Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Is it hard to find a Five Hundred with airbags? I wouldn't buy any car without front, side, or rear airbags. I don't think the Accord, Camry, or Avalon did as well on thier crash ratings? Airbags or no airbags!
    Didn't mean to imply that all compacts are unsafe, but I read an article off the web saying the degree of safety. The article informed of injuries reported from small cars vs. large cars. I wish I could remember the article to refer it to you.

IIHS reported that the Ford Fusion was a death trap, so I wouldn't recommend that car to anyone! So I suppose I'd rather be in a Honda Civic, which IIHS rated Gold, rather than a Fusion! Jetter can keep that piece of %^&*!:lemon:
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    Capital Ford in Raleigh got two SEL's and Town & Country in Charlotte got one. Appears 2007 has the silver painted LTD grill installed on the SEL. Let the summer sell off begin baby! I hope a coach roof and continental spare are available. LOL!
    SEL and LTD only no more SE, dropped two colors, added two colors. Chrome Wheels and chrome mesh grill are factory options. Can get either with 18 inch wheels. Gee do I want the black on black LTD with chrome rims or Redfire on black LTD with Chrome wheels? Okay Both!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I think you are exaggerating a just a bit with "death trap".

I find it funny that when I am on a Ford forum, people say VW= :lemon: , then when I am on a VW forum they say Ford= :lemon: . I guess I should buy a Toyota...oh wait they have transmission problems now.

Civic was rated gold, but is in small car category because it is a much lighter car. It is about 500 pounds less than the Jetta...so its frontal crash test is certainly not comparable to the 500s and also not even comparable to Jetta's. Side crash test results of Civic were not as good as Jettas, but were pretty comparable to the 500.

Here is a driver death rate report from IIHS. As you say, on average, larger cars are safer...but as you can see some smaller cars were quite safe. The old version of the Jetta had lower death rate than a Taurus as did the Civic.

The new version of Jetta is more like the size of the Passat, which had one of the lowest death rates. This was some of the other data that led me to believe that VW was doing a good job on safety.

The most disappointing thing is, it seems like there is a general trend that american makes are less safe than foreign based on these death rate stats.

http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/iihs_sr_031505.pdf
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I guess I should buy a Toyota...oh wait they have transmission problems now.

They've had them before, too. Can you say Camry? Sure ya can. :P
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I don't care as much about crash tests as about such real-world data. As a car designer said at an SAE conference, cars are designed for the crash tests and it's not unconceivable to think that a car that fares well at a lab test at 35MPH would fare abysmally at 40MPH.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Kinetic energy=1/2MV^2, where v is velocity so going from 35 to 40 mph increases the kinetic energy of a moving object by nearly 31%. In a crash this energy has to be dissipated somehow, which will result in a lot more bent metal, and maybe dented passengers as well.

Standardized crash tests may be important, but it is also important not to dwell on slight differences between vehicles as the test is just one data point, and even then it is only one test of one sample as well.

I always get a chuckle out of those who post in one sentence that they want the safest vehicle available, then they also want that vehicle to go 0-60 in 6.5 or 7.0 seconds as 8.0 or 8.5 seconds is just to slow. Seems the priorities are a bit inconsistant to me.
    I look at both. That is why I included a link to a real world study of death rates to back up my point that size is not the only factor in vehicle safety.
    It's unfortunate these real world tests can only be done on previous year models. I read the Status Report and found it very informative. Thanks for that jeffyscott.

I will definitely consider a VW Passat based on the info from the Status Report, though it could be very pricey. The Value Edition would be my choice. The passenger volume equals only 96 cubic feet is its only setback for my taste.

I also like the int/ext design on both Ford Five Hundred and the Passat. With a VW designer and Volvo underpinnings, gives me good feelings about the Five Hundred would be an excellent family car. Bigger and cheaper than the Passat might make it the better deal. :surprise:
  • You need to try the Passat. Most find it has plenty of room. Going by cubic feet numbers can be misleading...just as rear legroom measurements often don't give a real picture of how roomy a seat position feels.

Where the 500 really shines over the Passat is in trunk room. However, a lot of people find 13 to 16 cubic feet more than adequate...it depends on your needs. With the 500, you will be driving a vehicle that is a foot longer, so that may be a consideration too.

Cheaper is also relative. Passats hold their value very well. However, if you are going to keep the car 10 years, who cares?
    The IIHS death rate publication is also very subject to the demographics of the drivers of a particular car.

For example, no matter how safely designed a car is, if it attracts mostly "street racer buyers" or younger drivers, no matter how safely the car is designed, it will not look good in this study simply because the majority of drivers of that particular vehicle are risky drivers and will push up the death rates.

Still the most critical safety variable of any vehicle is the human behind the wheel.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Please, take a look at the reliability of a VW, or speak to owners before purchasing once. Having 12 friends who from 98-2003, bought their products had nothing but problems with them.
  • Ok, and just to balance that a bit...

Between 1998 and 2003 I owned a Passat, a Golf and an Audi TT. Not one problem with any of them, and I still have the diesel Golf. Was very pleased with all of them. The 1999 Passat wagon was a real gem. Nothing at that time at that price could touch it for features and quality of the interior.

BTW, I've had good luck with Fords too.
    The IIHS death rate publication is also very subject to the demographics of the drivers of a particular car.

They did adjust for this to some extent. The text of that report idicated the figures were adjusted based on the percentage of female drivers.

The old Jetta certainly attracted a younger set of drivers than the taurus, yet death rates were about the same...slightly lower for the much smaller Jetta actually. Ford hired a VW designer...perhaps they should recruit some of their safety folks as well :).
    Ford has Volvo in their stable, and has plenty of expertise on the Ford side in safety as well. Taurus was about the first to have dual powered front airbags and sensors to determine passenger location and weight, for example.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    Overall VW's reliability numbers haven't been great as of late, but the Passat seems to be an exception. I haven't checked in the last year or two, but I researched reliability in '99 and '03 when I bought Passats and they were on par with anything Ford was making at the time reliability wise. The Golf, Jetta and Beetle, depending on the drivetrain you choose, can have terrible reliability.

I checked out a new Passat last week, and although I'm not nuts about the new styling, the interior makes the one in the 500 look like rental city.
  • flivverflivver Member Posts: 2
    I just rented a 500 in SLC for five days. Without luggage or passengers, the bottom of the trunk must have scraped the pavement at every speed bump or gutter recession in the city's roads. I went nuts. With passengers, that car is so low to the ground that we nearly high centered it on more than one occasion. It was a shock to see how poorly engineered that car is all in the name of trying (apparently) to have the industry's largest trunk. What is Ford thinking? This is so basic... I've rented a Milan and a Fusion and think they are great, but the 500 is just an awful car when going over indentations. I love the Mustang, fusion and Freestyle, which (I know) shares the 500s underpinnings, but it is different and good/much better than the 500. I just hate that car!!!

Has anyone else shared a similar experience with this car?
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Never heard of this before, in fact the 500 is higher off the ground than many competing sedans. Yours must have been crippled.
    Try driving one on a Ford lot . . . that rental sounds like it's been HIGHLY abused or modified!
  • Ground clearance on a 500 is 5.1 inches...not much different from most sedans.
    It's the H-Point which is the major difference against other sedans.
    I still say there's something wrong with that particular 500 if its rear-end is scraping bottom with nobody in it but the driver (and no luggage).
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    on Saturday for an '06 Pueblo Gold AWD 500. For those of you with CVTs I'm curious as to how many miles you racked up before you stopped noticing its operation? Mine sort of lopes from time to time at speeds under 30. But I've only got 250 or so miles on it so I'm hoping its still learning my driving habits and will knock that off after awhile. Other than that I have no complaints.

Have any of you tried to hook up some sort of Aux Input Jack to your factory radio to plug an MP3 player into? On
    http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/b2c/featured_accessories.asp?id=25
    they have something called TripTunes but that supposedly won't fit the 500's radio. Or will it?

Thanks...
    To create an AUX-in for your radio, you need one of these:

http://logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html

With that, your AUX button on the radio will activate the AUX-In you just created.

NOTE: This assumes you have one of the radios that has an AUX button on it. It also assumes that you do NOT have a Rear Seat Entertainment System installed.

This device is a great way to hook up your Ipod and CONTROL it:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Harman-Kardon-Drive-Play-DP1US-/sem/rpsm/oid/1336- 14/catOid/-12927/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

But you still need the PIE adapter shown above.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    There is a replacement door available, under warranty in most cases, with a molded plastic surface. And there have been reports of the bubbles coming back in the older doors even after they have been burst by the pin method.

I recommend having the door replaced. I did. And it's fine.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Did Ford make any changes or improvements to the 2006 Five Hundred model?

Are there any differences between the 2005 vs. 2006 model years?

Thanks!
    Yes, stone protection was added a few months into 06 production (plastic cladding at the bottoms of the doors) and the mid-door bumper guards were no longer used.

Navigation systems became an option (not available before).

And one other thing, which I can't remember at the moment.

The big changes are to come in a bit less than a year now, for model year 08 (new Six Speed transmission, new 3.5 engine (optional or standard?) and probably dropping of the CVT, new front grille resembling the Fusion, new rear styling and satellite radio becomes a factory option).
    They also added the rear seat entertainment system as an option.
    I went to Hybridcars.com under the compacts and sedan category. It lists hybrids out now and scroll to the bottom of the page under "In The Works" lists the Five Hundred! The car of my dreams!

I hope the gas mileage can come close to the 2007 Camry MPG (city 40/highway 38). Anything lower than an averaged MPG than 30 I would go with the Camry. The 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid MPGs 25 city/34 highway is a joke! Why did Honda even bother? :lemon:

Anyone know when the Five Hundred Hybrid is expected to be out? :shades:
    2008 as a 2009 model. Although, it's a 3rd generation system, rather than the Fusion/Milan which will be 2nd generation system.
    Will it stay with a 3.0L displacement engine?
  • Honda bothered because they made the quickest and most powerful Honda sedan a hybrid. This way, they can offer a fast car with mileage that rivals some subcompact 4 cylinders. It is all in what floats yer boat, I'd say.
  • Oh, and don't expect it before the 2010 model year (maybe early in 09). This will be the third generation hybrid for Ford, and they have all they can do to get the second generation hybrids (Fusion and Milan) out by the 2008 model year.
    GREAT!!! :surprise: Can't wait till 2010 when the competition is years ahead and gas prices are sky high! If they are still using gasoline by then! :mad: :cry: :sick:
    A V6-Hybrid is currently undergoing testing ;)

Second generation Hybrid will include Fusion/Milan/Escape/Tribute/Mariner, while Third generation will include Edge/500/Montego. Edge to receive the 3rd generation first.

Of course, this is "NOW"... I wouldn't be surprised if along the way one of the vehicles Hybrid option is dropped if it doesn't have enough taker (example: 500 Keeps it, Montego loses it..or Escape keeps it, Mariner kills it).

Or if things coincide, they could possibly skip 2nd generation and run into the 3rd provided that suppliers are able to ramp up production.
    Would the Freestyle also get the hybrid?

Hopefully the battery won't diminish the room inside TOO much.
    Yes, sorry I left that one out. Battery pack won't take up much room. It doesn't always need to go in the rear cargo compartment, on some cars, they can be fitted under the 2nd row seats for example.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I'm trying to decide whether I really need AWD.

I understand that the handling is better, but is AWD necessarily safer than FWD? I live in Alabama, where there is little ice, but a lot of rain. Is there an appreciable difference?

Any feedback/weblinks with more info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Yes, stone protection was added a few months into 06 production (plastic cladding at the bottoms of the doors) and the mid-door bumper guards were no longer used.

Navigation systems became an option (not available before).

And one other thing, which I can't remember at the moment.

The big changes are to come in a bit less than a year now, for model year 08 (new Six Speed transmission, new 3.5 engine (optional or standard?) and probably dropping of the CVT, new front grille resembling the Fusion, new rear styling and satellite radio becomes a factory option).

I understand the the 2007 model will be hitting the dealer lots very soon.

Are there any differences between the 2006 and 2007 Ford 500? I am not interested in the 2008 model which will have a new engine along with cosmetic changes.

Thanks!
    I really doubt you need it. I live in Wisconsin and have gotten by just fine with front wheel drive vehicles and no snow tires all year long, though if I lived out in the sticks where the roads don't get plowed as promptly as in the burbs, my tune might be different.

In Alabama, you hardly know what winter is. You probably haven't honed your driving skills on ice, but most people down there stay home at the hint of icy roads right? ;)

AWD will not help you stop any better, and that is the feature you usually rely on to avoid accidents.
    AWD should help with control in the rain. It won't help you STOP, but it can help if some of the wheels start to lose traction, and the other wheels can "pick up the slack".

I have the AWD on my Five Hundred. I mainly got it to ensure that I got a CVT. But I also got it on my Freestyle (bought before my Five Hundred). Whether it's worth the extra 2 grand, 200 lbs, and reduced gas mileage is somewhat debatable. For me, it was. But I can certainly understand why others would say it's not.
    Yeah, it's basically a holiday here in central Alabama (the Birmingham area) when winter weather is bad enough to ice over roads to any extent, so not much chance for icy road driving. I would be doing mostly city driving, with about a 10 mile commute on some hilly roads.

So, it sounds like I would have little need for the AWD (and can thereby save some $$).

I've had AWD on my Honda CRV, but I doubt I've had much need for it with that vehicle either.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I wish they made the CVT available with FWD. It sounds as if you would be wasting money to get AWD.
    I just did a dealer search in my area and found at least 8-10 front wheel drive Five Hundreds with CVT among the 5 closest dealers. They are out there.

Ford has a great dealer search feature on their web site for specific configurations you are looking for.
    Yeah, I think you can get a FWD with CVT on the SE trim.

CVT doesn't matter that much to me... I kind of lean toward the Mercury Montego stying vs the Ford Five Hundred, and with the Montego it looks like you can only get CVT with AWD.
    Speculation is that the CVT will NOT be offered in 2oo8 on the Five Hundred/Montego, at any trim level.
    Went out to three local dealerships today, the first had all their 07's hid in the used car section service bays AFTER MY WIFE AND I WALKED ALL OVER FOR 15 MINUTES, the next had theirs HID DEEP in a fenced area where the fleet trucks are parked. This particular one is merlot/blk leather with chrome wheels, and looked pretty spectacular from the fence of course. The merlot paint looked a little MORE cranberry ie brighter. The last dealership had theirs outside but away from all o6's like the other dealers(sounds lika a game plan to me). Theirs was the new dune and pebble leather, not attractive combination to me, with chrome wheels and the optional grill for an extra $900! The chrome wheels are actually CHROMED PLASTIC ATTACHED IN SOME MANNER TO A CLEARCOATED ALLOY RIM & CENTERCAPS, NOT TRUE NICKEL DIPPED OVER ALUMINUM! The grill is sportier like the Cadillac V's but not worth anymore than what is standard now. Best '07 price I got was $2500 off $32,900 and 4.9% FOMOCO. Didn't GM just flat shave $2500 off all stickers then dealers take another $2500 off with 0.0%? The '07 500? Same ole same ole with a little "fools' gold". I love the 500, the dealers don't love me, so it's either discounted 06 because of the 0.0% or 08/09 Duratech 35- Hey they should be called the FORD 530 and 535!
  • To each his or her own. The 500 is a good car, but hardly one that inspires love...
    Speak for yourself...

7o,ooo happy miles so far....

And waiting patiently for the o8's...and no repairs at all to date!
This discussion has been closed.