Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Silverado Transmission Failure

Comments

• Options
    cooncreekercooncreeker Member Posts: 3
    The pickup has about 17,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    its under warranty correct?
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    If you bought it before today 3 yrs. ago your out of warranty. If you bought after today 3 years ago you still are under warranty, but act fast ! How on earth did you blow a transmission line ??? 30+ years of driving Iv'e never blown a trans. line.
  • Options
    It is still under warranty. I don't know if I blew a transmission line. I'm just guessing that a hose or fitting broke loose this morning which then sprayed tranny fluid all over the place. I'm also guessing that the hose or fitting must be connected to the transmission radiator since the fluid was sprayed in the engine compartment. I was hoping that somebody might have some suggestions of things that I should ask the service department to make sure that it gets fixed properly. Basically, I want to make sure that they don't put a bandage on the problem just to get me by until the warranty expires.
  • Options
    Is the trans toast?

Do you have the factory towing pkg (hitch?)

It could be the transmission cooler lines that failed. I have heard it happen on blazers before

Let us know what the service dept says!

Good Luck
  • Options
    I don't know if the transmission is ruined. I would assume that it was at least damaged, if not ruined. Yes, the pickup does have the towing package along with the transmission cooler.

If the line going to the transmission cooler breaks, will the transmission lose all of it's fluid? Or, will just lose the fluid that is in the cooler and then leave enough fluid in the transmission case to protect the transmission itself?
  • Options
    I dont think itll loose all the fluid. The people with blazers just had to get the trans cooler line fix add some fluid and all was good again i believe. This is if you didnt drive for an ext period of time losing fluid.
  • Options
    was the fluid in the pass side area? I checked the helms manual and it looks like the trans cooler connects on the pass side are up front.

My guess is the cooler line broke.

have you taken the truck in? Any word on it from service?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Rather than create separate topics for individual problem posts, please try to keep things in existing topics like Silverado Problems/Fixes.

Just trying to avoid having 1000 different small topics and the difficulty that leads to in finding topics that cover what you're after. Thanks!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
This discussion has been closed.