Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier Performance

Comments

• rakxzmarinerakxzmarine Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 2.2L Cav about 2 months ago, used. I want to start modding it, but don't know where I should start first. What do you think?

I'm also wondering what a good price for air intake is and what kind I should buy.

Sorry if these questions are already answered, but I don't have much time to sift through everything! :D

Thanks- Jacob :D
  • track1track1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, is my first post in this forum. I am fixing a Z24 (96), 2.4 lts. DOHC, 12.5:1 pistons, Secret cams ,aluminium flywheel, steel headers, AEM pulley kits, and some other things. Well, i want to buy a 4.30 RING AND PINION because the track is very short but when search for it in the web i find many places offers RING AND PINION for many GM applications but they dont offers by model (Cavalier), they offers by number of bolts or size, example: GM 8.5 10 Bolt Ring and Pinion , ¿Do you know the number of bolts the Cavalier have? or better ¿Anybody know where i buy the 4.30 RING AND PINION?
    Thanks for your help, and sorry my english
  • syntarsyntar Member Posts: 2
    To my knowledge you cant change the final drive ratio in this car they dont have ring and pinions. When they say 8.5 10 bolt they are referring to a rear out of rear wheel drive vehicle. Sort of like a turbo 350 is a transmission a 10 bolt is a rear end.
  • syntarsyntar Member Posts: 2
    Here try this link
    link title
    Also link title sells the gm performance blower for your car.

Here are a few more

link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
  • cavyneedsworkcavyneedswork Member Posts: 12
    hey where did u go to find that supercharger for that 98 cavalier?
  • gidiupgidiup Member Posts: 4
    you can buy the cobalt ss engine with the super charger complete from gm
    by the time you by a 2.4 and supercharger you will be close in price.
    if you are swapping a 2.4 into a 2.2 pushrod you will have to change the pcm any ways.
    you will also have to consider what trans you have the isuzu 5spd if fairly weak.
    the final drive spider can't take the abuse. the supercharger kit is recommended
    for vehicles equipped with the 5spd getrag trans.
    Flowmaster are just ignorant sounding. I have dual flowmaster on my sunfire gt.
  • pccobrapccobra Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks, can anyone tell me where I can locate online the wiring diagrams for the Chevy Cavalier 2005?
    Hey guys just wandering if neone has an aftermarket tach in a 99 chevy cavalier, or if neone can tell me what wire of the motor i should splice the white wire off my tach into the directions told me to splice it into the white wire off the coil pack but then my tach has a slow reaction. any comment would be helpful thanx
  • woodyc10woodyc10 Member Posts: 1
    Hey All,

I have been outside working on my son's 98 Cavalier. His dome light doesn't work and I have checked all the switches and such. I have a Hayes Manual but it does not really detail the wiring for the dome light.

Looking at the Dome light I checked for +12 and found that neither side was hot. Looking at the lousey wiring diag in the hayes book it appears the light is switched by grounding the neg side of the bulb, by the door switches and/or the dimmer switch. I have ran +12 to the Orange wire of the dome (turning it on and powering the truck light which didn't work either), but could not get the door switches or the dimmer switch to turn it off.

So I have started tracing the wires for the Dome light and the hot wire from the fuse box (which has +12) but they disappear into the Great Unknown of the bundle of wires heading under the dash.

Some where there is a control module (or something) that the door switch wires and the hot from the fuse and the dome light wires go to but I can't tell where.

So any one have a real wiring diag or know something about the dome light wiring to help me out?

Thanks
    WoodyC10
    Check out rsmracing.com they have alot of performance upgrades
  • curvesinphxcurvesinphx Member Posts: 2
    im interested in customizing my 98 cavi but not sure if i should invest yet i been reading the posts for the CAI and i remembered a retail gift certificate that i won at the Hot Import Nights car show good for any AEM cold air intake OR a PlasmaGlow Underbody LED Kit and i think its a good place to start but i cant decide. any suggestions? plus i wanted to know if anyone happened to know about a website that i can visit to check out modified cavis that are worth looking at that go into detail also i heard about VERSUS being able to show u the previews of.... lets say a body kit on your car and different colors and so on but i tried looking to find something like that but i was unsuccesful so i was hoping som1 knew a site similar

thanks! :blush:
    ill check back soon
    you should go with the intake give your car more power. i had a several underbody kits on my 99 cavalier and they all showed off the tubes cause i didn't have a body kit or nothin so my preferance would be too kit the intake and wait for the underbody kit till maybe the one or two last items that you would want to put on your car
  • curvesinphxcurvesinphx Member Posts: 2
    yea, I ordered the CAI and stainless steel braided brake lines next im going to order headers and a catback exhaust , I am still looking for pics of modified cavis ( show quality ) to get some more ideas and advice though
  • chevynuttchevynutt Member Posts: 2
    the first thing I would do is remove your arifilter and the whole assembly and replace it with a cold air intake and exhaust....youll be impressed
    wow there are a crap load of beutiful cavaliers at cardomain.com just click on rides and look up cavaliers theres so many of them.
  • bigrambigram Member Posts: 1
    i have a 93 berretta i replaced the egr and the gaskets. two questions here the gasket over laps the top fitting and has a hole letting exhaust to escape. the port hole were pretty clogged si cleaned them out as well. is this gasket supposed to over lap like this i'm thinking it needs to be air tight. also the car boggs down and sounds like it wants to staul i thought this was the problem but it's not. Is there anything else i can look at. I also replaced the caddalic coverter as well. NEED HELP :confuse:
  • darestiedarestie Member Posts: 3
    Im looking to put a exhaust on my 05 cavalier. Anyone have experience with either the Pace Setter Monza single, or the RK sport single cat-back. Thanks
  • 97travscav97travscav Member Posts: 1
    I have been SLOWLY modding my 97 cavalier. I put a CAI on, and one of those bond auto exhaust on. This coming summer, money permitting, i plan on adding a header, and a REAL cat back exhaust. I was also noticing that there were a couple of performance chips on the market for my Cavy. One is from Jet performance, which doesnt claim how much extra horse power it makes. i was interested in this product until i notice a $100 more chip from Venom racing or something along the lines. i was wondering if anyone had either of these chips installed, and how well they worked. i know i used to get 2 gears of rubber with my stock tires, but since i added 16" rims i can just get one gear. i would like to get more power out of my car. someone please help me. tell me some performance companies that make things for thise car. if possible their websites. but im not sure if thats allowed on here. any feed back would be great.
  • needmajorhelpneedmajorhelp Member Posts: 5
    hi i have a 94 chevy cavalier and every time i stop at a stoplight, the car cuts off, but it does crank right back up, but i cant put it in drive yet, i have to wait until cars start moving again and then immediately press the gas or it cuts right back off, and sometimes when i start my car, it wont stay untill i have pressed the gas a few times. this problem is worse when its hot outside. when its cold and at nighttime this barely happens. and also i htink it might have something to do with my brakes. one time i pressed the brake really hard and the battery died.. and on the other hand, when i stop at a stoplight and i barely press the brake at all, it usually doesnt stall out. i just had a brand new alternator put in but apparently that wasnt the problem. when the car is on, the alternator sounds weird, its like its missin. any suggestions please? i have a baby and i need to get this fixed right away. thank you :cry: :confuse:
  • cavikidcavikid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 cavalier. It is purple(just to let c know i am not gay)and has 4 doors.I just rebult the head and re painted the valve cover. dont worie i have some performance not a total ricer.i have a new racing header with 2 1/2 inch pipe to an apc dual tip racing muffler i got of ebay for .99 cents(40.00 shiping)and an aem cold air intake. jvc deck to a 1000wat explod amp to 2 12in duals in a ban pass box.and the car is also lowered 1inch.it's my little baby. i love my car alot. i have ben intrested in cars mots my life.my first car realy was a 1978 trans am.i was wondering whati should do next?
  • pimpincavy2222pimpincavy2222 Member Posts: 4
    yo there is no arguement my buddy is a mechanic at steete ponte ford and used to own a 2001 MUSTANG GT till he totaled it but neways he had the intake running to his right tire well to suck in the cold air but it is true if it's on top of the engine it just sucks in hot air which not only hurts performance but kills gas mileage as well. your better off putting a kandN air filter in it. i noticed a huge difference in gas and performance in my 02 cavalier.
    i have a 2002 Chevy cavalier four door and i was just wondering if the tornado or turbonator really does increase horsepower and gas mileage because i have a kandN air filter in my car and i instantly saved gas mileage and gained horses. does anyone know about the tornado in a cavvy?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If they worked the manufacturers would make them standard equipment.

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

Steve, Host
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    Junk!!! Don't waste your money.
    is that from experience or just a guess because i didn't think a K and N airfilter would make much of difference but it did just wondering?
    i have a quick question. i have noticed everyone talking about CAI and headers first of all i would never put CAI on my car unless it ran to outside air i mean thats just common sense COLD AIR INTAKE is the name not HOT AIR INTAKE. anyways...is there any specific header and dual catbacks i can buy for my car... i have an 02 cavvy and i was just wondering if i could even buy duals for it. anyone help me?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Opinions about K&N's are all over the MAP too (if you'll pardon the pun :P ).

Check out the K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? discussion.

Steve, Host
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    It is not a guess. Just read the posted link that Steve put up. I have read other reports and tests that show an actual decrease in performance with the Turbonator. As for the K&N filter, many many people have used them and have stated better breathing cars. I can't say for certain if it does increase performance, but I do know that my Z has had one in for 6 years and the car performs great.
  • trublshootatrublshoota Member Posts: 1
    I replaced thermostat in a 96 chevy cavalier, now car is overheating and heater is not working.Is it possible that there is air in system causing this and if so how do I bleed out air?
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    The best thing to do is remove the thermostat, checking to make sure it was installed correctly, then test run the engine for overheating without the thermostat. It is very easy to put a thermostat in upside down, which will prevent water flow; hence, no water will cause overheating and no heat.
  • bluedragon1_25bluedragon1_25 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 04 cavalier without cruise. My friends and I have been taking it on road trips because they all have trucks. Is it possible to install cruise control? If it is, does anyone know if it's difficult?
  • pattymchatynpattymchatyn Member Posts: 1
    Engine swapped, lots of spark, fuel to fuel rail, no fuel to engine. Can somebody help?
  • smitty24smitty24 Member Posts: 7
    I changed my water pump. Now the temp is running normal but the overflow canister, which is where you add the coolant, is not pressuring up and is cold when I feel the coolant, even after running it a while with the cap on. Also, on the dashboard the low level light is on, although the level is showing fine. Any suggestions? Thanks...
  • smitty24smitty24 Member Posts: 7
    96 Cavalier: There is no, or very little, flow through my radiator. Top hose hot, bottom hose warm. Is this a thermostat or water pump problem? Or possibly something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...
    just wondering but is their anyone in this forum who has actually done extensive engine work to their cavalier like, performance chips, engine bores, pistons, cams and other items like that? also wondering if their was anyone who has put a turbo on a cavalier? any replies would be appreciated
  • jlm2664jlm2664 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this fixed? We are having the EXACT same problem!!!! Timing chain sliped, no compression, swaped engine, now no fuel, that was not a problem before swap.
    We would appreciate if you would contact us to let us know how you resolved the issue.
    Thank you,
    Jeff
  • pkchevypkchevy Member Posts: 1
    I would like to add some extra horsepower to my 96 chevy cavalier 2.2 L but i cant find any catalogs that specalize in upgrades, Also what would be some cheap easy ways to up the horsepower in this car for someone who isnt a certified mechanic ?
  • penaltypenalty Member Posts: 3
    Ok, ive heard their junk, Waste of money, Awsome, Great, ect. But i dont know if i should get one or not. And if u use performace parts does that make it so they wont get ruined? or wat? I need HELP! plzzz
  • gwilli33gwilli33 Member Posts: 1
    I am just wondering on this one, since I am not an expert or anything near that, nor do I claim to be one. I have seen 96-05 Cavy catbacks. Now do they mean that this exhaust will fit all 96-05 cavy's or that they have catbacks for those years.
    It means that the exhaust will fit on those years
    Penalty - I will tell ya my reason(s) for yes. I have a '95 Toyota 4runner that is lousy on gas, but fun to drive. I used to work close to home, so, no problem. My job changed to a 28 mile (one way), 10 stop light commute. The only saving grace is the night shift (light traffic going home). I had to find something CHEAP!! Everything I read and people I know were very positive on the 2.2 ECO-TEC engine. This is the same engine used in the Cobalt. Cavalier used this engine specifically in '03 and on. I found a used 2004 coupe - plain jane - 5 speed with a moon roof - for $7,500 total. The good news - 5,000 miles and 4 months later - what a bargain! No Lie - I average 34 MPG on my daily commute. I must stop at more than 1/2 of the lights coming to work, and 1/3 going home. 45 minutes in, 40 minutes going home. Never more than 65MPH, due to traffic and light spacing. Not the most comfortable car (most coupes are not), but now at 44,000 miles, no rattles, everything works and just fun to drive. I do not know what else to tell ya. Far better than the Neon, maybe a notch under the Focus, but the Focus mileage is not anywhere near the 34 - I know this for a fact, because the person I commuted with when I was using the 4runner stayed in the mid 20's. I do not know much about the automatic's performance. If you want a commuter car - perfect. If you want one to carry your four buddies around - forget it!! Has been totally maintenance free. A/c works great - never above 195 degrees on the thermostat gauge. Also, this gas mileage was from December through March in the D.C. area (even though we were milder than normal). Most of the car mags are down on the cavalier/sunfire, because it is an old design and therefore, outdated. Like I said - if this is going to be your main transportation for a joy bunch, go with the Focus or the Cobalt.
    So an ecotec is best engine for cavalier? im tihnking of getting a 2002 ecotec or z24 but not sure which will last the longest, im ganna be driving like 31 miles almost everyday from school to work and i need a reliable, cheap car, with great gasmilage and does performace parts let ur engine run longer? cuz im tihnking of getting it to be a showcar also
    Chevy is sold on the ecotec, as this is the base engine for the Cobalt, Malibu and HHR (except for the turbo). To be completely honest, you are making a huge financial mistake if you are looking to use the Cavalier as a show car. Cheap to buy and cheap to operate are the Cavaliers' strong points. Why would you want to turn around and put additional money into a car that you are looking to buy so cheaply? If you are financially able to do this - go for the Honda Civic SI. It already has the performance and glamour you are after. Not intending to burst your bubble! If you have the "know-how" and the time to make a Cavalier into what you desire - go for it! Just keep in mind that all of your hard work will not be rewarded at re-sell time.
  • karenschevyboykarenschevyboy Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about swapping my 2.2 Ecotec for a 2.4 Z24 engine and I'm wondering what else would need to be changed in order for the swap to work i.e. transmission, alternator, etc.... my cavy is a 2002 Cavalier SL with the sport package. If anyone can offer any advice, sites I can visit to help, or books I can get to help. I'd really appreciate it!
  • jmitchell2jmitchell2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to put a new block in my 95 cavalier but I want a faster, performance motor. Can anyone tell me what engines will fit into my car?? I have an LS 2.2. Thanks for your help.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The easiest upgrade is a K&N air filter. That will help a little. I believe there is a performance website for the Cavalier / Sunfire. Search under "J-Car performance". Good luck.
  • z24cavblownengz24cavblowneng Member Posts: 1
    i was racing on the highway the other day and i had the engine in third gear , red lined, and i went to shift to 4th and put it in 2nd, i know i suck, i let the clutch out and my wheels locked and the engine is done, the worst part is i had the kid to, anyway, my dad is thinkinh on getting a new engine puttion it in himself, he wants to know if its a huge job that might not be worth it, does anyone know?
  • mrhardsetmrhardset Member Posts: 1
    I baught a 1996 Cavalier for giggles and a new toy to work on. Most people (including myself) find the cavalier to be known to be a piece of crap. So, I am dumping some extra cash into one to see what it can really do. I came across a performance chip for it, thinking this might do some good. I baught one for 10 bucks. It didn't sound right to me. But then again my Audi TT doesn't need one. So, I have never messed with chips before. After I baught it, I found this website in a prvious post...http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=215434&t=215434

This is what it had to say....
    CHIPS : “I wanna chip my car!” so do the rest of us, but you now can take 1 minute out of your day to thank OBD2 computer that control our cars. On third gens from 96 and up, its OBD2, and OBD2 is as of now, unable to be chipped. There is such thing as a reflash programming, but VERY FEW places can do it. RSMracing.com Mantapart.com stated on their websites that they do it. But its expensive. And to what degree they do things, well I am not sure, if you wanna know, then call them or email them. Go straight to the source so you KNOW from the COMPANY DIRECTLY. 95 and earlier cars that had OBD1 computers however can be chipped. However chips companies that are decent are rare. - END QUOTE

Now, is this true? Am I 1 year short on the upgraded computer? Did I waste my money? (Eh, it was only 11 bucks.)
This discussion has been closed.