Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    hey mtngal, how is it that at higher speeds your gas mileage went down? I would assume that it would be much better than in stop and go driving.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mtngal means that her Jeep gets better mileage on the highway at less than 70 MPH than it does at speeds over 70 MPH. Same is true of my Thelma Jane.

Jeeps have no areodynamics, and the wind drag hurts mileage at the higher speeds.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My gas mileage goes way down when it is really windy also. I usually can do 2 round trips to work before I have to fill up, but when it's windy I'll have to fill up before that. Actually slow and go isn't bad - just put it in first or second and leave lots of room between me and the person in front. I try not to stop or change gears. Keeps the drive interesting. Also since I'm not sitting still the gas mileage stays OK.

My best gas mileage speed is between 60 and 65. Not too bad from 65-70 and terrible over 70. I don't think I've ever run a full tank of gas just going uphill, so I don't know if going up makes much of a difference. Since my commute is both up and down hill, I figure they cancel each other out, and it might not make much difference. I don't have much to compare it too - I can't think of the last time I drove on more or less level roads. Even the drive to Vegas has some major hills on it! And since my heart belongs to the mountains, I tend to vacation in them - just bigger ones than I live in!

dwrangler - speaking of hockey, you would be surprised how much hockey gear you can fit in the back of a Wrangler!
    Hey, you are disappointing me. You asked about Gill's, and I have been watching for you the last couple nights, but no Kahuna. :(

Come on and join us there tonight! How's the Jeep shopping going?

Tom

Posted some pics of Thelma Jane having fun at Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana. They are in the Owners Photo Gallery section here in the Jeep Owners Club.

Nothing spectacular about them, but no one was taking pictures during some of the toughest places we went through.

Tom

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Got my Sport on Monday and the windows and various parts were etched with an ID number. I thought it was the VIN, but it is a registered ID number instead.

Talked with my current insurance company about the etching and they were going to give me a discount of $194 a year. This would put my insurance down to a few dollars less than the AIG quote. AIG also does not offer discounts for etching in TX.

Went to my insurance company yesterday thinking the VIN was on the windows and when we looked it was the ID number instead. My agent did not know if I would qualify for the discount without the VIN, but would call the company to find out.

Still waiting today for word from my agent, I started calling around to glass shops to see who etched glass in the area. No one knew, but one shop said to go to Hobby Lobby and get their glass etching kit.

I called my Jeep dealer, Benny Boyd in Lampassas, TX. and told them what was going on. I asked them who did the actual etching and what it might cost to get a VIN put on. I mentioned that Hobby Lobby had a kit, and I wondered how it would do on the glass. The dealer said the glass would not be a problem, but the metal would. Told him the insurance company was not worried about the glass and he thought they were nuts. The dealer said they would contact the company that makes the stencils for the etching to check on prices and get back to me. Ten minutes later he called back and wanted my VIN. Said that the stencils would be in next week. I asked him what the cost would be and was told that they would do it for free.

Do it for free? Thank you Benny Boyd. A 40 or 50 mile round trip from work and some time and that is it.

266 miles on the TJ. Am planning on putting the wheels and tires on next Tuesday.

Still doing the break-in driving. In the evening I hit all those back roads that I normally do not use. Relaxing and it is giving me a feel for how the vehicle handles before I start driving at speeds of 70 or 75.

I am a happy camper.
    You're making me miss Texas! The last Jeep sales person I talked to knew very little about jeeps, just couldn't deal with the idea that a woman could know more about mechanical things than her husband, and didn't speak English very well, and didn't listen at all. Very discouraging.

Glad you are still enjoying your Wrangler and that you are able to take back roads home. I got so I very much enjoyed driving those back roads, both in Texas and when I lived in Sierra Vista, Arizona.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    You should contact that guy and see if he will sell you THAT jeep. If not now, try in a few months.
    Hit the back roads again today, but before I really got out of town I got my first rock chip on the windshield. Not a bad one , but it is there. I know when they were redoing 190 years ago, my insurance agent at the time was processing about 200 chipped windshields a week.
    Not even 300 miles on the thing when I met the rock.

Since I have already tore the vehicle up I don't need to worry about washing it to often:)

I now have 377 miles on the odometer and will break the 500 mile break-in period by Monday.

My wheels that I ordered are in so Tuesday I will get the new wheels and tires put on.

My tags are in the mail so I will go ahead and register the Wrangler on post. Since 911 it is no longer an open post, have to stop and present a picture ID to the guards.

Still a happy camper.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Listen another favor....for those of you that know what kind of car I have and other info please don't mention the specific make and model. I've had some problems on another chat room with someone wanting too much information; of which I haven't given to anyone for obvious reasons; I know that the large majority of you are very courteous towards me and I appreciate that. I just want to put a stop to this before he becomes too much of an aggrevation. I probably won't be mentioning this again but keep the request in mind.

Thanks,

dwrangler
  • thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    Good luck with the good deal. Just remember that you shouldn't pay more than invoice, and preferrably below.

On a side note, is everyone's front tires cupping on the inside? Mine do a lot, but it drives fine. I read somewhere that short wheelbase vehicles that turn corners alot just have that happen - is that right? Those GSAs are getting some pretty good wear on the front with only 6800 on the odometer.
    dwrangler - I hope things work out OK. Since you know a ton of stuff about Wranglers, you'll do fine when you get down to it.

thedude1 - As I mentioned a while back, I've always had problems with my tires cupping, but it is the whole tire, not just the inside. Have you had your alignment checked recently?

I'm actually on my third set of tires at the moment. The first set didn't have a chance to wear out - they were replaced by the other guy's insurance at around 10,000 miles. I did the jiffy lube thing and never quite got around to taking it to get the tires rotated on that second set, so the front tires had to be replaced after something like 30,000 miles due to cupping. I replaced all 4 probably after another 30-40,000 miles due to cupping and put on the Dueller ATs. They are showing slight signs of cupping now after 12,000 miles - it is small enough that I didn't notice it, and I've been watching them. I get free rotations and they were the ones who mentioned it.

I think it has to do also with the roads I drive on. If anyone has had the problem and found a way to sort it out, let us know!
    Another night in gills, and no Kahuna! What's the latest on your Jeep search?

Tom

The GSA's that came on my 1997 sport were pretty cupped.

My dad had uniroyals which cupped also.

I think the tire is partly to blame, and a poor alignment just magnifies it.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Tom, I registered there a few nights ago and have been meaning to stop in but work has swamped me. I'll be checking in soon!
    As for the new Jeep, I will be a solar yellow X owner on monday around 4:30. I'll be doing the Oceantoad driving scheme all week :)
    Cool! Congratulations! I hope we will see some pics of that baby soon?

Come on to gill's tonight, OK?

Tom

Hey Tom, it's probably temporary but I can't connect to the site. Is it down?
    Yeah, it was working this afternoon, but it is not up tonight for some reason.

We have an alternate chat room at...

http://www.ilstu.edu/~debaile/chat.htm

We are there now, so come join us. Anyone else is welcome too.

Tom

Hey what's the matter with everyone? We were getting a half way decent number of posts lately, but not a soul has posted today.

You don't have to have anything important to say. Heck, I never let that stop me! :)

Come on people! POST!

Tom

O.k., Tom, I'll start with a question. How much of a difference in gas mileage will I see between my 4 banger and my new 6 cylinder? It's a beautiful day here in good ol' Delaware. Can't wait to take the top down. On a side note, awhile back we had a conversation about full doors versus half doors. I had half doors on my 97 4 banger and I swore I'd get the full's on my next TJ. Well, after having the fulls, I am glad to be getting the halves on my new X. I guess their are pros and cons for each but for me I like the freedom and more open feeling when taking off the upper halves. Also, not having any room for my left arm and having the general cramped feeling I got from the thicker, higher, fulls annoyed me.
    How was that Tom? :) Maybe it will stir up some talk.
    I hit 500 miles today and now have a total of 524 on my Sport. At 508 miles I finally went up and over 60 MPH. Got up to 67 just to prove I could do it after driving so many slow miles.

Got my tags in the mail yesterday and put them on. The plate ends in YJG. Close, but no cigar.

Put my door entry guards on today and flipped up the rear seat (till I take it out).

Tuesday will get my wheels and tires put on.

Cruised for about 30 miles with Jean today and decided that the new tops are quieter. Could actually hold a conversation with out yelling.

The bad news for me is that Jean likes the Jeep which was a total shock to me. She has never liked a single vehicle that I have owned. She even thinks the Jeep rides as well as the Ford Exploder that a friend has. She likes the clutch better in the Jeep than in the one in my truck. She also says that the seat in the Jeep gets her closer to the pedals than the seat in my truck. When I asked her what she thought after driving the Jeep she said it was fine. I guess that was an endorsement from her. She sure surprised me since I was sure that she would hate the Sport.

I am not sharing, she can get her own.
    Uh-oh Toad, that might be just the beginning. Next thing you know she'll be driving it to work and never want to give it back. Wait till she gets some top down driving under her belt....
    Didn't make any money though. Was totally wrong on the Derby, though my #1 choice came in 4th. Guess I can't depend on winnings for getting that new car!

I don't know what a 4 banger Wrangler gets for gas mileage but mine varies a bunch depending on the wind and the speed I'm driving. The best I've ever gotten was something between 21 and 22. Most of the time it is just at 20, but will go down to around 16 in high winds or high speeds.

Toad - it doesn't surprise me at all that your girl likes your Wrangler. Any truck girl would - it doesn't ride all that much differently, is MUCH easier to maneuver, and the clutch is much shorter and lighter than the '76 Chevy truck I used to have (don't know about current full sized trucks). The girls I know who turn up their noses at Wranglers are those that are urban people who would be terrified of goats, horses and cows.

By the way, when I picked up my Golden from our local kennel, the owner showed me her latest purchase - 4 new goats. Three female milkers (around 4 months old) and a male meat goat that was about a month old. They were all so cute and curious. She has plans on keeping the male for breeding purposes and perhaps crossing the milk and meat lines. Does that sound like something that would work? I know nothing about goats, except that they sure are cute!
    Finally some of my buddies woke up!

Kahuna, I have heard about a gazillion people say that there is no significant difference in the gas mileage between the 4 and the 6. Even the EPA estimate on the sticker is virtually the same between the two.

Before you sign the dotted line tomorrow, are you sure you don't want the Dana 44 rear end? Maybe it makes no difference in your case, because maybe you don't plan on ever going to 35" tires or heavy offroading. I have been told that you cannot get the Dana 44 with the X model. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I know you will be keeping this Jeep for a long time, so you need to think way down the road.

Oceantoad, congrats on the 500 miles. Now you can keep up with traffic. :)

Mntgal, sorry about your luck in Vegas, but you'll clean em out next time.

I have to get up at 3:30 AM so I can leave the house by 4 AM for a business trip, but I am going to gills for a little while, if anyone wants to chat.

Tom

I have a few pictures, but still did not really get the sienna color. Our page is at

http://home.earthlink.net/~oceantoad/

Mtngal. They do cross the meat and the dairy goats. The first one I bought was a Nubian cross and she was huge. Got a good price on her because she looked so poor. We try to keep mixed nannies that are Boer and Spanish, but with the largest percentage being Boer.

Bigkahuna. You going to do that solar yellow like you had talked about? I know you are going to like that 6 cylinder. Turned mine loose just a bit today. I test drove an SE because it was all they had with a soft top. Glad I got the 6. Also glad I got the full doors, but different strokes. Soon as I flipped that half door window over I had instant memories of my CJ5. I don't like the looks of the full doors, but I sure like being able to roll down those windows. More of a pain running door less, but I can deal with that.

Mntgal and the rest: Thanks for the support. The only part that makes me nervous is the fact that the printout I got from the build your own on the Jeep.com site is around 2 thousand less than what the price for the exact same Jeep on the site now would be....their gonna price it outta the reach of the common mans reach...that stinks!

I hope that guy's still workin for the dealer or Chrysler so I can save more money. And the other thing is having enough put back to put down on it.

Well gotta go, you all have a great week.

Hug your Jeeps for me :)

dwrangler
  • rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    don't get thin tires, get atleat 11, or 12.5, the tires then stick out a bit, does anyone know if there is a 30 inch tire with 11 or 12.5 inch thick tires. I am all about those thick tires. Also does anyone know where I can purchase real jeep doors, with out paying $1500, I got a 2001 wrangler, with full doors, I got it with an Auto, and full doors, those are the two biggest mistakes I have made, Also I put a light bar, cool at first to much wind noise and kills fuel efficency, not woth the bag for the buck! Project II is to get half doors, wide tires, remive lightbar! Estimated time to completion 2 years!, tires are 5K old, what can I do. any suggestions.
    Love the pictures! I thought you did a pretty good job of catching the color with the one of the boxer in it. It really is a good color. And I love the goats!

dwrangler - I was surprised how much the lower end Wranglers have gone up in price since I bought mine in '98. However, the upper end ones are going about the same, so I guess they have raised the base price and cut down the cost of some of the options, maybe? ON the other hand, most other vehicles have gone up too. It took me quite a bit to buy anything in '98 - that was the first time we had been car shopping since '88 and we definitely went into sticker shock. Just keep to your plan - it sounds like you are doing better with it than our plan for getting rid of the Taco!
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    Hey, I thought I would pop my head in and say "hi", since I've been silent for awhile. I've had my 2000 Sport for a little over a year now...I keep loving the drive more and more each day! I had the top down yesterday for the whole day. Went for a ride with my little brother and was out longer than I meant to, around 3 hours. Man, it was nice weather yesterday! Today it is raining here, and is supposed to stay that way for the rest of the week. That is a bummer. I have ordered mirror movers so I can keep mirrors when I remove the doors. They are on backorder, which is a major bummer too. I have the full doors, but it would be nice to have the half doors too. I am thinking about getting soft doors from quadratec.com or some other place to have for the summers. Anyone have any positives/negatives about those? Thanks!

JeepHead
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Around my area their have been several auto shows (mustang, corvette, antique car etc)
    I've been thinking about planning a Jeep show at my restaurant. This will help me get to know some of my JEEP neighbors. I'm planning on a April 2003 date. Ive talked to my local JEEP dealer he siad he would be glad to bring some NEW Jeeps, This would be a GREAT way to show off the new Rubicon.
    What do all of you think? Hopless goin over my head on this..Need input. STEVE/TIDESTER any ideas?
    Plus all my close Edmunds jeepers are invited (Twlie..saharagal..)

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Old Red has to go back in for more work today, the new muffler needs to be replace already.
    This is the third time in as many weeks. I hope this is not a sign of things to come

RS1157
    I do agree with you, that a Jeep looks so much better with bigger/ wider tires than smaller ones. But have you heard the old saying that the bigger the tire the smaller gas mileage. I lost around 1 mpg when I went from 215's to 31x10.5 also check Ebay I have seen hard half door go for under $400.00

Jeep head
    I have soft half door on my wife CJ, they do help keep the mud and water from the trail / road out of the jeep

Have a great day Walt
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like fun to me!

Be a good idea to check with city hall about any licensing requirements, traffic issues etc.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Just picked up my new solar yellow X! Now on the odometer...18 miles. I am loving the power. Going up hills is so much easier. Now I have to crawl around the back roads for 500 miles, however, it will be fun.
    All right guy!!!!!!

That 500 miles goes more quickly than you think. It is tough though to keep the needle from creeping up at times.

I knew that you would like that 6. I bet you are going to be real happy.

Got the top down already?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to contact some of the regulars on these boards who have organized events like that. They can offer you pointers and advice on how to pull it off and what to watch out for.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Congrats, man! I want to hear all about it, so come to gill's tomorrow night. I got up at 3:30 this AM for a business trip, and I am hitting the sack!

Bama, I don't see how you do that 3:30 crap every day! It sucks!!!!!

Tom

CJ5 Jeep Mountain Board (link courtesy of h1vc).

Steve
    Host
    Now about those slow 500 miles - how about discovering some nice looking, easy dirt road to explore? That would be one way of getting those miles quickly.

Bamatazz - sounds like fun. Too bad I'm on the wrong coast!

tsjay - getting up at 3:30 or 4 isn't bad - you just go to bed by 9.
    Now that's GREAT NEWS Big K!!! Enjoy it! After the long wait I'm sure every mile, every second is a dream come true! I can't wait to get mine...that's for darn sure. The wait to sell my current vehicle (remaining anonymous for security reasons ;) ). I hope that guy(from the dealer)was sincere, cause by the end of the summer I'm taking my homework (paperwork or ammo to deal with) and his name to get MY BABY ;). Keep a good thought for me...

Hey BAMA, make this an annual thing and when I get my Jeep, I'll come down :)

Tomster? 3:30 or 4...In the AM? Oh my, that wouldn't work for me....I'm a night owl :) Oh by the way was watching paper production interesting :)

The 500 mile thing...heh...that's no problem. You'd have a heck of a time getting me out of my Jeep after I got it :)

Well, one more class final and I'm done for the semester. I haven't decided whether or not I'm taking any summer courses...it's been a LONG tough year.

Also I'm debating about having the colormatch fender flares on my Jeep right away after(or before)I get it. Also, I know that I want bigger tires and also debating about what to get tire and wheel combo initially and what I'd get if I traded them in for BFG's. I don't know if the canyons or the Ecco wheels would be better to start out with...I don't know that I care that much for the standard tires and wheels cause they're so thin. What are your thoughts. Remember, I probably won't be getting the Jeep til the end of the summer, so consider that in your comments.

Thanks

Hug your Jeeps for me :)

dwrangler

Go Blues ;) (Just do your best that's all I ask ;) )
  • scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    After months of trying, and finally switching dealers, I finally got the ticking in my engine fixed. I had talked to you guys about it then. If you remember that far back. ;-) Anyway, they replaced the exhaust manifold (actually diagnosed here) and my Wrangler sounds great again. Thanks for the info all. Oh yeah, don't go to Royal Oaks in St. Peters, MO, and DO go to Century Motors in Wentzville, MO for service.

Go BLUES!!! Right dwrangler?
    Not surprised that the ticking went away with the new exhaust manifold. Mine had gone well past the ticking stage to being downright noisy. It sure makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

I just can't support the Blues - I'm cheering for the Avalanche, now that they've knocked off the Kings.
    Got my BFG Mud Km tires 31x10.50 and AR767 wheels 15X8 put on by Discount Tires today.
    Big difference in looks. Oh yea!!!

I think I will built a step for Jean to use, just to preserve the peace and keep the household happy.

I feel like I am at home again hearing road noise from my tires. After having listened to tires for about 10 years on 4x4 vehicles, I didn't realize that I was missing it. They are not loud, but you know they are there.

Discount Tires has changed their pricing since I first went in there about a month or so ago. I need to check my first quote, but I think I ended up paying about $300 less than what I was quoted. I know the tires were $25 less a piece and the lifetime rotation and balance is now free. I believe they also included valve stems for free. Ended up being less than I had planned so now have a bit of extra cash to play with. New flares or a gas tank skid plate?

The stock tires from the Jeep went on the Mazda MPV and it sure rides a whole lot better than with the old tires. A win-win situation all the way around.

Kahuna, how many miles? I know you have to be enjoying that X. Hope that the weather is good out your way. Are you having to wear shades with that solar yellow? :) Hope to chat with you for a few minutes tonight at Gill's.

I am a happy camper.
    "...that's for darn sure. The wait to sell my current vehicle (remaining anonymous for security reasons ;) )."

I don't get what you mean by this.

???
    The Worcester Icecats are the Blues farm club team.

Go Bruins!
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello jeepers..thanx for the good info..
    Im gonna talk to my chamber of commerce next week just to see what I need to do to get the ball rooling on this idea.
    TOM...your a WHIMP...try getting up at 3:30 6 days a week..
    I think i got this payment thing fixed
    Chrysler deposited it in the wrong account..
    Think im gonna call them everyday till its fixed, like they did me looking for the payment.
    I am going to buy my hoist & overhead security console next week.. then gotta find a good price for a CB ( Tom, where did ya get yours?)

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
    As far as I know, most jeepers would prefer to get together on a mountain top, or somewhere "in deep", as opposed to in a parking lot somewhere. You might get a better turnout or have more luck that way.

Have you tried your local 4x4 club?
    "Think im gonna call them everyday till its fixed, like they did me looking for the payment."

Too bad you don't have the CEO's home number so you could call him when you get up in the am six days a week....

Steve
    Host
    No offense annonymous, I wasn't meaning you. I quit describing my vehicle because I've had problems on another chat room with someone asking too many questions of a personal nature (especially when he found out the general area where I live). So for security reasons I won't mention the make anymore.

Toad,
    How much did you pay for the bigger tires and wheels if you don't mind me asking. I plan on changing the tires and wheels as well when I get mine. Plus, I know this may be an unpopular decision but I saw the color matching fender flares and if I get bigger tires those are going on too. I hope I see the guy that works at that dealership again....I want to see how much he can really help knock off the price so I can afford it at the end of the summer. The dealer still has 5.9% listed on the buildings windows but I'm not sure if that is applicable to four years which is what I want to shoot for. Five years is too much, I wanna have it as close to being paid off before I get done with school (and hopefully have my masters degree too :) ).

Toad make sure you post pics man, this is really sounding like you're having fun making one mod at a time...and so soon ;)

Bama where ya been guy? Haven't talked to ya at Gill's in a while.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Congrats!! And nice choice of color, I might add :-)

yellowman

p.s. - are they really going to discontinue to ever-popular Solar Yellow color? That doesn't seem to make much sense.
    You asked about my CB a few posts back. I got an El Cheapo at Walmart, since I planned on using it only for wheelin' to be able to communicate short range with my wheelin buddies on the trail. I think it was $34.95 or something like that. When I started writing this post, I thought I would be able to spit the brand name right out for you, but I have gone blank right now.

Hey, Alzheimer's isn't all bad... you get to meet new people every day. :)

I will get you that brand name after while and post it tonight.

It works fine for my purposes, or at least I think it will. I have not been able to try it out on the trail, since I have been unable to hook up with anyone to wheel with the last three weekends in a row. IT'S KILLING ME!

I have used the radio on a couple of long trips I have taken, and it seems to reach out a pretty good distance, so it should be fine.

I got a "Rooster" antenna (five footer, so it would stick up over the hard top a little) and mounted it to the back bumper.

That overhead rack from cbrack.com is working out pretty nicely.

Catch ya later, Bammer.

Tom