Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta Climate Control Questions

abordelonabordelon Member Posts: 1
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI and would like to add an after market digital outside air temp display on the dash in place of one of the unused toggle switches. The installation space is roughly 1 and 1/4 x 2 inches. Does any member know of a source for this kit? ABordelon

Comments

• dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    I don't know about dash kits, but I have seen some that are incorporated into the rear-view mirror. Not what you asked for, but the sensor might work for your idea.
  • fiatfanfiatfan Member Posts: 9
    I have been looking for the same thing, but have had no luck. I want a wireless unit, so the sensor can be mounted behind the front bumper. The readout should be small and can just stick on the dash. Great idea putting it where a switch would go.
  • liz985liz985 Member Posts: 1
    Several months ago the A/C on my 1998 Jetta failed. I took it into the dealer twice for service. The first time they evacuated and recharged the system. The second time they replaced the expansion valve and thrust sensor. However, it still doesn't work properly and they don't seem to know what's wrong. The strange thing is this: The A/C doesn't seem to work when I'm driving at a high-speed, such as when I'm on the freeway. But when I begin to slow down, the system seems to kick-in. Any ideas or similar experiences?
  • deryllderyll Member Posts: 7
    I've got a really bad smell coming from my 06 Jetta TDI heater vents when they're supplying heat. I went to the dealer and they changed the cabin air filter but still smells anyone have an idea on this on? The carpets are dry car has not been in rain or snow for sometime. I've got 27k on it and this is the first time for this odor problem.
    :confuse:
  • vwsuevwsue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jetta with approx 30k miles. Have had same problem with oder when vents supply fresh air and heat. Reminds me of when I visited my grandmother in a nursing home years ago. Could smell urine upon entering the facility. Similar odor in car. It was interesting to read your post. I will check cabin filter.
  • shoughunshoughun Member Posts: 4
    You better check and replace your cabin filter of your VW. To replace a Volkswagen air cabin filter in most cases it can be done in a few minutes with minor tools. Wear protective gloves and eyewear when servicing. To replace cabin filter locate the air cabin filter housing it is usually under the dash on the passenger side compartment or under the hood near the rear of the cowl. Air cabin filters are similar to Volkswagen air filter but cabin filters have better filtering qualities.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    My Jetta climate control seems to act strange on cooler days. The air blows from the vents at idle or slower sppeds up to apx. 60 MPH. At 60 or above the vent seems to close because I see that the fan is still operational and I can overide it manually by direct the air to the front vent. I had the vent control motors replace last year because of a ticking noise issue and I don't recall the problem before this repair. I had the dealer check it out but they told me they could not find the problem. Of course that day it was very hot so the blower was fully operational. Anyone have a similar experiance?
  • paladin252paladin252 Member Posts: 1
    hey defreitasm, your ticking noise, was it a tick that would happen about 5 or 6 times, then go away for a few minutes, then happen again? i just bought a 06 GLI and this is happening to me and not sure what it is.
  • jaydillojaydillo Member Posts: 4
  • jaydillojaydillo Member Posts: 4
    I need some real help with my A/C. I think the condenser fan is shot but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it and figuring out if that is really problem. Anyone have any advice?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    A good tech would pull the relay and jumper the contacts to see if the fan will run.
    *) If it does, try another relay. (usually can swap with like relay in the relay box.)
    *) If not, suspect the fan itself is bad.
  • _javier_javier Member Posts: 2
    I have recently been trying to find a DIY for replacing the cabin air filter for my 2005 Jetta, and the closest I came was this web site.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?968305

Although this is for a 1999 Vortes Jetta, I still went looking on my Jetta and found that this DIY did not apply to my car. Fortunately I did find where the filter is, even though the replacement that I had bought at WalMart was not the correct one.

The filer is located under the dash just behind (or in front) of the glove box. You will have to do as us Old-School guys did back when we installed our own steroes and such.

You will have to get on your back and go underneath the glove box. There is an insulation-type material between the glove box and the firewall held by 2 plastic screws.

Once the screws are removed usnig a slotted screw driver, the insulation can be peeled off easily and reveal the filter cavaty.

The filter is held in place by a hard plastic lid that is removed by sliding it off to one side.

Then just simply pull out the old filter and replace with a new one, or in my case I just cleaned out as much as possible between the folds and then replaced the same filter.

I hope this comes in handy for someone who was desperately searching as I was. I thought about taking photos on how to do it step-bystep, maybe on annother day when the temp isn't too hot.

Good luck!

Javier
  • msblondiebmsblondieb Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my '06 Passat last summer ('10). Smell was worse than sun-baking roadkill (pardon the graphic). My mechanic--"Superman"--had to order the cabin filter, but before he could change it, he sprayed the old filter with a super deodorizor, (don't know the brand or anything, but it was in a spray can) then let it run for 10-15 minutes with the vents blowing on high. Voila! 100% better. Took care of the smell/germs, stuff in the vents, too. I still had him change the filter a week or so later, and haven't had the issue since. "Superman" said the deodorizer can be purchased at an auto parts store--tell them what you want it for. Give it a try...Good luck!
  • cozydog66cozydog66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jetta GLX with the automatic climate control. Whether it's using the air conditioning or heating the air flow surges a lot and very frequently at all setting except for dialing down the selected inside temperature to it's lowest setting. This seems to occur whether the system is on "AUTO" or "ECON".

I have the feeling the fan itself is continuing to do it's job but it's like the actual airflow becomes restricted-open-restricted over and over. Any ideas????
  • bigben73bigben73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have Jetta 2008 TDI.
    Since its purchase date all the fumes from outside can be heavily smelled inside (especially when standing in traffic all the fumes from the cars in front of me get into my Jetta causing headache). No matter if the "recirculation button" is on or off the fumes still get inside. To compare, I have an old Saab which doesn't have the same problem, so it is not my nose :-)
    Also I don't seem to hear the switching noise of the recirculation flap when i switch the air circulation mode.
    I took the car once to VW service and was told there was no problem, but the issue of smelling any outside pollution in the car is a huge issue. I love the Jetta and wouldnt want to sell it. I am not very savy in repairs, but would like to have a go if I know what part needs to be changed. Can anyone help me to resolve the issue?
  • rshowmanrshowman Member Posts: 4
    i have 2002 vw jetta tdi and the air stopped working i thought it was the presser sensor i bought one and it still won't work fan works but the compresser won't kick in please help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    check fuses and if they're okay you'll have to check for low refrigerant level. The system will not engage the compressor if refrigerant is low, in order to protect the compressor from damage.
    The fuses are okand the refrigerant is full :confuse:
    So are we quite sure no voltage is going to the AC compressor clutch?
    Yes there is just can't figure it out
    Can you energize the AC clutch by applying (briefly) outside current to it?
    It's the clutch . the clutch cost 400.00 to 600.00 more then the whole part the whole thing is 315.00 go figure thank you for the help
  • tommyriordantommyriordan Member Posts: 3
    I have one issue with this car which is it doesn't provide that much comfort which my friend and I was expecting from it.It feels like we paid very much that this car deserves.