Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I haven't seen the specifications for the new C6, but the Corvette actually competes on a weight (more directly LACK thereof) dimension. The problem as I see it is it is a bit like selling safety, not easily graphic or sound bite able. "LESS IS BETTER ! But I would submit to you that folks probably would not be too keen on paying more for less: unlike Porsche owners! :(:)

The easiest way to say it graphically is 10 hp for every 100#'s is needed to B/E or compensate when it comes to power to weight ratio and also this equates to 1-3 mpg. Most folks would know this but.... So most Euro competitors are easily 400-600#s more than the Corvette (my Z06 is 3150#s, 405 hp/torque, for discussion sake) The Porsche GT (mega bucks more) is app 2970#'s.

For example in X country crusing, the Z06 at 90-100 mph has a cruising range of app 450 miles. How many other of its competitors can match that? It can also get app 26 mpg with the AC at freezing (ok, 65 dgrees with the ambient temp at 104) Want more range and better mpg? Go 70-80 mph and you are pushing 30-32 mpg. for 540-576 miles.

So for example when I was doing the reseach (on price only) the BMW M-3 came on the radar. It weighs 3400#'s. So from a performance point of view; what mods at what cost, to get what hp, do I have to do to match the Z06 performance? Or to approach it the other way, what weight does the BMW M-3 need to be, to match the P/W ratio of the Corvette?

Suffice it to say all the options (or most) have some weight penalty.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    From the production stats:

MN6 Auto

2001 16.0 vs. 19.6 = 35.6 45%

2002 16.9 vs. 18.9 = 35.8 47%

2003 17.3 vs. 18.2 = 35.5 49%

2004 12.6 vs. 21.5 = 34.1 37%

The Z06 makes up a big portion of the manuals, about 50% in 02/03 and but less than that in 01/04. But, as noted, history helps prediction on a level playing field, and what we have is a sea change to manual standard vs. extra cost option. With no Z06 in 2005 I doubt it will exceed 50% but it will be interesting to see the results in both '05 and '06. Going back further you would probably see more years that are not as close to 50%.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I really don't see the point of a 6-speed fully manual trans in a car with that much torque and being driven in the USA. It seems a waste to me. I have a high torque V8 with 5 speed (Porsche) and I don't even use 2nd gear most of the time, or 4th for that matter, unless I'm really on the back roads. Yet another gear, I reallly don't know what I'd do with it.
    While I have driven in Canada, the majority of the mileage on the Corvette has been in the USA. In very many ways the Corvette is almost tailor made FOR the USA. On some other web sites, it is of interest to hear of folks with Z06's living in Europe and using the autobahn. :)
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    As a previous Vette owner I believe that there is a significant advantage to not buying the first year of any GM product. As first year Vettes have had significant problems. I am old enough to remember the 1968 and 1984 models.

GM will surely address some of the refinement issues that we have discussed and make changes for 06 and 07. For those who want to be the first kid on the block I understand but I will wait.

In 06 I would look for GM to make side airbags standard and make many other small improvements, work out the bugs, etc.

At the same time we will probably be able to purchase the Vette below MSRP.

Please GM get rid of the truck steering wheel in the base Vette and replace it with the ZO6 or similar steering wheel.
    I'm in no position to compare to high end autos in Eurorides but having 1st to 4th on the track is what the Dr. ordered. Then again, taking a trip and putting it in 6th and if the CHP is around, knowing that you are relaxed getting almost 30mpg is not a bad approach. I usually get back from 100 mile jaunts and show about 27mpg on the computer. It gets low 20's around town the way I drive but my wife who doesn't hot rod at all in hers gets only about 18mpg, doesn't get to upper gears as early or as often. YMMV
    This is probably old news to someone like starrow 68, but the Z06 model has 10 % lower gears in 1-4 with 5/6 a sort of double overdrive.
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    The 6 speed in the Corvette is one of the big reasons the cars get such good highway gas mileage. That fact is a performance plus. I was totally surprised when Ford didn't put a 6 speed manual in the new Mustang. After driving a 6 speed Firebird for 10 years, I don't think I would buy another car without a 6 speed manual.
    Having driven mostly non-performance cars in my life I don't expect the instant availability of power. Putting the Corvette in 6th, even at freeway crusing speeds doesn't give you much umph, to say the least. It needs to be above 2k rpm and really 3k to really scream. It doesn't get to 1500 rpm until just about 70mph in the coupe so at crowded freeway crusing you can be 1100 to 1300 rpm easily and any quick moves require a downshift. That is no issue for me today after almost 2 years driving road courses but in the beginning, knowing what gear to pick was an issue and doing it smoothly was at that point a joke. Practice makes perfect, or at least improves the process. Drop into 3rd at 70 and hammer it and you get an E ticket ride.

Randy
    Yes, I had the same experience. (except for numerous road course driving schools)

Using 6 gear at 70 mph, can be almost a sleepy experience. Do a double (de) clutch from 6th gear to 3rd and the thing can almost be described as a BEAST.
  • vacastanvacastan Member Posts: 1
  • chip4chip4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Corvette and I am contemplating whether to buy a 2005 or wait for a 2006. Does anyone have any good or bad stories about owning a 2005 C6 ?

Should I not buy a first year new model car ? Corvette history says don't buy the first new model year
    I got the 2002 coupe and after having it I'm glad I got it when I did even when we got a 2004 for my wife that was $6k less due to late model year discounts. I wouldn't trade the fun I had for the savings.
    Then again the C6 has had some issues, 6sp tranny, and I'm not sure what else and as you suspect that is always true. But, is there an unknown at this point, hard to guess, they are getting better at getting it mostly right out of the box. Those I talk with are really happy with the C6, at least as happy as the C5 crowd.
    The good news and the bad news is they are on a constant improvement program.

I have the First C5 Z06 (2001). One noticeable one is it came with 385 HP/torque due partly to the fact they did not perfect the catalytic converter soon enough to bring to market, so they had to go to catalytic pups. When they were able to bring the perfected system to market in 2002, they dropped the pups. It added 5 hp and they scrubbed real hard to enhance internal breathing modifications; shaking loose another 10 hp, for 405 hp/torque. Another year revealed the clutch did not have enough safety factor. So another improvement a year later was a slightly bigger and thicker clutch.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I have been following the C6 quality concerns/reports pretty closely. I think the initial assembly bugs have been resolved now. I think about 16K cars have been built at this point.

There will be probably be a few changes/improvements for 06 but they won't start building them until September. I want to get one for spring/summer and before the wife changes her mind; so I ordered one yesterday. I spent quite a bit of time examining a C6 they had on the lot. The car looks pretty good to me. It isn't prefect but I found the assembly detail to be really good. I also drove the same car and it didn't have squeaks, rattles, or abnormal wind noise. The torque and HP are really impressive. It is also amazingly docile for around town driving.
    It is surprising how nice they handle and how subtle the power is when you want that. I think that was a major factor when the wife decided she wanted one too. After driving mine and finding that it wasn't some monster all the time she felt she could handle the car in normal driving. Then if you use it, the 6 speed gives you great mileage as well, pretty nice combination. Glad to see another join the fun, do yourself a favor and look up the local Corvette Club. Don't forget to wave.
    Randy
    Thanks, I am going to lookup the local Corvette Club. I have been a member of a roadracing club for 12 years and have met a lot Corvette owners at the driving schools we put on.

Now I have to wait for the darn thing to get built and make the trip to the west coast. Hopefully I will have it towards the end of April.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    G.M. has a special program called GM-S where members of specific organizations (certain employers, G.M. suppliers) can purchase new cars at prices that are substantially less than M.S.R.P. In the case of a new Corvette, the price ends up being less than $1000 over invoice.

If anyone here has used the GM-S program, I have a few questions for you. Thanks in advance.

- Mike
    Hello,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to sell my 2003 Audi A6 4.2 in order to buy a new C6 Corvette. The Audi is a great car that does what it's intended to do very well. It's luxurious, powerful (300 h.p. V8), beautifully built, and extremely satisfying to drive. The only "problem" is that it's not a sports car (and it doesn't try to be one).

I'm giving serious consideration to selling the A6 and ordering a C6 coupe - 6-speed, Z51, Nav, and XM. I'd really enjoy hearing from anyone who has feedback on some of the things that concern me:

1. Can I expect squeaks and rattles? I know that past generation Corvettes have been notorious in this area. What about the C6?

2. How's the freeway ride on Z51 cars? Too harsh? Anyone here drive more than one suspension version (standard, Z51, F55) before deciding which to get?

3. Is it true that cars equipped with the navigation system get only a single-disc CD player?

4. Can the navigation system be programmed while the car is in motion?

5. Does anyone make a better-looking (metal?) trim plate for the center stack / console? (I know about the body-colored ones available through the Chevy parts department; is there anything of higher quality through the after-market?

6. After living with the car for awhile, what DON'T you like about it?

Thanks in advance.

- Mike
  • vmrchitectvmrchitect Member Posts: 3
    The design of the C6 is clearly based on the Ferrari. The clean lines with large rear tail lights accented by the new exposed cat eye headlights. The 400 HP will keep up and even beat most all European based "higher cost" exotics. The sleek design combined with high tech interior components including comfort make this car a tour de force and a price/performance you will not beat.
  • vmrchitectvmrchitect Member Posts: 3
    Here are the responses for you as I have a new C6:
    1. Yes, previous Vettes did rattle. This was my number one criteria: The C6 is first Vette that does not rattle, and is tight.

2. I thought the Z51 was too harsh. I went with the F55 and it is perfect as you have tour/sport modes.

3. Yes it is true. I purchased XM radio-forget CDs. I was originally against XM- Not now.

4. I am not sure of this. But do get the Nav, it is wonderful and looks better and high tech.

5. Not yet. However, I purchased the slick silver and the center console compliments the exterior. It is the only Vette color that does this. No after market junk yet..

6. Good question: Minor stuff, ie: no auto power window up and if you are taller then 6'- 2" head room will be tight but thats it..you will love this car.
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    My 04 C5 does not rattle...
    I have read reports where XM has less frequency response than FM. So FM sounds better. CIRUS is supposed to be better than XM. GM did a deal with XM so you have to go aftermarket if you want Cirus. CDs and MP3s will still be your choice to hear the sound of real music.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I think SIRIUS is much better and if I do end up with a vette or CTS-V, I will surely get an aftermarket system so I can get my Sirius. I have it at home and it's great!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    but I DO know that it sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH Better than FM. GM has a deal with XM because they are PART OWNERS of XM. :)

XM or Sirius... you will be happy either way. I have XM in 3 vehicles and love each version:
    1 factory installed in a GM
    1 Alpine aftermarket install on a Jeep Wrangler
    1 FM modulated installation in a BMW - looks factory

The BMW has the 'worst' sound of them all because of the modulation. It is not on par with a CD, but leaps and bounds above the XM. The Alpine and factory install both sound great.

There is a Satellite radio forum here on Edmunds...

-Paul
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    My 04 C5 does not rattle,squeek, etc. at all. I've got over 5K miles on her now, and she is nice and tight. And airtight enough that you have to crack a door to close the hatch easily, otherwise it takes some effort.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    1. I was under the assumption that Bluetooth was available on the new C6 but I can't find any information about this on the chevy's site.

2. How many of you are living with a vette as your daily driver? Pros/cons?

3. What are service costs like, does the dealer give you a loaner vehicle?

I'm now in CA and my commute to my office is less than 5 miles, plus I'm single with no kids/pets so snow/space etc isn't an issue.

I just drove the C6 at the autoshow in motion in San Fran and I think I'm in love.
    I have a 2002 Coupe daily driver after trying to keep it for events by driving a 1995 Corvette for a year to keep miles off. The 2002 is so much nicer my wife got an '04 Coupe for a partly/daily, she commutes in it about 3 days a week. I didn't want the '95 to sit out so I sold it since it was in nice shape only 28k miles after 9 years. My '02 does daily to the train station and then every few weeks goes to the track to run about 100+ miles at speed. Fantastic ride, but the several I've talked to who have C6's say it's a step up again.
    Biggest problem I'd see is that you won't warm up the engine oil in a short 5 mile commute. I do 1 mile to the freeway, about 5 miles on freeway and then into BART station and the oil is only up to 150/160 degrees, so I'm sure to get at least 15+ miles at least once a week, mid-week and keep the oil changed as well. The problems that the C5 had, rocking seat, some column lock, and oil usage have not been issues for me beyond the seat. Not sure what the C6 feedback is since I don't expect to get one for about a year +. Enjoy!
    Randy
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.
  • hjoneshjones Member Posts: 1
    GM does not offer incentives like you are mentioning for the corvette(2005). I get the "A" plan and did not qualify. If you shop around you can get $2,000-3,000 of MSRP. Kerbeck in Atlantic city will give 2500 off, and I bought my at Maxie Price Chevrolet (Loganville) outside of Atlanta last week for 2k off MSRP and drove home to Florida.
    The big discounts went with the end of the '04 model year, which is why I got the wife an end of C5 model. The extra HP wasn't going to make any difference to her, or me for that matter if it's just a weekend and touring car. And as of now I'm finding that keeping a C5 on the track is plenty expensive with just 17/18's and brakes.
    Not sure your ref, to the "A" plan, but I know that getting either GM employee or supplier pricing on C6 Vettes is really hard to do. The $2-3k off seems consistent with what I hear if people do the work, while there are many local dealers still asking for many K over MSRP, I don't get why people pay that. Enjoy the Vette, don't forget to wave and glad to see another smile out there. Did you go through the Forum, Action Center or other web source? Seems like Maxie Price is in the top 5 nationally for deliveries so they work to make a good deal.
    I will probably wait for supplier pricing but I know why it isn't available at this point. The dealer ends up with about $500-600 at the end of the deal and that's about 6k off. Nobody needs to go that low at this point and it is a business, the discounts are as much about moving inventory as doing a favor for a loyal customer.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A Chevrolet Corvette: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion has been created. Hopefully more people can join in on the discussion about buying and different purchasing plans on the car.
    After a lot of thought and wavering back and forth, I've decided to sell the Audi A6 4.2 and get a new Corvette. What pushed me over the edge was an experience I had last night. I stopped at the local dealer on the way home from work; they were closed and no one was around but their only C6 (black/ebony) was outside and unlocked. I opened the door and got in, just sitting there and enjoying how good the car felt. I turned on the lights and admired how nice everything looked. (Believe it or not, one of my biggest reservations about giving up the Audi has been giving up its stunning interior.) The Corvette's interior isn't as upscale as the Audi's (nor is it meant to be), but it's plenty nice and I can certainly live with it.

Now the only questions are exterior color and transmission choices. The color nominees are LeMans Blue, Victory Red, and Monterey Red. (The interior will be Ebony). While I think the 6-speed manual would be a lot of fun, I worry that in Bay Area traffic it would quickly become a nuisance. If I go with the automatic, I'll order a 2006 as its automatic will be a 6-speed as opposed to the '05's 4-speed.

I also have to decide whether it will have Z51 or F55. My only concern with the Z51 is whether or not it produces a ride that's excessively harsh. Can anyone here share their experiences with either set-up? Thanks very much.

- Mike
  • joe6pack2joe6pack2 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone suggest to me, options that a new Corvette owner might want. For instance, Z-51 package, or the magnetic control?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Just one opinion but I think the suspension and tranny are linked. I went with a 6sp since I don't do a lot of commute traffic and therefore I got the performance suspension, Z51 with the manual. I just think when I get around to selling that the combination works better together. As it turns out that was the best combination for going to road courses and I do it regularly, any one want to watch at the NASA event this weekend at Sears Point, I'll be running on Saturday?
    For the Automatic, only a 4sp currently, I'm betting that getting the electronic magnetic shock suspension would be the best match for a touring car and probably not even bad for the drags once in awhile. That would not be a car to get out on the road course, I'm guessing, although I've seen several auto's do track days in the past. Pretty hard to match revs on down shifts in an auto.
    As to the Z51 we have it on both our Vette's and the wife loves rowing the gears as much as I do. We have been on trips up to 1400 miles and find the ride to be very comfortable with no undue tiring when doing a long day either driving or being a passenger. I know one couple with a Z06 and a stock suspension coupe and they try not to take the Z06 on long trips having done it once. FWIW
    Randy
  • joe6pack2joe6pack2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information starrow, now I have to decided if I go manual or automatic.
  • swenson1swenson1 Member Posts: 2
    Mike,

I've had the six speed and drive it every day as a business car. I am now getting a 05 with automatic because as you say the stop and go traffic is a nuisance and I never thought I would say that. You mentioned the color "Monterey Red" which is actually "Magnetic Red" and the original color I had and the same as my new one. Maybe you haven't heard but this color and the yellow have been dis-continued by GM. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • swenson1swenson1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been told that the 2005 colors of Magnetic Red and Yellow have been discontinued. Anyone know why and is there new colors coming out???
    Thanks for your input. Regarding the colors, you are correct that Magnetic Red has been discontinued, as has Millenium Yellow. No further orders are being accepted for either and production of both will conclude shortly. Beginning May 19th, however, their 2006 replacement colors (Monterey Red and Velocity Yellow) can be ordered on 2005 models, which will be produced through September 8th. I don't know why Magnetic Red and Millenium Yellow were dropped; perhaps demand exceeded supply. Nonetheless, there will be a few 2005s painted in 2006 colors. I've seen samples of both new colors. Monterey Red is darker than Magnetic and lighter than Anniversary Red (as seen on '93 40th Anniversary cars). I'm hard-pressed to see any difference between the two yellows.
    I think they change colors just to keep things interesting. Best of luck in your color selection!

If I were to get a red, the Magnetic Red would rate serious consideration over the "Corvette " RED! It is truly an eye catching color without hitting you between the eyes with a 2x4. :) I don't think I would like the extra janitorial duties however.:)

I got a Speedway White Z06 . In terms of numbers, they did not sell very well (1/352/5773). But since I do a lot of long distance driving in the deserts, it suits me fine.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Swenson1-If you go to CorvetteConti's site he has paint swatches of the various reds and yellows. My eyes aren't all that good on the reds but I can see a difference on the yellows.
  • duntov7duntov7 Member Posts: 4
    Mike......

You'll love the C6. I traded my Z06 on a 2005 silver/cobalt red coupe, and it has many, many improvements/enhancements/differences from the C5. The power "feel" of the C6 is similar to the Z06, in my opinion. I drove the Z06 4 years, and a '98 targa for 3-years, so I know the cars pretty well. I also had a '67 big-block L36 Sting Ray rag...side pipes....wow.

Regarding the Bay-area, I drove the Z06 3,000 miles, along with 25 other Vettes, to venture UP to the top of San Francisco (like BULLITT backwards), to drive en masse down the gorgeous Lombard Street 'corkscrew'....police escort and all...we were an NCRS group enroute to Monterey).

I chose the Automatic this time for the C6, as it performs very well....can downshift for hills etc if you so desire. I have the F55; it is a versatile and solid suspension. Color choices is VERY personal....go for it. The C6 interior is very well appointed, and is as good as it needs to be, and the improved HUD is tremendous. I may go for Corsa Sports, though.

ENJOY.....

- Mac
  • nikbornikbor Member Posts: 1
    We're thinking of buying a Corvette. Not thinking, we ARE going to buy one. Our question is - should we go with an '04 or '05? We're not sure what current Corvette owners think of the fixed, exposed headlights on the '05. Do you all think that GM did a good thing or a bad thing when they changed the headlights? Do you love it or hate it? We're thinking of the resale value later down the road. We don't know if people out there are not going to want any body style that has the exposed headlights or if that's going to be what sells the car. All opinions and any advice that anybody has to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I think the styling of the C6 has attracted a wider audience that in the past. The last Vette that ever really had my attention was the 63-67 Sting Ray. Since then I really haven't been a fan. I was all set to buy another Lexus or BMW Sports Sedan until the C6 caught my eye. I really like the exposed head lights, the more rounded shape, the updated interior. After I drove the car I knew I wanted one.

So I now have a silver one sitting in my garage and just spent most of the day driving it. This is the first GM car I have owned in 25 years and my first muscle car. Calling it a muscle car really doesn't do it justice. It is a pretty refined and comfortable sports car that happens to have a heck of lot of horse power, braking power, and corning power. It is always fun to drive and surprisingly comfortable for long distance runs.
    We have two C5's at home and love them both but they are now a generation behind. As to the pop up headlights, just one man's opinion, but they have always been a pain, look lousy when up, create aero drag and they went from high tech to low tech about 20 years ago, most old time Vette drivers never figured it out. Anybody stressed about the open lights is looking for excuses to justify what they have already. The added performance of the C6 over the base C5 is worth some extra $ and if you take a few driving classes you probably will appreciate it more. On the other hand, the low mileage C5's can be a very good deal and the car is a great daily driver as well as a super touring car. It really is too big to be considered a real sports car but it is capable on track, which I do a lot. Which ever way someone goes, they will probably be happy.
    Randy
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    If I were you I'd go with a C5 (2004). Read other forums and you will see a lot of people who bought the new C6's are having a lot of problems with them. (first year production I would guess)
    While the lights on the C6 are better, I like the look of the pop-ups. IMHO I feel the C5 was the best looking Corvette ever produced by GM. The final choice is yours. Remember a new C6 stickers at $53,000 for the coupe and $61,000 for the vert. You can buy a nicely equiped C5 for a heck of a lot cheapier price than a new C6.
    But whatever you decide just remember a Vette is a Vette. Hope is helps and don't forget to wave.
  • thegreatozthegreatoz Member Posts: 39
    manual or automatic

Don't forget, the 2006 Corvette automatic will be 6-speed.

Sweeeet! ;)
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Yeah with paddle shift too!
This discussion has been closed.