Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Your "don't buy a RAV4" comment is shortsighted and is not the way to improve life on the planet."

Its only as shortsighted as the comment you made regarding the RAV4 w/o curtains being a "death trap". Most of its competitors lack the availability of a seat mounted thoracic bag coupled with side curtains.. actually... I cant think of a single competitor that offers this. You can get side curtains in the Equinox and VUE, but no chest protection, you can get a head/chest airbag in the Escape and Forester, but nothing for the rear seat, etc. Are those vehicles all death traps too? And what about the RAV4s STANDARD stability control. One could argue that you're much less likely to be involved in a fatal rollover because of this system, but I suppose youre not interested in that?

If youd really like a RAV4 with side curtains and airbags, Id recommend shooting an email to all the dealers in your area telling them that you want to buy a RAV4, but will not accept one without this safety feature. Toyota does allow for "preferencing" of vehicles, and if the dealer wants your business, it will work for you.

You could always try to contact a non-SET dealership and purchase the vehicle out of state.

~alpha
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    rsholland, it would probably just be easier to admit that you made a mistake on the 4WD issue in the deep south, man.

I would if I believed that to be the case.

Bob
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    I did do that with all area dealers with regard to the 4Runner. Good idea and I hope your comment will inspire others to do the same. Having been awakened in the middle of the night to be told that my only sibling was killed in an auto accident has made me a much more vocal consumer advocate in this area.

rsholland, no sense continuing this discussion with you further. I think it obvious who knows more about what consumers in Memphis in New Orleans desire...2 guys who live there versus someone like you who lives a thousand miles away. you must be a lawyer or something else equally irritating (making a ridiculous argument as devil's advocate).
    1% of 4Runners sold in the south are 4WD. Do you really expect me to believe that?

sbell4 Jul 30, 2004 10:57am

I live in Maryland, not exactly a southern state, but not northern either. By far more 4Runners sold here are 4WD.

Bob
    I don't see how VSC would help if someone runs a red light and smashes into the side of one's vehicle. And I prefer a 4Runner to a RAV4. I merely mentioned the recent side crash result of the RAV4 as evidence that a 4Runner equipped with side air bags and air curtains would be much safer than one without and that consumers should be offered more models with that safety feature. Having been awakened in the middle of the night to be told that my only sibling was killed in a car crash has made me a much stronger consumer advocate of vehicle safety.

rsholland, I think it clear who knows more about what consumers in New Orleans and Memphis demand and your earlier comment to the guy from Memphis that you "don't believe for a moment" his report of what consumers in Memphis desire was pompous and uninformed. end of story.
    Lighten up. If you expect me to believe only 1% of 4Runners sold in the south are 4WD, then you're the one who's got a screw loose, not me.

How 'bout we get back on topic ('05 4Runners, remember?), as this discussion is currently heading for the back ally?

Bob
    You live in Maryland. You don't have the slightest idea about the percentage of 4WD vehicles sold in New Orleans. You have more than just a screw loose. So you go lighten up.
    Do you honestly believe that only 1% of the 4Runners sold in New Orleans are 4WD?

Bob
    I have been looking at 4Runners for over 2 years. I know that somewhere in the neighborhood of 98% of 4Runners sold in New Orleans are 2WD, not 4WD. I am not going to answer any more questions about this. I do not have to substantiate what I know. You made an error in questioning someone who knew what he was talking about and weren't man enough to admit he was wrong. As I said, end of story.
    and I still don't believe you—and it has nothing to do with being man enough to admitting an error. I simply don't believe you. 10% - 15% maybe? That I might believe, but 1% or 2% no way. End of story.

Bob
    OK, but I enjoyed sparring with you. And don't forget to order your 4WD 4Runner with side air bags and air curtains. It could save your life and/or that of your family members.
  • william42william42 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to thank those who have provided info regarding the new 2005 4Runner. I live in Southern California and almost found it impossible to locate a 2004 Sport 4x4 V-8. Of course the color choices were slim and there wasn't a sport with side curtains to be found.

I ultimately settled on a silver one and ordered it over two months ago. I have been considering cancelling in anticipation of the 2005. I would prefer a red or true blue color. Also, if you're going to encourage offroading it seems to me that including the side air bags would make sense.

As a retired officer I know firsthand the value in airbags. The more the better. As for other preferences, I agree with some kind of IPOD attachment hard wired like the BMW X5. A TRD package with a raise, tires, supercharger would be great. It would save me the trouble of doing it after the fact.

Lastly, I know the center console is positioned toward the driver but I would have preferred it to be evenly positioned. It would be more aesthetic and still reachable.
    William, do you know about how much over dealer cost you paid on the order of your Sport? And, correct me if I am wrong, but Toyota never pays a rebate on special orders like that, correct? And so glad you are putting another SAB/SAC vehicle on the road. Obviously, if everyone were as conscientious and demanded them, they would either be standard or would appear on more models in inventory.
    It was 500 over cost. At the time there was only 0% for the loan - not bad. However, I have decided to cancel and wait for the 2005's later this year. In fact, I have a call in to cancel my order for the 2004 right now.

For the amount, I want to get it just the way I want it!
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Instead of bickering, you could just go to www.toyotacenter.com and run some searches to see what's available in the Southeast. That searches the entire Southeast sales region retail inventory, so nothing is left out (except fleet sales).

-Andrew L
    I am truly sorry that anyone has to experience something like you did, and I certainly understand your point about getting the safest vehicle possible. Still, the fact remains that the RAV4 and/or 4Runner w/o side curtains are not in the least "death traps". And my point about VSC was not that it would prevent fatality in a side impact, but that it would significantly lower the chances of rollover, and the subsequent and often serious- injury that can accompany that event.

~alpha
    The info here is good. Salsa Red will be available. V-8 not due until November.
    We will just have to agree to disagree. When a manufacturer makes a product it knows can cause serious injury or death while it has the technology to eliminate that injury or death at relatively little cost and fails to do so, I think it makes the manufacturer's actions reprehensible. Toyota knows full well that NO RAV4s or SR5 and Sport 4Runners in Southern California or the entire Gulf States area are being made available to consumers. It also has the test results of from the Insurance Institute. Whether this continued refusal to provide models with side air bags is the fault of their tiered structure with an intermediary between it and the dealers doesn't matter to me. They should either pressure that intermediary to accept more vehicles with that option or it should just make them standard equipment with an option to delete. That would cure the problem, save lives and probably sell more vehicles. I don't think it will be long before a lawyer figures this out, makes the argument and sues Toyota for injuries sustained by a client in a side impact crash. I know which way I would vote if I were on such a jury.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Wow. You are arguing that a car mfg is not only responsible for the safety of their product, but is also responsible to always provide the product with every safety option readily available. Wow.

With this argument, mfgs would be forced to make every possible safety option mandatory because one could always argue that any car shipped without a safety option was a car that was unsafe.

Why don't we all just give the lawyers half our earnings and be done with it without all this trouble?

Mfgs build a dizzying array of products these days. If you don't like the product Toyota is selling, buy something else.

- Mark
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    I have to completely agree with your post.

Make your choice and then take personal resposibility for it.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Toyota is not forcing anybody to buy a vehicle without side-airbags. Believe me, if they thought it was having a large effect on sales, they would make them standard. I personally would like them to be standard too, but plenty of people are buying ones without. In our area, all V8 Limiteds have side bags, but no other models are ordered with them. Our 05 V6's coming in are also still without.
    Your position is very extreme and, with all due respect, out of sync with reality.

You state "When a manufacturer makes a product it knows can cause serious injury or death while it has the technology to eliminate that injury or death at relatively little cost and fails to do so, I think it makes the manufacturer's actions reprehensible."

You just described every single vehicle manufacturer who does not equip their vehicles with EVERY single safety device possible. Thats every manufacturer on the market, my friend. And where does a mfr like Subaru fall in this case? The new Legacy, which has plenty of airbags and a very strong structure, managed only a "Marginal" in the IIHS side impact?

There have to be limits based in reality.

~alpha
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    toycash,
    Do you work for a dealer? If so, when can I expect to see the 2005 model in the dealerships? From your post it sounds like I will either have to order an SR5 4Runner, the model I want and can afford, with curtain airbags or buy from the competition.
  • ckdexterckdexter Member Posts: 12
    When a manufacturer advertises and represents his product as having certain features, like the availability of options, but in reality, these features are not available to the average consumer, that may constitute a Deception. When Toyota dealers, who are Toyota's agents, train their sales personnel to talk consumers into buying vehicles that are available only with certain (expensive) options and to ignore the unavailable but advertised options, they may be adding the element of "willfulness". (Bait and Switch). The fact that the unavailable options are safety features, may make these arguments more palatable to a jury.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    ckdexter, the place to continue this line of conversation is in our discussion about Dealers' Tricks - bait & switch, etc. In this topic, we're trying to stay focused specifically on the 05 4Runner, and not Toyota's practices in general. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I was not saying a vehicle manufacturer is responsible for all accidents. But remember the exploding gas tanks on Pintos and Mustangs? They only exploded when someone else rear ended these cars. My SOLE POINT was that the Insurance Institute purchased a Toyota RAV4 without side airbags and conducted a side crash test. The vehicle got a POOR rating. Under the Institute's rules, if the manufacturer wants to have another of its vehicles tested again, the manufacturer must supply the Institute with the vehicle at no cost. Toyota exercised this option and supplied the Institute with a 2d RAV4, this time with side air bags and air curtains. That vehicle received the highest rating AND a BEST PICK designation.

My point is that Toyota NOW KNOWS that its vehicles equipped without side air bags have a POOR rating in side crash tests. Its models with them are a BEST PICK. And finally, Toyota knows that its agents are not making models equipped with that life saving option available to consumers.

Yes, someone can buy a safer car. For many years, I only drove a Mercedes. But given that that stupid woman who spilled hot coffee from McDonald's all over herself after she drank it while driving was awarded, what I recall was several million by a jury, I don't think it a small step for a lawyer to say Toyota took no steps to make the safer product available and maybe it should, especially since it is the one that requested the second test with a side air bag equipped vehicle. That's all I said. And I said it in the context of HOPING that Toyota would either make side air bags and curtains STANDARD on all 2005 4Runners or at least make them standard on all Limiteds and equip a much higher percentage of SR5s and Sports with them (perhaps 40%) as options.
  • ohtomaohtoma Member Posts: 28
    With the Tundra getting such a boost in mpg, any rumors on what to expect on the '05 4runner? I'm also getting mixed answers about when the '05s will end up on the dealer lots -- anywhere from late August to October for the V6's.
  • killjoykilljoy Member Posts: 20
    Total revamp of the Tundra in 2006. The Tundra will be totally redone. New engine with more horsepower than anything else. For a truck anyway. From what I got, Toyota is tired of being dead last. Must agree. My 4 runner couldn't get out of its own way.

Couldn't get much on the 2006 4 runner. New engine/more horsepower. I'm talking 300hp. Yes you can get the kit for 5k. Toyota wants to lead the trucks with more HP than any truck out there. Hoping for a total body redo. Maybe a multi link rear. OH man! wouldn't that be nice.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Wasn't the 4Runner all-new in 2003?. I would be very surprised if there were any major changes in body style in 2006. Most SUVs are on approximately 5-6 year makeover schedules.

- Mark
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Its possible there could be a minor face lift on the '06, but nothing major. Normally Toyota will do a face lift for the fourth year of a model.

Launch date is supposedly 8/20 for the V6, but I haven't seen any pricing or vehicles yet. The V8 is scheduled to be released on 11/19.
  • threxxthrexx Member Posts: 42
    It's pretty common for almost any vehicle to receive a mid-life minor style freshening after 3-4 years, especially if certain aspects of the looks have received critisism or if there is a newer competing model that the company feels is taking away sales strictly based on the fact that it has a newer look.

Toyota has made minor cosmetic tweaks to almost all of their vehicles after 3-4 years, cars and trucks alike. The most recent example is the 2005 Camry which was all new in 2002, got a revised V6 motor for 2004 and a minor restyling for 2005... this behavior mirrors what we're all suspecting to happen with the 4Runner which was all new in 2003, will be getting VVT-i for 2005, and likely a refreshening in 2006.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Are these two cars the same in size and performance?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I don't know if they're the same in size, but performance yes - they both have the 4.7L V8 which for 2005 produces 280HP...I think. They are built on the same platform however.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Does the 4Runner V-6 get a 5-speed auto tranny for '05?
  • jwarthmanjwarthman Member Posts: 20
    Otis, to answer your question, yes.

Take a look at the Toyota web site for all the details:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/4runner/specs.html

Enjoy!

-- Jim
    Didn't know they were out yet. Kinda odd that MPG remains at 17/21 despite the tranny getting a 5th gear.
  • 4runnerfan4runnerfan Member Posts: 6
    Good question. Can anyone explain the following: (using 4x2 models as to compare somewhat equally)
    - 2005 V6 Tundra 4x2 which weighs about 4215 lbs achieves 18/25 mpg.
    - 2005 V6 4Runner 4x2 weighing 4090 lbs achieves 18/21.
    Why such a difference in highway mileage?
  • run4runnerrun4runner Member Posts: 9
    I have found the 2005 V6 4Runner is here in on the lot. Take a look on the inventory in one of the dealer from California.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/fleet/showroom.php?action=vehicles- &data%5Bmodel_id%5D=146
    I decided and bought a 2004 V6 SR5 because there is not too much diference, and there is $1000 rebate on the 2004 V6 model and plus addtional discont. I paied $26,888 before tax and license. The sticker price with the delivery charch is $30,789. Total I have got $3901 discont.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    You know I saw that too, While I'm waiting for the new 05 tacoma, it will have same motor. Either there are two different 4.0 v6 motors being produced, or toyota kept the 04' mpg numbers on the 4 runner specs, maybe to update later. The taller, wider, heavier Tundra should not be getting better mileage tha the 4 runner with same engine and 5 spd tranny.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    The Tundra V6 Access cab is only 100 pounds heavier than the v6 Sport. I am not sure about the drag, The 4runner is more of a box, so I would think the tundra is not as inefficant as you might think.
    I'm curious as to what an '05 4Runner is showing as official MPG on the vehicle's display sheet. Anyone had a chance to visit their dealer and take note?
  • jamonrobjamonrob Member Posts: 11
    I just took delivery on "04 SR5 v6 4x4.

Question: I want the Toyota platinum 7 yr, 100k extended warranty. My dealer wouldn't go below $1,175 for it.
    Your input please: a) Is this a decent price? b) Do you know of a better price at another dealer or vendor?
    Thanks
    For best competitive information, call around or email to other local dealers and ask what they are would offer for the warranty. Do not tell them that you were already offered $1175.

~alpha
    Jamonrob,

If memory serves me correctly, you ordered a 4Runner several months back from a dealer in Davis California. How long did it take in terms of months to get your 4runner? Were you satisfied with your experience at the dealership and how do you like your new 4runner?

Regarding extended warranties, I have never purchased one myself; however, I have always heard that they are highly negotiable.
  • jamonrobjamonrob Member Posts: 11
    beanctr,
    You memory serves you correctly.
    I placed the order 3/12/04 in Davis. (Picked Davis since it is my home county and after some research, it was clear I'd have to preference order it. And their price was as good as I could get, although Florin was jsut a cuople hundered more and probably would have come down.)
    Was told by sales mgr it would be 8-12 weeks (after I closed the deal-so it wasn't necesarily a selling tactic). I had seen on the web at that time that the ave length was 3-4 mos. It arrived 8/20/04 or 5+ mos later. I accepted it 8/27/04. Was built in July.
    I can understand the wait to a degree. 4runners are not pushed much by toyota during the past year. Not selling near as many as Sequoias of Highlanders.
    It had the plastic still on it when I saw it on the lot. When I picked it up, had 4 miles on it. Full tank of gas and seemed to be prepped well.
    I liked the idea of it being "new" when you pay 30K for something. And when I was looking at various lots early this year, some on the "new" ones seemed a little trashed.
    Actual exchange - just DMV paperwork and stuff - no price haggleing -- still took way too long -- 2 hrs +.
    Only had it two days. Love it so far.
    Jamonrob, Wow! Didn't realize it took 5+ months. Looks like your patience paid off though. I am getting close to looking at purchasing a SUV, most likely in the next few months. My first choice is the 4Runner; however, I am disappointed to see that for 2005 Toyota still isn't equipping the SR5 model with side curtain airbags in California. I am probably going to wait for October and take a look at the new 2005 Pathfinder and compare it against the 4runner. I want to see if Nissan will do a better job at equipping the their Pathfinder with the side curtain airbag option. At least at this point if I end up with the 4runner, I know that I will have to preference order it.

Enjoy your 4runner and good luck with your extended warranty purchase!
    As an advocate of side air bags and side air curtains, I think you are really wise, Beanctr. I hope you will tell every dealer in your area that you will ONLY buy a vehicle with side air bags AND air curtains. I hope you have looked at the Insurance Institute's crash results on their website. Another interesting piece at http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040725/crash_tests_1.html
    on the crash test of a RAV4 with and without side air bags and air curtains. After these results, it is absurd that Toyota does not equip at least one third or their vehicles with this option. Better yet if they were standard and one could order without them for a reduced amount since so few people don't want them. The idiotic distributor in the Gulf States area also apparently refuses to send any 4-Runners with side air bags to the Gulf States area (except for Limited models). I raise hell with the dealers every chance I get. Keep up the good demand.

Oh, and as far as Nissan goes, get this. Although I live in New Orleans, a Pensacola, FL dealer was trying to help me find an Xterra with side air bags. Guess how many he found equipped with the side air bag and air curtain option IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY? NINE !!! Do you think there is some kind of conspiracy or what?
  • thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    I call 1-800-go-toyota this morning to voice my complaint about the lack of availability of side-impact air bags/curtains on the SR5.

The customer services representative transfered me to 1-800-331-4331 x-314 to log a customer complaint. They seemed very interested in my concerns.
    I did that a while back, too. I hope everyone who reads your post will do the same. It will only take a minute.
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Beanctr, the 2005 SR5 offers the side curtain airbags as an option. Reference:
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/4runner/options.html
This discussion has been closed.