Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    On another note, beauty(and quality) is in the eye of the beholder.
    In my case, an in-law called recently to ask what my Freestyle was, she had looked at similar cars recently, and couldn't find any she thought were even close to the interior of my '05LTD. And her family isn't Ford oriented.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I wonder if Ford ever looked into applying a soft rubber to the switch surfaces similar to what is used on the soft grip pens.

I just don't think that symbols printed on this type of material would resist fading.

Mark.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Let me explain, step by step:

The stereo controls and LCD are so dated, all the competitions have way better and more intuitive controls. This stereo system (from the Five Hundred), with some tiny uncomfortable controls was first used in the F150 (if I remember correctly), which was praised all over for the beautiful cockpit (a first for Ford in recent years), and so was the climate controls. Since then, Ford applied the same controls into most new Ford, Mercury and Lincoln vehicles.

While the overall appearance in the F150 was very good and light years ahead of the previous generation, if you look part by part, you can see that not everything is perfect. The LCD on the radio with old kind of green clock-like letters is so outdated compared to other vehicles. And just adding an AUX/IN plug will not help much for the design. The controls itself is also not so clever.

And so are the temperature controls. Especially the automatic, which is needlessly overly complicated. Of course it's nice & organized, and looks good when you see it first, the Fusion, for example, looks very nice with the analog clock and other gadgets, but start using the controls and you see it's not easy, and not well designed. The new 2007 Camry is much better designed (despite their quality problems recently).

Every vehicle needs a change after many years, and especially if all brands are using the same parts (OK, Lincoln have it in silver instead of black). It's not a good idea to have just one kind of stereo system or temperature controls and using them across the board. There should be different for the trucks, vans and cars. The new Focus looks much more promising, and shows that Fords know how to build a nice executed interior.

And what's about the gauges? Most competitors using already the optitron which is beautiful. The white-background also must go. It's not practical for day driving, and not adding anything tonight, and are just distracting at evening hours. I also don't like the rotated letters (numbers) on the gauges, and the way-too tiny dials for the fuel and engine temperature.

The steering wheel controls is very nice, but also too much in such a small space. It could be designed better. Just look at other manufacturers how they do it. They are all easier to use than Fords.

I’m sorry for the long post; I just wanted to clarify myself.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    The stereo controls and LCD are so dated, all the competitions have way better and more intuitive controls

They seem pretty intuitive to me. Can't imagine how anybody would have any problem figuring them out.

The LCD on the radio with old kind of green clock-like letters is so outdated compared to other vehicles

Works for me.

And so are the temperature controls. Especially the automatic, which is needlessly overly complicated.

I have the automatic. And it's extremely simple to use. At least until you want to use it in MANUAL mode . . then it's a bit more difficult to locate the correct knobs (while you're driving, anyway).

And what's about the gauges? Most competitors using already the optitron which is beautiful. The white-background also must go. It's not practical for day driving, and not adding anything tonight, and are just distracting at evening hours.

I find the gauges on my LTD version just fine. It's the standard BLACK background versions (on anything but the LTD) that I can't stand.
    other than being more expensive to repair..

Please keep in mind that a Ford Fusion AWD fully equipped with every option but navigation has an MSRP of $27,500. The similarly equipped Nissan Altima has an MSRP of $29,500. For the extra $2,000, you get "intelligent key", bluetooth, 50hp, and a more expensive to maintain CVT. but you loose AWD and give up substantial ride quality.

The 500 is not suppose to aToyotas, Nissans, or Honda, its a Ford and it is competitive and will be more so when stability control and the 3.5L is added this spring.

Personally, I know for a fact that people have purchased Fords from my dealer over supposedly "better competitors" BECAUSE of the way they were treated!

There are many reasons to buy a specific care over another and I don't believe to may people make that decision based on "optitron" gauges.

Mark
    The 500 is not suppose to aToyotas, Nissans, or Honda, its a Ford

Actually, it's more Volvo than Ford. ;)
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    When can we expect to see 2008's on the dealer lots?

What is the EPA on the 3.5L engine?

Does the the 3.5L engine use hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Were any changes made to the rear seat?

What is towing capacity with the new engine and tranny?

Did Ford put the courtesy lights back in the cabin.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    "The 500 is not suppose to aToyotas, Nissans, or Honda, its a Ford and it is competitive and will be more so when stability control and the 3.5L is added this spring. "

Judging by the sales numbers, the 500 is somewhat less than competitive.

I think the new additions will help, but there was a large missed opportunity with the 500's styling. You may not be able to out Toyota Toyota or out Honda Honda, but you can certainly beat them on styling. The Camry and Accord have never been styling standouts. With so much ground to make up in consumer perception (even though we know Ford's latest efforts have matched the Japanese on quality) the 500 really needs to be a knockout to get people to step out of the Toyota/Honda comfort zone.

Part of the reason I run my mouth about this is that I think there's a really good car somewhere in there. The 500 is well built, now has a competitive engine, has amazing rear seat and trunk room, is very safe, etc. But I think by missing the styling boat Ford coughed up a bunch of sales, and the 500 already has somewhat of a stodgy reputation if people know about it at all.

Ford seems to be getting incrementally better with each new car launch, hopefully when a major refresh of the 500 comes along it will be restyled from the ground up.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Interestingly enough climate controls in Edge feel more substantial and made from better material than in 500 or Fusion even though design is the same. Why not replace ACC in 500/Fusion with new one from Edge? And there is new a center stack seen in Mariner/Focus. I did not touch it so cannot say how good it is.

As for gauges – I personally do not like how it is done in Camry/Lexus – too garish and bright for my taste and I do not want gauges to be too big and glare during day. I like more understated design of Lincoln/Mercury/Ford. I do not know is upcoming ice-blue gauges in Fords are good or bad. I certainly do not like it in Acura. Green color is okay, may be red for performance brand like Mazda/Pontiac. Green gauges in Skoda Octavia are beautiful, but red in Golf may be too irritating. And as Ant correctly pointed out VW interior may look nice but after couple of years look pretty worn out and there is a smell also. I like Ford interiors for their sturdiness and common sence.
  • That may be some people's experience with VW, but not mine. Both my Golf and Passat interior parts and surfaces have held up superbly over the years, and both interiors still look better than most anything Ford is putting out now, years and years later. And that is a shame. I suspect though that Ford has now gotten the message and is dancing as fast as it can to make those important peerceptual changes.
    Regardless of quality of materials modern Ford interiors do not look as stylish as interiors from Honda, Toyota and GM. Somehow they manage it look down-market.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    ???

Why even try to hide and camouflage the Montego at this point when the Five Hundred has official photos all over.
    Front looks like MIlan though. I think it looks better than updated 500.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    "I think there's a really good car somewhere in there. The 500 is well built, now has a competitive engine, has amazing rear seat and trunk room, is very safe, etc. But I think by missing the styling boat Ford coughed up a bunch of sales"

Oh man did u hit it here. The 500/ Montego are so boring one could fall asleep looking at them. Such a shame because like you say they have the potential to be great sellers now that they FINALLY have the engines and drivetrain they needed all along. And the "redesign" is geez its practically a joke. They took the grilles from their little cars that are selling better and put them on the big cars that are DOA and now people are going to buy the big ones too? I for one doubt it very much. If they sell 3 more 500s this year it'll be becasue of the 3.5 L, not the 3 bar grille.
    "With so much ground to make up in consumer perception (even though we know Ford's latest efforts have matched the Japanese on quality) "

Dont know what you're talking about here though. Reliability after one year does not mean much. The things are under warrantee for 3 or 4 years. THAT's when reliability begins to matter. You cant say anything about Fusion/500 reliability compared to Japanese for another 3 years at least, IMHO.
    Hope you don't have one of the 500,000+ Toyota trucks that just got recalled.

BTW, check out the annual auto iss of Consumer Reports. The Camry 4 cylinder was WORESE THAN AVERAGE for reliability while the FUSION WAS ABOVE AVERAGE!

Why is it so hard to believe that Ford could build a quality car? Its almost like you people are HOPING it will prove to be unreliable.

Mark.
  • Well, I'm not one of them. I'm just realistic. Why did it take such a long and hard fall for this formerly powerful company to get a clue? For the Fusion to make big inroads on the Camry bandwagon, it would almost take a miracle now. It sits in the showroom next to and between two of the most mediocre designs out there (Focus and 500). The 2008 tweaks of these two won't change that mediocrity much.

Yes, Fusion is quality, but this company still needs incentives to move them in big numbers. There's a long history of missteps that cannot be blamed on disgruntled people like me. And when I see the Saturn Aura and 2008 Malibu and 2008 CTS, I wonder why Ford thinks the Fusion is so bold. It's a darn nice car, but in a field where there are a lot of darn nice cars. What is needed are some bold moves.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The Saturn Aura looks good in a Opel way, but not too cutting edge (when compared to other brands not the recent stale Saturn look). The Malibu looks like a great improvement over the past models, but the CTS looks like a rehash. If anything it appears less bold than the 500 and Focus revisions.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Getting back to the topic, when will the 3.5l cars be available in showrooms?
    Expect July

Mark.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I agree the styling changes are underwhelming. I wish they could have addressed the roofline and C-piller. However, the 2008 500/Montego bring more to the party than just the 3-bar grille and the 3.5 engine.

Based on the media reports, a lot of effort has been made to make these models quieter and more refined with additional sound deadening and structural enhancements. If Ford can get butts in seats for a test drive, my guess is that these cars will be much more impressive than the original models.

I rent cars a lot and have driven 500s on many occasions. My biggest gripe, beyond the styling and lack of performance was road and engine noise. They just didn't feel/sound like a high quality vehicle to me. With the added power and reduced NVH, the new ones might be much more impressive - if you can get beyond the looks.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    But who thinks the Camry or Accord (even the new ones) are daring and advanced? I agree, Ford needs to build those, but also a high quality, dependable car for the average family. And while they are at it, quit trying to cut costs by cutting content as a model ages. Our '06 explorer was a step in the right direction to restoring the looks and feel that had been cut, but the seats still haven't returned to the level of my '96. The LS which I loved when I was an early buyer, lost features and gained virtually nothing until it was dropped.

They just need to take what is a good vehicle and make it better with each model year even when the styling doesn't change.
    Personally, I like the Accord in and out. Like, no more. The Camry exterior is too funky for me. The inside is funky too, but in a modern way.

But they're not the competition for the 500 are they?

Agree on Ford's terrible habit of decontenting cars as they age instead of improving them.
    Same is true for Camry. Each new generation of Camry was of lower quality than previous - more cost cutting. Best Camry (also best styled) was 1992 model. 1997 Camry was decontented version of 1992 with style change that made it king of bland. Last gen Camry has even lower quality than 2002.

Taurus quality since 2003 was absolutely pathetic of course. Ford probably gave up on Taurus at that time.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    But who thinks the Camry or Accord (even the new ones) are daring and advanced?
    I think in 3-5 years the new Camry will look bizarre and the 500, still tasteful.
  • I think in three to five years, the Camry will look dated (and already be completely updated), and the 500 will still look dumpy and anonymous.

I hope by then, that the 500 is either out of Ford's line-up, or injected with a good dose of style, driving dynamics and a choice of engines.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I just took my 05 500 in to the dealer because I have a rip in the driver side body mounted weatherstriping right by the body mounted door latch. They said it was a wear item but will cover it this one time under warranty. Has anyone else had a problem with this area of the door weatherstriping? (I only have 11000 miles on the odo).
    I was thinking that they may have compromised the area when they replaced the door latches under the recall. Anyway the dealership is stepping up to the plate.
  • konocar400hkonocar400h Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone give me a link to a pic of the all new 500? Id like to see it. ;)
    No link, though I did see it at the Houston Auto Show yesterday.

Looked like my 2005 Five Hundred, except for the addition of the navigation/DVD system in front. And, the grill has been replaced with something that looks like chicken-wire fence. :D
  • It's not all new. There are of course some drivetrain, NVH improvements on the 2008 that are great, but those do not help the dull looks. The main change is the Fusion-style grill, but it isn't as sleek or as attractive on the 500. The car still looks very plain. Like sort of an Amish car, only with a bit of chrome. ;)
    Ford will soon announce the renaming the Five Hundred to "Taurus."

A desperate move that will likely accomplish nothing but confusion.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Ford will announce tomorrow February 7th at the Chicago Auto show that they will be changing the name of the FORD FIVE HUNDRED back to the Taurus for 2008.

Sales have not been up to expectations with the Five Hundred Name and the Taurus was top selling car in America for a few years and also the top selling fleet car. A bold move by Ford.
  • A VERY sesnsible move, if true. The Taurus name--even connected to the mediocre car it became--is widely recognized. People know what it is. It was Ford's top selling car, even after they neglected it for years. The name by itself, even with no other changes, will sell more vehicles. I think Mullaly is knocking some heads together.
    I wonder if there will be an uproar from Taurus purists who might decry that the rebadged Five Hundred is not a "true Taurus?"
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Originally, the "what became" 500 was really ment to be a Taurus replacement, but Ford deemed the pricepoints where a bit higher than what traditional buyers would accept them. Long gone were the days of the $16K entry Taurus. Considering some midsize sedans are hitting $30K, and then some, it's a good thing Mullaly thought of this move. Ever since he entered, he has been stating you don't throw out millions of dollars of building a model's name and advertising it, to then just drop it. So here we go.

One of many moves thats shaking up the company brass :)
  • I'm really starting to like the guy. Rational ideas occur to him. What will work is more important than what is cheap.

I think perhaps the Fusion was the more natural Taurus replacement (the Fusion is actually larger than the original Taurua), and the 500 should have become the new Crown Victoria--or at least a Galaxy 500 or LTD. But teh Fusion now has a presence in the market of its own (somethign the 500 never established) In any event, the Taurus will be back, and Ford can now replace the CV with a rear drive model at some point.

It all bodes well. Except for periodic (idiotic) meddling from Ford family members. As long as they have control (and think up ridicuous things like Mercury being able to survive with more creative interior fabrics and surfaces), the company is probably doomed to boom-bust cycles.
    It is more business than emotional decision. Dropping Taurus was stupid in first place. It has some cult following (I am Taurus fan for sure). I had ’94 Taurus. Even decontented it still was a very nice cruiser and beautiful car. AT was a troublemaker but I loved car so much that bought Sable next time. I will probably never buy Ford again but will always consider its Mercury counterpart.

500 is a better candidate for Taurus name because Taurus never was a sport sedan and Fusion pretends to be - it was a larger (compared to Accord and Camry) midsize family car. 500 is even larger but still it is a midsize car. Taurus name stirs emotions unlike anonymous 500. I actually like Fusion/Milan too.

I don’t know how bold new Taurus will be in person. But definitely it will sell better than 500. Next redesign I hope it may become a real Taurus with beautiful exterior thoughtfully made and stylish (like in original Taurus) interior.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Especially since the car is going through allot of changes for 2008. The real problem is that anyone considering the 'five hundred' is hitting the wall, or buying something else, now that they know this.

I think the five hundred is a great name, and should not go away. The Taurus should be the fusion, but it would cause an uproar to have the taurus made in mexico.

Regardless of what its called, the improvements sould help the car allot. I think the five hundred is the best, more sensible car in the segment. It is ALLOT of car for the money. As long as ford does not raise the price of the replacement (improvement) everything should be fine.

Depreciation on the Five-Hundred will be killer. Meybe I'll pick one up :P

It is a good choice, from a business perspective. The tausus has brand equity in it. It just sucks for anyone considering the Five Hundred today. I hope they don't change the Montego name, at least.

I don't like the steering whell 'partially wood coverred' on the Taurus, but thats minor. This is a very well done car that was very well designed and is a very good value for the money. Why spend 25K on a Camry or accord when for the same price you can have twice the car with no penalty for fuel economy? Why buy an Avalon when for the price of a mid-grade example you can have a loaded Five hundred? Especially with the new engine in it, I just can't believe how well designed the car is. Style i find boring but that should be changed too. Also, boring is not bad. I have been on the fence with this car for a long time, but if you look passed all the hype and sit in the car, you will see that their are few competitors to offer this level of room and comfort, along with fuel efficiency for the price.

I don't like GM chanign the names of all its cars. That is so dumb. Grand Am changed to G6. Now we hear that name would change in 2010, the legendary Park Ave. Name replaced with Lucerne. I am not saying the new names are bad, but the brand equity lost in the name change is really bad.

The Cavalier name, I understand, had to go :)
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    Yeah, I think this is a sensible move although I have to admit to wincing at the thought of another name change for Ford.

It always seemed pretty obvious from the 500's styling that it was supposed to be the next Taurus. J Mays took a similar approach to the first redesign of the Explorer under his watch: tighten up the details but return to the roots of the original. Take a look at the original Taurus and you can see a clear lineage to the 500. It makes you wonder how this thing would have sold had they kept the Taurus name all along.

This will be a very interesting marketing experiment. If sales take off I wonder if we'll see a rash of old model names coming back in Detroit? ;)
    I wonder if there will be an uproar from Taurus purists who might decry that the rebadged Five Hundred is not a "true Taurus?"

Not me . . the Five Hundred is everything the Taurus should've become . . in a slightly larger package.
  • diecast61diecast61 Member Posts: 11
    At the end of last year -- I took my father shopping for a new car. I live in GA -- he lives in NY. I had no intention of buying a car. We came across a 2005 Montego Premier AWD leftover -- (50 miles on it)

After sitting in it -- taking it for a test drive -- and looking at the features for the money -- I decided this was definitely a GREAT buy at 21,600.

Since I typically buy a car with the intent of running it into the ground -- and that the differences between the 2005, 06 and 07 are really minimal -- all the better.

Yes -- off the line it could use a bit more power -- but I'm not drag racing. On the highway -- the car flies and acceleration is terrific.

Passenger leg and head room -- along with cargo space is great.

So far the mileage has lived up to the rating -- Highway (I have a heavy foot -- typically 75 to 85 mph) I average 25+ mpg -- and around town -- between 18 and 20.

People complain that the exterior styling is boring. You must also think that the BMW 500 series and the Mercedes 300 series is boring too. Numerous people have told me from the side it and back it looks very similar to either of these cars. I think the fact that it is black -- with 18" wheels has a lot to do with it. This car seems to look much better and more luxurious in black and the dark gray than many other of the colors in which it is offered.

While many may not agree -- ALL in ALL -- in my opinion -- this car is a great value for the money.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I hope they hope they don't change the Montego name, at least.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=24679
  • Good move.

Now, if they bring the Mondeo over, they could still use the Montego name.
    According to Ford the mercury will be called the Sable again.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    They should have NEVER changed their names in the first place! They should not have changed names over at Lincoln either.
  • Like I said, good move. The names never should have been changed, for sure. Lots of dumb moves under Bill Ford's watch. I think Mullaly and the market have put a lid on some of the nonsensical culture around the company.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I am upset.

What will the depreciation on the Montego be? This really sucks for some people. I do hope that customers forgive ford for playing musical chairs with its names.

oh man :mad:
  • I don't think it will affect resale at all. Due to tne Montego's low sales and lack of recognition, resale isn't anything to write home about. Becoming the Sable isn't likely to upset that applecart. Heck, if the Sable actually sells in better numbers, it could help the Montego.
    The problem with sales of the Ford Five Hundred isn't the name. Car critics have been saying for the past couple years the car is too mainstream, to bland, nothing exciting. Call it what you want, sales will not increase with a warm over freshening for 2008, and a name change to Taurus, a car name that was fleet champion throughout its 21 years of service. It served its purpose during its run, were in different times now where exciting looking cars are in the pipeline from all manufactures. The 2008 Taurus will look more like the Fusion. Consumers are too smart for that. Lets see where sales are of this NEW Taurus a year from now.
This discussion has been closed.