Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    So which does the 500 have?
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Disc brakes. Specifically dual piston calipers and 12.4" discs up front, and 13" discs with single piston calipers in rear. They seem to work really well. When I test drove a Freestyle, which shares the Five Hundred's mechanicals, I practically stood on them from about 30-35 mph going over the rumble strips on the test course on Belle Isle and there was no nosediving, or any loss of composure, and a surprisingly short stoppping distance, keep in mind that the vehicle had been going through this kind driving for about 5 hours before I got my shot. They are worlds better than the disc drum setup in the Sable I borrowwed recently or the 4 wheel discs on my Crown Vic.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    The Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle all have 12.5" vented discs in the front and depending on Fords own presskit for each model, which I believe to be just another Ford "faux pas" the Five Hundred has 12" solid discs in the rear the others have 13"

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 51&press_section_id=398&make_id=92

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 53&press_section_id=398&make_id=94

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 54&press_section_id=398&make_id=92
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    its 13 inch solid rear rotors on Five Hundred. This gives the Five Hundred bigger discs than some so called "Full Size" pickups on the market.

Mark
    you concluded that hah! That was the thrust of my post, just another typo along with the many other typos, like 6speed auto with AWD.
    Yeah, the press realeases are full of typos, but the rear discs are approx. 13" and they are HUGE, I've seen the cars up close and have driven them. They have really impressive brakes.
  • iantgiantg Member Posts: 1
    Today, I attended the Ford Innovation Drive in Orlando, Fl. Got to take the Five Hundred Limited AWD, the Freestyle SE, and the new f350 for a spin. The Five Hundred is very comfortable, and the acceleration issue doesn't seem to be too terrible with the cvt. Then again, I have a focus zx3 with five speed, and found performance to be slightly better than what I'm used to. The freestyle's styling is a little uninspired, but the five hundred looks promising. Since it rides on the Volvo S80 platform, the amount of mounting hardware for the 3.0 liter duratec makes it obvious. Considering that this architecture is wide enough to accomodate an inline six, I think we can expect some interesting cars on this promising platform. I recommend playing with a Volvo S80 before tying one out. You'll see where everything comes from. It's not incredibly obvious, but it's the little things that make this car, well, unusual for a Ford Product.
    Since I have lots of experience with the S-80, and love it (except for the FWD aspect, which I tolerate, not love), I bet I like the 500......
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    The other day I priced out the 500 and Montego. I was a bit surprised how high the prices ended up being. My question is, will they create packages for the options, or will it be each individual option. I know in the past there have been certain options that were grouped together, and you ended up saving money that way. I find it hard to spend 30 grand on a Mercury that doesn't have half the options I have in my Acura TL. I can pick up a new Acura for just about what you'll be paying for a loaded Montego. I think Ford better re-think their pricing
    The pricing looks pretty good to me. The Montego Luxury, with the safety and convenience packages, and the reverse sensing option, the only options I'd be interested in comes to under $27K whereas the base TL comes to over $33K, list prices not invoice.
    The two cars are rather hard to compare though, they're not really aimed at the same market. the TL is a luxury sport sedan, the Montego, while it might be peppy and handle reasonably well, the Ford Five Hundred certainly felt so to me, is MUCH larger and less sporting in character. It is however a more versatile transporter of people and cargo. I don't really think that too many Montego shoppers would have seriously considered the TL, more likely they'd be cross shopping with Avalons, V6 Chrysler 300s, Park Avenues, Subaru Legacys, base model Volvo S80s, and maybe even some minivans. I'm also interested in what options you found missing. Navigation? Moon roof? Manual transmisson?
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "I think Ford better re-think their pricing..."

See this article:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18901
    Man you are totally negative about these cars why do you even bother posting.

The pricing on these cars is thousands less then the competition.

the lowest priced 500 with awd is about 5k less than the lowest priced chrysler 300 with awd.

the only less expensive car in this catagory is the chevy impalla which is an old design that is hardly competitive.

why don't you just go buy a chrysler 300 if thats what you want.
    Mark
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Prices will begin at $22,795 for the front-drive Five Hundred SE. The SE with all-wheel drive begins at $24,495 - more than $5,000 below the most affordable all-wheel drive Chrysler 300."

But what are the differences in equipment levels?

~alpha
    Being a Ford/Mercury owner for almost 40 years, I'll say what I want about these cars. Yes, I'm negative about the way Ford blew it with these cars. I guess working for Ford makes you get very touchy. I guess it is tough explaining to your customers why your new car has 50 HP less then just about everything in it's class. I find it tough to handle the way these cars were pushed out maybe a year or 2 to early. Maybe it would have made better sense to wait, instead of what they did this year. If you read some of the reviews and articles in Forbes, USA, Detroit News, etc., you'll see that I'm not the only one who thinks Ford screwed up.
    These cars don't seem half baked to me. I've seen more Five Hundreds, Freestyles, and Montegos on the road over the past year than I've seen of preproduction test vehicles of any Ford over the past 20 years. I've seen some that looked like they'd been used for extensive off-road testing. The car is being built on a proven platform, the Volvo derived P2 or D3 as Ford calls it. It has a proven engine. The CVT is the cars one new technology, and I do worry about it, but having driven one I can say that it performs impressively, the car is very quick and incrdibly smooth. Only time will tell of its durability, but it has been extensively tested. I'd also argue that many cars today are overpowered, some ridiculously so. Does one really need a family sedan that do zero to 60 in under 6 seconds?

What these cars do offer is impressive packaging, the kind of rear seat space usually fond oly in large luxury cars, cavernous luggage capacity, flexible seating, and excellent visiblity, unlike the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum. They are eminently practical cars, and they handle very well, with terrific braking and suspension. People who yearn for a HEMI or an exotic luxury sports sedan with all the latest gadgets may not be impressed, but if you want something comfortable to move people and stuff, that's also a pleasure to drive these cars seem hard to beat.

Ford couldn't afford to wait on these cars, and it really doesn't need to wait for the Duratec 35 to be ready in 18 months the car is quite powerful enough. It is very well appointed even if it's not a true luxury car. It lacks some high end options, notably Navigation, but this is a very expensive option on most cars that have it, it is one of the biggest causes of complaints on cars equipped with, and frankly it's not as useful in most of North America as it is in some other places where street naming and numbering conventions can be a little odd.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Let's take something into consideration. We are grabbing a $30K+ platform used in the S60, thru S80 and XC90, maximize it's porportions/dimensions to make the best interior accomodations possible, and thrown in materials/qualities of cars costing $10K more.... All this with a starting price of $22K. Seems like quite a bargain to me.

Take other vehicles for example...Altima starts around $17K, but surely... we all want the loaded $29-30K model. Camry, same issue...starts low, ends up a bit over $30K fully loaded, Avalon..a bit more. Accord can hit $28-29K as well. 300M can hit $36K loaded.

Conclusion: If you think $28K-30K is too much, get the lesser trims starting around $22-24K with less toys, and the same with occur with the competition like Impala, Avalon, etc.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I learned something while shopping for binoculars recently. I picked out the model I just new was the very best, it was recommended by everyone. I went to the store and picked it up and did not like it at all. Other's opinions just did not matter in this case. It did not work for me.

The same will be true with a car. Until I get drive and play with the new 500, I really will not know if I like or dislike it.

I thought I would really like the XG350. Looks great on paper. When I drove the car, my knees hit the steering wheel. Scratch that off the list.

The biggest challenge for me will be going from a RWD to FWD.

There are so many intangibles to a car. Everything looks good in a glossy print. But what will you buy.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The final pricing now up on Edmunds and elsewhere confirms that the Montego is a bargain. An AWD Montego with all options except the sunroof is $140 less than the Five Hundred, and has three features not available on the Five Hundred - perforated seats, LED tail lights, and HID headlights.
    That is correct, but to counteract that.... I would share with you that in the long run, the average Mercury buyer will bargain less, than a Ford buyer. I forgot the numerical statistics, but overall Mercury costumer's happen to bargain much less than numerous other brands... I think Buick was up there in that list as well.

So in the long run, the Mercury shopper will probably spend a bit more because they haggle less. Whereas the Ford shopper will probably have a canniption, and if they still can't get their way, they'll go to Mercury.

Hence, the cycle.

And I do know of some shoppers that have gone to a Ford dealership, NOT get the vehicle they wanted for haggling too much. Goes to Mercury, spends the same exact thing they were fight for at the Ford dealership, yet because it has a few toys, they allow it to slide.

Go figure...
    ANT14 - that is good and interesting information. Rather than haggling, I decide what I want, then send bid letters to a number of dealers with a place for them to write in their full price (with tax, license, and everything else), then sign it and return it to me.
    Ok, I will agree that these cars seem nice on paper, and when the time comes, I'll form my own opinions. Being a Ford/Mercury driver for many years, I was really expecting much more from them this year. I've been really excited about the fact that Ford was able to draw from all the other companies they now own, and really stick it to the rest of the car manufacturers. They did borrow some technology from their other holdings, but I feel not nearly enough. I know they are using the Volvo chassis which should make many people stand up and take notice, but why do they always do "just enough"? I own 2 cars, one being a 2003 Focus. I really love this car, but then I read about the new Focus in Europe, and that seems to be a much better car. My frustration gets the best of me when in my opinion, U.S. customers always seem to get the the "tamer" versions of Fords production. And I'm not talking about the Mustang or the GT-40.
    Well, they had a price point to meet, the Five Hundred is bigger than a Volvo S80, and yet it maxes out $4K to $5K less than the BASE price of the S80, so yes it might be short of a few goodies, I for one was hoping to see cabin air filtration, alas that's been left out. And yes the Euroland Focus is better appointed than our model, but when you compare prices you'll find that it's also priced several thousand dollars higher, with a smaller 75hp 1.4 l gasoline engine standard!
    The European market is a far different place and the Focus and other cars its size fit in a niche that is more comparable to the one occupied by midsize cars like the Camry, Taurus, Accord, etc. here. Cars are more of a discretionary expense in Europe rather than an absolute necessity for functioning in the economy as they are for most Americans. Ford certainly has its problems, but it seems that they are largely going in the right direction now, they lost alot of their momentum in the 90s while Jac Nasser was busy buying and selling companies and divisions while ignoring the core business, it's going to take several years to see the fruits of new product development.
    FdCapt,

Other countries have different circumstances and buying habits, than that of the U.S.

The Focus in Europe can easily top $28K (in exchange rates, approx), and is one of the better sellers overall. Most reliable as well from last years dependability study, and lowest cost to own award, as well...

Unfortunately in the U.S., we get simpler versions, with simpler trims. American consumer's have a hard time paying too much money for a vehicle deamed "economy car". So many factors need to be placed in the equation and find a neutral balance.

And now there's the new Focus, built upon the C1 platform. And you hear everyone whining over that...I've mentioned it in another forum before (can't remember which one)...between you and me, the only difference between C170 platform (current one) and C1 (new one), is just a few cross beams, and reinforced structural members... Will you feel it in off the pants driving? Very doubtful. If anything I could throw in some stiffer struts and tires, and you could even mimick it if need be.

I myself love the Australian Falcon. But that presents another issue as well. Consumer's that will pay THAT amount of money, are expecting to have commodious interiors. Plus, the vehicle would have a hard time passing federal emmissions regulations, and "crush zones" would have to be integrated into the structure. Again, $$$$. And as seen by the Monaro, eh Pontiac GTO, sales are dismal.

Mondeo ? We had it here, under Contour. Newer Euro version addressed the U.S. shortcomings. But the Focus' interior is quite large, and might impede on Mondeo' sales... So again, other scales of economy.

If you learn of the 500's, potential, and the engineering behind it, you would have greater appreciation over the vehicle. Granted, most of us would wanted V8, and a few other toys but in reality, it might be things many other's wouldn't bother paying for. And if you offer too many toys, then the complaints will be about higher pricing, or something else that might break, etc.etc.

Compared to the competition, this vehicle will be a slam dunk. Not 300K+ sales as the Taurus has, but slam dunk in the sense of bringing quality, precision, fine craftmanship and engineering into the mainstream market.
    In my opinion, the home run Ford really needs to hit with the 500, is a good reputation from the gate. If the car performs as advertised, holds up and becomes a "respected and recommended" used car, Ford is enhanced, and residuals will follow across many boards in the U.S. & Canada. Much as the F-150 has done, repeatedly - which keeps it the gold standard of large trucks. The fanciness, options, and fringe complaints will all pale in comparison to a car that delivers what it was built for - solid, dependable and pleasurable Sedan performance. In other words, if it's a Camry & Accord equal, and a little bit better in size, it will quickly make anything GM has out there old news.
    "Yes, they're stylish and comfortable on the inside, but materials quality is below import standards. Yes, they offer refined driving dynamics, but the Duratec V6 is hardly a source of entertainment. If you're looking for a sedan that can swallow up a family of five that never travels light, these cars are definitely worth consideration, but if you're looking for more than a utilitarian implement, the Freestyle and Montego may not be up to speed."

If this is indicative of the kinds of reviews the Five Hundred and Montego are going to get, I dont feel its going to be enough for Ford. Ford desperately needs some critical acclaim, and judging from the edmunds.com piece, its not happeneing.

~alpha
    Since when has Edmunds had a glowing review over a Ford, I was shocked to see they even recommend the Explorer...

My favorite line which I knew would come up...

" But buyers who spend upward of $25,000 will expect to connect to their family sedan on an emotional level: A VW Passat, for example, offers both a luxurious interior and an engaging driving experience. While people may purchase one out of necessity, a Passat ultimately becomes a treasured member of the family. "

Uh huh, the Passat is a treasured member of the family alright. Goes to the hospital (service center) as often as Grandma goes to get dialysis done.

I find it ironic how Edmunds and a few other rags recommend the Passat on sheer driving experience, yet they never mention how unreliable they really are, and wish they would own one for years to feel the "benefits" of their beloved treasure, heh...

Hence, this is just one of many reviews that have started popping up. And so far it's been quite positive overall.
    We just returned from visting relatives in central Europe, and they tell us that the VW models rust far more quickly than the more expensive Audi versions of the same cars. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would choose the Passat over the Five Hundred / Montego, especially at a similar price.
    ". I don't see how anyone in their right mind would choose the Passat over the Five Hundred / Montego, especially at a similar price."

Especially when the size of a Passat's interior is more comparable to that of a Focus, whereas the Five Hundred is nearly as roomy as an Audi A8L.
    Speaking of Passat, did you guys read about the mess VW is having with the 1.8t and oil sludge? they are replacing a lot of engines and extending warrenties..

Oh and if you want to submit a warrenty claim on a VW, you better have receipts from all your oil changes.

Also someone mentioned they were looking for an air filtration system? There is definately an air-filtration system, its just not "hepa" certified.

Mark
    I have long since given up looking for a positive review of a Ford product from a Magazine. I'm not sure why, but I'm convinced that if you slapped a blue oval on a Lexus-it would suddenly have inferior materials used.
    Really? You must have missed the 5 years of consecutive Ten Bests that Car and Driver has awarded the Focus line, or the high ranking (and due to improved reliability) recommended nod that Consumer Reports gives the same vehicle. For a long run, the Focus topped CRs small car list, above Civic and Corolla (until it was unseated by its cousin, the Mazda 3).

Seems to me that when Ford produces a strong model, its recognized, and when they dont, thats recognized too. Just more often then not, Fords entries are good, but not that good.

But if you have accounts of clear bias from the mags, please do tell.
    ~alpha
    The Ford Racing Innovation Test Drive today (9/2)at the Irwindale Speedway in LA was good, although I wished for some rough road surface and more drive time.

The Five Hundred and Freestyle both look good in pictures and better in reality. My wife reported that the back seat of the Five Hundred is bigger and better than the harder seats and more cramped conditions in the second row of the Freestyle. The interior of the Five Hundred is very nice, but the Freestyle interior looks somewhat "trucky." The AWD Freestyle felt better than the FWD Five Hundred. The Five Hundred seemed quiet, and more so than the Freestyle, but I will need to drive one on the lousy freeways here (I-5 & I-405) to really evaluate the car.

The new Mustang is very nice, and again better than in the photos. I really liked the interior. Even the V6 feels good. Most of the people driving the 4.6 Mustangs with manual transmissions got a nice bark out of the rear tires on the 1 to 2 shift, but soon had to slow down for a curve.

The web site http://www.familycar.com has a nice review with excellent photos of the Five Hundred.
    No, Alpha, those "exceptional" comments on the recent Focus haven't been lost on me, I noted them. But I noted them as amazing and miraculous, given the usual treatment Bill's cars normally get.

Hey, it's just how it seems to me, statistically, I could be all wet. Who knows? I just find it amazing, for example, how the Expedition gets panned, and the old tech, out of date, antiquated Chevy Tahoe is everybody's "standard" of full sized SUVs. Just how it seems to me......
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I guess I don't get the five hundred. I am skeptical that it will get a reputation for reliability anytime soon so it can compete with the camry and accord, and it is front wheel drive/6 cyl. so it is not a competitor for the 300c. I just don't understand why ford didn't go RWD with a V8. With today's tech, they can be more fuel efficient than any big SUV, and big RWD american sedans seem to be getting some renewed respect in the US now. The 500 just smacks of a gussied up bloated Taurus to me.
    Once you see them, it is clear that the Five Hundred is nothing like a "gussied up bloated Taurus." It is a far better car than the Taurus, and is not at all "bloated."

I also wish that the new 3-valve 4.6 was in front driving the rear (or all) wheels, but I really don't need a sedan with 6 second or better 0-60 performance and the associated insurance bills.

I really could not tell from the limited drive time, but others have reported mid-seven zero to sixty times. It seems likely that a loaded Five Hundred / Montego with AWD will reach sixty in eight seconds or so, and that is good enough. I could tell that it certainly is not a nine or ten second zero to sixty vehicle.
    I'm thinking, by accident, Ford may have swerved the right way with the power train in the 500 - given that Gas is likely going to remain more expensive than ever for quite some time. It may never go back where it was last year again - if that's the case, Hemi's may become boat anchors...
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    As 4th Quarter approaches, does anyone know when Five Hundreds will arrive at dealers?

Will Ford's reported 4th quarter production cutback impact the Five hundred's availability?
    I just re-read the Edmunds initial review and realized that a key fact needs to be considered. Most of the Camry, Accord, and Altima cars sold are FOUR cylinder models. The Five Hundred V6 will do very well against them.

I think the Ford products are the only ones in the group to offer side air bags plus side curtain air bags which protect in rollovers, not just side impacts. The Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum do not even offer side air bags, just head curtain air bags, explaining their crash test ratings.
    Um, the Chevy Tahoe is hardly the darling of the large SUV class. In fact, that model and the Expedition both duked it out for last place in Car and Driver's most recent comparison test, with few points separating the two.

Another Ford that has done very well because it is a strong contender is the Escape. Upon introduction in 2001, it won a C/D comparison test of 10 small utes, and just this month (the October issue) of CR shows the Escape finishing near the top of its class 5th of 16 tested models.

So again, I feel that when Ford produces a good vehicle, its recognized....

IMO, the Five Hundred is not competiting with 4 cylinder Camry and Accords. Even so, those models hit 60 in the high 8s or low 9s (though the new Camry 5 speed auto 4 cylinder hasnt been tested yet), while returning EPA ratings of 24/34 with the automatic... which the Five Hundred isnt going to touch.

~alpha
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Side and curtain air bags are available for the Camry.
    Ford is the only automaker to provide roll-over protection with its side curtain airbags (volvo might also have this).

Using cold air nitrogen inflaters with a tilt sensor, the side curtain can deploy in a roll over event BEFORE IMPACT!!!. the bags will remain inflated for up to 6secs to allow for multiple roll overs.

Also, the people who buy these cars aren't going to care about 0 to 60 times. They will be interested in "does it feel peppy," "Does my family fit", "will my neighbors/co-workers laugh at it, or be impressed," "Will it be reliable," "Can I afford the payments".

What annoys me about auto journalists is when the evaluate a vehicle in a way that doesn't reflect their use. If you really want to evaluate a family car, then i think you have to put a family into it and take it on a family outing, not just take it to the track and attach a fifth wheel and see if you can leave stripes.

I have yet to see an article about the 2004 F-150 that actually evaluates it as a truck used to do work, tow, and haul things. So when i read an article in an auto mag about anything other than a sports car, I tend to take it with a grain of salt.

Mark
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    have yet to see an article about the 2004 F-150 that actually evaluates it as a truck used to do work, tow, and haul things.

Well since about 98% of what I see on the lots are crew cab, leather wrapped, dvd equipped driveway queens...I'm not suprised the popular mags are not evaluating their work capabilities.
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    I am in the market next year for a 4 door (Accord, Maxima, etc) and this car has been on the radar.

I currently have a ford taurus that has a auto tranny give out at 80K. I love fords, but this is my 4th ford that has had auto tranny issues. Apparently, I'm not the only one (as my ford dealership keeps plenty of auto trannys in stock because of this).

I am weary to put this car on my list because of the mechanical issues ford suffers from.

I know that this ford has lots of Volvo in it, but can someone say what parts are ford and what is volvo? I know the duratec is ford...what about the tranny? Suspension?

The interior is not an issue, as you can see what ford vehicles they took the parts from.

By the way, speaking of interior, who else is not impressed by the fact that ford pasted in a square radio unit into an otherwise curved front dash? You think they would have hid the generic ford radio shape when putting it in the 500. Looks out of place.

GregC
    The 6-speed automatic is made by a respected supplier based in Japan, and the CVT by Ford (developed with ZF). Honda has had many problems with automatics, GM has had many problems (the 4L60E in my '96 Impala SS blew up twice in 110,000 miles, and I never ran the car down a drag stip, just drove it for work, mostly on freeways). After many years of bad automatics from many vendors, the latest automatics all seem to finally be reasonably reliable. Someone who is really worried can buy an extended warranty, although I would rather invest the money and still have it if it is not needed.
    " but this is my 4th ford that has had auto tranny issues."

Which Ford models have you had tranny issues with?
    The one for the 500 is from Aisin AW, which is 48% owned by Toyota. The CVT was a joint venture project with ZF, later spearheaded by Ford. I've had 9 Ford's all into the 80-110K mark, and no issue. Granted, they have never been FWD vehicles... And I'm not a gentle driver, and believe on redlining from the first street I drive off from, heh...

You shouldn't recognize that many Ford details inside the cabin. The radio unit is the new unit being used in the F-150 which is very simply to use, not at all the roundy units found on the Taurus'. The window switches are not at all what you would find on typical Fords, more european than Ford. Climate control system different from Ford's typical units if it's the auto system. The manual variety is really the only item that might remind you of typical Ford units.

Shiftgate lettering, instrumentation, etc. are different from most Ford units you might be used to. Yes the Duratec is Ford, as many other components within the vehicle. Waterpumps, starters, etc. might differ from Taurus' unit, only because they are much beefier or higher quality. But all parts will be easily available in the future, if need be.
    You are certainly correct for the recent past, but several years ago, for several years, C/D continued to call the Tahoe "the standard by which all full sized SUVs are measured", despite its antiquated architecture. Used to baffle me...
    At first, it was "the Expedition has quirky steering". Ok, Ford tightened up the steering, (which I didn't like), then it was, "The Tahoe rides smoother". And, that's makes it a more competent SUV? Then, it was, "The Expedition feels sluggish".

I had a Navigator, my business partner had the same year Tahoe. We compared them all the time. The Navigator, trim levels aside, was more trucky, but clearly better engineered in our opinions. It just seemed the mags never gave Ford a break. That's all I was saying, and it was largely based on this experience.
  • zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    I had two Tauruses. (Tauri?) One was a 1987 and one is a 1996 (which I'm driving right now because my Accord is in the shop). The '87 was lousy, but I thought the '96 was a great car... until I got an Accord. Driving my Taurus has been making me crazy, because it is so uncomfortable compared to the Accord. The Accord is a bit smaller, but it is still far more comfortable and is put together much better than the Taurus. I feel much safer in the Accord and I feel like I have far more control of the car. You can make the argument that it's not fair to compare a '96 Taurus to an '04 Accord, but let's face it: the Taurus is essentially the same car in was in '96 except for some square headlights and radio controls and the 500 doesn't look to me like a revolutionary upgrade from the Taurus. I was very seriously considering buying a 500, but I'm very glad I got an Accord instead. It's a shame, because I really thought the 500 was going to be a revolutionary car. But the lack of engine power, options, and lukewarm reviews suggest otherwise.
    The CVT joint venture between ZF transmissions & Ford ended in March of 2004 with Ford buying out the 51% owned by ZF. The CVT became a 100% Ford product with outsourcing of parts. This occurred before the summer 2004 production of the Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle.
    ZF Lemforder in a continued relationship with Ford supplies the front and rear axle chassis systems on the Five Hundred/Montego and the Freestyle.
    ZF maintains a 100,000 square-foot facility at the Ford Chicago Mfg. Campus half a mile east of the Chicago assembly plant.
    Others in the campus are:
    Lear Corp., makes the headliners;
    Tower Automotive, stampings;
    Visteon, instrument panels, bolsters, HVAC components and fuel tanks;
    SY Systems Technologies, wiring;
    Summit Polymers Inc., console (injected plastics);
    Plastech, injected and blow molded plastics;
    Brose, door components;
    TDS Automotive, sequencing and automotive assembly;
    Ford Parts Depot, which moved from its former location in Melrose Park,Ill.
This discussion has been closed.