Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    My original point was that *most* of the earlier gains in mpg came from the dramatic drop in average vehicle weight, post 1970. The more recent small weight gain doesn't alter that.

The improved efficiencies of new engines is amazing. I took a test drive today in an Avalon, the Japanese Buick. 0 to 60 mph time is 6-something seconds, and the mpg is decent. I just wonder how much more mpg one might get if the acceleration, however nice, didn't match, and better, the muscle cars of the 70s.
  • Depends how you look at it. So many vehicles driven these days are defined as "trucks" (to get around CAFE regulations), but you and I know that "crossovers" are cars.

Furthermore, subcompacts and compact sedans have gotten a lot heavier than they used to be in the 70's and 80's, due to chassis stiffening, added safety equipment, and the fact that what used to be considered optional is now often standard equipment. Look at the huge weight difference between the VW Rabbit and the last couple generations of the Golf.
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    For anyone in Massachusetts:

When we received our Mass registration renewal in Jan '06, it came with an offer to test drive any Ford and get a $100.00 Gift card. I did drive a V6 Fusion but was not impressed, especially the cheap hard plastic inside trim.

Since I did not make a copy of the offer coupon I do not have the phone number or website to check the status of the offer. Anyone out there have the info ?

Thanks
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I stand corrected.

Thanks.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You got an offer in your Massachusetts Registration renewal from Ford? Is the state of Massachusetts selling advertising rights in with their registration renewals? Interesting, but I suppose any way they can get revenue without raising taxes!

I got a $50 gift card test drive offer in January direct from Ford for test driving a Fusion. Just got the card last week. The toll free customer service number in my offer to check the status is 866-261-3596. I don't know if this number will work for your offer, but it is worth a try.

I disagree with your Fusion appraisal, by the way. I thought the interior was just fine. Every vehicle's interior is filled with plastic, some hard, some soft, some wood trim, some fake metal trim. Hard plastics in areas you rarely touch don't bother me a bit. In fact they stand up better to wear and tear in the long run anyways.
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    First, thank you for the info, I was able to contact someone.

Second, I should had mentioned I was comparing the 2006 Fusion to my 2005 Camry. The most disappoint aspect of the vehicle was where it was built, Mexico. The engine was from the U.S. and the six-speed automatic was from Japan. I'd like to know where the General Manager of a Ford factory in Michigan would allow the Fusion to be parked if owned by an employee. He makes Ford employees who drive "foreign" cars park far away from the entrance to the plant..
  • Good point. What is an "American" car is pretty darn arbitrary these days.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    It's not THAT arbitrary, really. Just look at where each company has its roots, who runs it, etc.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    And also take into account the "owner" of the brand. Ford- American, GM- American, Toyota- Japanese, KIA- Korean, BMW- German, Chrysler- German, Mazda- almost American, Volvo- American, and so forth.
  • Chrysler- German, Mazda- almost American, Volvo- American, and so forth.
    I certainly see what you are saying, but you won't get universal agreement, that, say, for instance Volvo is American. If you can't get consensus, there isn't any...and that was my point.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    My Windstar:

Origin - Oakville Canada
    Seats - Canada
    Engine - Windsor Canada
    Wiring Harnesses - Mexico
    Fuel Injection - Germany
    Battery - Oh My, USA

American Car? Not in my book.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    some of you have mistaken our conversation here for this discussion: Buying American Cars: What Does It Mean? ;)
  • Sorry. This is a discussion of the boring 500, right? ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, well, if it's boring you, feel free to join the discussion at that link I posted and carry on! ;)
    How long can such a discussion BE?

American company produces American cars.

Japanese company produces Japanese cars.

Korean company produces Korean cars.

And that's ALL there is to it. :D
  • Would that it were that simple. I don't think you could even get everyone to agree that the 500 is an "American" car.
    Well, Ford's an American company.

Granted, it's basically a Volvo design. But Ford bought Volvo, right?

Let's say the Russians stole American plans for a satellite, then built it and launched it. Would it be an American or Russian satellite? It would clearly be Russian . . even if based on an American design.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Except that if Volvo had built the Five Hundred, it would've cost too much, and I wouldn't have bought it. :surprise:
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    For a 270hp, 6 speed Five Hundred with the new look and some new features, like hopefully a manual shift mode.
    Does anybody actually USE those manual shifts on cars, other than a few times as a toy?

I play with them a bit on rental cars, but the novelty wears off after a few hours.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I play with them a bit on rental cars, but the novelty wears off after a few hours.

Ditto, only in my case it wears off after a few minutes...

After having driven stick-shifts for well over 10 years, I'm glad to have converted to automatics. Just give me a torquey engine, and one has to nit-pick to tell the difference in performance.

Automatics don't convey the engine brake power as well as a stick anyway, so those paddles wouldn't help much around corners either. And given that good automatics don't upshift nor downshift around corners, I don't see in such novelty anything but a marketing gimmick.

But that's only me... ;)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I only have owned stick.

I drove a friend's RX-8 with the manumatic and the paddles on the wheel. Its hardly responsive and you can't modulate gear engagement.

Whats the point?

Mark.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Went to New York Internatioal Car Show last weekend. I sat in the 500 and felt this is the car for me! Comfort at a reasonable price! Plus perfect crash tests! Huge interior and trunk! I read the up coming model will have a 3.5L engine. Anyone know when it's coming out? I wanted some opinions about certain features. What is the difference between the regular halogen lamps on the SE and the automatic halogen lamps on the SEL? I like the automatic temperature control and a message center on the SEL but I hate the woodgrain finish on the interior. The SE doen't have woodgrain but doesn't have the option for climate control or a message center. Edmunds.com said the CVT is the better trany. Does anyone disagree and why? The only gripe I have is with the low Horsepower you'd think you could get better gas mileage! The only other car I'm considering is the Malibu Maxx also considered a large car. Torque is higher at 221@3200 and so is mpg at 22/30. The front passenger seat also folds flat on th Maxx. Malibu Maxx starts at $20,165 (very reasonable)! Thanks for any comments or responses!
    If you want an SE, get to the dealer now before their gone.

For 2007 Ford drops the SE trim. The SEL will lose some of its standard equipment (basically everything that came on an SEL but not on an SE). This equipment will be packaged in a SEL luxuary package.

CVT goes away for the FWD but Ford my be using the new 6F in the 500.

Mark.
    I think the CVT is the better transmission. However, once the 3.5L comes out, it will almost certainly be with the new 6-speed transmission, and not the CVT (can't handle the torque of the new engine).

I don't like the wood-grain, either, but it grows on you. If you simply can't stand it, you can order (third-party) other options to replace it with.

The automatic lamps are nice. They come on automatically when it gets dark outside.

Don't forget about the ride height. One of the reasons I find the Five Hundred so comfortable is that I don't have to "step down" into the car. Instead, I just slide over into the seat.
  • One of the reasons I find the Five Hundred so comfortable is that I don't have to "step down" into the car. Instead, I just slide over into the seat

Every situation has its drawbacks. One of the main reasons the 500 looks so dumpy compared to the Audi A6 is the way the higher ride height was incorporated into the design. Another is the clumsy way that the rear window and trunk were integrated. Could have been done so much better. Hoepfully future iterations will add that missing grace, so it will go from dull to "understated." :D
    I, for one, dno't fine the Five Hundred to be "dumpy".
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Perhaps I can answer your questions, since I bought a Malibu Maxx instead of a Five Hundred, Montego, or Freestyle (I also considered the Chrysler 300, the Dodge Magnum, the Toyota Tacoma, and the Ford Explorer), and the Maxx replaced my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer).

I prefer the looks of the Montego, especially the rear, but from the spy photos, the 2008 versions of all three of the Ford cars, and the fact that they will have the new 265 HP 250 Ft. Lbs. 3.5 V6 and new Ford-GM 6-speed automatic may make them worth the wait (all of the rumors on the internet indicate that they will be out very early in 2007).

I was very disappointed when I finally realized that the lack of a telescoping steering column just simply made it impossible for me to sit comfortably in the Five Hundred or Montego (the Freestyle is better, as the center console is narrower). The weak engine is a nuisance, especially because of the amount of noise it makes trying to move the vehicle and the price of loaded versions of these vehicles.

The Malibu Maxx was cheap during the "employee pricing" event - I paid $24,000 for one with every option, including XM radio, the rear skylight, a sun roof, and the rear DVD player. The rear seat room is fantastic, and the split rear seats recline and slide back and forth. It has automatic climate control, but just one zone, a flaw most evident when the sun is on just one side of the car. It is really too small for our needs, but the low price made it a good stop-gap car until the 2008 Fords or something else comes along. The fuel mileage is indeed excellent. In addition to saving money, making fewer fuels tops is a nice convenience. The 3.5 V6 and the old four speed automatic work well together, and the power is good. I drive enough that it will be time to either trade or keep it by the time the 2008 Fords come out. The main problem for me has been the lack of front seat comfort - the foam is thin and the springs weak, plus the forward and backward adjustment is mixed with the up and down adjustment (slide the seat forward the the seat rises up, slide it back and the seat lowers, probably because they were cheap and used three seat motors instead of four). You might also consider the Saab 9-3, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura, as they are the same car underneath.

The 2006 Chevrolet Impala also is worth considering, and it has a large trunk, clever folding rear seats, and three engine choices (3.5, 3.9, and 5.3). If I had to buy a new car today, I would buy an Impala. The Buick La Crosse and Pontiac Grand Prix are the same car underneath.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My wife has an 06 500 SE w/CVT company car. I drive it quite a bit and really like the response of the CVT. While I'm not overly fond of the 3.0 Duratech, the CVT definitely makes the most of the 3.0's power once under way above say 20mph. So far it has gone 6000 miles trouble free.

BTW- In this months issue of Motor Trend, they had a 3 way comparison of the Montego AWD, 300 3.5 v6, and Lucerne w/ 3.8.

The Montego was quicker than the Lucerne 0-60, 45-65, and qtr mile. The biggest difference was the 40-60 times were the Montego was about .7 seconds quicker and nearly matched the 300 despite being the heaviest car in the test by 200lbs.

As for the Impala, it is a nice car, but if you want rear seat room and truck space, it's not in the same league as the 500. My wife had a choice of an 06 GP, Impala, and 500. We looked at all 3 and rear seat accommodation IMO are terrible in the GP and tight in the Impala, I surely wouldn't want to sit back there very long.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    In reality, do you think anyone is going to notice a difference under one second? Try counting off .7 and see if it makes a difference to you.
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    i totally agree, auto mags make so much of 0-60 times, i think anything below 8 secs is fine for most passenger vehicles. Most people dont dart from stoplights in there vehicles, while i think its important to have good power for merging, passing, i dont need to be there in 6 sec's flat, as long as i have a good usable powerband that pulls the vehcile willingly. Thats why i dont understand all the critisism for the 500, they pan the 3.0L for being to slow, but last i checked it does 0-60 in about 7.7 to 8.5 sec's. which seems to be on par with other vehicles. So instead of calling it upderpowered they should just call it unrefined if it emits to much engine noise.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    8...I think 10 sec is just fine. I've never felt that I did not have adequate acceleration in our vehicles that have 0-60 times in the 9-10 sec range. And I am not a slow accelerator...I am generally the fastest pulling away from lights and get frustrated behind most drivers who do 0-60 in about 1/2 mile in actual practice. A faster car would just increase the frustration.
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    10 sec's is where i would expect a SUV to be not a car, sorry.
    That's fine...I was agreeing with you that too much is made of acceleration times. What I meant was 8 is fine and for me even 10 is adequate. I just have even lower standards of acceptable acceleration than you :).
  • chrisl0chrisl0 Member Posts: 114
    This year the 500 got a top pick rating from Consumer Reports and now I am considering buying one. I am pleased that they are going to upgrade the looks and put in a more powerful engine. Just one question now, do they plan to do away with that ugly fixed antenna and replace it with a power antenna or window grid antenna?
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    GM and Ford have too much 2005/2006 inventory before 2007 models roll in August and foresee a similar price war to last summer aka employee discounting to civilian buyers.
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    The antennae and floor mats are located to the trunk until dealership arrival. Then they become "dealer installed" options. Four drops, a couple twists, $395. LOL!
  • ukraguyukraguy Member Posts: 28
    Looks like the Hyundai Azera is a much better choice.
    Why is the Azera the better choice? Crash tests aren't as good. Ford has larger interior, passenger and trunk. Azera has more horsepower. Is that the only reason?

One thing I don't like about Azera is the center between the driver and passenger where the gear shift is there is too much space. Looks stupid to me. They couldn't use that space for something?

Actually if I wanted a Hyundai, I'd chose the Sonata. A bit smaller but better crash test ratings, not to mention a lower MSRP! The Sonata also can come with a 4 cyl engine. Love those rising gas prices! Only thing Azera has is more power. Am I missing something? :surprise:
    Why does the CVT use more fuel than the automatic? Will the upcoming 3.5L engine do any better with mpgs?
  • The Azera might be a better choice for some people because: it has a higher content, it has stability control standard (not even offered on the 500), it is very roomy even if the 500 has a larger trunk, it has a more compact exterior while remaining a full-size inside, it has more power, it is much quieter on the road, and it is arguably better looking (although no standout either). To each his or her own.
    This is compeetely not true.
    I love how people who know nothing about the car business chime in where their stupid coments.

First, at Ford, all models are basically balance out...that menas no more orders are accepted.

The only inventory at my lot that we have any appreciable quanty of ie more then 10 are trucks. Explorers, Mountaineers, F-150s and Super Duties.

Only the Super-Duties are in 07 production this month. And they are building all diesel until July.

I can never have to many Super Duty Diesels.

I have 3 Focus

4 Fusions
    4 Milans
    1 Zephyr

like 8 Five Hundereds
    about 6 Montegos
    1 Freestyle

8 Escapes
    4 Mariners

about 6 Mustangs

I work at a big dealership we did 70+ new Fords in April which was in the to 20 for our region.

Mark.
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Anyone know why some Montego's that I have seen in Tampa and Fort Myers have a half vinyl roof ? Are there any large incentives looming on either the 500 or Montego? Thanks. dturr.
  • They have half vinyl roofs because they are being sold to blue hairs and geezers who still think those aftermarket mods are cool. When they were young and middle-aged adults, vinyl roofs were extra-cost options (or standard on premium models) from the factory.

I've seen some pretty awful vinyl applied to just about every sedan sold above the subcompact class. Some of these look so bad it hurts, but others are at least good for a laugh.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Yes, it just beautiful when the vinyl dries out and begins to peel off.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Hey, even "geezers" have a right to their taste. I certainly wouldn't want a vinyl roof, but i believe in the French expression "A chacun son sale gout." To each his nasty taste.
  • Well, I also believe that. At the same time, I am 54 and on the cusp of geezerhood. I know I would appreciate some kind soul saying to me, "Hey! No one does that anymore," if I hadn't noticed or figured it out for myself yet.

I can't imagine how a fake roof covering is going to jazz up a Montego. How about putting some $$ into better wheels, or a tasteful rear spoiler? (I saw one a well-intgrated one on a 500, and it actually improved the line of the rear end.)
    I saw a Ford Tempo with a coach roof once. I think I busted a rib laughing.

Mark.
    I'm 34 years old, living in NY. The car, above any, I would buy today, after a lot of searching, would be the Ford Five Hundred.

I've come to understand that compact cars, even with decent crash scores, can't compare with a larger car in a collision. There are too many large SUVs out there and even more unsafe drivers. Being I have a 3 year old, everyone driving on highways 55 mph, but who does 55 today, I don't know why people would be a little more careful about the car they choose. Even on city streets not many drive speed limits. Can't say I do but knowing that, I want a car with perfect crash scores.

Can't afford SUV prices, wouldn't if I could. Just think that unless I drove in Maine and needed a 4x4 I would, but I don't. Cars depreciate and I think it's unnecessary.

108 cubic feet of passenger space, 21 cubic foot trunk, a folding front passenger seat(how much more room could you need), perfect crash scores, and an MSRP starting at 22,230 is exactly what I'm looking for! It's a luxury car at bargain prices! Being that the Montego starts at 24,430 and IS the same car, why buy the Montego? A Toyota Avalon did impress me until I compared prices!

A lot of people would say Ford has a bad rep but I've owned a 95 Taurus and I haven't had frequent or major problems. I know it's not the fastest car out there but I'm not a street racer, especially with a three year old in the back.

I'm curious though about other owners and potential buyers on their age. Is most buyers over 50? Over 40?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    One factor to keep in mind is that although the Five Hundred and Montego have perfect government test scores, they don't do well in the Insurance Institute crash tests without side curtain (head) airbags, and side curtain airbags are NOT standard, so the odds of finding that safety gear are against you.

The Accord, Camry, and Avalon all come standard with side curtain airbags.

I understand Ford will make side curtain airbags standard in more of its passenger cars next year, and the industry has adopted a voluntary phase in of side curtain airbags over the next few years.
    I've come to understand that compact cars, even with decent crash scores, can't compare with a larger car in a collision.

This is not completely true in all cases. In the IIHS side impact test the VW Jetta clearly did better than the 500, as did the Audi A3 (note that IIHS classifies cars by weight so these are in their "midsize" category, despite being comapacts). For side impact test the results are directly comparable among all sizes and weights of vehicles.

In frontal impact test the results are not directly comparable for different weight cars. But these two compacts are heavy, but they do still weigh about 400 pounds less than a 500 and the 500 did do better in the IIHS frontal tests.

The Jetta and the A3 have stability control either standard or readily available as a cheap option. This safety feature is not available on the 500.

Nothing wrong with the 500, it seems to be a very safe vehicle and is certainly spacious. I just disagree with your blanket statement, implying that all compact cars are unsafe.
This discussion has been closed.