Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    I like the idea of seat warmers, so I might try your idea - they would go good with the power windows, door locks, and auto-dimming mirror I've installed.

By the way, did you ever get the hoist for your garage?
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Did ya forget to email me your invoice? :) Thought so :) That's ok, whenever ya can I've got plenty of time.

Seat warmers huh bama? Are you the guy that came to a dealer near me a couple of years ago and ordered a Jeep with power windows, seat warmers etc. but he either didn't get financing or changed his mind. The sticker price was over 30,xxx....wow.

Haven't sold the car yet the woman wants to have a mechanic check it out so......I'm patiently waiting.

Well folks, come to Gill's when ya can we welcome the old crew and the newbies :)

Hug your Jeeps for me :)

dwrangler
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    everyone picking on me?
    I didnt get seat warmers.. I would like too..
    at 3:30 in the AM its still cool out there.
    And i've got the hoist on order..
    I've lost your email D, i havent forgot about ya.
    You can click on my name to emial me, or you can post it.
    picked up mirror relocation brackets, cause this year im taking the doors off.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    CNN link

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I'm not too surprised by the Jeep coming in at #2 on the list. It's not exactly a secure vehicle. I wish I had gotten the security key/engine disabler option like yellowman. It sure saved him a stolen Jeep. I'm hoping the club I keep on it all the time is at least a deterrent.

I am totally mystified by the appearance of the Mitsubishi Mirage on that list. Who drives those? I'm not even sure there ARE 1000 of them on American roads.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Finally got the VIN etched on my windows for the insurance company. Looks like I got it on just in time after having seen the CNN report.

The dealer had 6 adhesive backed templates with my VIN that he stuck to the two side windows and the windshield. He then pulled an acid pen out of his pocket that looked like a magic marker and dabbed at each template a bit. After the last one was finished he went around and pulled the templates off starting with the first one put on. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. The instructions I was given was to not roll down my windows for an hour as it might smear the etching. I asked if I needed to wash it off later and was told no. It looked like a pretty simple process and was quite quick.

One of the glass companies in town told me that a store called Hobby Lobby has a glass etching kit and that you could do it yourself. That could be an option for folks that might get a break on their insurance and with the CNN report who knows.
    Sounds like it might be worth checking in to.

I think I would play with some glass before I tried to do my Jeep (do a friend's Jeep first).

Finally got my spare tire put on last night by the tire company. The wheel and the tire were in the same place at the same time so they were able to get it mounted, balanced, and mounted on the rear.

I am a happy camper.
  • markymaypomarkymaypo Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know if there are any good 2 piece hard tops available? I have a 2000 TJ. I only have a soft top and want something that's easier to take on and off then the 1 piece hard top.

Also, I am considering getting a performance catback. I've seen them from Borla, Jardine, and Gibson. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Hi gang,
    I recently purchased a 2002 X model with Trac Lock. At the time of purchase I thought if you got the Trac lock you automatically got the 373 ratio. Now I'm not so sure. How do I tell which ratio I have ?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Back when I was stationed in Germany window etching kits were quite popular. I had someone put a really cute horse on one of my windows. There were all kinds of different decorative templates available, and anyone could do it, as long as they were careful. I had totally forgotten that - those were my van conversion days and a number of the people in the van clubs had them.
    I had forgotten about those. I borrowed a friend's Explorer for a few days once and it had a nice, er, unicorn design that about took up the entire rear window. I got all kinds of looks :-)

Steve
    Host
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    The window sticker may have had the axle ratio on it or you can crawl under it and look at the tag on the diff cover. It will have a series of numbers. if you have the 3.73 , you'll see 373 either at the beginning or end of the tag (I don't remember). To confirm Trac-loc, it will say "add friction modifier" or something similar. HTH

-twylie
    I'm not in the loop in this window VIN etching
    actually ive NEVER heard of it before..
    Is this a STATE thing or just a personal thing.
    I dont thinkI would want my VIN on my window
    THEFT. I dont get it.. every car I get seems to get in the top 5.. I had a Cutlass ..hmm that was #2 then.. Camaro.. #1 Now Wrangler..
    I must like the same car the thieves do..
    Still no luck on getting this payment thing worked out. I was on phone with them for an HOUR today yelling at them
    To my records I am paid up through JUNE..
    but nooo they said If I dont make my MAY payment i will get late fees..
    OK I get penalized for their goof.
    It sure was easy for them to deposit into wrong account. But it takes a over a MONTH to take it out? Take 2 steps forward take 3 back..

WHEW
    Goin crazy!
    Bama
    We're dating ourselves, aren't we? But then, I already did that when I said the first Jeep I ever drove was a military jeep...

Bama - there has always been a possible insurance savings if you etch your windows. My only thought was that if someone really wanted it they would probably break that window to get your car! So I've never had it done. But maybe next time, if it will really save me money on the insurance!
    First new car I ever purchased was a '74 CJ-5.

Steve
    Host
    I wonder how much you paid for that CJ-5. Do you recall? Did it have the cool Renegade labeling on the side or the Levis seats?
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    have the bank make a copy of the cancelled check with proof of when it was deposited in the wrong account and tell them they'd better fix the problem....then see if you can contact a local consumer reporter at a local tv station and see if bad press will move their butts. I'd better not have problems with them I'm not gonna put up with that crap!

Let em have it bama :)

Cross your fingers folks I've got another person interested in my car.....if it sells soon it may not be much longer :) to Jeeper's heaven :)

Hug your Jeeps for me...til I get mine ;)

dwrangler
    I have no clear memory, but I want to say between $3500 and 4 thousand? Be fun to dig up a old copy of Edmunds' New Cars & Trucks Prices & Review and look it up. I remember buying a couple of VW bugs in the early '70's and they were always around $1995, so it'd make sense that a CJ-5 would be about double that. I was making ~$8,000 a year in 1974, btw :-)

The Renegade was out then I guess, but I don't remember much about them. I do remember the Levi seats around that time but they would have been out of my price range.

Steve
    Host
    You have me beat. The first new car I bought was a '75 Datsun B-210 Hatchback. Think it cost $3,000, my payments were something like $100 a month for 3 years, and I thought that was barely affordable! And now I'm thinking of financing a car for 3 years and paying closer to $800 a month!
    My first new car was a 76 CJ-5. Had the big six, heavy duty heating, cooling, and suspension, 3 speed, locking hubs, draw bar, soft top, spare tire lock (about $5 I think), and an AM radio that did not even have push buttons. I thought I paid about $6000 for it in NC, but that might have been with financing and all the fees included. Good old plastic seats and no carpet or padding of any sort came with it. The bars for the top flapped against the side windows and buggered them up. Canvas doors that had one of the hinge pins break off so that it had to be welded back. Front windows that had to be replaced because of the zippers. Not quite as refined as they are now. Had a heck of a heater. I wanted the 304 V8, but they did not have have any that caught my attention so I went with the six cylinder. I don't remember the Levi seats being an option, but when you get as old as I am, you tend to have memory problems. Oh yea, I did not have a back seat since you had to pay extra and that also got me a break on my plates since it was classified as a truck. I like the old tail gate style better than what they have now. Dating myself even further, the first stick that I ever drove was a Jeep Commando (Commander?) and the first car I owned (used) was a Saab 96 with a 3 speed on the column and a 3 cylinder, two cycle engine. Figure that one out all you youngsters out there.

Bama, I save about $200 a year on my insurance for having the windows etched. Another insurance company that I talked with does not offer a discount for etching in TX. I guess you would want to ask before you did it. Oh yea, let me know what kind of car you are going to buy next so that I can be certain not to buy the same thing. Would like to keep my rates down by not having a vehicle that the thieves like.

Mtngal, I figured the side windows might be broken out also if the vehicle is stolen. That is why I think it is crazy that the insurance company only wants to see two windows etched. Even if they break the windows I still save that $200 a year on the insurance. The other program that I am in has engine and body parts etched which I think would be more realistic in aiding in the recovery of the vehicle.
    If you haven't seen them, Jeep has a section of their website with old video and print ads for Jeep products that go WAY back to the days when it was owned by AMC and (even earlier) Kaiser and Willys. It's at http://www.jeep.com/news_features/heritage/index.html

My favorite commercials of the bunch: an early 70s Levi's edition CJ5 commercial with several groovy girls parking their rears into the back seat of the Jeep, and especially the mid-60s Jeep Commando commercial with the Marlboro-voiced announcer telling you the Commando has "GUTS! Takes you wherever you need to go! GUTS! with a tough 6-cylinder engine! GUTS!" etc etc.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for your help. looks like I didn't get the 373's :( I will have to add another item to the list of mods

Dewars
    LOL, I had one of those $5 spare tire locks too. I'm pretty sure I had the back seat. Now all I have is a ~1949 Jeep truck grill hanging on the wall over my back porch :-)

Fun heritage link, Ducks.

Steve
    Host
    WOW..i was 7 in 1975...
    DWRANGLER..ive got the cashed money order I faxed it to them today. Stopped by my dealer today to check on lift, he gave me someone to call that will light someones fire.
    I wish u well on seling that firechicken
    Ok.where do you do this etching..very small?
    to me thats gotta look tacky with your VIN so everyone can see it.
    Hey OCEAN. belive me pal I'll let everyone know
    what my next car will be..

Keep Jeppin!!
    Bama!!
    Hey there youngster.

The etching I have is fairly small. The VIN is maybe a quarter of an inch in height and maybe two inches long. I really don't notice it that much and it is maybe a half inch from the bottoms of my side windows. The windshield is also etched, but it is so low you can not see it from the inside.

Remember that your VIN is already out there for the world to see. Just look down through the windshield at the dash and you can see the VIN plate.

Bama, I would check first with the insurance company to see if they will accept it and how much it might save you. I checked to see what a security system would save me and it would take me several years to break even.

Seems like a person could pick up some pocket change if they could get good at etching windows. $50 a pop for a person to save $200 a year? Sounds like a reasonable charge to me.
    OK - I've got more pictures of the Wrangler on some of our trips posted. If any one is wondering whether they should get a Wrangler or not, this might help convince them that Wranglers are good things to have in your life! The link to the new image station album is:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291863031

Of course, if you aren't into this type of scenery, then a Wrangler might not be a good idea...

Goducks I liked the heritage site. I was partial to the Jeep groupies getting in the back seat, but three at once in the back seat, is that possible? My favorite was the Jeepster with the woman that drove it for a trip that was over 2100 miles and she had spent less than $23 for gas and oil. You could tell she was not a high paid actor. I also liked the family that was using the Jeep (I think it was the Willys wagon) on the truck farm. Very versatile vehicle and another non high paid actor.

Mtngal you got a great set of pictures. I liked the one with the dog peering over the snow.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I take it you don't "etch" the plastic zip out windows at all, right? Does just the windshield count?

3 in back seat looked possible to me. Like to make it 4? ;-)

That was the peering, with an "R", right? ;-)

Who cares if people know the VIN? What difference does it make? Ask for social security number, and I'll tell you it is against federal law to even ask for it. VIN? No problem!

I think most glass companies will do etching for you. Also, in MA, the state police will sometimes offer services or special days when they do this for a modest fee of maybe $5-$10.
    I'm not sure how they fit 3 girls in the backseat of a CJ-5. Special effects maybe. In the backseat of a TJ seems more possible.

If they offered a Levis package on the TJ with a blue top and seats and the Levi's logo on the side, I'd buy one. I'm a 501s kinda guy. Actually I think it'd be a good deal for both Jeep and Levis. Levis has been losing market share to the younger crowd for years, yours truly excepted. How better to get them noticed by youth than to stick their logo on the side of a Wrangler? Of course, I'm a 31-yr-old Gen-Xer, so what do I know about the youth market.
    OK, here's my pitch for a special edition package. Any people from Jeep listening? To make a Levis edition TJ, you need to:
    1)take the Sahara seats and make them a solid medium blue with Levis red tags
    2)the Levis edition should be soft-top only. Get Bestop to make some TJ soft tops in the blue they currently offer for the CJ-5 and CJ-7 replacement tops.
    3)put the Levis logo where the "sport" or "sahara" logo goes on the side of the Jeep.
    4)make the dash plastics in a special dark blue, the same color I've seen used on some Sebring convertibles.
    5)limit the outside color choices to green, blue, or white.

Any takers here?
    Sounds like a winner to me..
    not sure about the blue dash.. but hey..
    I do understand. Dont forget LEVI tire cover...
    OCEAN.. Thanx for the info I am gonna look into it
    I cant believe ive never heard of this window etching before. BUT..if it saves on Insurance,
    I'm all for that.

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
    Weren't the seats DENIM fabric?

I used to buy levis until the boycott. Now I buy Carhartt.
    I think the seats were some soft of fabric, but not denim. I mean, they definitely were not cotton. Anybody here remember? I'm too young :)

What boycott? Who's boycotting Levis?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ... were made in vinyl (but they did have copper rivets)!

http://www.jeep.com/news_features/heritage/popups/cj5_53/img/CJ-5_ad.jpg

What a great idea - having a Levi edition. A blue interior is a good idea, too. I'm getting tired of all cars having either charcoal grey or tan interiors. Blue is nice - that is one of the reasons I bought that uncomfortable Taco.

I've actually preferred the older dashes to the TJ one, simply because the TJ is longer and I sometimes hit my lower leg on it if I have the seat a little too close. I had to get used to stretching to get the clutch in all the way (actually a good idea anyway, since I'm so short and I was probably sitting too close to the airbag anyway).

I think the thing that impressed me the most about the old CJ was when I watched a friend of mine in Arizona. They had been wheeling and brought back one of the muddiest vehicles I've ever seen - both inside and out. All they did was hose it out to clean it up (no carpet in those days). I thought that was really cool!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I had a relative send me a "Top care kit" from 4WD Hardware. Since I've acquired a few scratches and scuffs on my windows, I figured I'd give it a try yesterday. Kit contains (16 oz. bottle of 303 Protectant, 20 oz. bottle of Plexo Cleaner and three 8 oz. bottles of Novus Scratch Remover [1 cleaner, mild scratch and heavy scratch]). I used the mild scratch remover and the Novus cleaner and I was very impressed. ALL the marks came out with minimal effort. The 303 is suppose to be good for plastics as it has UV protection and says it will prevent greying of black plastic if used regularly. I will hit the flares, tounneau, and bikini with it and see how it does. I had used similar products on my MG's windows, but the Novus stuff is GREAT. Apparently this stuff will even help a window that has started to cloud due to age and use. I checked 4WD.com (Part # 86722) and the kit is only $25. Seems like a bargain if it can revive a set of windows or a top.

-twylie
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    I guess it depends on where they put the rivets! They'd get flippin' hot out here in the Desert. A black jeep without A/C's bad enough. That kind of thing could leave a scar!!!
    303 Protectant usually costs about a dollar an ounce, so that kit sounds like a good price to me.

Steve
    Host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    My Sun Performance rocker guards got here yesterday. I am still waiting for the Kilby gas tank skid to get here, though.

Those rocker guards are really nice looking and they are heavy! They should provide some real protection and make Thelma Jane look better at the same time. I don't know when I will install them. My garage has no electricity, and I have no floor jack to use to hold the rocker guards in place while I mark the spots to drill. (DRILL! Can you guys imagine old Tom taking a drill to Thelma Jane???)

Trey, thanks for the link to the write up on installing the rocker guards. I have printed out those instructions. The guards are not complicated to install, but the guy who wrote that article has added some good, practical tips to the original instructions.

I know I am not going to try to install the Kilby by myself when it comes in, so I might wait on the rocker guards and see if I can get my wheelin' buddy to help me install the rocker guards and the Kilby in one work session. He has access to a huge shop with all kinds of tools. That's where he put that lift on Thelma for me.

We were supposed to have set a record low temperature here last night. It was suppposed to get down to the lower 40's! It rained all night the night before last and all day yesterday, so you can imagine how pleasant it has been around here lately. Today is overcast and cold.

Gill's has been down the last three nights, and I haven't heard from him as to what is wrong. Don't give up, you guys. Keep trying to get in there, and it will come back up eventually.

In the mean time, let's chat on AIM (AOL Instant Message). Most of the gang that goes to gills have AIM. If you don't have it, you can download it from AOL's home page. It is free, and you can still use it, even if you don't have AOL. Put me on your buddy list as "tjoh298765" and holler at me when you see me online.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Boy, it sure has been a while since i've posted here.

Since my last post I have installed a 2.5 inch Heavy Duty OME suspension on my jeep which netted me 3 inches in height. I just put on 33x10.5 BFG A/T KO Tires with my Canyon Wheels. I have also bought a hardtop and hard upper sliders for my half doors which I use in the winter months.

Heres a link to a picture of how my "Tonkajeep" looks now.

http://www.newlift.homestead.com/ome.html

Hope you are gonna be a regular here again.

That TonkaJeep is LOOKIN' GOOD! :)

Tom

DUDE,,,
    that jeep is looking good... u gooo tonks
    Tsjay..
    Mr Trail rider..your ready for the great outdoors now arent ya..
    Ive been wondering about gills..Has he gave up on it?
    I gotta download AIM again.. not working for me

twylie
    thanks for the info on the cleaner, im gonna look into it

BAMA
    Love the look!

Post a pic when you put the sliders on - I really would like to see them on. Have you used them? What do you think?
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Nice to hear that you have a little bit of lift now, but it sounds like the stuff you are putting on Thelma will take her back down to stock height due to the extra weight!!
    Yeah, I think you're right. Oh well, guess the way to look at it is that I would be BELOW stock height without the little baby lift. :)

I gotta protect Thelma Jane if I am gonna wheel her. Wish I had the bucks to spend to get an oil pan skid, but that will have to wait.

When ya gonna come wheel with me, Kev?

Tom

Gill replied to my email and said that the site got zapped by a thunderstorm. He is really depressed and said he "doubted that he would restore it this time."

Poor Old Gill sure hasn't had any luck with that web site. He is working long hours with all the irons he has in the fire, and he has had to restore that site about six times or more because of getting hacked or having storms take it out.

Let's email him and ask him to bring it back up when he can find the time. I don't think we have thanked him nearly enough for all the time and money he has put into that site. He needs to know that we appreciate him.

Use the following email address, and not the one that is part of the web site.

gblue@oppcatv.com

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    So where's the chat now? I just logged on to ilst.edu but no one's there. Too bad about Gill, I hope he comes back. It's a great site that just needs some word of mouth.
    This is the one I was talking about:

http://www.keepandbeararms.org/boycott_levis.htm

but apparently there are other boycotts of them as well:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=boycott+Levi&btnG=Google+Search

Since Gill's is out of commission (temporarily, I hope), I am calling a buddy chat on AIM for 7 PM CST. Hope all of you can make it.

I will watch for you to appear on my Buddy List and send you an invitation as soon as you show up.

Hope we have a good crowd.

If you don't have AIM, please download it from the AOL home page, and then holler at me so I can add you to my buddy list and invite you to the buddy chat.

I am tjoh298765 on AIM.

See you guys at 7, I hope.

Tom

P.S. Who are my buddies? All of you. Everyone is welcome.
    I have 6:56 PM on my radio clock. So far my 7:00 PM chat is going great. The only problem is that I am the only one there. :(

Come on everyone! You don't have to be stylishly late.

Tom