Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jfioresltjfioreslt Member Posts: 10
    Okay, I am not going nuts. I was on here yesterday and I could swear that discussion was missing from the list. I even did a search same as you, and it didn't come up. That's why I had to post under "Problems and Solutions"! Was it removed and then put back. Was there a temporary problem? Or did I just have a temporary brain dysfunction!
    Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It probably wasn't you as there have been a few gremlins wandering around lately!:)
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    water goes in around the edges of my stock tailight covers every time i wash the car too......
  • pete4tunepete4tune Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 scion xb standard tranny. I feel its geared too low as highway rpms @ around 3,800 doing low 70's. The car is so loud at this speed I have to double the volume of the radio to hear it. My local custom shop suggests 17" wheels will make a big diff. in bringing down RPM's. I checked on net and found with wheel size change a 70 MPH speedometer read would actually be 79.3MPH. Any advice/suggestions? appreciated. Also can I get speedo recalibrated to be accurate with new wheel size? Thanks
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    You need to work on your math.

A larger diameter wheel would make your speedo read SLOWER than you are traveling, not faster.
    And certainly not by 9 mph. Maybe 2%.
    Also, what size tire s would you use?

I put 17's on my xB and they fit great.
  • pete4tunepete4tune Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I agree with your reply. Maybe the way I worded my sentence was confusing. Do you find the 17" wheels on the box to be a worthwhile improvement? Better MPG? Lower RPM's? vs. cost of wheels& tires? I'm running 15"snow tires on original steel wheels for now so I need to purchase wheel /tire package for spring. I got speedo/wheel size info off a web site which sells custom wheels. If I can dig up the site info I'll post it
    I used larger 215/45-17's on my xB.
    They are .8 of an inch taller, but I like how they fit. That has the effect of raising the .4 of an inch and the circumference is about 3.7% larger.
    Here's a very useful link:
    tire size calculator
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Someone on ScionLife reported these speeds vs rpms:
    60 is 3000
    65 is 3250
    70 is 3500
    80 is 4000
    According to that, your 3800 rpm should be high 70s.
    Bigger 17" wheels use lower profile tires, making little change in the rolling radius. There is no practical way to change the ratio of your mph to rpms.
    "Bigger 17" wheels use lower profile tires, making little change in the rolling radius."

That depends on what size tires you decide to use.
  • bubba24bubba24 Member Posts: 1
    those lil scions are junk every time i turn around i see problems with them haha by the way its brycar the one that u said sounds like this person is not a scion fan and got lost and turned to the wrong forum..........
    get that person a map to the expensive gmc forum quick!
    perhaps there they can brag about all those ponies and great gas mileage! haha very funny i no my gmc will blow that lil pieace of crap away haha 108hp against 345hp wow thats a big difference dood!!! u need to buy u a real vehicle. NOT NO JUNK!!!!!!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    from another one of America's GM-driving public. No wonder NASCAR is selling out like it is. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

What size tire do you recommend for his 17 inch wheels that will fit the wheel wells properly and significantly lower his rpms vs mph?
    I am using 215/45-17's
    They are a common tire size, so there are lots of choices, still have a sidewall so they ride well and have the effect of lowering the effective gear ratio about 3-4%.
    They fit perfectly too.
  • mook2mook2 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 06 and it came with audio controls on steering wheel. :)
  • rick06rick06 Member Posts: 1
    I do not know if you ever got an answer on your sulfur smell. Your bad smell of sulfur is normally related to the catalytic converter. I read once where city police cars used to have a major problem with the sulfur smell as they drive at low speeds around the city all day long. The converter needs to get up to a high temperature to work properly and burn off the pollutants, which can include sulfur that occurs in the gasoline. While some of the crude oil is higher in sulfur content, again, I read most high sulfur crude is sent overseas as it does meet the EPA requirements. Since our gasoline must meet US EPA standards it is hard to believe that bad gas is a problem unless the gas was old gas, stored over 6 months or more, and that might come into play. The dealer is not probably going to be that knowledgeable about your situation, but talk with a reputable muffler shop. They should be able to provide you with some insight. Good luck. Rick :)
    That was a 2006.5 change, beginning in December 2005, and was accompanied by a $120 price increase.
  • wbradwbrad Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps this gentleman should have spent more time in a school bus instead of worrying about the horsepower of his personal vehicle.
  • tron74tron74 Member Posts: 1
    I recently lost a small square section on my lower grill
    after a hard rain fall. Does anyone know if this is covered by warranty or if I will have to pay for the new
    piece?
    The lower grill has three sections. It is not uncommon for a section to be knocked out by hitting debris or driving through deep puddles. I doubt if the loss of a section would fall under the warranty. Some people then remove the remaining sections, but that leaves the condenser more exposed to debris.
  • duck68137duck68137 Member Posts: 7
    I agree. The XA is also geared way to low. But you should not have to buy larger wheels, only larger tires. It stands to reason that if you would buy tires that are 10% larger in outside circumfrance, then your speedometer should be off exactly 10%. For example:
    50 would really be 55
    60 would really be 66
    70 would really be 77
    ect.
    Using the 10% ratio is pretty easy to calculate. The only question is, would tires that are 10% larger fit without hitting the wheel wells.
  • james49james49 Member Posts: 5
    and learn to spell.
  • _miawallace__miawallace_ Member Posts: 2
    We've had our XB since June of 05' recently the handle on the hatchback above the tag light came off. The dealership acted as though it was not a common problem. It looks as though it was attached as cheaply as possible. We use our hatch quite often. Has anyone else had this problem.
    "... the handle on the hatchback above the tag light came off... looks as though it was attached as cheaply as possible...."

How did it come off - did it break or did it pull its screws out or whatever? How was it attached?
  • pleiadespleiades Member Posts: 38
    I was going to ask about that, I'm shopping cars looking at smallish SUV's. Couldn't test drive the xb today, salesman too busy. Looked in them though, really tempting price and interior nice compared to Element. Spacious enough for me but...the only thing I never liked about my current car, too low to the ground. It floods a bit when it rains here, we have some steep driveways and gutters and worse the roads are coming apart, major potholes. Driving Hawthorne Blvd. is an off road experience.
    I was looking at that low scooping bumper thinking, it won't last 15 minutes.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    YOu also have to be careful of curbs and parking stoppers (best I could come up with).

The front end is very low.
    The front lip is 8" from the ground. This is about the same height as precast parking bumpers, but because the xB is only 13 feet long, there is no need to get near any bumper or curb. Just stop the car several feet away from such things.

The xB's 8" high front lip only looks low because the 8" occurs so far forward. But that lip has about the same clearance as the lowest point on the Ford Escape and Explorer SUVs, both of which have 8.2" of clearance.

The xB’s lowest point is actually back under the engine with only 6.1” of clearance. But for comparison, my wife's 2003 Buick LeSabre only has 5.4” of clearance under the engine and nobody has any problem with that.

(All these clearances come from car specs on the mfr websites.)
  • _miawallace__miawallace_ Member Posts: 2
    it broke off, it was held on by 2 metal clips and 2 plastic clips. very thin and very tiny. We got it back from the dealership yesterday and so far so good. But I don't know what they did to it other than there was a strong smell of glue
    Maybe they just glued the handle to the hatch, because it was easier than removing the inside hatch panel and replacing the broken clips. Based on this, if my handle comes off, I will ask the dealer to replace the clips and do it myself if he doesn't. It would be a good opportunity to add sound deadening to the hatch. Apparently the hatch is the biggest contributor to noise inside the car.
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65529
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
    That was interesting.
  • ferrisbullerferrisbuller Member Posts: 5
    This is my first post; Maybe an XB owner can help me here, I'm attempting to purchase an XB that the dealership does not have but will be available on 23 May 06. Has anyone had a problem with a Scion dealership obtaining one; as long as the car is not already spoken for? My dealership is in the panhandle in Northwest Florida. I'm being told that in order to trade a Scion for Scion; color has to be the same in dealing with competing dealerships.

2. What is the deal with Scion.com? Been attempting to get on that site for two weeks but the site never pops-up on the screen.

Thanks everyone.
    Scion.com works for me.

Most xBs are pre-sold. People pay a $500 (usually) deposit to reserve a car in the pipeline. If you dont pay the deposit, the dealer may take a deposit from someone else who will have the right to that car.

As I understand it, dealers are allocated a certain number of cars, once or twice a month, and the dealers then state which cars they prefer, based on their needs and customer orders. This preferencing of allocated cars occurs after a ship full of cars has left Japan. At this time it is certain which cars are on the ship, and they can be assigned to dealers.

It then takes 4-6 weeks for those cars to reach port and depending on destinations, be transported on trains and then on trucks to the dealers. Dealers in the same area can trade cars that are enroute to their area, while the cars are on the boat or train, or can trade for cars that are already on their lots. I you want your car to have only 1-5 miles, it must come off the boat and you wait longer. If you don't mind a few hundred miles on your new car, your dealer may find one at a dealer in another city and have it driven to you in a day.
  • cscmnavretcscmnavret Member Posts: 2
    We purchased our xb the end of January in Athens, GA. The dealer was getting three or four cars a week with no problem. We drove ours out of the showroom with 47 miles on it. Color is Black Cherry with a few extras, Spoiler, power mirrors, overdrive.
    Just for info to those thinking of buying an xb
    We took the car to Corpus Christi,TX in April. People talk of the engine being too small. Ran most of the trip at seventy mph, still had plenty of pickup to pass another vehicle if need be. Averaged 32mpg for the round trip. We sure do like the car. The only complaint I had with the drive was a sore butt going out. The seats are fairly firm. A stop in WalMart for a four dollar soft pillow resolved that on the trip home We downsized from a 1990 GMC Conversion Van and also a 1977 Chrysler Cordoba, which we are keeping but not driving too much now.
    When I purchased my Scion xB in 2-05, I bascially told them the color and options. My options were put on at the distibutor and I had the car in two and a half weeks. Having said that, I did purchase the car from a high volume dealer.
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    We live in central Texas and are thinking about an xB. Is the A/C strong enough to cool both the front and rear seats on a 94 degree day?

Thanks,
    Bubba :)
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I test drove both. No comparison. The fit drives like a little sports car, the XB drove like a mini van. Interior quality is similar, but the driving drove me to the fit.
    Front seats: yes
    Rear seats: unknown (no one ever sits back in mine)
  • parr8headparr8head Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Phoenix and there doesn't seem to be a problem in the back seat, the A/C blows great! The interior gets really hot when parked though so I recommend a sun shade for the windshield.

:shades:
  • miamaxmiamax Member Posts: 5
    Hi there,
    I just purchased a used 2005 xb and had a question regarding the dash lights. Unfortunately I didn't receive a manual with my purchase, but have ordered one from Toyota..I noticed this evening that when I started the car the maintenance required light blinked about a half a dozen times before turning off like the others...is this normal? I bought the car at carmax and they do recondition before resale and I have 5 days to change my mind if theres a problem..love the car though, it's a fun drive!
    anybody have any thoughts on this one?
    thanks!
    M.
    "... when I started the car the maintenance required light blinked about a half a dozen times before turning off like the others...is this normal?"

That sounds like the car's reminder that an oil change is due. It flashes on start up for 500 miles, then will stay one. The oil change interval comes set at 5000 miles, but can be reset for 4000 or 3000.
    "... The fit drives like a little sports car, the XB drove like a mini van."

I drove some minivans, and the xB that I ended up getting drives like a sports car to me, not a minivan. It may feel like a minivan getting in the doors without bending down, and having lots of legroom and headroom. The xB and the Fit do have appproximately the same engines, suspensions and weights.
    Thanks aatherton,
    I had a feeling that might be it, but they changed the oil right before I purchased the car and I've checked it myself and it is all good. Is there a way to stop the light from flashing?`
    I have copied these from somewhere, but it is in the owners manual and you should find it and verify it there:

Reset and/or specify the interval for the “Maintenance Required” light using the trip meter button:

The ECU (engine control unit or computer) records the distance your car has traveled. Scion recommends that you change your oil every 5,000 miles. When your car exceeds 4,500 miles, the ECU will flash the Maintenance Required light for 12 seconds after turning the key to 'on'. If it exceeds 5,000 miles, then the ECU keeps the “Maintenance Required” light on until it is reset. To reset, follow this procedure listed in the owner's manual:

* Step 1 - Turn the key to the 'on' position. Using the trip meter button, toggle the LCD display until 'ODO' is displayed.
    * Step 2 - Turn the key off. Now, push and hold the trip meter button. While holding the trip meter button, turn the key to 'on'.
    * Step 3 - While you continue to hold the trip meter button, you will see on the LCD display 5 small dashes and they will begin to 'count down' rather quickly.
    *Step 4 - Continue holding the trip meter button and once all the dashes have been cleared, the LCD will display six zeros (000000) - release the trip meter button now - and then the LCD will display 'ODO' and your current mileage. At this time, your “Maintenance Required” light has been reset.

*Note* each dash represents 1,000 miles. If you like to change your oil every 3,000 miles for example, release the trip meter button when only 2 dashes remain. That way, you will get the reminder light at the next 3,000-mile mark instead of 5,000.

Clear the “Maintenance Required” light using the trip meter button:

If at the time you changed your oil, you or the person changing your oil did not reset the “Maintenance Required” light, or if you would just rather turn it off instead of setting the interval (aka- the lazy way to turn off that annoying light), follow these steps:

* Step 1 - Turn the key to the 'on' position.
    * Step 2 - Reset both trip meters to zero. You can reset the trip meters to zero by selecting Trip A or Trip B and holding in the trip meter button for five (5) seconds.
    * Step 3 - After both trip meters are reset, select any trip meter and hold in the trip meter button and start the car.
    * Step 4 - Continue holding the trip meter button until the “Maintenance Required” light disappears.
    Thanks aatherton for the wonderful directions! got the light reset without a problem now :-)
  • robandjeannerobandjeanne Member Posts: 19
    I think I saw a writeup for a new XB in 2006, other writeups say 2008. It's supposed to be 10 inches longer and have a more powerfull 2.4L engine (too bad). Some interesting features of the concept car were rear doors that open towards the rear (suicide), and a flat front floor with not much console (great for stretching your leg), Has anyone researched the new XB?
    There are two sets of photos around.
    One set is polished photos of the new bB concept car which might be the next xB - disturbingly ugly in my opinion. This could make it here in 2007.
    The other set is spy shots of a present boxy xB that has been stretched and disguised - called a mule. This looks like it would be 2008.
    One rumor is that the next xB will be on the larger platform of the next Corolla, which probably means a larger engine.
    Whichever, it is likely that the next xB will be larger, more powerful, more expensive and less fuel-efficient.
  • robandjeannerobandjeanne Member Posts: 19
    Thanks. Also, I heard Toyota was introducing a new XB for Japan only, so I guess this is a third set of photos (although I haven't seen any of these yet). I hate to see Toyota going to a larger engine for any new XB, because it has to lower gas mileage 10 mpg to the mid 20s vrs mid 30s. Instead they should have offered a choice of a larger engine for those who insist on it.

The elimination of a center console is a great idea in my opinion. I remember how roomy an ancient Peugeot 304 was with its flat floor. The extra lenght is great also because it probably would allow using the XB as a camper/sleeper, which you can do in cramped style with the present model but it's always great to have more room.
  • whirleydvwhirleydv Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard about the 2006 XB steering locking up?
    I have read about the steering rack going bad on a couple of xBs.
    And I think there was a recall on steering racks on the tC in 2005.
  • whirleydvwhirleydv Member Posts: 3
    Could this cause the steering to Freeze? My son is 19 was turning right at about 20 mph.... Steering froze hit a curb... $7500.00 worth of damage. Toyota sent a factory rep out... said it was driver error... so we paid. Took them 6 weeks to fix... gave us back the car.... Had it for 3 days and it happened again.... this time he shut the car down... however it's back in the shop again...With the entire axel replaced.. and with them knowing we had said the steering had locked would this have been replaced?
    I would think if the power steering rack failed in a certain way, it could jam the steering. I don't know if this would happen suddenly or would have some symptoms before freezing. If the rack had a fluid leak or began to wear or gall somewhere, it would give notice, make noise, steer stiffly maybe. If something snapped, there would be sudden loss of steering, either a freeze or free wheels.

When you say it happened again after the first $7,500 in damage, do you mean the steering froze a second time? Or that he hit a curb a second time? Or both?

After the car being inspected by the factory rep, and being twice in the shop, if the steering was not working right, I think the dealer would have requested your authorization to repair it. If the rep and dealer found no problem to be repaired with the steering, then they can only say that hitting the curb looks like driver error.