Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Maybe he means each 500 will be accompanied with a genuine operators manual!

I've heard nothing about anything being available at product launch for 500 and Freestyle except the 3.0 Duratech. If the 3.5 is available at product launch, then Ford is keeping a tight lid on the information.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    And from what I have seen, it's not in the cards even this year, as much as they try.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    there is only one engine choice listed in the Order Guide.

the Duratec 30. 203 hp, 207 lbft of torque.

Interesting is that the final drive figure on the cars with the 6-speed auto is 3.46 with the CVT final drive at 4.98 for the FWD and 5.19 for the AWD!!!

Also interested is that the AWD will have standard auto leveling shocks... These are hydraulic shocks from Sachs that will use rebound energy to pump-up the shock level under load....NEAT!

Mark
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks to some of you that understood what I meant when I used "manuals" in one of my posts. Maybe the proper term would have been brochures. If I wanted to find out something about "manual transmissions", I would have said so. There is plenty of speculation going on concerning these new models. Dave2222, thanks for a new view about the 3.5. Could someone explain what Post #888 is talking about when he described the different gear ratios? I'm a little unsure of what all those numbers mean. Thanks....JJ
    Those are the gear ratios of the transmission. Higher the number, quicker it accelerates in other words. Here's 2 sources of info that will explain it better.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18344

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18343
    Today I received a large envelope from Mercury. I was sure it was the BROCHURE I had requested weeks ago. I was all set to see what they were offering as far as options, etc., as well as some pictures of the new Montego. All it was was a drawing of the concept Montego, a letter, and a new site to go to to check out the car. It's...rediscovermercury.com. I went to the site and there is nothing really new. I checked back on the Australian Fords again. I'm still blown away by the cars they have there. They would destroy whatever is being sold in the U.S.A.
    That should have been one on a ringed brochured, displaying people "peeking" at "something new from Mercury".

And the site included, is really the only preview site for the Montego and Mariner. It's just something to keep your interest going.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, it backfired. I got it, too.

Considered it an insult.

When, oh when does this silly embargo end?

Before or after I have bought a competing product?
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I too requested brochures for the Fivehundred and Freestyle and am still waiting. What's more, I also requested a 2005 Focus brochure and have yet to receive THAT one! The 2005 Focus has been on sale over a month already. Ford's marketing department sucks.
    I thought production was scheduled to begin July 12...barring any labor action at the plant (about which I have heard no recent news).

Meanwhile, perhaps the embargo is ending soon:

http://tinyurl.com/ywabp
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I saw a Five Hundred, Freestyle, and 2005 Mustang at the "Taste of Chicago" at Grant Park on Thursday. They were obviously prototypes. The back seat in Five Hundred was huge. I guess that anyone in the Chicago area can see the cars before the "Taste of Chicago" closes on Monday.
    So, what did you think?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The only thing about the Five Hundred and Freestyle that impressed me is the huge rear seat space. The Five Hundred was an SEL with AWD. The Mustang was a GT with a manual. The interior trim on the Mustang was sloppy, but the car was not a production example. The cars were locked, so I wasn't able to sit in them. Because the Ford exhibit was not on the main thoroughfare of the "Taste of Chicago," not many people were looking at the cars.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They don't suck. When I requested a Freestar brochure they sent me one right away and I got it a week later.

And by the way, The Ford fleet site has color info and color swatches for the Montego, Five Hundred, Freestyle, Mustang and Mariner.

The exact site is www.fleet.ford.com
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    of the arrival of sales brochures has little to do with a marketing dept's actual abilities, and is a poor metric by which to measure.

~alpha
    Fuel mileage estimates have been released by Ford, follow the link...

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17877&ma- ke_id=92
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I like the figures on the here-to-fore non existent four wheel drive 6 speed model as opposed to the all wheel drive and front wheel drive with the CVT.
    I really wonder what is going on with that. Four Wheel Drive vs. All Wheel Drive? I thought ALL all wheel drive models came with the CVT. And, at least at first, it was the FRONT wheel drive that would NOT come with CVT.

Is this a typo? I would have bet it is front wheel drive with the CVT that gets the highest mileage, and still think so, if that configuration existed. Not only that, this same four wheel vs. all wheel drive config mileage exists in the media release for Freestyle. So, it appears the four vs. all wheel drive distinction is accurate. What is going on here?

Note that nothing in the ordering guides we have seen so far has even hinted at this.
    It's definately a typo. Look how the Mustang for example, is listed as a 4Speed Automatic, when in reality it's a 5 speed. There's quite a large number of typo's all over that report. I'm pointing it out so it's fixed by the proper person.
    OK, now I'm confused, again. Isn't 4 Wheel Drive the same as All Wheel Drive?? Also, the reports I've seen show the front wheel drive as either a 6 speed auto, or the option of the CVT. They also show that if you order the All Wheel Drive, you have to take the CVT, no auto tranny is available. I'm really wondering what the hell is happening if Ford releases these specs, and most of them are wrong. Makes you wonder if maybe there are many more screw-ups ahead. Considering how they dropped the ball with the 3.0,and now these specs, I'm starting to get a bit leery.
    The person that typed this up, did not engineer the vehicle I promise you that. One has no relation to another.
    I've read some articles where they say that even with the small V6, the CVT will give you plenty of power. I still don't understand this concept. Has anyone ever driven a car with a CVT? If so, was it that much different from an automatic tranny? Does the car still have the feel of shifting, or is the tach the only way to tell. As far as the AWD, how much does that affect the overall ride quality. I've driven nothing but front wheel drive cars for as long as they've been around, and was wondering how much different the AWD will make the car feel. I'm worried the AWD will make the ride too rough.
    With CVT, you won't feel the shifts as your used to in a regular step transmission. You will press the gas, the tachometer will shoot up depending on the pressure you place, it'll stay at that revolution, till you easy off the gas.

This improves acceleration, since loss of power between shifts isn't an issue. If your already AT the speed you need (say 55mph) and you want more power, slam the gas, watch the tach jump up to say 5000RPM, it'll stay there, till you let go and have the desired speed.

If you want a HINT of how CVT will shift (provided your current car shifts are unperceptably smooth) Crank your radio very loud, and drive as usual... And that sensation of need hearing the engine rev up and down between shifts, will give you an idea.

Some Ions, Civics, hybrids, Murano, A4, have CVT's in them already you could test drive.

The AWD for the 500/Freestyle is a Haldex system. It'll only kick in when it senses slip of the driving wheels. So you don't have the usual wear associated with full AWD systems, nor the weight penalty either. Same system used by Volvo.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    I just hope Ford worked the bugs out of this transmission. It seems to have more than its share of troubles with its automatics.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    So does Honda lately.

Amazingly having driven nothing but Big Three new cars since 1972, the only one I have had a transmission failure with is the first, a 1972 Chevy Malibu. The others, among them two Caravans and two Tauri both models that have been "notorious" for supposed transmission issues, I have no transmission problems, or for that matter no engine/drive train problems either under warranty or after. Just lucky, maybe?
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Ford's history of transmission troubles extends much further back in time. I'd hate to see an otherwise attractive vehicle such as the Five Hundred plagued by transmission woes.
    Usually it was always the FWD that had issues... My family had only RWD V8 vehicles, and we have never experience any issues with transmissions.
    Do most AWD vehicles have the same type of make up as far as the mechanics go? Ant, you said something about the Haldex system from Volvo. Will the drive wheels be in the rear? If so is this the usual configuration? Here on Long Island there are times when the AWD will come in handy. I'm wondering what it will feel like when I drive from snow onto dry pavement. I never realized that there were so many cars already using the CVT. I'll check some out tomorrow, thanks to all.....
    The Haldex system drives the front wheels unless and until slippage is detected...
    When slippage is detected, it'll send power to the rear wheels, enough to get you out of the problem. When it sees your doing ok, it'll switch back to FWD without you noticing. This happens in milliseconds, so you won't even know it's working.

The benefits of this system is, it's more fuel efficient than a Fulltime All Wheel drive system. It's simpler in mechanics, and easier to repair if there is an issue. Less strain on the engine and drivetrain. And without the weight penalty of 400-600lbs, like other AWD systems (weights around 140-180 lbs). It's really all most people will ever need.

Now, take a true All Wheel Drive system (as trucks would use), and it's a much more complex, costly, weight increases system that isn't necessary for a car that's a simple sedan. Trucks have different needs, so they require a different type of All Wheel drive, 4 Wheel drive, etc.

And then ONCE you get into 4WD and AWD systems, there's differences, depending upon the manufacturer's. There's some All Wheel Drive system that are Full Time, which means they are turning all the wheels, at the same time... And sometimes, they'll turn the rear one's, more than the front one's. (Like X-type), referred to as Rear Wheel Drive biased, BUT it's a full time permanent AWD system.

Then you must ask, what type of coupling/differential, and how it works. There's some (Subaru and/or VW's I believe) where it'll slip, and send power to even a single wheel if needed.

Then you have 4WD systems, like Ford's Control Trac. You can control if you want 4WD HI, or Lo Range, Automatic (till it detects slippage) and off if need be. These are more complex systems and adds roughly 300lbs to the vehicle. Obviously, suited for SUV/trucks.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    If they would add a rail diesel then they would have a nation wide best car.
    I too would like a diesel version, although many manufacturer's are a bit hesitant till the legislation protects such an investment, and lower sulphur fuel is introduced nationwide.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Of course, I've not driven a car with CVT, but I do have a Quad (4 wheeler to some) with a CVT, and another with a standard 5 speed. I can tell you that the CVT is the best climber I've ever seen, has as much power with a smaller engine, as the 5 speed quad has with a larger motor, and will go just as fast. The only downside to the CVT IMO, is that they tend to rev a lot starting up, but once they're engaged, they get darn efficient.

As to the AWD vs. FWD, I wouldn't worry. I have had 3 2WD Mountaineers, and then on this last one, an 04, I sort of had to take an AWD model, and it drives actually better than the others. Certainly, doesn't ride any worse, possibly better. It's more sure footed, but in this climate, it rarely gets used. If anything, the AWD will eliminate the torque steer from the FWD model, which is a real plus to me.
    Yesterday was 12 July. The day production was to have begun in Chicago for the Five Hundred. Provided the union did not have a work stoppage, of which there was talk.

This article, in today's Detroit News, says the Five Hundred will go into production this summer. Not that it began yesterday:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0407/13/a01-210687.htm

Quote: The Atlanta plant also will be able to build Ford’s new flagship sedan, the Five-Hundred, which will go into production this summer in Chicago. Unquote.

So, did production begin yesterday? Or not?

Curious minds want to know.
    John, it's going well. The line is starting up VERY slow to make sure there isn't a launch fiasco. Everyone has been instructed that if something doesn't look right, then just STOP the line, and call one of the higher up's to make sure they are doing it right and all is running smoothing.
    It says here that they have started up the lines for the 500/Montego. Does anyone know if this is fact ? If so, when will the cars be available, or maybe the brochures. I've been doing a lot of research on the CVT, and it looks good to me. If I decide to buy one of these cars, I'm almost positive I'll get the CVT. I just hope I don't regret it. Part of me wants to get either of these cars now, and the other part says to wait for the new engine, with better horsepower. I'm dying to test drive these cars to feel how it drives with the new suspension, etc. I'm hoping for the good luck I had when I bought a Mercury Sable LS, back when they made the first real body change. Not the one where it looked like a fishbowl. I think it was 1992. That car was amazing, ride wise, and comfortable as hell. It was my first Mercury after only having Fords. It was truly a great car. Maybe I'll get lucky again....
    and then in 2-3 years, I'd get another one with the upgraded engine. Gives me something to look forward to. But then again, that's why I'm in the Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous forum too.....

In 92, I was driving an 87 Sable, and was sniffing around the L/M dealership one night at a 92 Sable with a wing on the back. Still not sure how it happened, but I left with a Continental.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Ray
    Who is clearly (and sadly) in need of joining . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    So far everything is up and running quite well. Some people will freak over the CVT and how foreign it might feel to them. The vehicles are nearly dead silent at 70MPH and much of that is attributed to the tight design. Doors close with a reassuring thunk. Whole body feels quite tight which translates into good handling.
    I hope it's as good as it sounds, because it's not going to draw much of a crowd standing still, from the pics I've seen so far.
    Ant, thanks for the constant input on these new cars. It has helped me, and probably others, in our research. I'm just wondering how you get such detailed info. The statement about the CVT makes me even more excited. That would be a first for me, and probably many others to drive a car at that speed and hear almost nothing. I wonder how these cars will stack up in ride and noise against the big boys, Lexus, etc. These cars are sounding better and better. Is there a certain site we can check to see what's going on with the initial production, and where I might find some reviews. Any help would be appreciated
    I wish there were such a site, unfortunately there isn't. Look for Camry/ES330 hushness.
    I was wondering if anyone had any news on what's up with these cars. I know they're being produced, but when might they hit the showrooms? Ant, you drove one of these already? Or did someone tell you about the quiet ride they offer? Things must be really bad, at least in the New York City metro area. The deals that they offer now are insane. Ford was offering $7000 off on a new Freestar, and all kinds of other deals. The dealers here on Long Island all seem to be loaded with cars. I got an invite to a Mercury dealership to stop in, test drive a car, and you get $75. Also you are entered in a contest to win some really cool prizes, as well as big bucks off on any car. I wonder what this huge backup of cars will do to the prices on the 500/Montego. It will be an interesting Fall to see how much they offer.
    The Freestar has it's own issues. Priced high and not as competitive as other's would like it to be, hence, Large rebates.

So far everything is fine in the home of the 500....
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Any new info on our heart throbs? I don't remember being so worked up about something since Christmas 1958. I tried to figure out Post #933's info on the production figures. Way out of my league trying to come up with an answer. I was checking out another forum called MYFord500.com. Some minor things that I picked up, but nothing earth shattering. It has a bunch of forums on the interior, colors, exterior, etc. Does anyone know of anymore sites like this?? Maybe one called mymontego.com?? Thanks.....
    Time for the frequent question...

Many, many weeks ago I asked when the press embargo on this car would be over.

The answer? Two weeks, I was told.

So, many two weekses over, I now ask again.

When can we expect to see reviews, more information, etc., on this car?
    Next month issues of a few automotive mags...
    Two Weeks. :)
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    What do you think will be the zero to sixty time? My best estimate is 8.6 seconds.

The best-accelerating version will be the front wheel drive with the six speed automatic, since the overall first gear ratio will be 14.359, and it has 6 gears, allowing it to keep the engine at its torque peak without big jumps between gears.

Taking that one step further, it means 207 foot pounds x 14.359 = 2,972 foot pounds will be available to move 3,643 pounds of car, or 1 foot pound for every 1.2256 pounds of car.

By the way, one post long ago I mentioned that the Navigator may feel far faster than it is, but did not mean to say anything negative about another member who owns one.

I am back to looking at the Five Hundred because I have concluded that I really would rather have a work car with cargo separate from passengers, meaning a car or pickup, and that I would far rather have a car than a truck (although Honda's upcoming car-truck may be interesting). The huge trunk of the Five Hundred is a rear advantage. Because they were fixated on the European 5 meter length, the trunk of the Chrysler 300 is just not very big. The Magnum wagon is nice and an excellent value, but not if you don't want a wagon.
This discussion has been closed.