Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Well, I basically complained politely to both Toyota and my dealer. I praised the van otherwise, noting how happy I was with it, and how much I love it in spite of these lousy tires. I also was clear that I knew when I bought the van that it came with RFT's and that there was no spare (not "the salesman didn't tell me, Toyota doesn't care about safety," yada yada....).

I posed the question to both Toyota and my dealer as to why I should spend $1,000 on another set of these, when the first set didn't last more than 15K-- even with two scheduled rotations done at the dealership. Obviously, this is an unanswerable question. I proposed the solution of the free spare tire kit, and the regional rep approved it-- probably because it's cheaper for them than a new set of tires, which many others here have demanded.

I've bought six Toyotas over the last 15 years (two Camrys, two trucks, and two Siennas), but only three were purchased from this particular dealership-- so I doubt that made a difference, or that anyone even bothered to check. I just think Toyota has finally (and quietly) acknowledged there is a problem.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    What octane are you using? Toyota calls for 89 or up. I have heard of knocking complaints when low octane is used.
  • shone0405shone0405 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with steering wheel of '05 Sienna with only 1200 miles on it. How did you solve the problem? Some of previous poster said that they had steering shaft replaced. Steering wheel also makes rubbing noise when turning. Also, I found hood is not closed tight enough to lift up about 1/3 inch after it is locked. I think this is why the van is not as quite as I expected during highway drive. I am very disappointed on this van of Toyota. I hope I would not be disappointed from the service of Toyota dealer on this matter. :(
  • ohresohres Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for your information.

The improvement on the ride and road noise with the non-RFTs is quite understandable, looking at the design of the RFT.

My 2004 Sienna Ltd AWD has uneven wears (feathering) rather than premature wear since the uneven wear pattern is not uniform all around. On my other two old AWDs that are driven a lot harsher, never developed such uneven wears. Both 2000 T&C Ltd AWD and 1998 Subaru Outback AWD have about 96k miles on it. Just got a flat on the Subaru and the tire which has about 50k miles on it still has plenty use left with no uneven wear patterns. I frequently check the pressure and rotate tires every 5k miles. Ride on the T&C with load leveling rear suspension and upgraded tires is a lot smoother than the Sienna with RFTs too.

After reviewing my complaint, Toyota CS suggested me to file an arbitration. I do not expect much from their decision but am waiting to hear from the board.
  • ericcpaericcpa Member Posts: 6
    We generally use 87 octane from reputable stations (EXXON/BP). It knocks when its warm, not cold. Any ideas? I understood that the Sienna has a knock sensor that would advance the timing to prevent any issues with the engine - though i am not sure if this is the case.
  • kjokjo Member Posts: 24
    We use 87 octane as well, never any knocking and excellent performance in gas milage. 6,000 miles on our LE.
  • heidiho1962heidiho1962 Member Posts: 1
    I moved to Vermont last winter and soon discovered that my Ford Windstar couldn't make it up my hill in the winter on fresh snow. I bought a 2005 AWD Sienna. I am planning on putting on snow tires (we have a snow day today - yes - in Oct!!). Any consenus out there if it is better to go to 16" wheels and snows with a spare in the back versus run-flat snows? Also, if you put in the 16" spare in the back does it fit down in the well of the cargo area?
    A 16" spare may fit in the cargo well, but a 17" definitely does not.
    I've been very pleased with my 17" run-flat Bridgestone Blizzaks. They're incredible in the snow, and I haven't experienced the pre-mature wear that I did with the OEM Dunlop RFT's-- which I consider to be strictly summer tires.
  • lastarlastar Member Posts: 30
    A Tow Prep Package is included from Toyota, but I am wondering if the wiring is included also. Or do I need to buy a wiring kit? If it is included, is it for a 7 pin plug?
    Try a full tank of high octane and see if it makes a difference
  • gbtwgbtw Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Sienna Limited AWD with 6500 miles. Starting at 1000 miles I've been bringing the van back to the Toyota because of an excessive vibration inside the van. They have "fixed" the problem by balancing a wheel, rotating the wheels, balancing 2 wheels. They now tell me that there is nothing more they can do, "it is the nature of the beast". The service department told me it is the combination of the way the AWD wears (scallops) the very stiff run flat tires and the very stiff run flat tire transferring the resulting vibration to the body of the vehicle. I was offered 3 options from the dealer. 1. Purchase 4 new run flat tires at a cost of $600. 2. Purchase 4 new Michelin tires and a donut spare for a cost of $400. 3. Trade my fully loaded 2005 Limited AWD Sienna with 6500 miles to them for $30,000 and they will sell me a new fully loaded 2006 Sienna Limited FWD for $37,611. They said I will get a portion of the Extended Warranty that I purchased for the 2005 Sienna. The cost of the 2006 did not include an Extended Warranty.

I did not think the first option was reasonable, because it would not resolve the problem (remember- "nature of the beast")

I have two problems with the second option. First, the safety issue of laying the donut spare inside the van without being attached to anything. Secondly, it just did not seem right that I should be paying anything to have a brand new vehicle ride without excessive vibration.

The third option? I was astonished that to "resolve" the problem, the dealer was going to make a rather large profit on my trade-in and another profit by selling me a new van. Besides being unethical, I would think that it is illegal!

I have called the Toyota customer service 800 number and they referred me back to the dealer. I called them again and they said that there is nothing they can do.
    Personally, I think that none of the options are attractive. Check your state's Lemon Law to learn about your rights (you should have a booklet illustrating the lemon laws and the arbitration procedures). Make sure that all the repair visits are documented and that you have hard copies of the repair histories. Telephone call is convenient but sending a written complaint seems working better for me. I got the same response as you have when I called about the problems on my 2004 Ltd AWD but when I sent a formal complaint they called me and asked me to file an arbitration. I don't expect too much out of the arbitration process but I think it is better to follow their suggested route. If I cannot accept the outcome then I will seek a help from a lemon law lawyer to see if I have a case or not. Currently, I am waiting a response from the arbitration board. Good Luck!
    The donut spare tire kit comes with hardware to attach it to the floor, so there is no safety issue. Also, there is a color-matched cover that makes a flat cargo surface over the stowed spare.

If you can get four new Michelins (not my favorite brand, though), and the donut spare kit for $400, you're doing well. The cost of the spare tire kit and related parts are at least that much, so you'd be getting the Michelins for free.
  • jksledsonjksledson Member Posts: 14
    I recently took my new Sienna through a clothfree wash (just water spraying). Upon entering it had an under carriage spray of water. After the wash, I noticed lots of steam from the very front of the car where there are some fans that weren't running and what looked like a radiator (can you tell I'm an expert?). It smoked/steamed the whole way home, similar to what a classic case of radiator overheating has looked like in older cars I've owned.

It seems to have disappeared the next day. Did I just get water in a spot that didn't like it? Thoughts are welcome. Guess I won't be doing undercarriage sprays again.

I have just over 1000 miles on the van and the last two tanks have averaged around 17-18 mpg with mostly city driving. Very pleased with the van overall. Nervous about some info about water getting into the van and also hearing about AC system backups that leak into the carpets. (Was told to get the system flushed regularly, though not sure what interval is appropriate).
    The donut spare they offered with the 4 Michelin ties does not come with the kit. For an additional cost I can purchase the kit. This would resolve the safety issue, but reduces internal storage space and prevents the 60 split of the third row from laying flat into the floor. I believe I would accept the loss of storage space, but I need to regularly fold the third row seat flat. That was one of the selling points for this vehicle.
    I am looking at my state's Lemon Law. For your info my state law says:
    "..the consumer will elect to use the dispute settlement mechanism established by the manufacturer or the state arbitration board. The consumer's election of either the manufacturer's mechanism or the state board will preclude his or her recourse to the method not selected."
    If your state is similar and you are pursuing Toyota's National Center for Dispute Settlement program, then you may not be able to file a claim under your state's lemon law.

Good Luck!
  • toyo_van_ownertoyo_van_owner Member Posts: 31
    I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on this. I have a 2006 LE.

Twice, when I had to stop quickly while in a turn, I heard and felt a loud crunch at least 1 full second long that sounded like metal on metal. Both times were at speeds less than 20 MPH. I can't make it happen on purpose, the two times appear to be random. And both times, the van stopped just fine - but with the funny noise.

Any thoughts? I want to wait to take it in until I can reproduce it at will.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You're probably hearing the VSC kicking in and "unbraking" the front wheel on the inside of the turn, especially if the street was wet or slippery. That's what it will do if the vehicle isn't closely following the correct "line" as defined by the stearing wheel position. Or it might even be the Trac system.
    Thanks for the information.

As an engineer, not a lawyer, I don't know the details about the law but I went through the process with the same NCDS organization few years back when I claimed my Dodge. The NCDS decided to deny my appeal since the vehicle was not eligible for dispute under the PA Lemon Law. About the same time, I was getting an offer from Chrysler. There was few hundred dollar difference that prevented us to settle. After my lawyer contacted Chrysler and after few negotiations, my lawyer could guide us to make an agreement with Chrysler. My lawyer recovered his costs from Chrysler.

It appears that Toyota started using the same organization for their dispute settlement. Even if the organization supposed to be a neutral decision maker, their role is unclear. Hence, I don't expect much from their decision rather I consider it as a step toward further negotiation.

I may get the same answer saying that PA lemon law is not applicable for my vehicle since it has more than 12k miles on it and since we owned it for more than 12 months. If this is the case then, as before, I may seek a help from a lawyer who is familiar with Federal laws. It will be a slow process though.
  • toyo_van_ownertoyo_van_owner Member Posts: 31
    Thanks! That gives me a much needed starting point to start some research.
  • mwcoxmwcox Member Posts: 13
    Interesting: :(

Toyota and Goodyear are being sued for what claimants say are "defective" run-flat tires on the Sienna minivan. A New York law firm filed the suit on behalf of one Stanley Monk and other owners, the AP reports, who charge that the run-flat tires wear out after just 10,000 miles of use. The tires were made by Goodyear but sold under the Dunlop imprint on the Toyota minivan. Run-flat tires are designed with stiff sidewalls that provide on-road capability even when a tread puncture deflates the tire. Lawyers allege in the suit that the tire wear effectively means the tires must be replaced yearly at a cost of $1300 or more.
  • david2005david2005 Member Posts: 2
    Bot Sienna 2005 (7passager), I want to move the center seat , by manual:
    Step 1, lower the head restraint to lowest position, slide to the rear-most lock ..
    Step 2 , fold down the seatback..
    Step 3, pull the seat lock release lever (red) and swing up the seat.

Where is seat lock realease lever (red)? :mad: I just found 2 red button under the seat, I donot think I can reach it too far when I want to swing the seat.

Do I miss something?
  • eemat4eemat4 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the post about the lawsuit re: the run-flat tires - is it just on the AWD or on the FWD also? Everything that people have posted is true about my car - less than 10 mo. old, with 15,000 miles on. Very soon after buying it we felt it pulling to the left. Toyota service people (incl. manager didn't feel it - just like they don't feel the air rushing thru the middle vent even when air/heat is off!). In summer Toyota Service recommended balancing (which I paid for) and the left front tire "screeches" when the wheel is turned hard left and u take off. My husband has been blaming me for driving the car hard..which I don't do!!!! Can I blame the tires? And what can I do about it without having to pay to replace the tires myself?
  • eemat4eemat4 Member Posts: 2
    Correction for previous post re: tire problems on '05 Sienna.

Also, my Sienna runs high - toyota service says that ok - at almost 2! Everything I've pointed out to them, is always "ok" - either they don't "hear" or "see" it; or that's the way its supposed to be - "normal". And can't convince them otherwise - no matter how many times I bring the car back.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I noticed the post about the lawsuit re: the run-flat tires - is it just on the AWD or on the FWD also?"

The lawsuit only applies to the run-flat tires. The run-flat tires were ONLY on the AWD versions of the van. If you have a FWD version, you don't have run-flat tires as original equipment. Therefore, the lawsuit would not apply to you.

"...and the left front tire "screeches" when the wheel is turned hard left and u take off."

It's not unusual for the inside tire to 'screech' if the wheel is turned all the way in one direction and more than a moderate amount of power is applied. I suppose one could blame the tires (not sticky enough/spin too easily), but the solution (more aggresive thread/rubber compound) would probably lead to other 'problems' (reduced tire life, decreased gas mileage, perhaps more tire noise in general driving conditions). It probably is more pronounced to the left side rather than the right side due to the suspension geometry (FWD vehicles usually have unequal length half-shafts from the transaxle; these unequal length half-shafts usually lead to more torque going to one side than other. This is usually exhibited as 'torque-steer').

'Pulling to the left' sounds like an alignment issue.
    "Scalloping" thats nice its called wear. Your run flats are wearing unevenly and prematurely. There is a class action suit over the incredible wear on the run flats filed in NY and one underway in CA.
    I don't know what you mean by "Everything people posted here is true about my car" there are lot good posts about this car. My FWD Sienna has no pulling, in fact its the most stable car I have ever owned. If your Sienna is pulling to the left there is something wrong, its not characteristic of the vehicle. You might try a different dealer or mechanic because we all know car dealers are not always objective. I find air flow in my middle vent too, though its not "rushing through". It only bothers me in moderately cool weather, when its cool, but not cool enough for heat. I found that simply turning the flow to floor vent eliminates it. The tires are not run flats on the FWD, but they are junk. Most stock tire that come with new cars are junk and Toyota's are no exception. There is no way Toyota is going to replace them for you, sorry. Try inflating them closer to their max psi. Mine squealed all the time no matter how I inflated them, though. I finally replaced them with high quality tires and the squealing stopped.
  • bmahhbmahh Member Posts: 1
    I just went to have a service performed on my 2004 XLE AWD and commented on the tire wear to the service consultant. I have about 40,000 Km of which more than half was on snow tires ( about 18,000 km or about 12,000 miles on the run flats). The snow tires suprisingly does not show the same wear that are exhibited by the run flats. Their response was that I needed a tire alignment ( at my cost ). When I said that I had one performed about a year ago (free by Toyota because they noticed abnormal tire wear) they responded that I should have one every year. Also, they responded that other AWD/Four wheel drive vehicles have similar wear to the tires and that that was normal. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the responses. Other vehicles that I have owned have never required yearly wheel alignments. Also, to say that abnormal tire wear for AWD vehicles is normal is ridiculous. It appears that this issue is being miss-handled by Toyota or at worse, ignored. When I have to replace the tires (probably in about a year), I will be using normal tires. If the wear persists, I will be looking to replace an otherwise great van. Meanwhile, in my eyes, Toyota has lost my respect as a company, in not addressing complaints with regards to this issue. I guess I will join many other AWD owners and start complaining to Toyota. :mad:
  • yankeebuddyyankeebuddy Member Posts: 2
    How do I get more info on this? I've already replaced 2 of the tires and now all 4 seem to need replacing again. I'd like to participate in the suit also. Should I complain to Attorney General?
  • snowbound2snowbound2 Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone ever tell you how to get info on the lawsuit? If so, could you please forward to me? Thanks.
    You--and all the others here who seem to think a lawsuit is the answer--would be better served by pressing harder for a resolution from your dealer and your regional Toyota rep. The only ones who benefit from class action lawsuits are the attorneys and their firms. They'll get the lion's share of any settlement, and it will be years before you see any money.
  • tevanstevans Member Posts: 2
    We live near Cincinnati, Ohio.

We have just replaced the Turanza tires (at 38K miles) with Yokohama Avids. Much better and more controlled ride than the Turanzas. Still get the occasional pull to the left but not as pronounced.

One other thing that is starting to occur is a sort of crunching sound like ball joints going bad when you start rolling forward slowly. We have about 40K miles on the van at this time. I will be taking it in soon (Nov. '05)for regular service and have them look at the ball joints to see if this is also what has historically caused the car to pull to the left.
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    I agree 100% and as I always say stay away from doctors and lawyers....
  • sljbfamsljbfam Member Posts: 15
    I read here about some problems with other sienna vans having problems with the clicking/noise in steering wheel and they had the shaft replaced. Well our 2004 van has 35,900 miles on it and a few weeks ago started making the clicking noise, can hear it when turning the wheel to the left in a stand still. Brought it to dealer and they eventually replaced the shaft assy., it said rack was leaking, replace rack. But no mention of tsb but there is a tsb on the steering, service bulletin number 00304 steering intermediate shaft noise. Of course service tech. heard nothing of the tsb or wouldn't admit to it, I think sometimes they don't want to or maybe they have no clue about tsb's. They also did the seatbelt bezel recall, tape recall (what ever that was I think it was about the sliding door rusting or something). Also the driver side window as rattleing when it was all the way down and you close the door would hear the glass rattle, it was a bad bolt. This van is a good van when not bringing it to service for all the tsb's and recalls, ie radiator had two relplaced, steering return hose recall, check engine light on was vacum leak, then light went back on it was oxygen sensor, then again light went on it was a 500 idod. Have never brought a new car to a dealer for so many problems, our next van may not be a toyota?
  • schengscheng Member Posts: 1
    I bought Sienna CE 2006 two weeks ago. Overall pleased with it. But I have a problem with the A/C. Everyday in the morning, when I first start the car, the A/C doesn't work (i.e. no airflow from the vent, A/C, circulation light can't be pressed on, etc.). I have to restarted the car and then everything is fine. This also happens when the car parked for a long time and I try to start it for the first time. Dose anybody have the same issue? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!
    The following may apply to your vehicle. Many modern day automatic climate control systems work this way.

For cooling mode the blower doesn't start until the A/C evaporator has been chilled enough to cool the incoming air. In heating mode the engine water jacket must reach 130F before the blower starts.
  • abinabin Member Posts: 18
    CE with auto climate control?
    I see a problem here.
    There is no auto climate control on my 04' Sienna, besides if it was the result of a control why would it be erratic?. You turn the knob the air should flow. You press ac the light should come on and it should start the compressor if the fan is in any of the on positions. Its sounds like a defect to me. An 06' must still be under warranty. Complain now and get it fixed. If its erratic it made be hard to get it to happen for the dealer, but at least get your complaints documented. If they won't fix it now and it gets worse after warranty you can demand repair because of their refusal to fix it when it was.
  • lumpmanlumpman Member Posts: 7
    Having monitored this forum for quite some time, and also just having switched out my runflat Bridgestones for normal, non-runflat Yokohama Avid TRZs, thought I'd post my experiences with them.

The TRZ is a quieter, softer tire. It does improve the ride since the sidewall is much more flexible (the 50 mi you get running a runflat flat is because of a super tough sidewall, which also makes the ride harsher). Haven't had them on long enough to check fuel economy. No, I didn't get the toyota spare. But I'm actually in a better position to fix a flat tire than before. Some might not know it, but to fix a runflat, like I had to do once for a screw, you have to find a tire shop with a runflat capable tire mounting machine. The normal tire mounting machines can't handle the extra stiff sidewall of the rf. So if you get a flat in an RF, you have to find the special shop to repair it. They're growing in number, but aren't saturated yet by any means. With my new TRZ's, any tire mounting machine can take it off, then plug patch it, then put it back on. Thus, my places to repair it are up ten fold. I also carry a compressor, a plug kit, a bottle of sealant, and a AAA plus card (100 mi free towing). The TRZ is also an 80K mi warrantied tire.

My Bridgstones did OK. They liked to wear on the shoulder. I found if I kept them firm at 40psi, they wore much more evenly. Made for a firmer ride though. I had 28K mi them. Could have easily gotten 30-35K, but I rotated religiously every 5K mi.

Just my 2 cents.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I had my first serious encounter with a steady cold rain yesterday, and I was shocked at how bad the defogging in the Sienna is. With the heat all the way up, the fan all the way up and the control set to defrost only - I was not able to fully clear the front windshield and two front side windows (there was fog around the edges), and the rear windows were totally fogged up. Even after 20 minutes. This is by far the worst defogging I have experienced in any airconditioned car I have owned - the only vehicle being about the same is a '76 plymouth Volore without A/C.

My question is. Is this normal? Is something wrong with my car? There was absolutely no difference between having the A/C and and off. All previous cars I have owned with A/C were able to clear the entire car in the same situation in less than a minute with the a/c engaged (and were about the same as the Sienna without the A/C.

BTW I have the manual A/C and the temp outside was about 34 degrees with a steady rain. Does the low outside temp mean that the A/C won't work - if so, then this is a dangerous situation.
  • cgsiennacgsienna Member Posts: 1
    Easy fix. Do not use recirculated air when defogging. Make sure that the lever is set to intake fresh air. Had a Camry and Sienna and both were the same way. This should easily correct your problem.
    I wish it was that simple. I did use fresh air, and in fact the manual says that if you are in recirc mode it will automatically switch to fresh air when defog is engaged.
    Because there is a law of physics that says water will freeze below 32F all modern day A/C compressors are automatically disabled before the OAT declines to freezing level. Otherwise you might find yourself with a huge block of ice caked into the A/C evaporator blocking ALL system airflow.

In order for the A/C to dehumidify the incoming airflow and thereby be of help defogging the windshield it must chill the incoming airflow down to dewpoint. With the minimum operating temperature of the A/C compressor being slightly above freezing, and the OAT already so near freezing that just simply ain't going to happen.

As a matter of fact, beginning with an OAT consistently at or below ~47F, the outside air must be extraordinarily humid for the A/C to be of any use for dehumidification, windshield clearing, purposes at all.

Something I don't understand...

In the conditions you describe, which actually are pretty standard with a Toyota/Lexus vehicle due to the inherent flaws in their HVAC design, my RX300 will blow so much HOT air to the windshield it will quickly drive you out of the car.

Of course that's assuming the engine water jacket is already above 130F. Before activating defrost/defog/demist I always select MAX HEAT on my automatic climate control system, and that results in LOTS of really HOT airflow to the windshield.

I now have a microprocessor modification in my RX which automatically moves the mixing vane to max heat position when it detects that the outlet airflow control is moving toward the defrost/defog/demist position.

If your engine coolant was already HOT and you turned the heat level to max and you still did not get HOT airflow to the windshield then something is defective. If you got lots of airflow to the windshield but it was not heated airflow then the system's reheat mixing vane has failed. If you didn't get very much airflow at all to the windshield the problem is likely the defrost/defog/demist outlet airflow routing control.

In any case most of us with experience with these idiot Toyota/Lexus HVAC systems designed by NipponDenso, Denso US, have learned to live with them. One of the "secrets" is to lower the rear windows slightly at the very first indication of condensation on the windshield.
    So the answer to the question is - yes this is normal.

I understand physics, but every other car I have had could (and does) handle the situation fine. Just push in the little A/C button and presto - even below 47 degrees.

Why would the outside air have to be humid for the A/C to be effective (it was since it was raining)? It is the inside air that is being dehumidified. I would think dry outside air would be best.

Yes the car was very hot - there was plenty of hot air flowing to the windshield, but driving 60 mph into a 45 mph wind (gusting to 55) takes a lot of that heat out! After 20 minutes of no progress I just turned the air volume down (to cool things off a little) the noise and heat were annoying. The windows did not get any worse.

Once the temp got down into the mid 20's and the precip turned to snow the windows finally cleared.

I long for cars that let the driver make more decisions if they want to,
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I don't have a Sienna, but in my car the A/C comes on automatically on defrost of the temp is over 39 degrees. Did you try cleaning the inside of the windshield? In my car, it seems like the new A/C seems to build up a film on the inside of the windshield, so unless I keep it clean it takes a long time to clear it.
    I did not specifically clean the windshield - the car is only a few weeks old and it is not dirty. Nevertheless, interesting thought -I can give it a try.
    Oops....

"...few weeks old and it is not dirty."

Plastic & vinyl components in a new car "outgas" their plastisizer soils horribly for at least the first six months. That typically forms a thin transparent film on the glass surfaces and that makes those surfaces much more subject to misting over, and at the same time especially difficult to demist/defog.

The reason your windshield fogged over was because the cabin air, atmosphere, was humid enough that the CHILLED windshield surface (COLD onrushing airflow continuously impinging on the exterior surface) was very likely well below the dewpoint of the cabin air.

As you said, the system automatically switches to fresh incoming airflow when you select defrost/defog/demist. So it is the already COLD outside incoming airflow that the A/C is trying to dehumidify by further chilling it.

But admittedly your circumstance does seem extreme. The only time I have had a "like" situation was by driving up to the slopes on a COLD day to pick up two very wet and sweaty snow skiers. They and their clothing humidified the car's passenger cabin beyond the capability of the system. But even in that case lowering the rear windows for the initial 5 miles or so solved the windshield fogging problem.
    I will definately clean the windows then, and hope for the best. Yes it was a pretty extreme situation weather wise. Adding to that were 5 people exhaling humid air - 3 of whom had just come from a swim meet and had wet towels etc. (though the towels were tucked away in a bag).

Nevertheless it was still frustrating in a new vehicle.

Outgas - otherwise known as new car smell. :)
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i have found, in the SE where we can have cold fall days with high humidity, whenever i have had difficulty getting the windshield cleared (my '02 Accord and '03 Odyssey automatically select AC when I select the windshield as the destination of the airflow), i needed to clean the inside of the windshield (i use windex). when that's done, the defrost setting seems much more effective.

the point being, not only do you want to take care of any initial film buildup due to outgassing of the interior components when the vehicle is new, it's a good thing to clean the inside of the windshield on a periodic basis.
    "...it's a good thing to clean the inside of the windshield on a periodic basis."

Yes, the outgassing declines but never really stops. There is also the issue of smoking in the car. If you often have a smoker on board then the thin film (nicotine??)from smoking will build up fairly quickly also.
This discussion has been closed.