Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• Another non-flattering article, in fact quite harsh. Just another subjective viewpoint.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil8- - - dec08,0,390104.story?coll=la-class-autos-highway1
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    That's got to be the funniest car review I've ever read. Maybe it's not accurate or objective, but I really appreciate the author's writing skills. Maybe he's an out-of-work screen writer or sitcom writer!
  • riker2riker2 Posts: 36
    Actually, Dan Neil won the Pulitzer Prize for criticism this year. He's really a pretty amazing writer, even if he's not a fan of the Five Hundred.
  • I don't know about his not being a fan of the Five Hundred but he certainly is not constrained about the Montego in his profile of the car. I thought his humorus quip, "The seat itself feels like one of those extra-high hospital toilets. Where is the nurse call button?", was funny.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,715
    "it's about as sexy as going through your mother's underwear drawer." to me, that says a lot about the reviewer. they actually thought they could make a point with that. i guess i would like to see a favorable review from that writer, too.

'superb redesign of the focus?' huh?

just saw the 'criticism' post. maybe it should have been for sarcasm.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    my only gripe with the car is - it's underpowered. Not that I can not live with that. A little power and insulation would be great. But, if incentives will lower price to 19-20G's i'll go for it. I still would prefer Zephyr, though.
  • While the 500/Montego looks great on paper, the Grand Marquis has a long, impressive track record of comfort, reliability, and durability, all at an impressively affordable price. There is nothing else like it on the road. At this point, I'd have to go with a GM over a Montego, but my 94 Grand Marquis just keeps on truckin' along, neraly as good as new - it could be a long time before that decision would have to be made. They kill the Grand Marquis, and there is nothing really unique that Ford offers, so I will have to shop around.

I used to own a 92 Taurus, and I learned the hard way Ford doesn't design the automobile platforms like they used to. I hope the new 500 proves me wrong, and turns out to be an excellent, durable product, but it doesn't have a 25 year record like the Grand Marquis.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Since the Freestyle is the heaviest of the group, a Five Hundred or Montego should be able to do better than the 8.2 seconds to sixty listed in the full review of the Freestyle published by Car & Driver in their January issue. I know that Car & Driver tends to obtain the fastest acceleration results of the major testing companies, but they published 8.1 seconds to sixty for the '94 V8 Thunderbird we once owned, and it was fast enough .

I wonder if C&D is waiting until the new Avalon is out to do a full test report on the Five Hundred/Montego?

I have had a few minutes to read some car discussions and post a few comments and questions, but December has turned out to be a very busy month, so will not be able to drive a Montego again until January. Has anyone else been successful in finding a dealer who will allow a longer test drive (maybe 60 - 80 miles round trip)?

I have crossed off of my list the Chrysler 300C (trunk too small, ugly, popular with gangsters), the Dodge Magnum (ditto, plus I don't want another wagon/SUV).

The big trunk, good looks, good visibility, safety features, and feature content the same as my Mountaineer still give me reason to keep considering the Montego. The only other vehicles still on my list are the new Toyota Avalon and Honda Ridgeline.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    FLASH: Factory installed in vehicle navigation systems are OBOSOLETE i feel sorry for any sucker that recently spent at least $1500 to over $2000 for the same thing you can get on your Nextel phone...

http://www.telenav.net/telenavnextel

E911 regs require all cell phones built after 2002 to be GPS so I'm sure other carriers will be providing this service in the futre.

OH and the Ford Nav system on the Expedition is PAIN I'm glad I don't have to give many lessons on how to use it.

Mark
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I think people really need to keep in mind the whole purpose of the 500 when they are talking about it.

This car is all about getting alot of car for you money and I think it more than delivers in the value catagory ESPECIALLY as an SE or SEL.

People keep bashing on Ford but as you read this, Ford is on the way to becoming the LARGEST producer of AWD passenger cars. This is the AUDI of the masses.

Yes there are some glaring oversites I can't for the life of me figure out why there is no AdvancTrac espeically after the recent study about how stabilty control can cut accidents by over 50% in SUVs...NOTE that AdvanceTrac with RSC is STANDARD in Explorer.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/809790.html

But if you look at the Taurus then look at the cars the Five Hundred goes head to head against (the Impala, the 300 touring, etc), I think this is a great entry.

In the final analysis though, Ford is all about trucks and SUVs.

At my dealership, we have no 2005 Mustangs (sell the same day they arrive) 4 Crown Vics (not counting CVPIs), 8 2004 Mustangs, 12 Five Hundreds and about 20 Focuses.

We then have over 30 Escapes, 50 F-150s and over 80 Explorers.

Yeah we have Freestars but there isn't much interested there.

Mark
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Why no Advance Trac? Simple. Ford can only get the parts to build so many right now. Those parts, understandably, are going first to SUV's and trucks...

Ford still remembers, no doubt with some bitterness, how many Focii they sold with the stability system you could get at the time. I think the number was more than four but less than pleasing...

Yes, the Five Hundred is in a different class. And the time will come when you can get Advance Trac. It ain't now, though.
  • n144gn144g Posts: 7
    I have been driving the Montego Premier AWD for about a month ( i just posted about my very pleasant buying experience on the "prices paid" forum). Anyway, I have to laugh when I read some of the comments and reviews out there. If someone is looking for a sports car then buy a sports car. If they are looking for a family sedan then this is a terrific car. We have absolutely no acceleration problems, plenty of merging and passing power, lots of room for the kids items, and (what sold us on the car) great visibility compared to other models we test drove. Sometimes I wonder if car designers are so involved in "looks" they forget that a driver has to see out in ALL directions to drive. Anyway, all in all, I feel i made a good choice and the car is terrific

My only complaints are the small touches that cost the auto maker next to nothing but creates a much nicer feeling for the customer instead of a "why is the manufacterer so stupid" feeling.

Those improvements would be lights in the glove box and under the hood, optional navigation system, optional stability control, and lighted controls for radio,etc. Small complaints but it would leave the driver with a much nicer feeling about the manufacturer. Well, hope my review helps some people out there.
    what mpg city/highway do you get on your GM?
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    I've been driving a Crown Vic for several years, they ceratinly are extremely durable, reasonably comfortable, and surprisingly economical. But they don't use space very efficiently -- for that reason alone I'd go with the Montego. I do mostly urban driving, the CV/GM are a real pain to park, they're wider and longer than almost any other cars on the market, I can't even fit one into my garage and get out the door! The GM/CV trunk is huge, it's fine for luggage or shoeboxes, but its awkward depth and lack of a fold down rear seat or even a pass-through make it real pain if you make a trip to the home centre to pick up building or maintenance supplies. Not to mention that I can't even fit my dad's wheelchair in the CV's trunk! Add to that the Montego's better handling, superior rear seat room and more comfortable seating position along with excellent crash scores that promise good structural integrity and it seems like a much better car for most people.
    GM/CV has proven build quality. Montego's predecessor, Tauras was a problem (some of you might know it's cozy Jewish nickname - Tsures - what loosely could be translated from Yiddish as 'disaster'). What reliability Montego, with it's 6 speed or CVT trannies, AWD, etc. will have, still remains to be found out. Also, none of the above sound like inexpensive to fix problems. CV/GM, on the other hand, is not bullet-proof, but reasonably reliable and cheap to fix & maintain. I just wonder what mileage it get per gallon and how I can convince my wife to get one for her. So far she fights tooth and nail, says about "Driving Miss Daisy", etc.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Not all Tauri have been disasters. I'm on my second, and admittedly do not put high miles on in a short time,I do about 10K per year. But my 1990 Taurus was an excellent car for the ten years and 98K miles I had it, and my 2000 Taurus is going great at 4+ years and 43K miles. Unlike some of the Camcords reports of recent vintage, I have not had a single rattle or squeak develop in either of my Tauri.

Yes, I missed some of the Taurus intermediate years where Ford had head gasket issues (only the 3.8 L engine) and had some transmission problems. But, by and large Taurus has been a very good car for a lot of people. I wish they kept the name and tacked it onto the new Fusion due for release next fall, but with Ford's corporate decision to start all Sedans with "F", the name is going away.

Taurus simply blew away the competition in innovations, features, handling, and performance, back when it was introduced.

I won't be in the market for 5-6 years, so by then I will have a choice of a Fusion or Five Hundred, which will have had several years history under their belt by then.

I expect Five Hundred will prove to be a very reliable vehicle, even from the first model year.
    ...and Taurus is NOT the Five Hundred/Montego's predecessor. Taurus/Sable will be replaced by the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. Five Hundred/Montego were most probably originally slated to replace the CV/GM, back in Jack Nasser's day. Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed, Nasser is gone, and the Panthers live on to be sold to the faithful, all at a tidy profit for the Ford Motor Company.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    I wonder if Ford would ever consider putting a front bench seat and column shifter in the 500? This would be a huge selling point with my wife.

I know... some would be offended, but it is a family-hauling sedan.
    I doubt it seriously. Airbag configurations and safety concerns are rapidly making bench seats a thing of the past. The coming Toyota Avalon will not have a bench seat available either. The center position is almost impossible to protect to the same degree as the outboard positions, not to mention there are safety concerns about interference with the driver....
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    That is correct, airbag configurations are making bench seating harder to integrate. Ironically, at a few car shows, all the Buick LaCrosse' were displayed with the bench seats.... THEN they are wondering why the average customer age keeps increasing, and THIS for a car they wish to target younger buyer's with.

And no the 500 will not have bench seating...This because of some structural reinforcements running through the mid-section of the vehicle that would simply make it quite difficult to do.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    and still driving...with the help of my cane of course. Too bad about the bench, as an option it would certainly be attractive to some older customers.

Thanks for the info.

I swapped my truck for a friends 500 for a day. Really did not feel a lack of power at all with only one person in the car. I almost think that the seating makes you feel like the car is going slower than it actually is. SEL with 6 speed was not a tire burner but seemed to go very well from about 30mph on. This without winding the motor up at all.

I am sure a Lincoln model would easily satisfy those that want all the extra gadgets.
    There will be 2 Lincoln versions... Or more like, the platform will be used to make 2 different vehicles.
  • ANT, I hope that Lincoln isn't going to do a couple of large front drive cars. Do you think these will be AWD only? I assume it's not feasible to adapt this platform to RWD. IMO, Lincoln really needs RWD in their higher end vehicles. I thought a stretched LS platform would have made more sense, but of course I have no information about the economics involved.

I suppose an AWD V8 (Yamaha?) version of the 500 with heavy styling changes could be an appealing car...
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Detractors here seem to diss the 500/Montego because it's bland (like the Camry/Accord/Avalon), utilitarian (same thing), slower than a Mustang GT (same thing), so let's see..... It's moderately styled, just like the best selling cars in America, it's underpowered and economical, just like the best selling cars in America, but it's larger inside, it's actually faster, since the CamCords come with 4bangers standard, and it's far more comfortable with the high seating position, and has a much larger trunk than the largest selling cars in America. Where's the beef folks? Seems like Ford has hit a home run to me....

I think Ford has a real winner here myself. Once again, as Ford usually does, I think Ford has revolutionalized and redesigned the Sedan. Soon, everybody will be building tall, efficient sedans. Just you watch. What else has Ford invented, redesigned? The Pony car, (Mustang), the SUV (66 Bronco, although I'll get arguments from Jeepsters about this one, but with the success of the Explorer, I can debate it). The Thunderbird, Ford has been the undisputed Wagon King forever, until Wagons just died altogether, then there's the Pick-up truck. The F-150 is the truck everybody copies, including Toyota and Nissan. The Lincoln Navigator invented the Luxury SUV segment and everyone laughed their butts off for about a year.....oops..... I could go on but I'm boring even myself. I would bet the 500 will soon become the standard by which all future Sedan designs become measured by. Toyota may build a better copy of it someday, that's what they tend to do - but they have a winner here, IMO. It's an incredible design. Were I in the market for a mainstream Sedan, I'd buy it right now. And I will look at the Lincoln offspring very closely.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I have read on other message boards that salesmen are saying that potential customers are turned off by the CVT in these cars. People aren't usd to them and think that the transmission is slipping.
  • Theres not very many people at Ford who really feel the Lacrosse is competitive. They really dropped the ball interior wise and I think their marketing departments really to blame for that and the design department as well.

As for the Five Hundred im not tottaly satisifed with the end result. Dont get me wrong I love the car, but we could of done better interior wise and i think youll see that in the next generation as well as the update in 07'.

The lincoln model wont look like the Five Hundred itll be riding on the same platform to reduce use scale of economies, but itll project luxury and elegance. The current lincolns dont really reflect the 08-11M.Y lincolns. Thats about all Im going to say for right now at least. Make sure to check out the coming Detroit Auto Show youll like the lincoln motorcycle.
  • the customers who buy the CVTs really like them, but the ones that dont are really turned off by them. The good thing is that from initial observations theyre now going to demand a CVT in their next vehicle.
    Like, for instance, me.

Of course, that assumes reliability is proven by then. If not, all bets are off!
    Frizz,

Stretched LS = Jag XJ, that alternative couldn't be implemented. The new Lincoln sedans will be AWD, and no it wouldn't make much sense to make them RWD, when AWD is better. All depends on the AWD that is used. As for the V8 engine, that's still being worked out. Currently the details are being placed together, the engineering begins. Wait another year and more information will be shared.

The new entry sedan, the Zephyr (NOT a replacement for the LS though), will also have the option of AWD as well. You will soon start seeing AWD being implemented into many of Ford's sedans.
    (including, I hope, the Fusion...mutter, mutter)
This discussion has been closed.