Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I saw where your dealer said you had to order by the end of May or wait until retooling in September. Not true! According to this site the cutoff date for orders for '02 Wranglers is 5-1-02 and the startup date to build '03 Wranglers is 7-22-02. Could it be that the your dealer would like you to buy now before you change your mind and move on to something else? Most of the time they will not offer this info and be very vague if you question them about it. You should be able to order an '03 in very early June after the dealers receive their pricing and specs. I am definitely waiting for the '03, and I'll one of the first in line. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.wheels.com/events/cutoffFrame.htm

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Col Ralph Gauer and Ltcol Sweeney in the 504th. Mrs. Gauer is mayor of Harker Heights.

Captains Proctor, Logan, Sizemore, and Fant in the 15th. Also Warrants Ken Allen, Vince Durante, Valentine, and Olney, Maj John Barbenchek, Smaj Klasenski, and First Sgt Littlejohn.

A female S1 and SFC Moses in the mess hall of the 163rd. Sold my BMW motorcycle to some captain in the 163rd in 86 or 87.

Did you do the ribbon cutting ceremony on the refurbished building for the 15th to move into?

Yes, small world.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Ispygator summed it up very well - both are good, both have their places, both have people who will defend them to the end. It all depends on what your situation is.

I love my 5 speed. If I get another Wrangler I'll get another 5 speed. If I get the Forester I'll look at the auto. My commute has very few traffic lights or stop signs. The Wrangler's gearing is low, so I can put it in 1st or 2nd gear and just creep along in the slow traffic without shifting. I can't do that in the Taco - it seems like the traffic is always too fast for 1st and too slow for 2nd. I'll have to drive the Forester to see which way I would want to (if I'll want to) go with it. Though the idea of another 4 banger with an auto worries me with my uphill commute.

Some people prefer an auto for off-roading, especially in sand. It is easier to spin your tires with a manual. Others prefer the more precise handling they get with the 5 speed.
    I guess at 6' 7" you don't spend much time riding in the back seat.
    Ah, the favorite game of military people - where were you when and who did you know. Since it is often a small world you always end up knowing someone in common or remember the same places. I doubt I would recognize Killeen - when I left it had grown tremendously. Copperas Cove hadn't grown that much except in land. They annexed our little valley where everyone owned horses. At one point they did a TV report and were talking about the horse breeders (us) but the two horses they showed playing happened to be our show horses, which were geldings!

I remember the female S1 from the 163d (though don't remember her name). I remember one day when it had snowed, I came in as usual in my 3/4 ton pickup with a couple of bales of hay in the back. She called up because they hadn't plowed her street in her subdivision and she didn't think she could make it in with her (front wheel drive) car. But she probably went much further in the Army than I did - I was such a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I remember 1SG Littlejohn - if I remember right, he signed for a key from me then was out of the country when I was trying to clear my hand receipts. I just paid for the key as it was easiest. There was a female Maj XO of the 163d. I remember her, but can't remember her name, and I worked for her!

I remember them renovating those 4 old WW2 buildings that had been barracks - I remember being somewhat involved with it. They were originally supposed to be barracks again, but they didn't meet any of the code requirements so they became the battalion and company headquarters buildings. I don't remember any ribbon cutting ceremonies so I would guess that you are talking about the 15th moving out of that building to somewhere else. I remember that C Co. 163d was located in an old firehouse, with many exposed pipes - insulated with asbestos padding.

I vaguely remember a BMW bike belonging to someone I knew - it was the quietest bike, really a nice one. I remember Hank, who was the Watkins-Johnson (or other communications company) tech rep at the time. I bought his old truck when he went to Korea. When he came back he was surprised it was still running - best truck I ever owned.

You were smart to go to Lampassas - the car dealers outside most military posts have more business than they need, so won't meet you half way on anything. I've bought from several before I learned about buying cars...
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Tluke,you are absolutely right about the salesman in this case. As a salesman,he would rather make the sale now and not 3 months from now when you are likely to stray from your decison. It has been my experiecne in the past that in fact,most salesman are not very knowledgeable about the vehicles they are selling and are simply acting as order takers. I don't mean to insult anyone here but that has been my personal experience. With so much information at our finger tips,we definitley are in the know. Speaking of information,here is another blurb I came across in the Motor Trend Future vehicles section:
    "2003 Jeep Wrangler: A significant update to the TJ Wrangler will likely adapt the drivetrain and possibly the independent suspension from Liberty."

This is even better than I had hoped.. A new suspension would be a bonus.

Stay tuned!
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Hate to rain on your parade, but that Motortrend piece is out-of-date. Considering that the new 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is keeping the solid axles and 4.0L inline-6, it's pretty safe to say that the rest of the Wrangler line will be little changed in 2003. Chrysler is not going to produce separate lines of the Wrangler with different 6-cylinder engines and suspensions at the same time. I think the most significant change we can expect is a possible modular hard top as an option next year, though I would guess even that is chancy.

Maybe in 2004 we will see those updates. I'd be surprised if they don't at least drop the Liberty's V6 into the Wrangler by then.
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Excellent point! I initially thought that maybe the Rubicon would be a special edition 2002 but they are calling it a 2003 and you are absolutely right,I can't see them having two different platforms for the same model year.
    The only question I have is, why would they bother making major changes in 2004 when the vehicle is being completely re designed in 2006? It just doesn't make sense.. Anyway,I'll take whatever improvements they make for 2003...
    Who knows,maybe disc brakes all around like on the Rubicon.
    Oh, I think they will drop in the Liberty's V6 into the Wrangler (and the Grand Cherokee, for that matter) in the next year or so. There is no sense in having multiple 6s in the Jeep line. You'll probably see it popping up in the Dodge line too, just like the 4.7L V8 has ended up in the Dodge trucks after starting in the Grand Cherokee.

It's a bit of a shame that the 4.0L inline 6 will end soon. It's been a Jeep exclusive since the early 70s AMC days, and is consequently very durable. Chrysler has never put it in the Dodge line, which is it a bit of a surprise. All things must come to an end, I suppose, but it will be missed.
    The last thing I remember hearing directly from Chrysler about the redesign of the Wrangler was about 9 months ago I think. When Chrysler was bleeding serious red ink out of the parent company last summer, I remember reading an announcement that they had halted/postponed redesign on a number of lines, and the Wrangler was one of them. If they have not put the funds back yet, it may be some time before the TJ is replaced. I'm not sure if the 2006 date you mentioned was pre- or post- that announcement.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Man, I hope they don't screw up the Wrangler! What's wrong with the good old 4.0? Who wants IFS? Leave the Wrangler alone!

Tom

Have you hugged your 4.0 powered, solid axle Jeep today?
    Sorry, tsjay, but the TJ is far from perfect. It's better than the YJ, but I can make a list of things that could be improved. I don't know if I am ready for an independent suspension, but the ride could be smoother. The engine is durable but far too thirsty and very loud. Pretty much anything, for that matter, than reduces engine/road/wind noise is a priority in my book. The soft top is still too complicated and the windows scratch if you just look at them funny.

I don't accept that these things can't be improved without destroying the Jeep's character. I don't know if this means an independent suspension or a new engine. A lot of the changes on the TJ were initially accused of watering down the Jeep character, but have since proved baseless. Why can't the next Jeep make the same leaps? Why does it have to be a trade-off?

The only thing that shouldn't change much is the styling. The TJ is one of the best looking vehicles in the long history of Jeep IMHO.
    Well, this is my first ever Jeep, and I absolutely wouldn't change a thing about it, except for about a million dollars worth of mods. :) Sure do want a lift, big tires, lockers in the front and rear, all the underbelly protection, rocker protection, etc.

I wouldn't want them to change the Jeeps as they come from the factory, though. In my book they are just fine the way they are. You can build them up with whatever mods you want to make.

I like the power at low RPMs of the 4.0 and its durability. Just being a beginner at offroading, I have to trust the old hands in their opinion that IFS is not desirable on the trail.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. About time you made it back to gill's ain't it? The site is back up now, or at least the chat room is working. I think the BB and the gallery are still down.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I believe the wrangler will also have a 2002 1/2
    jeep wrangler called the apex. My local dealer showed me the brochere on it.
    Anyone looking at jeeps maybe should check it out. WOW love all the posting lately good to check up with my jeep buddies..
    anyone heard from twylie lately?
    TAJAY---how's the CB coming along..get some pics of the antenna hook up you did...im trying to get some ideas...

KeepJeepin
    BamaTazz
    When the heck are ya gonna get back to your buddies at gill's? You have deserted us!

The stupid CB still ain't workin'. What was I thinkin' when I decided to install it myself?

It's mounted on the overhead rack that I got from CBrack.com, but it won't power up. I have a bad connection somewhere or maybe a bad ground.

I'll take it to a little CB shop tomorrow, and the guy there can find my problem for me.

Tom

In your time on Edmunds, have you ever seen any guesstimates on how much weight a person adds to a Wrangler when they start doing mods? I know that different brands of products have different weights, but I wonder if there is a ballpark figure out there.

Isn't the payload for a Wrangler with a hardtop 800 pounds? Any idea on how much the hardtop weighs?

After the 31 inch tires and steel wheels I guess I will be looking at different skid plates and such. With time I will get around to bumpers after a slight lift, but that is further down the road.

I can see having to do some performance upgrades to the engine at some point in time just because of the extra weight I will be carrying.

Are you going to get dirty on the weekend?
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I tow a 1700# boat no problem.
    I haven't seen a figure for the extra weight for all the various mods, but I am sure it is significant. Just a heavy bumper and a winch would add quite a bit of weight, I'm sure. Heck, my "wench" added lots of weight to Thelma Jane today... took momma wheelin! :)

All the skid plates and stuff would add their share too.

I am hoping to go this weekend, but my buddy says his parts came in and he will be working on some mods for his Jeep instead of wheeling this weekend.

Another guys says he will be going Sunday, so I might hook up with him.

I'll email you with a Jeep site that has about a million posts with technical questions and answers, but I'd better not mention their name here. That one is a commercial site, unlike Gill's, so Edmunds wouldn't like it if I plugged their site here.

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    You are supposed to HELP your buddy with his ride, and then he will help you when it is your turn. Plus, it works out nice for splitting beers/coffees/chitchat/whatever when there are others around.
    I would just be in the way. I am a klutz!

Tom
    What brand hitch do you have? Did you loose any ground clearance?

I have a small dual axle stock trailer that I will have to pull a few times each year.
    You get my email?

Tom
    I agree that the wrangler isn't perfect. I like the I6 engine with its low end torque, but would prefer something less thirsty (the main reason I haven't already traded the Taco on another Wrangler). One of the interesting things I've noticed is that while most other manufacturers are fooling around with their V6 engines, Chevy came out with an all new straight 6 in their Trailblazer. Sign of the future? Maybe DC could just update the 4.0L.

I'm interested to see if anything comes from the hardtop with removable panels. Did DC ever have a concept car with that on it? Not sure I would want something like that, but I might and wondered how they would do it. If it would help with the handling in the wind I would definitely be interested in it.

Well, tomorrow I hope to test drive a Forester to see what it is like. I won't buy it until the 2003s come out. I can't believe I'm getting close to buying a new vehicle now - the year after I bought the Wrangler (in April) and had to register it at the same time as I was trying to find the money for taxes, I said never again! In fact, we bought the Taco in September. And now I'm thinking of doing it again?!!?
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    If they really wanted to improve the I6 they could at least develop a cross flow head for it.

How many other vehicles are left that have both the intake and exhause manifold on the same side of the engine?
    The new straight 6 that GM has introduced is getting rave reviews. Unfortunately, it has a Chevy wrapped around it. Classic story of GM (to me, at least): good drivetrains, bad styling and awful interiors. I don't know why DC has decided not to try to update the Jeep I-6 again--they last did it when they fuel-injected it and the displacement went from 4.2L to 4.0L. Maybe they have hit a design limitation. I personally prefer the I6 design to the V6, and the Wrangler engine bay is obviously long enough for it. The Jeep I6's days are numbered, though. I can't see DC keeping this "oddball" AMC engine indefinitely with the industry moving towards drivetrain standardization across product lines. The Liberty's V6 is obviously designed as a replacement.

MtnGal: The Forester is a good little car with a really great engine/drivetrain. I considered one back in 1998 when I was new-car shopping in (sales-tax-free) Oregon. I settled on a new Wrangler since it was such an improvement over my YJ, but it'd make a great 2nd car. I think the regular Outback is a better deal though, you can get it with close the same price and it has more room. Everybody and his brother drives a Subaru in Oregon, they handle wonderfully in the snow/rain.
    I know...I know...
    i need to get back at gills...
    I havent deserted ya...just been on the busy side..
    At least you tried to install that CB yourself..
    IM gonna try it too..I think I can do it.
    So everyone saying run power straight from the battery?.. I know you would get engine hum from the fuse box but..wouldnt that be easier to do?
    Im a klutz like you tom....
    will 2 klutz make a right?

Keep jeepin
    Bamatazz
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    I would love to see an update of the boring dash and instrument panel. Maybe go retro and put the big speedometer back in the middle with the other indicators and put the tack on the column. Works well for the mini.

The bumbers are kind of bland, but at least they are metal. How many vehicles can make that claim.
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I have a 98 SE (4 cyl, obviously!!), manual. I have 15 x 8 inch alloy wheels with P235 70R15 BFG's. I need to replace the tires, and am curious as to how big I can go with the old wheels and no lift. 31 x 9.5 x 15? Or will this cause some sort of performance or interference problem? Thanks for the help!
    Thanks for the good words about the Forester. The test drive went very well - I really liked it. It looks like what we should do. I definitely think it would be a better solution for us than getting a second Wrangler.

I did take a peek at the WRX they had in the showroom. It was a close call for practicality and price to win out!

A friend of mine always said that there was something about the inline 6 that made it more efficient than a V6 of comparable size. Is that really true?

The couple of times I did installs on CBs in other vehicles, I ran from the fuse box. I did have engine hum the last time. I vaguely remember something about putting in a resistor on the line or something to help with that, but ended up pulling it out before I ever really checked into that. It just seemed like I never used it. I still have it, as a matter of fact, and have occasionally thought about putting it in the Wrangler (or just seeing if it works), but won't do it myself. The times I did it myself I did a job that was functional - not good.

As far as antennas - oceantoad would probably remember this more than I do, but I remember that the Army used some sort of chained on mount around the bumper for their radio antennas, and then a tie down on the front because they were so long. Could you do something like that with a CB antenna? Would save drilling holes in the bumper.
    Red:

I have the Canyon wheels, which are also 8", and I run 31 x 10.50 BFG's on my Jeep. I have no lift or anyting either. I get no rub whatsoever, but I have never disconnected sway bars, so I don't know if I would get a run like that or not.

Oh, my Jeep is a 2001 Sport, but that shouldh't matter. If the 31 x 10.50's work on my Jeep, they should on yours too.

Tom

• stlovestlove Member Posts: 1
    Finally scratched the itch (in December) and was it ever satisfying! This board and your comments helped a lot. Had wanted a Wrangler for many years but caught the full blown fever about a year ago. It was to be a second car for me so practicality didn't matter. Still I didn't want to waste my money and find I didn't like it. I'm 6'5" and my other car is a big truck with lots of comforts and I feared that the lack of security would be a pain. The Jeep has been so much fun that I hardly notice any negatives. I drive it every chance I get. I don't leave anything in it that can't be replaced and sometimes that requires planning ahead. Living in Fla I find the soft top useful, but have it off most the time. Just added a safari bikini top by Best Top and it adds some protection from the sun, leaves and birds while it's parked all day. Still cruising topless is the best. Bought the Jeep used (a '99) with 25000 miles. The previous owner had added 4" Skyjacker lift and 33" tires, a Warn winch, stereo and subwoofer, and other extras. I felt bad taking the previous owner's baby, but he had a change of lifestyle and couldn't keep it. Anyway, I'm glad to be among you as an owner and a poster. And may look for advice on some of the future modifications I'd like to perform. Would love to post a picture once I find the proper procedure. So thanks for listening and let me assure you, if you have the itch to the point where you turn your head at every Wrangler that passes and wish it was you diving it, there is only one thing for you to do. First chance you get - take the plunge!
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    I received this Web link in an e-mail message from Jeep on January 12, 2002. I hope if will help answer questions many of the Wrangler fans in this thread seem to have about the Rubicon and 2003 Wranglers. I am on a list of confirmed buyers of the new 2003 Rubicon and therefore receive these types of e-mails.

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/gallery/photo_gallery.html?rubicon

As you can see from the specification the drive train still consist of the great I-6 and solid Dana axles front and back. They told me on the phone that the regular 2003 Wrangler will be the same. Although Jeep has been 'thumb nailing' the move of the Wrangler to the Liberty platform but the timeframe keeps getting pushed back. I did hear that it now looks like 2005 or so now. I will findout more specifically from some of my manufacturer sources at DC and elsewhere in the next few months.

Please check out the link with it wealth of specs, pictures and audio feeds from Jeep product engineering.

I will be one happy camper when I get my new 2003 Rubicon.

Cheers!

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    For reasons I needn't go into, I would like to buy a soft top TJ and then get rid of it in @7-8 months. I'm leaning toward buying a 1997-1998 Sport 5 speed, but a local dealer has a brand new 2001 SE manual that he is eager to move- for $2000 or more under invoice. My educated guess(and gut feeling) is that the used route will result in much less of a depreciation hit(I plan to put no more than 4000 miles on it). Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your new Jeep and we look forward to hearing lots more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tom:
    Thanks for the input. I'm going shopping tomorrow, and will lean towards the 31 inchers. My baby came with the plain stock wheels (again, the SE version) so it looked like a Red military model! The alloys and bigger tires helped immensely; I can only imagine what 31 inch tires will do! Two years into it, and the boys and I still love it! May look into Camp Jeep this year in Missouri. Anyone with Camp Jeep experience like to comment? RR15
    Sounds like a fantastic Jeep! Congratulations!

Glad to hear you are going to be an active poster too. It gets way too quiet in here sometimes.

Tom

Oh, you can post your pic in the photo gallery here in the Jeep Owners Club. Just go to the first post in the gallery, and it tells you how to post. Of course, you will have to have those pics hosted somewhere on the internet or on your own web page.
    Tom:
    Thanks for the input. I'm going shopping tomorrow, and will lean towards the 31 inchers. My baby came with the plain stock wheels (again, the SE version) so it looked like a Red military model! The alloys and bigger tires helped immensely; I can only imagine what 31 inch tires will do! Two years into it, and the boys and I still love it! May look into Camp Jeep this year in Missouri. Anyone with Camp Jeep experience like to comment? RR15
    Oh man, I looked at your profile and didn't see am email address. I hope you come back here to this message board before you buy some tires.

I might have given you some bad info. I should have told you to find out how much backspacing your current wheels have. Just cause they are 8" and my Canyons are 8" inches does not mean that we can run the same width tires. I am pretty sure the Canyons have 5.5" of backspacing, so as long as yours have no more than that, you should be able to run 10.50's. If they have less than that, then you could possibly even run wider tires than I could.

I know some people run 12.50's on 8" rims, but the backspacing is what determines what you can run on a particular vehicle.

Hope I haven't messed you up, but I guess whoever mounted the tires would have told you. It might have been after they were mounted and balanced, though, and they might have charged you extra.

Sorry, Red!

Tom

Tom:
    Not a problem. I intend to ask the tire technicians the same question before I buy. Just hoping to get some direction from the group prior to shopping. BTW, I also updated my profile; hadn't realized that part was 'private'. I doubt that 10.5's will push the envelope too far, but they should look pretty good. Guess I'm not yet radical enough to pursue the lift thing, or spring for mega wheels and tires! RED
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I'm jealous....as I've told everybody that has already gotten a jeep of their own. If I may ask how much? I'm planning on putting my Firechicken (firebird) up for sale within the next week or so to put aside for a downpayment hopefully by the late summer/early fall. I'm heavily leaning towards the X model: Red exterior/camel interior, full doors/console, automatic, soft tan top/with tinted windows (although I may go with the hard top by the time I either order or find what I want on the lot), am/fm stereo w/CD player, Ecco group, convenience group etc. I like the looks of the Rubicon, but I fear that the price will be way too much for me to handle. Heck, I'm not even sure I can handle the price of the X model. But I'm gonna work two jobs if I have to, to get the Jeep I've wanted for SO long. What is the price you got yours for and what all do you have on it? Again, congrats and remember for us that are still waiting for our Jeepies (newly born Jeeps [I know oh brother]), so POST PHOTOS PLEASE! :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;-)

dwrangler
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    At the risk of making some jealous, I will be purchasing my new Rubicon under the Chrysler retiree and employee purchase plan. That means that I will be purchasing it for a guaranteed price that is a few % under true dealer cost. My step father is a Chrysler retiree.

As for pricing, I got some basic input from Jeep factory personnel last week that suggested that there could be approximately a five thousand dollar option spread over the base Wrangler X. I am not sure where that would put the Rubicon in relation to the Wrangler Sport.

Cheers,

Jim Fletcher
    Congrats on the Rubi! Yeah, I'm jealous. Who wouldn't be? When are you supposed to get it? What color and what options? Talk dirty to us!

Tom

• larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Looks like Camp Jeep should be a great time for all the family from what I gather. Plus it is too close to OK to miss! Just 20 short miles north of Branson, MO. I am definitely planning to attend.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Same here. I'm in Fort Smith so its not far. My first one, so looking forward to seeing what its all about.
    Now I am jealous.

My Dad is 76. I was thinking I might try to get him hooked up with Chrysler. :)
  • desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    Hi ya'll, I bought my '02 Jeep Wrangler X back in January, but just this past weekend, I started
    looking at the town hall discussion groups here on Edmunds. I just want to say that it is so
    AWESOME listening to everyone talk about their jeep, their mods, or whatever. It makes me feel great to know that I'm not alone in my gratitude for having my jeep. At first I was a little
    skeptical because of the whole soft top thing and I kind of had my heart set on a Durango, but now I just LOVE my wrangler. It was supposed to be my wife's car, but I loved it so much that I decided to keep it. Well, here are some of my details: 5 speed, soft top, radio/CD, 7 spks incl subwoofer, stock everything else. Please educate me on things that will help me enjoy my baby for all time!
    Welcome to the group! Glad you found us, and congratulations on that new Jeep!

Hey, you didn't even tell us what color you got???

Post often and be part of us here. You are "one of us" now.

Tom

Congrats guys on those jeeps...
    Welcome to the family!!
    I know you will love them,,,
    James..you rubicon is on order..WOW
    i didnt know you could place order this early...
    HEY dwrangler...finally gonna do it?... HURRY up girl!! Get out there start shopping.
    GETTING WARMER out there..time for topless season(TAZZ not me)
    Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
    Since you are keeping this one, are you going to get another one for the wife?:)
  • doc55doc55 Member Posts: 1
    Have 1999 Wrangler Sahara 5 spd manual, a/c, hard and soft tops with only 9,842 miles. Leased brand new in August, 1999. Three more payments of $389.99, disp fee is $250 and residual value is $14,542.00. I hate to hand them back a brand new car. Any ideas?