Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• hopper1hopper1 Member Posts: 25
    I have 2000 Sahara hard top, hard doors/bikini top
    with auto, 30" wheel group. Have nearly 3000 miles. 800 miles on long trip. Have had no problems with my Wrangler. I sold a 1994 4C, 5sp . Never had problem with that Jeep other then a Cat Convert. was replaced under warranty. There is no comparison between 2000 and 1994. The ride is so much smoother, the hard doors, even with the hard top off help alot to cut down on noise. My son thinks the 2000 is "to nice" "to pretty". He thinks rough ride and Jeep Wrangler should be interchangable. I hope my luck with the Wrangler continues. I know from my sister the horror of the newer JGC's, talk about quality control!!!! By the way I passed on a 1999 JGC, bought a Lexus RX 300, no problems with that choice, quality. Bottom line, I love my Wrangler. Get the 6C, hard doors, with the soft top and get the hard top. I never thought I would like the auto, ordered it because it was "free" and re resale consideration. Slap me, maybe I'm getting old but I really like the auto with the 6C. Just my opinion. Thanks.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    less than 1/2 as loud as earlier ST's. -3.1dB.
  • cookwcookw Member Posts: 12
    Well, aside from not knowing the proper name, has anyone had any experience with the relatively new type of aftermarket hardtop whereby you can remove half of it, the panel above the passenger area? These seem like a great idea, but I was wondering about fit and finish.
    Thanks ...
  • pdgupdgu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport and I am unfamiliar as to how I can remove the doors. I think I know how to, but I didn't want to break anything by fiddling with it. Can anyone advise me on how to remove the doors without breaking the glass and scratching the paint? =)

Thanks in advance,

Paul
  • jeepguy69jeepguy69 Member Posts: 4
    all you do is open them take off the nut and lift. you just have to be careful to keep from scratching the paint. also you will need mirror relocating brackets. you can get them at www.jcwitney.com

mike:)
  • wukillahbeewukillahbee Member Posts: 1
    anyone know if the filter that crutchfield uses to buy speakers for jeeps to see if they will fit is any good? anyway have any good results from them? any thoughts on blaupunkt speakers?

also, the website is www.jcwhitney.com , jeepguy69 forgot the h...quadratec.com is good too...

thanks for the help
  • dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    I replaced the factory speakers in my wrangler this weekend and I went with "Polk" 5 1/4 in the sound bar and 4x6 in the dash. It sounds much cleaner, but I don't get much base.
    I don't want any box in the trunk because it's an invitation for thieves.
    It costed me $220 and I installed them my self.
  • dylanbobdylanbob Member Posts: 1
    If someone owns a new Wrangler with the full console (which includes two cup holders for the rear seat passenger) can you answer a question please? Does the cup holder interfere with sitting in the back seat? The recent pictures seem to show that it is in the way of your feet or it limits your ability to move around in the back seat. Is this the case? Also, what's new with the dash board if anything?
    The cup holders for the rear seat do not interfere with sitting in the back seat. Beside I don't really care about my back seat passengers. If they're not happy they can find a ride somewhere else.
    I personnally like that idea because I always keep a cup with loose change for the tools and parking. It leaves me with the 2 front holders, one for my cell phone and one for my cofee.

As far as the instruments, they relocated the head lights and the fog lights all in one with your blinkers. I think the numbers are a little bigger, but you get the same instruments.

Dennis
  • blackjeep1blackjeep1 Member Posts: 6
    I just called to see when my 2001 is going to be done and they said that I should have it by mid October, I can't wait until I receive it. Hey Dennis, how is your jeep treating you, did you get your problem solved with your computer system?
    Yes my computer was fix and it runs great. I really love it! I did some mild off roading last weekend and it was a lot of fun.

Dennis
  • kmq102kmq102 Member Posts: 9
    I know I keep asking the same question but I am thinking of putting Kenwood eXcelon speakers in. 4x6's up front ($99.95/pair) and 6 1/2's in the back ($179.95/pair). People keep saying the 6 1/2's will fit but is it an easy fit or do I need to make some mods? Please advise! I really want to upgrade soon. Thanks
    When I bought my 5 1/4" for my sound bar, I tried to fit the 6 1/2's and the screws wouldn't lined up. I don't think you'll get much of a difference between the two any way.
  • bstone2bstone2 Member Posts: 5
    Go for the 6 1/2" speakers in the sound bar - the holes may not exactly match but it is pretty easy just to drill a whole or two to make the fit - also, go to Circuit City or your local stereo shop and listen to the difference between 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 speakers - I spent alot of time doing this - there is a noticeable difference. K-mart sells some good high quality Pioneer 6 1/2 speakers - buy em ($60 or so) - take them home - and see if they fit - with a little work on your part - if not - return for full refund - simply unscrew the speaker cover plate - and disconnect the speaker wire - check the hole alignment - drill new hole if necessary and install. Have fun.
  • sauersauer Member Posts: 1
    Got the 2001 Wrangler brochure yesterday and it looks like the extra ply soft top does not fold very flush to the body. Pictures show alot of frame and fabric exposed. Wondered if the boot accessory would even fit over it.

Also, drove a 4 cyl automatic. What a dog. Absolutely no pick up on the expressway. Had to keep it alnost floored to do 70. The shift from 2nd to 3rd was at almost 5000 rpms. Sounded like it was going to explode. Need an automatic and would love not to spend the $3K premium for the Sport. After the test drive, I don't think I have an option,
  • softtop1softtop1 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a maintenance difference between a tan soft top and a black one? I am planning to buy a 2000 Wrangler Sport and am deciding on colors. Does either color hold up better? What is the "life " a soft top?
  • tylenol7tylenol7 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 SE - Manual 5 speed - the power is good, but when I hit 3rd - I hear a ringing almost like gear slop and it cintinues thru the gears until I hit at least 3000 rom or even off - Normal?
    I don't think the life expectency of the black versus tan is any different. I got the black because my paint is red and all the trims like bumpers, fenders, mirrors and top is black and I personnally like the way it looks.
    It's only a matter of preferences...

Let me give you an advice to keep your plastic windows looking like new for a long time. Never use soap or windex on your windows. Rinse them off with water, let them dry and then use "Pledge with lemon" inside and outside with a very soft 100% cotton rag. NO paper towels.
    Also store them as flat as possible. I store my rear side windows under the back seat. I lift and flip the back seat, lay them flat and then put the seat back in place. There's just enough space betweeen the floor and the bottom of the rear seat. Don't roll them up.
    If you do that, your windows are gonna look like new for a long time.

Dennis
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I ordered a 2001 Wrangler (Steel Blue, Sport, Dual Tops, I-6, 5-spd) a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website where you can check on the status of the order.
  • drumdogdrumdog Member Posts: 3
    Hey I have a 97 TJ sport and am wanting to put a 3" lift and Edlebrock IAS shocks. What is the best 3" lift kit to use for a 97 jeep that will be used only for residential driving?

A second question, as far as tires and wheeld go I am currently looking at BG Goodrich all-terrain tires and American Racing wheels. Are these good choices for the jeep. And what are some other good choices to look at?
  • jim222jim222 Member Posts: 8
    I removed the factory 30 inch Goodyear tires from my 99 Wrangler Sport and replaced them with 31 inch Michelin LTX M/S. The Michelin's are much quieter, got it off the ground further, and I gained about one mile per gallon on fuel mileage. The Goodyear tires started to flatspot after sustained high speeds. I took them off at 12K. I did have to go one tooth less on the speedo gear to make up the inch difference in tire size.
  • y2k_jeepy2k_jeep Member Posts: 6
    I put on a Teraflex 3" lift kit and I am very happy with it. A little more expensive ... but worth the money

I went with 33 X 12.5 X 15 Dunlop Mud Terrain. A little loud, but great for off-road. I also went with the American Racing steel rims ... have been working out great.

I have had the upgrade for about three months .. and would not have done anything different.
    is not complete. The problem is to find a place to mount that CB inside a small TJ.
    I found the Cobra 75WXST.
    www.electronicsouthpost.com/75wxst.html
    www.hi-techcomm.com/cobra/75wxst.html
    It's perfect for the TJ. Everything is in the microphone. When your done you can just disconnect and store it away in your locking box.

I'm also gonna put a K40 antenna but I'm not sure where I should mount it.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Dennis
    Hey Blackjeep,
    Did you get your Jeep yet? Is it on the train?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I mounted my antenna on the spare tire rack. I have seen them mounted on the mirror and off the side of the hood. Those two spots may be better. If you are in trails though, I like the idea of the antenna being in the center.
    Here is a link to install I used.
    http://home.flash.net/~ffoster/frames.htm
    I am having problems with my setup. I think I just need to tune my antenna. It works just have a high swr rating. I have a 3ft firestick
  • blacksheep1blacksheep1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2000 Sahara, can't figure out how to activate light under hood. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I personally don't think an alarm will prevent anybody from stealing your Jeep or your stereo.

Think about it, what do you do if you hear an alarm going off in the parking lot? Usually look away.

I would love to come up with a way of releasing pepper spray, maze and tear gas inside the vehicle when someone tries to steal it. If he doesn't exit the vehicle within one minute, a needle would come out of the seat and puts him asleep for a couple hours. The doors would then become lock and impossible to open from the inside.

Food for tought...

I think I watched too many James Bond movies...
  • krankitkrankit Member Posts: 6
    I'll be picking up my 2001 Wrangler in a few weeks - Sport model pretty much loaded. With the negative stories I've read here I'm wondering if I've made the right decision! Has anyone had any long-term success stories? I mean 100,000 to 200,000 miles without major problems.

I've wanted a Jeep for as long as I can remember; I finally decided that it was time to get one. Besides, my 92 Saturn with 202,000 miles is running out of steam, and I need a new ride.

I truly hope I don't get a POS. For the money I spent it had better be perfect! Is that too much to expect from a Wrangler??? The only other Chrysler product I've ever owned was an 87 Omni which, other than the 2.2 engine (which after 160,000 miles ran like new), was pretty much junk. I know I can't compare an Omni to a Jeep...or can I?
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Hi everyone. Went to a dealer today and found a '99 white Sport with 22,124 miles on it. Was previously a lease car, so it's in great condition. It has cruise control, soft top, air, automatic, am/fm/cassette, 30" wheel group, spare, sound bar and full doors. I might have missed something, but that's about it. Edmunds said that it would be $17,000 but Kelley's said $21,000. The dealer's offering $18,950. Is this a good price? What does everyone(except for boggleboes) think? He says that the white has a good resale value. True? Thanks! -alee
  • jeepguy69jeepguy69 Member Posts: 4
    all wranglers have good resale value no matter what color they are. try to get closer to the price edmunds gave. The only things i would reccomend are get another color (white shows alot of dirt) and the 5 spd(3speed auto saps all kinds of power even though it has the 6cyl). then again that's more personal preference.
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I have a cool 2000 Sport, no probs. I think this site really helped me decide and has given me a place to look for answers. I enjoy reading all these posts. Its too bad some jackels with no social skills have gotten hold of computers and found this site. I hate to lower myself to their level of name-calling, but come on people....

It takes a certain level of class to express yourselves with respect for others.
    Why not buy a new one?

I would get D44 axle and track-lok if you plan on off-roading.

I like to compare dealership prices to the jeeps in classifieds. Find a similiar one and see how close they are.
    Have you used the lemon law?
    Have you tried another dealership?

just wondering
  • rkerstinrkerstin Member Posts: 1
    Your underhood light should go on automatically when you open the hood. It might be out or not hooked up right. Under warranty right? Maybe you'll need to make a trip to your dealer.
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    When I opened the hood on my new Wrangler, the light did not work. I took the Jeep to the dealership and the problem was a faulty light bulb, and it was replaced for free. Hopefully this is what is wrong with your light also.
  • jasen2jasen2 Member Posts: 2
    I've found an '89 Wrangler with the 6 and auto.
    any suggestions with this purchase I can't decide what pros and cons should I take into account?
    I would really appreciate some input.
    Thanks
    A lot depends on the jeep. The price of the Jeep has a lot to do with the decision. Not knowing how much you have to spend, I am not sure whether a newer Jeep is in your budget or not and what your plans are for the Jeep. If you are wanting to do any offroading or live in a climate that has cold weather, you may want to find a 91 or newer. The older YJ's are not fuel injected, which makes them not run as well in changing climates and altitudes , also they do not run well on sharp inclines when offroading. Other than that, the 89 is much like the newer Jeeps.
  • jasen2jasen2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I appreciate your input.
    I did not know that which is very valuable since I live in everchanging Kansas and could be a problem. Other than that the jeep's in perfect shape body wise but I still don't know how the automatics run compared to the manual? But thanks for the knowledge.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I would watch out on any 87-90 jeep with the 4.2 engine. carb's on these go bad very easy ,and they also have a ton of vacuum lines that tend to leak as they get older ,and are very hard to find these leaks . As Onlyinajeep stated if you can find a 91 or newer fuel injected that would be the way to go .You say the body is perfect ,have you crawled under it? dont be fooled by a nice paint job,get under with a light and take a closer look .Has it been painted ,if so check for BONDO in the panels. one place to really keep an eye on is the back rear 1/4 panels ,put your hand up at the rear corners of each side you should feel a plastic shield ,pull the shield down and check the condition inside ,this is where lots of mud and guck collect and start to rust the body. If you are not sure on anything spend a few dollars now and have it checked out by a mechanic who knows jeeps ,as the money you spend now could be small compared to what you may spend in the future if you buy someone elses problem
  • rainman519rainman519 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 1991 wrangler, 79,000 mi. Looks great, no rust, hardtop. 4.0 liter, 5 speed, fender flares, soft top, bikini top, 2 extra wheels, after-market tires. Never been off-road. Guy's asking $9999.00. I think it's way to high. Any idea what I should pay for it? I'm thinking in the $7500-7900 range. Any comments?
    Don't get me wrong, I love my wrangler. I recently noticed, if I drive around for a while and then it iddles for 5-7 minutes. The time it usually takes to fill up, lower the top and wash the windows. (With the engine running) After I leave, the engine sounds like it's on 4L. But it's not. When I reach 2000rpm it sounds really loud and I have to shift right away. Same thing with 2nd, 3rd and fourth gear. I also doesn't get a lot of power. It sounds like I get a lot power because of the noise, but I don't.
    After a few minutes of normal driving, it will usually go away by it self. Or if I turn off the engine and let it cool down, then it will be OK.
    I need to remind you, I live in South Florida and it's very hot 90-95F. I don't think it should matter...

I called my service manager and explained the problem. He doesn't know what I'm talking about. Since it's an intermitent problem, I'm afraid it might be very difficult to find.

Help!
    Dennis
    I have a 2000 Sport 4.0. I live in Kansas and not too long ago it was very hot, 30+ days of 100+. During those days, if I sat in traffic or at a drive through, my Jeep also made the noises you describe when I would first take off after sitting. I had planned on taking it in, but now it is cold here and it will not do it. My Jeep would act like yours, the motor would rev higher than normal, make a lot of noise"as if I was really deep into the throttle", but the horse power would be weak, and after driving it about a minute, it starts to operate properly. If you find out what the problem is, please post it on this forum, I would really like to know.
    Manual vs. Automatic is a much debated topic for Jeep drivers. They are both good, depending on your preference. The only negative to an automatic is that is takes quite abit more power away than a manual, and gas mileage is not as good either. But, if you do a lot of city driving or rock climbing, the auto may be the way for you to go. I have not known many people to have much trouble with either the manual or automatic in the YJs. Just make sure to check the Jeep out well that you are planning on buying.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    First, (both of you), does the engine really rev high, i.e. does the tachometer show a dramatic increase, or does it just SOUND as if the revs are climbing?

Second, onlyinajeep, is yours a manual or auto?
    My jeep is a manual. The tach does not jump up significantly, but it holds the RPM's at a higher rate when this happens. What I mean is that when I take off after sitting, the engine will jump up to 3000 and stay there longer than normal. When it does this, the motor is really loud, sounds as if it were pushing a lot of air, and when this happens the acceleration and torque is low, even though the RPM's are high.
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Can someone tell me what the colors were for the '99s? I have found a dealership where I can get a "program" wrangler for 14,000 and am making a list of the options and colors I would like.
    -alee
    ps-someone asked "why not buy a new one?", and I just don't have that much money to spend(even on a great jeep!).
    Mine is also a 5 speed. The noise is when I reach 2000Rpm and up. I can be sitting at a light and rev up the engine up to 2000Rpm and I'll hear it. The engine won't jump up by it self. Sounds very much like dragonfly, it sounds like it's pushing a lot of air, the acceleration and torque is low.
    When this happens and I'm sitting at a light, the Rpm won't jump up at all. It stays normal at 1000.
    You know the way your motor sounds when you're on 4L. It sounds really strong with a lot of torque and low acceleration.
    That's exactly the way mine sounds, when I'm on 2H. So when this happens, I'll be shifting around 1800 or so because I don't want to break anything or make it worst.
    Like I said, it will go away by itself after a few minutes.
    I also looked at all my instruments, and they're all normal.

Dennis :-(
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I guess I should have asked if you both have the I-6 as well. However, let's make some assumptions; that you both have the same engine and that as well as having the same symptoms, you both have the same problem.

If, as dpage says, he has the symptoms while revving the engine at a light, then it's not related to the clutch or gearbox. If the clutch was slipping there would be a rise in engine rpm and a lack of acceleration, but the vehicle would have to be moving to demonstrate this.

So, the most likely culprit for an increase in engine noise, together with a lack of power, would be either an exhaust leak or an intake leak. The higher the temperature the greater the likelyhood of mating surfaces warping. The I-6 has had a history of broken exhaust manifolds in the past, but from the way you describe the noise I would guess at an intake leak being the most likely cause.

Does that sound as though it makes sense to you? It's something that's easily fixed in either case, and will be covered by warranty anyway. Make sure to let us all know how you get on.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Fan clutch is engaging, pulling tons of air thru radiator for a few minutes (sounds like, well, a giant fan is running under the hood) until the fan clutch detects that it is cool enough and allows the fan to freewheel on the water pump shaft.

Fan probably takes about 10 hp to run, so your engine will give you much less acceleration.

The newer fan clutches use a silicone fluid which "gells" at a very small temp change, like between 205 and 210F. The engine computer might detect this load and increase the throttle setting to maintain idle. Everything is working correctly.

Idling or high load conditions (up hill, towing) will raise the temp under the hood.

Do I win the nickel?
    I was wondering about that fan myself. The Jeep in question has the 4.0. My wife drives the 4 cylinder and it does not do this even on the hottest of days, it is a 1999. I have let the 4.0 run in the driveway on hot days and would pop open the hood to see if I could figure out why it makes such a noise and the fan was the only thing I could see that would create such a noise. If it is the fan, it sure is zapping a lot of power and response from the motor. Luckily, this only happens on the hottest of days and only for about a couple miles of driving, then the noise subsides and the power returns. I doubt that it will make the noise again until next summer, it is too cool here now for it to be duplicated. Hey dpage39525, have you ever let your Jeep run after you got home and opened the hood to see what is making the noise? I would really like to check out my Jeep again, but it is cold here and I can't get my Jeep hot enough, so maybe you could check yours to see if maybe it is the fan clutch. That sounds like a very possible explanation, I hope so anyway.