Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

aironrjaironrj Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Jaguar
Im looking at purchasing a 2004 3.0 X Type. Not looking to upgrade much just the package to have both power front d/p seats ($800). What price should I be shooting for?

Comments

• subie_wrxsubie_wrx Member Posts: 15
    I recently found out that Jaguar is giving dealers $5500 back on 2.5's and $5K back on 3.0's. I've been quoted prices as low as $22K on the 2.5 and $29K on the 3.0
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    Is the $5500 still good for October?
  • heelntoeheelntoe Member Posts: 21
    Yes... it's been continued. My folks just picked up a 3.0 with heated seats and metallic paint for $28400 and a very fair value on their trade. 2.5's with the 5-speed are getting tough to come by but the $5500 is still good.

I'm kinda surprised this didn't make the "Top 10 Screamin' Deals on '04 Models" article... not many premium brands you can pick up with AWD and this level of standard equipment for this kind of money.
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    Totally agree. I picked up a 2.5X a week ago with metallic paint for less than $23K.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which no incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mwlaceymwlacey Member Posts: 1
    heelntoe .... I am looking for a 3.0 x-type (same spec as yours) but an struggling with the local dealers who are holding out for 15% margins. Who do you recommend ?
  • heelntoeheelntoe Member Posts: 21
    Not sure where you are mwlacey but... both (whoo hoo...) dealers in the Western PA area were more than willing to start at $7000 off MSRP for 3.0s. Depending on options... that's 3% plus. My folks got $7000 off MSRP and a very good trade-in value.

After my folks bought one, my sister also expressed interst but she's in the Gettysburg area so I called dealers in Harrisburg and Frederick, MD. $550 over invoice -$5500 on the 2.5 was not too hard to come by... I've heard that dealers in the Baltimore/DC area are eager to sell at similar markup.

If you're in GA or TN, it may be worth your while to make the trip. If you're in WA or NV, may not...

Jaguar hasn't made a stinkin' dime for Ford since they bought them in what... 1994, 1996? They're getting out of F1 (even selling off engine supplier Cosworth) and shutting down excess capacity. Anybody can score a deal right now because of over-supply and the ghosts of reliability problems...
  • marisamarisa Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2003 Jaguar 2.5 X-type with 14k miles from a Budget car and sales dealer. When I went to close the deal I found out they did not have an owner's manual and they only had one key. Since it makes me nervous to have just one key I called the only Jaguar dealer in Las Vegas. I was told it costs $90 for a key plus the cost of programming it or about $300 total. A set of owner's manuals is $195. Budget has promised to get the manuals but not another key. Do you know of any other less pricey options to obtain a second key?
    By the way, I paid 23,600 for the car. It is automatic with sunroof/split rear seat and driver power seat. Nice metallic paint too. I thought I was getting a good deal, what do you think?
    Marisa
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    hate to break it to you, Marisa, but a brand new '04 can be had for only $3k more with the current incentives ($2700 if you consider you'd get more than one key with a new one). But, if you are happy with the car, don't sweat it, enjoy it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Except you would not be likely to find a 2.5 automatic. Also a dealer had told me that none of their incentives applied to 2.5 automatic so that he could actually sell 3.0 cheaper than 2.5 automatic.

However, a new 3.0 would probably been about only $4k more. But in our case, the wood steering wheel on that model eliminates any interest in a 3.0 ...who thinks that a wood steering wheel is better than leather, I just don't "get" that feature. (we did not like the ride with the low profile tires on the 3.0)

Those incentives expired Sept 30, btw.
  • ohiobuyerohiobuyer Member Posts: 1
    For information to other Buyers. Recent (10/04) purchase X-Type 3.0, X1 Premium Pck/w memory, heated seat, and reverse park $29800. Best of Luck on Your Purchase. So far very good car and fun to drive.
  • snowjagsnowjag Member Posts: 8
    Jeffyscott,

I have a 2.5 with the all leather steering wheel. However, I think the wood on the 3.0 looks pretty cool. Do the low profile tires on the 3.0 give you less clearance in snow? I was of the mind that the 17" wheels give you more snow clearance than the 16" wheels. I took advantage of the $5500 discount but now I see it is up to $6000. I see that they increased the price on the 2005s by $1,000 - probably due to the increase in the price of oil.

-- SnowJag
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Looks are one thing, feel is another...sweaty palms on a wood wheel is not a good feeling :-). My wife is the one who wants one of these cars and she did not like feel of the wood at all. I did not drive it myself, but I am sure I would much prefer the feel of leather.

There would be no difference in ground clearance, the larger wheels just mean lower profile tires. The outside diameter of the tire would be the same with the 17 inch as it is with 16 inch.

Price increase is probably because of the exchange rate. Also they added height adjustment feature to the standard passenger seat and reduced the cost to add automatic trans to the 2.5. I think for a 2.5 auto the net increase in list is like $600.
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    A leather steering wheel cover would be an easy and inexpensive "fix" to an adversion to a wood one!
  • cgoodecgoode Member Posts: 4
    No discount from the factory, I work at Jaguar Dealership in Birmingham, Alabama. But we are very eagered to sell??????
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    I hate to be a spoiler - but the fantastic prices quoted by buyers on this board do not reflect what the Kelly Blue Book indicates. Does this mean the KBB is not accurate or up to date?
    I'm curious to know what kind of discounts (if any) are available on a brand new car, ordered custom from the factory.
  • vwvw1vwvw1 Member Posts: 18
    Just bought 04 with PP, reverse & heated seats for $28,200. MSRP was $36,652
    did youbuy your 3.0 xtype if not i have one for you???? GREAT DEAL?
    did you buy your 3.0 X-type if not i have one for you???? GREAT DEAL?
  • pingmyday7pingmyday7 Member Posts: 5
    What do you have? I have looked at my local (Nashville) dealership and they have about 14 in stock. What kind of pricing for a base 04 3.0 (just as a point of reference to the numbers they are giving me here)
    cgoode is welcome to provide general pricing info; however, we have a really strict policy against soliciting, and posting dealership inventory is pretty much a no-no.

We don't want to get cgoode in trouble!

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pingmyday7pingmyday7 Member Posts: 5
    I just got an e-mail from jaguar about a $500 gift certificate to one of the two above mentioned retailers.

Any thoughts on what an out of the door purchase on a 2004 X-Type 3.0 (Base) is running? My wife just completed her MBA and I am considering a grad/X-mas gift.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I have just purchased a new 2004 X-Type, 2.5 Manual. As you know, the deal was just impossible to pass. They still have a few left at Howard Orloff dealership in Chicago. I couldn't get a Mazda6 or Honda Accord for that price. So far I only have 78 miles on the odometer, so it is difficult to make any statements, but although some Ford underskin is showing through this cat, the driver definitely feels like he/she is driving a luxury vehicle. It is put together very well, no rattles and it is in fact very quiet. The manual will take some time to get used to, as my last car was automatic, but even with 2.5 engine, it has a healthy acceleration.
  • snowjagsnowjag Member Posts: 8
    Congratulations on the new Jag. I also have a 2004 X 2.5 Manual and I also could not pass up the deal. I was already driving a manual shift so that was not a change for me. I have become more impressed with the handling after driving over two thousand miles. I am not sure if it is due to a great suspension or if that is how all wheel drive (AWD) cars handle. I can take a sharp turn fast and the grip is solid and I don't hear the slightest tire squeal.

I have been looking for the new X-type wagon at the dealership but I haven't seen one yet. I wonder if there is a delay. My dealership provides free car washes every other Saturday so I always take a peek in the showroom.

Axiomlover, are you going to wait until 10K miles before you change your oil? -- SnowJag
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I'll be changing my oil at 5K; and I'm only letting it go that long because I saw the capacity was high - 6qt.
    I have had my X-Type for one week now and with 250 miles on the odometer, I am loving the car more and more. I know what you mean by great cornering, Snowjag, I am getting a kick out of taking 90-degree turns at 35mph. It is absolutely awesome! The Continental tires are great, too, I haven't been able to break traction, yet, even on wet surface. It is amazing, how people react to a Jaguar owner. They immediately assume I make a lot of money since I can afford a Jag. Little do they know for how much I was able to buy it. I have been driving it under 3500 rpm as suggested in the manual during the break-in period, so I will save some performance tests for later. Just as I expected, I have pretty much gotten used to the manual shifting and it is becoming a second nature. The clutch spring could be a little less stiff, but I like the way the clutch engages.

I have seen the wagon and I think it looks really good, although it is loosing the typical Jag look at the rear. The one wagon I saw had a sticker price of $38,500.

Snowjag, as far as oil change is concerned, I will definitely wait at least until 5,500 miles. The 3,000-mile oil changes help the oil companies get rich, but even non-synthetic oil does not deteriorate until about 6,000 miles (Consumer Reports magazine did an extensive study on this using New York taxi cabs). I grew up in Europe where customary oil changes are performed every 6,000 miles and the engines still run great at 150,000 miles. The Jaguar-recommended 10,000-mile oil change is a bit longish in my opinion, unless you use full synthetic. Does anybody know what kind of oil Jaguar puts in the new engines? They recommend Castrol 5W-30, but that oil looks "too yellow" and feels too slippery for Castrol. It has a different smell, too.

Thanks
    sorry kirstie, did not know that. It will not happen again. But we do have very good prices on all vehicles.
  • yoreet1yoreet1 Member Posts: 10
    To all Jaguar drivers:

Will appreciate your help on pinpointing great deal on 3.0 X-type wagon lease in NJ /NY/PA area.
    Honestly, I don't think you will be able to find any great deals on the wagon, not just yet. Some dealerships haven't even gotten them in, yet, and others only have one or two on the lot. The one wagon at a Chicago dealer had a sticker price of over $38K and they said they wouldn't discount it at this point - too early in the year. But, if you get a good deal, let the rest of us know!
  • paul179paul179 Member Posts: 10
    What kind of deal can I expect on an '05 X-type sport in terms of $$$ off MSRP?

Thanks!
  • lastjunchoonlastjunchoon Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I live in New York City and I'm also interested in the 3.0 X-type Sport, manual transmission, anyone know any great deals in the tri-state area?

Thanks
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    Hello. Jaguar seems to be one of the more active manufacturers in the re-leasing of their previously owned vehicles. The program is appealing to me from an affordability standpoint. Any input as to others experience with the concept or opinions would be appreciated. thanks!
  • flighttesterflighttester Member Posts: 1
    I've owned an '02 X-Type 3.0 with the manual gearbox for a few years now and I have nothing but good things to say about the car. If I had to list the negatives, I'd have to say the rather unusual clutch engagement and the lack of two cup holders in the console. They've since fixed the cupholder issue but I don't know about the clutch. My 3.0 came with everything, including the GPS Nav System. It's black on black and that color combo as well as the engine-transmission combo probably make it a rare cat, at least in the USA.

It's my wife's car and she loves it. No major problems at all and the few small ones were corrected by the excellent warranty. The car is approaching 40,000 miles and still looks and drives like new.

It was my first Jaguar, but it very likely won't be my last.

My warranty included 'complementary' services including oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. I 'complement' that by supplying my own synthetic (Mobil 1 5W30) since Jaguar does not use synthetic oil in the X-Type but I use it in everything I own.
  • kkearkkear Member Posts: 2
    Anybody having alignment/tire wear problems on their X type. Needed 2 alignments within 15K.

It could just be lousy roads here outside PHilly, but I'd like some input.

Check Cherry Hill Classic Cars in C.H., N.J.

We went past 4 other dealers to get the deal they gave us, and they they treated us like luxury car buyers, not deal chasers.
    You'll have better luck in our regular X-Type discussion:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea46d6

This discussion is mainly for those in the purchasing process, but you'll find other owners in the topic linked above.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    We bought an X-type in January. We searched the web, found a pretty good price from a dealer 40 miles away. Then we called and discussed it on the phone. Then we took that information to our local dealer and he was really good about giving us a better deal. He didn't use a hard sell approach, but simply sat down with us and went through the details. I'd buy another car from him in a heartbeat.
  • geraldxjaggeraldxjag Member Posts: 2
    I got mine for $29K with heated front seats. You shd. pay around this price range. I bought my brand new X-type 3.0 Jan. 29. I found out that buying a car towards the end of the month is a good strategy since salesmen have to meet their monthly quota or something like that. Now that Ford/Jaguar reported negative last quarter earnings, they want your business.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    A NW dealer has been sitting on this unit for a little over 6 months. It has the standard equipment, nothing fancy, & Radiance Red.

Last December, a few sold for less than $40,000 on e bay and they had less than 10,000 miles.

Considering the Sales Tax is 8.8% - what should this Jag sell for today?
  • mattr82mattr82 Member Posts: 41
    We are very interested in purchasing a remaining 05 X-TYPE VDP w/ navi. Has anyone had any experience purchasing this car in NY/NJ/PA area? The MSRP comes to around 41k, but the best price we have been offered is around 37k OTD, including 6% NJ sales tax, 99 docu fee, 399 regis for 48 mo. Being that Jaguar's sales have been very poor, and the 06's are coming out soon, we feel that we can get a very good deal for this car now. Any recommendations on negotiating or which dealer/salesperson we should use would be spectacular. If people could post what they paid for this car, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
    Matt :)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Jaguar X-Type. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • zillzzillz Member Posts: 21
    I have some questions about leasing, which is something I've never done. I am somewhat interested in the Jaguar 3.0 liter X-Type Base Sedan, despite hearing conflicting stories of reliability problems, especially with drivetrains, and since the nearest dealership is 100 miles from where I live, I've been wisely advised that purchasing a used one out of warranty would be a risky undertaking. The person suggested that I lease a brand new model to see if I like it and to find out if it will have problems in its first 3 years. He said that during a lease, a car is still under full factory warranty, and I assume this would be the case regardless of the Dealership's distance from me. With that said, If I looked at a new Base X-Type, which would be priced around 33,000 dollars, give or take, what would I need as a down payment, and what could I expect my monthly lease payment to be for, say, 36 months? Could I lease for 48 months? What would the residual Buy-Out be in both of these scenarios? I know the sales tax would be split over the lease period..Tax on 33k at .055 (My State rate) would be about 1815.00, or about $50.00 for 36 months, plus title, license, etc, would probably add another 5-10 bucks. I tried to calculate this on the Jag USA site, but it said that there is currently no leasing on the X-type in my geographical area. I noticed that someone had a $480 payment on a $41,000 model before TT& L, and I would assume in my hypothetical scenario, it would be less. My best guess is that including TT&L, I'd be looking at about $450 total for 36 months, and I'd be able to buy it for about 19K at the end. Is that about right?
    Greetings zillz. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Consumers can and should lease any new vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of down payment. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your Jaguar would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put several thousand dollars down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. At lease signing, you will just have to pay your car's first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to that payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment, Jaguar Credit's $495 lease acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect on this car, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and an approximate selling price. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable.

Car_man
    Host
  • eaglcoacheaglcoach Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I am seriously considering leasing a 2005 X-Type. The full MSRP that I've gotten is 37590. And have a quote for the car at just over 30000 - not sure if that's the best I can do, but it's a start. I live in Nassau County in NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi eaglcoach. Jaguar is currently providing $3,500 dealer cash on leases of 2005 X-Type 3.0L models through Jaguar Credit. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your car's selling price, though it already looks as though it is. This car's lease money factor, residual value, and ultimate lease payment will depend upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. For example, if you were to lease it for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00107 and 45%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $37,590 and a selling price of $30,000, I estimate that this car should have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $414.

Car_man
    Host
  • bikeswimrunbikeswimrun Member Posts: 5
    Are there any more current dealer leasing incentives not shown in the edmunds incentives listing?

What are the residuals for a 24 or 36 month lease with 15k miles???
  • bikeswimrunbikeswimrun Member Posts: 5
    I was recently quoted a money factor of 0.00031 and a residual of 43% on a 39 mo/15K lease. Payment was $656 before sales taxes. The MSRP was $45,445 and cap cost, including capitalizing all the fees but no cap cost reduction, was $43,534 (Loaded x-type sport). Clearly the interest factor is less than 1% per annum. But I wonder if since Jag is buying down the rate, is there any other incentives between mfg and dealer??
    Hey bikeswimrun. Jaguar is currently providing $1,500 dealer cash on 2006 X-Types. However, this cash is not compatible with Jaguar Credit's special lease program. It also has owner loyalty cash available on this model right now, but I believe that you mentioned in another discussion that you currently have a Land rover so you probably are not eligible for it.

As far as this car's lease program goes, if you were to lease a 2006 X-Type Sedan through Jaguar Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00001 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00031 and 44%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • estate1estate1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Marisa - we just recently purchase an 04 X-Type and it had 1 key w/fob and an extra key. We found another fob on eBay for fractions of what the dealer wanted and just programmed it ourself. I saw uncut keys on there as well. Here's 1 example - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-UNCUT-REMOTE-KEY-S-X-TYPE-2001-2004-MODELS- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ010QQitemZ200041258420QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW- DVW. There are other eBayers who sell the programming for about $5. We did it ourselves and it took about 15 seconds. You would have to have someone cut it for you though.
  • jlinchecjlinchec Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at 2007 X-Types 3.0 standard (not sport). Does anyone have examples of the money factor, residual, and final dollars amounts they paid?

Thank you!
  • tess4tess4 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for advice. Am interested in purchasing a new 2006 X Type in New England. Want the premium package, heated seats, dynamic stability control, duel seat control and possibly a moon roof. Got the best price of $33K. Anyone have thoughts on this or the best dealer to use in New england.

Teresa
This discussion has been closed.