Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    Blues WIN!!!
    Blues WIN!!!
    Blues WIN!!!

Sorry, off topic.
    Anyone pull a trailer with their Wrangler? I bought a boat and want to know the possible pitfalls of pulling it with my Wrangler.

Steve
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Oceantoad - get the gas tank skid plate. The one that comes standard isn't much. Most of my off-roading is light stuff, but mine is dented in several places (well, I did scrape bottom going through the rocks of a dry stream crossing getting into a friend of mine's place once...).

Congrats to the Blues fans - great game!

I'm also interested in actual experiences with trailers. While my other half is against the idea, I'm thinking about a tent trailer. It is just a thought at this point - too many other things to buy with higher priority (such as a new roof and getting rid of the Taco), but researching before getting serious is always a good idea.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I pulled a sizable u-haul trailer from Oregon to SoCal last summer. It was probably a bit over the weight limit (around 2500lbs I would guess), and I had to be careful coming down mountain passes to keep from being pushed around. The 4.0L is amazingly strong, all that torque allows you to keep up with traffic just fine. I could actually accelerate going uphill when I needed to. The frame takes the weight just fine. The only problem is the short wheelbase. I also averaged about 12mpg, which surprised me (in a good way).
    Did you experience any high-wind situations? I hear its the real tester. I've been told I will want to get a larger tow vehicle once I have to drive in a high-wind situation and my boat is driving alongside my Jeep. Man! I hope that doesn't happen!
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    that sounds like a good plan too..
    BUT..i still have to work while to show is going on..This will more of a "get to know" show more then anything.. Plus it's a way to get my restaurant more business too.
    This is still in the EARLY stages too. Just something I think would be fun to do.
    Dwrangler..im trying to get to Gills..but between work & kids kida hard to do.
    Tom..thanx for the Info..
    Ive seen a good deal on a "package CB" with cb, wiring & antenna with quick connect for 114.00 this was on another web site.
    Ive looked at yours at wal-mart too.. Was the power wiring long enough?
    If u can send me some pics..of your set-up if you can..
    STEVE..Thats a good idea ...I would do it if I could. Those people drove me CRAZY!!

Keep Jeepin
    Bama!!
    Did you use trailer brakes or not? I don't know anything about tent trailers, but I would guess that they have them, and that I would want to install trailer brakes. The only trailers I've towed were large stock/heavier horse trailers that I pulled with full sized trucks and used trailer brakes.
    No high wind situations, but I did encounter a rainstorm coming down out of the Siskyous above Redding, up near Mt. Shasta. I slowed down to about 45mpg and was fine.

The trailer did not have trailer brakes. I just braked gradually and kept plenty of space in front of me.
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I am a camper from way back and I have notice that electric brakes are not standard equipment on small tent trailers (under 2000 lb) I now have a 30 ft 5th wheel and pull it with a Dodge Cummins. So I have to pretty much stay on paved roads. I think a Wrangler / popup combination would be perfect, just think being free from traveling the paved roads. To camp were you want, not were you can.
    Feeling better about towing my boat with the Wrangler. I'm going to the lake this weekend and I'll tell you how it went when I return. Unfortunately its supposed to rain all weekend. I sure hope it doesn't. Its been raining every day here in St. Louis.

Steve
  • madebw00madebw00 Member Posts: 13
    Well, the next round of funding has arrived :-) and a new set of mods is planned. We already did the 2" spacers and the 31" BFG MT's on AR 767 wheels. In the next 7 days we will be adding a Kilby gas tank skid plate (AFM rocks!), a Tomken engine skid plate, Tera sway bar disconnects, and some other smaller items. Memorial Day we will hit the great outdoors! And yes, I have hugged my Jeep today - even though it's dirty.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Congrats on the mods!

Old Tsjay has been a bad boy too. I have done the AR767 thing too, and I got some new BFG Mud Terrains, but I already posted about those things.

I have ordered a Kilby gas tank skid and a pair of Sun Performance rocker guards, and I just received my Teraflex steering box skid yesterday.

A wheelin buddy offered me his used Procomp 2" lift, which includes four springs and four shocks, and he will install them for me. We will do it Saturday. He offered me a deal that I couldn't refuse, even though I was going to wait a long time before getting a lift. For what he is charging me, it won't hurt a bit to remove that stuff later when I get a real lift.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    WOW,,,Tom..u go man..
    your turning into a true JEPPER>>
    CB..Mud Terrian tires..now a lift...
    Whats next?... Just kidding with ya pal.
    glad your having a good time with Thelma..
    still havent got that hoist yet..but working on it..
    Tazz is looking great as usual.& stayin that way,,

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking about one of the small tent trailers. That 5th wheel and diesel pickup is going to have to wait a few years - like when we're getting ready to retire (that's one of my dreams). I've always been a tent camper and my husband hates it. He only barely tolerated my converted van (owned when I first met him and sold not too much later). He's more the timeshare type of person, but I want to see things off the beaten track (not surprising for a Wrangler owner), and do it on the occasional weekend. Much harder without camping or motelling (something I don't like). So I'm thinking that a tent trailer might be a nice compromise - something that is close to "go anywhere" but still comfortable. Something the Wrangler could tow without problems.
    I know that Thelma Jane is having as much fun as you are with all of this! Glad to see you are going to be protecting her well!
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    AFM?
    AFM is a great 4x4 shop here in the Dallas / Ft Worth Metroplex, and I am sure they also ship their stuff around the country. Their Web site is at

http://www.afm4x4.com/

Brett knows his stuff, is always helpful and gives great advice. He stands behind his products 100%. Recommend highly.

• nancyb5nancyb5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Wrangler Sport. I picked it up 8/1/2000 and have been having rust problems ever since. I have brought it back again and again to the dealer and they mickey-mouse it and the rust keeps coming back. It is on the driver's door near window. Now they are telling me this is "common on Wranglers" !! Anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts? My next step at this point is Chrysler's customer arbitration because I am so fed up.
    I have a '98 and have had no problems with rust anywhere. They do sand our roads instead of salting them, but where yours is rusting that shouldn't make a difference. Wouldn't think the model year in this case would matter much either, since there hasn't been any changes on the outside in quite a while.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    You should not have to put up with rust on the doors. Take your Wrangler to another dealer. Tell the one you are dealing with now that you can get a whole bunch of Wrangler owners to e-mail him that this is NOT a typical Wrangler problem. If you have to, give us his e-mail address. Also, tell him that there are enough people out there saying D/C quality is poor without him spreading the same message. What a crock.
  • fontexfontex Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to the jeep game and would love to find out the best soft top for my jeep. I have a 2002 Jeep wrangler X. I hear about Besttop but I'm looking for other. Thankyou
    That is a common defect in Wranglers, but it IS a defect that should be taken care of under warranty.

Our buddy that has the web site where a lot of us go to chat, Gill, had to have his Jeep fixed because of the same problem.

It is a poor quality weld where the window frame is joined to the door, if your problem is what I think it is.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I moved Fontex's message over here knowing that you Jeepsters would be able to help him out. (Please don't make a liar out of me, LOL).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    You were drug here kicking and screaming by Steve, but.... welcome anyway! :)

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to welcome you.

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Fontex, I hate to tell you this but in my opinion there is no substitute for Bestop. They are the makers of the original tops and sell high quality stuff. Why are you looking for something other than them? Most other tops don't fit right and are poorly made. You should look into their sailcloth or sunrider tops. Good luck.
  • fontexfontex Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in the Best Top Sunrider but it's a little expensive. Does anybody recomend another brand?
    Fontex
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Fontex wasn't drug over here - Steve ushered him! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    lol, at least he found where I, er, sent him :-)

(glad to see you made it here, Fontex).

Steve
    Host
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I'm wondering which is more sensible to do...get an X model with most of the sport options or just get a sport? I don't put much stock in salesman info but he said that I might as well get a sport because the options come standard. Is it just me or does the Sport sit up higher than the X? Also if I get the Sport, I would like to get a red one with preferably tan interior, but agate would be good too. I hope my connection with someone who works at a dealer near me will pan out (friends/family discount).

Ok, now something else that I want to know is this: I want a red Sport with the hardtop(tinted windows), automatic transmission, full doors, I don't necessarily want Canyon wheels as the Ecco or even standard wheels will do...what will the invoice price be on this kind of a Jeep? With the discount and interest rates going from 1.9 to 3.9, it may work out but I want to be completely prepared for the dealer. I don't want them to think...ah dumb broad, we can really get a good profit on her. Any serious input will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and cross your fingers...I may have a buyer for my car. That would put me that much closer to my own Jeepie :-)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;-)

dwrangler
    I know the Bestop brand tops are a bit more expensive than comparable tops, but bigkahuna is right, there is really is no other option if you want a top that fits and will last for more than a year. I have the Sunrider and it's lasted me 3 seasons so far just fine. To be honest, though, if I had it to do over again I'd just buy a factory soft top and replace the fabric with the Sailcloth when needed. I'm not as enraptured with the Bestop hardware as I am their fabrics, and I would definitely like the quieter highway ride the sailcloth purportedly has.

If this still doesn't convince you, at least stay away from Steelhorse. They are the cheapest but their (lack of) quality control is notorious.

If you want a new factory top, the best place I know of to get one is www.jparts.com . Actually, that goes for anyone on the board looking for cheaper-than-my-dealer prices for OEM equipment. They are about 15% cheaper than list and shipping is only $3.50, plus no sales tax unless you live in PA. I've bought stuff from them before (including things not listed on their site) and they are awesome.
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I just got back to the States (and now I'm in Florida-wish it was a vacation). At least I got to drive my Jeep this time.

Anyway, there are several websites that can give you an invoice price on a Jeep built to your specs, one of which is edmunds. Another one I used is jeepwarehouse.com

There site is extremely helpful, as it will tell you what options are available with what, and which conflict with others. The only downside is they ask for some information from you before they give you the price. (It does not have to be totally accurate :)) I used them last year and found they had the best price. I even contacted them and had them fax me an official order form, totally filled out with price and all. I then used that price to force the local dealer to match it. It worked. I saved around $1,000. So it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

Madman
    let me try again..
    I think the X is between the SE & Sport..
    TO me..to get all the options..& if your can afford it,go to the sport. Probably most of the options u want are standard on the sport.
    Have u went to the jeep.com web site..
    you can print out your options. they way you will have something to go by.
    Click on my name..email me...i will send you my invoice & sticker on TAZZ.
    I Wish you luck selling your firechicken..
    maybe you could sell it to some young guy thats into sports cars.
    Sounds like your getting closer..dont give up
    FONTEX.. Welcome to the board..
    I agree bestop is the best choice..
    You get what u pay for..in those..
    BAMA
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I also have to agree on the Bestop brand. In every review/comparison I've read, nothing else comes close. It is a little more expensive, but the material is more than worth it. I have a 2001 Sport with the new soft top. It was warm enough in the Colorado Springs winter, and has been quiet enough on multiple cross country trips at interstate speeds.

A few questions for you though:

Where do you live? Will you be running the soft top all the time? I'm assuming you have the hard top. Have you thought about just getting a bikini top (Bestop again)?

Finally, another place you can check is ebay. There are always several tops for sale there.

Good luck, and congrats on the new Jeep. And give us the specs!

Madman
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Before I bought my Sport I built it a million times on Edmunds.Com and at Jeep.Com. I did all kinds of combinations for options. When it came time to buy I went around to 3 different places, plus checked the internet. Benny Boyd was pretty close to the invoice price on Edmunds. I think Benny Boyd was about $90 less than the invoice shown.

I now have a couple of pictures of the Jeep with the new tires and wheels plus a pic of red neck lawn mowing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~oceantoad/
    Nice looking Jeep, but the dogs and especially the goats steal the show. You must not let the goats into the field with the trees very often (otherwise there'd be no trees, right?).

Steve
    Host
    Well, my Thelma Jane is not quite the low rider that she used to be. She has a 2" Procomp lift now. That included four new springs and four new shocks.

A wheelin' buddy sold it to me for $200, which included his installing it for me! :)

I know Procomp gets badmouthed by a lot of people, but for that price, how could I go wrong?

I posted some pics in Gill's gallery, but they are very poor quality, and I intend to get some better ones to replace them. Hopefully, I will do that today.

The ride is definitely harsher with those new springs and shocks, but, hey, I am not complaining. At last I have at least a small lift. Thelma ain't a low rider any more.

We've been having some good times in Gill's, brothers and sisters, and I encourage all of you to join us there after you "do your Edmunds thing." It's really neat to get to chat with all the Edmunds gang over in Gill's chat room.

Tom

Thanks for posting - Thanks to MTNGAL and WHEELSDOWN, too. Yes, the weld is the problem. How did GILL get issue resolved? I am planning to request Arbitration at this point, because dealer doesn't seem to want to give me new doors. Nevermind the fact they could have paid for them 3 times over with the body work, loaner car $$ up to this point. Did GILL get new doors?
    I will have to ask Gill if he got a new door, or if they just fixed his orginal door. When I find out, I will post a message.

Tom

Just posted a pic of Thelma with her new 2" Procomp lift in the Jeep Owners Photo Gallery here in Edmunds, and the same pic plus one other at Gill's.

Tom

Gill said they just repainted his doors and that the rust is coming back.

Tom
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    Dusty is a 93 Wrangler with about 80K miles. He's our third car, and sits in the garage about half the week. He's developed a slow oil leak somewhere in the back engine compartment (the drip lines up with the wing mirrors). I've already taken him into the dealership once; they replaced a couple of seals (I remember transfer case??) - but he's still making a mess. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It's going to get expensive running him back and forth. Or should I just try to find a Wrangler-sized diaper?
    When you have goats you can see the browse line on the trees. Depends on how high the biggest goat can stretch on how high the browse line will be. A Red Ryder BB gun helps keep them out of the crepe myrtles, but they are not left unattended in that area.

I wanted to include the goats in the Jeep pictures, but I didn't want them climbing all over a new vehicle. Believe me, they would do it the first chance they got.
    Does your friend GILL go to my dealer? That's what they have done for me 3 times already! I have already called Chrysler to complain. They sent me to another dealer who said he would buff it out and put some touch-up paint on it. No thanks. I am filing for arbitration for new doors. Tell your friend GILL to do the same if after 3 tries it is not resolved. I really appreciate the feedback on this issue.
    Not to belabor the obvious, but Chrysler's attitude is ridiculous. A pair of new full doors retails for around $1100. Without dealer mark-up, one factory door can't cost more than $300 or so. It's not like installing it will take any labor, it takes all of 5 minutes to install a new Wrangler door.

I remember at least one person on this board who got an entire new soft top under warranty because of one broken zipper. The logic of dealers is mysterious and apparently devoid of economic sense.
    Speaking of Chrysler...
    I still havent got this payment thing straight.
    They know they put it in the wrong account.
    They said they would fix it..hmmmm that was 2 weeks ago. Called back today they said its under investigation? WHAT THE.... All they did was put 1 too many 0's in my account #..Just take it out.. put it back in my account. DUH!!
    I told them im calling EVERYDAY to get this straight. JUST like they called me when they said I was late on payments.
    WOW.. seems like they are taking too many steps to solve a simple problem.

Whew i feel better
    BamaTazz
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I know some of you people are fanatical about keeping up with your gas mileage... looking for some input. I wanted to know if anyone noticed a point at which thier mileage went up and stayed up (motor is fully broken in?). I seem to be at that point now (right under 7k miles). That seems like a lot of miles to "break in", but maybe that's part of the long term durability we're all hoping for!

-twylie

Bama - ever considered online or direct debit for the payments? We do that with our mortgage and all car loans we've ever had. Usually the first payment is "fingers crossed" to get right, but after that, we've had no issues.
    Yea ive thought of that..
    But Tazz is totaly my responsibility..
    wife says it all mine.. So money order is the only way i can do it..I use my "allowance" money to pay for Tazz.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
    Not sure, my TJ has 34k miles, 31" tires, 4.0l, gas mileage is at 16 MPG.
    Spoke with my insurance company yesterday and asked if there was any word on if they would accept the ID number that was etched in my windows. The final word is no, so no discount. I have the ID number etched in the windows and a dozen body and engine parts, but that is not good enough. I asked the insurance company where I needed to etch my VIN and it just has to be on two windows. I guess two windows being etched with a VIN is better than body and engine parts plus windows being etched with an ID number maintained in a national data base by the program that I am in.

My Jeep dealer Benny Boyd in Lampassas, TX (a plug) called me this morning and said they had the templates to etch my VIN in the windows. I was told that I could come out at any time, that it was not a problem. Tomorrow morning I will get the two side windows etched with the VIN (for free) and then head over to my insurance company so that they can visually inspect my windows for the number.

With two windows being etched I will feel much more confident that if my TJ is stolen it will be recovered.

Of course the other program that I am in will also give me all kinds of money in the event of theft to cover phone calls, motel rooms and meals if I am on the road, etc. If the vehicle is not recovered the program also gives me x number of dollars for the purchase of a new vehicle in addition to my insurance plus the dealer will give me a $1000 credit toward the purchase of a new vehicle.

If you had a hard top would they maybe break one of the two etched windows to gain access?

Yea, I will feel much better having those two windows etched with the VIN.

Thank you Lance, at Benny Boyd Jeep in Lampassas, Tx.
    I think my mileage settled down around 5000 or 6000 miles. It was pretty much 16mpg around town, 20mpg on the highway until I moved up to the 30" BFGs--I lost 1 or 2 mpg at that point, though if I keep my highway speeds under 65mph I can still get nearly 20mpg. My rear differential gearing ratio is 3.73.