it's REALLY started to bug me. The latest problem is with the power steering - when turning hard left or right it feels like the wheels are rubbing the wheel-arches. The steering also feels like it has too much play in that I seem to be turning the wheel a lot more than I should have to! The dealer says that the Haldex unit is not working and needs to be replaced - has anybody any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • daissy1daissy1 Member Posts: 2
    hey what is the temp fix for the glove box...
  • mareemaree Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I'm trying to make a decision here regarding the RACK system for my 2001 TT Roadster. I wondered if ANYONE out there has used the EXPENSIVE - $1000.00 trunk rack that Audi sells? It's nice looking, good for luggage and skis. But the Audi dealer here in Portland has only sold 1 or 2 since the Roadster came out!!! So, no real history or advice as to how well it works. I'm not worried about permanency on my car, just something nice looking and functional to haul my [non-permissible content removed] and my skis to the mountain!

Thank you!!
    ~ maree
  • robm4robm4 Member Posts: 2
    My handle on my glove box came off. How I got into the box was by opening the door and removing the side cover on the dash. Should hard, but it comes right off and pops back on. There is a hole and if your use a small screwdriver and place it in the hold it will push in the rod on the glove box.
    rob
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • jeeyoungjeeyoung Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. I got it when I lived in California. I got a job in new york so I shipped it to my parents so that they can drive around. I didn't want to sell it. I love the car. I have 2003 convertible midnight blue and it is beautiful. Anyways, during the winter, when my mom pulls away from the drive way, it stalls and feels like it is going to stop. When the car slows down at the traffic light, there is a hiccup. Took the car to the dealer and asked and they said when car changes gears, there is this gap and it feels like a hiccup. But even my civic didn't do that. How can I fix this?
  • jeeyoungjeeyoung Member Posts: 3
    Please call AUDI Advocate immediately 1-800-822-2834 (AUDI) with your problem. We need to let AUDI know these issues. I am so frustrated.
This discussion has been closed.