Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• tank5tank5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi:
    I'm not one to give up. The mileage sticker said 21 to 27 and I expect something reasonablely close to that or better. If not its false advertising as no one at the dealership refuted it.

My wife has a 2006 Solera Convertible and the average for her car is 27.5 mpg. She has a lead foot.

In Alabama if I drove 60 mph I would be killed in the first 30 miles.

The trucks routinely go 80 and the rich out of state tourists on their way to the Gulf Coast go 80 to 90 in their BIG suv's. They can afford the %300,00 ticket, it seems.

Slowing down is not an option. I don't go over 70.- the speed limit.

Tank5
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    If you want 27 @ 70 then you needed to buy a car not a truck.
  • ritacoritaco Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06 Tacoma, 6cyl, auto, short bed, crew cab. I just hit 5500 miles. In general, I love the truck.

In terms of MPG, my city mileage is awful. Over the winter, I was averaging around 14 MPG. My daily commute is about 10 minutes of in town driving (not city driving). I asked a toyota service tech - he said that the MPG should improve once the "summer" gas comes out. My MPG seems to be up to about 15 now - but definitely not 17.

However, I'm ok with my highway mileage. I've taken two 500 mile trips - about 99 percent highway. I get just under 20 MPG - cruising at 75 or 80 and every once in while jumping higher than that. If I drove 65, I'd probably easily get 21 or more. Maybe one day toyota will come out with a hybrid tacoma.
  • jaggy9jaggy9 Member Posts: 3
    2nd update - 21.7 MPG. 390.9 miles at 18 gallons. City driving. Can't complain about that. Love my truck!!
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Your mileage sounds encouraging. I'm thinking of buying the same set-up as yours. A 4x4 Access Cab 2.7 with the 5 speed. My primary driving will be all highway on a 100 mile per day commute. I need either an AWD vehicle like a Forester or the Tacoma, and it looks like they both get similar mileage. Please keep reporting your city and highway mpg. Do any other Tacoma owners with the 2.7 and a 5 speed drive 100 miles/day? If so how's your mpg?
    Thanks
    Rob
  • matt51matt51 Member Posts: 8
    I have been getting 23 mpg highway at about avg speed of 72-75 mph.
    I had overdrive locked out. My first Toyota, floor shift. There is a narrow slot label 3-D. If the handle is to the right of the slot, overdrive is enabled. If the shift handle is to the left of the slot, overdrive is locked out.
    The mileage I posted was for using only 3 speeds. I am getting new readings, using all 4 speeds, will post those numbers when I get them. :sick:
    Now my first highway check, 72-75 mph, with a few city miles, is 26 mpg. I will make more checks and post them. EPA is 21 city, 27 highway. I have put Mobil 5-20 synthetic in the truck, but had not noticed an improvement when I did so.

Sure helps to let the overdrive work. My fault, not the trucks.
    Thanks matt51,

26 mpg for the highway is my kind of driving--about 100 miles worth. Thanks for the posts and the updates. As far as the overdrive: I did that in my Scion XB for about 35 miles once. I accidently pushed the OD button and turned if off. Luckily I was on 2 lane roads running about 50-55. My mpg also was a bit short on that tank.
  • uncalumnusuncalumnus Member Posts: 11
    I just filled up my tank for the first time (the dealer gave me a tank when I bought). I averaged about 19.6 mpg. That was with a mix of city and highway driving. I would say about 60/40 for in town driving, though. I am pleased so far..... :)
  • kcros11kcros11 Member Posts: 2
  • kcros11kcros11 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a '99 Tacoma w/ V6 and 4X4. I'm looking to get a little better gas mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions on products that work, and ones that don't. Thanks
  • 3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    I have an 05 4x4 DC with 65,000 miles on it. I buoght it new. My average MPG is 18.8 everyday driving. Interstate only is 23.5. I have checked it every 3-6K miles at the pump, (Not on the computer in the truck) the worst mileage ever was 7.5 mpg (while pulling my boat). Best ever was 25.7 interstate only abount 320+ miles.

This truck is great for everyday mileage. If you pull or haul anything other than a weedeater, be prepared to pay dearley for fuel. I am very dissapointed in fuel economy when towing. Other than towing, MPG is great compared to full size pickups!!!
    Is your truck RWD or 4WD? Auto or manual? It looks like there some factory to dealer incentives for the 4th of July. I've seen Access cabs with the 4x4 4 cyl. 5 speed setups advertized for $20,481. This is in the Northern Virginia/DC area. Is this a good price for this truck?

I also got $750 dealer cash from a local dealer by mail today to apply to any 2007 Toyota if used by July 4th.
  • garyodsgaryods Member Posts: 7
    Pushing 100k, in town average 18.5, highway 21 (80 MPH). The best I've done was following a friend towing a big trailer (averaging about 50 MPH) 28 MPG
  • jaggy9jaggy9 Member Posts: 3
    Been busy and forgot to update the board. Finally broke the 400 mile barrier. All city driving.

3rd update - 22.2 MPG. 395.2 miles at 17.8 gallons. City driving.

4th update - 22.3 MPG. 405.5 miles at 18.2 gallons. City driving.
  • fggfgg Member Posts: 2
    Same here! I have no other complaints except my 4x4 07 Tacoma w/ automatic transmission V-6 gets bad mileage....~ 14 mpg.

I drive it a lot on the hwy and was hoping for ~ 17-18 mpg....but it's not happening. I've kept it maintained as always 3000 mile oil changes, and I burn premium gas, I'm not towing anything , so I believe 14-15 mpg is all I can hope for these days.

I'm happy w/ everything else.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    That's lousy mileage. How fast do you drive, IOW, are you heavy footed?
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    fgg

Make sure you do have it in 5th gear. The gear selector needs to be moved to the right. D for Drive. Otherwise, you are running in 4th gear. Knew somebody else who did this and was also noting the bad gas mileage.
  • fggfgg Member Posts: 2
    My mechanic tells me to let it break in a bit more, and try premium fuel 100% of the time for now.

I am driving in D not 4th. Thanks for the feedback.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Boy, you are getting the worst mileage out all the people I know who have one. Most are getting 16-18 in town and 20-22 on highway. I would think something is not right. Might just have one, for whatever reason, gets bad fuel economy. Un-Luck of the draw.
  • bushsm135bushsm135 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone who owns a 2006 or 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4X2 w/ Long Bed tell me what you are averaging gas milage wise on the highway? I am thinking about buying a Tacoma Double Cab as my primary vehicle but, I commute 50 miles one way to work and was wondering if it is even worth it. I love the truck though.
    100 x 250 = 25000/18 = 1389 x 3.00 = $4167....???? It's your $.
  • chicochipchicochip Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4X2 w/ Long Bed and averaging 20 mpg around town and 22 highway. My best is 23 mpg on the highway. This is with 87 octane fuel.
  • tc07tc07 Member Posts: 10
    Why use 93 oct???? The engine is designed to run perfectly on 87 Oct and with less carbon build up...87 burns SLOWER than 93 thus less BY-Products of combustion, ie CARBON. The computerized ignition will compensate for any differential of Octane knock by increasing or decreasing timing spark advance etc. To pay .20 + cents per gallon more for 93 is ridiculous. TRY BOTH and you will see that there is no difference in performance and MPG under NORMAL driving will be actually BETTER on 87 than 93 simply due to the CARBON factor. TRY it out friends before paying more for 93. It worked for me. I get 21 around town on 87 Octane with the 4.0 V-6 and 24-26 on the highway, depending on how mountain roads I am driving.
  • antoquinantoquin Member Posts: 1
    RE: 11.8 MPG is too low I have a 2007 4c cyl single cab 4x2 automatic Tacoma and notice that it only gives 11.8 miles/gallon on the city. Can anybody tell me if that's ok. I read all the messages you have posted and didn't find a situation like this.
  • kpri101kpri101 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 6cyl TRD prerunner for 2 months and have only put about 1200 miles on it.
    I keep the fuel tank full using about a 1/4 tank a week. Granted I do 90% city driving but 14mpg! This is a disaster. I got 16mpg city in my 6cyl F150. I am not a lead foot, infact I'm the old guy you always see doing the speed limit and no more. I like the truck in all other aspects but with rising gas prices I may have to sell it. I see a few others are reporting the same gas mileage I'm getting. Does anyone have any explanation for this?
    Yes,unfortunately, the best mileage trucks are the Tacoma 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder (I get 20 city, 26 highway), or the Ranger/Mazda 4 cylinder, which I believe does a little better. If you get a V6 Tacoma, you might as well buy Ford/GM 6 cylinder trucks.
    If you have a lot of short city trips,you are not going to get good mpg in any vehicle. Just check it when you go on a highway trip.
  • joeijoei Member Posts: 2
    I'm in a similar situation as you, I'm about to trade in my Silverado Crew Cab getting about 16 to 16.5 average mostly city for a 2.7L Taco Auto expecting to average about 20 - 22. Just want to know if you think it was worth it to downsize from the nice comfortable truck.
  • nmatzkvechnmatzkvech Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Quad Cab V6 TRD 4X4 with around 29000 miles, and have recently been getting horrible gas milage!! Since I bought the truck new the only thing I have done is put new larger tires on it. 285/75/16. Since the tire change I have been getting about 12mpg!! Yeah thats 12! I could get better milage in a dodge!! I was getting around 20.5 before the change. Does anyone think that tires make that much of a difference or could it be something else?? THANKS
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Check your odometer with GPS on a long trip and you will likely find it is substantially off. I put 265/75R16's in place of the stock 265/70R16's and measured a 6.5% change. I have to multiply mileage on the odometer by 1.065 to get an accurate measurement of the distance I've travelled. You can also get an idea using one of the many tire circumference calculators that are out there.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I was looking to see what you guys were getting at the pump. I was thinking the Tacoma may have the answer. I have a GMC Safari that can't get past 18mpg no matter what. I just drove a 320 mile all highway trip that I set the cruise control at 70mph (the posted speed) and I turned 17.4mpg. A guy who works with me has a Honda Odyssey and he gets high teens all the time (apparently low for those). Yet, our safety vendor has a 07 Tahoe and he routinely gets 20-22 on the highway. I'm an agressive driver and maybe he's not?? Makes me crazy though as I love his Tahoe compared to my van. Seems like it happens to you guys too. Are you guys in the 20mpg club easy going or is it just one of those things?
  • jameekjameek Member Posts: 2
  • jameekjameek Member Posts: 2
    2005 Taco base model w/air 2.7L 5 speed MT 8600 miles. XOM regular fuel.
    City 20-21 mpg. No load. Short shift. 1250 rpm-2200 rpm is no hardship for errands in Houston. Passenger rarely. AC typical. Late braking rare. Tire pressure 29 front/32 rear.

Highway 28 mpg easy. No load. No passenger. AC 50/50. 55-65-mph steady. Head wind/tailwind unknown. Tire pressure 31 front /34 rear.

Highway w/460 lb. motorcycle and gear in bed. Maybe passenger. 55-65 mph. Tire pressure 31 front/34 rear. AC typical. 25-27 mpg. Headwind /tailwind unknown.

Highway w/460 lb. motorcycle and gear in bed. 460 lb. motorcycle and trailer towed. Passenger. 55-60 mph Tire pressure 30 front/33 rear. AC. 20-22 MPG. Headwind /tailwind unknown.

Stupid easy ownership. I think girlfriend prefers to be seen and to ride in her Lexus. I can dig it.
    base model, standard cab. Ride without load is considerably harsher than my 2006 GMC Sierra. 25 mpg highway at 70 mph, no cruise.
  • sacsmittysacsmitty Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 RWD Tundra CrewMax with the iForce 5.7L V8. I love the truck but with the rising gas prices I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. I am considering trading it in for a V6 Tacoma DC.

My around town mileage is 12-13, 18-19 highway. From reading this thread it doesn't look like I'll be gaining anything.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
  • parker65parker65 Member Posts: 1
    I Just purchased a 2001 Tacoma 2.4l. auto. I am not happy with the mpg. Is 15 to 17 in town normal? If not what can I do to increase the mpg? Thanks for any help.
    Unfortunately, no V6 gasoline truck is going to do a whole lot better. Only Ford Ranger or Tacoma 4 cylinder offer much improvement. Even they do not do nearly as well as a car like a Honda Civic.
  • suv4betsysuv4betsy Member Posts: 38
    I own a -
    2004 Tacoma
    V6 3.4L
    Automatic
    DoubleCab
    34,000 miles
    Prerunner
    Washington (Seattle)
    87 Octane
    (stock - no canopy, no bed cover)

I'm consistently getting 19.5 MPG mostly city driving. I just had the 30K factory service at dealer with this MPG. I had the belts replaced as a whinning noise developed, at my first report the dealer didn't hear the noise, but I said it was louder when the vehicle was cold so they kept it overnight outside in the freezing weather and they heard it, replaced the belts and now it is quiet again, now if I could only get the annoying dash rattles out :confuse: Overall I'm very happy with this vehicle.

I saw an old posting where a similar truck was getting about 22.5 MPG with high performance spark plugs, oil, and air filter change. At today's gas price of $3.50 gal, based on my annual miles 3+ mpg would save me $250 in gas. Is this realistic improvement? What have you tried and what was the improvement? The high cost of gas now makes the most marginal of MPG improvements attractive in savings. The gas prices are busting the family budget, I'm checking the tire pressure on the Schwinn in the garage ;)
  • xraymikeyxraymikey Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a trd prerunner with a 3inch lift. it is a 08 came with the stock 265/70R16's and i was wanting to upgrade to 265/75R16's . i know it is a 6.5% change in tire diameter. what kind of gas mileage are you getting thank you!
    u can email me @ michaelblue85@hotmail.com if u want or here thank u!
  • siracsirac Member Posts: 1
    buy iridiun spark plug 50 psi good year tire k&n air filter synthetic oil for motor
    trassmision and axcel
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I drive a 2001 Dakota Quad cab 4.7V8 and get 16.5mpg in town and 19 on the road.
    I'm thinking about a new Tocoma V6 double cab, but still like my Dakota.
    I would also go for a new V6 Dakota now.
    The killer would having to run Premium in a V6 Tacoma?
    What MPGs are you getting?
  • patssfanpatssfan Member Posts: 1
    I run AmsOil (being a distributor and all). This oil is the most efficient and easiest on the engine wear due to the way it is formulated. The synthetic transmission and axle lube changes might help. I've got 2006 4WD V6 Double and just hit 25K. I just added an ARE cap. I've found that my highway mpg, the sweetspot is 65-70, with a steadyyy foot. A good tale-wind will be kind also. The best I've seen on a full tank is 325mi. I think it works out to 18 or 18.5 mpg I'm like most here as I love the truck but bought it when gas was $2, it's making me also wonder if I made a mistake. I've been told that one reason for the crummy mileage is because of the 4WD trans. I suspect the Prerunners are getting better mileage.

It would be so sweet if Toyota could develop a hybird direct drop-in motor. I would buy it.

P.
  • sstevensonsstevenson Member Posts: 2
    ABOUT TO PURCHASE A NEW TRUCK. DOES ANYONE KNOW THEIR HIGHWAY MILEAGE FOR THE 4X4 2.7 5 SPD EXTENDED CAB? 05 TO 08. THANK YOU.
  • sstevensonsstevenson Member Posts: 2
    DO YOU KNOW YOUR HIGHWAY MILEAGE. THINKING ABOUT BUYING A TRUCK LIKE YOURS. THE CITY MILEAGE IS GOOD. WONDERING IF THE HIGHWAY MILEAGE IS EVEN BETTER? LOVE THIS TRUCK!
  • titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    After being a True Blue loyal ford owner for all of my life I just bought a 08 Tacoma prerunner 4.0 V6 2wd double cab. I use it mainly to drive 12 mi. one way to work all city stop and go driving. In the mornings 5:30 a.m I set the cruise at about 45mph about 1300 r.p.m. and I have about 500 mi. on the truck. I have been running the a.c about 3/4 of the time & pretty much been babying this thing to what it will do on gas. It has only been to the floor a couple of times. I have filled it up twice after getting down to half a tank. Overall I am satisfied, my old f-150 5.4 got 13.5 m.p.g. absolutely babying it without running the air.

16.68 m.p.g.
    16.33 m.p.g.

Keith :)
    I purchased my Taco in August 07 and am very satisfied to say the least it is the best all around pick up I have ever owned...I have had a 65 chev, 77 chev, 86 Found On Road Dead (FORD F-150), 90 Silverado, 96 Silverado and 01 S-10 that was souped up....NONE beat the TACO for performance and AVG Overall MPG. I got back from a 600+ mile round trip last night and averaged 22.4 MPG both city and highway driving through mountain with a 1,500 lbs load of Lumber. I have the TRD Pre Runner Off Road 2WD with 4.0 engine, 5 speed Auto. Driving short trips here I get 19.5 to 20, depending on the brnd of Gas and 21 to 23 on the road. The best I get is constant driving at 65-70 MPH ... I usually drive the back roads if I can and will get in excess of 25 MPG if I follow the 65-70 rule. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 oil and like Texaco or Chevron Gas the best.
    I have 22,211 miles on it and am delighted with the Taco (The FIRST "foreign Auto I have owned) It is made in Ca and has modtly USA Parts.
    The ONLY thing I do not "like" is the BF Goodrich Tires. They are more than half worn out and will probably get around 40K on them...I am used to 80K PLUS on OEM Tires. I will look for TOYO or Uniroyal tires when I replace.
  • cwbykishicwbykishi Member Posts: 3
    Hey all I was wondering if everyone that has the new toyota tacoma 4x4 4.0 double cab could post their real world miles per gallon. What kind of gas they use as well. premium or regular etc. I'm looking into buying one...but the gas mileage is kinda pushing me away from it.

Thanks !!
    As above, I use 87 octane, try to use Texaco or Chevron but use a lot of Shell too. Rarely ever use "Off Brands" as they do not have the cleaning additives that the name brands do and in my exp. are not as good in MPG either.
    My advice to anyone looking to puirchase a Truck is to get the Tacoma over the Tundra due to the MPG and it is one sweet truck! More power than GM's 4.3L more MPG too, better than anything FORD has even dreamed about junking off on the people, certinly better all around than any Chrysler product. I would advise you to get the 4 cyl engine of you are really that concerned with MPG over the 4.0.
    The 4.0 Tacoma I have is the best in power, MPG and performance than any other P/U I have ever had. I've owned several...1965 Chev 250 I-6,
    1977 Chev 305 V-8,
    1986 piece of JUNK Ford with 300 I-6 (only 12 MPG on road and 10 in town HA! on a very good day at best)
    1990 Silverado with 305 V-8
    1986 DODGE RAM 100 with 318 V-8
    1996 Silverado with 305 V-8
    2001 Chev S-10 with the 4.3 V-6
    2004 GMC Envoy with 4.2 I-^ Double OH Cam & Valves (still own it)
    and now the 2007 Taco.
    Hope this helps.
  • wiseone2wiseone2 Member Posts: 15
    I read an article regarding the Tacos BF Goodrich tires, they have a low rolling
    resistance, hence, you get better MPG, compared to other brands.
    Around town, I get 19-20 mpg, on 87 octane.