Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Tazz, one word of advise NEVER BUT NEVER PAY by money order! If you want a record that they cannot argue with, get a cashier's check from a bank if you don't write a check from your own account (if you have one that is). If you get a cashier's check from a bank they can't argue with that and they can't call both you and the bank liars. Banks don't like that one.

Well folks, I'm gonna do it. I'm really gonna sell the Firechicken (Firebird). I was going to get up early this morning and get started before; I put it in the AutoTrader; by calling into a local radio station that has a "yard sale" show and announcing that my bird is for sale. However I overslept....OOOOPS. Well, I breifly said something about selling the bird and using my Dad's old Ford F150 pickup truck til late summer/early fall; when I hopefully will have a sizeable downpayment for my Jeep; when I had a conversation during dinner with my parents and one of my brothers. My Dad seemed to be ok with that but I don't know for sure if he understood that I was going to use the truck for the summer and into the fall...I hope he's still ok with it when I sell the bird.

Guys, I've waited so long for my Jeep that the possibility of getting closer to my dream that I'm starting to get crazy! :) Keeping my sanity for the summer and some of the fall will really be stressing me out.

Bama, you've got my email right? I haven't got your sticker from your Jeep. I want it to give me some ideas.

Saharagal, I need your email address again...I don't know what I did with it but it got lost in the shuffel somewhere. If you don't have mine you can get it from tomster. He has it I know.

Well gotta go got homework to do.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    only problem with cashier's checks around here..
    they want to take it out of your checking account. You cant pay for one with cash, kinda defats the purpose of getting a cahier's check.
    Called the postal service they said I could put a trace on it to see if it was cashed. If not, they will issue another on 60 days from the purchase date.
    I though I had your email, I dont..im sorry..if you can get it to me please. I will send you invoice & sticker for Tazz.

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • jkedwardsjkedwards Member Posts: 2
    Hi from Maine,

I've had my 01' Steel Blue Sport with the canyon, dana 44, hooks and fog lights and black soft top with tinted windows for about a fun filled year and a half. My wife and I are moving back to Colorado. Does anyone have any ideas about putting a locker in the rear? I talked to a Jeep Tech here and he told me that he could put in the original for about $800. I also found on-line a company called PowerTrax; about $400 for the part. I plan on getting up in the mountains and doing some good jeeping. Keep in mind though, that it's my daily driver. I definitely want the added posi traction. I'm also planning on installing cruise control for a more comfortable ride across this great to our new home. It's been a blast driving my jeep around. Nothing like driving down the road with the top down and the sun in your face.

Happy 4X4 trails
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I assume that was your first post here? I don't remember ever having heard from you. If you are new, then WELCOME!

Moving to Colorado? Just stop by Kentucky and I will fall in behind you! I would LOVE to be moving to Colorado. You are lucky!

JK, there is a world of stuff to consider for a "locker." I am just getting into offroading, so I am by no means an expert. I will pass along what little I have learned, though.

First, the factory TracLoc is not a true locker. It is a limited slip, and it works off of clutch packs, which will eventually wear out. I am told that the Trac Loc is fine for snowy roads, but that it isn't a big help offroad.

If you want a true locker, then you have some choices, but basically they break down into two groups, automatic and selectable.

An automatic locker stays in all the time, and it ratchets arond corners, so that you can make your turns. I have heard that they have some quirks associated with them for highway driving. Their main advantage is that they are much cheaper than a selectable locker.

In the automatic category, there are several to choose from.

There are also after market limited slips that are better than the factory Trac Loc and I am sure would be cheaper. Some of these after market limited slips do not have clutch packs that would eventually wear out.

The two most commom selectable lockers from all I can gather are the OX and the ARB. The OX is cable actuated, and the ARBs are air actuated. You have to install an air compressor if you want to run an ARB locker.

You need to really assess what your needs are based on how you will use the Jeep. How radical are you going to be in your offroading?

Hope this helps, and if you want more than this general information, you need to talk to someone with more knowledge than I have.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • jkedwardsjkedwards Member Posts: 2
    Well Tom, I'll be the recreational off roader. I'd like to get up into those places in Colorado and do some exploring. I don't want to go with anything that would create any irritating noises as I make turns from my drive way. The simpler the better. My though on the traction device is not having to put it in 4 wheel drive every time I'm at a red light on a hill. I've noticed that if I want to get going during the winter, I have to engage 4 wheel drive. It sounds like I'd prefer the automatic type of system. Thanks
  • markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    I've had Simmone for 1 month now, and was finally able to take her top down and pull the doors off. Wow! - that is the best feeling!! I am definitely hooked on that being the way she is meant to be driven.

I do have a couple of questions, though. It looks like I'll have to put the doors back on this week (rain coming) - I don't plan on putting the nuts back on, as it just seems like hassle. Should I hacksaw the bolt ends to prevent rust? Or should I buy some stainless steel nuts to use instead of the factory ones- I don't feel like repainting them each time I take the doors off, which will be any chance I get! - Also- should I use any sort of lube (wd-40, etc.) before putting the doors back on?

Any advice would be great.

Tsjay- good luck with those new wheels and tires- sounds like you've got a good connection at the tire shop.

Thanks-

Pat
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    For maintenance, I have changed the oil every 3K, and every two years/20K miles I change every fluid: both diffentials, transfer case, manual transmission fluid, and coolant. I also change the air filter then.

Just passed 41K this weekend on my 1998 TJ and have had no mechanical problems, just the one electrical. All those fluids got changed for the 2nd time about a month ago. I'll probably change the fuel filter and spark plugs for the first time myself when I get to 50K.

One thing I am thinking of doing is have the brake fluid changed, but I have no idea if that is feasible. I am also starting to wonder when I will need my first brake job, though I don't do much stop-and-go driving right now (probably the only person in SoCal who doesn't) so I don't wear on them very much.
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Well....I did it. Put four 31 x 10.5 x 15 BFG Long Trail T/A's on my '98 SE. The tire guy warned me that I might experience some 'wandering' due to the larger tires. But I had gotten so much positive feedback from you all, I figured I'd risk it.

No problem! It looks great, rides and handles fine. I don't even notice any rub during extreme steering wheel cranks! Again, I have zero lift; just a relatively stock SE. I do have 15 x 8 Progressive Alloys that I bought used (replacing the standard steel rims at 12000 miles). I just turned over 40k miles. And for the record, I still love my Jeep, too! (Only problem was replacing the catalytic converter about 3k miles ago).

I figure my only 'wandering' will involve dirt roads, Camp Jeep and the occasional mud puddle!

RedRocker15
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    You might want to flush the radiator on an annual basis, especially if you head out toward Palm Springs or that area. And the air filter is a good idea, even though you haven't been out on our lovely dirt roads. I'm still on my original brakes but you might not want to go by that - I think we do very different types of driving.

Thanks to all the info about the odometer - I'm not able to do anything about a lift or larger tires for a while. Right now I'm happy with the Duellers (and they are still quite new).

jkedwards - A friend of mine has an old Bronco with Detroit lockers. Cornering causes the tires to chirp. I've also heard (but can't say one way or another from experience) that the automatic lockers are more difficult in snow/ice. I know that my factory LSD didn't help me one bit when I got stuck in the snow. But then, I got high centered on the icy snow buildup underneath the frame, so I don't think anything would have gotten me through that.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    markwarren66
    I just put my doors on and that is it. I don't bother with the nuts. Using some wd-40 wouldn't hurt but I don't have any problems not using any.
    jkedwards
    It sounds like you don't want a locker in the rear (unless it was selectable), but a Limited slip would be good. The stock one sucks and I would go with a detroit true trac. Putting a lock rite (locker) in the front wouldn't be bad if you want improved traction for off-roading in the moutains.

Mtngal
    You can change your speedo gear if you go up in tires. It is like a $10 part and from what I HEAR not too hard to change. Your odometer will be accurate again after that.
    Sounds like you need a GPS. Would be 10 times better than using your odometer.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Thanks for the advice! I'm taking it in tomorrow morning and will definitely be changing the air filter, oil, and of course oil filter. I'm having my guy, who's pretty honest, give me his opinion on other things like the brakes and all. Ducks, good idea about changing all fluids every 20,000 miles. The next oil change will be at around 19,000 miles so I might do that then. I'm at about 16,400 now.

I am curious about "Tune Ups" - what exactly is involved, besides replacing the spark plugs? And are spark plugs easy to change on my own? It seems like they would be. Does anyone ever get a "Tune Up" on their Jeep? If so, how often? Any info would be great.

Mike
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    From my understanding, a lot of the things that are done with a traditional tune-up (adjusting the carburator, adjusting the idle speed and so on) are now irrelevant with the advent of fuel injection, on-board computers that control ignition and air/fuel ratios, etc. These things can go wrong, and your car will let you know that by not running smoothly and assorted dash lights. Those little things that had to be manually adjusted are now handled by the computer.
    I think the traditional tune-up is much less important than it used to be. The things that you can do to keep your car/truck running for a long, long time are the preventative maintenance stuff like constant fluid changes. Hence my every-20K-miles regimen posted above.

Changing the spark plugs is not difficult. I did it on my 94 YJ and it had the 2.5L engine. Took me about an hour I think. Just be really careful not to let anything fall down into the cylinders when you take the plugs out--I used a toothbrush to get the dirt out from around each spark plug first. I found the Haynes manual to be useful for changing the fuel filter.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I ordered my Sport on the 1st of April and was told by DC that the expected build week would be the week of the 15th.

Called DC today, not once, but three times and got a different answer each time on the build status.

The 1st call I was told that the vehicle had been built on Saturday the 13th and that it was waiting to go through a quality assurance. I asked what the status code was and I was told they did not use them with the customers.

Since the first person said no to the code I decided to call again since I had been given the status code in the past.

The second call I was told that the vehicle had been built on Saturday and was already shipped today.

At this point I called the dealer and told them what I had been told. The dealer said that they had done a function 46 today and that my vehicle was in G status or waiting for trim.

I called DC for the third time today and was told that the vehicle was waiting for trim and had an estimated shipping date of tomorrow. When I asked what he meant by estimated shipping we kind of went around in circles for a couple of minutes. He finally asked me if I knew what estimated meant which I assured him that I did, but I still wanted to know what was meant by shipping as to where. I told him that I had a list of the status codes and wanted to know which one the vehicle was in. I was told that I should not have the status codes and that was to much information for me to have. I replied that I got them off the internet and that was just the way it is. After some additional hounding of this guy on if he was talking about being shipped by rail or what, he told me that the vehicle would be leaving and might sit in a parking lot for three weeks. I guess I got my answer, sort of.

One thing that the last person that I spoke to did for me was to give me a number that I could use to reference my vehicle build. I took the number with much gratitude since the person that I had spoke with at DC on the 4th said that they did not do that any longer.

I guess my vehicle is being built which I think is great since it seems to be going fairly quickly.

I also called my insurance company today to see what the damage was going to be with insuring the new vehicle. I got my answer and after gasping loudly and having to gulp air several times, I continued my conversation. My insurance on the Sport will run me $236 more every 6 months than what I was paying for my truck. Unfortunately I
    am keeping my truck and dropping coverage to liability on it. Now every six months I will be paying a total of $415 dollars more to keep both vehicles.

Ouch!

Still happy with the whole process and am looking forward to my next call to DC later in the week.
    OCEAN- what is the insurance on just the wrangler?
    I would like to know what everyone pays for insurance on their wrangler? I pay 65.00 per month on TAZZ.
    Took Tazz in today to get the recall done.
    WOW took 90 min to get it done
    No prob got to talk to dealer about JEEPS. I bet he has 10 phone calls about the Rubicon while I was there.
    Went to post office to run a track on lost money order. They will let me know something If it hasnt been cashed they will issue another M.O. on May 13th. Hopefully its Chryslers fault.
    Ive got some $$ to burn on TAZZ. But, if this M.O. thing goes dud..i will paying a double payment.

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Hi all,

I am back from an out of town project for work and then doing my damn income taxes. Well at least I see there has been lots of activity on this Wrangler board.

As for ordering my future Rubicon, it will not be until sometime after they have been released. When you are able to purchase under Chrysler's special purchase programs like the one for employees/retirees or vendors/suppliers they make you wait until after the pipeline is filled to take care of sold dealer orders. Besides I will not have much time during the winter to use it so waiting to order my will be OK.

As for how I am going to equip it I have pretty well settled in with one real exception. There really aren't going to be a lot of options with the Rubicon but here is where I currently stand. The only factory options I am aware of for the Rubicon are the hard top, full steel doors and optional interior electrochromatic rear view mirror with temperature/compass. Of course, there are a lot of dealer installed accessories that are possible for a price.

1. Navy Blue body
    2. Black Soft Top
    3. Five Speed Manual (I would never get a 3 speed non-overdrive automatic in anything thing, besides I personally just can't imaging a Wrangler without an manual tranny.)
    4. I am currently leaning toward Full Steel Doors but this the one option I need you all to help me with.

I personally like the looks of the standard half doors but I had a 94 Wrangler with them an really got tired of the plastic zip out windows. I live in the Austin area and it get quite hot in the summer so the windows up with air on is called for unless you are able to have the doors off with a bikini top on. I also will be taking my Wrangler to New Mexico, Colorado and far southwest Texas a few weeks a year for more serious Jeeping.

I have a friend in California that got a new Wrangler a couple of years ago that swears by the full steel doors with the glass windows and will never order a Wrangler without them. I have found a source that has padded pouches for either the half doors and full doors that protect them when off-roading. Another friend has them and says they work quite well.

Does anyone have long-term experiences with both half doors and full doors? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
    Personally I would go for the full doors, because is you decide u want them later they are very expensive & the Half doors are not that expensive.
    Just my opinion...

Keep jeepin
    Bama
    The insurance company that I use is telling me that a rough guessestimate is $536 for 6 months for just the Sport. For both vehicles it will we about $713 every 6 months.

I contacted another company and got a quote for both vehicles of $29 less every 6 months. I did not have them break the Jeep out separately since there did not seem to be much difference.

Male, 48 years old, no tickets or claims for well over 15 years, less than 10,000 miles a year on the vehicle, 16 miles one way to work, located in Central Texas. They tell me I have an excellent driving record.

Sure would hate to see what it would cost me if I had a lousy driving record.

Could be worse I guess, in 1984 I was paying a $1000 a year for motorcycle insurance while in Germany.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm 49 and pay about $500 for my minivan... per year. Must be in a better claims area than you or maybe minivan owners just don't make claims.

Either way, I'd shop around some more - we have a link to some free quotes on the main page and look at AIG too if they write policies in your area.

btw, do you do long distance consulting for goats and chickens?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    JF, I too am a future Jeep owner. I plan on selling my Firechicken to get my Jeep (after a summer and part of the fall saving as much as possible for a downpayment). I am leaning toward the full doors and maybe the half doors later. I may have to get the soft top (with the tinting of course) and get the hard top at a later date. I've read all of the posts where people got their Jeep for a couple of hundred dollars under invoice, but I just wander how much that will take off the cost of mine. I hope that I can find someone that works at Chrysler so I can get the friends and family discount that I've heard about from a friend. But after all...I've got at least three months (plus) of saving to do so that's plenty of time to find a friend :)

I however will be getting the auto...with occasional joint problems, I can't risk having a manual. I understand the power is a bit more but I just can't risk it.

Well, I just keep the dream going and soon it will come true :) And when it does yahooooooooo

Hug Your Jeeps for me :)

dwrangler
    Hey Steve_Host :) guess we seem to just miss each others posts. Hope to announce my purchase of my own Jeep by the end of summer or early to mid fall. Now that I've made the decision to get it no matter what, now makes the wait drive me crazy.

See ya

dwrangler
    Anticipation is half the fun!

(not into horses, sorry. Did consider a burrow/donkey - be fun to be a mule skinner )

Steve
    Host
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I pay $828 every 6 months on the Wrangler through Geico. I do have pretty extensive coverage, including uninsured/underinsured motorist, bodily injury, and mechanical breakdown coverage. It did go down in price after the first 6 months, maybe by about $50 per 6 months.

yellowman
    BigK! Happy Birthday...Jeepers!!! You can't be older than tomster...he's older than dirt (sorry tomster ;) ). Hope it's been a great birthday.

Wheelsdown...where ya been guy? We've missed the ole' crew.

Saharagal...where ya been woman? :)

Tomster goin to NC? Big question...gonna play golf? ;)

Bama...doin good keep up the posts...the Gill's crew and the Edmunds crew gotta keep in touch. ;)

Robster...keep it up with the baby and he'll take the Jeep away from you and claim it for himself ;)

To all the rest...Have a great day tomorrow and Hug your Jeeps for me...til I get mine....I know Rob...just get the darn thing ;)

dwrangler
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    insurance - $830 a year on the Jeep, that's 100/300/100 coverage for comprehensive, collision, liability, & uninsured motorist w/ $500 deductible. With State Farm for 9 years, no claims or tickets. Two other vehicles on the master policy.

door selection (jf2) - We have and prefer the half doors, but for us, it's a non-daily driver. Starting this week, the soft-top will stay off until the fall. We run a bikini/duster combo unless we have people with us. The bikini only goes on in super-hot or rainy weather. The half doors are great in the summer for us. You get most of the feeling of not having the doors on, but get to keep your mirrors and door pockets. I prefer the look of the half doors when the top is down/off.

Having said that, it sounds like full doors might be a better option for you. If you expect to run with a top and doors frequently so you can use the A/C, the half doors are a pain. The plastic windows are not "errand friendly" and will get more abused if they are constantly put up and down. The couple of times this winter where the weather was in the 50-60s, I would pull the uppers on the doors and leave them at home. I think the inconvienience of the uppers on the half doors would get old quickly if it's your main source of transportation.

Replacement doors are pretty expensive either way you go. I think either half or full doors are $1200+, and the half doors may actually be a bit more expensive because you have to buy the soft uppers and the folding door surrounds. I think full doors are like the 6 cyl engine... you may hear some people that say they wish they had full doors over soft, but rarely will people wish they had gone the other way.

The door bags are nice if your doors have to share a garage or storage room with other stuff. We have the bestop half door bag and I think tsjay has the full door version. They are Bestop and are well made with quality materials and good design.

My half-door Jeep is getting the recall item addressed today. I'm suprised it's a 90 min job, but we dropped it off and will pick it up later today. Sunny and 80 in the ATL today!

-twylie
    Well, my wheels came in, and yesterday they were mounted along with some new BFG Mud Terrains in the 31 x 10.50 size.

I will post a pic in the photo gallery when I get a chance, but if you are interested, you can go to Gill's and check out the photo gallery there.

I really love the new look. So much so that I will probably sell my Canyon wheels. Thelma is happy about the whole thing too. :)

She looks like a "real" Jeep now!. The tires stick out about an inch past the flares, since I went with 4" backspacing on the new wheels vs. the 5.5" on the Canyons.

Well, take a look at the "new" Thelma Jane.

http://itsajeep.org

Go to the photo gallery.

Tom

P.S. She looks WAY better than the pic shows, and I hope to get a better pic to replace that one.

You guys remember the killer trade-in that I was given on the factory Goodyear Wrangler GSAs when I bought those BFG All Terrains? They had 10K miles on them when I traded them in, and I got $83 apiece for the four on the Jeep and $95 for the spare, which had never been used.

I thought the guy must have made a mistake, but apparently not! I was given $87.50 apiece for those All Terrains with 5K miles on them and $97.50 for the spare this time! Yeeeeehawwww!!

The Muds are quite a bit more expensive than the All Terrains, so this time I had to pay more for the difference, $300.00. That was with mounting and balancing, tax and all.

Tom

OK, I have only put enough miles on the Muds to get me back to work after they were mounted and then the 27 mile drive home after work, so this is DEFINITELY a "first impression."

The ride quality is not a bit different as far as I can tell between the All Terrains and the Muds.

The noise level of the Muds is very much tolerable as far as I am concerned. With the radio off, the window down, and driving at 65 MPH, the noise is not all that bad. With the window up and the radio at normal volume, I don't even hear the noise at all.

I am very happy so far with those 31 x 10.50 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KMs!

Hey a Jeep needs Muds that stick out beyond the flares a little to look like a real Jeep! :)

Tom

Since you bring up the option of GPS devices, I have a question. I've never really looked at them because I have this picture in my mind of being out in the middle of the desert somewhere and being faced with a fork in the "road." Both forks go in similar but slightly different directions. When I look at the map connected with the GPS device it would show only a big open hole where I am. Please tell me this picture is strictly fiction - that the maps are more accurate than that!
    jamesfletcher2

Call your friend in Cali back and tell him, he has gotten soft and he needs to get rid of his girly doors. :) I will never order a Jeep with full doors.

I wouldn't get dealer installed accesories unless you are wanting to roll the cost up in your loan. I would also look into getting the right accesories if you are going to be doing some serious off-roading.

I don't think Wranglers come in Navy blue. The rubicon may only be offered in limited colors also.
    The Rubicon is suppose to have a 4 speed auto. Auto can be real nice for serious rock crawling.

I think the bikini during the summer is a great way to go and especially in Austin where the humidity is not too bad.
    I don't see using padded pouches for full doors and being able to put them in the back of the jeep. Even half doors would be a pain if you took them completely off.
    I have only had half doors but prefer them and will deal with the zip windows for the benefits they offer. For the tollway I just pop open my door and toss some money in. For ATM and drive-thrus, I usually open my door and unzip it, fold window down and close my door as I pull up. I would prefer rolling up and down a window but still would take my half doors over full.
    The window down on a full door does not compare to the open space you have with the top half of a half door off.
    I like being able to throw the top halfs on and off when I am out of town or across town.
    I think the half doors can give a lot of wind noise though. The top half pulls out easily in the wind. I think the full door provides a good seal and will have not have this noise. The new sail cloth tops are suppose to make a big difference and may go well with full doors.

One route you may want to consider is getting full doors and then buy a set of full soft doors ($300). Those can be stored easier in the back. I am considering selling my half doors and going completely with soft doors but haven't look into it too much yet.

Hope that helps
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    since SA (selective availability) was turned off a couple of years ago, even cheap GPS units are accurate within 20 feet or so. With clear sky, mine generally shows accuracy of 15 feet or less. If you have a clear view of the sky, gettting and maintaining a signal is no problem. The situation you described is mostly ficton. If you have a GPS that does maps, you would see yourself at the fork and once you orient yourself, the roads would be obvious. I've used M$ Streets and Trips with my GPS connected to my laptop and it works really well. The accuracy of the maps is good enough to navigate around town in without any problem. However, once you get outside city limits, the maps can be a bit less reliable. Since it sounds like you enjoy getting out to hike and explore, your basic navigation and orienteering skills are still your best bet. We have a little fisheye compass ($5 at REI) that we keep in the Jeep console as a manual backup. Technology is great, but batteries do go dead! I think of GPS as a tool, not a crutch.

FWIW, I found the Jeep speedo to be optimistic from the factory. 60 indicated was actually 58 or 59mph according to GPS. With a bump from 30 to 31" tires, it may be closer to correct now for you.

I picked up a Garmin eTrex using credit card "points" and it's been a lot of fun and a neat $100 gadget. It's especially fun to take it out wheeling or riding in the mountains. When I get home, I can download the data and get a good picture of where we actually were Jeeping! It's also fun to mark good lunch or camping locations so they can be found easily on return trips. HTH

-twylie
    I don't have a GPS. I am too cheap and everyone I know has one. From what I have seen they work great inside and outside the city limits. I have seen dirt roads on private land on the maps for GPS. I guess the maps may depend on your GPS. My brother has a etrex and I think it is more for hunting and fishing. The garmin III gps are great for road travel. I don't know if they can use the same maps or what. Maybe browsing http://www.garmin.com/

will give you some help.
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Last week I left Old Red Home so he could get state safety inspected and he passed with flying colors.
    But on the way home a young man in a Nissan did not see the other cars stopped waiting on a car to make a left turn in to a driveway. And I think that he was driving at little over the posted speed limit when he hit my wife. He skidded 44 ft before hitting the jeep. The insurance man said that His Nissan was total lost, but my wife drove Old Red home.
    The jeep went to the shop today for body and under carriage work. One good thing about a jeep as we all know the body parts are replaceable so they will very little or no filler used.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "Goodyear says the 30" GSA tire is actually 29.9", and Goodrich says their 31" Mud Terrain is actually 30.9." I didn't look up the All Terrain 31" while I was at Goodrich, but I will do so."

Or you could just measure the ones you have and get back to us (as could I).

;-)
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I like the idea of full soft doors also.
    Thanks for all the input. I don't really need a GPS for around town - that's why they make Thomas Guides (for LA, and I don't travel much to other large urban areas). I would really like one for all those dirt roads and tracks in the middle of the Mojave desert where it can get confusing, and to a lesser degree, up in the mountains (forest service roads). Guess a compass and my odometer, along with accurate maps, will continue to fit my basic needs. The etrex sounds like it might be fun...

My odometer is pretty close to being accurate with the 30" Duellers. I agree that it's a bit shy, but that's OK - better to be just short of your spot, stop and see it, than to go past it before you realize it!

jptj - Glad to hear that your wife was OK. We drove away from a run-in with a Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma had to wait for a tow truck and looked like he was going to have to replace his front end. We drove on to work. However, there was thread showing in a couple of the tires, and nicks in the rims. Except for the tie-rod end all of our damage was body work. The Wrangler is one tough vehicle!
    Thanx for the input with insurance...looks like we about pay close to the same...
    WOW..warm weather is HERE!! like Twylie 80 here today
    hey Twylie u gonna win that 300 million? You better share!
    TOM- Thelma is looking tough now..!! Your ready for the woods now.. I need to make a trip to Kentucky again.
    u have any pics of your CB set up, I would like to see it.

Keep jeepin
    Bama!!
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    This afternoon I saw on the CNN Headline News "ticker tape" that DC has announced a recall for '99-'01 Cherokees, Grand Cherokees and Wranglers with the I-6 engine. I called my Jeep dealer and they knew nothing about it. Does anyone know what this recall is about?

J. Thurlow
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can read more detail here.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    A trip to Kentucky sounds good, but you also need to make some trips to Gills! We miss ya!

Tom
    AIG was the company that came in $29 cheaper every six months. In all fairness to AIG, I did not have my present policy with me so I am not sure on the dollar amount of coverage on the two policies. AIG is mailing me a quote with all the dirt.

My roomie Jean has her 94 Mazda MPV insured through AIG and she pays $350 every 6 months with a clean driving record. She is saving about $90 a year over her old policy.

So what is the critter question that I probably can't answer?
    How come you didn't take the afternoon off from work and play hooky?

I know you can't wait to get those new puppies in some mud.

Lookin good.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    In my 97 I had half doors and with my 2002 I ordered full doors convinced I needed to have them. I guess I am never pleased as I now wish I bought half doors. With the fulls, you just don't get that open air feeling as with the halves. Also, the cabin seems so much more cramped. There is no where to put your left elbow. As I posted awhile back, I am looking to sell my 2002 4 cylinder for a 6 cylinder X. I am like tsjay when it comes to buying new vehicles. I've had 5 cars in the last 3 years and if I ever sell this one, it will be 6.
    If you all would be so kind, I need some advice. I'm trying to sell my TJ on my own so I won't take a hit with the dealer. MSRP was 19,150, invoice was 18,051. It is a steel blue 4 banger, CD player, Air, Full doors, 23N package, soft top, tire and wheel package, 5 speed, 1000 miles, etc... I am advertising it for 16,700 in my local paper and will sell it for 16,000-16,500. Does this seem reasonable? I have had it in the paper for 2 weeks with only 3 calls. One guy took it for a test drive but said he'd get a new one with his Chrysler discount. KBB lists 2001's for dealer retail as 18000+ and private seller for 16300+. This IS 2001, they do not list 2002's yet. Others in the paper list 2000 SE's with 20,000+ miles at 15,999. What do you all think? Am I asking too much? I just took a week off and relisted it today. Also, my dealer is willing to do all of the paper work, financing etc... What do you think?
    Thanks, Kahuna
    You are not in an enviable position, my friend. People can buy new 2002s for about $200 over invoice and then get a $500 rebate, which effectively means that they are buying for $300 UNDER invoice. They can also get a 7 year/ 100,000 mile warranty on the new one.

I'll bet you will have to figure out invoice price for a brand new 2002 like yours, and then you will have to knock off a couple thousand from that to entice someone to buy yours. (Maybe that's about where you are on your asking price?)

I am so very sorry that you are in this position. I feel for ya, man.

Are you SURE you can't live with the four banger?

Tom

Oceantoad, it really boils down to "should we or shouldn't we?" Got 1.5 acres but lots of plants are getting tossed in the ground already - I'm sure Angora's or similar would love em :-)

Maybe I need a Wrangler with a PTO and a disk and harrow?

Steve
    Host
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    You are right tsjay. 500 cash back and the warranty are big obstacles. However, with my invoice (18,051) minus 500 it still comes to 17,551. My bottom line asking price is 16,000. People are still saving 1,551 dollars. If forced, I could maybe go to 15,700. That is for a loaded 2002 with an MSRP of over 19,000 dollars. And yes, I am kicking myself in the head for not realizing the need for a 6 cylinder. What I didn't know was the X model has most standard features found in the 23N package I spent upwards of 1000 for. I basically could have gotten one for not much more. But hindsight is 20/20. I'd rather cut my losses and get into a Wrangler I want to drive for the next 5-6 years than "live" with a 4 banger, my bad. I don't remember my 97 being this sluggish. The hills in my area make driving a task. So if I can't sell right away I will be happy that I have a Jeep, that's for sure, but in the long run, I have to get a 6. Would it be complete idiocy to get a used (2000-2001) Sport? I'm in no real hurry. At my asking price, I think (crosses fingers) I will eventually find a buyer.
    texasjeep,

I am not sure if the Rubicon will offer a 4 speed automatic. The only real specifications I have are at the following Web link http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/news_events/rubicon_design.html - they just mention the automatic as an option.

I still am a little old fashion when it comes to transmissions in a Jeep and would more than likely still go with a manual. The older Wrangler I had was a 5 speed and I had a ball with the manual. I know Jeep doesn't call the dark blue Navy Blue but it is just my generic name for it.

I agree with you that the half doors are much better looking. The top of the half door is exactly aligned with the normal lines of the Wrangler are just perfect. I am really still perplexed by the choice. I have also seen the plastic replacement sliding windows for the half doors. In fact, I just saw a Wrangler with them yesterday. I just don't know if they are for Besttop or some other after market brand. I put an after market top by Besttop on my 1994 Wrangler.

Do the complete soft doors come for the factory soft top on the new Wranglers? On the older Wranglers they would not fit the factory top and you had to buy the entire new top to use them. Also, I agree with you on the dealer options. I basically agree with you that in a good summer in Austin the humidity and temperature would be OK for half or no doors.

What are the new sail cloth tops you mentioned? Also, you mention the toll road. Do you live in the Houston or Dallas area?

JF

twylie,

It sounds like your half doors work great for you in Atlanta. If so, I should not have any problem since the summers are a little better here in Austin. Especially, when it comes to lower humidity than Atlanta.

JF