Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying and Selling Vehicles Online (eBay, etc.)

1235»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    The 4-door GTI is one of my favorite cars! :)

Flying across the country to get one seems like overkill, though... They aren't exactly rare, are they?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    No, both were about 500 miles away and we drove.

You're talking about flying just to take a look? Wow, can't imagine doing so on something that would just be a driver. Hmmm....probably would if looking at a collector car that was represented as premium with a price to match.

As for drivers, the only way I'd even think about long distance would be for a rare condition, option package, or color combination. Otherwise, I keep within 100 or so miles of home - easy to do here in Columbus.

The first car (for my daughter) was an extremely low mileage example in the precise color/equipment combination that she demanded. Yes, demanded, as was her right since she'd carried a torch for it since the age of 9!

The second was just a fluke as I needed a car in a hurry.
  • b18tunerb18tuner Member Posts: 1
    Concerning buying an out of state or area vehicle, does anyone has any knowledge of a reliable warranty company, for used cars?

I came across an 06 Audi A-4 S-line 6M, loaded with the every available option for a pretty decent price. As it sits, it's at about 51,xxx miles, which is just out of warranty, if I'm correct.

I have never purchased a used car from an individual before, so I have a few concerns about the reliability and such. Buying at a dealership would offer some sort of relief, in the event something serious happens shortly after the purchase. I have spoken with the owner and he seems fairly honest and mature. The car looks immaculate, and I do plan to do a quick mechanics check before I buy. But with the knowledge of it being a VW product, I know that there is the possibility for problems later on down the line (nothing against any VW / Audi, but this is a known fact). The seller recommended one company in particular, but a quick google search revealed that there were numerous issues with this company, mainly in the Great Lakes and PA area.

This company is called Great Lakes Warranty. The coverage they provide looks good on paper, but I read that the process of getting an APPROVED claim was the hard part. If anyone else has any experience with them, please chime in..

The next company I came across was Warranty Direct , their coverage read very good, but in my opinion, the rates were kinda pricey, even compared to Great Lakes Warranty coverage. I mean, I was looking at a little over $4000 for all major componets covered, and that was only for 3yr or 37000 miles with about $150 deductable. Maybe this is the norm, so if i'm bugging over that, then give me some feedback.

Again, if anyone has any additional info , please chime in, as it would be greatly appreciated. And as always, thanks for the space..
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You could try posting over in the Extended Warranties forum but you won't get any recommendation for a 3rd party warranty.

Extended Warranties
  • cpr3cpr3 Member Posts: 16
    Hi there -
    Am hoping that someone has had some experience with purchasing a car online ( through a small time dealer across the country.) How does the process work in terms of exchanging $$$ and the title? The car will be shipped cross-country and is being held w/ a deposit.

Is the standard practice to pay for the vehicle in-full before receiving the title (???) Or is it reasonable to request that the seller overnight you the title ( while they still have the vehicle.) When you receive the title you wire the remaining $ and the seller releases the car to the shipper?

Any advice is much appreciated!
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Good luck with getting the title before the dealer receives all the money. No, that is not reasonable.

Wire them the money or send them a cashier's check. Once your money shows in their account, then they will send the title out to you.

If the vehicle is not delivered to you in the shape that is guaranteed through your contract, then that contract is null and void.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Hi, I think buying on Ebay is really amazing if u do a little research.
    I purchased a 06 Honda Pilot and an 06 loaded Lexus GX SUV for amazing prices.Both were located in Florida.And those are kind of costly cars to be buying unseen.
    And they were shipped without me even seeing the cars.. :P

That was the best buying experience I ever had.the cars were in superb condition and I was very satisfied.
    Of course ,I did my research,,which is very very important--Check the carfax first,,see the seller feedback and reviews--very important,,better if they are powersellers with a sellers guarantee,,and ask the seller questions.

For anyone buying online unseen for the 1st time,,it may seem like a leap of faith but do your research and u can get a great deal.
    Also if possible,,buy cars which are not from the snow areas as they can have a lot of rust...U can also check Carfax on this.

But really,,,Ebay is a great way to buy cars.If I can buy a high end Lexus unseen then u can buy any good car unseen by doing your research!!
    Just MHO!! :shades:
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798

Also if possible,,buy cars which are not from the snow areas as they can have a lot of rust...

And cars from the south are usually flood damaged pig, that had lipstick put on it.

So, the point is....???
  • dozierdozier Member Posts: 1
    Cool
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    Many of you may be too young to have heard that phrase, but what it means is basically buying something sight-unseen. It's a risky proposition, at best. There are too many horror stories out there to enter blindly into a contract with someone. The best thing to do is - as a previous poster said - do your homework. Know what you're looking for and what you want to pay. If you can find a car locally that you can go see, and if you can actually talk to the seller face to face, you have a better chance of getting what you bargained for. We have been very fortunate to come out winners in three different online vehicle purchases from out of state - but it still scares me. I feel like we're playing the odds. This next purchase is going to be local. I don't want to take any more chances (that is if I can hold my husband back. He's an online buyer MANIAC!)
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Your post begs the question........ Did he find you online? ;)
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    HA - good one, Euphonium! Mail Order Bride I was NOT. Probably why we're still together after more than 30 years! Wish my cars lasted that long...
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Kind of a blanket statement, esp since most people get screwed locally anyway.
    If you are buying a car from a reputable dealer out of state you should be fine.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If I put a car up for sale on ebay -- it sells-- I get the paypal deposit - then what is the best way to get the rest of the money? Has anyone sold a car that way? -- dealers or fsbo's please comment.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    When I sold my Corvette cash was not an option. I parked the car in the buyers driveway with his cash deposit in my pocket and off we went to his bank since he was financing. They we're very good about putting a lien on the title and handling all paperwork plus giving me a cashiers check. Afterward we went back to his place and removed my plates. He completed the transfer at DMV with bank papers in hand.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Well, the BEST way is cash. Other ways would be personal check or cashier's check. In either of those cases, however, I would not sign anything over until it cleared.

I've sold 3 vehicles through Ebay. All were cash deals. In 1 instance, buyer brought cash to my house and took vehicle away on trailer. Another time, I followed buyer to the bank and he withdrew cash and handed over. And in the other instance, I met the buyer at the train station with the car because he came from out of state. He brought cash, we did the deal in the parking lot, and he drove home from there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Well, you get the rest of the money thru Paypal.
    Otherwise a cashiers check is fine.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    You register today and post this spammy stuff. You also posted in the buying tips thread. Do not promote your company. Edmunds has a no solicitation policy. :shades:

I guess the mods have some cleaning to do !! ;) And dude, rest assured everyone is going to run away from AiM mobile inspections.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I just replied to this guy over in Lemon Law section.

He posted a reply naming this company over there. I thought he was a happy car buyer.

But now I see, with these multi posts, he's just selling something.
  • carpedrewumcarpedrewum Member Posts: 17
    In SA I used a site to buy a new car for my cousin. When I bought my second hand car I had a really laborious experience. So my decision to go online was to save time, although I do enjoy the trips to dealers and following up a good lead/referral but not this time. Anyway in 3 hours we did manage to rack up a good list. Primary reason was that I could search specifically by typing stuff like .
    A long story short, it was easier. The only bad thing is sifting through dealer listings so that you can find actual independent sellers, but once you do, you can do some serious negotiating with the independents as they are pretty eager to sell.
  • ebaybentleyebaybentley Member Posts: 1
    I know there have been other notable stories (notably a Nissan GTR) about this but not like this one!

On October 25, 2011 I was perusing Ebay auctions and ran across an auction for a used 2008 Bentley convertible from Bentley of Scottsdale, AZ (Bentley of Scottsdale is owned by Penske Automotive Group: PAG: 2010 sales of $10 Billion USD). The auction had no reserve and a bid price of just under $14,000. After reading the auction several times I successfully bought the car. Or I thought I did. Over the next 24 hours it became increasing clear to me that the dealership had no intention of honoring the auction and in fact told Me that I was no longer authorized to call them?! The Bentley salesperson listed on the auction (Anthony J Petruso) said the auction was a mistake and they would not deal with me at all - let alone regarding the vehicle. I suggested that if it was indeed a mistake the dealership should offer a good faith gesture of some kind but was flatly refused by the same manager despite his initial promise to ‘find a solution’.

What happened next was even stranger. The dealership got Ebay to completely remove the auction like it had never happened (Ebay auction #120794986412). All evidence of the auction including the auction history from my own personal account was deleted without a trace. When I spoke to Ebay about this they acknowledge that the listing was deleted but would not reveal why. (but I have a copy of the auction saved)

Ironically Penske’s published Code of Ethics states that “The Company is committed to dealing fairly and honestly with its customers, manufacturers, suppliers, competitors, lenders and employees. Our goal is to satisfy our customers' expectations 100% of the time.” That doesn’t seem to be the case here.

There have been at least 4 other highly visible cases involving dealerships not abiding by an Ebay sale including several high end cars. In all these prior cases the dealerships lived up to the auction. One has to wonder how this one is going to end.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    That's pretty typical of a dealer auction on eBay..

They aren't really on there to "sell" the car on eBay (unless of course, you are offering full asking price or more). They are just using it for advertising and to generate interest.

So... any time they make a mistake, or fail to enter a reserve, or any other issue.... they'll just say they've sold it elsewhere.... or, have eBay take down the auction, etc....

Did you really think they'd go through with a deal, selling a $40k car for $14K? (or, whatever it's really worth).

The upshot: Someone forgot to enter a reserve amount when setting up the auction, and they aren't willing to take a 5-figure loss on the car to "do the right thing".

In my personal opinion, auto auctions by dealers on eBay are a joke..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    One has to wonder how this one is going to end.

There is nothing to wonder about. It did end. They are following through with the deal. There is really nothing to be done about it. Nobody can force them to honor the auction.

The only thing I find troubling is Ebay's stance on it. There should be NO reason why you can't at least leave negative feedback for that auction. I would probably push on that matter personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S