Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• alfalf Member Posts: 2
    If the interior doesn't matter then why did GM try to improve it. At its price it adds little more for a real interior. The car is now for men not kids. As for the Porsche 911 it has the leather, so your post is absolutely incorrect. And as I stated the Viper and Crossfire have better interiors. In case you didn't know, the Viper is very deffinitely about speed.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    "Viper is very deffinitely about speed"

And about $'s, it should have a nice interior. Those who have liked the C5 will see improvement in the C6, will it be up to Porsche standard, probably not but also won't cost that either. I think I'd be more worried about EVO's beating Vette's on the tracks than how nice the interior might be. I expect I just might be chasing and possibly passing a few at Thunderhill.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Cruised down to Bowling Green on Saturday in my 99 300M to see the new C6 convertible. I am not an owner, but I have been close to pulling the trigger on an 04 coupe. Anyway, I wanted to see the C6 up close because I did not like the publicity pics that much. In person, my opinion is the same--I miss the retracting headlights, don't like the cut of the rear end as much, or the round rather than oval tail lights, and the exhaust tips were really cheesy and cheap looking. Maybe they will change the exhaust tips in the production run, or give options there? The interior looked OK, but I have never been an interior freak anyway. Couldn't get a ride in the new Vette cause there were at least 300 owners/with SO's waiting to do so. I was impressed with all the after market stuff on site for the event that was available for the Vette. Unbelieveable. Best thing I saw was Coach Builders [I think that was their name] had a customized hard top convertible package that folded into the truck space. Didn't leave much room--like 6" behind the driver, but it was smooth as silk and really cool to see it retract and stow. Cost was over $10K for the mod and would probably mandate a luggage rack set-up for trips. Worst thing I saw was a modified Vette with over 1,000 hp rating. It would not crank, and backfired numerous times when they tried to start it. Never did hear it get going. There was even a simple cover for the outside mirrors so they would not get streaked, I guess in washing the car. A steal at $22 a pr. Yow.
    Those of us a few thousand miles away may never get to Bowling Green so it is good to read impressions from someone who doesn't take it all for granted having been there many times. From you take on the C6 and if you like the C5 now is the time to get exactly what you want and the window is closing. Some paint colors will go out of production very quickly and what is on most lots I see are torch red, black, silver and maybe some mag reds. From almost 3 years in a C5 I can say it's not a problem to drive one daily, even with a 6 speed if you are not in true stop and go for many miles. Then again weekends are a blast. Enjoy.
    The Museum is what I call a half day museum. You can enjoy it all in 3-4 hours, more is kinda overkill unless you are a real gear-head, which unfortunately, I am not. I would have liked to get a plant tour [did that in Brampton with the 300M club 2 years ago] to see them made. I think that can be done in normal circumstances. I have been through the Museum before, so I was just down there because I wanted to see the 05's, it was a nice spring day, and I-65 is an easy drive if there are no accidents.
    Yes, I can tell that the color I like [medium spiral gray] is going away as there are few even on the big web site inventories, but I am holding out for 0/60. They have 2.9% now, so I can wait a little while longer. The Magnetic Red, Torch Red and Silver would be next choices, so I am hopeful something will be left when I decide. The one surprising thing to me is that the F-55 [magnetic selective ride] is not on more of the new cars. I know its about a $1,600 option, but smoothing out the ride would seem to me to be a real plus for the non-race crowd. Seems like about 1 out of every 15 are advertised with that option. To me, after 1SB, that is the only deal breaker [other than lower back problems] if it is not available. It was also nice to see the comeraderie of Vette owners at the celebration. It seemed like old home week or a family reunion for many of them.
    Yes the faithful are truly amazing, and the number that have owned many over the years let's us late arrivals wish maybe we had done something sooner, but never saw it as a priority and Vette's weren't on my radar even after a dozen years in an MG. I was a Ford guy, wish the GT40 was affordable ;). However, I did always want to drive a race car and while even a Z51 coupe (performance suspension and oil cooler) isn't close to a race car it can still pass lots of stuff on the track with just a little driver training. :) I get to do more of that this weekend again.
       As to what dealers order, same here in CA with dealer marketing types who don't really learn what people want get down to what I'll term the lowest common denominator, torch red, auto, and try to keep the price down so leave off a few options. That's why those cars are always available and in a way they don't mind, they don't want to sell the last one off the floor, it looks good sitting there. Personally things like mag ride make me wonder how they will fare past warranty and the cost to replace or keep in working order down the road. I like my Z51 ride and the wife thinks it's comfortable, and it does help at the track, which I understand not many are interested in.
       I expect I'll do the Museum some day but that won't be the only reason I get back that way and I too would like to tour the plant which I just might do in conjunction with a Museum pickup on a C6 Z06 in a couple years. :)
    I agree on the longevity issue on tire pressure sensors and magnetic selective ride control. I have heard on the tire pressure sensors on the 300M that they are good for 5 years and then can be expected to cost a pretty penny to replace. My tire dealer also said he saw a Vette that had a flat and damaged the tire sensor resulting in a large repair bill aside from the tire itself. But he told me this quite awhile ago so I can't recall the figures on that. However, I guess we are conditioned to accept the electronic gizmos so much that it becomes a cost of doing business or in this case enjoying a great ride.
    I got a second set of wheels for the Vette for the track without runflats. The guy who set it up said that pressure sensors were no problem to add to the Z06 wheels, just another $500, and I don't think those were new sensors, they may have been used. As to damage, it's standard for the dealer to tell Corvette owners which tire places 'know how to deal with the sensors' so they don't get damaged when fixing flats or replacing tires. The dealer won't touch 'em.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    If your dealer won't touch the tire sensors, you might want to consider an alternative dealer. I had the Z06 wheels and Michelin tires added and the dealer swapped out the tire sensors - no problem at all.
    My need came from a screw in a run flat and they pointed me to the local America's Tire Store, which I use anyway, as their preferred supplier and with techs trained to deal with the tire sensors. In fact that was one of the first questions they asked when I drove in. I've since replaced the OEM runflats with Michelin.
        As it turns out I did have to find a new dealer for service since the local Chevy shop is going to be Honda in a couple weeks but the local expert on Vettes moved over to the other local Chevy shop. Nice thing about BART in the Bay Area, just two stops up the line with a shuttle that's farily quick and only a 10 minute longer ride.
       I still haven't added sensors to the Z06 wheels I got to run at the track and probably won't since I think I'll trailer if I go any distance.
  • low12slow12s Member Posts: 9
    I am torn between ordering a 2004 in the next couple of months (expect prices to fall) and waiting for the 2005 (not knowing what the price will be). I did a little research on the web and put feelers out on 2004 pricing. Got quotes back stating that a 2004 with an MSRP of 49,486 will now be sold for 41,775 (after rebate). I am looking for some feedback - 2004 vs 2005, do you think the 2004 will drop more as we approach june, when's the last time to order a 2004, and of course expected 2005 pricing. Thanks!
    Take a flat 20% of the sticker price for an 04 coupe and that is what Kerbeck on the net [see their site] is selling them for [including the rebate]right now. I don't know if any dealer will go much lower than that, but the financing options might change. Supposedly, 2.9%/60 months is available from GM, but I am hoping for 0/60 which they tried for one month a while back, but apparently it got things going too well, so they discontinued it. The base prices on the 05 should be comparable to the 04, but I think the initial demand will be high, and that will mean paying probably over sticker at first, and difficulty in even getting one for a while.
    Ordered a Mil Yellow 6sp coupe for my wife and I'm getting about $500 under invoice on a car that I ordered exactly what she wants, not what's left on the lot. I think June will be last production which means May is about the last of the order window. I read that MY would not be produced past April but they extended it, there are only a few out there and there are lots of Red, Black and Silver, a few White and Blue. Sticker was $52 and with discount, rebate and GM card I'm in at $41.4. Makes it real clear why the resale on the used ones is so low. This has the price increase for last two years, $2k more options and I'm paying $3.6k less than I did 2.5 years ago.
    Sounds like you got a great deal. You certainly won't get that kind of deal on a C6 for at least three years out. If the C6 is as popular as the C5 was/is, it might be 4 or 5 years before that kind of deal is available.
    Interactive Distance Learning Class (4/29/04).

Here are highlights from the class:

· Keyless access with Push-Button start
    · High-Intensity Discharge Xenon headlamps, Non-Popup for the first time since 1962
    · Air filtration and Pollen filter
    · Power Hatch Pulldown on Coupes
    · Review of the DVD Navigation with GPS
    · Power Folding Convertible Top
    · Pricing Announcement Date: EARLY JULY of 2004, expect price to be competitive without much drift from where it is now. Expect an increase based upon new standard technology.
    · Every baffle, seal, etc. has been redesigned resulting in a MUCH QUIETER car
    · Drag coefficient of less than .29
    · 400 HP, 400 Ft Lbs Torque
    · Fastest Corvette EVER at 186 MPH!
    · Expected production of Coupe and Convertible for the 2005 model year of 32-33000
    · First cars will be produced on July 26. Dealers could begin submitting order requests on April 12
    · Distribution to dealers will be based upon 52 weeks actual sales from May 1, 2003 thru April 30, 2004
    · First allocations will be generated to dealers on June 1, 2004

That second to last item may slow up some of the deals currently available on C5's. Now it's about $'s and not getting initial allocation. I think the allocation is rolling so as they unload old ones they will get additional new ones.

The third to last item about 32k to 33k to be built is down from the 35.7 in '02 and 35.5 in '03. That seems to mean that dealers may not get as many cars as they think and if they took too many orders some may wait more than a year to take delivery or have to pony up extra $'s to get one sooner. That's what marketing folks like to call 'demand'.
    starrow68, it could also be called "supply management".
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    2006 Chevrolet Corvette: High-performance Z06 model returns with a Gen IV 7.0-liter/500-horsepower V-8.
    News: Please provide reference, I'd be interested.

Speculation: I hope you are right!

Read in another forum about a guy in W. Va. that was out with his wife on a Vette ride and came across several C6's, had to stop, started to talk to what turned out to be the C6 design team doing a several day tour. The guy got to drive one with the production manager and should be in Corvette Quarterly in a future issue. Talk about 1 in a million shots.
       One of the unexpected things that he noted from the conversations was a C6 Z06 with a fastback style, instead of the FRC. For Edmunds, you heard it here first, or not, if it proves false ;). We'll all find out in the future!

OK, I'll speculate, and it is pure speculation, slightly modified LS2 with just over 450hp and torque, which will bump to just over 475hp in year two.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The LS7 7.0L 500/500 fire-breather will be the 06 Z06. There is also supposedly a supercharged Blue Devil running around with over 650 HP.
    2004 Coupe Owners - I am leaning towards buying a 6 speed 2004 before new orders run out - please convince me that I am doing the correct thing!

Thank You!
    Current 2002 Coupe Owner, 2004 Coupe on order for the wife, getting $51k msrp for $41.5 after rebate and GM card. Best deal I've seen on C6 is $1k off MSRP and at least for the wife, 350hp vs. 400hp is not going to make much difference. Depends on what you want to do with the car to some degree, only you will convince yourself or in the long run you may be disappointed. Glad in 2001 I didn't wait for the next version and have a fantastic 25k miles behind me, with many of those on race tracks without any worries of red light behind me! Also got me into racing classes as well which although not cheap at least doesn't eat my tires and take a toll on my car. Enjoy what you decide.
       BTW, looking at your sig, I've been to the track 3 time and low of 13.3 stock 6sp with no other driving experience at the drags, ever. The car should do 12.9 if I was any good at launch and shifting. A couple mods, which most performance people do and you are back to the low 12's. I've found road tracks more interesting, 2.03.x around Sears Point in the stock format car is pretty exhilirating!
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    I have a 2003 Z06. Can I give you some reasons why you should buy a 2004 Z06?

You'll probably get a good deal
    The muffler sound when you stand on it
    The smooth, powerful engine
    The comfortable ride
    The amazing hiway gas mileage
    The wonderful brakes
    The good looks
    The accurate handling
    The absence of squeaks and rattles

and don't forget all the smiles from you and others!!
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    It Seems like Chevy is soon going to put Porsche on notice with the new Z06. It will be great to see the comparo's. With Better interiors and awesome perfomance this car should be a must have....
    The C5 can put Porsche on notice right now. With a little massaging the output of the LS1/LS6 engines can be at 460/440 (hp/ft lbs). In a 3,000 lb car, that kind of power to weight ratio will give even a Turbo Carrera fits. If you really want to go extreme, there are tuners such as Lingenfelter that can squeeze 600+ numbers. With the 460/440 effort driveability is the same as stock, only the car is somehow faster (12.2 sec 1/4 mile is easily attainable). 600+ will have driveability issues, but is quicker still.
    http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/corvette3e_20040703.htm

Just one of the articles available. Pretty nice!
    Thanks for the post starrow68. I appreciate the info. I am still in a holding pattern trying to decide between a 04 and 05 (really want to see one in person first). While the prices seem low, by the time you add the options on, the 05 runs in the high 50's (Is it silly to ask if any of the GM incentives would apply here?). If not, I may have to go for the C5 as my budget really tops out in the low $50's. Also have the C5's bottomed out in terms of pricing?

Thanks!
    I think most local dealers will be trying to get premium for some time on the C6. Just my opinion. I just got a 2004 Coupe for my wife at $39.4k out the door, no tax or licence, and it had $6k in options, ended at $11.8k off sticker with no dealer adders beyond the $800 destination standard charge. Inventories of even some of the large national internet dealers are starting to look pretty thin so if you are going with the '04 I'd act pretty quick. I've seen 3 local dealers with nothing in stock. Our last two C5 vettes were ordered exactly as wanted, to me that's worth something since many dealers try to order what they think will sell and then try to move it to somebody that thinks it's close. I don't care for that drill.

I have one, UNSOLD C5.

2004 Corvette Coupe
    Preferred Equipment Pkg 1SB
    6 Speed Manual
    Z51 Performance Handling Package
    High Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels
    Body Side Moldings
    Front License Plate Frame
    12 Disc Remote CD Changer
    Transparent Roof Panel
    Black
    Torch Red Leather

That doesn't happen to be what you are looking for? Personally I don't like Black. I can get you to it if you are interested.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    If you got 23% OFF the price of a new 04' Vette my hats off to you man. The BEST I could do (including the $4K customer GM loyalty rebate) was $40,000 on a $48,645 sticker. Abut 17% off sticker. You're 23% reduction is a major differential. As for there not being to many 04's left? My nearby dealer, the largest Vette dealer in N. Illinois has no less than 19 of these units.
    Interesting article with some analysis:
    http://www.courierjournal.com/business/news2004/07/07/F1-corvette- 07-5829.html
       As discussed elsewhere most will seem to pay higher in the future than for C5 but will get more, while some, 10% in the past, will pay a little less for base no option car.
  • tfb2tfb2 Member Posts: 1
    Just Priced a 2005 Corvette Convertible. Base price around 52,000.00 - add the toys and out-the-door taxes - and you are bumping 70,000.00.

That's not the Corvette I knew. Seems like they are following the BMW's and Mercedes Benz's of the world, when it comes to charging for add-on's.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    From KBB here is what I see:

Base 2005 vette 'vert: $52.2K
    1SB: $3K
    power roof: $2K
    DVD Navi: $1.4K
    Magnaride / F55: $1.7
    Total: $60.3
    There are a couple of other options - wheels?
    But, how are you arriving at $70?
    $9.7K in taxes?
    - Ray
    Missing something here . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • duntov7duntov7 Member Posts: 4
    The $60k to $70k would happen quickly in this country (Canada) when you drive away...(15% Sales taxes....ouch).

And, our MSRP is often 30% plus on the U.S. sticker prices to start with, to make the exercise even more painful. I have a Z06, and have a C6 targa on order.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I've owned a 68, 74, 85, 93, and a 2004. Pretty much have a good feel for vettes. Each generation was a vast change and improvement over the previous. Not so with the c6. The c6 isn't a ground breaking car like the 84/85 over the 81/82 model. It's more of a refinement of an already good thing like the difference between an 84 to a 94. The 50 HP is a good thing...just like the old LT-1 in 92, but it's not earth-shattering or even revolutionary...just cubes and ponies. The style is subjective... just a tweaked c5 IMHO. The interior and option list changes are neat and well over due, but should have been introduced about 4 years ago. The c6 will be neat, but hardly groundbreaking like when the c5 hit the streets. Any other's feel this way? Can you tell I just bought an 04?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Honestly, speaking as someone who's never owned a Corvette, the C6 doesn't even look all that different from a C5. It's like the NSX from 1991 vs. the NSX today - the wheels and headlamps are different but the rest pretty much looks the same.

That's not a bad thing. I certainly don't think C5 owners should have anything to feel badly about.

That said, the interior looks great.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    If you don't mind, please tell we potential 04' Vette buyers,like myself, what model you bought, the sticker price, and actual purchase price. For I've read some far reaching variances here on Edmunds as well as other boards about what people quoted they paid (which a lot of I think is pure B.S.)for a new 04' Vette. THANKS MUCH.
    Depends on how you go about it. For a fact, late production C5 produced in late June, within 4 weeks of plant change over, got 6.8k off MSRP from the dealer, 4k off from GM incentives in place in July, and 1k off for GM card which anyone can do if they want. That's $11.8k with $51.2 sticker including $800 destination charge down to $39.4k for the car out the door. I don't include sales tax since it will get paid when I licence locally which I didn't do where I picked it up. Now, that was a car built to order, not what was wasting on the lot.
       At that savings, pretty hard to see the value in a C6 at MSRP that internet dealers are offering and the gross premiums that will be on showroom floor for walk in's. I will go look, even after I go see a half dozen C6's that are supposed to be at the ALMS race in Sonoma this weekend. Should be a good Corvette weekend!
    As I mentioned in my post, I've never bought a Vette.
    Well, I saw a new Vette on the road today. Are they out yet, or was this another local GM exec getting an early freebie?

It was a silver convertible in daylight, black top, top up. Some impressions,

- The HIDs were on and they were BRIGHT. Given how piercing they were in daylight, they must be great to be behind at night.

- the rear and side profile are, as I expected, not particularly different from the C5. The LED taillamps do look different through--bright but a weird almost starburst-like pattern, like the Lexus RX SUVs.

- it was behind me for quite a stretch, and from the front there's definitely a different look. Those flush headlamps shine light very low to the ground--until it got closer and I could make out the Vette logo on the front, the car sure seemed to have the low/wide proportions of the average Italian supercar. Very nice.

- I thought the wheels were ugly. They looked to be at least 18"ers.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    just west of the Downtown on Halsted Street in Chicago. I do not know who owns or what goes on there, but from time to time I have seen Ferraris, Lambos, Austins and other exotics out front.

The other day when I went by, there was yellow C6 coupe. From the distance, the rear looked like the C5. As I got closer, I could tell from the tail lights and general shape that it was a C6. I could not slow down all that much as I was passing.

The C6 does seem smaller - a good thing for me. The body detail also appeared more thought out. It did not seem at all out of place parked at a spot where I had previously seen an Austin.

I did not see the wheels long enough to comment on them.

It occurs to me the building may do aftermarket work for well-heeled clients. If so, GM is either allowing its wealthier customers a head start with their customizing, or an exec wanted more than GM can do and still sell the Vette at a profit.
    Thanks for the info. The wheels on the C5 were 17/18 and they are 18/19 on the new C6, can't say when changing out the rears 295/18's for the track currently that I'm going to look forward to bigger beef. Brighter lighting is a big plus from my POV. Thanks!
    I've seen another one now, all the way up in Auburn Hills, and it too had some incredibly bright HIDs. Looks like a nice car. Dare I say it, the front profile looks VERY 2002+ Acura NSX.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I feel totally gratified that all the whining I did about the C5's shifter and heavyweight feel ("like dancin' with a partner of ample proportion") were being addressed in the C6...that's two more notches forward toward "world class". You know, take that C6 to a spa to shave off that bigger than life butt, and knock back the road noise a bit, and I just might turn into a believer that the Corvette has arrived in the Big Leagues of supercars.

I've never driven a C5 fast enough to complain about the steering so I don't know what that's about...this "feedback issue". I'm really not trained for 186 mph so I guess I don't have to worry.
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    According to Dave Hill, the C6 team had 100 specific areas for improvement based on C5 customer feedback, the shifter was one. Another was road/tire noise which he claimed was much improved also, so the AutoWeek review is a bit of a surprise on that subject. Obviously, interior fit, finish and quality was another specific area for improvement. I guess BIG BUTT did not make the list.
    http://www.globemegawheels.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20- 040729/WHCORVETTE29/cars/

Note that it's Canadaian currency.

I guess I don't have enough to compare with my C5 shifter since I find it ok. Before I drove the formula cars at Sears Point I thought it was good. To tell the truth I think the clutch is more of an issue, very easy to drive but doesn't give any feel being robust, so to speak. Going to enjoy getting a few test drives at some point!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The C5 shifter wasn't "bad". I think the point Autoweek was trying to make, and which I agree with, is that the shifter felt "American" as in "oh, yeah, I'm in an American car". In other words, if a Miata can do it, why can't a Corvette?

As for the big butt, the re-design is a better big butt at any rate, and relative to a 350Z, downright attractive.

I'm not a big fan of Kammbacks or any hint of them. Inborn prejudice I guess.

I also like that the C6 looks "scaled down". It needed that keener sense of proportion and I think that's been achieved.
    http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=45198

http://www.ai-online.com/industry_detail.asp?id=515

And then if you want details:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=6373
    I've seen several more on the road in the past day. They're cropping up everywhere in the Detroit area, and nearly every one I've seen is a nice, neutral, non-descript silver.

I love the flush headlamps - the front end look is far more modern, and downright exotic.
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Boy, the designers sure like NSX don't they?
This discussion has been closed.