Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    If you look at that picture closely you will note that the car is parked on an uneven surface.
    The rt front wheel is compressed into the wheelwell. Making the front end look like it is down and there is rake to the car.
    The right rear wheel has less weight on it so that the backend appears higher.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The NAIAS debuts are as follows:

<b>Chevrolet Corvette 01.01.2004 at 06:00</b> Cadillac CTS-V 01.01.2004 at 06:00 Land Rover Rage Stormer 03.01.2004 at 00:01 Pontiac Solstice 04.01.2004 at 06:00 Chevrolet Nomad 04.01.2004 at 06:00 Saturn Curve 04.01.2004 at 06:00 Toyota Highlander 04.01.2004 - Mitsubishi Eclipse Concept-E 05.01.2004 at 06:00 Pontiac G6 05.01.2004 at 06:00 Nissan Pathfinder 05.01.2004 at 17:00 Nissan Frontier Pickup 05.01.2004 at 17:00 Toyota Scion TC 05.01.2004 - Lexus GS 06.01.2004 - Lexus RX 330 Hybrid 06.01.2004 -
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Thanks everyone!
    I saw the pictures wherever it was, including my first shot, stopping the flash at chevrolet.com
    Then I came towards here to see the official Corvette photos.

INTERIOR
    Love it. Everything about it. It is great, and I think GM has been improving. Though I'm still not sure, I know that this is it. I love the car, and how it looks. These photos are great!

EXTERIOR
    The exterior makes the Corvette look like a Ferrari. I love it, everything about it. Any engine information though? Can't wait till it comes out!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    The new Chevrolet ads that appeared just after midnight on the networks on New Year's Day. The new Corvette was front and center in all its raging glory. The cat is definitely out of the bag.

Chevy's web site has the ad in Quicktime.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    I saw the commercial(American Revolution), the vette looked good....The last truck they showed looked pretty wild also....I'm looking forward to Sunday the 4th, when we'll get all the details on the car....
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    As always, Corvette has a winner here. New interior is a nice upgrade from the 04. American Revolution ads last night made me drool.

;-)
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I, too, saw the commercials and the new Corvette looked perfect!! And I didn't know an Aveo could do that ;)
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

Another link with specs and descriptions. Especially like the 400/400 and the better gearing for the next Z51.
    Love the new blue illumination lights on the interior.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Wow, just saw the new ad on TV and the car looked great. I've been getting interested in one as part of my own 50th anniversary this year; guess its part of my yearning for youth. Never thought I'd be leaning towards one as I little toleration for poor reliability and service. Have been a dedicated Lexus and Acura owner for many years now but can't wait for more information to show up now that I've seen it.
    But stay away from local dealers unless you want to pay top dollar. The internet and especially Corvette specific forums have many who are now taking orders for MSRP delivery. I might gag if I went down to the locals and asked about what they would want for the first few they will get with their small allocations.
    Thanks for all the links, great info....The C6 will now come standard with a stick, auto transmission will be an option...
    NOW, ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS THE PRICING!!!....As long as it's in the same ball park as the C5 I'm buying, just going to wait a little while, let the hype settle down........
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    After spending a good part of the first 6 hours of the new year taking in all that is officially available about the C6, I am left with a sense of evolutionary improvement. Much has been done to keep the Corvette competitive with other sports cars. However, I have yet to see a compelling reason to trade my 2003 Coupe - which is a good thing, because in December 2002 when I placed the order, I knew the C6 was right around the corner.

There are plenty of reasons to buy a Corvette if you haven't yet. That said, I am still glad that I bought my 2003 Coupe. Much of what was really great about the later-stage C5 (like Magnetic Selective Ride Control) has migrated to the C6, while some enhancements (such as the improved braking) of the C6 can be addressed with after-market solutions for the C5. As I said at the beginning of this post, evolutionary improvement.
    Now that we have all this info. on the C6(except pricing, but have read it will be similar to the C5), with all the C5's in showrooms & inbound, won't potential customers want to wait for a C6?(more power, better overall design, technological improvements)....I know for a fact that you can get a C5 at dealer invoice(that's almost $7000 off sticker for a coupe)....When will production cease for the C5???.....
    The C6 is not going to get me out of my 2002 Coupe either. It is just too much fun and at 350 hp it's got more than I know how to handle properly. Maybe in a couple years I'll get tired of the '95 coupe for the daily driver and look forward to driving the '02 daily. No long commute or frequent stop and go which would make the 6sp less than optimum, it's just fun and miles of smiles. But, I'm very glad to see they continue to push to bar higher on all fronts and maybe it will pull a few out of foreign rides and note that a Corvette can be a special ride for more than just power.
       Come to think of it, I am the leading edge of the Baby Boom and with 17 years of bulk behind me I'm betting there are more than a few who will try one of these and like me, even though they never saw a Vette in their future, decide it's time to enjoy what they worked for all those years. Rather than run around on 4 wheels and brakes.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I have to agree with you, never thought I'd seriously consider a Vette until now. Actually I just built a custom home and my builder has a new Vette and races vintage autos and has gotten me interested in 2-seaters. He's got both the Vette and a S2000 for his spouse and enjoys them enormously. Maybe I'll have to take serious look at an '04 and deal a little to get my feet wet.
    I never really saw the Vette in my future but I did however have an interest in learning how to drive with more skill. The driving school was always something to do in the future. ;)

Then I got the Vette since I fit compared to many others I looked at. Now I've been to two performance driving schools and I've take my car to Sears Point twice. On Saturday I'll be spending the day at Laguna Seca.
    They are pounding the big ad tonight. I have seen it 5 times. Wow.
    Seriously, how much are they spending on that ad? Two minutes on primetime TV is not cheap, and they seem to be airing it every-other commercial break on every channel!
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    It's been on T.V. all night, but also is available via a Yahoo link and it's on the Chevrolet website. GM clearly wants to start off 2004 with a bang. The Vette looks awesome.
    ..they could be spending that money for even better reliability and interior materials' quality ;)

Yup, seen that ad too many times already - Comedy Central, USA Network, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. Whew! :)
  • 3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    I've seen the ad about a dozen times on TV and still keep watching it on the internet.
    I love the ad, it's amazing how much product Chevy is introducing this year. Hopefully it's all as good as it looks.
    We know the C6 has a standard 400 hp, info from General Motors themselves, but now we have to worry about the Z06. But the C6 is enough to beat Porsche's, so what is the Viper's exact 0-60. I'd like to see if Corvette can beat it.
    Just to say: The C6 goes 0-60 in 4.3 secs.
    rctennis: But they DID spend megabucks on the interior, which looks tasteful and high-quality. (Okay, I'm not crazy about the wings on the steering wheel, but whatever). Looks better than a 996 inside, and Porsche's 997 interior will only make the Porsche competitive on interior quality...at nearly 2x the price!
    Oh, I meant other Chevy vehicles....nevertheless, the commercial still looks appealing everytime I see it! :)
  • 300eguy05300eguy05 Member Posts: 39
    Wow, what a car! Can't wait to get more info on it. The headlights though... I don't know... They certainly do look a lot like those found on the Viper imo. But it is still a beautiful car. I too saw the commercials. But I guess anyone watching tv last night would have seen it. It was a very cool commercial.
    rctennis: Oh, got it. I agree on the Impala and Malibu interiors...kinda tacky. The Cobalt and Corvette, on the other hand, seem to have it just right.

Overall, GM seems to be the American car company to watch. It's about time, too.
  • pprabhu1pprabhu1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    which are the corvette-specific forums/internet sites taking orders for the 2004? I am interested.

thanks.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    As a previous owner of two Corvettes the 2005 C6 is the first Vette that has sparked my interest in a long time. The styling reminds me of the 360 Modena in the headlights and the Viper in the front fenders while still maintaining the Vette persona.

Of course I would never, never, never buy a first year GM car and did I say never? Maybe I will consider a 2006 or 7 when the quality is up to speed and the pricing becomes reasonable.

The C5 is a fun car but the interior is a real weakness and the styling while nice does not compare to the new C6 IMHO. And the drivetrain seems very exciting.

The new Mazda RX8 gets terrible gas milage for a car that has relatively little horsepower while the Chevy smallblock is rated for 28MPG on the highway with 400 horsepower. Talking about having your cake and eating it too.

Cant wait to see and drive it.
    I would also wait a year. Not only for quality bugs, but they Z06 and 6-speed automatic transmission will debut a year later.
    After 4 sessions on the track at Laguna Seca today and getting 12mpg after doing a reset prior to the first session, I then refilled off track and drove home 100+ miles. Took it fairly easy but won't claim I wasn't over the limit a little and the reset mileage from the computer was 30.0 mpg when I hit the front door. The car is amazing in more ways than most will admit. The interior is a weak point but maybe they will get even that right in the new one.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    well the rx8 is 20 grand cheaper.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The Viper has tested twice (MT and C&D) at 3.9 sec. 0-60.

Looks like the C6 will be about a half-second back.

And the Ford GT about a half-second ahead.

DrFill (DIG)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I like the new C6 and most everything about it.400 hp would be enough for me......For the horsepower fanatics!!! The big news at the Detroit auto show is the Chrysler M4H-12.......supercar..0-60 2.9 seconds!!....V12 850 hp.....a final decision hasn't been made yet on its production but it looks like its coming!....GM is talking 625 hp for the Corvette Blue Devil......this information is only for the Horsepower gurus....but don't think Chrysler will ever be outdone......don't be surprised if the next Viper isn't over 600 hp.. Where will it all end!!!
    Sheez. Where will it all end? I think a few years ago someone was floating an idea for a 1,000 HP sports car. The only problem was there are no transmissions in the world that can handle the torque from that monster. So, there is a theoretical limit on HP, because it's unlikely anyone will invest in ALL the technology needed to make such a car commmercially viable.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Yeah that 1000hp car is called the Bugatti Veryon which is slated for production soon.

http://www.bugatti-cars.de/bugatti/

...and it's actually 1001hp.
    There was an article a year ago in one of the auto mags that said there would be 10 500hp production cars in about three years. I'm not looking for 500 hp in the next Z06 but could be close. If the tech guys can figure out the HP, they can also figure out the tranny. Then again the driver is a problem, the pro driving the Veryon at Laguna Seca last August spun it on the first lap.
  • batboy930batboy930 Member Posts: 1
    just a comment on the rx8. in no way shape or form should the rx8 be compared to a corvette. there is a reason why all cars don't have a rotory engine in them...they blow. they are nothing but a marketing ploy just like dodge's revival of the HEMI engine. just a way to sell crap cars. Ford and Chrysler are the kings of it.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    That was random... Why don't you go post that in an RX-8 forum instead of a Corvette forum?
  • dracladracla Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find more info about the C6? Saw it on TV and might get one. Looking forward to having lights that don't have to pop up to come on.

A link would be very helpful.

Waving at you...
    http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

If you go to the links at the right of that page has lots of info. I'm guessing that GMBuyPower now has data up as well.
    the Corvette is great & the best possibly. At GM.com I watched the webcast, and saw the vehicle at all angles, for once instead of the once at a time. I loved the background music that Chevrolet put on during the show. It was cool & RETRO. If Chevrolet wants it to sell, the cars have to be sleek, sexy, and full of cool gadgets. For example, the C5 represented the lowest quality of interior: no navi system for a flagship, no new features for a flagship, not even a nice interior for the flagship. Finally, we see what Chevrolet can do once they put their minds to it..The Ford Mustang will maybe even prove competition to Chevy for the 2005 and beyond years. Chevrolet has to make the Corvette strong & powerful, and make it able to stand up to others such as Porsche, Ferrari, and the best of the world. Chevy needs to leave the other domestic supercars alone in their own world and come to the Europeans, by competing with them. With a new Ferrari on the loose, the 612, Chevrolet has to upgrade horsepower and make the Corvette lighter. The top of the line Corvette has to have distinctive engine features for top of the line kind of stuff... and finally, Chevrolet should make it mandatory for dealers to put people on an ordering list (like practically everyone is on to buy a Chevy).
    The Corvette is great, it just needs some features to have the same stuff like the big Euro super cars (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Benz). I'm really hoping for a production Blue-Devil, though it'll never actually happen in my generation.
    "no new features for a flagship"

The C5 had Active Handling and HUD which at the time were within a year of anyone else having it. The Corvette AH system is switchable, on, off or Competition modes which is tremendous in a car some what to take to the track. The HUD is something that once I got used to it, I look for in everything I drive and am constantly disappointed.

"and finally, Chevrolet should make it mandatory for dealers to put people on an ordering list (like practically everyone is on to buy a Chevy)."

Don't follow this, what is the issue? Current allocation system keeps a low volume vehicle so that there is enough in each area to have the local service tech's get experience with the car. Without an allocation system you would have the dealers bidding against each other, now the bigger dealers lower the price to keep the allocation which is good for the buyer.

I could agree more with all the EU comments if the models that compete with the C5 were close in price or if the ones close in price were very close in performance. GM may have shortcomings but the whole package in the C5 was a great deal for the last few years. The C6 looks to be more of the same at another step up, if they have fewer new model issues than in past years.
  • oldbikeroldbiker Member Posts: 17
    Actually I disagree with wsag26, I want as few electronic gizmos as I can. Please please, no I-Drive, idiotic nav systems, DVD screens, or motorized doohickeys. These things add weight, keep breaking, and don't do much for the driving experience. Those desiring pimp-mobiles should go with Caddy.

Incidentally, my 84 vette was the worst car I ever had and my 02 Tahoe is by far the best. I think GM has come a long way... hope the C6 will be troublefree from day one. (And hope my back will last long enough for another vette.)
    oldbiker, you are exactly right. The Vette is for pure, American performance, without all the electronic doohickeys. It also keeps it affordable, which is a key part of the Vette.

If you want a Corvette but want all that coddling stuff, buy an XLR. Or for those who need OHC. ;)
    The XLR is priced about 50% higher than a C6. So, even with Sat-Nav the Vette is affordable, especially compared with other cars with similar performance (Ferrari Modena, Porsche 996). Sat-Nav and XM Radio add minimal weight...less than A/C, which all Vettes will have. I don't see the problem, personally. If I were going ot buy a C6 as a touring machine, I'd get Nav and other modern comforts. Why not?
This discussion has been closed.