Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Yeah, use the AC and defroster whenever you want, but don't do like my wife and just leave it on all the time even when it's a nice cool temp and no defrost is needed. She kills me. :P
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    That sounds consistent with what I have seen with mine so far - similar truck....

Wayne
  • jscobeyjscobey Member Posts: 3
    Demoncleaner, can you tell me about the TRD exhaust system? I have seen it listed as an option but Toyota doesn't give many details about it. Is it a performance enhancer or just a sound enhancer? What does it sound like?
  • ilovetacoilovetaco Member Posts: 1
    Man, I've been looking at your guys' MPG. You got it made. Maybe I have a heavy foot but I haven't seen ANYTHING more than 15.8 since I bought my truck. Normally see under 15!!! I drive for work so it's more freeway than city. Does anyone know of anything that will increase mileage?
    06, 4.0, 2WD, 6 speed, 3,500 miles, flowmaster dumped, soon to add k&n 63-9025
    In driving, I seldom push it over 2,000 RPM, so you may think me light footed. I try to stay at a steady speed as much as possible, you will almost never see me moving agressively to pass on the 4 lane highway of death that is Highway 98, where about 1/2 of my commute is.

I have the automatic by the way.

Wayne
  • bowtie40bowtie40 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all with your MPG posts. I have recently upgraded my 96 Tacoma (194,000 wonderful miles!) to a 2005 DC 4L 6-speed. I was disappointed with the MPG, averging 15.5 within the first 2K miles. Based on all your comments, I'm assuming that will only go up.
    I have watched quite a bit over the past few days. I would estimate that I spend about 80% of my drive time in the range of 1400 - 1600 RPM.

Wayne
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    Typically, I've been getting 17 miles per gallon around town here in southern california. I don't have much of a lead foot.
  • jazzbeaujazzbeau Member Posts: 10
    Happened to run across your posting about MPG on a 2000 Tacoma 4x4. I have one and the best mileage I've had with mine is 24.7. That was on a trip back from Lake Tahoe to Mt Shasta CA. I drove Hiway 80 to 20 to 99 to I-5. My normnal average is 23-24 mpg and I rarely exceed 70 mph but mostly cruise at 65. When driving I-5 through the Cascades, I get about 20-21. This terrian is pretty hilly and I encounter the Dunsmuir grade which is about 3-4 miles long at 6%. The 2.7 motor is an awesome unit. I have just under 60k on it today and I've never had any problems with my yota.. it's an awesome truck. Why didn't Mr Ford or Mr GM just buy a Toyota or a Honda and see the quality. Instead, they did the typical American Corp thing by living for today and brushing their noses at the future... Now they're going broke... Hmmmm, I wonder why ? :confuse:
  • stickman7364stickman7364 Member Posts: 1
    I like my new Tacoma but I've also been pretty disappointed with the gas mileage. Bought a 2006 V6, 4x4 TRD Offroad automatic transmission 6 weeks ago and I've put 2500 miles on it; highway and city. Sticker said 17-21 and I'm lucky to get 16. I'm thinking part of the reason may be the "clean air" gas they force you to buy here in the Denver Metro area over the wintertime. Hoping the mileage will increase 1-2 mpg when they put "the real" gas back in the pumps come spring/summer?
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I love my new 2005 Tacoma I bought about 6 monthes ago. Its my work truck and I have to use it every day. It gets fine gas mileage.It gets about 22 mpg. I drove it from where I live(Acton,Ca) all the way to Bakersfield with only a quater and the truck lasted. Its much better than my 1998 F150. What a truck! :)
  • My 01 now has 27K miles on it... and I'm underwhelmed with the gas mileage. My driving is probably 75% highway which gives me about 16MPG. If I drive 99% highway it gets up to 19MPG. Just took a trip in my new Accord EX 4cyl AT (hwy EPA 34) and got 38.7 from Sacramento to Bakersfield. I could have gotten 600 miles out of the tank if I wanted! I've had 51 vehicles and the secret is power to weight ratio, aerodynamics, and having an engine large enough to push the package. My 99 Tacoma 2.4, 5 speed would consistently get 21 around town and as high as 28 highway. Wish someone would build a truck close to the ground with a V8 so I could get good gas mileage AND performance (I've also owned 5 ElCaminos). Unfortunately they're built in Australia (see Holden Maloo... GTO cousin), but we'll never see them. Or how about a diesel in a Tacoma?
  • mltindlemltindle Member Posts: 1
    I just acquired an 01 extended cab, auto, w/2.7 liter, with 60K miles on it. I'm getting about 12 mpg in city driving, with a very light foot. is this normal? Seems pretty pathetic for a four cylinder.
  • seahorse1seahorse1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm moving on from a Prius (don't ask) to something else. I'm thinking about getting back to owning a truck, but I'm concerned about getting 1/3 the mileage I'm used to. My old full size 5 speed 5.7L Silverado did better than what I'm seeing here. Is 15-16mpg for the V6 Tacoma city or highway?

Any significant difference between a 5/6 speed (my preference) and an automatic, in either economy or handling?

Anybody towing with their Tacoma? How's that working out?
    Thanks!
    :D
  • matt612matt612 Member Posts: 3
    All I can comment on is the mileage of my 05 6 speed 4 litre Access cab. Yeah about 17-18 is the best I'm getting in WV highway.

And the paint won't stay on the dern thing.
  • ben2002ben2002 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry, if this has already been discussed.

What values is everyone using to calculate MPG, I think my 02 XC 2.7L tank is 18.5G. That said, everytime at the pump, I fill 15.9-16.5G that drives ~340 ~350 and gas light comes on. Is ~20.6 to 22.01 my mileage?
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    Ignore the size of the fuel tank (size really doesn't matter...).

Accurate numbers require that you divide actual miles driven by the actual gallons consumed. Since you don't actually measure the fuel you used, but do measure the distance, you're half way there. If you fill the tank to the same (or nearly same) point, then the fuel used since last fillup is the fuel you add to get to the same point.

i.e.- fill until the pump "clicks" (don't top off -though I do suggest that you fill slowly as you get near the top).
    Reset one of the trip odometers. At next fillup, divide the number of miles on the trip odo by the number of gallons to refill the tank to the same point (click off of pump). that's all there is.

FWIW, I get 17mpg in town w/ DC V6, auto PreRunner and about 22 in hiway. currently 8600 miles. (did improve about 1mpg from first few tanks)
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    My mileage in my 05 TRD Off Road 4X4 Crew Cab has taken a dip. Was averaging around 17.5, but now down around 15.5. Up to about 6.5K miles. i am really loyal about filling up before it gets to 1/2 tank, so that may have an effect. When I total up the numbers, it may very well come up higher. Of course the first few months I made long trips too. Had 3K on it before it was a month old.
    The only problem with calculating mpg on short runs (miles) and small volumes (fuel) is the error introduced by rounding and truncation of the measurements. (e.g. 15.1 miles could be 15.19 miles; 2.1 gallons could easily be +/1 1/2 gallon, not to mention the variation in level of tank fill from one fuel pump to the next.)

The error in fuel level fill of the tank should average out (in other words when you put more fuel in today and calculate with a higher volume-getting a lower mpg, the next time you fill to a lower level, the lower volume will compute a higher mpg. The average of those two will cancel out the errors in fill level.)
    However, the round off or truncation errors in mileage driven (odometer) or in fuel dispensed (fuel pump indication) will remain, and these normally small errors have a larger effect if the numbers are smaller. (i.e. 0.049 gallon error has a more significant effect on the calculation if you only added 2 gallons than if you added 20 to your tank; likewise, 0.049 miles has a larger effect on the calculation over a trip of only 15 miles vs a trip of 315 miles.) That having been said, adding the gallons used over several fillups and dividing them into the total miles for the same fillups will remove the effect of different fill levels of your tank, but will not cancel out the roundoff or truncation errors of the individual measurements. (You can eliminate most of those from the mileage if you had recorded the accumulating ODO readings and used the difference btwn the last and the first readings to compute the overall miles travelled.)
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I have an '05 4x2 AC 2.7L The mileage was fantastic for a few months. I got around 26 overall, with about 70% freeway. Up to 29 on the freeway. Now it's down to 23-26. Took a cruise from Seattle down I-5 then over to the coast at Hearst Castle. Back up through Monterey, San Jose, up the east bay, over to I-5 and back home. On the way down, around Sacramento, the truck started to seem a bit more powerful and smooth. The mileage went way up, 27-29, including two-lane roads on the coast. Went back down just before I got home. Doesn't make sense. I don't drive with a load, or tow, and was going 65-75 on the the I-5 part of the trip. Have 22,000 miles already. All oil changes done, I changed the air filter at 12,500. No debris in the box, not even dust. A few little problems have come up recently, like some metal hump is about to poke through the lower seat back of the drivers bucket seat. Parts on order from local dealer, under warranty. The head liner just in front of the map lights is sagging, and I have a number of small white chips on my 7 month old Red truck. Haven't brought that up yet at the shop. Am still pretty happy, but sometimes think a Camry with a trunk mounted bike rack would have worked better. I still have no idea what to do with the 'roomy back seat', in a Camry or Accord, it's a complete waste for me. Not ready to unload my Taco, just venting a bit.....
    ...and "number of miles driven" is trip odometer reading when the "low gas" light come on, right?
    no,no,no.

I must not have explained it clearly, but first, clear your thoughts of any preconceived means of calculating fuel economy.

Bottom line- you want to know how many miles were traveled for each gallon of fuel.

Easiest/most accurate method without adding instrumentation- Fill the tank to a predetermined point (in this case, either always fill to the first "click off" of the pump nozzle, or the second one, but ALWAYS to the same point). Reset the trip odometer that you will use for mpg calcs. When you refill, (to the same point) the number of gallons logged on the pump is how much fuel you used. (You're restoring -as close as possible- the fuel level to where it was when you started the journey(s)) Record the miles elapsed on the trip odo, and the number of gallons pumped. Reset the odo. Miles elapsed - (nothing to do with fuel gage or the low fuel light - just the miles shown on the trip odo) this is the distance traveled since the previous fillup, at which point you had reset the odo.

Divide miles elapsed (as explained above) by the number of gallons shown on the pump. This is average the number of miles travelled per gallon of fuel (for the travel between fillups).

Now, with the trip odo reset to zero, you're ready for the next round.

Again, do not use the fuel gage or the low fuel light in any of this. That will certainly cause you to have the greatest variation in fuel measurement, and therefore, wide errors.

Also, don't fall for the idiotic calculation method that a local (non-Toyota) "svc rep" (I apologize to all true svc reps when I lump him in under the term.) told my buddy.
    He said to fill the tank, and keep filling for 3 clicks of the fuel nozzle. Then drive to your next fillup and refill to only 1 click. Obviously, this is intended to mislead the consumer into believeing she/he had better fuel economy than reality. The firt fillup "over-fills" the tank (3 clicks). The second replaces fuel to a lower level, i.e. does not replace all the fuel burned over those miles, thereby providing a misleading number of gallons for the calculation. [Even this was not the reason why I told the svc mgr to not allow this clown to spk to me if they wanted to keep my business. That was because the guy spoke to me like I was an idiot.]
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Not sure where you are, but if in a colder region, expect mileage to drop in winter. Winter blend gasoline and cold temperature effects the truck. All trucks I've owned have been like this. I lose about 1-2 mpg vs. summer. I'm in upstate NY. Temps not bad this past week so was only down about 1 mpg, but a week of real cold drops it at least 2 mpg, sometimes more.
    Got it :shades:
  • captain_toyotacaptain_toyota Member Posts: 1
    You should be able to get 20 mpg highway.
  • vinbalzvinbalz Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a used 05 TRD doulble cab4x4 in a few days, when I started the truck it sounded a bit loud under the hood, like some valves were tapping. The guy told me its because it was cold and that is normal. Never owned a Toyota b4-is this normal.
    Cool deal. Happy trails.
    -m
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    It's normal. All new Tacos do this.

The noise goes away after some mileage is on the engine. Also changing the oil filter to a Mobil 1 M-102 will increase oil flow and make it quieter.
  • nbtrdnbtrd Member Posts: 8
    up to about 16000 km on my '05 access cab 4x4 trd with no mods. Been keeping track of MPG since it was new. I am averaging about 15mpg! (rated 19/26. Had the dealer hook it up to the computer to do some sort of diagnostic and nothing came up. I know (and I was told by the dealer) not to expect the listed values as they are in ideal conditions. He said normal was to be off by 5 or 7%, but I am off by 25% or more. I always put in plus or supreme gas and I drive mostly highway and I have a light foot.
    Can anybody help me????
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Ok first off, you need to pick a unit of measure and stick with it. I know you Canadian guys like to use imperial gallons and you seem to be confusing the EPA rating.

I'm assuming you have a V6 Auto? If you go by the US standards you are looking at 17/21 MPG with ideal conditions. So I think you need to adjust either your calculations or your expectations.

Use this conversion to be sure: 1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

Not this one: 1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 liters

You also are probably dealing with some winter blend of gas. I am going through the same thing here in the northeast US.

I have a 4x4 Access 6-speed with an EPA rating of 16/20. In the summer I was getting high 18's regularly. Best trip, all highway I got a shade over 20 mpg. Right now I'm looking at 15-16 depending on how much stop and go driving I do.

Make sure all your calculations are kosher and post again. I know it sucks but I'd stop using premium. You're wasting your money unless you tow.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    I checked out the toyota.ca site. I see where you are getting those MPG expectations from.

They use imperial gallons to do the conversion:

They have: 15.0 City/10.9 Highway Liters per 100 Km and translate that to 19/26 Miles per Imperial Gallon

Conversion in US Gallons should be:

100 KM * 1 Mile * 1 Liter
    15 Liters * 1.609 KM * 0.2642 Gallon
    = 15.683 City

100 KM * 1 Mile * 1 Liter
    10.9 Liters * 1.609 KM * 0.2642 Gallon
    = 21.582 Highway

So the question is, are you posting your MPG using US or imperial gallons?
    Miles - 400.8
    US Gallons - 17.8
    Mileage - 22.51

2005 Double cab 4x4, V6, Auto, Premium

I have about 8,000 miles on it. I have a cap on it now. I live in the Florida panhandle.

Wayne
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I'm looking at a new Taco Double cab, 2WD; do you guys run
    regular gas? I don't want a vehicle that requires premium or
    even mid-grade gas. My Dakota V8 runs great on regular.
    As you'll find in a number of strings, the 2005/2006 runs fine under most conditions on "regular" gasoline. I've burned 87 octane almost exclusively for 8900 miles.
    The timing will retune to get the most while avoiding knock regardless of octane you choose. The reference to the higher octane fuel in the literature is because it will retune due to the higher knock resistance and produce a bit more horsepower (or mpg if you don't demand everything it's got) if you use higher octane. However, I've not seen sufficient improvement in mpg to warrant the add'l cost per gallong for premium fuel.
  • toyotatomtoyotatom Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know how I can get the codes from a 95 Tacoma. There is a small black diagnosis box on top of the engine. This is a V6 4WD. Thanks if you can help.

ToyotaTom :shades:
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    This is my mileage for the first few tanks of gas:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x2 V6 Auto
    TRD Offroad Package
    Tow Package
    Canvas cover over the bed

50 mile round trip daily commute, Tampa, FL
    60/40 city/highway driving

first tank / burned premium unleaded : 20.74 MPG
    second tank / burned regular unleaded : 21.54 MPG

fasest on the highway was 70 mph at 2000 rpm.....
    no jack rabbit starts.....kept rpm's under 2000 most of the time......punched it a few times to merge or to pass grandma.....

Not bad MPG so far....if it stays the same I'm a happy camper!
  • smokey888smokey888 Member Posts: 16
    Man, after reading some of your postings I must have did something very wrong. First of all, I admit to not having paid much attention to this thus-far and I haven't calculated my MPG much at all; but I thought I calculated 13.668 MPG on the open flat road and I about freaked.

It was regular gas / IL
    I have a Taco Prerunner Acc Cab 4x2 V6, automatic
    2005 yr
    6500 miles running syn. oil (just recently).
    This run of 100 miles was mostly on cruse control but very
    flat road.

I recall the tac was around 2.

I have since looked into the size of my rear end, it appears to be (Gear Ratio) 3.727. The nice lady at Toyota very sternly told me, "any changes would be a modification and may void your warranty" -- I tried and tried to explain to her that I'm sure other size gear/ratio's are installed which only got a rerun of the above " ". Ha, Any way, I will check this mileage much closer over the next week or so and report back; but 13.668 an't to good folks. I immediately cleared all trip monitors in case I made a misstake and have about 60 miles on one now, when it gets to 100 (city driving this time) I'll check it again. Hopefully, I made some kind of error!!
  • toyowner1toyowner1 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking to buy new Prerunner Acc Cab with a 4 cyl. 5-speed. What MPG can I expect? I know it only comes with a 4:10 rear end. That must hurt the mileage. I drive mostly hwy.
    '05 Taco V6 Auto 4x2 PreRn'r GAS MILAGE
    I think it's the 4.OL engine (it is a V6)

Milage: 6500

MPG: between 13.8 & 14.8 (18 on the sticker) and a good part of this was some distance driving.

Is engine still breaking in?

Besides do the usual change air filter, keep tires correct inflation; can't I sue?

I was originally told to burn Regular, now the more expensive stuff - haven't done this yet or much of anything yet, except clean my shotguns.
  • ogre01ogre01 Member Posts: 15
    I have a '06 4.0L 4x2 DC LB PreRunner. I'm getting about 18.5 on mixed highway and city driving. Highway I cruise around 70 MPH but around town, occasionally, there are the quick accels from red lights to grab a needed lane or etc. When I did a pure highway drive, around 350 mile run, I get around 22 to 23 MPG. Able to get there with plenty left for some mixed driving before gassing up again. I do have a cab high truck topper but I got 22 even before that got put on though. My current total mileage is 3700 and all on regular.

I've read about the truck computer learning your driving style, perhaps it's been set wrong and needs a reset? Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people here will chime in to help you out.
    Engine breakin- probably, though most of the improvement should be there by now. My 2004 4 cyl improved some all the way to 9k miles, but the bulk was in the first 7500.

Lawsuit?- You can file suit for almost anything against almost anybody, but winning... that's another story. Possibly, a lawyer would have to advise you as to whether you have recourse beyond lemon laws. Even so, I think you would have to prove that the vehicle is defective or doesn't meet claims, and that the mfr and dealer were unable or unwilling to solve the problem(s).
    I don't know that your mileage (14.3 median) is so far off that an argument couldn't be made regarding driving style and conditions. Where you drive (terrain, wind, etc), the loads you carry, and how you drive make a big difference. My wife generally gets 2 to 4 mpg lower mpg than I do, depending on which vehicle and whether highway or city. (bigger difference in highway). She is not an agressive driver, but I've not been able to convince her that it is not necessary to have a foot on a pedal. She doesn't anticipate a signal turning red, or coast to a stop sign -she drives right up to it and stops. Like a lot of folks that learned to drive during the gas-crunch of the early 1970s, out of habit, I take my foot off the accelerator some distance from an intersection if I see the light is yellow or red, if I'm approaching a stop sign some distance away, or if it's a signal I'm familiar with and I see it's been green for a long time. I allow engine braking to deccelerate the vehicle, using the brakes only to assist and trigger the transmission logic that many new vehicles have. I actually accelerate more rapidly than my wife does. (In fact, accelerating too slowly can be more wastefull than moderate acceleration.) My double cab prerunner gets 17mpg in city running AC or defog most of the time. Highway I get 22/23. (towing my 1500 lb sailboat, which is a big wind drag, I get city mileage on the highway.)

I'm not saying that you drive like my wife, but I'm saying that given these differences exist, you would have to show that they aren't the reason for your numbers being lower than you expect.

If you're driving nothing but highway miles, and if you had records showing how the mileage you've achieved on other vehicles you owned have approached the EPA estimates for those vehicles, then you may have something. If you drive mostly in city or hilly terrain, carrying a lot of weight, or have a tendency to use your brakes a lot, your position is weaker.

You might check the brakes to see if they are dragging more than they should, but that's a bit of a long shot.
    (Keep in mind that disc brakes always have the pads in close proximity to the disk, and generally rub slightly.)
    Just took the V6, 4x2, automatic out on the highway yesterday. Filled up at pump #10 (which is only pump I'm using to check this, I let pump click off then that's it, each time), didn't have any elephants loaded up, my trip was 153.8 miles, most all of it is flat with only a few mediocure hills. Does have one good 1/4 mile hill and there was one flat area of 5 miles where I pushed it up to 90mp/h just to vary the rpm's a bit; but the greater majority of at least a good 130 miles was flat and at about 60mph. Also, I bumped up the grade of fuel from regualar to the next grade up for 1/4th of tank. The results:

15.25 miles per gallon (153.8 miles divided by 10.081gals) w/ 7000 miles on the engine.

This open road running, except for about 20 miles of city driving in this run, most of it in cruse-control on open road. Only three stop lights the whole time each way, (6 total). Only pushed it up once, on the way there and had it at 90 less than 30 seconds, then coasted it back down to the 60 mark.

This doesn't even meet the City Driving sticker of 18.

I don't know. I'll run this tank down to near empty and will use the highest grade of fuel next time. I'm positive my friendly salesperson said regular.
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Just curious what is the curb weight of your Taco?
  • toyowner1toyowner1 Member Posts: 8
    What kind of MPG are you getting with a 4 cyl. Prerunner, 5 spd.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    2005 TRD Off Road 4X4 4 door V6 6 speed manual. Just shy of 10K on the odometer. Have an average of right at 16. Have went as low as 13.2 (only 40 miles between fill up, so not real accurate) to highs of 18.5 and 18.8. Both highs were in the first 2 weeks I owned it, but were also the only times I have gone more than 20 miles from home. Probably safe to say that my city driving is close to 95%. I plan a trip of about 1050 each way next month, and hope to have my ScanGauge hooked up this week to monitor fuel usage during the trip. Gonna run the gammet from 60 to 90MPH (gotta love Montana) to see exactly where is best, but for the most part, if 60 is looking best, that is where I may be running due to gas prices. Well, maybe 70.... Considering the truck had under 1K on it the last time I did serious highway driving, hopefully I can beat 21 on this trip.
    "Just curious what is the curb weight of your Taco?"

With or without the elephant in the back?

:sick:
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Both.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Same truck as you, with 17k in 17 months. Low of 13.5 in dead winter -20 F temps, to several highs of 21 - 21.5 mpg on long summer trips. Overall, still about sticker of 16/20, little less in winter. Even 2 weeks back pulled 20 mpg on long mtn trip loaded with 1000 lbs of gear.

Let us know your scan gauge results. Bet your mileage is best around 55-60. it starts to drop after 65, and moreso after 70 with the higher reving 6spd.
  • nienhnienh Member Posts: 3
    Somewhat on the same topic, but I am thinking about buying a 98 tacoma 4X4 2.7 5 speed regular cab. What kind of mileage can I expect? Also this truck has 31's on it. what size tire did it come with stock. How much will the 31's affect mileage?
  • nienhnienh Member Posts: 3
    Can anybody tell me what to expect in real world numbers for mileage on a 1998 tacoma 4X4 2.7 5 speed? It is a regular cab. It also has 31's on it.