Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    the 2006s have faster seat motors. maybe it's possible to retrofit the 2006 motor onto an 04 or 05. i rapped with a gm parts guy for a while while he looked up parts and we couldn't find a small replacable/orderable item, just some huge seat assembly which maybe included the whole seat or something like that. i dunno but i know that GM prophet hammen2 will know. he is omniscient about GTOs and GM!
    as far as tires go, the stock 17s bfgoodrich TAs are really that bad? c'mon. i remember folks hating on the Z28 RSA tires and i tried them once and they weren't bad. i did like the ZR50/VR50 style better though, and folks were hatin on those too.
    as far as driving a goat in chicago for the winter, it is a NO BRAINER (that's my specialty sort of question). 4 snow tires are absolutely 400% required for chicago. do not skimp! two words for ya: BLIZ ZAK. not the Q rated WS50s, those are just too spongy for the goat.
    rip shifter, any downside to getting one of those installed ? vibration or anything ? maybe i could do it myself but i'd probably shred the interior trying to figure out how to unscrew the current shifter, extra parts left over, the whole 9 yards. i'll google it and check it on that other forum whose name contains the 3 letter 2004 GM goat engine designation!
    ps - i asked an actual Australian dude if "skippy" was an ok thing to say/call to an australian. perhaps many of you already know the origin of the term. the term's origin: they had a tv show down under like "flipper" here in USA except it was "skippy" and it was about a kangaroo instead of a dolphin.
  • jason1168txjason1168tx Member Posts: 2
    The only downside of the rip shifter that I have experienced on my '05 is a slight bit of gear noise through the shift lever under hard acceleration. You will find some forums talking about the shifter hitting the transmission tunnel during cornering, but I suspect this is only on '04's.

As far as installation goes, the instructions that come with the shifter are very good and easy to read. The only tool I can say I had to go purchase was the 6mm hex to remove the two existing screws on the factory shifter top plate. Total installation time was 3 hours including the run to the parts store for the tool. The worst part of the whole process was removing and re-installing the factory shift boot which has studs through the transmission tunnel. The nuts can only be accessed under the car, and they are difficult to get to. With the new shifter in place, the boot does not sit all the way down on the tunnel without some pressure on it, so I had my wife press down on the ring while I spun the nuts back on the studs so I wouldn't have to wrech them all the way on. I guess my advice would be that if you can find a speed shop that will do the install for $150 or so, I probably would not do another one myself.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    With my KDW tires my GTO coners a litle bit better, turns in faster, doesn't ride that much worse (40 series vs. stock 45 so the sidewall height is lower).
    It also launches harder. For instance I able to raise the rpms and still not get wheelspin.
    Spins the tires less on a hard 1-2 upshift.
    Is noticabley better in the rain. Especially at speed.
    Will not spin the tires as easily, better braking and almost no hydroplaning at high speeds.
    They are also wearing better than the stock tires.
    Leased my '04 GTO M6 11/30/04.
    Just had the 15K oil change done today with Mobil 1.
    I buy the 6pak at Costco and take it to the dealer.
    Usually get the oil changed for about $19 labor + 27.99 for the oil.

So far I have had the clutch pedal bearing greased and all 4 rotors turned. All under warranty.
    This is the best car I have owned and the least amount of problems of the 10 new GM cars I have bought since 1983.
  • 05midblue05midblue Member Posts: 20
    My first oil change tomorrow. I'm a little nervous that they're going to screw with it or screw it up (drip a little on the exhaust manifold). Anyway I'll cut to the chace...

does anyone know how many '05 6spd Midnight Blue's were made?

Just curious...

Mark
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I appreciate all your comments and answers to my questions. So, I actually went to the dealership last night and took an '05 AT for my first test drive. This car is simply out of this world! It is so overpowered it is ridiculous and I love it! What's great about it is that you can drive it like any other car as the suspension is fairly soft and it just grunts nicely, keeping rpm low. When you hit the throttle it transforms into a personal Nascar racer. When test driving yesterday I was cruising a side street at 30mph and then floored it. I now realize it was irresponsible because the rear wheels started spinning and immediately put the car sideways. It scared the living hell out of me (and the sales guy) and I was surprised that the traction control did not prevent it. The sound of 8 cylinders firing is great. My body did not produce so much adrenaline in a long time. Given that winter in Chicago is fast approaching, I will wait and buy it in March as I don't trust myself with 400hp and rear wheel drive. :P
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I remember you from the Axiom forum! Didn't you get a Mazda6 when you got rid of your black Axiom? We think alike though I still have my Trooper - the best SUV ever made ;-)

I bought my 2004 GTO (350hp) on Christmas Eve 2004 and it so happened that I drove it next day from Atlanta to Chicago through pretty bad storms in TN and KY. I didn't have any issues, used the 2nd gear instead of 1st and just made sure my RPMs stayed pretty low at all times. When there was ice and snow, I tended to drive at 40MPH in the 6th gear with ~1000RPMs on the tach. Probably not good for the engine though... It was a fun trip with my wife and a toddler but I'm not sure I'd want to do it every day. I was in Chicago the other day and I'm glad we took our Trooper this time - with all this construction going on, most of your highways look like a war zone... There would have been some serious damage done to my GTO...
  • zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    Took a GTO out yesterday for a long test drive in Chicago. They let me take it for the afternoon. 6 SP Torrid red. This is the second year in a row I have passed on this car because I dont want to give up my Celica GTS. This dealer is ready to kill me. Fun car just wish it didnt feel like a bus compared the Celica. Plus they really arent dealing on the car this year at all and they are practically falling over themselves to get my car which makes me think I should just keep it.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    As the owner of a Celica GTS, what has attracted you to the GTO rather than something more in the same vein as your current car?

I can understand the allure of all the torque/power of the GTO, but you already knew going in that it wouldn't have the same razor sharp responses as the Celica. This just seems like an odd transition to me. Have you looked at the RX-8?
    Have not looked at the RX8 as I dont care for the style and wanted to get away from the high reving engines.

I wanted something a little bigger with more of a range of torque. My first car was a 1975 Bonneville so I do like the big V8 and the Pontiac brand. I do like the style and interior of the GTO. I guess I am so used to flying around corners that I just dont have the patience the GTO requires. They are complete opposites - I wish I could have em both.

I was hoping the 350Z would be a nice compromise but all of the mechanical troubles with the car are a concern.
    And we meet again! Good to hear from you Cracovian. You are correct, I was considering a Mazda 6, but in the meantime I found a killer deal on a new Jaguar X-Type(stick shift) and so I traded in my Axiom for the Jag. I love the Jag especially with AWD, but GTO is what I want now. I know what you mean regarding the construction zones in Chicago, but there are still plenty of good roads, where you could "open up" your GTO. How about an Axiom with 400HP GTO engine?
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    After buying an 04 GTO last Dec I decided to keep my very comfortable 99 Olds Intrigue GLS for the winter. GTO tire pressure was almost 60 lbs each tire the day I brought it home. Lowered the pressure to 35. I never felt the GTO gave a "pleasant ride", I always thought it was a little hard. I lowered the tires to 32. No difference. At 8000mi I had the tires rotated and the next day there was a shimmy in the steering wheel above 50mph. Had the tires balanced and now I have never been so happy with driving the car. From the get go the car always felt a little jittery over small bumps, but it seems a tire was out of balance maybe it lost a weight when those tires were rock hard. I'm driving on stock 17s. Sometimes it's the simple things that are overlooked.
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I have been looking at the GTO's for awhile now. The $3K cash-back got me looking harder (although I missed the extra $1K that ended 11/13. I took my first test spin 11/17. WOW! My first thought was whether this car was worth a couple thousand more than a Mustang GT. After driving the Mustang, it wasn't much of a decision. Looks aren't as important to me as horsepower and torque (although I actually like the looks of the GTO). You see a 100 Mustangs every day. You might see one GTO a week. I took my wife back yesterday to let her drive it. She insisted that I must be having a mid-life crisis. I asked her if she remembered how to drive a stick and cautioned her about the power. During our test drive, she caught the attention of some guy in a yellow Vette. You should have seen the smile on her face when she actually passed him after getting beat off the line. Who says a woman can't have a mid-life crisis as well. $28,999 out the door. I can't wait until Monday to take delivery. I'm thinking I may have to hide the other set of keys.
  • redt6toyredt6toy Member Posts: 2
    has anyone else complained of drivetrain whine.I just got my 05 back from dealership,they replaced the dif carrier assembly.
    the 40 mph whine happens no matter what gear you are in?
    i find that 5th is right for 40 mph and do not recall any objectionable gear noise/whine. i'll listen for it after i can drive again dec 6.
    also, have you checked the back seat for very whiny short passengers - i often find one or two of those in the back seat of my 05 m6 goat.
  • redt6toyredt6toy Member Posts: 2
    the whine was most noticible in 4th when light on throtle. dealership said gm tech was aware of problem and i was put on waiting list.as for whiny passengers they are unable to speak for a while after a ride.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    I checked the air pressure yesterday-the fronts (cold) are at 26lbs, and the rears at 27. Now I'm wondering if that is too low. Would that account for a "bumpy" or too firm a ride? I've had the car since late July...the car drives straight and solid and no shimmies or jitters...I really don't think the tires have any balance issues. I really just think that I need to get used to the harder/firmer suspension of this car and realize its ride is not going to be as good as a bonneville for soaking up bumps!
    26 psi is way too low imho, maybe even below some minimum spec. 26 makes the ride softer/squishier and handling worse and tire edges will wear too fast. i recommend 32-34 psi.
  • blackflag3blackflag3 Member Posts: 29
    I too recommend 32-34 psi all the way around although the recommended psi sticker on the car says 33 psi front and 39 psi on rear.
    But that is if one is carrying a full pay load, two passengers in front and two in back.
    I have the 18" tires so maybe the 17's have a different
    recommendation? I run 34 all the way around.
    The stiff suspension is the price you pay for better handling.
    Could anyone tell me at what rpm the automatic GTO would run at 60mph and 70mph? If I am not mistaken the manual will run 1550 rpm at 60mph. Thanks.
    Well, let's see....
    the M6 has a 57% overdrive and the AT has a 70% overdrive.
    So there is a 22.8% increase.
    I would say about 1903.
  • tolenashtolenash Member Posts: 52
    As long as they share the same rear dif gearing...
    How much you wanna bet the automatics have a taller (smaller numerically) rear-end gear......

What b4z needs to do is to multiply the overdrive gear ratio by the rear-end gear ratio to get the final drive numbers for the automatics compared to the manuals.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    They both have 3.46 gears.
    Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle...... :blush:

I don't understand why the M6 doesn't get much better mileage than the A4 on the highway then, since the M6 is doing some SERIOUS loafing in 6th gear compared to 4th in the A4. :confuse:
    I believe it's rated at 29 mpg hwy, versus 21 for the A4 (though my Predator-tuned A4, on 93 octane, using the cruise and no A/C, will get 23 mpg at 70+ mph - must be all of the Zaino on the car :-)
    ...must be all of the Zaino on the car

LOL! Sounds like a good Mythbusters topic......
    I was actually expecting better mileage in my M6.
    Just drove back from H'ville, NC. Downhill all the way from 2400' elevation to sea level.
    Average slightly over 75 mph.
    Spent about 45 minutes following a Volvo at 88mph.
    Average was a 23.5mpg.

On the way up at slower speeds(closer to 80mph) gas milaeage was only 22.6mpg. had to go up in elevation.
    The only time my GTO will get over 29mpg is at 55-60mph or a little less.
    A lot of guys are reporting higher mpg than mine.

Also remember that the M6 is actually the M12 transmission from the Z06 and has a 57% overdrive not the 50% overdrive that was in the base Corvettes, Fbods and Vipers.

Gas mileage would be even better with that transmission.
  • lovegtolovegto Member Posts: 23
    I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2005 with winter tires, Dunlop M3, and there is a noticable difference in the ride quality actually less hard rather than more hard as I had expected. And yes the tire pressure on the OEM tires had been checked to agree with the recommended pressure. Also there is no appreciable difference in handling in dry conditions, then again I am not pushing the car to its limits. Probably will be able to test the handling in snow this weekend.
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    2005 6-speed w/ 17" tires:
    70 mph = 1750
    80 mph = 2000
    100 mph = ???? (I was too busy watching the road!)

Advertised MPG:
    4-speed auto = 16/21
    6-speed manual = 17/25
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    100mph = 1700rpms
    Does anybody have a picture of an 06 Torrid Red with the darker tail lights?

Do they exchange out easily if I wanted to replace with the 05 style instead?

I am going to order an 06 as I had to pass on the 05 because no where to store it for 4 months and I just figured why not buy new in the spring rather than have it sitting for another 4 months after it sat on the dealer lot for 2 months and then in the showroom for a month with who knows who messing with it. I guess I prefer them new right out of the box.
    Not a Torrid Red, but the new Spice Red for '06:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32611262478.jpg&s=x12

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32611372382.jpg&s=x12

I got the CV8-R tails from JHP for $300 shipped back in late May. It took me 10 minutes in my parking lot at work to swap the tails and harnesses - very easy (just don't touch the bulbs - use rubber gloves if you must).

I'm sure that there are plenty of '04-'05 owners who wouldn't mind switching with you if you don't like them.

--Robert
    Thanks Robert.

I also passed on the 05 because it had some very minor damage that I mentioned previously (slight scratch on the side mirror case, above the rear GTO plastic panel).

Since I plan to order an 06 I would like to get it right off the truck before it is handled by the dealer. Has anybody accepted delivery right off the truck? They can still do the PDI I would just like to be there to inspect and be sure they do everything right.

Does anyone know how the order process works? How much down, etc?
    How it works depends on the dealership... many won't take orders for fear you'll bail on the car before delivery. Usually, those that have ordered have put $500-$1000 down. Make sure you write up paperwork that spells out who gets the $$$ if the order is cancelled. Also be sure to spell out, on the paperwork, what you want them to do and not do when the car arrives - remove the Wrapguard, remove the spring compressors and rotor shields, lower the tire pressure, check all fluids, et. al.

Ordering an '06 will probably take 6 months to actually get your car - may want to talk to dealerships and find out what they have ordered. One good thing with the GTO's relative lack of options is the likelihood that you can find the car you want - exterior color, interior color (on some combos), transmission, 18" wheels are the only significant options - I would have to believe that a dealer somewhere close to you would already have the car you want already coming in...

--Robert
    Robert,
    I want see the car come off the truck and be sure they dont give me a wash I dont want. The rest of the stuff is fine. This would be my first brand new car purchase and I would like it to look and smell new. The 05 I was considering only had 40 miles but didnt have that new car smell or feel - probably because it had been sitting for a couple of months.

The dealer I have been working with is saying the 06's will start arriving in Feb. Only problem is I really dont want one before march because of the weather. My house is under construction and I cannot use the garage so I have no where to store it. So I have timing issues.

I read one of your earlier posts regarding replacing the rear speakers. Is this something you would consider easy enough to trust a local family owned stereo shop to be able to do?

Thanks

Jim
    Did they change the gauges for 2006?

http:
    //www.forbesautos.com/gallery/2006/pontiac/gto/?slide=8&play=f

This may force me to track down an 05.
    I don't believe that they've changed the gauges on the '06's - most likely a wrong or incorrect photo.

I believe those are Monaro gauges:

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/qtvr?modelid=12001&id=261&mode=large_interior

Note that the pics on the Forbes Auto site of the blue interior show the '04 gauges...
    If you want to make sure they don't give you a wash, put it in writing that the car be delivered with the WrapGuard still on it. They're supposed to remove that as part of the PDI, along with the plastic covering the interior seats.

I would sign an agreement stating what they could and could not do (ask them for a copy of the PDI, and say yay or nay to specific steps).

'06's have arrived at dealers almost nationwide. Several others on other GTO sites have received their '06's today.

I did the speaker replacements myself, following the instructions posted on another site, and had no issues with it. I'd imagine anyone who does this regularly for a living would have no problems with the disassembly. I'd strongly suggest throwing some Dynamat or other sound-deadening material in there while you have the rear seats/back panels exposed. I plan to do that next year when my car comes out of storage :-(

--Robert
    Thanks Again Robert!
    This kind of funny, but GTOs don't have the traditional new car smell that you get from most GM cars.
    It is more of a sweaty Australian autoworker smell than anything else.
    LOL.
    Did you have the 17's or 18 tires?
    I'm considering a tire replacement too, primarily to get a softer/less hard ride and to enhance winter driving. Of course,I have not yet experienced the BFG's (OEM 17's) yet in the snow, so don't really have a feel for how well they will perform.
    I would be interested to know how your Dunlop M3's handle in the snow so keep us posted. With the ride quality, did you notice if the Dunlop's seemed to cushion ride quality over interstate joint strips for example or bumpy pavement. Also, how is the road noise on the Dunlop's compared to the BFG's...any difference?
    Thanks!
    Robert:
    In a recent post to Zinger, you mentioned something about as part of the PDI, to "remove the spring compressors". If this was not done upon delivery, would this affect the overall ride quality (I'm assuming so). Is there a way to check for this or would it be really obvious if the spring compressors were not removed? Still hoping to improve ride quality!!
    Thanks,
    Spring compressors - usually orange or black, would prevent the suspension from fully traveling.

There's a huge difference between my first GTO and my second. I strongly suspect the dealer never did the PDI on my first car... tire pressures were at 60 psi until I figured this out, 800 miles later, and I suspect the spring compressors were left in (until they fell out on their own), compromising the suspension... leading to some of the car's suspension problems (clunking/popping that you could hear AND feel in the front end, during cornering/turns... tie rod ends were drilled out, and it helped, but didn't resolve the problem... of course, that may also have been due to the engine and tranny being dropped and realigned, in an attempt to find the front end creaking and popping noises which ended up being an improperly-assembled firewall).

Car #2 rides much better. My 1998 Aurora has the best ride, though, and I can certainly feel the difference between the two vehicles. I still have the stock tires and will probably not upgrade them until I wear 'em out (after next year). I run 32-35 psi in all 4 tires, except when I stored my car, I pumped them up to 60 psi to help avoid flat-spotting. Your tires will do that overnight and it will take a mile or two for the ride to calm down...

--Robert
    I have 17" wheels and the OEM tires are the B F Goodrich. This past week I was driving across a bridge (four lanes one way interstate) on my way home, about four or more cars were stopped on the bridge from various slides into the guard rails. Traffic was moving at about 25MPH at most. Apparently the bridge was ice covered but you couldn't tell it from my car as their was never a hint of a slip. They closed the bridge five minutes after I crossed.
    Being a cheap accountant, normally I would not buy winter tires but Hammen said it was a necessity for the GTO and I sure believe him now.
    What I am suprised at is that the snow tires are quieter and the bumps are much less pronounced with the snow tires.
    I purchased the tires from Tirerack.com after seeing a posting for the site earlier in this topic. One reviewer had said he intended to keep the tires on all year round because of the improved ride. I can understand his view, though I doubt that the winter tire would last long if used all year. Also in comparison to the BFG's on the dry pavement, on a sharp turn there is less squealing and pull out with the Dunlops.
    As a point of reference I should say that I live in the midwest and have not had a set of snow tires since I owned a Plymouth Duster in the 70's which used Bias Ply tires. Since then I have owned a Firebird, V8 Thunderbird (8 years)and V8 Cougar (8 Years) without snow tires using three bags of sand in the trunk for weight. so I am no expert on tires.
  • oldredrider929oldredrider929 Member Posts: 2
    drove a 05 gto yesterday, with the 6 speed manual. liked the car very much but like lots of you, i noticed that the shift throws are very long and soft.
    i went online and noticed that several companies are manufacturing short shift kits for the gto and very inexpensively at that (under $200).
    has anyone put one on their gto and did it make a noticeable difference? if so, which brand did you buy and how big a deal is it to install it?
  • prguy77prguy77 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Robert,

Do you have a picture of those CV8-R tail lights? I'd love to see how it looks. Thanks!

JOE
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    robert gto buddy......WHERE CAN WE PURCHASE THE 2006 ??TAILLIGHTS...INSTRUCTIONS...OR TAKE THEM BODY SHOP . thanks :D
This discussion has been closed.