Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Toyota 4Runner

124»

Comments

• seanportseanport Member Posts: 3
    I called Toyota of El Cajon, down here in Southern California, after about 10 minutes on the phone, they very nice salesperson gave me the same MPG as the 2004, even though the engine has been modified for 2005. Those ratings were 17/21 (4WD) and 18/21 (2WD). I find it hard to believe that they have not been improved, but the salesman said Toyota is very secretive about product changes that impact competitive positions.
  • bhead67bhead67 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the 2005's have changed that terrible plastic fake granite/marble that was in the 2004's. I love the 4runner but I can't drive a vehicle that looks that cheap. Did they really think that that would look like granite?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I think you guys put WAY to much emphasis on Side Impact Airbags! The 4Runner is NOT a 3000 lb., unibody, plastic- bumpered RAV4! In THAT size and design of vehicle, side curtains make a major impact on safety.

Since the 4Runner is well over two tons, with much more of a heavy-duty ladder-on-frame steel construction, plus a significant ground clearance and ride heignt advantage, it would take a pretty large SUV (only) to put a hurt on passengers in any type of collision. 4Runner/GX470 crash tests scores are exemplary anyway!

Running to the Pathfinder is a severe overreaction! Worlds better than the '04, it has a flimsy, Exploder-like 3rd-seat, lacs 2nd-row legroom, has a cheap dash design, and no optional V8. And it looks like 3 different teams designed the exterior. And the Edmunds editors weren't exactly doing cartwheels over the ride/handling of the new truck. It has a ways to go before it an be a quality 4Runner competitor. It is a Pilot competitor.

DrFill
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    Let's wait until the Insurance Institute performs its standard side crash test on a 4-Runner without side air bags and air curtains to make the comment that Beanctr places too much emphasis on side air bags. Until the Institute performs that crash, I think side air bags are a much more critical choice than some stupid double decker cargo system and "Extra Mile Package" and that anyone who has any sense of caution would refuse to buy ANY vehicle without side air bags and air curtains.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Wow, how did the human race manage to drive cars for the past seventy-or-so years without side-curtain air bags? If we had any "sense of caution" we should have refused to drive these things until they were invented.

Jeez.

- Mark
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    ppaterson,

Yes, Toyota does state that the side curtain airbag option is available on the SR5 model; however, the fine print states that it may not be available in all areas (as is the case in California). You can only get it on the Limited model here which is several thousand dollars more than the SR5 model.
  • jwarthmanjwarthman Member Posts: 20
    For what it's worth, I test drove a 2005 SR5 V6 yesterday, and it had side airbags.

I'm in Phoenix, which is in the "Denver region".

Enjoy!

-- Jim
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Jim,

Thanks for the info!! I was beginning to wonder where Toyota was really sending the SR5 models built with side curtain airbags. After reading your post, I went to the buyatoyota.com website and put in a Phoenix zipcode to see what option packages are offered on the SR5 in Phoenix. Well, apparently they offer exactly the options I want (curtain airbags, third row seating, etc.). Perhaps somehow a 4Runner with the option package I want can be diverted from Phoenix to a California dealership thereby avoiding having to do a special order... Anyways, something for me to look into. Thanks again for information.
    Beanctr,
    I'm pleased I could help. :-)

Actually, after reading your post I decided to search buyatoyota.com to see if I could find a 4Runner equipped the way I want. Well, I discovered that buyatoyota.com requires me to enter my name, e-mail address, and telephone number. My concern is that I'll be getting e-mail and phone calls from local dealers - which I definitely do NOT want!

Can anyone describe your experiences with this web site?

Thanks!

-- Jim
    You only have to enter in your name, etc if you want a dealership to send you a quote. If you are just looking to see what's available, ignore the fields where you type in personal information and instead go up and click on the "Build Your Toyota" link in the upper left corner next to "Home".
    Hmmmm. I went through the "Build Your Toyota", and that worked as expected. Unfortunately, I couldn't see any sort of list of the inventory that's available locally.

I'd like to see such a list, because that'll help me decide on the options. For instance, I might go for my second or third choice of color if that's all that are available. Or I might pass on the 6-disc JBL system, if none are available locally.

Does anyone know how to get this sort of list, without actually going to the dealer? (One local dealer promised to get me the list when it was updated earlier this week, but failed to do so. When I called, I got a different person, who claimed there are no new V6 4WD Limiteds on the list. Maybe so.... but I'd prefer to be able to see the list myself.

Thanks!

-- Jim
  • mzopinonatedmzopinonated Member Posts: 24
    All of the dealers in my area, southeast toyota, have an inventory search. It will tell you the color and accessories of what is on their lot or what is coming in.
    Same here in the New Orleans area. If you go to any dealer's website, a list of all units in inventory in the entire area comes up. Some websites say "in stock" meaning it is on their lot while some say "available", which I presume means it is in the area at another dealer, but that dealer can trade for it. I sometimes type in zip codes of other towns like Baton Rouge, Jackson, MS, Gulfport, MS or Mobile, AL to see what is available a little further away. Try that and see if it works for you in your area. This is not unique to Toyota....I have done that while looking at Nissan Xterras and Infiniti G35s.
  • dhuadhua Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone who has driven the 05 model first hand chime in please? Does the new 5-speed tranny make the ride smoother? Toyota also upgrades the engine. Does that finally solve the reliability issue Consumer Report had with the 03 and 04 4runners? The V6 engine in particular.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I didn't know that there was a reliability problem with the 04 engine? The 03 had a fuel problem (consumers reports gave it a black mark in that area)that was fixed with a recall. What engine problems are you referring to?
    Thanks,
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    As far as I know, the reliability issue in CR was related to the 2003 model's recall. Reliability ratings for 2004 models have not yet been released for the 4Runner. Often, people fail to make the distinction between the CR "Predicted Reliability" rating, and the repair records that are shown in the April Auto Issue and end of year Buying Guide.

~alpha
  • slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    Yes...there is a difference in the 05 V6 5-speed. It is smoother and the engine and transmission seem... for lack of a better word, more refined. It also seems quieter and acceleration off the line seems stronger with less roaring from the engine. I test drove 2 on Friday and was impressed. Also no wheel vibrations on either. I am waiting another several months for a lease to expire and also to try the new V8. Also, as a side note, the Sales Mgr said the selling price is going for just about invoice for the 05. I believe they want to get a jump start on Sales #'s before the Pathfinder arrives.
    Thanks a lot Edmunds for killing the usefulness of this site by requiring a time consuming sign in with a password I can never remember each time I would want to visit this site. This annoyance continues even though I checked the box that asks that I be remembered on this computer. Whoever came up with this change needs to be fired. Why couldn't you have left well enough alone?
    I don't understand the need for a password either. It's not like we're using credit to purchase something. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME.
    I couldn't agree more! Let's see what the host of the day says. Your are also correct that even though you check the box to remember the password, it doesn't.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    It takes about 5 extra seconds to sign in, and if your cookie settings are not at the highest level, and/or you dont clear your browser after each usage, the check box should work... it does for me. Passwords are required to keep civility and usefulness high. Otherwise, anonymous postings could be made with the potential to be far less fact oriented, offensive to others, etc. Having a sign in name and password also allows edmunds.com to have internal metrics on the performance/traffic of the threads.

Personally, Im just very happy that this service is provided to us for free. And since its free, I dont really feel the need to complain about this particular issue. That said, RIGHT NOW, there is an opportunity to give feedback to the edmunds.com folks, open your eyes and look at the top of the screen. See the big banner that SCREAMS "TAKE THE EDMUNDS SURVEY... WHAT DO YOU THINK? HOW ARE WE DOING.."

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    "And what does any of this have to do with the 2005 4Runner?" one may ask. Why, nothing!!

"I'll take 'things that are annoying' for $500, Alex."
    Please post comments in our software topic instead of spamming the vehicle-specific discussions with your complaints. By the way, it's a bug that's being worked on, not an intended "feature."

Now that you've made a mistake by posting in the wrong discussion, shall we "fire" you from the forums?

And now back to the 4Runner.

Regards,
    Kirstie_H
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• teamgekkoteamgekko Member Posts: 13
    I just wanted to chime in and agree with slarry. Although I haven't drive an 05 V8 yet, they haven't arrived. The V6's are on the lot and the dealers here are asking about $900 over invoice in arkansas.
  • scott78945scott78945 Member Posts: 5
    I have a problem with my 2003 4Runner as the engine has a loud and annoying ticking when you accelerate. I am up to putting in 93 octane and it is not as loud but it is still there. I was wondering if the 05's v6's still have this problem. From what I understand, the V8's don't have any problems at all. Looking to trade mine it as it is too annoying. I have called Toyota and there is nothing they are doing about it.
    As mentioned earlier; the 2 that I drove were perfect. No ticking, no vibration. I can tell a difference in the 05 at least from the 2 test drives.
    Aren't the 05 V-6's exactly the same as the 04's except for the 5-speed Auto? Salesman said "oh-no ... the 05's have a new improved engine". But then again when I told him I wanted to test drive 2 different 4-runners he asked "manual or automatic"?
  • lynx50lynx50 Member Posts: 7
    Regarding the updated 270 HP 2005 v8 engine: 1)will it require regular or premium gasoline? (2) what is the estimated highway and city mileage?
    Thanks for any documented info you may on this.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    The existing V6 version (and comparisons with the existing V8) provides some real-world guidance into what one can expect with the new V8. Maybe more relevant than EPA numbers, as well.

The V6 uses a higher compression ratio than the old V8 and that's probably the major factor in the added horsepower of the new V8; I'll bet the new V8 has a similar compression ratio to the existing V6. Variable valve timing and intake geometry probably make the new engine a little more efficient and yield a little extra horsepower, too. The weight is probably close to the existing V8 and the same transmission and always-on AWD are used.

Speculations: Similar to today, in real-world driving the V8 will probably get about 10% less MPG than the V6, but the gap might narrow a little. With its heavier vehicle weight and always-on AWD, 10% isn't much of a penalty. Due to the higher compression, premium fuel will be beneficial for top HP, but probably not required. The engine will probably breathe a little better at high RPMs, and acceleration at higher speeds should improve a little.

Some things don't change, though. Both V6s and V8s are heavy and not very aerodynamic, so lots of stop/go or high highway speeds (75+ MPH) will yield poor MPG barely above the mid teens. On the other hand, highway trips cruising at 60-65 MPH can give you MPGs (in the V6 anyway) near the mid twenties.

My thoughts, anyway. Other opinions?
  • yobow1yobow1 Member Posts: 29
    I just purchased a 2005 SR5 with the standard radio/CD player. At first I thought it had OK sound quality...until I started driving to work this week. I adjusted the bass and treble to where I ordinarily would listen. But, I found that I reduced the bass and wanted more treble. The system/speakers seem to geared to more bass than anything else. Awhile ago, someone made a remark that the radio/CD system sounded like it was a Wal-Mart special because of the sound quality. I kow what he meant, now. I'm not saying that the unit is horrible and I know that the unit must be good, being JBL, but does anyone have a simple fix to increase its sound quality? Any help/comments would be appreciated.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The new 4Runner V8 does not require premium gas. There are no mileage estimates out yet.
  • eltonheltonh Member Posts: 3
    2005 4Runner

Has anyone added daytime running light to a 2005. Edmunds list it as an option, the dealer tells me it's not an option.
  • ksemedoksemedo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 05 toyota 4runner 4wd and after about 1 week of having it i noticed a ticking noise coming from the left side of the engine. this noise is present whether the m/v is idle or in motion. the dealer said that the m/v is fine and it's just how the engine sounds. i don't buy that!!! can anyone offer any help. thank you
  • thebluewavethebluewave Member Posts: 11
    I have just purchased a '05 (v6 sr5 4x4) and hear the same ticking noise that sounds like a valve but there is much speculation on this. I don't want to type forever, but check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ and search the threads for engine ticking. There you can read all the speculation you want. Dealers say this is how its supposed to sound. I have platinum service contract up to 100k so if there is no fix the ride will be gone before then. At 60k the maint. schedule calls for valve clearance (valve lash) adjustment, which may fix the problem. If your handy you can do this yourself if you want.
    Overall I think the engine is smooth and quiet and the slight tick really doesn't bother me. The brand new '07 I test drove made the same sound. Seems to be only the v6's that do it, aluminum block making more noise? Good luck with your ride, you ain't alone, don't start worrying just yet ksemedo!
  • brians1brians1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased an 05 SR5 Sport model V6 2x4 with full leather (after mkt?) with 12k miles. I found it at a local So Calif Volvo dealer as a trade in. The vehicle didn't sell and was finally reduced to 22k I got it for just under 21k. It has lots of great features, but I really wanted leather. I think it's a good deal, but as this is my first 4runner, any feedback is appreciated.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    There are many places that do aftermarket leather.

One is called Classic Soft Trim.

Do a google search!
    You got a great deal! You would have paid more for that up here, thats for sure (St. Paul, MN).
  • 06runner06runner Member Posts: 2
  • 06runner06runner Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2006 4Runner with the 4.0 liter v6. The vehicle has about 12,000 miles on it and at about 8-9,000 miles the engine began to develop a noticeable tick. The tick is coming from the left bank (Drivers Side) and from what appears to be the center cylinder. The problem is intermittent but noticeable about 80% of the time. It does not seem to matter how the vehicle is driven but the tick is only noticeable when at full operating temp.

I have exhausted my resources for investigating this and have concluded that the problem is injectors or valve train. When using a stethoscope you can here it very well between the two cams above the center cylinder on the driver’s side. The right side has never sounded this way and has only sounded like a typical quad cam aluminum engine with normal valve and injector chatter. I have brought the vehicle into the dealer 2 times and I was told this was normal. On my third visit I was a little more aggressive and all the sudden they to could here this noticeable tick. The dealership suspected that this was the result of a bad injector. They claimed that they would need to contact Toyota about this before they could proceed with the repair. After 5 days (Long story) I was contacted by the dealer and they informed me that Toyota was working on this and that it may be linked with the manifolds or something???? OK, I believe that for about one minute. Considering that a manifold problem would not be so sporadic nor would the noise be so centralized above the center cylinder.

I have attempted to solution this myself with doing the following:
    1. Driving light, Moderate, Aggressive to diagnose or eliminate a possible valve timing/VVT-I issue.
    2. Converted to Mobil 1.
    3. Different fuel types including blends.

I could type all night explaining how I have tried to solution this and have came up empty handed. I would like to add though that this is my first post and thanks to all of you and this site I have been able to research and educate myself on some of the issues.

Can anyone help and does anyone have a detailed schematic of the valve train and injectors for this engine. I would like to continue to document and develop my theories?

Thank you!
    Man, I spent so much time researching this one myself that I just about gave up. I have an extended warranty to 100k so if I can't fix it or figure it out by then I'm going to trade it in, making sure I document the fact that a dealer said nothing was wrong. As far as I know, fuel and oil makes no difference. My engine makes the noise about half the time, and it always runs the same so I'm not too worried. You could check out other people's experiences on toyota-4runner.org or yotatech.com and read for hours if you want!
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I have the same noise on my '06 4R V6 since new. I've driven other new 4R's with the same noise. I've found this info for Tacoma's with the same engine as the 4R (V6).

The TSB reads;
    "2005-2006 model year Tacoma vehicles........."
    "Some customers may experience a ticking or tapping-type noise from the engine area at 2000-2500 rpm during acceleration that is most noticeable after a cold soak. New exhaust manifolds have been developed to minimize this condition".
    Part numbers for the (new) exhaust manifolds are;
    RH, 17140-0P070
    LH, 17150-0P070
    Gaskets (2), 171173-0P010
    Warranty Code, EG5027
  • mammut1mammut1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I was just wondering, can anyone tell me about a 4runner I have found. It has the rear spoiler of the Limited, leather seats, but i don't think they are power (after market)? The entire truck is black, with black running boards, roof racks and trim and is an american vehicle being sold in Canada. Are the US models different, other than the speedometer? I'm just not too sure as it seems to have different options from different models all thrown together....Thanks very much
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Limited trucks sold in the US have power front seats. I have no idea about differences between US and Canadian models.
  • 05toyo4runner05toyo4runner Member Posts: 1
    can anyone please tell me a good site for grille gaurds or push bars with good quality at a good price for an 05 4runner sport. thank you.
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    Hi: I'm thinking about purchasing a 2005-2006 4Runner..I've always had Jeeps before but I'm tired of them at this point and I want something that drives much smoother and gets a little better gas mileage. Can anyone please give me any pointers about the 4Runner?
    I like Toyota products so I would think the 4Runner would be a good SUV. Also, how are the cloth seats as compared with the leather? I'm looking for a comfortable ride and a pretty quiet ride also. I appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Steve (Jeepster53@aol.com)
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    Steve, After 330,000 miles and 2 Jeeps later I just changed over myself. In fact I picked the plates up yesterday. I had a 93 Wrangler with 150k and a 02 Liberty with 190k on and I could not be happier. I purchased a used 2006 Limited 4 Runner without the nav and air ride, 8 cyl. The ride is much different from the Jeep, a much more comfortable ride. I do miss the Jeep a little bit though.

The 06 I bought had less than 30k on and was maintained at the dealer so I had access to the records via my salesman. I paid less than 20k for it.

Brian
  • felix43felix43 Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 toyota 4runner 8 cyndiler will not rev up past 2 rpm since the barrtery died. It took me 2 weeks to get a new batterry the car started starts but will not go past 2 rpm. could it be a fuse that burned out since I did try and jump start it many times
  • easyteasyt Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 2002 4Runner to the dealer for oil & filter with 118,000 miles on the odo. Ended up spending $800 for replacing all belts including the timing belt (not a timing chain on this model) . I intended to put it off a little longer but they discovered a bad leak in the water pump (I check it myself). Guess the 90,000 mile inspection that I skipped ain't a bad idea after all.
  • memphisjasonmemphisjason Member Posts: 1
    Passenger side rear blinker works, but is VERY dim. Can I figure out and fix this myself? Or do I need to take it in?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.