Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You're suggesting extraordinary measures, at least in my mind, to avoid having the transmission shift out of lockup. Basically your suggestion leaves the engine/transmission system operating on the "cusp", somewhere very near needing to unlock the torque convertor, but not quite, the twilight zone as it were.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    When driving on the interstate, haven't you ever seen people who slow down going up a hill and speed back up going down the hill? I drive with cruise control myself and let the transmission do its thing. But I know plenty of people who think "transmission hunt" is very annoying. So they drive without cruise. And while they may drive pretty close to a constant 75mph on flat stretches, they go about 70mph uphill and 80 downhill. And these drivers and I then play leapfrog for miles as my vehicle goes a constant 75mph with cruise. Whichever way one chooses to drive, the automatic transmission will take care of itself. It will lock/unlock the torque converter or downshift out of overdrive as necessary. With manual transmissions, the driver needs to shift to keep the engine from lugging. The Sienna has a very tall 5th gear to give good gas mileage. This tall gearing will cause the transmission to be busy when driving through hilly terrain at highway speeds.
    No, not many of those old under-powered VW bugs or busses around anymore.
  • trevor2trevor2 Member Posts: 1
    My local dealer has offered me no solution. Here goes:

I have to hold down the remote opener for about 3 seconds before the rear sliding doors will open. Other Sienna's of friends open quicker which I prefer. The dealer tells me my doors open normally and cannot be changed.

More importantly is the reverse opening when the doors bumps into someone/something. I have found that in many instances, the door requires a lot (too much) of pressure before it will reverse. If this is meant to be a safety feature, the door will surely crush a small child before reversing open. My dealer looked at it, tested it by standing in the doorway (all 200lbs of him) and said it was operating normally and that it cannot be adjusted.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    You need to find a new dealer to work with. He sounds like the same person that told me the wind whistle in my old Plymouth Voyager was "normal". Although the others didn't do it.

Same Service Depts can be so pathetic. Quality service is cheaper in the long run than shoddy service but some just don't understand that.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    Yes I have. It happens a lot. The majority of times it is the eighteen wheelers though, who go 85 to 90 downhill and 65 uphill. But, when I can I let my "automatic" do its job. The Sienna keeps a very preccise speed.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Joeb24,

WHy don't you just get a steel wheel for the spare?
  • doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    Hi all:

A question about the accuracy of the NAV: My wife has a 04 Lexus RX330 and we just bought a 05 Sienna Ltd with NAV. If we enter a destination address in the NAV, it doesn't quite guide you to the door. It says you have arrived at the destination even 100 or 200 yards before the actual address. We went to a party last night and had to spent a few minutes looking for the house in darkness after the NAV announced we had arrived. This happens with both the Lexus and the Sienna. All the time when we arrived at destinations, the weather was good and we weren't in someplace that had bad satelite reception. My old portable Garmin Street Pilot had beeter accuracy. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Douglas
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    Well, I bit-the-bullet and bought a full-size runflat tire (Bridgestone B380 run flat (P225/60R17 98T) for use as a 5th tire for my 2005 Sienna XLE AWD. I found a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer who had 5. These tires are expensive and seem to be hard to find in northern VA area; they are on back order until mid January on TireRack. I will also be getting an original-equipment, 17 inch alloy wheel (also expensive) to mount the tire on. My 3rd row seat is down most of the time, so I will have no problem storing this tire. When the 3rd row seat is up, I will carry this tire in the well behind the seat. I plan to include this tire in the tire rotation to get more mileage out of this original set. I understand I should not expect to get too many miles on these tires. This solution is expensive, but I will have piece of mind when traveling. This is probably not a practical solution if you keep the 3rd row seat up most of the time, since the tire will occupy quite a bit of space in the well behind the seat. Maybe using a roof top carrier is another option. I am thinking that I can use a set of five, less expensive, conventional tires when it comes time to replace these runflats. I assume I can find conventional tires that will be compatible with this vehicle.
  • recio3recio3 Member Posts: 2
    bought it sat Dec. 4 broke down for the first time Sunday Dec 5 then the second time Thurs Dec 9 they towed it in saying it must be something little and easy to fix they said don't worry!they ended up ordering a fuel pump thy said it was a fluke thing they had never seen anything like this ever happen they put me in a rental on day 6 without my brand new van they called to say it was fixed and on its way to be detailed 3 hours went by and i hadn't received a call to pick it up i called them and found out it broke again! they had finally given up on my poor van. they unwound me from my contract but did nothing to compensate me for my loss they were rude in saying that they had lost to much money on my deal already and to order me a new one would cost even more needless to say i bought a honda instead thanks for letting me vent i wish you all luck
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    I just noticed that my 2005 Sienna XLE AWD model does not have a TRAC OFF button on the dash below and to the right of the steering wheel column. I looked in the manual, which describes the use of this button (to turn the traction control system off) for the 2-wheel drive Siennas. For the AWD Siennas, the manual writeup makes no mention of this button. I wonder why there is no capability to turn the traction control system off in the AWD Sienna?
    The Trac system IS your AWD system, turn it off, no AWD.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Just had the seat heaters fixed. I did not notice the problem until i started using the heaters more often.

They work great now!

Toyota Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 6

AC005-04

Title:

SEAT HEATER ONLY WORKS ON HIGH

Models:

’04 Sienna

Technical Service

BULLETIN

September 20, 2004

Some 2004 model year Sienna vehicles may experience a concern where the driver and

passenger seat heaters do not operate until the temperature control switch is turned to

the high position. The following repair procedure has been made available to correct

this concern.
  • joeyalphabetjoeyalphabet Member Posts: 1
    Very sorry to hear about your terrible experience with your new Sienna. I am curious if the MORONS at the TOYOTA Dealer who had helped you informed you that there had been a RECALL ON 5000 Siennas? Relating specifically to the Fuel pump and the Fuel Tank. The problem should not have been unfamiliar to them and in turn you, but something tells me that there is a whole in their info. hwy.... Sorry you had trouble. Even more surprising is that they LET you OUT of your contract. But good for you.

joeyalphabet

Happy Holidays
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    I know there is a "Post your MPG" area, but I would like to hear of possible solution to a poor MPG on an '04 Sienna XLE Ltd. Is it possible that the tranny isn't getting into high gear? What should the RPM be at say 60 MPH? Any possible sensor problems? Any and all suggestions most welcome. Same drivers and conditions as on 2000 Sienna.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    approximately 1800rpm at 60mph in 5th gear
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    after pushing the button to raise the power hatch it goes up and then comes down right away there seems to be no block age but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?? the side doors are working and we are not experiencing any other problems that I know of. Any help is appricated thanks and Happy holidays!!
  • lextownlextown Member Posts: 3
    Driving through a parking lot yesterday, traction control came on as I accelerated. Parking lot was wet. Engine died, and will NOT re-start.

It is not getting fuel. Will turn over and run for 1 or 2 sec., then quits. Will continue to run as long as you stand in front and feed it starter fluid.

It is cold here, 10-30 defrees F, so I added 24 oz. of gasline anti-freeze. No help either. Can't get it to a dealer until Monday. Seems like a computer signal or something related to VSC, will not send gas to the carbuerator. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks.
    The new emissions standards requires the gas cap to be sealed such that the tank will build a light vacuum. If the vacuum control valve in the gas cap is frozen shut the fuel pump will not be able to suck fuel from the tank....
  • lextownlextown Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it still will not run. Any other thoughts on it would be appreciated. Happy Holidays!
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Refer to #1200 above?
  • tsntsn Member Posts: 2
    We have an XLE Ltd, '04. With the factory-installed DVD, is it always necessary to reach back into the vehicle and turn on the DVD player to restart the movie after the engine has been turned off and on again? Is there any way to actually activite the DVD from the dash? (Actually, we find there are many features of the DVD that can only be activited from the DVD player itself, not from the dash. Is this correct?) Also, is there anyway to have the DVD put in the "CD" player behind the NAV up front and broadcast it to the DVD player in the back (as opposed to having to reach back and put it in the machine in the back?) Thanks.
  • samrus1samrus1 Member Posts: 11
    I have the same questions about using Synthetic Oil. Also what should be the intervals for my first oil change? Thanks.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    You can control a lot of the functions of the DVD player via "softkeys" on the NAV screen after inserting the DVD and hitting the disk key twice to display the DVD video on the NAV screen. You still have to put the DVD in the player overhead and hit the "DVD" button on the remote to turn the screen on, but you can do everything else from the NAV screen. However, unless you've made the "DVD anytime" modification (which consists of interrupting the vehicle speed sensor wire and grounding the parking brake wire), you'll only be able to control it while the vehicle is stopped and the parking brake is on. The "big" Sienna forum has directions on how to enable it.
  • rebecca4rebecca4 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Michigan and it is COLD! I own a 2004 Sienna. I have noticed that when ever we travel for any extended time that the passenger side window gets a layer of frost on the inside. It is the window next to the second row. I cannot get rid of it? It is the only window in the vechile like this at the time. Any solutions out there or similar problems?
  • cheapmancheapman Member Posts: 11
    Hi

i have the same problem trying to see the dvd in the nav scree but have not been able to figure out yet also the "big" sienna forum is to big to find can you please tell me the forun number
    does anybody has a problem with the 05 ltd sienna pulling right? tire pressure is the same in all 4 tires .
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I was wondering why I was constantly dialing up my heated seat to the highest position. I called my dealer and, sure enough, my VIN is eligible for TSB #AC005-04. Dealer says wiring harness repair is required. I'm the first one they've encountered, and they 'need to order the tool.' No parts required, apparently.
    does anybody know why the mileage on the odometer since i bought now has 150 miles and the mileage on the rear view mirror show 340 any ideas/thanks for the input
    when the dealer fixed mine, it stated they replaced some parts on my sales receipt order.

In fact, on the day i had scheduled this dealer to do the work they told me to come back because they had to order the parts, and just to confirm that i had the problem.
    i think your confusing this to mean milage driven, rather than mile you have left before the tank goes empty.

hope that helps
    Here's a link that's not from the forum to prevent Edmunds problems: http://www.rocoto.com/siennamods/dvd_mod.html

This only works on 04s. 05s have a different setup and I'm not sure what you have to do with them.
  • photogeekphotogeek Member Posts: 10
    my sienna was purchesed on 12/16. on 12/27 with just 295 miles on it the transmission died and the brakes buzz when the anti lock kicks in. the dealer at this point refuses to refund me or cancel the contract. HELP!!!!!
    please tell me how you got more information
    thanks for the information now i know what it means
  • xiaomingxiaoming Member Posts: 9
    the head lights will be shut off automatically after you turn off the engine and unplug the key in minutes. if this was not happened on your van then there shall be a problem.

you must be sure the key was un-pluged after you left, otherwise, even though you turned off the headlights the battery still will be run out. i experienced this before with my 04 sienna.
    my sienna was purchesed on 12/16. on 12/27 with just 295 miles on it the transmission died and the brakes buzz when the anti lock kicks in. the dealer at this point refuses to refund me or cancel the contract. HELP!!!!!
  • tsntsn Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help. i tried this and you are right. i still find the pressing of the "dvd" button on the remote to be really un-user friendly but otherwise things are better with this information.
    I'm not sure what Toyota was thinking when they designed the DVD system. Between that and the need to get rid of that stupid reminder screen, it's not an easy system to use.
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    Had my bun warmers fixed today. The "special tool" is nothing more than a pin straightener for the harness. It appears Robby Robot jammed the connections together with the pins missing the holes so no connection. Once the pins were in the holes, heat happened at all settings.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Do you know exactly where this harness is, and if it's a job I can do myself?

I get tired of my vehicles always coming back from their respective dealerships with black fingerprints everywhere.....
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    Wish I could help you out. I have wiring diagrams from Japan I will peruse. If your service people can't keep the car clean, talk to the store owner or drop Toyota USA an email.
  • xiaomingxiaoming Member Posts: 9
    I never met the problem as you described. But as we all live in the north so your Sienna might have the other potential problems as same as they are found here in Canada, i.e. the leak of coolant caused by the radiator and the lost of power steering hose connection. Call Toyota dealer and you can book the good will services.
  • passat1.8tpassat1.8t Member Posts: 8
    For those who have the hesitation problem with their V6/transmissions....

was this problem always there from day 1 of purchase or did this problem develop after some period of time had past?
  • car4youcar4you Member Posts: 36
    My wife was in a car accident today with our 04 Sienna. Everyone was ok. A chevy SUV hit the car. The damage was to the passenger side bumper and rear panels. The power sliding door still works. I am wondering if I should take it to the body shop that the car insurance company deals with or to the Toyota dealer? Any suggestion or question to ask the adjuster? Thanks
  • yankeebuddyyankeebuddy Member Posts: 2
    The front tires on my 2004 Sienna AWD are Dunlops and are pretty bald after 20k. Did you talk to anyone at Toyota? How can you use a tire that is not the exact same size?
  • vandrv04vandrv04 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have this problem. After snow melts on the top of van, it drips into the sliding doors and freezes. Thoughts or solutions?
    1 can of Silicone spray.

Lightly coat the door seals.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    It all depends on if you know a really good body shop . I would see if someone you knew had any body work done before not going to the dealership and how much insurance is going to cover the dealership is ALWAYS more money and if you are paying out of pocket it could get costly . i was hit in my chevy SUV before i had my van and the chevy dealer wanted alot of money to fix the door , front panel and running boards. as the body shop was a little cheaper and did a wonderful job. when i turned it in nobody could tell the work was done.
This discussion has been closed.