Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I have some catching up to do!!

(not as much as on "I don't like SUV's, why do you?", which is up to 2 thousand something behind!)
    "When you bought your Jeeps, how old were you?"

36, last August.

"My Mom made the comment after having dinner at my brother's house, "I'm embarrassed, she's 38 and Jeep's are driven by younger kids...she needs to get something sensible(her idea of sensible is a Ford Taurus :( )." My sister-in-law came back with, "Is she single? Does she have any kids? Let her get what she wants." I don't always agree with my sister-in-law, but that comment I did. :)"

What do kids have to do with it again? Every Saturday, I smile when the bald guy at the bottom of my street goes by with the bald baby in the back of the topless jeep! It is priceless. They are both smiling and having a blast. I swear kids like rides as much as dogs.

By the way, my father in law hated jeeps when I bought mine (he worked on them in the Army in 1952, and thought that is still what they are like). Anyhow, when I had shoulder surgery in April, I let him borrow it for a month. I think his opinion has changed. He is 67.
    Just wondering what to do about peeling grey paint on steel wheels of my 1997 Sport. Will any grey paint work?

Also, what about the mirror brackets? It seems to be some sort of white metal (zinc?) underneath, but I don't like the look of the metal, so want to paint it black. I might just use some rustoleum.

comments? ideas?
    "...Went to Sahara State Park here in Oklahoma and actually wondered if a auto might have be better. While climbing a few of the large sand dunes (upto 75 feet), I would be in 4 low in fourth gear doing about 25 mph and a couldn't make the top without having to shift down."

Why not use 4Hi in sand?

"Without shifting I would stall and when I tried to shift I would stop my ascent. I think with an auto, it would have shifted for me and given me a chance."

Or, how about shifting earlier?
    You are in your mid 30's, and your mother is still telling you what to do? Do you still live with her? I mean, my mom tells me what to do sometimes too, but that doesn't mean you have do do it!

;-)
    "I have the opportunity to purchase a set of black 1/2 doors for pretty cheap. How difficult / expensive will it be to paint them to match my '02 solar yellow sport?"

Get the doors. Don't paint them. Name the Jeep "Bumblebee"!
  • jag28jag28 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the P0455 error code means for a 2001?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    P-0455: EVAP LEAK MONITOR LARGE LEAK DETECTED
    Large (gross) leak detected in the evaporative purge system.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

EVAP system hoses or wiring damaged
    EVAP system component leaking
    Leak detection pump leaking

Check for a bad hose or connector. Can also be triggered by a loose or faulty gas cap.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I still am planning on getting the Jeep and yes annonymous, I do still live with my parents at 38...it helps defray the cost of school and the HIGH cost of the apartment/housing market here. After the rough year I've had with losing aunts and an uncle, it's good to get my mind on nicer things...like getting that Jeep.

Again, thanks to all it's late so I'll make a longer post next time :)

dwrangler

oh...Hug your Jeeps for me ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    95,000 Jeep Wranglers from the 2001 and 2002 model years are being recalled. Water or other impurities can get into the ignition switch and cause a short circuit, possibly leading to fire.

link (scroll to the bottom of the story)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    I sure do remember Jan & Dean. My neighbor claims to have dated one of them.
    How 'bout Flo & Eddie?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Living with your folks sounds much better than someone I knew a few years ago. She was on an ice hockey team with me and was financing her pre-med college by topless dancing. Only had to work one night a week to make as much as I did in 4 full days...

jayorion - Off hand I don't remember Flo & Eddie (but sounds familiar) - I think I'm lucky to remember Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys (I always liked Jan & Dean better, probably because I lived in Pasadena). All those jokes about forgetting things as you get older aren't funny because they are SO TRUE!
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I got that recall done..on 4-15-02..
    it takes a while for them to do it..about 2 hours for me. Plus there is another recall out.
    The disign of the intake and exhaust manifold could allow debris to accumulate at the #3 cylinder location. Ive looked on mine, few leaves & dead bugs is all I saw.
    WOW tsjay, u are a old man arent ya. About time to fine that retirement home for ya. LOL!!
    Gonna give TAZZ a complete detail wash today.
    so he can shine like a new penny.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BamaTazz
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I am confused, you mentioned your friend only had to work one night to make as much as you did in 4 full days. Did you mean you were also a topless dancer that worked days, but didn't make as much as your friend?

Just curious:-)
    We have a water ban where I live, no washing of cars, YET the wrangler owner manual says no car washes.

What to do? Maybe I need a snorkel after all?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Do they have the brushless car washes were you live? With the jets? I've taken my Wrangler through those with no problems, the soft top keeps the water out just fine. When I have the hard top on, I have also used the ones with the brushes, though I don't think they do a very good job and they take the wax off prematurely.
    LOL! Why am I not surprised you would make that comment? Gotta be that old military thought patterns coming out... Actually, I think at that time I was a contract worker working as a configuration analyst at an aerospace company. A very impressive way of saying that I was a temp who kept track of changes to assembly drawings...

anonymous02 - I figure that the car washes aren't any harder on my paint job than the trees and brush I habitually drive through, so I do the car wash thing. The one I go to happens to be brushless, and they usually do a good job (though not always, especially if it is REALLY dirty).
  • tjx02tjx02 Member Posts: 13
    What do you guys use to wash the softtop? I was thinking tire brush or similar would be ideal on the canvas. Any other ideas? And DWrangler, I was 35 when i bought Jake.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I have posted just a couple of pics from my last wheelin' trip in the Jeep Owners Photo Gallery here in edmunds.

I have posted several more at Gill's web site, where these pics are hosted on his server.

I let a guy riding shotgun in another Jeep have my camera and asked him to just shoot the whole roll. He did a great job, but I should have brought more film, since he shot the last frame before we even got to the tougher terrain that we went through that day. All of these shots are in some pretty easy terrain.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Great looking pictures! Looks like great fun! Sort of wish our area looked more like that, rather than the brown, water starved, grass and dusty grey-green of chaparral and pinon pines who are so draught resistent.

This summer we are (hopefully) heading for the state of Washington with the Wrangler. If someone knows of some interesting trails for a stock Wrangler, email me with details. We'll be staying near Bellingham.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    dwrangler:
    I had just turned 29 the week before I bought my Jeep. I partially wanted to get one because I felt it would be my last chance to get such a fun, "non-economy" vehicle. But now that I've had it for 14 months, it's hard to imagine getting anything else when the time comes to sell or trade-in, at which point I'll be 34!

anonymous02:
    I have a hard top and I try to wash my Jeep at least once every 2 weeks, sometimes more often, with a "30 Minute Express Hand Wax" every 3rd or 4th wash. I take it to a "100% Hand Wash" in Sherman Oaks (a suburb of Los Angeles located in the - oh m'god! - San Fernando Valley). It's the only car wash I've ever gone to, partly because I've heard they're good and Shaquille O'Neal goes there (Go Lakers!), but mainly because nothing but hands ever touch the Jeep. There are no brushes or rollers, just a couple guys walking alongside the Jeep lathering it up by hand and using spray jet guns to get gunk off the grill and wheels. I must admit, I'm proud to say that although I park it on the street and there are a couple tiny paint nicks here and there, for the most part my Jeep looks fantastic - nearly as new as the day I got it.

redkey:
    I'd be interested in knowing how much you spent on those 1/2 doors. That's the one accessory I'd like to get for my Jeep - I just love the way 1/2 doors look, but they don't work with my hard top, which I have on most of the time. And let us know how much the paint job is when you find out - I have the same situation, I'd probably buy in black and then have to paint them Solar Yellow.

yellowman
    I have posted a new pic of Thelma Jane in the photo gallery here. This one shows her with her new Sun Performance rocker guards, which I installed Monday.

Tom

Yeah, one thing we have around here is "green." We also have about 100% humidity to go along with 95° F temperatures in the summer! I would gladly move out west to get away from that. Besides, although we have some hills, I LOVE the mountains.

I wish I could make a living somewhere in or very near the Rockies. How far from the Sierras are you? I like them too.

Tom

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey there

I know mtngal and I live in the same area - one great thing about LA is the variety of environments available. Within one day, you can travel from a mountaintop to the beach. Sure there's cityscapes and smog, but it's one of the few places where you can go surfing and snowboarding in the same day! About the only thing you don't have are the changing color of treeleaves.

In any case, it's a great opportunity to enjoy different scenery as you drive (or off-road) your Jeep!

yellowman
  • desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    Well, it's finally happened. Yup, that's right, my tj got wet My wife and I went to the movies to enjoy ourselves and with the hot weather and clear skys, so I decided to take the top down. Well, what do we see when we leave the theater? But pouring rain, thunder, and lightning. So we got into our soaked jeep, put the top back up for "some" protection, and drove home. Suffice it to say, it has been an interesting day. I really hope everything dries like everyone says!! :-)... laters

des'
    Bummer, man! Like you said, hope there's no real damage done. That has to happen to people a lot, you would think, so maybe the Jeeps can just take it and laugh it off.

I sure wouldn't want that to happen to Thelma Jane, but she could probably take it OK.

Tom

I know you will all want to join me in wishing me a Happy Birthday tomorrow, June 2. :)

I will be 53! ANCIENT! OVER THE HILL! OLDER THAN DIRT!

If I didn't have Thelma Jane to keep me young, I would probably be dead by now.

Tom

• lovejoylovejoy Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone...this is my first post on the wrangler board. And I already feel like I am gonna be part of a family..I love the wrangler...and now as I have 3 payments on my first car (neon) I am ready to get some real wheels..I just got laid off and thought this is a good a time as any...I just wanna go for it...the summer is around the corner so lets party..

But I need help or advice rather. What accessories are a must and whats not. I was thinking about a hardtop and soft...is that necessary? What are the half doors...do they come with either....

Glad to be a almost jeep owner!

Scott
    Welcome! Let me suggest that you spend some time reading a LOT of the old posts in here.

You ought to get a real good idea about some things if you do.

I would say that should be a must for you, before you spend the bucks. I hung around in here for months before ordering my Jeep, and it sure helped me decide on what to get.

Before someone tells you what is a "must" as far as options, they would need to know what you plan on doing with the Jeep. Will it be a daily driver, will you go wheelin' with it, etc. ?

Tell us more about your needs, and we will be glad to suggest the options that we think would be appropriate.

Feel free to email me with any questions, and take a look at my Jeep's web page. I have the story of my purchase experience on that web page.

Here's the web page http://www.members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

And here's my email

tjoh298765@aol.com

Post another message and tell us more about your intended use for the Jeep, Scott, and I am sure you will get lots of good suggestions.

Once again, welcome!

Tom

Happy birthday Tom. This is all you get since I am to cheap to buy an ecard.

I hope you get lots of neat presents.
    I agree with Tom, I lurked here for a long time. I also used Edmunds to build my Jeep with various equipment and did that about a million times. After the builds I started looking at dealer sites on the net and even did some window shopping at different lots. I also bought every magazine I could find that looked like it might have a Jeep article.

What ever you get, I am willing to bet that it will be more fun than a Neon. Bet the Neon will get better gas mileage.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In case you haven't signed up already, AARP has a long list of senior discounts available. It may even be possible to get a disount on a Jeep! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

Thanks! I'll have to check into that. :)

I thought you were going to give me a free month's subscription to the Edmunds Town Hall Jeep Owners Club for my birthday?

Tom

well happy birthday pal.
    Hope you have a great day..
    Is Tidester saying your a senior citizen now?

U get the free coffee at mcdonalds now.

Keep Jeepin
    bama
    Thanks. Wish all of my Jeep buddies could gather together with me for our own little Jamboree! We could have a heck of a birthday party.

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Tom, the rocker guards look great. One of those things you'll be glad you have when you need them! Drilling that first hole is always the hardest! Great pics from Turkey Bay. Make sure your camera guy gets the tough stuff next time so we'll know what we're in for when we come to wheel with you. My new tires shoudl be in next week, so hopefully I can get them swapped out next Friday!

-twylie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I thought you were going to give me a free month's subscription to the Edmunds Town Hall Jeep Owners Club for my birthday?

I tried to do that but I was reminded by management that a month long subscription is inconsistent with your birthday lasting only one day! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • gstone3gstone3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with the exhust manifold cracking on the 4.8 litre engine. Mine cracked between the split downpipes and must be replaced. OEM cost for the header is $586. Found one at 4 Wheel Drive for $249. This will be a pain to install. Wonder if it is a common problem. Thanks
  • gstone3gstone3 Member Posts: 3
    Meant 4.0 litre engine.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    This is a very common occurance on the early TJ's. Your solution is also a common one for people that need to replace the manifold a second or third time. I think a few other members have been through this recently.

-twylie
    I wonder if there might be a chance of getting DC to fix that for you, even though the Jeep is way past warranty. This was a known defect in the 97's, and I wonder if there was a recall on that?

Hey, couldn't hurt to try, could it?

Tom

• quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    Hi guys. Though I've been following this thread for a few weeks now as I contemplate the purchase of a Wrangler Sport, this is my first post. When I got my driver's license in 1980, I regularly drove my dad's '76 CJ-7. I think the options package was called Wrangler then. It had the V-8 (was it a 302? 306? I can't recall) and the Levi's denim seat and trim package (sorry if that's offensive--I've seen reference to a Levi's boycott, but I don't understand the reason for it). Midway through my high school senior year he bought me a '76 Honda Civic. How's that for a step down? I haven't driven a Jeep since then.

OK, sorry to ramble. I currently own an '01 Mazda Tribute, and I love it. However, my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) liked my Tribute so much that she bought an '02. Since we'll still have a Trib in the family, I've had a rapidly growing desire to have a Wrangler. I had a Miata a few years ago and loved the top down experience and the nimble performance, but couldn't live with only one passenger capability and a glove box for a trunk. My thinking is that with the Wrangler I've got the fun of driving a Miata along with 3-passenger capacity and 4-wheel capability.

Didn't I apologize earlier for rambling? OK. Here's my first question. I thought I wanted ABS, but the saleman I spoke with yesterday said that if I'm going to be doing any off-road driving, the ABS acts funny when the suspension is articulating in 4WD, and that I would find the std brakes are preferable. What's the scoop here? Thx in advance.

Larry
    I don't know about what the salesman told you, but he may very well be right.

What I HAVE heard from more than one source is that ABS is not good if you ever put bigger tires on your Jeep.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe the ABS precludes the Dana 44 rear end, and if you think you will be going to bigger tires or doing much offroading, the Dana 44 would be the better rear end for you. It is much beefier than the Dana 35, and I have read many posts in other Jeep bulletin boards where people are kicking themselves for not getting the Dana 44.

I am new at Jeeping and especially new at offroading, so I am not an expert by any means. I am just passing along what I have heard. It seems that in offroad situations where the tires are spinning and then all of a sudden they catch, the torque can break the axle much more easily with the Dana 35 as compared to the Dana 44. This is especially true with oversize tires (33" or bigger).

Welcome to the board, and I'm glad you finally decided to post. Be a frequent poster now!

Tom

• quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info, Tom. While it is my intention to get the 30" tire and wheel group, I hope--somewhere down the line--to put on a 2.5" lift and go up to 31 or maybe 32" tires, but I don't think I'll go over 32. As I learn more, though, I may decide to go bigger. Who knows? Also, because I didn't plan to go over 32, I had no preference on the Dana 35 vs. the 44, but now you have me leaning toward the 44.

I really am not sure how rugged I'll need the Wrangler to be. I live in the middle of Houston, and may not have the opportunity to do much 4-wheeling more than a few times a year. It is my dream to retire to the Rockies, though (gooooo stock portfolio!!), and I have a buddy at work who promises to take me off-roading at some places he knows a ways outside of town. There is also the occasional tropical storm/hurricane to consider.
    It's one of those things that you won't ever regret, if you go with the 44. It's sorta like the 4.0 L vs the four banger. You never hear anyone that got the 4.0 L wishing that they had gotten the 2.5 L four cylinder, but you frequently hear people with the four banger wishing that they had gone with the six.

The thing about these Jeeps is that you have to plan for all eventualities, and it is much cheaper to get things that you can build on. That way you don't have to go back and pay for something to be changed out that you could have gotten to start with.

I never thought that I would be taking my Thelma Jane offroad, but I have the bug big time now. I am VERY glad that I got the D 44!

I hope to have something bigger than my current 31" tires some day, and I have the rear end to support that in the Dana 44. (Of course, you still need to re-gear if you go to 33s or bigger, and that ain't cheap, but you have the rear end that you need with the D 44.)

Hope this helps, and PLEASE keep us posted on your Jeep shopping.

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Happy Birthday Tom! You didn't tell us what your Jeep presents would be. Now is the perfect excuse to splurge (as if you haven't already) :)
    Scott and Larry, Tom and Toad said it best, go back and read the past posts here. I did that as well and it helped answer alot of questions I had. Still, I made a mistake thinking that the 4 cylinder would be fine for me. There are a lot of hills in my area and the 4 banger struggled. Lesson learned the hard way, I traded in for the 6 cylinder 5 speed. It makes a world of difference. That's not to say 4 bangers are a bad purchase for those with a tight budget, it's still a Jeep! Make sure to test drive. We'd be happy to help.
    Deb, did you make any decisions about options yet? Honestly, I think it would best for you to go light on the options and build it on your own as you can afford. The steering group (tilt leather wrapped steering wheel) is a waste of money in my opinion. Let us know.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I was driving home to San Diego from LA last night and my Jeep started coughing and stalling in North San Diego county. I have no idea what is wrong--it wasn't overheating and the oil pressure was fine, I don't believe it's electrical, but the short version of the story is it died it on me & the check engine light came on. After letting it sit for a while, it started up fine, but then died again several minutes later. I probably shouldn't have done this, but I drove it the rest of the way home doing this. It took a few hours. It would run fine for a few minutes, then die again. In hindsight I should have had it towed, though that would have been pretty expensive to tow it all the way to San Diego, and still would have left me with no way to get home. I don't think I did any lasting damage to the Jeep since it was running fine (in spurts) and not overheating, etc.

My best guess is some sort of exhaust system problem, that it isn't able to vent exhaust fumes properly. I had a truck when I was younger that had a catalytic converter that would back up a lot and this reminds me of that problem. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

I am bummed. My Jeep (1998 Sport) has only 42K miles on it and I maintain it religiously. The only problem I've had in over 4 years of ownership is the "dead gauges" item that others here have encountered and it was fixed promptly under recall.
    BUMMER! Hope it turns out to be something simple and not serious. Be sure to let us know, OK?

Tom

Larry,
    I feel the same way about getting everything now not paying for it later (shoulda, woulda, coulda) Get what u can afford.. I belive the DANA 44 is better in the long run. My Jeep doesnt have it but then I dont plan on off-roading.
    On ABS..ive never really liked ABS anyway. Im glad not to have it. You do get a better Insurance rate if you do have it.

Well, Tazz past the 9000 mile mark today.
    Im doing good had him for a year on June 14, Im well below average.

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
    Took her top and her doors off today for the first time this year. Man, it's almost too hot for that here, though. It was over 90° here today, which is unusual for this early in the summer season. (OK, it's still spring, but it sure felt like summer out there today.)

Tom