Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• billys105billys105 Member Posts: 1
    What are people's feelings on the new interior? The Corvette has represented a great performance buy for years. You simply can't buy a better performer for $50,000. The C5's biggest downfall was that it had an interior similar to that of a $15,000 Cavalier. It appears GM has adressed the issue, although the interior isn't BMW quality it's an improvement. As far as optional Nav systems and the like are concerned, they should be available to those who want them, but the hardcore performance enthusiast should be able to opt out of them if he/she so chooses. As for me, I'd take mine in convertible form with NAV, HUD, etc. They don't add that much more weight and the 400HP and capable chassis and suspension setup provide more than enough performance.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Seems the new Coupe with the Z51 option will have more to it than in the past which is great in my view. Lots of people want the performance although based on how many I see at the track not a lot use it. Getting the benefit of the better interior, and it does remain to be seen how good it holds up, which was the prior main issue IMO, will only be addressed by time. But, the better performance package will come at a cost where the old addition of mostly bigger sway bars didn't cost very much. Interesting to see what the take rate for the option will be compared to history when the first year gets in the book.

For example, the take on Z51 was 22/23% in non Z06's in '02 and with Z06's at 8,300 units totaled 14,400 'performance vettes' or just under 40% of Vettes sold that year. Pretty amazing since I figure most are used for touring.
  • spolk3spolk3 Member Posts: 1
    I just returned from the Detroit auto show and the new C6 looks very good. The car did not loose any of its personality. With 400 horses and 400 lb of torque on the standard coupe, the version of the Z06 will be able to compete easily with the Ford GT. To enter and start the car is all keyless and the 6 speed manual is now a standard feature. The automatic is optional. GM is bringing back the rust orange for one of the new colors. The run flats are still in effect, 18 in the front and 19 on the rear. But I definitely agree to wait at least one to two years before purchasing my next Vette.
    However there are internet dealers that are closing out their order lists for both MSRP and $500 off MSRP since they have enough to fill from expected first year allocations. Main early availability issue seems to be the memory of many when they only built about 10k Vettes in 1997 and the local dealers were asking big premium. Since I wasn't interested in it at that time I've got nothing to add from experience. It does seem they will make what should be a normal June/July introduction and delivery start which might support what I'll call normal production of say over 30k units.

The other factor is availability of options. Because of CAFE they limit the performance axle in the auto since it gives worse mileage. That may have some impact on the new performance package but again only time will tell.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I would wait for the 6-speed automatic to come out.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    "As far as optional Nav systems and the like are concerned, they should be available to those who want them, but the hardcore performance enthusiast should be able to opt out of them if he/she so chooses."

I don't consider myself a hardcore performance person and I still wouldn't want Nav on my car no matter the model.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    You may have a while to wait before a 6-speed automatic appears on the Corvette.
    Maybe longer for one that can reliably handle the 400+ ft/lbs of torque from the C6's engine.
  • aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    I like the upgraded performance but what happened to the outside? Ever since the C4 when the designer from Pontiac took over the Corvette looked like it was modeled after the Firebird. Then the C5 continued its copied design with the sides off of an Acura NSX. The only good looking part was the back. But I will say it has grown on me and I don't find it too offensive anymore, but this C6 is horrible. It's as though they thought that since the Firebird is gone, lets just copy everyone else. The shape of the hood and fenders has similarities to the last generation Viper along with the nose looking [non-permissible content removed] with its 350Z style. The sides look even more like an Acura and the back looks terrible. Not to mention that the centermounted tail light looks like an afterthought and the fact that the pop-up head lights are gone. What happened to that classic original look it had back in the 60's when companies actually knew how to make a vehicle. If you took the performance out of todays Corvette and put it into the body of a 1967, you would have one awesome true American sports car.
    Based on pre-orders and some dealers on the internet already shuting off their lists due to selling what they expect to get in first year allocations, you are in the minority. As noted above I'm guessing, when you get to the wind tunnel it doesn't lie. To get the .29+ drag factor on the C5 to under .29- in the C6, what sounds like a minor difference, they had to get into little details. That means that real performance cars are going to approach some common shape that will be very hard to diviate from, hence some sameness if you want the results. As with most of what I've read elsewhere the C6 in pictures looks good, hope I like it as much when I get around to trying to make a deal on one and they come up with a nice Blue that year.
  • juzefjuzef Member Posts: 37
    Dear Corvette Fans,

I'm at the turning point. I'm 30 years old. I think at 24, I became a 'young man'. Well now, I think my title has shifted to just, 'man'. Who knows when the next stage begins, and I don't even want to say what word will preceed man. The point is, for the first time in my life, I am conscious of time. My youth is finite.

Dammit though, I'm NOT ready to be old. Luckily I've obtained the means, to buy one of my long desired boyish fantasy cars. The Corvette! :) And just in time or perhaps a few years late depending how you wanna look at it, to hold stead fast on to my youthful spirit.

So I'll be reading the posts here and elsewhere in preparation for the big purchase.

I look forward to the thoughtful and helpful advice.

-----------------------
    Here's what I can afford:
    roughly 60k..painful but possible

- Will the 2005 Z06 be in the 60K price range??
    If not, then I guess I'll get the Z51 package.

- Will the Z06 and/or the Z51 come in a Convertable package??

- Also, I can't drive stick yet, but according to everyone I speak to.. It would be a sin to buy a Corvette automatic. Is this true? If so, I'll just have to learn stick.

Thanks peoples,

Joseph
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Painful but possible, i love it....

I'm considering a C5 coupe(42,000 with tax). extremely painful but possible.......

For 60,000 I think you'll be able to get the C6 of your choice, but pricing won't be out for awhile.....
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    C5s in LA are mid 30s right now...

PLEASE DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC CORVETTE!
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    I am considerably not younger than you. I recently bought a 'Vette, and consider it one of the best decisions of my life (after my decision to marry my wife. She, for better or worse, also feels the 'Vette was one of the best decisions of my life, and has her own set of keys). I bought a stick, and have never looked back. Not only does it vastly increase the enjoyment of the car, it is one of the easiest sticks to drive that I have ever experienced. The Corvette engine is a torque monster, so you shift (or not) pretty much whenever you want to. If you are feeling insecure about trying to downshift to accelerate or to go around a corner, you just don't; the engine will carry you through. Upshifting too. What the hell, 2nd gear will allow you to break any speed limit in the land. So get the 'Vette and get the stick. You will never regret it (at least until you lose track of it and see the blinking lights in your rear-view mirror.)

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    what's so terribly wrong with buying a vette with an auto? i think it's verrry cool to just cruise with the top down and not lift a finger except to sparkle my pinky ring in the sunlight.

not everyone wants to work out everytime they sit in a car. i have my bike for that. some of us like to just go for a sweet drive in a fine looking ride.
    I agree that both work well for different crowds. I also got the stick since I've driven mostly manual since my first car in 1964, I'm not as young as you 20/30 somethings, but also unlike many I talk to I don't yet have bad knees which is one reason many go to auto. The Corvette Club locally that I joined has owners from 20's to 80's so it seems to retain it appeal. But to address a few of the questions:

At $60k today you could get what ever you want in a current C5, vert or Z06, including tax and licence. My coupe ran just under $50k all up a couple years ago and that was only 2k under MSRP. Today on the web you can get them for $5/6k under with 2k rebate from something I saw recently.

The Z06 will likely not be released until a 2006 model year or later, it is not scheduled for 2005. The Z06 has not yet come in a vert.
       You can get the Z51 performance package in either coupe or vert on the C5 but it isn't much more than stiffer sway bars and fixed suspension vs. getting the magnetic ride control in the C5.

As far as learning the stick on the C5, it is an easy stick to drive, as noted, torque makes some things really easy. However, my wife likes to put it in one gear and drive, great when we are on tour and the gear is 6th on the freeway, I shudder to think what that would be like around town. Just because something is possible it may not be preferrable.
    I believe I'm the type of person to get the stick.
    To me, performance matters as well as the looks of the ride. I'll learn stick..no problem.

Since, i want the lengendary Z06.. but don't want to wait a whole year necessarily, does it make sense to lease.

How 'painful' is it to lease a Corvette (say Z51) until the new one comes out.

I don't want to wait since.. Time is the very enemy I'm fighting here. But, at the same time, how impractical is leasing a sports car? Then again, sports cars and practicality, probablydon't go together from the get go anyway.

I'm moving out to the San Diego area. Does the Vette blend well in the relaxed layed back southern California mentality? Just wondering. I'm from the East Coast. New Jersey, and needless to say, the Vette is highly respected and admired over here. (At least, when it's not snowing.)

Thank You again very much.printz,muffinman, bhill2,starow68

Trust me, I value your input.

Joseph
    I used to live in San Diego, there are Corvettes around - you'll blend in just fine. Perfect place for a convertible, but if you're already getting a stick I'm not going to press my luck.
    Just to try and clarify, Z06 is performance fixed roof coupe. Z51 is performance option on base coupe/hatchback or Vert but is not a Z06. Did I make that clear? Basically two different things, although there may be items that are the similar between the two, just to confuse things. As to leasing I have no experience but I've read that many do it with Vette's. I'd say the real issue is price you pay which at most local dealers is not too much of a bargain and on the internet you can find some real deals. I don't consider it a bargain if I have to spend a whole day trying to get my licence back from a salesman as he discounts another $100. As I've noted before, I did my deal back in 2001, pre 9/11, with a total of 4 emails and a confirming phone call of less than 5 minutes to get exactly what I wanted and not something close that the dealer had on the lot.
       As to fitting in in CA with a Vette, check out corvetteforum dot com and the message boards about regional events for the Pacific area. If you want performance, shows, or just driving up the coast there seems to be things going on in all areas regularly. It can become a life style or you can just join the fun once in awhile like I've done. If you want performance, take it to the track, there are many options.
    Here are some obvious questions I'd like to
    put back on the surface of discussion. Perhaps
    no one knows the answers at this point. But, if
    this is true that no one knows, then that's information to those who don't even know that. (like me :)

Roughly how much will the 2005 Z06 cost?
    Roughly when will the 2005 Z06 come out.

If the Z06 will cost significantly above 60K, it would break alot of people's hearts..or perhaps it would open a door in a way. I say this because, a major draw back of the Z06 has always been to some, that she doesn't come in a convertible. If the 2005 Z06 will cost significantly more than $60K, then it makes the choice easy to those who are torn between performance and leasure (convertible). That choice would be a converitible Z51! which offers the same performance (almost) as the 2004 Z06 but also comes with the option of converitible (I think..at least according to what I've read so far.)

hope that makes some sense,

thanks for the input everyone,

Joseph
    Current C5 2004 from Edmunds:
    vert MSRP 50.7k

coupe MSRP 43.7k

z06 MSRP 51.6k

add .8k for destination + tax lic etc., and nobody gets the base car that I've ever seen, so several thousand for options as well.

So, coupe or add 7k to vert and another 1k to Z06. What I've read says the new Coupe C6 will come in around $44.5k MSRP so make similar shift and you should be close to vert and Z06. We'll all find out at the same time. However, you can get up to 8k off MSRP right now for a C5. You can get order list for a new C6 on the internet at MSRP right now. My guess if you wait till the C6 is in the showroom you will be looking at some places charging and getting 5k or even 10k over. So, what is the price, as usual, 'depends'! Have a good time looking.

As to when for the Z06, it will be just guesses until GM announces. I'd guess 2006 MY but may not be until 2007 since the fixed roof coupe with the base engine was sold for one year before the Z06 in the C5.
    Here are some obvious questions I'd like to
    put back on the surface of discussion. Perhaps
    no one knows the answers at this point. But, if
    this is true that no one knows, then that's information to those who don't even know that. (like me :)

Roughly how much will the 2005 Z06 cost?
    Roughly when will the 2005 Z06 come out.

If the Z06 will cost significantly above 60K, it would break alot of people's hearts..or perhaps it would open a door in a way. I say this because, a major draw back of the Z06 has always been to some, that she doesn't come in a convertible. If the 2005 Z06 will cost significantly more than $60K, then it makes the choice easy to those who are torn between performance and leasure (convertible). That choice would be a converitible Z51! which offers the same performance (almost) as the 2004 Z06 but also comes with the option of converitible (I think..at least according to what I've read so far.)

hope that makes some sense,

thanks for the input everyone,

Joseph
  • 2slow4me2slow4me Member Posts: 1
    This is a little off topic so please excuse me, but it has to do with the new Corvette's engine.

I'm thinking about buying a 93 Trans Am (LT1 - 5.7 liters). It just doesn't have enough power for a muscle car of "today" (with bolt on parts the seller has, it's up to about 350 HP) and the gas mileage certainly isn't something to brag about.

The LS2 is supposed to be putting out 400 HP and get 20 MPG in the city. Even though the LS2 is a 6 liter engine, would a swap be possible for more horsepower and better gas mileage? If so, wouldn't the LS7 be even better or is it becoming to much power for the Tran Am's axles?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I'd like to know if an LT1 could be swapped for an LS2 or an LS7, what the expected MPG for the LS7 is, and if any other car has the LS2 or LS7 currently in it (I couldn't really find anything about the LS2 which is why I'm here partly) that it could be salvaged from. Sorry for the inconvenience, thanks.
    Swapping an LS2/LS7 engine for an LT-1 engine could in theory be done. However, there are some significant hurdles that would need to be overcome in regard to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) that runs the LS2/LS7 engine. For starters, no such beast exists for the LT-1. (There is an engine computer; it is just not as sophisticated as what is in place for the LS2/LS7.) If you are looking for horsepower and torque, I would look into some of the tuners that specialize in massaging the LT-1 engine. If you are looking for both power and mileage, then you are looking at getting a new car (Corvette with the LS2/LS7 engine). The most significant difference between the Trans Am and the C6 that affects mileage is weight. The C6 weight number is achieved with materials and construction technology (such as the hydro-formed frame) that are just not available for the Trans Am.
    The other factor is gearing. I have an LT-1 in a 95 Coupe, auto with performance axle. Combined mileage is about 17.5mpg. I also have the 02 Coupe, 6sp and stock rearend. Combined mileage is usually around 22.5mpg but can easily do trips that come home at right around 30mpg. The auto like most 4 speeds has about a 1 to 1 final ratio while the 6sp has .7 in 5th gear and .5 in 6th gear. I'm running only 1400 rpm at 65 mph in the 6sp in 6th gear, and if I want only about 700 rpm, idle, to do 35mph which will read about 34mpg on the display flat and level.
    If any of you have been waiting for the convertible version, along with seeing the C6 in silver, then here's your chance:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/patrick/2.jpg
    http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/patrick/3.jpg
    http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/patrick/c61.jpg

Sexy. I would save them while you can, these probably won't be up for too long.
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    Those are great

Thanks!
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    wow is right! what a beachin car! do you think i've got enough pennies in this jar to make a down payment?
  • phritzphritz Member Posts: 1
    I saw a message recently that read you could order a C6 on the internet and pay MSRP rather than wait for it to show up in the showroom and have to pay over the MSRP.

My questions are:

1) What website do I go to order the C6?

2) Any word if GM employee discounts will be made available on the C6?

Thanks
    There are corvette specific sites and several have what they call supporting dealers. The dealers use the web to move more product than what the local market allows. In the Corvette world this has been important since your allocation is based on how many you sold before. Not all Chevy dealers sell Corvettes.
        The supporting dealers are taking orders at MSRP and some even just under MSRP, $500 to $1500 I've seen. What that gets you is being in line for when they get a factory allocation. (The system could change, always possible, that would really throw the regulars into a tizzy) Since many signed up right after announcement the lists are in some cases long to very long, say up to one year of expected allocations, meaning if they produce in July '04 you could be set to receive a June '05 delivery of the last '04 unit to come off the line. That's if they limit the list to one year of expected allocations. How many '05's will get produced? Who knows?
       I once got the info that the '97 model had a very limited production run, so dealers got nowhere near what they expected, having to fill some 'C5 pre-orders' with '98 model. Since most dealers don't want to take early orders, they just wait for the model to show up so they can find the motivated buyer who will spend $5k or more over MSRP (first on the block syndrome). There will be plenty of cars available to those willing to spend extra $'s.
       For example corvetteforum or corvetteactioncenter, add dot com in both cases have supporting dealers. As with all things, buyer beware.
       I tried to get supplier discount on an '02 Corvette before 911, and it was not available. Decision is up to dealer and any model in demand usually doesn't get it. FWIW
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/previews,view,Chevrolet.spy?a- - rtid=21940

Don't get hung up at the full page banner, just scroll down some.

Then there is initial info on production:

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?StoryId=CqeQSueiente5m0Dn- qw5UB3vUy2vZuhjVz

Have fun!
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200

vs

Seems like we have a winner Guys, The Vette Shines. Inside its obviously better than the Posrche 911

No one has a reason to spend soo much more on a Porsche when, you can get better quality and Better Bang for your Hard earned $$$$ on a home made Speed Devil.

juzef

Buy a Vette, I live in San diego, We will all envy you. As for the Z06, Its worth the wait. Lease an AVEO and wait till the Z06 is out. You will enjoy the difference!
    Just drive a C5 until the pricing drops on the C6 or on the new Z06 version when it comes out. One quote from Dave Hill had the Z06 with 'significantly more power' than the new LS2 at 400/400. My guess is still less than 500 but anything over 470 would be gravy. But as noted, going to the track in a C5 is not a come down, even with a rookie driver it passes most of what goes out, ... even a few Porsche's. ;)

Thanks for the pics, and the nice comparison!
    with starrow68. The C5 is plenty of car. For those wishing to modify the C5, you can get awfully close to C6 output (hp and torque) right now. It is not as if the C6 is a revolutionary improvement over the C5. Yes, an integrated navigational system and OnStar are nice to have; but the fundamental items (such as Magnetic Selective Ride Control and all of the computer controls) are not being changed with the C6. Slight changes in how they are implemented; but not fundamental improvements.
    Corvette Plant News

Manufacturing Validation Build for the new C6 is underway at the Corvette Assembly Plant. The build in the cockpit area started last Thursday. Nine non-saleable Corvettes will be coming off the line, which will be reviewed by the launch team for any part changes. More updates on the C6 Corvette will be coming soon – stay tuned.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Even if the C6 is only a C5 Version 2.0, it's still a hot looking car. I for one will not miss the pop-up headlights. Can't wait to see them on the road...
    Make that another vote for glad to see the popups go the way of vintage good ideas that just didn't last as the world improved. Putting up those 'sails' to block the wind early morning or early evening when you can see how big they really are is painful. If I keep the C5 long enough they will probably be gone at some point.
    If you are interested in an alternative to the pop-ups, try this link:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=4- 55
    Look Soo Cheesy. I would not recomend them. It makes the Vehicle look fake and cheaply modified. Not a good thing
  • low12slow12s Member Posts: 9
    OK - I heard that pricing was available on the 2005 corvette in April. Has anyone seen the prices? Anything available online?

Thanks
    Pricing is not yet available.

From another web source on C6 production and orders:
    "Dealers may begin submitting orders on June 3 and 2005 production will begin on July 19, 2004"

From prior experience I'm guessing that pricing will be available about a month in advance of when they can submit orders.
  • alfalf Member Posts: 2
    Exterior of C6 is excellent! Interior is barely an improvement. What a dissapointment. GTO and Crossfire have better interiors, not to mention Viper. Boom box silver paint on the console, and just in case you didn't know it was a cheap boom box center console, they put real aluminum finish by the instrument pod. What is wrong with GM? Why don't they just cover center console with leather? If Vette costs $100 to $200 more then their sales will collapse?
  • low12slow12s Member Posts: 9
    Abso-stinkin-lutely
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    RE: "Look at a Porsche and show me any trace of leather"

From the current Porsche (USA) web site - available on the 911 Turbo:

Dome Lamp Cover in Leather
     XZD
     $335

Inner Sill Parts/Release in Leather
     XTG
     $585

Leather Package (Large)
     E70
     $2,980

Leather Package (Small)
     E74
     $1,200

Natural Leather Interior
     X99
     $1,510

Rear Center Console in Leather
     XMZ
     $1,260

Roofliner in Leather
     XMA
     $1,410

Seat Control Trim in Leather
     XSD
     $820

Steering Column in Leather
     XNS
     $315

Steering Wheel in Leather
     XPA
     $575

Sunvisors in Leather
     XMP
     $560

Supple Leather
     $395
    2022 X3 M40i
    One of the things that led me to the Vette, short option list. ;)
    Sunvisors in Leather
     XMP
     $560

That's my favorite.
This discussion has been closed.