Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Stereo/Audio

Comments

• rocklarockla Member Posts: 12
    Anybody tried playing a mp3 cd in there cd player that the Tacoma 2006 comes with? mine does not see the mp3 format. Help! :)
  • socaltacosocaltaco Member Posts: 5
    I have tried an MP3 disk but to no Avail. I have the 06 Tacoma Sport DC. I just bought the 6 Disk in dash Stereo on e-bay. I am hoping this will work with the MP3's. If not I will get the JL Clean Sweep so i can hook up my subs and amps and an external device of my choice... MP3 Player...

I dont know why Car Manufactures dont have this as Mass Market yet. It should be available on every CD Player.

socal
  • goofballgoofball Member Posts: 20
    None of the stock '05-06 Tacoma head units play MP3s, not even the JBL as far as I know. You will have to either replace the stock head unit (requires an ugly dash kit) or add a PIE adapter (USA SPEC Part: DF-TOY is what I use for my XM and MP3 player) to add AUX input to the stock head unit for attaching an MP3 player.
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    I absolutely agree, it is ridiculous that the manufacturers haven't cought on yet. The fact that the JBL system doesn't have MP3 capability is a total let down.
  • stopmakingsensstopmakingsens Member Posts: 3
    I have yet to purchase a Tacoma but I will this week.
    I have read many of the posts.

Question - should I get the Toyota stock single cd player, Toyota 6CD changer, or the JBL 6CD changer? - for flexibility and sound quality.

I understand that a mp3 disc won't work but will probably just go for the ipod interface. From what I can tell there are at least 2 products that will do this.

I had a sequoia for 3 years with a jbl 6cd changer - hated it - sounded muddy to me. But I can't be too picky because at least during a test drive the Toyota single cd player sounded fine...

I just want my son to be able to play his tunes in his ipod.

Thanks for any responses.
  • suedehead00suedehead00 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Kenwood KSC-SW1 Powered Subwoofer from ebay and I am interested in connecting it to the stock head unit of my 05 Tacoma.

As far as wiring it goes, does anyone know of a wiring harness that would suit my needs? In researching this, I have found a T-Harness 60-1761 link that is for 1987 models and UP, but 1987 was a long time ago and I am not sure if it is compatible with the 2005 head.

Any info on the harness or the overall project in general would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    According the the Kenwood website, that powered subwoofer will accept RCAs OR high level speaker inputs. All you have to do is tap into a set of speaker wires behind the radio and hook them up to the high level inputs. No need for a RCA converter. You're in luck.

Click on my name and send me an e-mail if you need instructions on how to remove the stock radio, so you can get to the wires.

:):)
  • phippiniphippini Member Posts: 9
    I am going to install an aftermarket deck and speakers to my 05 Tacoma. I have a couple wiring harness adapters that I need to hook power up to; one for an Ipod and the other for a XM MyFi unit. How should I go about hooking up the power for these units? Through the power line for the deck? Using the aux from the fuse box?
    I also will be swapping out the factory speakers. Any ideas for what material to use when making the adapters? I pulled the access cab door panels off and made some with 3/4" plywood. I would imagine there is better material to use. The hole in the access door accepted a 5x7 Cerwin Vega speaker.
    Also, for anyone interested, the "Pro-fit" mounting bracket works great for the XM MyFi installation. Easy to install after popping out the climate control panel.

Thanks.
  • grubber1grubber1 Member Posts: 2
    taco tunes shows some nice spacers. i havent used them yet, but looks good.
  • grubber1grubber1 Member Posts: 2
    thought this might be helpful for some. i came accross this while scouring for a sub box which would fit the double cab. it should hopefully answer some ???'s

http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_tacoma/great_sound.asp

p.s. i still havent found a clean sub box for the d/c
    any suggestions?
    thanks
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone installed the new Scosche dash kit? Could we see some pics??
    The Toyota/JBL sub is pretty weak. It's barely an 8".
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I am sure it is, it don't compare to my 12" pushing 500 watts continous, anything made by stock equipment is pretty weak, my mom owns a bmw and she says that the stereo in her car is pretty good, she says she asked the dealer and they said bmw upgraded stereos because they did not want people to tear out their stuff and put in aftermarket stereos.
  • some_dudesome_dude Member Posts: 1
    What about the cd functionality? Do you loose that for the the wo aux ports?
  • sam78041sam78041 Member Posts: 21
    The only important difference between a single CD and 6CD head units is the steering wheel audio controls that 6CD package comes with. Please, note that this package is available exclusively on Double Cab and TRD (Sport/Off-Road) models - and not even in all regions. You can't just upgrade ANY truck to 6CD (DZ package, if I remember correctly), even though you might think it's possible through website customization.

Regardles of whether you buy 1 or 6 CD truck, you WILL want to change speakers. I personally went with "mid-end" Infinty Kappas and extremely happy with the improvement of sound quality with the stock stereo.

From what I read online, even people with JBL package tend to upgrade speakers and/or the rest of the sound system.

I would really like to know if swapping stock to an aftermarket stereo improves the sound further. Can anyone comment on this? BTW, if you go with Eclipse brand, I heard, you will be able to use your steering wheels controls.

Hope my 2 bits were helpful...
  • kgrcr1kgrcr1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 06 Tacoma access cab and want to know how the access door panels come off. I am in the process of upgrading the stereo system and definitely need to replace the speakers in the access doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • hpascohpasco Member Posts: 2
    Have an 05 being delivered friday with JBL\system. Reading these forums, sounds like the sub is the weakest component (or is the amp?) I'm no audiophile and so am not interested in spending significant cash on replacing whole system with aftermarket parts. Would upgrading the amp and or sub for make much of an impact? Has anyone successfully done this? Looking to spend <$300 and self install.
  • tnt67tnt67 Member Posts: 30
    http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=audiotech&Number=508005&Foru- m=f6&Words=write&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=507514&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=5117&dat- erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post508005
  • rcyr99rcyr99 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if we can get a harness for adapt the stearing wheel controls, with a head unit like Apline. I am looking at ripping the facctory unit out and putting in an Apine unit with Alpine door speakers, should improve the sound some. And if we can't adapt the controls to the head unit, can we take the stearing controls out, and put a cap on it instead.

Also had anyone found a good Carbon-Fiber dash kit for a 05 tacoma? ( i have a 05 double cab TRD sport)
  • jblojblo Member Posts: 1
    please supply me to link to remove door panels, I have a 1995 toy tacoma
    Check this link for lots of mods, including door panel removal.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t93275.html
  • rcwardrcward Member Posts: 2
    Hey, Is there anyway of putting a subwoofer in a 2004 crew cab tacoma? I don't want it showing. Or in the way of any rear seat passengers. Thanks for the help...
  • budobudo Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2006 tacoma dbl cab and i would like to upgrade my stock radio. my problem is the wiring harness. i have the american international and it doesn't fit at all. also the truck has three different harnesses and the kit i bought only has two. can anyboby please lead me to the right direction and/or provide answers. crutchfield has no answer for me. thankxxx..
    Sounds like they gave you the wrong harness. The 05/06 tacoma uses the same radio harness' as previous years Tacomas. But I'm not sure about the ones with the JBL system.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    I just bought my first Tacoma(o6). I loved it in everyway when I brought it home, except, I found the antenna to be about 6 inches too long. It drags along my garage door when I enter and leave. I can remove it and put it back on, but when its raining it will become a problem. Is it possible to find a shorter antenna any where, or anyone has another alternative? Much appreciated
  • jaymoneyjaymoney Member Posts: 3
    Check with www.tacotunes.com They have everything new for our tacoma's..I just did my 06 Tacoma with 6 1/2 in every door and a new faceplate for the new stereo and they threw in the wire harness
    I would like to remove the top console to run a alarm LED for the top of the window...Would anyone out there have info on how to remove this thank you,.,I have a 06 Tacoma
    I did yesterday in a 06 Tacoma..Looks good..really have to look hard to see the color difference,,Its not that bad and it really looks good!
    Top Console? Do you mean the overhead console?

To remove the overhead console you just open up the sunglass pocket and unscrew the screw in there, then the front part of the console is held in with clips. Just get your fingers around the edges and pull down. It will pop loose. Then pull it back and down at the same time.
    Now i have not looked real good but does anyone know if we could mount some 8' sub's in the doors of a 05 double cab tocoma? I am looking at some Jl Audio 6W0 Car Subwoofers.
    The door would probably vibrate like crazy, even with lots of dampening material. But you could try it, as long at the window doesn't hit the magnet.
    yeah, that's what i was thinking. JL has a 6.5 sub's also, maybe i'll just stick with the normal 6.5's in all four doors, and get some replacement tweet's for the front doors.

Also any one here find a kewl dash carbon fiber kit?
  • pughboy2pughboy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tacoma. I found a website www.installdr.com that had a wiring harness for 1987-newer. The problem is that pin "o" says its not used and I have a wire there. I am trying to hook up an amp using "high end" wire leads since I don't have any RCAs on the factory radio. Has anyone else run into this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Does anyone know the thickness of the TacoTunes or MDF speaker adaptor?

I'd like to pick a speaker that'll fit before I tear everything down.

Thanks!
  • dbeaudrydbeaudry Member Posts: 2
    like many people I was unable to find a sub box for my 05 Tacoma double cab so my roommate Jason built one for me. I have no clue how he did it but its cool because you can close the seats and everything looks stock.

Here are a few picture of the audio install my roommate Jason did for me. I have a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4X4.

http://homepage.mac.com/daniel_beaudry/PhotoAlbum27.html
  • toytacstuphtoytacstuph Member Posts: 11
    First, let me thank all you guys (and not-guys) for the information posted here. You&#146;ve helped me avoid paying for a stereo I would likely get rid of at the first opportunity; that is I&#146;m in the hunt for an 06 double cab and was considering one of the upgraded stereo systems. Now I&#146;m staying with the standard system with plans to do some replacement at the first opportunity. First will be the speakers and some door insulation, but I realize I missed something. The standard system is a &#147;six-speaker&#148; system and I have no idea where the extra two speakers are located! I know there is one in each of the four doors, but… :confuse: Are the extra two speakers satellite tweeters mounted up front somewhere? Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll have more to follow!
    tt&stuph
    There is a tweeter mounted in each of the front doors up high. A 6.5" component set will work great for replacing the door speakers. An adapter plate is needed to make a 6.5" fit in the stock 6x9 opening.
  • pekosrobpekosrob Member Posts: 25
    yeah, check out performanceproducts.com, they have a bunch of stuff for tacomas. you can get a free catalog. they have like 4 different lengths for antennas. i want to get a 12 or 15". i really hate how the antenna is so freakin' long.
  • pekosrobpekosrob Member Posts: 25
    I want to get the new Alpine IVA-W200 unit for my 05 DC Tacoma. Since it's so new, they're not listed on crutchfield or any other website. I think they're coming out in March or April, and retail around $1100. It's as DVD screen that is stationary, that is double din. The Tacoma can support this, right? I also need to know where to buy the replacement console for the installation, or if places like Circuit City/Best Buy use them and charge the $49.95 or whatever. Someone PLEASE email me! rob.paek@gmail.com If you REALLY know how to install these things on your own, and can easily show me, that would be much appreciated. I've never done a stereo install on my own, so I'm kind of new at this but would like to learn.
  • ogre01ogre01 Member Posts: 15
    Wow, that's some righteous worksmanship. Jason is one hell of a craftsman. Would he be looking for a new roommate? ;)
    I replaced the stock 32" antenna with a black 21" antenna. I wanted one that was about the same height as the top of the cab. The 21" is a couple inches taller than the cab. I looks pretty good, IMO.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here is where I got it. http://performanceproducts4trucks.com/productpage.aspx?pid=109926&name=Stubbie+R- - - eplacement+Antenna

This antenna is pretty beefy, and would not be a good choice if you take your truck through automatic car washes, which I like to call the Swirl-O-Matics. I always wash my vehicles by hand. ;)
    Here's the best place to get a Scosche Double-Din dash kit.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5774.html

The Scosche kit is much better looking than the American International kit.
  • dbeaudrydbeaudry Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, he is pretty talented. You should see his '69 vet that he is restoring and modifying. Maybe I will post some pictures of it when he is done.
  • dlarsendlarsen Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '06 Tacoma and am thinking about upgrading the speakers. Was wondering if you could forward me the link detailing how to take off the door panels, etc. Any tips on speakers and a installing a new stereo is appreciated. Thanks.
  • csteegecsteege Member Posts: 1
    Tacotunes.com is a great site for this.
    Check this for info on how to remove the door panels and replace the speakers. http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=465105
  • getstuntasticgetstuntastic Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know any ideas if any on how to install JL audio 10" subs in the back of a Toyota Tacoma ext cab without using up all the space
  • keithinatorxkeithinatorx Member Posts: 2
    Is the 06 regular cab pre wired for rear speakers? The standard set up is 4 speaks--2 highs and 2 door.
  • tacobramtacobram Member Posts: 1
    I am in love with my new Tacoma. My days of decks, Amps and expensive speaker systems are over. But I think the audio should still sound decent. My experience is that the fm mode pushes very little power. However in the cd mode there is a significant boost where the sound actually is pleasant for a stock system. I am upset that there is no AUX inputs. I am an XM/MP3 fan and the fm modulator does nothing to please me. Now concerning the PA10-TOY or other, I have the 6 cd changer in my '06. Does anyone know how this will be effected? There is an extra unused interface on the rear of the deck ( i think abt 10 or 12 pins). Is this what I use? I am thinking the PA10 takes the place of what would be an extra external cd changer. Does it work the same way where I will still have access to the 6 cd's. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.