Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey bro,

Live and let live, you know? I personally chose not to name my Jeep, but I'm cool with anyone else doing it if they so choose. I like the idea that people love their Jeeps...And the fact that they express a little of their own personality by naming their Jeep makes me feel more comfortable asking questions and getting information from this board. It's been a great source of information for someone like my who previously knew NOTHING about automobiles. I definitely feel like I know a thing or two about Jeeps now!

yellowman

p.s. - Happy B-day Thelma Jane :-)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Other people besides jeepers name their cars. A friend of mine calls his car Rhonda. Rhonda is a CRV.
  • kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    Haven't posted for a while, but I'm a religious reader. I wasn't going to name my Jeep, but after it started biting people, I named it Dracula. First it bit my hand when I was fiddling with the soft top one day. Then the windshield wiper spring put two holes in my dad's finger - looked just like a vampire bite. Dracula is fitting for a black Jeep that bites people.
  • nycjeepernycjeeper Member Posts: 6
    Good bye.

Thanks to mac24 for the http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ link. Much more appropriate for what I need.

texasjeep can take a big hit from my tailpipe. How the subject of hypocrisy has entered into this, I'll never know. You should learn to mind your business, pal.

At any rate, this forum has become something of a joke in recent months - take a look for yourselves. What was, at one point, a very useful collection of tips, hints and shared information has become a sanctuary for the lonely and/or socially inept who have but one thing in common: they drive Jeep Wranglers.

I love my car - but this is just silly. I'm sure many people agree with me, but the only regular posters will attack me as soon as I raise the flag of dissension. This site does not belong to you people and my opinions are still, despite your disagreement, valid. As has happened before, I am fairly certain that this post will be deleted and commented upon by our intrepid HOST, but I will never lay down on my position for anyone or for any reason.

Haven't posted for a while, but I'm a religious reader. I wasn't going to name my Jeep, but after it started biting people, I named it Dracula. First it bit my hand when I was fiddling with the soft top one day. Then the windshield wiper spring put two holes in my dad's finger - looked just like a vampire bite. Dracula is fitting for a black Jeep that bites people.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    bye!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. Thelma Jane says "bye" too. :)
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    I would like to thank all of you at Edmunds who have given me direction in the purchase and now the tracking of my jeep. Because of this board I have been able to make some educated decisions about useful and not-so-useful options that would not have been possible with some of the other sites. I do not find the "hard-core" jeep sites beneficial because I do not plan to make all those modifications to my jeep. And that seems to be all that is discussed on those sites. I will say that the "hard-core" sites do provide a very valuable service to those who are looking for that in a jeep. During the past few months I have made new friends with similar interests and learned a great deal about parts of the country that I haven't been able to see for myself. And I have discovered new ways to enjoy my jeep once it arrives. It is going to make owning a jeep much more enjoyable.

I am not sure if I will name my jeep, but those who do certainly add spice to the postings. And they seem to be having a tremendous amount of fun with their jeeps. And that seems to be the reason for owning a jeep. Again, thanks Edmunds!

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Happy birthday, Thelma Jane!!!

larry18
    Your Jeep is supposed to have left Armourdal, Kansas, whatever that is. It's fun tracking the progress along with you. I'll check again before the end of the day.

Thelma appreciates the birthday wishes from everyone.

c ya

tsjay

• blb3318blb3318 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any advice on putting a DVD in their wrangler. I heard that http://dvdsuperstore.iwonstores.com has some good stuff.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Well folks, it happened again. I went today after work to pay my insurance payment and got back into the car to leave. When I did turn the key...nothin' so I had to call the shop to tell them to send a tow to pick it up. What else is gonna hit me and cost me more money that I don't have? I hope after I fix this that I can make it through school...and then...it's JEEPSTER TIME BABY!!! :)

Oh and to those that say this site is for all intensive purposes useless...several new Jeep owners BEG TO DIFFER!!! I find this site quite informative and most of the posters informative, helpful and very curtious (unlike other big bad post-challenged individuals)....and to make my final comment on that subject...OSTA LA VISTA BABY!!!

Larry,

Can't wait to see those photos of your new baby ;-) Jeep baby that is.

You tell em tomster!

Mud Hole Gang...United We Stand!

Hug your Jeeps for me!

dwrangler
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Hi all- I think I posted this once before, but thought there may be some new viewers out there.

My 2001 Wrangler automatic does not downshift to first gear at a stop when cold. It shifts fine when warmed up. The shop said it might be a vacuum or modulator problem. I haven't gotten serious about fixing it, because I don't think its serious.

Anyone else experienced this? I've looked through the TSBs with no luck.
    I would sure take it to the dealer as soon as possible, if I were you. There's no use in putting up with that, since your Jeep is under warranty. It could get worse and leave you stranded somewhere.

Just my two cent's worth.

tsjay

• dsgoddadsgodda Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara. It leaks water every time it rains. The water drips onto the front floorboards from under the dash on both sides. It has been to the dealer 10 times in the last 21 months, but still isn't fixed. My Wrangler has more silicon sealant slathered under the hood and dash than you can believe. Has anyone else had this problem? Where was the leak? Thanks.
    A couple of us have had leaks where the heater box goes through the fire wall, but that leak should be only on the passeger side.

How about your windshield seal at the bottom where the windshield can fold forward? That ever been checked out? That rubber seal between the bottom of the windshield frame and the body of the Jeep is what I am talking about. Seems like I have heard of people having trouble there.

Hope you get it solved. Keep us posted on your progress.

tsjay

Here's a copy of my post the day I picked up Thelma Jane (it says December 9th, since it was after midnight when I wrote the message, but it was the afternoon of the 8th when I picked her up)

#490 of 4320 Father and baby girl united! by tsjay Dec 09, 2000 (02:58 am)
    Well, my good friends, Thelma Jane and her Daddy are together now! Picked her up this afternoon.

She was so beautiful I almost cried!

I was afraid my memory of the white Jeep I had seen this summer had been exaggerated, and I was afraid of a let down when I finally got to see Thelma Jane. Not! She was even MORE beautiful than I had imagined.

We are hitting it off real well. I live 45 miles from the dealer where I bought her, so our first drive together was a nice long one. She handled beautifully, didn't have too much wind or road noise, had a smoother ride than I expected, and the radio sounds much better than I thought it would. That subwoofer really helps.

I think I'll have trouble sleeping tonight. I will want to go out in the garage and sit in her.

I got a good taste for how little room there is for storage, though. It is dark by the time I get home from work, and, since there's no electricity in my garage, I hadn't cleaned out the back seat and trunk in the Grand Prix. I didn't think I was going to be able to get everything in the Jeep!

I'm not complaining. If Jeeps weren't so small they wouldn't be as much fun to drive. They just wouldn't be Jeeps.

I had to try out 4wd high and 4wd low in my yard when I got home. The neighbors probably think I have lost my mind, with my driving around the house several times.

I LOVE HER!!!!!!!

Have YOU hugged YOUR Jeep today?
  • dsgoddadsgodda Member Posts: 2
    TSJ, they have probably used several tubes of silicon under my hood--around the heater core, the master cylinder, and anywhere else anything comes through the firewall. They've also replaced the weather striping around the doors and the one around the windshield. Based on the amount of water coming in, I'm sure it comes in from above the hood; I don't believe there's that much water blowing around under the hood. Last time I took it in, I asked them to replace the weather strip between the windshield and the cowl (where the windshield folds down) as that seems like a logical place for water to enter. The dealer said they replaced it, but the seal doesn't look new. I will ask about it again when I take her in on Tuesday. Dave
    Man that is something! There are only so many possibilities, and it sounds like they have all been checked out. I'll bet it will turn out to be something that they have already supposedly fixed but really didn't.

Sure am sorry you're having all that trouble, Dave. Maybe you ought to try a different dealer. What kind of reputation does your dealer's service department have? Are they experienced with Jeeps?

When I called my dealer and described the problem, the service manager pretty much knew where the trouble was before I even took Thelma over there. They got it fixed in one visit. It was the heater box seal at the fire wall, just as the guy suspected. Tonkadave had the same problem, and his dealer told him that there was no evidence that the factory had even attempted to make any kind of seal there, like someone just skipped a step in the assembly process.

Good luck, and please continue to update us on the progress. Wish you the best.

tsjay

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I think I'll wait until the next oil change and leave it with them for a few days. I don't think its serious, and if it strands me, I'll just call the 800 number. Livin on the edge!
    Finally took my Wrangler in for the 90,000 mile servicing. I took it to a guy who recently opened up a garage here "on the hill" and I'm glad I did. When we went to pick it up he put it back up on the rack (how many dealers will let you look at the underside of your car when it is on the rack?) and showed us where the front wheels are turning too much. There is a bolt that is just above the turning stops which is digging into the rims slightly when the wheels are turned to the max (like backing out of parking places). It has worn them to a very sharp edge.

The mechanic suggested I take it to a front end expert to see if they can adjust the stops or else shave a bit off of the bolt, so that it won't rub the rims any more. Since I'm not a mechanic, does anyone know if the stops are adjustable? Or has any one had this problem? Or is there going to be a problem with cutting off a bit from the bolt?

I don't think this problem is a normal one - I noticed the resistence when backing out of a parking place only after the accident when the Jeep was around 6 months old. Since it didn't seem like much of a big deal, and since taking it back to where I got it fixed was a major problem, I never really looked into it.

Any info, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I'll have to crawl under mine to see if I can find the bolt you're talking about but from what I've read, it's pretty common to have to adjust the bump stops when people move to bigger tires. The common phrase used is "just add a few washers to the bumpstops". Since you said the rims are rubbing and not the tires, I agree it doesn't sound like a normal issue. Unless you moved to different sized rims, it sounds like an alignment issue, but adjusting the stops may work to remedy it. Maybe sfjeeps or someone with more experience with "lift issues" can offer additional suggestions. HTH

-twylie
    Thanks for the info. I'm running stock with the 30" wheels. The rims were replaced with the same type of rims that it originally had (at least they look the same) after the accident.

When I replaced the tires recently I did have a weird wear pattern on one of the rear tires. I wasn't rotating them very often (going the JiffyLube route at that point) so it had been on the rear for quite a while. It was worn on the outside, like a front tire would be from an alignment problem. The front tires were just cupped, but not worn on the inside or outside. By the way, the guys who replaced the tires didn't notice the sharp inside edge on the rims, and they are sharp!

So any information I can get going into this will be great.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    since you were in an accident it might have knocked your front end out of alignment. It might be easy enough to just take it to a front end shop like the guy said... I don't know if it's possible that the new wheels you got had a different backspacing than your old ones. I don't know if Jeep makes different backspacing for the same type of wheel, they might though. Get that checked out too.
  • pretzeldude66pretzeldude66 Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys,

I am thinking about purchasing new tires for my TJ. I would like to get the largest size possible without getting a lift (don't have the money). I heard the maximum size with stock suspension and no body lift is 31". Is this true, and will I still have enough articulation room for some offroading?

Thanks,
    pretzeldude66
    They did have to realign the front end after the accident - in fact when they tried to align it with the new rims, they discovered that they had to replace the tie rod end. Of course, it could be out of alignment again - the accident was two years ago, when my lovely Wrangler was only about 6 months old, and I've driven a number of rough roads since then! I also more or less trust where I got it fixed - it is the same place Edmunds gets their cars fixed when they have been in accidents (I found this out after I got it repaired. At the time I just went where my insurance company suggested).

The main reason I don't think it is the alignment is that I had normal wear patterns on my front tires when I replaced all four tires this summer. I will have it checked before I do anything about the stops or the bolt. It will probably be next weekend before I can get it to some place to have it worked on.

It was a good thing that I didn't take it (I would probably have had to leave it) anywhere on Sunday - this morning we woke up to about 2 inches of snow, and very icy roads. I don't know about the weather this year - the last 2 years we didn't have any snow to speak of until January. This year we've had significant snow twice! I'm not sure I want to chance leaving the Wrangler anywhere for a week at this point, since the Taco is 2 wheel and worthless in the snow.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Leaks are a pain to track down. Sit in the Jeep when it is raining and you can often tell where it is coming in, but the big culprit is often in the HVAC system. That little box b/w the hood and the windshield can get clogged up, and when it can't drain, it will come in through the HVAC and wind up on the floorboards.

COngrats to tsjay--having my own sort of jeep special day today too. I paid it off this morning 1.25 years ahead of schedule, the title will be in the mail in the next week or so. I'm setting up my new page here in San Diego right now, I'll post pix and stats for it when I get a chance.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    I saw this on the Wrangler forum at Jeepunlimited.com Hallmark is selling 60th Anniversary Wrangler Ornaments. It's a red TJ with it's top down, and a wreath on the front. I think it's $14.95. Here's URL for a picture of it.

http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum34/HTML/005291.html

I haven't bought a TJ yet for various reasons that's why I don't post here much. I should get one of these ornaments so at least I'd have my Jeep - ha.

Happy Holidays everyone - Jeffer2

• smiley99tjsmiley99tj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 TJ with the 4.0 liter and stock 5-speed. The other night I was driving and hit a bump which caused my gauge cluster lights and hvac control lights to go out. I then noticed that my tail lights and front marker lights were also out. I changed the parking light fuse, which was blown, and seemed well. Last night it happened again and I changed the fuse once more but this time it blew as soon as I turned on the lights. Turn signals, 4 ways, head lamps, brake lights, and interior lights all still work. I am assuming that there is a short somewhere and think that it might be in the light switch unit because the lights perform all of their other functions. What do you think is wrong???
  • markymaypomarkymaypo Member Posts: 3
    The engine warning light keeps coming on in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport. The dealer tells me it may be due to extra touchy sensors. In order to get it reset I need to take it in and have them hook it up to the computer.
    Anyone else have this problem and get it resolved? Or is there a way to disable the light from coming on since apparently there is nothing wrong, other then touchy sensors. Thanks.
    I wouldn't disable that light, cause sometime it might be a real problem, and you would want to have a warning. Heck, it could be a real problem this time, cause you haven't had it checked out yet. Hope it isn't.

Let us know how this turns out, OK?

Good luck

tsjay

Sorry about your problems and hope that you get them fixed. Please post when you get it fixed, so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience.

That's one real useful purpose for a group like this... so that we can learn from each other's experience and possibly have some idea as to what might be wrong when we have similar symptoms.

thanks and good luck

tsjay

• thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem after installing a trailer hitch on my 97. After blowing 2 fuses, I finally figured out it was water getting into the trailer electrical plug, even though it had a cover. I installed a saver box for it, and never blew another fuse.
    I have heard of the touchy sensors on the TJ. A coworker of mine has the exact same Jeep that I have (2001 Sport) except he got his at a different dealer. He was experiencing the engine light problem, so he took it in to his dealer who downloaded the sensor fix into the Jeep's computer - painless and problem solved. I have not had the problem with my Jeep - I assume that my dealer had already applied the fix when I bought the Jeep.
    I have a 2000 Sport with a soft top. Last night someone (probably jealous of a beautiful Jeep) decided to put about a 10-11 inch slash in one of the rear curtain windows. I put a piece of clear packing tape over it for the moment, but I suppose I will have this replaced; I don't really want a hard top. Has anyone had this happen? Do you know if this is covered under warranty or insurance, and is it easy to get just one side curtain for a factory soft top?

Thanks,
    pdude
    it should be covered under your insurance, as long as you have comprehensive insurance. You can figure out if it is worth meeting your deductible, since you are only talking about $125 or so. You don't really need a whole new top, just a replacement window. You can get a factory one at www.jparts.com or a Bestop one from www.quadratec.com. They are identical; Bestop makes the factory tops for Jeep.

Of course, your insurance guy may not know you can replace just one window. You might consider pushing for a whole new replacement top made of the new sailcloth material, since it's supposed to be so much quieter. That might push up your premiums though so think carefully. Getting an entire replacement soft top would cost $950 for the factory one (includes the hardware which you already have) or $650 for the Bestop one (fabric only).
  • bhowell2bhowell2 Member Posts: 15
    I feel your pain, my driverside curtain was slashed. I considered the insurance thought too but I really dont need that going up at this point. The Bestop tinted replacements are the ones I finally purchased. They were like $170 and all that was stolen out of my Jeep was like $2 in change. Whoever did it broke open the center console, which I fixed myself, and left about 20 CD's and a check book in there. Go figure. Which window of yours was cut I still have the pass and rear off of a 2000. Let me know if interested, I am willing to help out a fellow Jeeper.
    Brian
    I don't want to steal his thunder, but good ole Larry ought to be posting about a certain big event soon! Everyone stay tuned.

tsjay

• kasfinkasfin Member Posts: 2
    I was thinking about selling my Hard Top on my 98 Sahara. Anyone know how warm does the Soft Top keep you in the Michigan Winters? Or keeps out the winter elements. I am moving to Houston next summer and thought this might be a good time to get rid of the Hard Top. If anyone is interested in buying the Hard Top email me. But I definately want to drive it this winter, but am a little concerned about the Soft top and the cold!
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    kasfin

I live in the Chicago area and have only a soft top. I am going on my third winter with it. As long as you are careful that the top has all zippers and velcro tight, I don't think you will have any trouble. I find the heater is good enough to keep it warm inside. I don't feel any drafts even at hiway speed.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    kasfin,

It's probably better just to put a small ad in the classifieds of your local paper rather than Edmund's message boards.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Thanks for all your input. Im still debating on what to do -- and tinted windows sound pretty cool.
    bhowell2- thanks for the offer, but it was my driverside curtain that was slashed as well. Apparently there was no attempt to take anything because my alarm never went off and it has a pretty good shock sensor.

Oh well, after all every Jeep needs a little character, and what better than a scar on one of the windows! Its been getting some extra hugs to make up for the injury.

pdude
  • huck7huck7 Member Posts: 16
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but 4300+ posts are a lot to read.

Does anyone run thier Wrangler with the doors off? I am an old CJ fan and that was the best part (well one of the best parts) of driving it through the Summer.

Thanks.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    huck7

I bet you will hear from tsjay.
  • bhowell2bhowell2 Member Posts: 15
    I take mine off everytime I get the chance. I removed the hinge nuts and never put them back on. The only 2 down falls are that removes the side mirrows, which leagly in Va. you are supposed to have a drivers side and I seem to get sun burn pretty bad on my left leg Lol. I seem to like rideing with my foot on the side step, I'll put up with the sunburn but I plan on getting a mirrow that goes in the upper door hinge piviot point.
    pretzeldude66, go for the Bestop shaded windows. I really like nine, I was concern that the black soft top would of fade lighter than the the new windows fabric after 2 summers but it is not noticable.
    Brian
    The doors come off pretty easily and driving without them is blast though it scares some passengers. The TJ is very likely the last Jeep with removable doors--new federal guidelines on side-impact beams will likely change this design on the next-generation Wrangler.
    Huck7:

Yessir, I agree that doors off is the best way to enjoy a Jeep! I have taken the doors off of my 2001 Sport several times.

They are easy to take off, but they weigh a ton, and you have to be careful to raise them exactly straight up as you remove them, so that those exposed threads don't scratch your Jeep.

You need a 13 MM wrench, and I strongly recommend a boxed end wrench to prevent slippage of the wrench and the resulting ding in your paint job.

There is no way to prevent scratching some of the paint off of those hinge nuts, but you can try putting a rag over them to reduce the damage.

Quadratec has some good storage bags for the doors for about $100 per pair. They are custom made for the Jeep doors and do a real good job of protecting them. I'll be glad to give you more details, if you are interested.

You will need to pull the fuse for the overhead light when you remove the doors. This is the fuse located second from the bottom in the right hand column of fuses, if my memory serves me (but I'm old and have slept a few times since doing this). Better check the owners manual to be sure.

If you do this step first, don't be surprised if the light stays on for a few seconds after you pull the fuse. If you have just opened the door, there is some kind of delay feature which keeps the light on for a while. Obviously, the power for that must come from a separate circuit.

Huck, just go real slow and be careful! Those threads that you expose when you take the nuts off are deadly on the paint job, if they are allowed to contact the Jeep! Unfortunately, I know this from experience, but it was a fairly small spot, and I touched it up. Be prepared to take a major load when you lift those doors, because they are heavy!

tsjay

Hey, you can get a door sill protective strip from Qtec that looks real nice and seems to have worked well for me. I mention this because you said you rest your foot on the door sill when you are topless, bhowell2.

These things were VERY inexpensive. I think they were only about $20 for the pair. They are held on by adhesive strips and no drilling is required.

tsjay

tsjay, do you have those Bestop door storage bags? Do they work pretty well? I asked Santa for them for Xmas. Bestop makes good stuff generally.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I just sit my doors on a piece of carpet in the garage, lean them against the wall and throw a blanket over them to protect them. I am sure the door bags would be better, but I haven't had any problems.
    Yes, I'm almost sure they were Best Top brand. I just looked in the Qtec catalogue and the Best Tops look like the ones that I bought, and the price matches exactly what I paid.

It's dark when I get home now, and there's no electricity in my garage, so I can't actually check them out for you until the weekend, but I am 99% certain that they are Best Top.

They work real well. I highly recommend them.

tsjay

• goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    I have a 99 Wrangler Sport & got replacement bulb for exterior 3rd Brake Light. What tool will work on lens? Looked like Phillips but didnt work & I dont want to strip it. Thanks