Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• mrestivomrestivo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Toyta Tacoma 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder, automatic that is getting 16.5 mpg city, and 20.5 mpg highway @ 65 mph. It has 6600 miles. I checked the computer and it was found to be running fine. The rear gear is 3.58 like it is supposed to be. The truck is supposed to get 21 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Does anyone know why the mpg's are so low? Thank you for your input.
  • tc07tc07 Member Posts: 10
    It could be any number of thingss IMO....are you driving the double cab, access cab or single cab? Are you driving in OD? what Tranny do you have? 5 or 6 speed? I have not owned a 4 cyl in a Taco or larger truck so I really don't know what to expect. I do know that in my 07 Double Cab V-6 5 spd auto it gets excellent mileage (It weighs nearly 5,500 lbs w/o any luggage) so you re looking at nearly 3 tons of weight with no load on it. If you are driving below 40 mph a lot the tranny will not go into OD and you are reving the enige like you are running 65 on the road (taking more gas and not going as far)...I TRY to start off at a moderate pace, not "Charging" from light to light for example...then try to get it into OD asap and in town, watch ahead for the lights and slow down way before I get right on a light....this may not make much sense but it works for me.
    On the highway or interstaes, I try to keep in below 75 MPH or 2,200 RPM in OD. Off the intersate I try to run at 55-60 and not use cruise so it does not sown shift on hills. I live in the mountains ...
    As far as BF Goodrich tires...The Rugged Trails on mine are NOT low rolling resistant. I think when I get new tires and go with a highway ribb type tead it my increase the MPG....I DO NOT LIKE the Rugged Trails on mine...they are too soft and won't get the mileage I am used to...I'll be lucky to get 40K on these tires. I do about 50% highwy driving so I am dissapointed in these tires. The ride and handling is good but the tire is to soft for highway driving, resulting in less mileage. I run the MAX tire pressure on these too. That can affect your MPG as well. an underinflated tire will use 10% more fuel than a properly inflated one.
    OK Hope this helps...
  • mrestivomrestivo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. I have a Toyota single cab, with Firestone tires: 21570R15 and I keep the tires at 44psi. It is automatic and has 3 speeds and overdrive.Yes, I drive in overdrive. It has minimal weight and it is the smallest truck Toyoyta base unit that Toyota makes. (Not pre-runner, not 4x4 etc.)
  • carey4carey4 Member Posts: 1
    I get OVER 35 m.p.g. in my 1999 Toyota Tacoma!highway of course. Thats on my weekly commute to Los Angeles from Riverside County (about 150 miles round trip). I've tested it about a dozen times.

Car stats: Extended Cab. Automatic Trans.

Note: To get the high mileage I just have to slow down to 60 m.p.h. and drive at a steady pace. No fast starts or stops. It makes my trip about 5 minutes longer. At 65-70 mph I get about 28 m.p.g. highway.

If anybody does better I'd like to know, and how.
  • cwbykishicwbykishi Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the response but what kind of mileage are u getting though? i dont want a 4 cylinder because the trd package does not come with a 4 cylinder. im looking at other trucks like the dodge dakota and the colorado and canyon and frontier as well but i like the looks of the tacoma the best
  • gruntgrunt Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 V6 double cab, auto, TRD off road. I have owned it for the past 3 weeks. My first tank of gas, I got 16.75 miles to the gallon(mixture of city and highway driving). The second tank of gas I got 18.91 to the tank(1/3 city driving and 2/3 highway). I am putting 87 octane in the gas tank. When driving on the highway I am setting the cruise control at 65mph.
  • wadehicksjrwadehicksjr Member Posts: 3
    I have a '05 Tacoma TRD Sport crew cab long bed 4.0L. I made 2 trips from Florida to Canada the first in 2006 . I noted my fuel consumption at every fuel stop. On the Interstate I avg. 17.1 MPG @ 80 MPH, 18.3 MPG @ 70 MPH and 20.9 MPG @ 65 MPH. I had approx. 3000 miles at the start. The Second trip in 2007 I changed out the stock intake for a fujita F5 comp. air intake. MPG was roughly the same as the first trip. Later in 2007 I got stuck in the mud crossing the median on I - 10 responding to a Fire/Hazmat call. I had to get a fire truck to pull me out. 4X4 is almost useless with the stock tires in the mud. So I added buckshot mud tires 285 / 75 R17. HUGE MISTAKE. ( the largest you can fit without a lift kit ) Over a measured mile my ODO showed only 0.9 which I figured would happen. I knew I would get a decrease in MPG but I didn't think it would go down to 15 MPG @ 70. I have to slow to 62 MPH to get peak Fuel Economy. ( 65.5 MPH by GPS ) I believe I can better the MPG with a tonneau cover. I plan on replacing the Mud tires with the lowest rolling restiance tires I can find. Any recommendations?
  • tc07tc07 Member Posts: 10
    I'd get rid of the mudders nd go with a M&S Tread....you've lost over 20% in MPG due to the mudders lone. A tonneau cover will not make any improvement in MPG according to research I've seen...the truck is designed to optimum MPG with the bed open and tailgate closed. This creates a positive draft. On Hwy I personally try to stay below 70...and if possible draft behind (Safely) an 18 wheeler pulling a van trailer...That increases my MPG by 12% over 100 miles. I can't draft if I am in high traffic or hilly terrain and get much benefit.
    My 07 2WD off road TRD Pre-Runner with 4.0L double cab normally gets 20-21 hwy and 19-20 around home...as of late I have seen a 15% decrease in MPG....I found out that Texco locally is adding over 10% Methanol to the 87 octane gas...so far Shell is not doing that here but I suspect all the majors will be before long, if they can get away with it....using shell I still get the 20-21 Hwy and 19-20 around home....not bad for almost 6,000 lbs of Truck and it sets as high off the ground as a 4WD....
    I have BF Goodrich OEM's now but next year will put a highway rib type tire on...maybe a Continental Conti Trac tire and should improve MPG a little more as The BFG's add some drag. Good Luck!
  • meconemecone Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4 door. All I can say is that I am very disappointed with the milage I get. 14 MPG's on its best days. My brothers Ford 150 gets better. There has to be something wrong.

I have now about 40,000 miles and nothing has changed from day one. I am thinking of selling it for just this reason. I love the truck otherwise but bad gas milage for a 6 banger. I had a Plymouth Voyager van with a 6 banger that got close to 30 MPGs. With the Toyota, I can literly watch the gas gauge go down from stop to stop!!!

What gives???? Any help out there

I can be contacted at 310-227-6860 or email at mecone@aol.com

Thanks
    Martin<a href="
  • meconemecone Member Posts: 2
    Whats your email or phone number?
    I get 14 MPGs with my 2x4 Toy Tac TRD
    May have a cure
    Martin 310-227-6860
    email: mecone@aol.com
  • carver48carver48 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 reg cab , 2wd , 4cyl , automatic with 3,025 miles on it and i'm getting on the freeway to work 24 miles to 25 miles per gal. Its 20 miles each way. I run it tell the fuel light comes on and the divide by the gals. Usually run between 60 -65 miles per hr , when the traffic permits.
  • dorifutodorifuto Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2006 2X4 tacoma access cab 2.7L, I averaged about 400 miles to the tank, about 21 mpg, but my demand for power add off road made the mpg number not as high as they could be, so I just purchased 2009 tacoma 4.0L V6 5 speed auto double cab. First tank 20.8 mpg, second tank the same, but I drove 60 miles on mountain road, so I think things are getting better as it's loosing up.
  • nicoarg_00nicoarg_00 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a Taco 4x4 v6. extended cab. I'm leaning for a 6 speed manual, does the manual make for better gas mileage?
  • fastfreddyfastfreddy Member Posts: 3
    I saw a glossy at a dealership that posted 2 sets of ranges for a 4WD 4 cylinder Tacoma. The set in large type said 17/22. In smaller type below it said 20/26. While there was no clear explanation in the brochure, the dealer maintained the 20/26 range was what I could expect if I were operating the truck in 2WD mode. This goes against my common sense and past experience with other 4WD trucks. I expect that milleage is compromised even if 4WD is not engaged - there is additional weight and additional internal and external friction. But maybe Toyota has worked a miracle here. Can people with a 4 cylinder 4WD please chime in - what milleage range do you see when in 2WD and what is it in 4WD? Thanks!
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    My first 5 tanks;
    21, 19.5, 20.5, 20.5 and 20 mpg. Mostly driving back and forth to work, no long trips yet.
    Mick
  • wadehicksjrwadehicksjr Member Posts: 3
    Well I added a soft tonneau and 70k mile hwy tires Continental Cross contact. I also had the front wheel bearings changed due to signs of wear. ( off roading ) Now after 3 tanks I get 20.25 mpg avg. If i could find a Gas Station that sold Gas that was not Enriched ( watered down) with ethonol. I might see 22 MPG avg. I am also building an HHO cell with an EEFE ( a computer to adjust the O2 sensor readings) and PWM (it makes the conversion of HHO more effecient). A guy on youtube has an '06 prerunner with the 4.0l and has seen a 18% increase in millage with the system running. Anyone else messing with HHO? here is a website to check out HHO http://alt-nrg.org/index.html
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I just checked my gas mileage and I know its not real accurate to check 1 tank but so far it looks good 19.8 driving mixed city / highway
    4th tank = 20.6 MPG
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    4x4? PreRunner? 4 or 6? Manual or automatic?
    6th tank dropped to 19.8 MPG (using AC now)
  • gfunctiongfunction Member Posts: 1
    I'm also interested in this...

Do Taco's (and other trucks) get 2WD-like gas mileage when they are operating in 2wd mode?
    now have 2000 miles, drove on Highway A/C + 75MPH got 21.0 MPG could not be happier with this truck. (2 wheel drive TRD prerunner Double cab)
    Sorry it is a Prerunner 2 wheel drive TRD 4.0 V6 Auto Double cab
  • tc99tc99 Member Posts: 1
    I now know that this is a problem but nevertheless I am guilty, I have been topping off my truck (Toyota Tacoma reg cab, automatic trans) and managing to get 23+ gals in an empty tank. After doing this the first time I noticed that I could drive 500 miles (21.7 MPG) between fuel stops. Being that I drive a lot and hate to stop at the gas station I began to make it a regular practice. This became an issue with the fleet manager so I cut back to 21 gals and about 460 miles between stops.

My questions are,
    How much gas can you get in the same vehicle?
    What is the vapor recovery capacity that this extra gas is going into?
  • onoffroadonoffroad Member Posts: 17
    Best Motor was the 2.7 4cy. ! But not enought h,p. for the newer tacoma ! My Son and I have loved toyota trucks (He's a six cy.man and standar shift)! His 02 ext.cab 17 to19 mpg (4wd)! My 98 4wd ext.cab 5 speed got between 17 to 21 and I didn't baby it ! Got 09 Frontier crew cab SE 4wd 6 auto ! Got 21.5 mpg first fill-up ! Break in 60,65,70,73 ! Now drive 65,Int.75mph ! AC on ! Best 22.6 mpg ! Avg. 20 mpg city/hwy ! Better ride ,more horses,tran.,mpg than 4cy. tacoma !!!
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    Seems to me that the Toyota should put the new 2.7L/6spd auto from the Highlander into the Taco. Not only does the engine have 30 more horses, it also would likely increase the EPA mpg ratings to 21/28 from 19/25. The Highlander gets 20/27 mpg while weighing 3850 pounds. The Taco 4x2 access cab weighs 3590.

A two liter diesel getting 140hp and 230 ft/lbs would likely push the Taco to 25/35 mpg. It would make a nice little stump puller too.

This is all fantasy of course. I guess its back to the real world. :(
  • cpboy99cpboy99 Member Posts: 8
    I've had this truck for over two years now, it was totaled on Friday. But I wanted to post this for future Taco buyers/ After the first few tanks of gas, I realized that I was always getting over 20 mpg. After that, I stopped calculating. When getting gas I just multiplied by 2 to make sure I was over 20 mpg and moved on. So I'm getting 20-22 mpg average city & highway for my first 30k miles.

Great truck, debating getting the same one as a replacement. Or going to the Access Cab 2.7L for a little more fuel savings. My guess is if my driving habits kept me on the high end for the Dbl Cab V6, then on the Access Cab base, I'll be in the 26-27mpg. Hopefully... comments?
  • I'm on Toyota pickup #8... had several variations, 4 and V6, 2WD 4WD, Prerunner, manual automatic, etc. This one is a 2007 2.7 5 speed Prerunner Access Cab. Best I've gotten is 25.9, worst I've gotten is 19.2. Best mileage is highway driving under 2500 RPM. Typical highway mileage is 23-25, but if I run over 80 it drops to 21. It needs a 6th gear to get better mileage at high speed. Over 2500 RPM it starts sucking it big time, though it has PLENTY of power. I think a 2.7 with a 5 speed automatic would get the best, but Toyota is clueless and could care less about gas mileage. They don't offer an automatic with a 4 cylinder in the Prerunner PERIOD, though the last series of Prerunners were ALL AUTOMATIC... go figure.

The only pickup I've had that got better mileage was my 99 2.4 5 speed (not a Prerunner) which I got 28 highway with once. I think there's a penalty in aerodynamics with the Prerunner because it sits higher off the ground. I'd love to have a new Prerunner Access Cab with a 4.0 5 speed automatic and a scangauge to play with for awhile to see how good I could get out of the new V6 auto combination. I never got better than 22.5 out of the 3.4 4 speed auto Prerunner.

I'm with avalon02wh in msg #338. If Toyota engineers just swapped a few parts around, they could make MUCH BETTER PRODUCTS... and bring us the diesel from the HiLux that they build in the rest of the world. And if they built one the size of my 1986 Xtracab, I'd be even happier !!!

Amazing how many times I've whined to Toyota and GM about the stupid products they build... and all I ever get back is "We're sorry you don't like our product." So let them lose money and go bankrupt... why should I care?
  • gas_guslergas_gusler Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 Tacoma 4x4 with 33 on the 16 in rims, K&N filter, a full Borla Exhaust system, upgraded front rotors and a 2 in lift, now i'm getting about 15 miles to gallon ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO IMPROVE IT, total miles 62,000

Thanks
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Removing your lift will improve your mileage somewhat.
    Well I have 5000 miles on it now and averaging 21 MPG. I can run it around town or on a long trip and get about 21 MPG kind of weird that it does not do better on long trips but I am not complaining and plan on keeping this thing a long time.
  • usedcar3usedcar3 Member Posts: 5
    I am thanking to all repliers for Re: Toyota gas mileage [simonkenton2] this topic I am interested in this topic.
  • maxwellhammermaxwellhammer Member Posts: 1
    in mtns of VA. getting 22-23 mixed (not much heavy traffic) and a best of 25.5 hiway. 68K miles. I've ordered a bed tonneau cover and expect it to add maybe 2 mpg. Sites say 10%, but that's pretty generic and general.
  • Well I hate to say this... but most of gas mileage is about aerodynamics... and weight... and friction.

Ever notice that a Prius has little skinny tires and it isn't jacked up 3' in the air? It's called "less rolling resistance" and aerodynamics. Been there, done that. Big tires cost me 2 MPG. K&N and Flowmasters cost me torque, and no improvement in MPG. Jacking it up changes the aerodynamics so that 60 MPH is now like trying to move through the wind at 90 MPH.

But it sure looks cool :shades:
  • I keep hoping someone will have hooked up a Scan Gauge to their Tacoma, so they can post results of what kind of driving behavior gets the best gas mileage on the 2.7 and 4.0 engines.

I just drove a new Honda Fit the other day, which has a fuel economy gauge on the dash right in front of the driver. I think EVERY car sold in the US should be required to have one !!!
  • peteapetea Member Posts: 8
    I have an '08 Base Cab 4WD w/30,000 miles. Consistently get 23 mpg in 2WD w/mix of drivng about 50% Hwy and 50% sibirban/city driving. Very rarely have it in 4WD (other than to keep the hubs lubed per the owners manual). Best I've gotten on long trip is about 25mpg, but that is driving at 65-75 mph.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    2009 DBL-Cab, long bed. Just turned 20K miles. MPG 20-22 city/highway.
    Very pleased with results. Great truck. The bed cover didn't change MPG.
    TSB installed to cover load/handling. (new shocks and 4 rear springs).
    Mick
  • kickingtireskickingtires Member Posts: 1
    I'm kicking tires on the new Tacomas to decide on my next Toyota. I really like my current Rav4 and am spoiled by its 25 mpg but my needs have changed and I'm ready to get back into a Toyota truck.

I was just going to go with what I had in the past; a base 4cyl. As I checked out the specs I noticed the base 4cyl Prerunner is about the same money. The EPA MPG estimates CLAIM to be the same for both of these 2wd models but I'm not convinced.

Even if you don't take the higher resistance caused by the larger mud and snow tires or by the higher profile of the Prerunner into account, I can't see how the Prerunner could even come close to the regular Base 2wd for MPG.

According to 2 different published sources, the gear ratios inside the 5sp manual tranny are the same for both models. The only published difference being the Base 2wd has a 3.307 rear diff and the Prerunner has the 4.10 rear.

I ran calculations for the 2 different rear diff ratios ( taking into account the difference in tire diameters) and I show that the Prerunner mill will turn approx. 200 rpm higher at (my) average highway speeds.

Am I missing something? Did EPA miss something? Did Toyota find a loophole in reporting MPG specs for the Prerunner?

As I said, I'm really spoiled by the 25 mpg I'm getting with the Rav4. When I priced the 2 models equipped as I want, there is almost no difference in price. The Prerunner comes equiped with options that I already want on the Base model and the extra payload capacity of the Prerunner sounds good for when I haul camping gear.

Like most people I want to have my cake and eat it too but am not wanting to have a rude awakening if the MPG for the Prerunner in reality is significantly lower than advertised. I'm on a very fixed income and the MPG makes a big difference in my daily driving.

I am a very conservative driver and am willing consider changing tires on a Prerunner to a compound that would improve highway mileage.

So... I'm turning to you in hopes of getting some real world numbers for a Regular Cab - 4cyl - 5sd - Prerunner.
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Ring and pinion ratio will have a dramatic effect on MPG with all other variables being as close to equal as possible ( driving habit, engine size, trans. type and internal ratios, vehicle weight, modifications).
    A shorter (numerically larger) ratio will increase mechanical advantage-increase low speed torque, but will cause the engine to rev at a higher RPM while cruising. A taller (numerically smaller) ratio will decrease mechanical advantage-decrease low speed torque, but will cause the engine to rev at a lower RPM while cruising.
    This can easily be demonstrated on a bicycle with multiple speeds/gears. Put the chain on the largest gear on the cassette on the rear wheel and on the smallest gear on the crankset. The result is all torque, no speed. You, as the engine, won't have to apply much force to get rolling, but will have to pedal at high rate to maintain any speed. Conversely. Put the chain on the smallest gear on the cassette on the rear wheel and on the largest gear on the crankset. The result is no torque,all speed. You, as the engine, will have to apply tremendous force just to get rolling. But once rolling, you can pedal at a slower rate.
    Changing tires will affect MPG to a degree. A taller tire will help to make the R&P ratio seem taller, slowing RPMs. But as tires increase in height, they also increase in width which will lower fuel efficiency. The contact patch will be larger creating more rolling resistance. Also a larger tire is heavier and more expensive. Additionally, the more aggressive the tread pattern, the more rolling resistance, noise, vibration present.
    Will the money saved on fuel offset the cost of five new tires(spare must be same size)?
    If you drive in more stop&go traffic, the taller ratio will require more throttle to get up to speed, decreasing MPG. If you drive on the highway, the higher engine RPM will decrease your MPG.
    I've tried to find the magic bullet for the same issues with my Jeep and have just given up. The Jeep fills the bill for me in terms of wants/needs, so I just accept it.
    Hope this helps.
  • gmagellisgmagellis Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one in Sept 09...have the exact same problem..hate the truck just because of the MPG...Did you figure out what your problem was?
    Thanks for the info.
    Greg
  • bigdave5bigdave5 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner V-6 SR5 with the TRD package and off road wheels. The first two tanks of gas averaged nearly an even 20 mpg. I am very pleased and impressed by this. It helps to have an easy foot, too. It is the PERFECT truck for me. I lov emy Taco'.
    Dave: I have an 08 Tacoma Pre-Runner V-6 SR5 with the TRD package and average 21mpg in the summer and 19mpg in the winter. I don't think there is another truck out there that has the capabilities of this truck and get this good of gas mileage.
  • crowwaycrowway Member Posts: 1
    Kickingtires,

I'm interested in finding out whether you went ahead with a purchase of a 4cyl 5spd Prerunner. If so, what type of MPG have you been experiencing? I've been thinking along the same lines, as I'm looking for a daily driver for commuting and wonder about the MPG of this model. Don't need 4wd for this application as I have another truck that meets that need. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • gypratgyprat Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I average 22 MPG 80% - highway, 20% city driving. It gets 23MPG at moderate freeway speeds. Don't know how they managed to get 26MPG that was posted on the sales sticker. My 98 Grand Cherokee averages 20-21 MPG going the same route. But the Jeep has 6 cyl engine and it's 4X4. And the Jeep's speedometer/odometer is right in the money. Toyota's speedometer shows 75MPH when the real speed is 67MPH. I'll need to check the odometer accuracy with a GPS. There is a good chance the odometer shows more males than actualy driven. In that case the actual MPG is even worse than what I posted above. All japaneese vehicles I owned did that. BTW, there is an action law suit against Kawasaki for cheating with Odometer accuracy.
    I already had more problems with my new Toyota then with my12 year old, 200,000 mile Jeep. It seems nobody makes quality vehicles anymore.
  • cmnolessrcmnolessr Member Posts: 1
    I just drove my truck from rome ga. to college station tx. the average, yes AVERAGE is 28 mpg. hwy. is that normal? i wouldnt think so. lucky me huh?
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I am looking at new tacomas and saw that the EPA rating for an auto 4x4 is listed at 2mpg better in both city & hiway than the manual. Can this really be the experience of owners?
  • dwarfl0rddwarfl0rd Member Posts: 12
    I dont have first hand knowledge of the Tacomas, but for several other vehicles and makes, the autos are now getting better mpg than the manuals. This is mostly due for 2 reasons. First of which is most of the newer auto trannys are now coming out in 5, 6, and 7 speeds, whereas in the old days, you would mostly see 3 or 4 speeds in the autos. This allows for better fuel efficiency. The other factor is that the algorithms used in the auto trannys are so optimized, the shift points are set to get you optimal fuel economy, or optimal performance (depending on how you are driving at the time). In my case I have had both a '00 and '09 corvette with automatics. The '00 would never do better than 28mpg on the hwy, while in my '09 I've been able to sustain 33.7mpgs on long trips. The '00 vette only had a 4 spd transmission and the '09 has a 6speed auto. Also, at least for the later model vettes, the auto also gets better fuel economy than the manuals, just like you see here with the tacos. So based on my experience, I believe the autos on the tacos can have better fuel economy than the manuals.
  • jjf1954jjf1954 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new 2010 two wheel drive, 2.7L four cylinder, four speed automatic, Access Cab back in July 2010. I immediately put a new fiberglass Leer canopy on it (Model 122 with the higher rear end). Other than this, there have been no modifications. I always use Chevron regular gas, as well as Mobil 1 syn. oil. Around town I consistently average approximately 24 mpg. Driving on US Highway 101 (Oregon coast) at 60 mph (70% flat road, 30% rolling to moderate hills) I consistently average 28.5 mpg. It should be noted that I am a conservative driver and I am certain this contributes to the excellent fuel economy I achieve. I wanted this pickup to simply haul cumbersome items (not extremely heavy items or towing) and it has proven perfect for this. It rides beautifully. It is extremely quiet. Incredibly comfortable for short or long trips. Has all the power I need. And, as I said, the fuel economy is outstanding for a pickup of this size. One note was that I found the back seats in the Access Cab to be inadequate (except for seating very small children). I removed the headrests as well as the lower seat cushions. Now the area behind the rear seats is far more useable (more space, and funtional). If you will not be transporting (small) people in the Access Cab area, than I would highly recommend you remove the head rests and seats. This pickup has been simply a pleasure to own and operate. My wife loves driving it more than our 2010 Prius (which we average approximately 52.5 mpg).

Joseph
  • leen416leen416 Member Posts: 1
    After it broke in, about 8000 miles winter highway 26 mpg. city 20mpg. Summer highway 28.5, city 22 mpg. Use 87 octane with no ethanol, the ethanol kills the mileage by 25%. Best i ever got was on a trip up north to the selway river from southern Idaho, 30 mpg with the bed level full with a lot of weight, Some freeway but mostly thru mountain terrain at 60 mph. I don't do much city driving, mostly combined. Towed a trailer with dirt bikes and camping gear up into the central mountains of Idaho with the ac on and still got over 20 mpg. Great little truck with sufficient power and comfort.

Thinking about trading for Dbl Cab V6 4wd with auto trans. long box. What kind of fuel mileage is everyone getting.
  • dwarfl0rddwarfl0rd Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    I bought this in Feb of '11 and have less than 2000 miles on it. Around town and urban driving I get about 19 mpg on winter blend. Keep in mind the car is not broken in yet. I just took a 150 mile trip today and got 25.8mpg. My speed was from 55 to 70, but mostly around 60-63mph. I also have a trifold tonneau cover. I thought that would actually hurt my fuel economy. Earlier, I made a trip averaging 75-80mph and fuel economy was closer to 19-20 for that drive. The lowest I got was 18.3 around town on winter fuel. I'm VERY happy with the car and the fuel economy. Its as big as a suburban in length, but gets nice fuel efficiency. Also, we have a Sienna that gets 20-22 around town and 29-31 on the hwy, depending on speeds. Toyota makes a nice reliable car.
    I hope once the Tacoma is broken in, I'll get some better fuel economy, though I doubt it based on the #s I get already.