Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• chrisw05le6chrisw05le6 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Sienna LE with package #6. I am disappointed about the poor FM reception while driving. This also affects local channels.

Does anybody know a solution for this?

Maybe a different antenna, amplifier?
  • sienna05sienna05 Member Posts: 1
    I just notice the same problem with 3 week old sienna. When cruise control is on driving on highway, it pulls to the left. What shoudl I do? Any suggestions? TIA
  • dduffdduff Member Posts: 1
    Just learned from service dept. that all 4 of the "Run Flat" tires on 05' Sienna with 20k miles are "Bad" and Toyota won't replace them. Service mgr. tells me "off the record" that this has been an on going problem with these tires regardless of make. Can this be true? Car is 13mos old so falls out of 12 mo, warranty on tires. Anyone else run into this?
  • jcdayjcday Member Posts: 1
    Yes, we just replaced all four Run Flats on our '04 Sienna at ~22K miles. All four were worn evenly but almost worn down to the wear bars. We probably could have gone another 3K miles but certainly no more.

Fwiw, we replaced them with Dunlop Graspics from Tire Rack, which have worked out just fine. If the more aggressive tread creates more road noise, I can't notice it.

John
  • familycamperfamilycamper Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you that the simple air spring insert works well. We got it installed by Project Two - customer installers the day before vacation (since Andrews Toyota in Milwaukee was so slow in responding to us). Cost $85, plus $15 overnight shipping, plus $95 install.

Pumped it to 35 psi for trip. Never bottomed on the road and trip went fine through the Smoky Mountains and Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore.

Reduced pressure to 10 psi now - ride still good.

I'm still trying to get an appointment with the dealer to share our facts and let them know our information displeasure.
  • gaawbgaawb Member Posts: 5
    I've been reading many consumer complaints about the Run Flat tires. I really liked my test drive of the XLE AWD but am now very leary of these tires. Are the Dunlop Graspics self-inflating tires? If so, what makes them different from the stock Run Flats? Lastly, a major beef is that there is no spare. Did you end up buying a spare and placing it behind the third row seats? This issue is a real concern and will likely prevent me from purchasing this vehicle. I appreciate your response.
    I was about to purchase a 2005 XLE AWD. I then came across this forum (as well as others) and noticed a significant problem with the Run Flat tires. I expressed my concern with the dealer and he told me they would replace the Run Flats with regular tires as well as put a spare where spares usually go in the FWD Siennas. After reviewing several of your emails, it appears this option was never given to you which makes me wonder if they actually can put a spare underneath the AWD Siennas (there is a tire bolt under the floor mat in the second row - passenger side in all Siennas). Carrying a spare behind the third row seats is absolutely ludicrous for a $38,000 vehicle. Any thoughts??
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    :confuse:

The spare tire location in the standard FWD Siennas is OCCUPIED by parts of the AWD system on the AWD Siennas. I don't think your salesman has any idea that a spare will not fit in this location on the AWD Siennas.
    I thought it was too good to be true. This is definitely a deal-breaker. Now I have to decide between the FWD Sienna and the Odyssey. Thanks for the info.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That is correct. There is still a flap in the carpeting where the bolt for the winch is found in the FWD models, but it's just a plastic cap that covers where the bolt goes. The rear drive-shaft takes up the space where the spare normally goes.

Ken
    Yep. I talked to the salesman again and he said, in fact, they could not put a spare underneath. He also called Toyota to see if they made changes to the 2006 AWD models. Toyota told him they made zero changes to the tires or the lack of a spare tire. I'm really disappointed. Will probably go with the XLE Limited FWD unless I hear there are inherent problems with that too.
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    Since the national news is telling the world that Sienna has a problem with seatbelts, I wonder how long it will take Toyota to start sending out the letters. I will just wait and have the door tape and belts done at the same time and make just one trip to the dealer.
  • govettgovett Member Posts: 1
    I am sure your dealer has told you you must press the brake. However, we have about 10,000 miles on our van and we are experiencing the same issue every once in a while. No same circumstance...got stuck one in a drive thru, got stuck once after being somewhere, very sporadic. The last time no matter what we tried (smashing the brake, turning car on and off) it would not come out of park. Called a tow truck but before they got there, it started working again. The dealer replaced the shifter assembly unit last week but unfortunately, my wife had it happen again yesterday. They have it now and are baffled with no clue as to what is causing it. So I would be wary as I think this is the start of something not quite right with the locking brake mechanism and will end up being a recall at some point.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There's a sensor/selenoid attached to the brake pedal that allows the shift lever to be moved. I would have them check that/replace it before looking too much further. I have seen one or two fail over the years (not common at all), but they have the exact symptoms you're describing.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Ken
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    near the shifter is a little blank panel, sometimes with a slot. With the slot you can push a small screwdriver down into it and force the solenoid into the shifter unlock position. With the blank panel, ~0.5" square, you remove it then you can manually unlock the shifter.

Instructions for same within all owners manuals.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Toyota left a space where the spare tire will fit in the rear "tub" on AWD models. Of course that also means that you can not fold that portion (the 60 portion) of the seat down into the tub when the spare tire is there.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Toyota is right, to an extent. They do not warrant the tires. Goodyear/Dunlop does. Each finger points to the other. Toyota says 'we don't warrant the tires.' G/Y says, 'Toyota didn't tell customers these were 'high-performance' tires, and have a lesser warranty. In any event, your G/D dealer will offer you some compensation if you have less than 30K on your tires, provided you've rotated them regularly (and can prove it), and your van isn't seriously out-of-alignment.
  • chemengpsuchemengpsu Member Posts: 1
    I fold my outside mirrors on my 2000 Sienna Van one time every day to park in the garage. This year both outside mirrors broke at the pivot points. This cost me about $325 per mirror. I can only conclude that the mirrors are not designed to be folded every day and should only be used ocassionally. This needs to report to owners since it is not in the owners manual.
  • ottawacanadaottawacanada Member Posts: 2
    I have only 2400KM (15000 miles) and tires are more than half wear out. I check I have following tires in my 04 Sienna:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+LX4&vehicleSear- ch=false&partnum=26TR6LX4&fromCompare1=yes&place=7

Available for only $102 a piece at tire rack.

James
  • chrisalison1chrisalison1 Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I just replaced all 4 run flat tires on my 04 Sienna....it only has 12,000 miles on it. The service dept claims that the van's tire pressure monitor must have gotten reset somehow to a pressure that was much lower than the recommended pressure, thereby causing excessive wear. Yeah, right.

While I am willing to overlook many of the annoying quirks of this vehicle (i.e. poor FM reception, the multiple occasions of a dead battery secondary to the rear interior lights that don't automatically shut off after one of the sliding doors is left open by my kids), this problem has cost me $1300.

Is there any other solution than looking into a class-action lawsuit?
    It is possible for the tire pressure monitor to be reset by pushing the little black button to the left of the steering wheel.

However, that's not really the issue. The tire pressure monitor only reads a pressure difference between tires by using the ABS sensor. It does not read the actual pressure of the tires themselves.

Therefore, it is not a substitute for checking tire pressure with a gauge on a regular basis. Running your vehicle with lower than suggested tire pressure will easily wear your tires sooner than you expect.

I do agree that the Sienna should have an interior light shut off but it doesn't. Even with all of the interior lights off, the vehicle still draws a fair amount of current if one of the doors is left open. The only solution is to make sure the doors are shut all the way.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Did service dept. bring you over to the vehicle and show you via demonstration that your tire pressure was to low? Or, did you take their word for it? Bull hockey on the pressure monitor.Sounds like the dealer may have pulled a fast one. Did you call the manufacturer of the tires about the problem?

I've heard of getting poor mileage on the run flats...but only 12,000 miles. :cry:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • drb1drb1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Sienna XLE AWD - my tires (Dunlop) are spent after just 18K. The dealer has no answer other than buy new ones. Toyota should inform Dunlop that their tires are crap. No way after paying about $40K for this vehicle should it need $1K in new tires already. Let's hope Toyota figures it out and corrects it for future buyers. I am concerned now that it may not be a tire tread issue, but a Toyota AWD issue and an alignment problem. Have to wait and see with the new tires ...
  • v87v87 Member Posts: 1
    I too have 2004 Sienna XLE AWD, my tires are shot after just 20k. I called Toyota cutomer service and was told to call Dunlop, since this was a tire issue and not an issue with my Toyota. I asked who was responsible for selecting these run flats in the first place ? I got silence. I also asked if they thought it was acceptable to be replacing 4 tires after 20k at a cost of $1300. I got some song and dance about the safety properties of the runflat and how some people value them more than others, yada yada.....Toyota have dropped the ball on this one, they've lost me as a customer.
    Guys, it really sounds to me like your complaint is more with the tire manufacturer than it is with Toyota.

Although if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be very happy either.
  • siennaitissiennaitis Member Posts: 2
    Have been looking at the postings on this board in regards to tire wear. I have a 2001 Sienna LE and had to replace all 4 tires at 23,000 miles. This problem has been ongoing with this model of van for YEARS and Toyota is aware of it. They also are aware of all the other problems that have plagued this vehicle since 1999. For Example: Sludge, sliding door sticking, ABS failing intermittantly in light snow conditions, and these are just a few. I have been to the dealer so many times that I have lost count and am disgusted that I paid over 35K for a vehicle that I had expected to be reliable and long lasting. I was VERY suprised to see that the newer models are CONTINUING with the same problems. I guess Toyota figures that they won't ever be held accountable so they won't bother to redesign some of the flaws. It is truly amazing what they get away with and what we are willing to put up with. Good luck with your vans, I'm thinking of trading mine in and I still have a year left to pay on it. The next car will be leased so I can avoid these problems.
    "For Example: Sludge..."

"I was VERY suprised to see that the newer models are CONTINUING with the same problems."

I was under the impression that the Sludge issue affected the previous 3.0 engine and that the issue had been resolved with the new 3.3 liter V6. Has there been continuing reports of sludge even in the current generation of Siennas?
  • siennaitissiennaitis Member Posts: 2
    My bad, sludge was a problem with earlier vehicles. I'm hoping that I don't encounter it , but am not counting it out since I only have 34,000 miles on it right now. Sorry for the misinfo.
  • ketchemrketchemr Member Posts: 1
    I called Toyota at 800-331-4331 and registered a complaint. They acknowledged the issue and recommended I contact Dunlop at 800-548-4714. Dunlop referred me to a local authorized runflat dealer, but said the most they would do is prorate the tires to an expected mileage of 30000. I will be calling Toyota back to request full cost replacement. I requested full price refund on the van, but was told that would have to go through arbitration.

Please call both Toyota and Dunlop and register your complaint. The Dunlop rep said she had not heard of any complaints. The more people that call, the more they will listen.
    Believe me, Dunlop is aware of the complaints. I'm pretty sure Dunlop has lost Toyota's business in terms of supplying tires.

I do question why you're asking for a "full price refund on the van". Is this just because of tire wear or are you having a lot of other problems?
  • ohresohres Member Posts: 46
    I first reported the uneven wear on my 04 Sienna AWD with Dunlop Run Flats at 5k & then at 10k service. I did not contact Toyota or Dunlop yet but I feel the time is ticking against me since the vehicle has 12k mile now. I also received the same answers from the Toyota service dept. They wanted me to contact Dunlop since it is tire problem. In my observation, it is more likely a design problem rather than tire problem since I see more tires developing feathering patterns as the tires are rotated at 5k & 10k. If the tires are at fault then all tires have to show similar wear patterns regardless of the rotations. It appears that the driver side rear develops more uneven wears than others, indicating some design issues rather than tire problems.

Also received a new code on the trans to resolve the hesitation problem. It looks like that it is working better so far but noticed some sluggish accelerations few times since the update. The trans still has occasional rough shifting.
  • ajkalajkal Member Posts: 5
    You know I've only owned North American cars up until now. So I go out and buy a new 2005 Toyota Sienna LE after listening for years about Toyota quality. I picked it up end of July, drove it from Ottawa to Toronto and after 500Km's of driving, the bloody check engine light comes on! I tell you I was really disappointed and embarrassed to tell my relatives what happened, after dishing out so much money.

Has anyone had this problem? I never re fuelled after picking the vehicle up from the dealer as I was given a full tank. The fuel cap was on properly. The light went out by itself after a period of time. I just hope it's nothing serious. I'm taking the van to the dealer tommorow for a checkup.

I guess I'll have second thoughts about buying Toyota again, or any other 'import' for that matter. I could have bought two Chevy's for the same price. I just hope this is not a lemon. :lemon:
    I think you're jumping the gun a little. Check engine lights could be just about anything.

I wouldn't pull out your .45 Magnum just yet.
  • irishmomirishmom Member Posts: 5
    After much deliberation...bought a sienna vs. odyssey Feb 05. At 2,000 miles brought back to the dealer for what seemed like an over-idle problem. Tach would be high and car seemed to drive itself. Dealer said no problem registered on computer. Just brought car back to dealer with same problem only now also with rough shifting, increased rpm's at random especially betweeen 45-50 mph and when braking. Dealer not very helpful....thinks Im crazy. My husband has experienced it also. Dealer has attitude that if error messages do not come up on computer ...all is well. Ive owned many cars and never had a car that drives like this. Any thoughts/ideas? lemon law is over in my state.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Your remark is way to strong - especially since you don't know what the problem is. Additionally, your foreign car was built in Princeton, Indiana. Sienna has been US-built since 2000, I believe. At least the ones that are sold in the US.

I suggest you calm down and find out what, if anything, is wrong with your car. And remember, as with any car, if you're looking reasons to dislike it, you'll find them. If you look for reasons to enjoy the car, you'll find them, too.

I hope you find that your purchase was a good decision, and not a regretful one.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Sorry you are having so much trouble with your new van. I am not sure if what you are describing is the same, but you may want to check out the Engine Hesitation forum here at Edmunds where the transmission lag/delay in certain Toyota models is being extensively discussed.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/1500

If this is your problem, Toyota has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for a software upgrade to correct the problem (people who have had the upgrade have had mixed results -- some have seen the problem go away, some see no difference, and some see a minor improvement).
  • fpostmafpostma Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am getting flashed all the time, regardless of how the van is loaded, even when only I as the driver am seated. I've been pulled over by the law 3 times in 15 months, checking whether I have my high beam on. Toyota St John says there is no adjusting possibility. My Toyota Previa van in Holland had adjustables. This is a major shortcoming on Toyota's part. It's reason enough for me not to purchase a Sienna next time around. Any tips out there?
    Frank
    Well, if you have a Sienna XLE Ltd., the HID lights ARE adjustable for height. I'm at a loss though if you have any other trim level since those lights are not adjustable as far as I know.
  • meg7meg7 Member Posts: 7
    I called Toyota today and registered my complaint. Dunlop referred me to an authorized dealer who told me that the Dunlop sport 4000 (run flats) do not have an expected mileage or mileage warranty. The dealer said that he will call Goodyear/Dunlop to see what they will do but I'll be surprised if they do anything. (My car has only 13k mis.) Have you had any success?
    Thanks for the info. Were all four tires worn evenly? Did anyone indicate any problem with alignment or improper rotation? Thanks
  • tdotdo Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2005 Toyota Sienna Limited. It has the navigation system on board. We bought the van in the United States, it came with a North American map dvd, and we were immediately shipped to Germany. We were told by the dealer (in the States) that we could just purchase a Europe dvd map for the navigation system, when we got to Germany. Well, now it looks like the navigation system may not be compatible with the map that we would be able to get here.
    Anyone know anything about this subject? If I can get a Europe map that would work and where could I buy it? I made a feeble attempt to contact the German dealer, but I think that before my next attempt I need to have some knowledge and someone that speaks German.
    Thanks for any suggestions
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    The navigation system used in the 2005 Sienna is virtually identical to the one used in the 2005 Lexus models and the 2005 Camry. You might try to borrow a Camry or Lexus map DVD for a few minutes and try it in the Sienna. (Make sure it is from a 2005, the earlier models used a different GPS generation.)
    I don't know if there were other changes made for Europe (different version of the software etc.) but this should be a simple way to find out if just buying a map DVD from Toyota or Lexus will fit the bill for you.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I used ebay quite a bit when I lived in Germany. Try contacting UK dealers since that won't pose a problem with language. As another poster suggested, also try a Lexus dealer if you have one nearby. I lived in Berlin and there were plenty around where someone usually spoke English. Not sure where you are based, but I would ty UK dealers (though they may not know for sure until they try one in your Sienna), Lexus dealer to see if they will let you try it, out of one of their demos, then eBay to actually buy it. Price will be far better in most cases on eBay, I've gotten some great bargains for my BMW while I was there.

Oh, the other thing is that there are a lot of grey imports from Japan in UK, and I am sure some of them have tried using EU/UK Nav disc in Japanesse-market car. Try email or call to UK dealer and tell them that you have a US spec Toyota and want to know if EU Nav DVD will work, they might just know.
  • irishmomirishmom Member Posts: 5
    Thanks...I will check out the other forum. As a matter of fact, at its most recent visit to the dealer, they did the software upgrade. I have noticed no difference. I also took a ride with a technician, who said the van drove normally. He recommended driving it in 4 vs. OD around town and under 55 mph. He said toyota does not usually suggest this but he said it may help with all the shifting I feel. He said the new vans are so sophisticated in their trans that its a different driving experience. OK...well, Im not loving this driving experience and will keep my eyes and ears open for the real problem here....I don't want to find out about it after the warranty expires. Thanks for your suggestion..I'm open to any help.
    I found this article online in the Nov. 2004 issue of Ward's Auto World. Here is an interesting excerpt that we should be discussing with Toyota and Dunlop:

"Honda and Michelin have invested in a nationwide network to supply Pax tires wherever they are needed by Odyssey customers.

More than 1,000 Honda dealers in the U.S. and some 200 independent tire retailers have received Pax tire-wheel assemblies. A technician need only remove and replace five lug nuts.

If an Odyssey owner has a flat Pax in a remote area -- say, Yellowstone National Park -- a logistics service will fly a new wheel-tire assembly to the nearest airport, then have it driven by courier directly to the consumer. Michelin vows it will deliver a Pax assembly anywhere in the continental U.S. within 12 hours."

With this kind of network in place, plus a mileage warranty from Dunlop, perhaps we will be able to drive our AWD Siennas with confidence. And not have to spend $1200 a year for new tires. Let's work together on this problem!!!!!

re Dunlop P225/R60/17 run flat tires
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    The devil is in the details. Go to the PAX/Run-flat tires for Minivans discussion to read real-world experiences of PAX owners.
  • adams4adams4 Member Posts: 1
    Here's our story: within weeks after buying our 2004 Sienna AWD XLE, I noticed significant veering to the left when driving on the highway. It's more noticeable when in the left lane due to crowning in the road, but it's also there in the center lane. We brought the car in and they rotated tires and did an alignment, replaced a front "toe-in" (what's that?) and a front camber (hunh?). Well, problem wasn't corrected. My wife brought the car back and drove it with the service manager (a very patient and nice guy) and he didn't notice anything amiss. About 6 months later, I had my local regular mechanic due and oil change and he noticed extreme pulling in steering and remarked that the tires showed 30,000 miles worth of wear after only about 6500 miles of actual usage. I then called the Toyota service manager back and he admitted that they have been having problems with run-flats wearing early. So, we brought the van back to Toyota and he said he would check the front end again and put on a new set of tires. The service receipt says "unstable steering deformed whle disc/tire dismount R&R" but I have no idea what this means. Problem remained. In April of '05, I spoke with Toyota customer service national about this continuing problem. I was told that Toyota has issued no recalls, nor were there any known alerts or problems with run-flats or this model Sienna or veering or pulling. He sent info to customer relations manager at my dealership and was assured that he would contact me to make sure everything was inspected on he vehicle. Well, a few days later I get a call from the friendly service manager again, talk about buck-passing. "Bring it back in," he suggested. So,, drove it for a while longer, no change, in August, a few weeks ago, I brought it back in and drove with the service manager. He claims that the veering, which he noticed only when removing foot off accelerator and taking hands off wheel, is "normal" and that's the way these AWD cars work! "You mean the car won't drive straight?" I asked!! He claimed this was normal. He did notice a shimmy at high speeds which was another problem that started only a few weeks before. He also noted that he hadn't had any other complaints from Sienna owners about veering, pulling, etc. He balanced the front tires. I came away feeling frustrated and resigned that this pulling is normal. But I can't let it go. Started surfing on the web and find that I'm not the only person with alignment and tire wear problems. This morning I looked at our tires again and they show significant wear again! Maybe the New York Times wants to do an expose on this problem. I've read or heard nothing in the news media about this problem.
    I've done a quick search of the internet databases and did not find any articles discussing the number of consumer complaints regarding the Dunlop run-flats or the AWD Sienna. A friend who is a writer suggested that we do a letter writing campaign to the media outlets, especially to Consumer Reports, but I haven't had the time. (I only became aware of the problem a week ago.)

I'm frustrated that even though I did my research before the purchase, and I went to a number of Toyota dealers when shopping for the van, not one salesman explained that my car did not come equipped with a spare tire. Although they did mention the "special" run-flat tires, I was not aware that that was synonymous with "no spare." Basically I feel duped.
    "I'm frustrated that even though I did my research before the purchase....."

Um, not meaning to be a snot or anything (well, not much), but the whole "Runflats and lack of a spare tire" issue on the AWD Siennas has been discussed, extensively, here on Edmunds for about the last 2 years.

And 'run-flat' tires has been synonymous with 'no spare' for virtually EVERY run-flat equipped vehicle ever sold. If you can find a single vehicle factory equipped with run-flats which ALSO has a spare tire as standard equipment, I'll be very surprised.

In fact there are several vehicles on the market which have NEITHER run-flats or a spare tire as standard equipment.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    rorr - meg7 has only been an Edmunds member for the past week, so bringing up the discussion on Edmunds isn't really fair.

now then while we know it would be extra-ordinary (probably impossible) to have a drive line to the rear axle and have room below the vehicle to store a spare, it isn't obvious to everyone.

i remember reading a post in another forum where a person and his wife thought they were buying a 4WD vehicle and found out it was only 2-wheel sometime after the purchase.

i suspect, many people don't even know where a spare in a non-AWD mini-van is stored, and that AWD implies no spare by virtue of the fact there's no place to stick it unless it's on the back, the top, or inside of the van (all obvious)...

scary i know but - there are plenty of people out there (i mean here) that evidently don't open their owner's manual, and couldn't tell if a vehicle was AWD or not by looking under it.
This discussion has been closed.