Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• pompiliuspompilius Member Posts: 54
    all these reports of $295 with zero down leases are making me really eager to dump my lease and go get a GTO.

I have been leasing a 2002 Acura TL-S at $395 per month + taxes, downpayment was $1,500 total, with 15K miles per year, 4 years total. I thought that was a great lease deal, but these GTO deals are so much sweeter.

Now how can I dump my lease? :(
    Probably I will have to wait one more year till my lease ends and hope that the FOURTH transmission in my Acura doesn't break.

(I know about leasetrader.com or swapalease.com, already tried to use them before to trade my RX300 lease, but was stopped by Toyota financial, Honda would probably stop me too with my Acura)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    Perhaps leasing is not for you.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

perhaps Acura makes crappy transmissions.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I think you're right about the crappy transmissions. While scheduling an appointment for my 10K checkup, the service guy at the Acura dealership told me that they were backlogged with recall work on the MDX gearboxes. Oh well...

I heard (and read) a lot about the bland styling of the GTO. Aside from the wheels, this thing looks like the sleeper that it is. I'm currently driving an Acura RSX, but I'm anxious to test drive a 6-speed GTO!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Congrats. A few tips from another relatively new GTO owner (less than a month, Cosmos A4). First, check your tire pressure. They're shipped with 60 psi in the tires, and most dealers don't do the PDI correctly/at all, so check that out. Also look for red spring spacer/clips on the rear suspension, and styrofoam shipping blocks (you'll hear creaking noises from the front end), just to make sure that stuff is gone.

There is a TSB out for "thunk in the trunk" - cars built after a VIN breakpoint starting in April are supposed to have the fix already (my May car did not). Also, be aware that there's another TSB that allows the dealer to use the Tech tool to turn down the brightness of the MPH indicator. And finally, be VERY careful trying to wash or clay your car - the paint is fairly soft and chips/scratches easily (with under 1k miles, I already have a half-dozen stone chips on the hood :-(

Happy motoring,

--Robert
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Thanks! Didn't know about the MPH indicator thing; definitely too bright. I fixed my air problem; it was a vaccuum line that had split and come loose. I just poked around under the hood until I found it. Tires were at 32 lbs and I also checked for the spacers/blocks and I guess they got those too. I found a shipping check sheet in the trunk (taped to the floor mat shipping carton) and it shows an initial shipping inspection of March 1, 2004. Now I just have to figure out the dash display settings, etc. First coat of Zaino is setting up now....
    zaino=good
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Toyota Financial stopped you? I would ask before i buy my next car form any make, can i trade the lease in, and i'd make the sales rep sign a pledge thats it is doable.

Does anyone know if other makes also do this to customers, block the trading in of a lease?

If this problem is relegated only to toyota, then please remind me never to lease one, I guess toyota spells lease T-R-A-P.

Is there anything else you are planning on doing? maybe GM could somehow buy the lease from you and treat the car as a trade in? I am not familiar with these processes because i never lease anything (i am a posession freak :P) but are there any options left on the table so you can get your GTO?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    How about 0% for 72 months. My payments would have been around $439. If I had known about this when I leased my GTO I may have waited and bought it.

Oh well, I am having too much fun anyway.
  • jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    I am waiting for the 05's to come out to buy mine, I have gotten some really good prices on some 04's but by next summer the 05's will be on sale again when I am ready to buy. I dont want to put this car through the winter as soon as I buy it. My question is, what kind of insurance rates are you guys (and gals) paying on this car? I know it depends a lot on age and driving record but I would be interested to know what the range is. I am 23 and paying $1200 a year right now on my 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 w/Navi sedan.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Wow, I just can't believe the pricing on GTO's. With the cash back, probably close to invoice price (GMS or something), and some GM card money, it's like $26k. One could take the car right to Lingenfelter and have a brand new 450hp GTO for about $33k. Amazing! And I like that the car doesn't have hood scoops, etc. :)
    That seems really cheap for your insurance. Who is your carrier? For my GTO and my wife's Rendezvous we pay about $3200 per year. My rates seem high to me. I am going to have to check other companies. Funny thing is that the RDV costs more to insure than the GTO.
    Wow thats really high for 2 cars. I had a car and a truck on my policy before and it was only $1600. I go through Unitrin Direct. Their rates are awesome and customer service is first class. I dont have a crazy amount of coverage 100,000/300,000 and $500 deductables.
    Insurance on my wife's 2001 GTP and my 2004 GTO is $1300/yr total ($610/yr. GTP, $690/yr. GTO - $500 deductible). I'm almost 39 and my wife is a little older (she'd kill me if I told her age :-). We're in the Milwaukee area, no tickets or accidents in at least 8 years (knock wood). Also have home, life, and $1M umbrella through the same insurance company...

--Robert
    What part of Milwaukee?? I was born there, now live in metro Detroit. All of my family except my parents and brother still live in Wisconsin. I actually visit the Milwaukee area a couple times per year. Grandparents have a house at 76th and Bluemound. I used to live in Greendale.
    Have a cottage in Lake Tomahawk that we go to every summer.
    I am really going to have to shop around for rates after hearing about others here. May I ask who your insurance carrier is? Thanks.
    I'm from about 30 miles north of Milwaukee, but live about 20 minutes west (Waukesha). Conversely, my wife is from Rochester, MI, was a DJ in Saginaw/Midland for 18 years, and is now a Wisconsinite by transplant. We still make the occasional Michigan runs and bring back trunkloads of (Diet) Vernors, so you can't quite take the Michigan out of the Michigander...

My insurance provider is American Family - they're the 800 pound gorilla in this state (based in Madison)...

--Robert
    Funny, I live in Rochester, my wife is from Saginaw and my father grew up on a farm in Mukwanago. Small world.
    I think even if they kept the style the same I got a big feeling that if GM put in Xenons and Nav (as lets say a "techno" option) that the GTO would not need these ridiculous rebates.

I mean yea, many people are waiting for the new mustang, and many won't buy it cuz its a legendary American nameplate now that is imported, but...

You could catch other customers who don't care, but do care about the latest features at least as much as power.

What do you guys think, would modern features help the GTO? New Cadillacs all have these features, i mean style and marketing helped but these features are there, its no coincidence IMHO, that without these features the new caddy's would retain the old mans car image.
  • kentmoonkentmoon Member Posts: 44
    I am on third tanks of gas and all of suddent my car is doing much better in mileage (24 mpg combined freeway and local driving vs. about 21 mpg before). Does new car need a break in to get published mileage?

I took in to a dealer to adjust MPH indicator, but I don't think they put mileage booster.

By the way, I am up to 1000 miles and enjoying problem free and quality driving.
    Is yours an automatic of 6-speed? I want to get an automatic because I enjoy the comfort and convienance of not having to shift. (Plus I am not real good at it). And with the 05s the auto will be faster than the 6-speed anyway. I am boggled why the 6-speed gets such better mileage according to the window sticker? What RPM is the GTO at in the 6-speed at 70MPG compared to the automatic? While I was out looking at other cars I noticed that manual transmission cars seem to have better mileage around town and automatics on the highway get the better mileage. Any help would be great!
  • exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    The manual has two more extra gears than the auto. The top(sixth) gear ratio of the manual is 0.57 vs the auto’s top(fourth) of 0.7, both trans axle ratio is 3.46. Plus the efficiency in transferring engine power to the drive wheels is much better with the manual, I think..

Where did you hear that the 05’s auto will be faster than the manual? Both trans is mated to the same engine. I think the manual is better and faster. IMO, The manual tramsmission is one of the attributes of a true sports car.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Disagree. Xenons and Nav only drive price up; price has been one of the problems GTO has not been able to overcome. Xenons are semi-useful but are, in my opinion, unnecessary complexities and are VERY expensive to fix/repair. I know the Lincoln drivers are getting tired of replacing $900 "bulbs" every 30,000 miles. Nav is fine, but requires extensive dashboard changes. Adding these "options" only gives the dealers more opportunities to gouge customers. "Sure it's an option, but that's the only way we stock 'em." GTO is not about competing with Cadillac or Mercedes; it's about horsepower, torque, and reasonable price.
    I agree with white6 to disagree. Unless the body shell is replaced, this GTO is a mid $20k car.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    For what it's worth, I just paid $877 for six months for my 98 GTP, my wife's 2001 Pathfinder, and my new GTO. I don't know how much each one is individually. That price seems reasonable to me. I will be getting rid of the GTP eventually but for now I can't pass up having an extra car (and a supercharged one at that) around for less than $600 a year (the insurance). I'm insured with Allstate...
    if you can get Nav and Xenon in say... a 350Z, for the same price as a GTO without these features, then why not?

And yes, these features do make dealers gouge prices, instead of offering profit eating, resale killing rebates. Why? because these features are relatively new and very cool, bottom line.

and you know what, the sales show it. Personally, i will not buy an over 30K car if it does not have these features, i don't care if it has 1000hp. It does not impress.

and as for the lincoln bulbs, thats fords fault for crappy design/supplier part. Look, I just don't understand if these features are available in a 25K nissan ALTIMA, why not a 35K Pontiac GTO?
    >>>Xenons and Nav only drive price up; price has been one of the problems GTO has not been able to overcome.<<<

Well, if GM did something about keeping the price the same AND including the NAV and HIDs... that would be something.

Currently they are losing money on rebates and slow sales AND are being badmouthed for not inlcluding these features. Instead they could be getting more people interested in the car, maybe they would lose some money initially, but it would pay off in the long run.
  • andyandy Member Posts: 21
    having more standard equipment is exactly what the GTO does not need. The problem is the price for a "pontiac".

Features are not what make a car great. You can probably get a hyundai with xenons and navigation, but it sure won't stir the passion like a gto would.
    The 05 with the LS6 with an automatic will do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and the 6-speed will do 0-60 in 4.8.
  • sukinsynsukinsyn Member Posts: 23
    >>>What do you guys think, would modern features help the GTO? New Cadillacs all have these features, i mean style and marketing helped but these features are there, its no coincidence IMHO, that without these features the new caddy's would retain the old mans car image.<<<

I am looking at the GTO, the 2005 Mustang, a Infiniti G35 Manual and an Acura TL Manual transmission...

The Acura and Infiniti come fully loaded for $33k...and you work them down from there.

Plus you get a sunroof...

I am looking at all four....my current lease is up in 60 days and I have wiggle room on which one to go with.

I test drove the GTO today...it was nice, however, spare as far as amenities.

I have to see the Mustang to make my decision. The pics look great.

Two four door *sport* sedans vs. two muscle cars...I just don't know what to do!
    From MEDIA.GM.COM, &#147;&#147;The car is capable of 186 mph (300 km/h), faster than any production Corvette in history. It reaches zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.2 seconds, and in 4.1 seconds with the optional Z51 Performance Package, and covers the quarter-mile in 12.6 seconds at 114 mph (183 km/h)&#148;&#148;

The automatic is not available with the Z51 Performance Package, the above figure is for 2005 Corvette with the Tremec six speed manual, I bet.

Again, where did you get your info? Maybe the driver who tested the car, who provided your 0 to 60 numbers is not good enough to drive a manual shift.
    The 0-60 numbers were released from GM. I can not remember where, I will look for them later. They did list the auto as being .2 seconds faster than the manual.
    The auto trans in the GTO has the same gear ratios, but without the performance algorithm shifting of the vette. The six speed manual in the GTO has similar gear ratios as the vette six speed with the Z51 sport package.

This 2005 Corvette 6 spd with the Z51 package has a top speed of 186 mph. It reaches 0 to 62 mph in 4.1 sec and covers the quarter mile in 12.sec. The GTO has 5 ft./lbs less torque, GTOs 5th gear ratio is 0.84 to vette&#146;s 0.71..

In view of the above, the only way, the automatic GTO can outspeed the manual counterpart, is if the driver does not know how to shift manually.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    what about the rear differential? is that the same?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Several months ago I raised the issue of rising gas prices and fuel mileage. Everyone flamed me then saying, this is a muscle car, if you have to ask the GTO is not for you.
    Almost for the 6 speed. 3.42 for the vette, 3.46 for the GTO. Source is media.gm.com
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    If you absolutely need those features then you should buy the Altima. The GTO will never have those options. The GTO is about performance, not electronic gadgetry.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    September = 2678
    YTD = 8229

A HUGE month indeed!
    IMO, the purpose of the GTO is to give the consumers corvette performance without the vette price. Backseat is a bonus. If you keep adding expensive features, then it defeats the purpose
    of the GTO.

What the GTO needs is a fresh body. A racy modern looking design combining the looks of the firebird and the old GTO. A body design that when you look at the car, no matter how racy or modern the styling is, you can see traces or DNA of the original GTO.

Though expensive at first. I believe GM will have good returns on the long run.
    "A HUGE month indeed!"

Yeahh!!! Due to incentives.

If this scenario continues next year. I could smell the death of the GTO.

I am willing to pay no more than 25 grand for a cavalier on steroids. That is, next year If I can steal a 2005 6 speed GTO for $25,000, I'll do it.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    If GM killed every model that was being subsidized by incentives they'd have nothing to sell.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• ua01682ua01682 Member Posts: 48
    You may be right on the A4 v 6M... however regarding the 2005 GTO I asked the same question in several GTO forums... learned that the 2005 A4 GTO automatic has a "launch mode". I am not sure what that means exactly. Anyone else?
    Forgot to post earlier! Any news on incentives for October on the 2004 GTO?
    .9/1.9/2.9 or $3500 cash back.
    So, you do not like the styling but would buy one for $25k? Have you driven one yet? You must also remember that GM factors rebates into their pricing structures. They know that they are needed to move their cars. GTO will stay and be moved to the Zeta paltform in 07.
    Launch mode... my 04 A4 has this as well. Basically, when you put the car into gear, the rear suspension squats down a couple of inches... gets the adrenaline flowing :-)
    >.9/1.9/2.9 or $3500 cash back. <

If you finance at the low rates through GMAC, you also get the $3500 bonus. That's a no-brainer (assuming one qualifies)...
    >I am willing to pay no more than 25 grand for a cavalier on steroids<

If you had ever driven the car you'd know it's not even remotely close to a "Cavalier on steroids".

--Robert
    While I agree with you that GTO could use a new body, I'm saying that the body we see today could sell if equipped right, and BTW, GM could add some of these features to the GTO without bumping th cost, for example, on the 500 forums, one poster figured out the difference between 500/montego (montego having xenon and LED) is actually like few hundred bucks.

And Xenons are very flashy, anyone looking at your lights will tell your driving a modern machine.

With a few hundred bucks, meybe GM could lower its incentives at least 500 bucks, be making 300 or so extra in profit and give us a better GTO.

Many of these features really are not that expensive, only the Nav really is, and that could be on the options list along with the lights. I do not think Xenons, even as options, are "Expensive" on a 35K car. And as options it means if you don't want then, you don't buy them and keep your GTO at a more reasonable price point...
    I agree that maybe the GTO is missing some options, but I believe that GM was trying to simplify the process and bring them over here without any options - just auto or manual.

The major options that do not exist are-

nenons
    sunroof
    nav
    heated seats

That is about all I can think of. For me, I am glad it does not come with a sunroof (I do not fit in most cars with them). The rest of the options I could care less about. Heated seats would be nice since I live in Michigan but I can understand not offering them since most likely half of the buyers live in climates where they are not necessary.

From what I hear the 05 is only increasing price by very little - less than $1k.
    Pardon me bigdaddygoats... but didn't that expire 9/30? Dealer is telling me that it did... and Edmunds.com http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=2&mod- - elId=100502928&setzip=77459&state=TX&tid=edmunds.n.in- - centivesindex.incentives.2.2.Pontiac* doesn't show ".9/1.9/2.9 or $3500 cash back.".
This discussion has been closed.