Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 VW GOLF V

Comments

• mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    there are always concerns. i have a few friends with passat's and one with 2.slow golf. one passat owner had 3-4 yrs of trouble free ownership before ignition coil failed. other passat owner 2-3 yrs of an APR chipped hard driven car before experiencing leaky valves. his was fixed under warranty. he swaps out APR for orig chip when going in for service. as always people complain readily when there are problems versus a trouble free ride. you have to decide for yourself what is right for you. i owned an acura that had hot start problems and my brother had 2 hondas with the same problem. good luck.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds' now has details on the 2005 Volkswagen Golf in their Future Vehicle section. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Hmmm...the new Golf is a nice looking car. It definitely looks even more bulldog aggressive than the current car. However, I was hoping they would add a little more slope to the rear window to help make it look sportier and less like a station wagon, like the original Rabbit (which I'm the proud owner of an 84 GTI). I can't wait to see how luxurious the new interior is.

Let's hope VW gets reliability right from the get-go this time and keeps prices in check. VW seems to be retreating from the economy car business that really made a name for itself. I would like to see VW bring the Polo over here so they can have a true inexpensive car again. I also hope the added length actually translates into more rear legroom, an area where the current Golf and Jetta is seriously lacking.
    "U.S. cars likely will come with a 150-hp five-cylinder or a turbo 2.0-liter four worth 200 hp."

Read more here: Volkswagen Driving Ahead With New Golf.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Kinda looks like the current Si hatchback, with 4 doors of course.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Having seen official pictures of the Mk. V Golf, I find the new model to be quite a bit uglier than the current car. It's almost like Chris Bangle (current BMW head designer) had styled the car--it looks way overstyled, and the nose design is not quite beautiful.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I am seriously considering the 2003 2dr Golf GL with auto trans as a get-around-town car. The safety features the car offers are unmatched in similarly priced vehicles which is a huge plus in my book. Through the research that I've done, the Golf holds up well in all areas except reliability. The 2003 issue of Consumer Reports lists trouble spots for the 2001 Golf as fuel, electrical, body integrity, power equipment, and body hardware. (No data exists for the 2002 model year, per CR.) My question to Golf owners is this: Would you choose a Golf again given the reliability experience that you have had? Any responses are greatly appreciated.
    This discussion is about the new 2005 Golf. You should copy/paste your question in our main VW Golf discussion. Someone should be able to offer you some feedback there. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks, revka!
  • samdamansamdaman Member Posts: 5
    I'm a proud owner of an '03 GTI 1.8t and loving it. However, I am looking forward to the new Golf V. I have already opened a separate acct. to start saving for a down payment. I want one! But I'll wait til '07 when my warranty expires. By then VW would have worked out all the bugs and the reliability should be great. Drive on hard chargers!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    How many miles on your GTI? I am also looking forward to the new Golf/Jetta coming out. My lease expires in the Spring of '05, so I will need to make a decision on whether to risk a brand new remodeled Jetta when shopping for a car. It will be hard to resist though, because I think I will love the styling.
  • samdamansamdaman Member Posts: 5
    Since I purchased my car 6/28/03, I have put about 3500 miles on her. This is higher than usual, b/c I had to make two long distant trips as soon as I brought her home.

By the time I'm ready to buy a new one in '07, I should have around 75K miles.
  • spoilsportspoilsport Member Posts: 13
    I'm not sure about the headlights and the tails, but this is not radically different in design than the MK-IV. I currently own a 2000 Golf GLS TDI that I'm very happy with.

What I like about the MK-V is the extra 2.6" of rear legroom, and the independent rear suspension.

Sadly, there has been some talk over at the VW Vortex, that we won't initially get the traditional Golf when they become available to N.A. Initially there will be a Jetta sedan and a GTI hatch only. Since I like 4 door hatches and will insist on a diesel, I may be holding on to mine for quite a while.
    of the 2003 Frankfurt International Motor Show: 2005 VW Golf.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    First we may not be getting the normal Golf, now I see on another message board that we won't be getting the 4 cyl BMW 1 series either. Do the Germans hate us or something? Getting back at us for Iraq? Or is it the fact that all they care about is selling higher pricede cars to the CEOs we're putting in jail? With the economy here the way it is they're missing opportunities by not choosing to import decent, decently-priced cars....
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had an 02 Jetta that was totalled, but I really liked the car. What I would like to see improved in the new MKV is rear seat room, quality control, reliability, the sloppy base suspension, and VW's attitude toward customer service.

If VW can get this one right, I will definitely consider one down the road in a couple years.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Is it going to weigh more than the Mk 4? I can't find that information anywhere
  • srosssross Member Posts: 33
    There's a nice review of the next generation Golf at the 4car site www.4car.co.uk .
  • spectre96spectre96 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday I drove the new VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 4-cylinder with 140 bhp. It's wonderful. I can't tell you to go drive the new Audi A3 or Volkswagen Touran with the same engine, but you don't want anything else but diesel anymore after driving this car.

It has so much torque, that if you push the accelerator to deep, every start will end up with a wheelspin. (sorry for my english).

It steers so much better than the former Golf IV, I just love it! Hope it will come to the USA soon.
  • gtichangtichan Member Posts: 5
    Okay, I've seen the Golf at the Tokyo motor show, and the new Audi A3 at the dealers. I owned at 01 GTI GLX, and currently own a 97 Audi A3. I thought the MK4 Golf was a better car then my current A3. But now, the new generation A3 is far more better looking then the MK5 Golf. Ofcourse.. we all know its basically the same car with different badges and shell..but A3 has the aggressive mean look. The new golf looks as if it is designed by Mazda.. like an MPV or something. Too simple.. no german quality to it. Haven't driven neither car so can't really comment. But the Golf is bargain for what it is. I can pretty much say its the safest car in its class with high-end quality materials that won't lose to audi. I mean look, compare the interior of an Mazda 3 to the Golf! mazda just doesn't impress me. Only problems is reliabilty and service( in USA) that concerns me. My GTI had too many "quality" problems, forcing me to sell it. My Audi's doing a good job with minor problems. I thought they are identical inside? wierd... not only that VW service was horrible. Having had bad experience with VW, I am leaning to getting an A3.. sorry they dont have those in america. And no, europeans don't hate americans?!..or do they? Well hatchbacks just doesn't have a great status in USA. Hatchback= cheap, dangerous and ugly. Which is so untrue IMO. So Audi doesn't wanna risk their "luxury" image in the USA.
    Not sure about your comments on Mazda, I like the new Mazda 3 interior better than the MKIV golf. Exterior wise, I think the Golf is a very good looking car, but I like the 3 better than the Jetta, and the 6 better than the Passat.

And as far as the MPV (which I don't really care about either way), I think it (and any other minivan out there) look better than the Eurovan.

What the Golf has that Mazda doesn't is a 3 door hatch - which is getting pretty rare these days. Looking forward to part 5.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Agreed, I went and sat in several Mazda3s a couple of weeks ago and found the interior to be fantastic. Definitely equal to, if not better than all of the MKIV Golfs I have been in. The Mazda also has infinitely superior steering and shifting feel to any current VW product.

That said I am looking foward to seeing what kind of job VW did with this new Golf, especially the GTi.
  • mindaugusmindaugus Member Posts: 20
    With all this hybrid Toyota stuff seems a hybrid VW diesel could win the MPG prize big time.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "Not sure about your comments on Mazda, I like the new Mazda 3 interior better than the MKIV golf."

Even w/ the "6-star" interior, the VW Phaeton is a disappointing car when comes to ride comfort & steering/handling.

The plush-interior Golf/Jetta IV has a telescopic steering wheel that's still too far away as if VW wanted to preserve the air-cool Beetle's tradition. I'll rather give up the VW's padded dashboard & go for Mazda's good driving position, even the past models w/o the telescopic adjustment. What Mazda loses is the noise level, especially when cruising on the concrete fwy.

This is getting exciting, the Euro Focus has spawned all those suspension pieces to make these new cars competitive to each other -- Golf/Jetta/Passat, Mazda3, S40/V50, & even the Mondeo-based Jaguar X-Type. Then throw in the similarly roomy 3-series & TSX...
    "And as far as the MPV (which I don't really care about either way), I think it (and any other minivan out there) look better than the Eurovan."

I like the Euro VW Sharan minivan's looks better than the Mazda MPV.

& next year's Honda Odyssey? The smaller Japanese (4-cyl?)version sure looks way better than the "giant" one we're gonna get.
  • s0i0ds0i0d Member Posts: 3
    I have been holding out for the new Golf for many months now; hoping it would be here this fall. But now I see Edmunds has marked it 2006 Golf V. What's wrong with VW?

Is it true that even if BMW-1 series coes to the US, it will only be the Sedan and not the hatchback? Any chances of Audi A3 coming to USA?

All I want is a dependable hatchback with good mileage - preferably diesel / hybrid. Toyota Prius - they said they have a 12-month waiting list. Maybe Mazda 3 or Scion?
    While, you are describing some more expensive cars, you may want to look at a VW R32, you might want to try a Civic Si.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    ... Note that the A3 is indeed coming to the U.S. and actually shouldn't be priced that much higher than the Golf, given what the A4 goes for...

- Bret
  • s0i0ds0i0d Member Posts: 3
    That would be great... but I see nothing on edmunds.com or on audiusa.com. Where did you find this info? Thanks!
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
  • dennisvwdennisvw Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this board and have a long background of working with VW's (since 82) and currently work in a VW dealership as a service advisor. Here's what we've been told thus far about the new Golf.
      We will probably get the existing engine range to start, though, the diesel at this point is still up in the air. Diesels, if they come, will not be sold in California as they cannot meet the emmissions requirements there. Prices will be probably be higher than current models, but we don't know how much. As it is currently, the Passat is less expensive in the USA than in Europe (I was there last year and compared prices in a dealership over there, to ours).
       I have been told by a VW corporate person that the aim of VW is not to be a mass merchandiser of vehicles, but to move the brand up market; I took this to mean that the vehicle will be a fair percentage higher than our current model and that the vehicle will not be sold in the US until they think they have it right! (Given the issues of coils and window regulators, that's probably a smart thing). dennis
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    VW overexpanded in the US without adding adequate service bays or, in the San Francisco area, realistic service hours for working families. They need better service. I can deal with a car that breaks down more than a commodity car like a Toyota, but why can I get my Toyota serviced on MY schedule, while the VW was agony to get serviced?
    If the new Golf is heavier (just a guess, new generations usually are) won't the current base engine make it really slow for a car at its price?
    The car magazines have all stated the new base engine will be a 5 cylinder engine with about 150 hp. The optional 2.0 turbo four cylinder will have 200 hp. If the 5 cylinder doesn't make it, I would expect to see a nonturbo version of the new 2.0 multivalve engine. The accepted word has been that the current 2.0 will be dropped. I don't think VW wants to continue to embarrass itself by installing such a low tech engine in an all new car.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The reports I have read are that, in Europe, there is a normally aspirated 4 cylinder 1.6 that makes 115 hp (same as existing North American 2.0) and a normally aspirated 4 cylinder 2.0 that makes 150...so the 150 hp sounds right...but I haven't read anything about a 5 cylinder engine - is that brand new?

I'd be really surprised if VW invests in a new 5 cylinder, normally aspirated 2.0 engine when they clearly have been pushing turbos as an alternative for those desiring better performance. Since VW has been too cheap to upgrade the normally aspirated 2.0 to multi valves, variable valve timing, and double over head cams, I doubt they will spend the enormous sums required to design, test, and gear up to build a totally new engine.

In some ways it would be cheaper for VW to come out with a "lower boost" turbo (like with the PT Cruiser, which has a high output, intercooled turbo, and a non-intercooled, lower output turbo) than come up with one extra cylinder and all the hardware to go with it (the valve train etc). This is somewhat feasible, as a marketing tool, since the turbo has risen in power over the past 5 years from its early mediocre output. They could just "niche under" the present turbo.

I do agree that when I got my 2001 Golf, I was pretty upset that the 2.0 normally aspirated was so low tech, way behind the curve. In reality, it had good freeway punch, because it was geared low - it was running 4000 rpm at 80 mph - I didn't have to throw a down shift to scoot up from 60 to 80, but at the same time, it didn't get rough or particularly noisy if I ran it up to 100 mph. For some reason it didn't run out of steam at the upper rpm range, despite the fact that it peaks torque very low in the rpm range - around 2200 rpm as I recall.
    "...but I haven't read anything about a 5 cylinder engine - is that brand new?"

No, it's just a VR5(a VR6 w/ one cylinder chopped off). One Brit car magazine pointed out that, compare to Audi's 1.8 turbo, this 5-cyl, which was introduced not long after the Audi's 1.8 turbo, costs more, has weaker torque, worse fuel economy, & no better smoothness, but...

Since the 1.8 turbo has max torque all the way &, therefore, sounds boring(literally) & even feels boring due to lack of torque change for several thousand rpms, you're likely to FEEL more satisfying revving this 5-cyl back & forth, &, therefore, has more character!
    Well, Europe is used to those small engines. Displacement based tax and all that. I don't know how they do it, everyone driving manual cars on cobblestone roads that are centuries old and aren't at all flat and level... it's impressive.

Glad to hear the 2.0 won't be offered here though.
    The VR5 is a 2.4 liter engine if my memory serves me correctly. I think they are looking to match other small cars with big motors, like the 2.5 in the Sentra, 2.4 in the Lancer, and 2.3 in the Aerio. The 5 cylinder engine will feel much more powerful off the line then the old 1.8 turbo. No turbo lag to deal with. Fuel economy won't be great though.

Honestly, I'll be sad to see the old 8 valve engine go. It's the last close tie to my 84 Rabbit GTI which has a bulletproof spunky engine. Over 20 years of service is a testament to the durable design of the engine.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?viewUserProfile!vuserName=c- - reakid1

Unfortunately the GEX header kept rubbing my GTI front swaybar(this Jetta didn't have a front swaybar to begin with), so the mechanic tried to move the header & broke it. Now I'm stuck w/ driving my Japanese cars for a while.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    VW is so arrogant to think that their cars are "premium" and still have all these quality issues. Also, to think that people will sit and wait 6 years for a new design today is ridiculous.

For the price of a cramped Jetta, one can get a nice roomy true mid sized car.

They deserve their recent sales dive.
    "VW is so arrogant to think that their cars are "premium" and still have all these quality issues."

Let's hope VW can figure out how to make reliable cars, at least the ones imported from Germany. CR gave the Passat 2.8 the highest reliability rating of all German cars. That's a start.

"Also, to think that people will sit and wait 6 years for a new design today is ridiculous."

6 yrs isn't much. Have you wondered why the Camry/ES300 still rode uncomfortably shallow over deeper bumps for another 10 yrs from '92-02? It's b/c they've been using the same low-tech short-spring platform all this time! Even my '84 Jetta Wolfsburg coupe(just restored) based on the '74 Scirocco rides more comfortably over bumps than any of the low-tech FWD Toyota's from the '90's! While this manual-steering "vintage" VW's stable comfortable ride also provides fun-&-safe tossable handling & good-feeling steering, if only the noise level...

Besides, the new quiet Golf V is a truely new design w/ the Focus-type control-blade rear suspension, so it's level of ride/handling compromise will climb to a new height. While someone in the VW family just figured out how to tune the new electric steering from numb into...
    creakid1 "2006 Volkswagen Jetta" Apr 1, 2004 2:07pm
    When you consider that a good number of Jetta owners are single and don't have kids, then it doesn't make sense for them to spend the same money and get a midsize car. Some people simply don't want or need a family sized car but they prefer something sportier and more luxurious then your average small car and VW fills that premium small car niche with the Jetta. By your own thought process, one would wonder why someone would buy a BMW 3 series when they can have a full size Avalon......They are two totally different market segments and attract different buyers. Bigger is not always better, as so many Americans think.
    Actually, I think bigger is usually worse.
    or a good-handling-car, or both, that rides comfortably.

So far, the base 325i is the champ.

Back in '99, when I told another customer in the Pasadena VW dealer, "I guarantee! You can't find another car (rides)this comfortable at this price(over $19k Jetta)", the salesman was mighty impressed. That's right, while I sat in the back seat during the test drives, even the '99 Avalon didn't ride as calm as the '99 Jetta over bumps/undulations.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    does matter to average buyer. Why do you think VW decided to increase the size of Golf V? I think their marketing folks saw they could sell more golfs this way. I think this is a good decision. Current golf is really tiny. Especially in Texas. I also think that recently redesigned Mazda3 is eating into VW sales. The same concept, extremely well executed, cheaper, larger and with the same quality as Jetta/Golf.
    The Golf V needs a bit more over the Golf IV's rear leg room, which was shrunken INTENTIONALLY from the earlier generations. Any 3rd-world version would not tolerate this kind of waste. That's why there's the roomy version of the Golf/Jetta IV -- the Skoda Octavia.

The current Passat also lost leg room to the previous generation, but China Passat & Skoda Superb simply added their own wheelbase inches.

Even I, 5'11", had no problem fitting into both the front & back of my pre-'85 Rabbit/Jetta I.

Car companies purposely shrink their cars once while, as they can't just let the Golf growing in size continuously so no one will buy the Passat any more, especially the Golf is already quiet & comfy.

The Volvo S80 costs a lot, so all the cheaper Volvo's are required to come w/ a cramped back seat. Heck, the old affordable Volvo 200 series got excess leg room even w/o FWD's packaging efficiency!

& of course, w/ FWD packaging, a 173"-long '84 Camry has enormous amount of rear leg room.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    My understanding is that all new-chasis Jettas/Boras will be made in Mexico and imported to US and EU. This is a change in VW strategy and I would hope that they can concentrate effort into ensuring a high quality product this way. It also makes sense as the Jetta sells better in NA and the Golf sells better in EU. It seems unclear when GolfV will be made in Mexico or Brazil so maybe we will only get more expensive GTI's from EU initially.
This discussion has been closed.