Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Some people have complained over the Explorer's/Mountaineer's being a bit rougher riding, as in, you feel more of the road, when in turn...it's really not a vehicle people are used to feeling much in. As in most truck-like SUV's, they are expecting a smooth, cushy experience all around. I'm shocked Edmunds has those twins awarded actually.

The Aviator cures this issue with a bit more insulation all around, but as you stated, not enough to justify the price premium in your case.

You might like the 500/Freestyle in those regards. And from the dislikes you stated you were experience, I think the 500/Freestyle will satisfy it. They are both quiet, and the ride is cushy overall, yet somewhat aware you are communicated.

Has anyone tested the brakes? A full, belt cinching, seat encrusting, type of brake slam ? Feels like an anchor was thrown out the window..
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Funny, ANT, I did that in my maiden LS test drive, and not only did the car stop like an Fighter on an Aircraft Carrier, the butt never came up, the front never dove! It sold me completely on the superior dynamics of this car. If the 500 can do something like that, it may be as quantum a leap as the 86 Taurus was in family trans.
    Well the LS was designed with SLA front suspension to avoid the dramatic diving most cars do upon panic breaking. It's sort of pricey set up actually.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Just a few numbers this time.

The AWD CVT models will have 1.4 pounds of car to move per foot-pound of torque to start moving.

The FWD 6-speed cars will have 1.2 pounds of car per foot-pound of torque in 1st gear, then will jump to 2.1 pounds per foot-pound in second gear.

Even though it weighs more, the AWD CVT may be the best accelerating version, so I'll lower my guess to 8.4 seconds to 60. What do you think?
  • yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    Anyone heard any price ranges?
    It'll be announced later this week.
    Is anybody else here going to the Ford Racing Innovation Drive on September 2 in LA? I will be there with my wife at 10:00am
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Pricing is one MAJOR factor in the success of this car, or lack thereof. More so than even for most cars, in my opinion.

You may want to see:

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/chrysler10e_20040810.htm
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I see that the EPA mileage with the CVT is lower than that with the 6 speed. Makes me wonder why Ford offers the CVT at all.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "EPA mileage with the CVT "

Where have you see EPA estimates published for the 500?
    - Ray
    Can't find it . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I see Media Ford has updated the annual 2005 Fuel Economy cost and made some changes to their chart eliminating the 4WD Freestyle but continue to maintain a 4WD Five Hundred and a 4WD Montego

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17877&ma- ke_id=92
    It appears that the correct fuel economy chart is in the announcement today (8/10) of the prices. There is no 4WD version of the cars, so the chart buckwheat mentioned is still wrong. The vehicles are vaailable with FWD or AWD.

Also, if you did not see the prices they are $26,795 for the Limited, $2,000 less for the SEL, and $2,000 less than that for the SE. The AWD is $1,700, and the side bags are $595-$795, depending on model.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Not great detail in this release but it provides prices for US Montego

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18897

Same with this on the Five Hundred/Freestyle but it is for Canadians

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18909
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Some people on this forum have been ranting about the Dodge 300. Personally I don't even feel that the 300 competes with the Five Hundred. First its rear drive and second we now know its going to cost alot more than the Five Hundred.

The Dodge 300 is a great car but its geared toward a different crowd.

On the other hand, the Five Hundred totally stomps the direct competitor, the Chevy Impala and its much less expensive than other cars in this class such as Maxima and Avalon. Oh and its AWD.

For people looking for luxury and lots of room at a great price. The Five Hundred is a strong offering. There is more than enough market share to go around and this car will do well.

Mark
    The pricing of the Five Hundred / Montego and the 300 with the 3.5 V6 are very close, and they both offer similar interior room, but the Ford cars have a much larger trunk. I do not understand how anyone would not look at both. The basic Impala chasis dates from the middle 1980's. As for rear drive, that is a big plus, although the Ford AWD really helps reduce the problems caused by loading all of the steering and traction work onto the front tires. As for winter traction, the 300 / Magnum have been proven to do very well - they are not 1965 cars with open differentials, and they are also available with AWD. The Maxima and Avalon (new for 2005) both offer more powerful engines, although the Five Hundred and Montego have both beat on appearance and price. These are just a few of the many new vehicles for 2005, making it a very good year for cars buyers and car enthusiasts.

By the way, since the prices are the same, I now prefer the Montego, since it has a two-tone interior, perforated leather seats (cooler) and LED tail lights.
    And HID lights as well...
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Where have you seen the next Avalon? The photo thats been circulating (and was, to my surprise, shown in Car and Driver) has been pretty much repudiated as a fake.

~alpha
    Alpha01 - The photos I have seen have a wierd rounded rectangle of black paint or plastic on the fender behind the rear door enclosed by a molding which encircles the windows on each side. If that is a fake, then it is what I have seen.
    ANT14 - I see the HID lights listed in several documents, but the lights in the photos look like regular halogen lamps. If they are standard that is OK, but HID parts are so expensive that I would not order them if they were an option. I was at the dealer last year when the service guy was telling a lady that it would cost $900 to fix her bad headlight!
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I hope that the Freestyle and it's Mercury cousin will stay level with emergency braking manuvers. I performed a panic stop in my '86 Lincoln T/C. I was surprized that the front bumper didn't scrape. I'm sure the idiot who almost pulled out in front of me was thinking the same.

If the Merc. version has the HID and such standard, we may shop that version instead. Either way, I think Ford has a pennant winning group coming out.
    The 500/Montego/Freestyle will not exhibit major nose dive in panic braking.
    Vunderbar!!!
  • mgpmgpmgpmgp Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if there are plans in the works to offer a larger than average moonroof in the 500 at some point. If so when? (The standard Ford moonroof is very small, and does very little for the vehicle, especially when you consider the price). Something as large as what Surbaru offers in the Forester would be much better.
    Nope. More sunroof area you have, lesser structural rigidity you have. And since Ford is using this complex and sophisticated structure that stresses safety, it's not something you will see in the works.
    Does anyone know the offical introduction date? Ford, Edmunds, and so forth still list the vehicles in their future sections. With the prices out, are they waiting until dealers have them in stock?

Isn't anyone else here going to the drive event in LA on 9/2? We will be there at 10:00am.
    Job1 was July 12th, Introduction August 11th, when people will see them in showroom... in 3 weeks. Prices in sites such as Edmunds.com and Kbb.com should be posted within the next 2-3 weeks.
    Does the Mercury Montego come out much later than the Ford Five Hundred?
    Both are being built at the same time... If you see some sort of 'space' between releases, it's more so the Montego makes it's own entrance, instead of being over-shadowed by reports of the 500.
    "I performed a panic stop in my '86 Lincoln T/C. I was surprized that the front bumper didn't scrape."

Go test stop a Lincoln LS, and see what they've done with handling dynamics since 86 - you'll be astonished!
    Oh yeah, I know, they've come a long way, baby! Even the 78 Dodge van, we had, didn't dive like that T/C. I like how some of the newest cars don't even dip a little. Technology sure is nice, sometimes.
    89 Town Cars were made that way on purpose you know - the Titanic effect was very popular back then. It was all about how smooth you could make them.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Click here

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7414

And scroll down to the middle of the page.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    After hearing all the excuses about how Ford can't get a bigger, more powerful engine in the 500/Montego, I read about the new 300C. When will Ford wake up and realize that the American public wants something with a little more BALLS !!! I just finished the article on the Chrysler 300C for release during next spring. They blew everyone away with the 300C and a 340HP Hemi this model year. The next model will be the SRT-300C, with 425HP. If Chrysler can produce another engine so quickly, what is Fords problem. Ford models in other countries have so much over the American models. I know some of you will say that the new Fords are "pretty". Guess what, so is the 300C, as well as many of the Australian and European Ford models. This is typical of Ford USA. They stand by and let all the imported cars steal the buisniss. No navigation, no satellite radio, and the list continues. They give a little, and take back a lot. When I drove my 1997 Taurus it had power seats for both driver and passenger, power antenna, power lumbar, 4 wheel disc brakes, and so on. I buy a 2000 Mercury Sable, and I get no power passenger seat, a mast antenna, manual lumbar, which did absolutely nothing, and rear drum brakes. Why does Ford insist on shooting itself in the foot ???
    If gas prices go through the roof, we will see how great the 300C sells. And it is the first year. MANY models of its type quickly sell to everyone who wants one, then the market goes thud.

Also, this car isn't marketed to people who want a car that has what you said. This is more Avalon material. There's a lot more money to be made LONG term by going after the great middle market than the enthusiasts. You, (and we), are NOT typical. The mere fact you have enough interest to post here makes you (and me) not representative of by far the majority of the American car market.
  • zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    I agree with you 100%. I was planning to wait to buy a 500, but decided to buy a Honda Accord last year, upgrading from a '96 Taurus. I'm glad I didn't wait for the 500, because it looks like a disappointment to me. The outside looks nice, but the interior, while appearing roomy, looks like it's straight out of 1990. The car also seems like it will be underpowered with the 200HP Duratec, even with a CVT. And it is absolutely inexcusable for a car in this price range not to have navigation and satellite radio systems as options. I have also seen the Australian Ford sedans you mentioned online and they are absolutely stunning, both inside and out. Why is an American car company producing such bland cars for its home market? Although I'm still undecided about the Chrysler 300's looks, Chrysler got the overall package right, offering a big, roomy, powerful car with a nice interior and tons of options for reasonable prices. Base prices on the 500 are not quite as high as I thought they would be, but after adding popular options (moonroof, side curtain airbags, etc.) the price adds up. I got an Accord fully loaded with just about every option a person could want, including navigation and satellite radio, and paid a reasonable price for it. I wouldn't mind if it was a pinch larger, but it is still comfortable and blows away my Taurus in terms of build quality and ride quality. Ford does indeed need to wake up. I think the 500 may be too little, too late.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    The 300c makes up less than half of all 300 sales. Furthermore, the MDS featured in the 300C allows for well above average fuel economy given is weight and power.
    were no big deal to the focus groups Ford used to help design the cars - which tells you what kind of people volunteer for focus groups I guess. I agree with you - I wish this car had some more guts, but remember where Ford was aiming - a replacement for the Taurus & Crown Vic in one car. If they add in the Navigation and the Satellite Radio options, which they can do pretty quickly, it'll make a big difference. For now, I also think it's a big mistake not to have them. I'm sure Bill is screaming about stuff like that in light of the 300's debut - Chrysler's new car is fraught with some problems, but it's darn cute.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think most people who are shopping for a new car are looking for something extra, like features or performance that their present car doesn't have, or fresh styling. If all they are looking for is basic transportation, there are a lot of alternatives out there. I forsee generous factory incentives and rental car fleet sales for the Five Hundred.
    I agree with you on what the market wants today - I'm thinking the crowd who don't care about nav & sat are more the Cavalier or Malibu crowd, not the new Flagship of Ford crowd. I expect Bill will see that pretty soon, and add it on.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I have no need or desire for a 340 hp family sedan with a trunk that's barely larger than a Focus's, that leaves the Chrysler 300 out --- Yes, I know it's available with a smaller engine but the 300 and Magnum were designed around the 5.7l HEMI, and it compromises the packaging in too many ways, leading to a smaller trunk and poorer visiblity. Honda Accords are to me, too ugly, too small, and have horrible seats, that's all subjecive of course but it's also what counts if you're driving the car. I don't care much for the Malibu Maxx's sunroof, I despise sunroofs'. The Camry is better than the Acoord but still too small. The Taurus and Sable are dated, they could have been made more competitive, but Ford left that job to the Buick Lacrosse;) The Five Hundred seems to be it, a relatively economical sedan that has enough room for my needs, it'll carry 8' lumber and canvas rolls, and have room for my dad's wheelchair, and relatively easy ingress/egress for him. Those are my requirements, I don't see another sedan on the market that meets them anywhere near as well.
    It's a sedan that's a minivan alternative.
    Satellite radio, and Nav. might be nice for some but they are readily available aftermarket, and I have no need or desire for either at this time. If I were a real estate agent I'd probably want nav. and if I moved somewhere without CBC and decent Jazz stations I'd probably consider Satellite radio.
    I've missed too much these past 2 day, was up in Orlando... had an Appt. with Charley...

Zhelder,

Ok hold on... With all due respect...

"Why is an American car company producing such bland cars for its home market?"

But you bought an Accord? That and the Camry are the KINGS of blandness. People actually like bland, which is one of the reasons they sell well.

FDCapt,

Ford is looking at the Australian Falcon, there's a couple of them here in the U.S. being analyzed. You will be shocked in the next few years...

Overall this isn't a car to shock and awe, nor was it ment to.... Just like the Chrysler PTCruiser, and the Beetle... everyone was "ohhh look at that".. YET the majority moved on.. Not to mention those vehicles do not have a high repeat buyer quotient either. We need to see how the 300 does overall.

Let alone, people should wait for the 500, before judging....
    ANT14, let's make clear you mean the New Beetle, which you do. If you meant the old one, millions and millions went "Ohhh, look at that" and bought one for years and years. And then, the car could no longer be made to meet modern safety standards.

I bet the Five Hundred surprises most of the naysayers, who aren't the target market for this car anyway. If they are SOOOO enamored of the Chrysler 300C, then they should just go out and buy the dern thing, enjoy, and go post in the appropriate forum. Reminds me of the constant discussion an old poster here at Edmunds used to bring up over and over about OHV engines in the GM forums. Eventually, everyone figured out that he had only one note he played over and over. He either got bored or, more likely, was asked to leave. And the forums are, in my humble opinion, better off without his constant, never changing harangue.

The Five Hundred is not designed to make people look at it and go "Oh, my!" This car was not designed to thrill those looking for intense speed and aggresssive styling. Other cars are available for that purpose. One, I submit, is the Ford Mustang.

And I have NO interest in that car. Still, I don't get on the Edmunds board for Mustang and diss it for not having better fuel economy, a bigger trunk, a usable back seat, easier access and exit, etc.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Must people shop based on looks first, then on price.

On the 300c I've heard just as many people say they look ugly as say they look great.

When you look at how INEXPENSIVE the Five Hundred is going to be compared to its direct competition, its hard to not at least give it a serious look.

Apparently a few years ago Ford did a study which basically asked import buyers if they would consider an American car if it had the same quality and technology of the imports....

The findings were NO, NOT UNLESS the American car was ALOT CHEAPER!!!

I think Ford was paying attention...

The typical "Five Hundred buyer" is going to be someone who is going to be looking for interior room at least equal to the minivan or SUV he is replacing. and here this car delivers big time.

Also since the 3.5L isn't available immediately leasing seems alike a good idea. :)

Mark
    " let's make clear you mean the New Beetle"

Yes New Beetle, who ahhh when it came out, but stale like last weeks Coke since.

On the 300C, it's the "C" that will get the attention of some consumer's... That's the bait and hook model... They will enter, see the cost, see they can't afford it, walk out with a lesser 2.7, or 3.5L version. Majority will settle for the V6 models.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Headlines

GM CVT Goes Away in '06
    Date Posted 08-05-2004
    General Motors' experiment with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) in some of its small cars will end after the 2005 model year. The transmission, which uses adjustable pulleys to transmit power instead of fixed gears, has been installed in Saturn Ion Coupes, Vue SUVs and a European model since 2002. However, GM has had to recall vehicles so equipped because of complaints of grinding noises and failed gearboxes: GM also extended the warranty on existing CVTs as a result. GM will limit the CVT to the Vue AWD in the 2005 model year, and then will possibly replace it with a new, efficient six-speed automatic it is developing in cooperation with Ford."

Quote from Edmunds - Headlines. . .

I certainly hope Ford has a better experience.

- Ray
    Interesting - verrrry interesting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • msuradmsurad Member Posts: 7
    Very well said, Johnclineii, nedc2, and mschmal. I agree with posts 1081, 1083, and 1084 completely. The Five Hundred seems to have the things most people really need and nothing they don't, but evidently people don't have enough common sense to realize that.
This discussion has been closed.