Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Share your experience here!

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The list was $23,585.

I paid 19,700 in October of 2002, less tax and title, no trade. I missed the rebate by 10 days!

2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport Plus
    287 (4.7) V8
    545RFE transmission
    PW, PS, PB, PL, cruise, air, tilt, power mirrors
    Limited Slip Differential
    AM/FM/CD/Cassette
    6100 GVW Package (includes heavier springs and front/rear sway bars)
    16x8.0 inch wheels and P245/70R16 off/on road tires
    Sliding rear window
    Fog lamps
    floor mats
    wheel flares
    keyless entry
    bedliner (installed)

The dealer was better than average to deal with. They gave me the Mopar bedliner for $250, about 50% off of list. They low-balled me a little on the financing rate, but ended up coming down a little bit on the selling price. They let me take this truck for three days before the purchase.

Their selling process was as quick as any I've ever experienced. I finshed talking to the saleman at about 11:00 and I picked the Dakota up the following day at 5:00 PM.

The vehicle has been almost perfect in component and assembly quality. No buzzes, groans, or rattles and everything has worked as it should. I must say that this truck was assembled as well as my Nissan and better than our Toyota Avalon.

My only warranty service was to replace the right headlamp housing, which was cracked by a piece of ice hitting it. The service writer had no problem writing it up under warranty.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    May 2003, bought a 2002 leftover club cab 2WD automatic with the SXT package (alloy wheels, eagle tires, high back buckets etc.}Sliding rear window, floor mats CD, AC.3.9 V-6 flares. Original list was about 21K, but of course it had that 1+K customer package deduction. With the Farm Bureau discount I paid $14700.
  • thegsterthegster Member Posts: 6
    Researched a new Dakota and avg trade in on my WRX. Went to 3 dealers and was given a super low price on my trade,$6-7K below avg trade-in. Sure the deals on the Dakotas were great but they are trying to make it up on the trade. In fact one dealer said the truck price($1k above invoice) was valid only with a trade in.
  • greggpatsgreggpats Member Posts: 7
    Think I did good

Sport, LSD, slider, high bucket seats, fog lights, mats, Auto, tire & handling group

$17,626...including $3k cust rebate and $500 Farm Bureay rebate.

Came to $56 below invoice shown on Edmunds...before the extra $3,500 in rebates.
  • desertrose1desertrose1 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a 1999 Dakota and would appreciate some feedback. I currently own an 86 Mazda, which I bought new, so I have been out of the car buying business for some time. The Dakota is a 4X4, X-cab, 61000 miles, with pwr. windows, mirrors, locks, am/fm w/cd, alloy wheels, etc.. Plus it has a front guard and roll bar with fog lights. The body is in great shape, no dents or scratches. It rode well when test driven. I did notice a leak when checking it and had it sent to my mechanic. He noted a few things, nothing serious, but some things that could be a problem later (possible leaks in rears seals, frost plug starting to leak, etc.). My concern is that it is decked out for off-road, and the mechanic did comment that it had been "ridden hard and put away wet". My questions to those who own a 99 Dakota, knowing what you know, would you buy it again? They are asking $13900.00 for this one. Considering what I have written, what would you consider a fair price for me to counter with? I was thinking $13500.00, but not sure if that is too high or low.
    Thanks, and any advice you could offer would be appreciated.
    Well, I don't own a '99 Dakota, but I have some experience with various years. I own a 2003 and my son has a '91 with 270,000 miles on it.

You don't state which engine you have, but the V6 and the 318 and 360 V8s all use a two-piece Viton front and rear crankshaft seal. These are premium materials. Leaks from worn or failed rear seals are not very common. I've seen many of these go into 150,000 mile range and still show no signs of leaking. However, previous owner care -- or the lack of it -- combined with heavy use may have "short-lived" the seals. Fortunately, this should not be a terribly expensive repair.

As to freeze plugs leaking, this is fairly rare on most engines nowadays. I suspect that the previous owner did not maintain the cooling system correctly.

As to specific quirks of the '99 versions, I can't help you too much there. Short-lived brake rotors was a complaint by some '99-'01 owners and this might warrant a better quality rotor at replacement time, although I suspect the factory rotors have long since been replaced. There are a number of recommendations for these in here at the Dodge forum.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Have you used the Edmunds used car section to check out the market value of this Dakota. I personally think the price is too high and based on the "rode hard and put away wet" comment by your mechanic would pass on this truck. Your local market might be different than here in the Mid-West but with all the rebates and discounting on new Dakotas has really depressed the used Dakota prices. I've seen new Dakota 4x4 SXT Club Cabs advertised for $17,999. Rick
    Well, according to Kelley's and based on my part of the country, rated in "excellent" condition and equiped as stated, the trade-in price is $9,775. This probably equates to a $13-14 vehicle retail. But like Iowabuggy said, I think you can do better.

["Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.]

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • brettski1brettski1 Member Posts: 12
    V6, A-T, 8" wide rims w/255 tires, 24-H options package, heated mirrors, bed liner, 2 tone paint
    $17,100 (aft $3K fac incentive).

(I've been in sales for 26 years....I can usually smell 'em comin') but, the dealer was a straight shooter, no BS, and I made the entire deal on the phone without even meeting face-to-face....and.....he had to pick the vehicle up from another dealer from another state.
  • dakota03dakota03 Member Posts: 9
    Back in march I bought an 03 Dakota sport plus 4x4. It has the 4.7, 5-Speed, limited slip, 3.92 gears, heavy duty service group, heated mirrors, overhead convience group, security group, 31' tires, and a sliding rear window. Sticker price was $26,270. After some dealing, a $3,000 rebate and a $500 farm bureau discount I paid otd $21,230.

My dealer was excellent. I ordered it and they catered to me every way they could, even when I called evey 3 days for a month to check on it.
  • inteinte Member Posts: 2
    desertrose1 -

$13500 is over blue book, so I guess you would just have to consider the condition of the vehicle and the cost of the extras - also, it's decked out for off-road - are you going to be using it off-road? If not, no need to pay for the extras. The point your mechanic had about it's previous off-road use is well-taken - as long as your mechanic is confident that the trans & drivetrain is in good shape, I guess that's a good sign. Check the ball joints!!! There is a current investigation by the NHSTA regarding Dakota/Durango ball joints.

I have a '98 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4x4 with a front guard, carpeted 12-v wired shell, upgraded shocks, and upgraded XM/CD stereo/speakers that unfortunately, I'm thinking about selling. I purchased the truck new & have had no major problems - runs like a top - kids are getting bigger though & I'm considering upgrading to a Quad-Cab. Only complanint I really have is a mixed one - I got the 3.9L V6 instead of the 8 - I miss the power of the V8, but the better fuel economy is worth it.
  • dak1dak1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 04 Dakota SLT Quad 4x4. Options include 4.7 V8, 5 spd Auto Trans, Deluxe Conv Group, Power Conv Group, Anti-Spin Diff Axle, AM-FM Single CD, sliding rear window, fog lamps, Deep Molten Red / Silver Two Tone. The sticker was $29,360. With $3500 rebate and $400 recent grad discount I paid $22,973 plus tax, title, license. Got 5% financing for 60 months. So... How did I do??
    I think you did pretty good, nearly $6400 off the list. Maybe you could've done better, maybe not. I'd be happy!

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • arrangerguyarrangerguy Member Posts: 18
    I think I did pretty well, i bought a 2000 dakota 4x4..4.7l v8...auto..white..club cab with 61k miles on it...slt...new tires, spray in bedliner...excellent shape...got it for 12,500...blue book says its worth about 15,500 or 16, so not bad...and i bought mine from a ford dealership, they have always been more pleasant to buy from, from my experiences, chime in if you wish
  • jamow2jamow2 Member Posts: 1
    Last month, I purchased a 2001 Dak SLT Quad Cab, 3.9 V6, auto, 2WD, Dark Green, power everything, with 34000 miles for $12500. I faxed over this offer to the dealer, and they called me back accepting it. This price was well below Edmunds dealer price, so that is another reason I jumped on it. So far, I'm pleased. Had a few issues which the dealer took care of under warranty, which expires 2 months after I purchased it.
  • horn1horn1 Member Posts: 2
    How did I do guys?.....

2004 V6 Dakota Quad Cab SLT Plus (2x4)
    Sticker Price: $25,600
    Negotiated down to $21500 ($1830 below invoice)
    Rebates: -$5000

New Price: $16500
    (that's $9100 below the sticker)

We put $3000 down and got out the door with a loan around $14600 (TTL included). I'll sell my old truck for 5-6K, and refinance in a couple of months.
    Horn,

Well, in '03 I took a $23,480 list Dakota Club Cab Sport Plus to $17,400. Your list was higher and you got below my price, so from my vantage point you did pretty darn well!

Good luck with the new Dak.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • grodgersgrodgers Member Posts: 1
    4.7L, power package, 5spd Auto, other goodies...

MSRP $28,215
    Discounted MSRP $27915.

Paid $19,288 after $5,000 rebate - That's a 3.9k discount from MSRP...not too bad I don't think

Bought from Dover Dodge in Dover, NJ
  • adam1adam1 Member Posts: 7
    went to a local dealer today and they have 2 04 dakotas both with stickers of 30,000 the salesman gave me his invoice price at 28,000 and said he could go down to 24,000 with tax/title it would be 26,000+/- could i get a better deal espiecaily since there hold overs thank for any info.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    For my 04 Sport Plus 4x4 Quad with 4.7/5 speed auto I paid about 24,167 before taxes and finance charges, and this was OCtober 31, 2003, purchased off the lot.
  • adam1adam1 Member Posts: 7
    the dakota im looking at is this one

http://www.hoblithaynes.fivestardealers.com/Dodge/body.cgi?apc=po- ol_templates/monroney.tmpl&vin=1D7HG48N14S762145

there is anothe one just like it but $80 cheaper i tried carsdirect.com but they only have v-6 models availibe does anyone know if they willget you a car that you are looking at but dont have it on their website?
  • dakboydakboy Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I just bought a 2001 Dakota and was looking at sticker on rear axle. It has "8.25 N-TRK" and "3.55 open case". Does this mean an 8.25" open diff with 3.55 gear ratio. What would it say if it was a Limited slip?

Thanks.
  • tony16tony16 Member Posts: 8
    i am looking for a cheap truck that looks good. a need 4x4 with good ground clearance. doesn;t have to be new but in good condition. like a 99' - 02'. HOw much would this cost me. :confuse:
  • durango5o8durango5o8 Member Posts: 10
    Any Puget Sound area 2005 Dakota Quad Cab buyers out there?

I went to the local Dodge dealer yesterday, North of Seattle.
    I was looking at 2005 QC 4X4 Laramie, 4.7L with no real
    additional options. Went for test ride, enjoyed the truck, nice.
    The salesman had referred to a demo they had with 7300 miles
    for over $30K, and that was a couple thousand less than the $33K
    for the truck I had driven. I didn't think much of it, I had searched
    on the Internet quite a lot, and knew the sticker was $31290 for the
    truck I had driven. I thought he was thinking of another truck we walked by.
    When we start talking numbers, sure enough, there was a "dealer add on"
    sticker on the window for $2500. Anyone else in the Puget Sound region
    run into this?

Needless to say, we weren't able to come anywhere close on
    price and I didn't buy the truck. I was really surprised by this
    add on, I wasn't looking at something I thought was in really high demand.
    (The truck had to have been there for a while, since before Dodge raised the
    sticker price. If you price it out on Dodge's or Edmund's web site it
    comes to $31500 now.)

Of course, the sales manager gave me a song and dance about the
    Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, and they don't know
    what it costs to run a dealership.

I haven't looked at any other dealers in the area to see if they have similar add ons.
    I was just curious if anyone else had run into a similar situation?

Thanks for any help.

Paul
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Eh?? 31K for a Dakota? Did you explain to him people are bringing home decently equipped Crew Cab F150s, Rams, Titans, and Silverados for that price? Even a Laramie, I couldn't see myself paying more than mid 20s for this truck. My 04 Quad Sport Plus was 24167$, or about 28K OUT THE DOOR including all taxes, fees, and the finance charges for a 60 month loan at 4.9%.
  • sixfitzsixfitz Member Posts: 2
    lookkin at a 2005 SLT Club Cab V6, auto and the only options are power and heated seats for $18.3K, does that sound reasonable? MSRP is $24K
  • dfgdfg Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I'm looking at putting an aftermarket bumper on a Dodge Dakota, problem is, it is originally specked out for a Dodge ram, My big question is the mounting hardware, holes etc... going to be the same (or very close) for both vehicles (dakota & ram) so that the parts are interchangeable?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    It seems Dakota buyers aren't really into the internet as the last message is from sep 05.

I've seen numerous ads for Dakotas in the 26-32 range for 10k off MSRP. Looking at the bluebook wholesale used value for them 1year old thats about what you want off for a new one.

--jjf
  • johndiasjohndias Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2001 Quad with the 4.7 and loaded with nice options (power windows/mirrors/locks, cruise, CD, has bed lined and with locking cover). It has clearly been well kept by the owner. Carfax shows 1 owner and no wrecks, and it KBBs at $9925. Dealer is asking me $6000 for it. Besides the very high mileage the drivers side passenger window is being held closed with a cardboard shim. Other than that the truck is in very fine shape from a visual inspection and the road test was great.

Should I be concerned about the high mileage?
    Are you sure a 6 year old truck with 125000? miles blue books for 9925?. Is that the bogus retail number? Check out nada.com and edmunds.com for alternative valuations and be sure to knock off the amount for the mileage. High mileage is always a concern.

If its kbb wholesale is $7000 and they are asking 6000 with no negotiations yet you want more off and something is out of whack. Not unusual for a car more than 5 years old but still.

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm considering a 2001 Quad with the 4.7 and loaded with nice options (power windows/mirrors/locks, cruise, CD, has bed lined and with locking cover). It has clearly been well kept by the owner. Carfax shows 1 owner and no wrecks, and it KBBs at $9925. Dealer is asking me $6000 for it. Besides the very high mileage the drivers side passenger window is being held closed with a cardboard shim. Other than that the truck is in very fine shape from a visual inspection and the road test was great.

Should I be concerned about the high mileage?
    I cannot think of a gas engine and transmission combination that's more durable and long lasting than a 4.7 with a 545RFE automatic transmission. There are several around here that have reached 180K miles without any serious or expensive repairs and still going strong.

The 4.7 has a near impeccable reputation. Like most Mopar V8s they do not have a habit of excessive oil consumption. The 4.7 is a very tightly assembled engine.

Likewise the 545RFE (or 45RFE) has been an exceptionally good transmission in truck service and is the same one used behind the 5.7 Hemi.

Typical component issues for that vintage Dakota that might be affected by high mileage were ball joints, heater core & air conditioner condensers, Central Timer Modules, intermediate steering shafts (4x4 only). There were numerous complaints of premature brake rotor wear in those years.

Of course, if it is high mileage the chances are many of these areas have already had a component replacement. If you can get the repair history of the vehicle it could give you a better idea.

I know Dakotas pretty well and if the price was inline and there was no history of body damage, I wouldn't have a moments hestitation about buying one.

Good luck & best regards,
    Dusty
    I've seen several ads for the 30000 quad cab for about 10000 off msrp. That would be a pretty good deal. Beware the "chrome clad" aluminum wheels for $895. It appears that it is rough aluminum with a chrome plastic cover. This may be the same on the Ram bighorn too.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Any advice on purchasing a used 2007? I am finding it difficult to get "accurate" used pricing info since there are not that many that are getting traded. For instance I did find pricing on Edmunds and Kelly but NADA says that it does not have enough info. Since there are new ones still on the lots do the "Trade-in" values include any cash back offers or do I need to take that off as well?

2007 QC SLT 4x4
    4.8L Flex-fuel
    Bench seat
    Sliding rear window
    Power seat
    single CD
    Sprayed on bed liner
    step rails
    $23,300
    Avoid used 1year old cars. New cars can be had for not much more, if not less, especially trucks. You should be able to get a leftover 07 30000 msrp dakota quad cab for 20000 or so. A used 06 wholesales for about 18500. The machine you describe is about 30000 msrp.

A new 07 36000 msrp ram 1500 sells regularly for 24000. The kbb wholesale on a used 06 is about 21000 for a dealer sale price of about 23000+. You be the judge. The 08s large discounts will become larger with the holidays into next year. 07+ dodges bought new have the factory lifetime powertrain waranty too.

So my advice on a used 07 is ... don't. Duuuummmmb. Think 07 or 08 new.

Good luck
    --jjf

Any advice on purchasing a used 2007? I am finding it difficult to get "accurate" used pricing info since there are not that many that are getting traded. For instance I did find pricing on Edmunds and Kelly but NADA says that it does not have enough info. Since there are new ones still on the lots do the "Trade-in" values include any cash back offers or do I need to take that off as well?

2007 QC SLT 4x4
    4.8L Flex-fuel
    Bench seat
    Sliding rear window
    Power seat
    single CD
    Sprayed on bed liner
    step rails
    $23,300
    Thanks for the reply. I do agree with you. I priced out the vehicle new and it is only $500 more than what the dealer wants to sell me this one for. I will wait to see what the new incentives will be on Tuesday but may also wait until sprintime.
    According to Edmunds the rebates on 2007 Dakotas is $5000 customer cash. However, it also looks like there is $5000 dealer cash as well. Is this accurate? No other site, that I have found, shows dealer cash.
    It doesn't really matter what you find advertised. There is significant dealer cash on Dodge trucks for years. A 31000 Dakota (msrp) probably wholesales used in its 07 version for 18000 or less (kbb.com check it out) this figure is probably optimistic. This is what your 08 truck will trade in for in a year. You want at least $10000 off msrp on a Dodge Dakota. Preferably more. These trucks (20 mpg vehicles) move like mud and the Dakota has been particularly disappointing for Dodge. (The 1500 sells for less and undercuts it in most markets).

If you don't need towing I would look at the Honda Ridgeline or the Nissan Frontier.
    You should be able to get either in a crew cab for 21000 or so well equipped in 4wd. The Ridgeline is of excellent quality. Without the V8 definitely go for the other two.

Good luck
    --jjf

According to Edmunds the rebates on 2007 Dakotas is $5000 customer cash. However, it also looks like there is $5000 dealer cash as well. Is this accurate? No other site, that I have found, shows dealer cash.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you bought a new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Fiat "special edition" model in the past year or so - or if you are a dealer who sold one - a reporter would love to hear about it. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 10, 2012 with your daytime phone number and a brief description of the car and your experience with it.