Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    I did not have Toyota install my hitch because of the cost. I used Ziebart at about half the cost for a hidden hitch which looks identical to the hitch used by Toyota. Also wanted the 2 inch receiver and my Toyota dealer was not sure if he could get anything other then the 1 1/4 inch receiver. The end result however is no different as the clearance is about the same; I also scrap going out driveways with moderate inclines and areas as described in previous post. Will be interested in any sollution karenr1230 way get from her dealer.
  • vgrinshpunvgrinshpun Member Posts: 36
    I bought Toyota Sienna LE AWD back in April and tried to get dealer installed hitch, which was not available at that time. I bought Class III 2" hitch manufactured by "Hidden Hitch" from hitches4less.com for $159.99 including shipping. This was the only 2" hitch available for Toyota Sienna 2004.

My driveway has substantial incline, and I never had any problems with the clearance. The clearance between the bottom of the hitch receiver and ground is approximately 9.5". Also receiver sits right under the rear bumper and is set back couple of inches from bumper facia. Note that I have AWD model which comes with 17" wheels (225/60R17) vs. 16" (215/60R16) for 2WD LE. It might have something to do with the clearance problem if one assumes exactly the same suspension height setup.
  • karenr1230karenr1230 Member Posts: 2
    The trailer hitch (installed at Toyota dealership) scrapes almost every time we pull in or out of a parking lot (with a medium to small dip), or go over speedbumps etc. It happens intermitently when the only person in the van is the driver, and happens all the time if we have passengers. We cringe at the thought of trying to pull pull a loaded trailer, with the van loaded. It seems to me that the hitch we have should not have been offered as an accessory for this vehicle. We're waiting to see how our dealership plans to rectify this problem.
  • karenr1230karenr1230 Member Posts: 2
    Update: Yesterday we took 4 of the Toyota service dept reps (including the manager) for a ride in our Sienna, so they could experience first hand the wonderful feeling when the hitch hits the street (especially when you're not expecting it). The jolt is quite an uncomfortable feeling. And we're worried about the long term affect it will have on the van (rattling, frame, etc). Prior to our "fieldtrip", they were insisting that there was nothing wrong with our hitch, its design, or the way it was installed. Now they understand...and have a call into their location in Jacksonville in order to resolve this problem. We should be hearing something soon. My only worry is that the only solution found will be to remove the hitch, which we need to pull our trailer. Plus we already bought the Toyota cargo tray & box, which attaches to the hitch. I'll send updates to this problem, as they happen.
  • st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    I am person who opened this discussion, because thoughts about buying Quest2004, Sienna 2004.... or Ody 2003. ----- Got Ody 2003 EX 6 months ago because of lower price while having both power doors + climate controll + similar features while not first year model. So far - so good(8,000 miles). Didn't have single issue from day I bought this vehicle.
    And I love it. It's so damn good.
  • impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    Except that you got a noisy P*S. Just kidding!.
  • hdtranhdtran Member Posts: 1
    According to the owner's manual, if you use the "door" setting for the interior lights (lights on automatically when a door is open, lights off when door is closed, etc.), the lights are supposed to turn themselves off automatically after 20 minutes, even if the door is left open.
  • beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    The manual and Toyota do not say the same thing. Toyota says that it applies only for the front door and the front interior light and only when the door is open (not close). I tried it and this is true, the 2 front interior lights turn off after 20 minutes... but the light at the bottom of the front door remains on... still discharging the battery... not very useful. If any of the other interior light was manually turned on (or turned on by an open sliding door or back door), they will empty the battery. Poor design.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    This shows some of the strange inconsistencies of features included between "domestic" and "foreign" car companies. My 2003 Yukon XL SLE (the lowest trim level), shuts off any and all interior lights after 10 minutes. Further, when it turns off those lights it fades them down (nice when you've just gotten into the car and your eyes are still adjusting).

The Yukon also has standard automatic headlights, DRLs, heated power side mirrors, autodimming rear view mirror, 3-way climate control, and a 9-speaker Bose audio system that can be set to adjust the volume to compensate for the extra noise speed brings (and it has low, medium and high settings for doing so, depending on how much extra volume you personally need).

Now it is true, that I got a very good deal on a leftover 2003 at $30,700 or so. But the Siennas and maybe most of the Lexus models do not have all those features at any price, do they?

It just shows that the vehicle choices do not necessarily fall on a linear scale from worst to best. You have to find the mix that suits you best, appreciate what you've found, and put up with the features that are missing. Such is life....
  • gregali119gregali119 Member Posts: 8
    Here's one for you, I purchased a 2004 Toyota Sienna van in early December 2003. In late December and after 700 miles, the car developed transmission problems which was eventually traced back to the ECU, a computer that controls shifting. The car has been garaged at the dealer's shop since Dec. 29, 2003 and as of this date, Jan. 16,2004, it is still there because the ECU is not available and is no where to be found in the inventory system. The dealer is as frustrated as I am because we keep getting bad information as to where and when the part will come available.
       Calling Corporate customer service is a joke because all they do is call the dealer and get the same info I give them and then say they will look into it. A call from the Corporate parts division claims they do not know where the part is available but they will call back in a couple of days. What a fiasco this has been. I am totally disillusioned with Toyota and it's lace of responsibility to it's customers. I hope no one else has to run into a similar situation.
    but when the newly-redesigned Honda Odyssey came out in 1999, it was as wildly popular as the Sienna is now (maybe more). They had exactly the same problem in supplying parts for damaged or defective cases. I remember one guy who wrecked the vehicle and couldn't get body panels for months.

It seems this is a nasty side-effect of Toyota building a vehicle that turns out as perhaps more of a success than they planned on it being.
  • lalalalalalalalalala Member Posts: 30
    Sorry to hear your experience, do you mind sharing with us which model you have & what the symptoms are when you decide to take it back to the dealer? I bought mine in early December too & after hearing the TSB related to the transmission here, I took my van back to the dealer to have a look. They said that the TSB does not apply to my VIN & everything is within spec. My previous car was a Camry & I'm used to light touches on the gas pedal/brake, with this Sienna, I find myself having to push the gas pedal down quite a bit more if I need acceleration after coming to a stop.
    Sounds like you may have a similar problem!
    I purchased a seven passenger Sienne LE with a #7 package which included all around disk brakes,vehicle skid control and TRAC.
    All went well when, after 700 miles the engine warning light on the dash went on and indicated there was a problem with the VSC and TRAC components. The dealer's service department diagnosed the problem as a solenoid malfunction in the transmission. As it turned out, the diagnosing procedures evidently were incorrect and the problem was traced to the ECU (electric control unit) which is a small computer that regulates shifting.
    Once the warning lights came on, I noticed that I had the same situation as you describe, i. e. in order to get the car moving, I had to race the engine to do so. The service people explained that the reason was the transmission was not shifting into first gear as the car reduced speed. Upon re acceleration, the transmisson was in second gear thereby calling for more enging power to move it. Once the car got going again it seems to shift into other higher gears OK.
    In any event, I would suggest you see your service people for a check. My service people also told me that the TSB cited in this forum did not apply to my van.
    Evidently, there seems to be a problem with the diagnosing procedure which is the reason for the error in the first place.
  • stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    Hi all,
    I'm considering purchasing a new Sienna for our next vehicle and wanted to hear how well the engine/trans combo works for towing. I've read all the threads about hitch problems, so i'm aware of that one.

Specifically, we have a 2000# popup camper that we like to use a lot in summer. Does anyone have some towing experiences to report? Will the van be strained at 70mph (fastest speed i ever go when towing) on the freeway?

Thanks
    thanks for responding, I took mine to the dealer at around 900 miles, other than that hesitation (1 or 2 seconds)in low speed acceleration I have no other complaints at this time, I'll keep all records of correspondence with the dealer regarding this & definitely keep my eyes on the dash for any signs of warning lights & the rpm gauge. The reason I bought this Sienna was because of my very good experience with the 95 Camry. I had the 1st brake job done at around 90K miles, it was a boring car but very reliable & quiet (a must) compared to Honda. I hope this Sienna will be trouble free as well.
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    We don't have a regular hitch scraping problem nor any towing problems.

Our hitch is a class II and fits snug under the bumper. The ground clearance is not great, but still, we rarely ever scrape the hitch on the ground. We do go slow when exiting parking lots with a dip. Perhaps we've scraped it a half dozen times since we got it, which was 9 months ago. The van tows the camper great and we have tons of power. Hope that helps.
  • bogwoppitbogwoppit Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my Sienna CE 8 seater on Friday, I drove 40 km home, all very nice, the next morning I drove about 17km stopped did some errands, drove a further 10km stopped for an hour. When I came out to the van it started bu none of the electrical components would work, that is I could not put it in gear, I had no lights, indicators, odometer, no raido, no electrical windows or locking. My hubby came to rescue me from the, we started the van whilst we checked the battery, all seemed fine, after running for 15 minutes all the electrical equipment came on, without us touching anything. We drove it to the dealership and abandoned it there.

What do you think, a major lemon, scared the heck out of me, could happen anytime and I drive a lot with 3 kids, no lights etc is a bit much.

Ever heard of this before, I have to call thedealership at 8am tomorrow, I need some input on this isuue....
  • bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    Have any of you tried to wash your Sienna at the car wash? I was shocked when I opened the doors and found water had leaked onto the inside frames on all 5 doors.Gee, I expected more from Toyota.
  • lovemyaccordslovemyaccords Member Posts: 21
    Best way to do this, is to do what I did - I didn't want to remove the new radio that came with the car and worked fine. I wanted to install an X-M product and there are 2 that work if you have a cassette player - I chose the ROADY as it is VERY SMALL and fits nicely in a spot I found in the Sienna. It does mean foregoing one cubbyhole for storage, but I wanted to put it nearby and not off on the dash somewhere which would be ugly. I installed it with just the bracket, and not the swivel. The bracket is stuck on with tape they supply, and the Roady fits into the bracket so it can pop out easily.

I did a quick 'n dirty install of the antenna - didn't even bother to put it on the roof - I just threw it up on the center of the dash and ran the wire along the well under the inside of the windshield, down and around some cracks in the dash fitting, and down to the radio. There is a little wiring showing at the unit, but it doesn't bother me. Reception is fine with the antenna on the dash! You can spend the $95 and have it professionally installed, but if you want to get going fast with a good solution right out of the box, this works great.

I had Sirius for over a year because of their being commercial-free, but their playlists were getting too repetetive and the sound quality wasn't good. X-M has much more variety, the sound was better, and this little Roady gem was just so easy to install, that dumped Sirius and have not regretted it - sound quality and programming is excellent. NOW THE GREAT NEWS! X-M will go commercial-free starting Feb. 1 2004 - so there's no longer any competition (unless you HAVE to have NPR which only Sirius has!)

See the pictures below for the placement of my Roady in the 2004 Sienna.

http://204.50.24.183/roady1.jpg

http://204.50.24.183/roady-close.jpg

http://204.50.24.183/roady-antenna.jpg

Wendy
  • xdivisionxdivision Member Posts: 3
    I noticed a leak on my Sienna last weak while the rear was in the up position. I inspected the rubber seals and found a puncture hole in it. I am not sure if it is a factory defect or that somthing got between the door and body to cause this. I have 7k on my 2004 and so far no problems.
    Maybe you have to be a very serious radio junky to pay extra and then have to stick-on a (sorry about this, but IMHO) crappy-looking piece of equipment into a new vehicle. In addition, I cannot imagine that a through-the-limited-quality-cassette connection could give you very much in the way of quality. I'll stick with over-the-air-radio and CDs, I believe. But, to each her/his own! ;-)
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I use to have the same problem with my '90 Taurus. It didn't start happening till I had over 100K miles, but the problem was the key was not "clicking" back to the "ON" position from the "START" position. I would just touch the key and then it would flip back (to on) and everything would be OK.
  • inthewoodsinthewoods Member Posts: 6
    I had a similar experience last winter with my 01 T&C. When I brought it to the dealer, everything worked normally, and they could not find anything wrong. After some convincing they checked again and found a bad battery. It had been frozen (yes we were in some very cold stuff when the problem started) After a year on the new battery, we have not seen it reappear. Good luck!
  • tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    I bought my XLE Limited on Dec 31 and have a similar experience on accelerating from a stop. My van has to hit over 2000 rpm before it starts to move. Pushing down on the accelerator is a drag and everyone passes you. Do you guys notice that you have to go over 2000 rpm also?
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    There are many features about the subscription radio networks that are great. First commercial free, if I don't want to hear a blowhard go on about this or that I don't have to. I can hear exactly the mix I prefer, anywhere in the US rather than suffering from podunk nowhere programming.

The quality is near CD, none of the compression of normal FM stereo, putting it through a cassette converter although not perfect is better than the FM option as you get much better SN, stereo separation and dynamic range. No its not CD quality but its pretty good. Unfortunately no direct input has been engineered for the new Sienna (and several other Toyotas) stereos yet but both PIE and others are working on it so a direct AUX input will be possible.

As for looks, I can understand your sentiments, but consider that you can use the same unit in several cars and at home.

I am not yet a user of either system, but can assure you that most anyone would notice the difference especially if you like CD quality. Some positives over CD are that you won't toast expensive CDs or lose them to a break in. The XM can be put in your shirt pocket and taken with you with ease. This is among the many reasons to go with XM or even a multigig MP3 player so you can lots of qualtiy, quantity and portability.
    If you are reving up to 2000 rpm to get the car moving, I would definitely have it checked out. My LE worked fine in the beginning and had no problem accelerating from 1st gear. At 700 miles it was very noticeable reving up to get started, particularly starting from dead stop on an incline. The engine was louder and it took some time to get the car really moving which wasn't the case in the beginning.

After three weeks of haggling, I have just been notified today that the computer that controls electonic shifting has arrived and has been installed. I will pick up the car tomorrow.

Have your's checked out before it goes too far. Make sure the technician road tests it because the test module used to find electronic problems did not find the problem. It was discovered only after they installed a new transmission and they found the same problem still existed.
    Good Luck
    Thank you for the advantages discussion. I can see how people could get hooked on it, especially if you like variety and don't want to keep shuffling potentially theft/loss/damage-prone CDs around with you.

Admittedly, I personally don't spend as much time in the car as I used to do. Plus, that time tends to be more occupied with keeping peace in the middle-row seats, satisfying the seemingly-endless litany of food/drink/attention needs/desires assaulting my senses from that region, and enjoying the all-too-infrequent peaceful interludes when peace and sometimes even silence reigns mid-vehicle. Actually listening to music isn't something I can indulge in very much any more. But then, there are other rewards inherent in the lovable little munchkins whose "music" I now enjoy. :-)
    I admit I have never driven a van before, my previous driving experience were: Camry (v6), Accord (V6), & Cutlass Supreme (V6). So I really don't know what to expect from a van in terms of acceleration at low speed as compared to a sedan. My van has just passed the 1,600 miles mark, the initial acceleration after a complete stop has improved some what recently,but I still notice that drag if I slow from 30 mph to 15 mph, without coming to a stop, then accelerate again to 30 mph. I also notice the van is running very smooth & responsive cruising on the interstate. At low speed acceleration, I do have to go up to 2,000+ rpm to get it going. I thought as long as the rpm is not in the red zone, the van should be OK? so far it hasn't been on the red zone on mine.

to gregali119, have you had a chance to test drive your van yet after they fix it? pls keep us posted on how things are.
  • tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your response and advise about having the technician road test it. Keep us posted on how the fix went.
    I got my van back today and drove it around town and out on the highway to check it out. Everything is working smoothly so it appears the problem is fixed. I did check out the rpms after tsunami said that he had to get up to 2000 to get moving. My van now shifts from first to second at approximately 1500 rpm if I go slowly and watch the tach rev up and then drop down as it shifts. If I give it more power, it does go up further before I see it drop so, perhaps I was a little hasty to say that 2000 was too high.
    It does move much easier from start up and I don't get any hesitation now when the car shifts into high gears or when it shifts down.

That's all I can say now and I know that it isn't much. I'm taking the car cross country from New England (Go Pats) to Texas on the 22nd and then on to Phoenix. Hopefully, all will be OK.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Noticed a peculiar thing: When I was test driving a LTD FWD a couple of days ago. (I don’t know if it was just this particular minivan's problem or not) I noticed that when the vehicle was not running the tachometer was not resting at zero. The arm was up somewhere above 0 but below 2. Is this in the design of the tachometer? Or was this a problem with this particular instrument? Just wondering? Does anyone notice the same with theirs?
  • gordy6gordy6 Member Posts: 14
    The tachometer arm on our XLE FWD rests at zero
    We took our 2004 Sienna in for the transmission problem and a few other things. They said Toyota has acknowledged that the sour smell coming from under the car is a faulty Catalytic Converter - but there is no fix for it yet! Just add it to the list...

They flashed/updated the ECU. I hope this fixes the problems, we will pick the car up tonight.

The dealer refused to touch up the paint chips - WHY? Said we should do it! The manual says all chips should be touched up right away so they don't rust. Dealer is Koons Tyson's Toyota in Vienna, VA. Anyone else have any experience here?

Wendy
  • jxg123jxg123 Member Posts: 6
    We are experiencing a sour smell inside the vehicle (04 XLE AWD, leather). We were thinking it's because the new-car smell suddenly turned sour and waiting for it to dissipate. After seeing your message, it sounds like a real problem with car itself. My question is, if the catalystic converter is faulty, why can't they change it to a new one?
  • roeyroey Member Posts: 5
    I have a LE/8 with BW pkg. Package listed as having Daytime running lights. They are not on the vehicle. Auto on and off is standard on LE, but not DRL which is upgraded. I went to dealer today to ask if they could "figure it out". They said they are not there, mgr not there to give solution, need advice, what would others do in this situation??
  • impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    Apparently as part of the Predelivery Inspection (PDI) a fuse/ relay has to be plugged in for DRL activation. But, some of the dealerships are clueless, so it isn't done. If your car came with DRLs I would definitely check this out. Details are posted somewherelse on the internet for you to find!.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It isn't very likely that the problem really lies with the catalytic converter. It is much more likely that some engine control/performance software parameter has been screwed up causing early catalytic converter "failure".

No reason for converter replacement until cause of failure is isolated.

But the smell is "sour"???

Maybe like mould or mildew??

If so then see:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Here is what BBB has to say about them:

"Based on BBB files, the company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints. Some customer complaints presented by the Bureau were resolved, however. The company responded to complaints with an explanation of the matter stating their position and the appropriate actions they have and/or would take.
    Complaints against this business concern advertising issues, contract disputes, guarantee or warranty issues, refund practices, repair issues and service issues."

Even Rosenthal dealers have satisfactory records. Need I say more?
    Touching up the paint chips is not the responsibility of the dealer or a warranty item.

Most dealers will have it touched up for you for a fee, as will any detailing or other bodyshop.

Did you offer to pay for this? Its an easy enough job, you can get the touch up paint at the dealer service department.

There may be many reasons to fault that dealer, but this is not one of them.
  • mercier1mercier1 Member Posts: 14
    I have noticed that when my driver side sliding door opens, the lights inside do not turn on. The passenger door, however does trigger the lights to turn on. Any suggestions are appreciated. The console switch is set to "door"
    Paul

XLE Artic Frost Pearl, Package 12
  • ferina77ferina77 Member Posts: 1
    5000miles so far.
    stiff and stiff compare quest or caravan.
    It's strange and really disappointed.
    This is not a 'toyota quallity'.
    I think only my sienna have a problem.
    dealer says 'looks normal'.
    what should I do?
    Do you mean the ride is stiff? Keep in mind this is a vehicle which can have a very different gross vehicle wieght depending on the loading. 8 passengers and luggage and a trailer versus just you and one little tike.

If you could be more explicit as to the problem, we may have some suggestions. I wouldn't expect it to ride like a Lexus, it is a van after all.
  • alaputalaput Member Posts: 19
    Have 300mi on an LE 8 and reading about gregali119's acceleration problem made me think of the slight lag I noticed from stop when the accelerator is depressed. Is this a normal characteristic of electronic throttle control?
    thanks,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our editors seem to like the steering just fine:

Long-Term Test: 2004 Toyota Sienna

To rule out the obvious, are the tire pressures to spec?

That link also mentions that the Sienna engine earned so-so marks, but they don't mention lag specifically - just want more acceleration without having to punch it.

Steve, Host
    Yes, this is a REAL problem as Toyota has admitted it, but I too do not understand how they don't have a fix for it yet. At least we know there will be a fix on the way I am sure - prolly as a recall and you will get notice in the mail.

BTW, the transmission software update improved the shifting/performance greatly. Can any of you tell me approx. what speed in mph that your transmission shifts into 3rd at?

Thanks, Wendy
    Mine did this too, you need to take it in and have them update the computer with new software, the aceleration problem will go away then.

Wendy
    that the problem is a faulty converter or that Toyota has admitted it or that there is no fix for it.

The smell you describe is often the result of running rich, ie more fuel than can be burned with the available oxygen. It may well be dumping a bit more unburned hydrocarbon into the cat than it can catalyze at startup.

A catalytic converter needs time to heat up to be able to convert different elements of combustion into less harmful forms. At startup they are less efficient and under heavy load (again often a rich condition) may be overcome and unable to catalyze all of the gases completely.

It is quite normal for cold start gases to smell much worse than normal operation odors due to the rich condition an engine needs at startup and the converter not being up to temperature.

I have not seen any evidence that Toyota has admitted to this being a real problem with the Sienna. I participate in another board about the Sienna and there are Toyota service people who participate there and none have mentioned this, nor has anyone else complained about it. The Toyota dealer has admitted its a problem they don't know how to solve or that the service writer doesn't understand but is trying to satisfy a customer.

If this is really a problem, a catalytic converter can be acquired, or new O2 sensors or other recalibration of the injection system can be performed. Given Toyota's experience with this engine family across multiple product lines, I am very sure they can figure out this problem.

I would ask to have the Toyota regional service representative get involved to help resolve this.
    Some VW owners have also complained about poor throttle response with drive by wire accelerators. On our Sienna we haven't noticed this problem, but we tend not to really get on it due to where we live and still breaking our Sienna in.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I have been following this problem the exhaust smell and I believe that it is normal under some conditions. I own a 2000 Chrysler and a 2002 Old and they both have that smell when I turn them off and walk around the back of them in the garage. Both of my sons own Toyotas and a friend owns a Nissan Murano 2003 and guess what, they all have the same problem.

I can't believe that all of these cars have bad cat's.
  • grapevinetxgrapevinetx Member Posts: 89
    The common recommendation from the dealers seems to be to seek out lower sulphur brands of gasoline, although not all who have done this report it to be of great help. Seems that in a given geographic area (presumably using similar gasoline) some Sienna owners have the sulphur smell while some do not. Suggests that neither the cat nor gasoline quality are the whole story. I fully agree that an engine that is running too rich would make the issue worse and I believe that some have reported improvement after having the mass air flow sensor replaced.

The sulphur smell is not isolated to Siennas, or even to Toyotas, but rather is reported by many owners of newer models. Seems to be a bit more predominant in the Japanese makes. If you haven't already, take a look at the boards for Accord, Corolla, Protege, among others.

Lovemyaccords, hope that your dealer is right and able to quickly resolve your issue. Just can't help but notice that many with the sulphur smell are quite concerned (not hard to understand why) and that not all have been successful in getting a fix.
This discussion has been closed.