Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 VW Jetta

lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
Anyone out there with info regarding the new 2005 VW Jetta Sedan? Here's what someone posted as the new look.

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/51314.jpg
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/51315.jpg

I think it's a very interesting look.

Comments

• sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Looks like an updated Toyota Corolla..
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    The front looks like a Toyota Corolla and the rear favors a Acura RSX....but, overall I like the look.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    I agree with you....I called VW customer info helpline to enquire about when the 05 will start arriving at dealor lots and they told me mid oct.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Huh. We still have the 05 Jetta release date as January 2005!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ok now am confused....The 05 Jetta Wagon is already out - am I right?, I guess maybe that's what the VW rep was reffering to. Am just anxiously awaiting for the 05 model. Do you have any more filler on the 05 model other than the date it will hit the market in Jan of next year?
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    The 05 Jetta will be made only in Mexico and actually imported to Germany as Bora's. I would be surprised if we see it before January. The logic is that sedans are popular in North America and not so popular in EU and of course MExico is cost-effective regardless. I doubt the 05 wagons are out unless they decided to make them in Germany which also could make some sense because wagons are more popular in EU than North America. ANybody have info on the new wagons??
  • jchjch Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI wagon in Wisconsin on Monday (August 30). It was a "sold vehicle", but the buyer decided to wait, for some reason. It was the first 2005 that dealer had seen so far. It is exactly the same as the 2004, from what we've been told. I don't know if there are going to be any changes to the wagons corresponding to the "new" Jetta later on. The sticker claims the following:
    U.S./Canadian Parts Content: 1%
    Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content:
        Germany: 80%
        Poland: 15%
    Final Assembly Point: Wolfsburg, Germany
    Country of Origin:
          Engine: Poland
          Transmission: Germany

By the way, I only have about 450 miles on it, but I LOVE this car! No rattles, no squeaks, not a single issue so far. Anyway, we have one, and it says 2005 on the sticker.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    To clarify, I was talking about the new Jetta, not the old model which is unchanged and hardly a "future vehicle". The new Jetta may also be a 2005 if it makes it by January or maybe it will be later and be a 2006.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    When ever the new jetta comes out it will be a 2006 model. This topic is obsolete! We should all go to the 2006 VW Jetta board to continue.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Perhaps the form name should be changed to Jetta 5.

This way Europeans would be able to find information relating to the Jetta 5, or Golf 5, without trying to figure out if their model year corresponds to the North America release (guess it would be Jetta/Bora).

Plus, the Golf will be available in 05 and it is just a hatch Jetta.

or not...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We have way more members based in the US than in Europe or elsewhere, so we keep the titles consistent with that market for now.

We've still got the Jetta down as an '05 model with a March 05 release date, but we'll change the topic title if we get more concrete info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Has anyone seen the new 05 jetta? I was looking around carsdirect.com's website and to my surprise they've listed the 05 model as available, however not in all regions. I thought it wasn't due until March 05.

Check this site out:
    http://www.carsdirect.com/research/volkswagen/jetta/2005/gl/color- - s
    That's not the "NEW" 05 jetta, it's just a new 05 jetta.

:)
    i still think a lot of confusion could be saved by renaming this topic to "2006 jetta".

well anyway. those interested in the next generation jetta should read edmund's review of the 06 audi A4 paying close attention to the comments about the new 2.0t engine. it looks like this engine rocks and is suppose to be available in the new jetta!
    I would guess that the newly designed Jetta will come out as a 2005.5 model. So, the '05 will be the same body style as the '04's. As the Passat did in '01.5. Just my guess.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I think VW will officially unveil the next-generation Jetta based on the Golf Mk. V design probably at the Detroit International Auto Show in January 2005. It will look something like the Mk. V. Golf, and will likely be powered by a new 150 bhp 2.0-liter normally-aspirated and 200 bhp 2.0-liter turbocharged engines (sorry, you won't see the VR6 engine intially). It's also likely that VW may bring over the successor to the PD150 turbodiesel engine used on current Golf/Bora models in Europe starting in the 2007 model year for the Jetta as the entire USA switches to low-sulfur diesel fuel.
    Great insight, am not doubting the accuracy of the details, but raychuang00 where did you get this technical information from? Is there a website you can share with the audience in this forum? Am anxiously waiting for the 05 (or if it turns out to be 06) model to hit dealer lots.
    since the 06 jetta is suppose to debut next spring it does make sense that it'll first show up at the detroit auto show.

i'm so impressed with the new 2.0l turbo that i don't think i'll miss the VR6 too much.
  • belly232belly232 Member Posts: 3
    The back looks a little japanese as in acura or toyota
    It does a little, but still looks good to me.

Toyota Corolla anyone?????
    heh...perhaps a little

To me, the back end looks more like an Acura TL with Corolla-ish styled tail lights. I think they were attempting to mimic the A8 lights with out stepping on the big brothers toes.

• 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    ...and where do you think the Corolla got the roof mounted antenna idea from? It was pioneered by VW with the 1986 Scirocco 16V...
    I would rather Toyota copy the roof mounted antenna than VW mimic the rear end of a Corolla....
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    Any new pictures of the Jetta to keep us entertained?
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    In addition to any new pictures, any information on what options/features VW might offer with the new Jetta?
    Here you go...

• creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    isn't gonna cut it -- no cutting-edge style. Just like the melting-pot RX-7 from the late 80's -- a Supra/928/944, but no beauty.

By the way, even the new GTI got a boring-enough steering -- lacking in road feel, per CAR & AUTOCAR British magazines.
    I think it's quite nice compared to others in its market segment. It's gained an elegant yet aggressive profile.

Not sure about handling, need to drive it myself.

A 2.5L with 150 hp, 168 lb torque seems adequate for a base.

A GLI with a 2.0T and DSG tranny seems impressive...if they keep the price in the low to mid 20's

I can't think of many cars in that price range that I would rate as superior in design.

Volvo S40 is nice, but think the high end version would elevate it out of a direct comparison. The TSX may be a competitor of the GLI, once real numbers come out.

As a base car at 17K (assume similar to out going model) I can't think of any thing that approcahes it.

Comparing old to new

A handsom car, but, again, the rear looks like the current generation Corolla.
    Corolla, prehaps a little, although I think it has more in common with it's big brother

• sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Looks alot like the Corolla which is okay-ish for the small segment but none of them look as good and taut as the new Mazda 3. Another boring, safe small car design...
    "...the rear looks like the current generation Corolla."

The taillights look like the Phaeton & even the next Passat, but the rear pillar & its surrounding elevated belt line only remind me of the Corolla. The car does look longer than the Corolla, though.
    "Comparing old to new"

The old one may look dated by comparison, but I remember that chicks digged the old one -- at least it's got something to attract their attention.
    heh...married.

Trouble starts for me when the chicks start "diggin" me.

women...go figure.
    thanks for the pictures.

i like the car. i like the car alot.

now can you get some pictures of the inside? the interior will probably look pretty close to the new golf's interior. this would be good because i like how that looks too.

i'm hoping the 2.0t will be able in GLS models.
    All i've heard about the interior is that it will look like the Golf, but have higher quality materials.

So it should look something like this...

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Glad to see the anemic and thirsty 2.0L has gotten the axe. But... while I'm impressed somewhat by the new 2.5L's torque figure, I'm perplexed at the low hp rating (given not only the displacement but especially the cylinder count), and I wonder how fuel economy will fare.

As a reference point Toyota's PZEV 2.4L 4 cylinder produces 151 horses and 161 foot pounds in the Camry, and achieves 24/34 EPA. (Rated at 160 and 163 respectively as a ULEV-II).

Has VW acheived a PZEV status for this engine, and that is why the power seems a bit low?

~alpha
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    This car looks like a Corolla...but given VW's deplorable quality history, will be far from it in reliability.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "This car looks like a Corolla...but given VW's deplorable quality history, will be far from it in reliability."

Never ever ever underestimate a underdog.

There are a lot of Comeback Kid stories!

According to JD Power surveys: Hyundia is among the top cars in terms of reliability. Jagaur(notorious reputation) is tied with Lexus in terms of customer satisfaction.

Heard that VW is going to prioritize Quality in their upcoming models. Miracles do happen! Who knows maybe the new VW Jetta will be more reliable than a Corolla. Such comeback stories have happened before and will continue to happen.

Even if it does not happen, I know that overall owners are far more passionate about their Jettas than boring Corollas. And I mean passionate in postitive terms, not only negative terms.
    VWVortex says the 2.5 is a detuned Gallardo derivative (150 hp, 168 lb/ft). I'm not sure what that means, but I suspect that its real world performance will be superior to the higher rated Camry (and Accord).

Maybe VW will have BMW horse power ratings...you know, their bhp rating is closer to the rear wheel horsepower rating.

You don't really know where the power is made either, so it's difficult to say how good the engine is.

You could also make the engine comparison between the TSX and the 2.0T. They both produce 200hp, but the 2.0T makes MUCH more torque much lower down, and the high compression engine (for a turbo) gives a better throttle response (and highway mileage); since I've not driven the 2.0T, this is what I infer from my readings.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I'd expect turbos to be said to have poor throttle response, and I know that VW's are criticized for electronic throttle lag.

Interesting that their compact will have a 5-cyl engine. That's what they mean by Gallardo derivative... it's half of that car's V10, detuned for reliability, mileage, and emissions. But it's interesting because it's the next step in compact car engines becoming bigger. It's becoming normal for 4-cylinder engines to be 2.3L or 2.4L, which is pretty much their upper limit. Harder to make those smooth unless you make them horizontally opposed like Subaru does, and the stresses are greater. 5-cyls have their own issues and I doubt they'll become common, but it could be an important selling point until Corollas and Civics start coming with V6's.

As for the new Jetta's design... nice, but not distinctive like the current one (which is nice in that it even differentiates itself from the Golf).
    i love the TSX but it doesn't have any real scoot with the automatic transmission for the reason stated in post #45. the engine comes alive with the 6 speed manual though.

i think the jury is still out on the performance of the 2.5 versus the 2.4's from toyota and honda. in WV's favor, the 5 cyl may have a broader torque cure and the 6 speed manual/automatic trannys should be more efficient.

all i know is that the 5 cyl will be a huge improvement as a base engine for the jetta and the current 4 cyl accords/camrys are more than adequate.
    i don't see the civic/corolla as competitors to the jetta except for size. this is going to be even more so with the the Gen V Jetta.

when equipped with the 2.0t, Jetta's competitors are more like the TSX, A4, S40 and 9-3 (but for less money, i hope).
    True,

I don't see Jettas competting with civic/corollas in any configuration.

More like 4cyl versions of the Camry/Accord/Altima/Mazada 6 vs the Jetta 2.5 and the 2.0T taking on the higher end crowd you mentioned.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Yeah I guess it's true, the Jetta's a half-step above most of the economy class. But Mazda's 3 is also pushing the upper envelope of economy cars, and with all the sub-economy cars coming out, more cars like the Civic and Cobalt will chase the Jetta upwards (but the midsized family cars aren't moving up at the same speed, which could make things interesting).
    And of all the companies to not sell a cheap car, it makes the least sense for VW to... not just because of their history, but because of Audi.

VW doesn't seem to get a lot of power out of its engines, considering their size. Plenty of peak torque in this one, but not much more than other 2.3L or 2.4L engines out there. I'm guessing its peak torque is earlier in the rev range, then drops off, which would explain its low peak hp (either that or a silly 4800rpm redline). Really turns me off, but most drivers will love that. If they've solved their reliability issues, this could do alright, but I still think it's a tight niche to play.
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Can anyone please provide their thoughts as per the long term reliability of a turbocharged engine?

I usually keep my cars 100,000 - 120,000 miles and am debating between the 5 cylinder and turbocharged 4. Thanks!
    It's my understanding that most modern turbo-charged engines are just as reliable as normally aspirated engines.

They do require slightly higher maintenance with frequent oil changes and/or higher grade of oil. Personally I wouldn't be concerned with the 100-120,000 range.

On a side note...Abt already has 2.0T modifications, it takes the power to 230hp 230 ft/lb.
This discussion has been closed.