Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The other thing you can try is to take the transmission out of overdrive manually while the cruise control is still engaged to see if that works.

Ken
  • cray19cray19 Member Posts: 1
    My '05 Sienna LE also has gear whine at 60-65 mph and at 70 mph. It sounds kind of serious since my van only has 3200 miles. I will have it checked next week when I am in for the first oil change. Thanks for the heads up, ageezer, I will post my findings.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    I do not believe you could solve this by shifting to 4th as has been suggested . The owners manual (p.192) states that this will not cancel cruise control. Evidently the control will seek the gear it feels is correct regardless. The manual also states that "on steeper hills" there will be a dramatic change in speed and "so it is better to drive without cruise control" (p.190). I have a front wheel LE and often use the cruise control on Interstate 90 in Mass. which is easily graded. I have never noticed any of the gear shifting you describe. Also the control will not really function properly under 40mph
  • katie8katie8 Member Posts: 2
    Still waiting for someone knowledgeable to tell me if they know what causes my brakes to screech when coming to a stop. I've had them checked and they tell me the brakes are fine. I have a 2002 Sienna. When checking them we told them to clean them, so it shouldn't be dust and grime causing it. Would new brakes pads help? Anybody know?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    if you lightly chamfer the leading and trailing edges of new brake pads before installation that often prevents brake squeal. Also most new pads come with an anti-squeal dampening plate, backinmg pad/plate, and you can buy rubber "gue", red color plastic bottle, at an auto store to apply to the backing pad, squeal dampener, that will help.
  • thegagethegage Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like normal operation to me, too. The Cruise Control's job is to maintain a steady speed. And while the engine is relatively powerful, the Siena weighs in at over two tons, so it's not going to take much of an incline to slow it down significantly. I've seen the same behavior with my cruise control.

John K.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I would strongly recommend for those who are having this happen on certain hills, move the shift lever into the "4" position to take it out of overdrive. The Cruise will continue to function, keeping the vehicle going the same speed, but it will stay out of overdrive, so you shouldn't have the continuious shifting. I've tried this on several of the new Sienna's here, and it works.

Ken
  • piratemanpirateman Member Posts: 18
    Clover...just out of curiosity, where did you purchase your Sienna? It wasn't Boch or Weymouth Toyota was it? E-mail me.
  • bcj0q0bcj0q0 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2004 Sienna since April 2004 and have had the full bra on ever since with no problems of any kind. Purchased from the Dealer.
  • siennaguy05siennaguy05 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Sienna Fans

Has anyone had an issue with their vans hesitating a bit to accelerate when stepping on the gas? We bought our 04 with 12k miles and this issue was the first thing I noticed about it. I've just assumed it was a normal feature, but now Im not so sure. Any suggestions?

thanks!
  • ohresohres Member Posts: 46
    My 2004 XLE Ltd AWD did the similar kick down twice lately. It was not on cruise control. The rpm went up from around 2.5k to 5.5k at around 40 mph. I guess the gear shifted either from 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 1st. It happened at a long, straight and slightly uphill PA Turnpike entrance when the vehicle was pushed moderately at a steady pace. The accelerator pedal was in the mid-span. Then it happened again on a relatively flat road under similar acceleration condition. The vehicle was never pushed hard at the time of incidence. Also noticed is that when I slow down (in order to stop) and when there is a downshift, the rpm momentarily goes up few hundred rpm and comes down (something like 700->900->700rpm at 2nd to 1st shift). It may happen when the gear shifts from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st while braking. The 2nd to 1st surge happens right before a complete stop. I am wondering if the transmission lags its disengagement or downshift such that the brakes have to work harder to overcome the extra push. Another problem is that the engine brake activates the braking unpredictably and, once engaged, it does not disengage the braking at the bottom of a hill unless I press the gas pedal hard. The transmission has been checked & updated for its code about a month ago at 10k service and I am wondering if the service has something to do with these late development. The vehicle now has about 11k on it.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I believe that is normal.
    The Siennas have an electronic throttle and it appears there is a bit of a "disconnect" before it kicks in. I've noticed the exact same thing on other 2005 cars.
  • kottkott Member Posts: 4
    i had the same problem which the dealer is supposed to fix next time- took 3 times to get them to understand it is not the blade. supposed to get a new arm for the wiper. Now the drivers sliding door wont always stay put when it is opened. no electronics on this side. Really annoying
  • kottkott Member Posts: 4
    i too have the door problems- it sometimes won't stay put. i didn't notice if it only does it with the window down. I dont have to be on a hill for it to happen-it is just more annoying. My dealer is the pits- i doubt this will be an easy fix
    The Sienna is designed such that the slide doors will only open approximately half way with the side window down to prevent a child from sticking their head out the window and getting it pinched.
    Since the door will only open halfway, it will not reach its end stop so it will not latch open.
    This makes sense to me unless you want to injure your child.
    This is a problem on many of the earlier Siennas. There is a tsb on this from Toyota. I believe that "fix" is to enter a refiined code into the computer that improves shifting. If Alldata would ever get around to compiling the 04 tsbs for Toyota you could buy the whole series of tsbs on this new-year-model car and be sure.
    Hey, I tried this when going up a lot of hills this weekend. It worked nice.
    Hi Katie,
    Your post is in the wrong forum. This is the 2004 + Sienna forum. The 2004s and up are ENTIRELY different machines and so it is unlikely the owners on this site will be able to identify your problem. I 've heard about a rear brake squeal in the pre-2004 Siennas, so your not alone. Try the the pre-2004 Sienna forum. Good luck
  • cingycingy Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same issue with the doors and have initiated a lemon law arbitration in Vermont. How did your case go? Did you receive a replacement vehicle or money? Did you use an attorney? I was told that I needed to present evidence showing how the door issue is related to use, market value or safety or a combination of the three. How do I find out how the door issue effects the market value of the car?

Your help is appreciated.

Karen
  • jelhz43njelhz43n Member Posts: 44
    katie8,
    Go to Toyota Sienna Problems & Solutions (2003 and earlier)
    and search for "Rear Brake" , you will get tons of posting.
    You may go to message#2852 posted by me about this problem. There is TSB for it.

John
  • baguilarbaguilar Member Posts: 1
    I own a White 2004 Toyota Sienna I noticed it had small rust spots on the back bumber, front hood and along the side beams. I went to toyota with this and they tried to buff them out 3 times to no avail. I even called Toyota headquarters and have been getting the runaround. Does anybody else have this problem??? I have gotten emails from 3 other people with the same problems on different toyota's all white in color. I'm wondering if this might be a paint deffect....
  • cingycingy Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car in july, 2004. In August, 2004 I brought it in for creaky manual sliding doors. It has been in 7 times and the issue still exists to the point of distraction.
    I have initiated a lemon law arbitration in Vermont. If anyone else tried to get a replacement vehicle through their state's lemon law for this same reason, please let me know!!! How did your case go? Did you receive a replacement vehicle or money? Did you use an attorney? I was told that I needed to present evidence showing how the door issue is related to use, market value or safety or a combination of the three. How do I find out how the door issue effects the market value of the car?

Your help is appreciated.

Karen
    Karen, I don't know how generous Vermont's lemon is, but I would be surprised if they would call a car a lemon over a "creaky door". At best you might get some partial compensation if your lemon law works that way. In Mass. I believe a car has to have a major defect that significantly effects performance or safety. Squeaks would not qualify down here. For example, I had a brand new Corrola that got 12 miles to the gallon. Toyota refused, flat out refused to address this issue. The Attorney General's consumer protection people would not invoke the lemon law over mileage - period! In short, you can have a car that is clearly defective (Corollas are rated for 28mpg in the city) and the Lemon law may not help you. I got lucky and found a dealer who fixed my problem as part of a TSB involving replacing the catalytic converter. Before you go any further you might have some one who is familiar with Vermont's lemon law go over your alternatives. It may pay to consult an attorney that has expertise in this area of law.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Don't know about the lemon law. I'm just replying b/c on another board someone mentioned having squeaky doors from dust kicking up into the mechanism. Something like from having an unpaved driveway or something. Said he needed to hose down the mechanism and apply something like WD-40 pretty regularly. Have you tried this?
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    on at once . Cleaned the van today JUST with the vacume and after starting it all three lights on at once. Any idea what it is ?? Going to OHIO from NYC on Monday so i need to go to service Tomm. Hope they will take me calling at 7 AM as soon as they open this really sucks !!!! :cry: . I just hope it is something small . I was thinking the eng light might be the new gas my hubby put in it on sunday. I hope not but it could be .as for the other two lights the trac. off button works I tested it by shutting the car off and then pushing the button the light goes on and off by it's self using the button and the VSC light I just don't know. Will let all know what happens in the morning. :sick:
    Yep. I bet you somehow disconnected the yaw sensor under the right front passenger seat.
    You should see a black sensor mounted to a gold mounting plate. There should be a connector that goes into the sensor.
    Take a look and see if you somehow managed to disconnect it.
    Wiggle it around and see if the lights go out.
    Well wouldn't you know service says they will take me and i run to go get there and guess what ??? ALL the lights are off when i started the van this morning. :mad: So annoyed that I took it in anyway just to make sure everything is OK . Like i said we are going from NYC to Ohio on monday and with three kids in the car don't want any problems . NOW isn't that strange??
    Yes, it does seem strange, but the Serv Engine light could've been caused by something as simple as not tightening the gas tank cap. It happened to me on a car I owned - I don't remember whether the issue is air getting in the tank or fumes escaping, but it causes an embalance. Always turn the cap until it clicks a few times - I'd check your even if the light went out.

Don't know about the other two lights unless you (or your husband) accidentally (or purposefully) turned those features off. They're items that can be turned off but those lights appear to make sure you're aware of it. On my TL, it comes on as a bright yellow warning symbol. I really wish they didn't make them look so ominous!!!
    I just called and spoke with the service guy for like 2 sec. all I got out of him was they are keeping the van overnight :cry: and they had to order parts for it :confuse: . i hope it is fixed now before we go to ohio on monday I only have until friday to change my reservations and now I am nervous about taking the van that far with the kids in it. NOT happy and looking for answers but not getting any as of yet.
  • linuxajaylinuxajay Member Posts: 1
    I have a similiar problem with my white 2002 Camry . Rust spots on all doors and trunk-lid. Have you found a solution/fix for the problem? I am getting sleepless nights over this issue.
    Have you found a solution/fix for the problem? I am getting sleepless nights over this issue.

Try some chamomile tea!!! :P Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First of all, just as your owners manual says, anytime the engine diagnostic light(s) is on the Trac and VSC will be automatically disabled. So disregard those and figure out why the engine light came on.

Under the circumstances you describe my guess would be that someone removed the gas cap without filling the tank or putting so little gas in that the ECU couldn't detect it.

Under new EPA rules the entire fuel system MUST be kept under a vacuum, and the lack of a vacuum must be detected as a FAILURE. Obviously when you remove the cap to fill the tank the system vacuum will be lost.

But the system ECU detects that the fuel level rose in the tank and therefore ignores a temporary loss of vacuum for this cause.
    the o2 sensor . I do believe that is what he said it is listed as a toyota service bulletin . I read on another board it has happen to someone else and it appears once they fix it and re-set it it seems to work fine. After speaking with the service advisor i was assured that the van should be ready for Thursday afternoon. i do hope that the parts arrive early and it is done early in the day as with three kids and NO loaner it is getting a little crazy NO car NO place to take them !! LOL only a few weeks till school starts again!!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    c2rosa -

Is there any particular reason you felt the need to post a notice concerning recall's of Sienna's in at least 5 different threads?

BTW - the recall concerns a balky seatbelt retractor in a couple of seating positions. Apparently, occasionally, the seatbelt doesn't smoothly retract in the right hand 2nd row seat or the center 3rd row seat. B.....F....D.....

I'm sure those who have Sienna's will receive notification of this without needing you to post this all over the TownHall. If this is some attempt to disuade potential future Sienna owner's, it's pretty pathetic.

Do you have any idea of how cluttered the various boards got if EVERY recall for EVERY minivan was posted in 1/2 dozen different threads?
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Five different threads, and counting.
    A relatively minor recall--seat belt retractors--among hundreds of recalls for all makes and models--gets all that publicity.
    It would appear someone doesn't like Toyota, and wants others to feel the same way.
    Tacky?
    I think most folks would agree.
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Regarding:
    "If this is some attempt to disuade potential future Sienna owner's, it's pretty pathetic. "

No. Just passing along the information.
    Do you know whether there is a centralized internet repository containing "recall" information?
    "No. Just passing along the information."

Horse pucky.

Then why aren't you posting blast recall notices for ALL minivans? Why not just "pass along" information regarding TSB's as well? This would be MORE useful since owners are never notified by the manufacturer about TSB's. And why are you so concerned about Sienna owners? From your profile, you own a 2005 Buick Rendevous.

For Sienna owners, they'll receive notification from Toyota. That's the way recalls work. Owners don't have to rely on keeping up with threads at Edmunds to make sure they don't miss a recall. Personally, if I were a Sienna owner, I would simply have the work done at the next regular servicing. The recall is for occasionally balky SEATBELT RETRACTORS. Hardly a critical issue.

"Do you know whether there is a centralized internet repository containing "recall" information?"

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?tid=edmunds..directoryalpha.director- y..1.*

I'll save you the trouble - no, it doesn't list the seatbelt retractor recall for the Sienna. Could be for several reasons: the recall hasn't begun yet (all that has been announced is the Toyota will be issueing the recall), the announcement was just yesterday, and/or this is NOT a safety related recall.

BTW - did you know that there are currently 16 different TSB's out on your Buick? :surprise:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    " I think most folks would agree"

No they wouldn't. I don't. The recall says the belts might not fit passengers well enough to protect them in a crash. Toyota is to be sending notices to owners next month. I'm a minivan owner(MPV) with kids..I wouldn't want to wait that long to find out there is something wrong with the seatbelts.Lighten up...not everybody is out to get you. :shades:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    This may be a proper forum to post the recall notice, but not he other numerous forums that were chosen.
    "Do you know whether there is a centralized internet repository containing "recall" information?"

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Official government repository for recalls. Also includes recall summaries.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Then again, you don't speak for "most folks" jipster.
    "Most folks would agree" that blanketting all those other forums with the same TSB is just a little peculiar.
    In maybe the Problems and Solutions forum---OK,---that makes sense.
    But why all the others?
    In my opinion it was unnecessary--and it has all the earmarks of an agenda quite different from what the poster stated.
    Most folks would also agree with the "horse pucky" comment made re the claim "I was just passing along the information.".

PS:
    How many recalls are there for the Buick Rendezvous?
    I found 3 just in one 2004 model:
    1. FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    2. STORAGE LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES: HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:LOCK
    3. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
    Why don't we see these plastered all over?
    The fuel system one is really scary!!
    Relax.
    Regarding the article I sent out, it does mention (at the end), the following:
    "In August 2003, Toyota recalled more than 30,000 Sienna minivans from the 2004 model year because of concern that the fuel tank was prone to damage and could cause a fire."

That sounds like more than just a cosmetic problem.

In any case, it's not a bad thing for folks to be made aware of issues with vehicles (including Toyota's).
    If you don't like the posting, then skip it.
    Others who are scanning for information on Toyota's (and haven't yet gotten the recall notice because they don't own the vehicle - or haven't scanned yahoo.news) might be interested.
    Regarding:
    "This may be a proper forum to post the recall notice, but not he other numerous forums that were chosen. "

Are there rules on Edmunds regarding where something should be posted, and where it shouldn't?
    If so, I wasn't aware of them.
  • frank2005frank2005 Member Posts: 2
    the a/c was cool last year, but this year,the a/c doesn't work,the lamp didn't blink,I took it to dealer,they said the compressor was seized,and i need replace the compresser and clutch, i live in toronto.
    "In any case, it's not a bad thing for folks to be made aware of issues with vehicles (including Toyota's).

No, no problem with that. But when you post this notification in 5 different forums, it leads many people to believe (myself included) that you have an agenda beyond simply 'informing'.

I spend a great deal of time all over Edmund's; however, I don't recall similar shotgun blasts notifications from you regarding other vehicles and other recalls. Doesn't mean anything; obviously I don't keep up with ALL threads on ALL boards. I'm sure that, in light of how fair and unbiased you appear to be, that you HAVE posted similar multi-notifications on OTHER brands/vehicles as well. Correct?

In fact, as the owner of a Buick Rendevouz, I'm sure that (as a public service to other Buick owners), you would waste no opportunity to keep the public informed of any/all recalls and TSB's regarding YOUR vehicle. I don't imagine you could point us to any posts in which you've called attention to any Buick recalls, could you?
    Rule #1: "Stay on topic
    The Forums insist that users stay on topic. Use the Search function to find a discussion relevant to your topic."

Click on "Rules of the Road," above.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...it's been established that multiple postings across various topics is inappropriate. Time to move on and stop seeking ulterior motives.
    Regarding:
    "In fact, as the owner of a Buick Rendevouz, I'm sure that (as a public service to other Buick owners), you would waste no opportunity to keep the public informed of any/all recalls and TSB's regarding YOUR vehicle. I don't imagine you could point us to any posts in which you've called attention to any Buick recalls, could you? "

I must admit that I haven't informed others of any Rendezvous recalls.
    Fair enough.

Consider Sienna owner's fully informed now of this seatbelt recall. As the Host has pointed out, it's probably time to move on.
This discussion has been closed.