Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• Options
    postmanpostman Member Posts: 3
    When I start the van for the first time each day, I hear a loud squeak from the engine area as I'm turning the key. It usually only makes the noise once a day. It has become progressively louder. I took the van to the dealer but they couldn't find anything. They checked the belts but they were fine. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas what it might be? Thanks!
  • Options
    gao_meigao_mei Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have owned this 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 4WD for only 4 months, now the AC is broken!!! The dealer said it is a defect and would take 3 weeks for the parts. Has anybody else have problems???? Is there any place I can complain?

Thanks
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    You can check you owners manual for the number to Toyota.
  • Options
    canuck2canuck2 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Cybernut04 -

I'm very sorry to hear what you're going through . We purchased a 2004 Sienna LE AWD in July of last year and had similar responses from our dealership . I would definitely take advice from others and get the Transmission problem checked further if the problem continues. Some of the other Sienna owners getting the TSB Transmission fix seem to be having luck with it. I've chatted with numerous owners who still have the problem after the software change or software flashes have been performed. Several have even had there transmissions replaced in an attempt to stop the problem. I've also read where some of these replaced transmissions even had metal particles in the fluid . Related Issue ??? who Knows

Some of the other people on the site could better update you on the current progress Toyota is making with this Problem. Unfortunately our vehicle had an extreme case of unpredictable jerks,hesitations and full throttle accelerations.And our dealer caused more problems than helped . We walked away from the vehicle after 4 months and before the software fixes started coming out in November. The best the owner of our dealership offered us was to drive it in 3rd gear while waiting for the new software to be developed. We had some scary close calls in everything from parking lot to highway traffic and decided to take the loss and not risk our safety any longer.We were told at that time the problem existed in the complete product line and was in the transmission's software.We were told the problem would vary with road conditions,the loading of the vehicle ,the driver, the accelerator pedal position and the speed the vehicle was moving . Initially before our dealer admitted there was a problem , we were told that we " Hadn't taught the transmission to drive properly "( similar to what you were told). Our dealer was very unproffesional -But There are a lot of good ones out there.

It does sound like some positive headway is being made .I hope you find a helpfull dealer and everything works out for you and your family.

On a positive note - when the vehicle drove properly it was one of the nicest vehicles we had ever owned. It has a lot of great features

Take care and best wishes to you and your family

Signed - Poorer but wiser Canuck
  • Options
    rf1rf1 Member Posts: 1
    owner of 2004 sienna. 11.5k Miles. Radiator replaced. Had dealer check brakes and uneven gear shifting at about 5K miles. Told that the uneven shifting was due to throttle-by-wire (I'm guessing software glitch)and that no repair available. Has anybody experienced the same and given same explanation? Also, back to the brakes, experiencing uneven braking action especially going down hill. Just recently experienced pulsation of brake pedal. (worped rotors? 11.5K miles) Anybody experience this? Feedback appreciated.
  • Options
    momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    today while loading the trunk put two strollers in the well and a cooler along with some bags. the rear wall in the well along the outside of the van (the plastic covering ) closest to where your legs would be against the back of the van . On the drivers side the cooler must have dented the well. The plastic is dented inward . The space behind there must be hollow for this to happen. i would guess the dealer could look at it when it goes in for the first oil change . it is inside the van and only bothers me as no one else can see it . Just wondering if it has happend to anyone else with a lot of stuff in the well area. other then that all is well KNOCK ON WOOD .
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    NOT!

An E-throttle gives the software guys more control over your driving style. Want to JAM the throttle causing a downshift while turning hard right?

NOT!

FWD vehicles lose control (torque steer, understeering, etc.) too easily that way.

Only God know just how many VSC algorithms are enabled by that e-throttle.
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    mine is that way.
    i thought it was made that way.
    i like it like that, because it makes fitting larger objects in that much easier. Plus, it fits my youngest's stoller perfectly with out taking the wheels off. boy!, that stroller is a tank :)
  • Options
    what I did loaded the van and never noticed it. i know it was flat the day before and not dented in because i had to vacume it out as my middle child sitting in the back spilled a bag of chips between the rear seats and i had to flip and fold the seats to clean up the mess so the trunk was empty. I guess it is common and it really isn't a big deal as I folded the rear seat and it has no effect on that . Not a big concern but wanted to know if it was common.
  • Options
    storm11storm11 Member Posts: 38
    Postman: I have an LE8 and experienced the exact same problem. Only upon the first start up of the day did the squeak occur. I knew it had to be a loose belt issue. On my first service visit, they gave me the same spiel you're getting. On the second visit, I was more insistent on them resolving the issue, as I knew belt slippage will prematurely wear the belts out.

Theory was correct. The A/C belt was loose. They tightened it and the problem is gone. Be more insistent. It seems they only really pay attention when they realize you won't accept a flimsy explanation to get them off the hook temporarily.

Good luck.
  • Options
    drah311drah311 Member Posts: 8
    Our sales person said that we could use the regular unleaded gas but the engine might ping though it would not hurt the engine. Despite the high cost of gas, for an additional 10 cents a gallon (comes to $2.00 a fillup) I don't mind paying for the mid grade unleaded but I don't feel like throwing money out the windo either. What experiences have others had? My XLE is a week old today. We are doing the varying speed routine for teh first 1000 miles as the sales person suggested. Love this car.
  • Options
    The manual states that regular unleaded is acceptable. I know of a other forum member who did some testing using a OBD2 software system with his computer:

EWT wrote:
    I did some more testing of timing advance with the OBD-II software, and I'm fairly sure 91 octane doesn't make any difference relative to 87. The reason I'm hedging somewhat is that the software displays data in real time, but only logs about 1 frame/second, which makes it impossible to determine if octane has any effect under hard accleration because you just get a random "snapshot" of timing rather than a nice continuous stream of data to look at. The "snapshots" are too random and incomplete to draw any conclusions from and watching it in real time doesn't work either because it updates very quickly, and you need to reference the timing advance to the gear/rpm to draw any conclusions.

87 vs. 91 octane doesn't make any difference in timing cruising at 35 or 70 mph, and from my experience with other cars, using too-low octane gas would show up there as well. I'd guess that Toyota didn't map timing advance aggressively enough to take advantage of 91 octane. It might make a difference towing a boat up a mountain, but it doesn't look like it matters for normal driving.

You definitely are not "mistreating" or "abusing" your Sienna by using 87 octane. Use 87 octane and save $.20 a gallon.
  • Options
    racerx1racerx1 Member Posts: 35
    How long (miles) did it take for the car to develop the tranny problems? I've been thinking about replacing my '00 Ody for a new Sienna but have been keeping an eye on 1st yr model problems with the Sienna.
  • Options
    Hey Racerx1 -

The problems we had started on the drive home from the dealership the first day. The initial problems were mainly the feeling something wasn't right. Jerky rough shifting and some hesitations when you would step on the gas . The problem seemed worse when my wife drove initially. But after 4 months and 8000km the problem had grown in severity and frequency and it didn't matter who drove. One instance in a parking lot ,I pressed the accelerator pedal slightly just to start moving towards the exit and the vehicle paused , then shot up in revs to 5000rpm and lurched us forward.

It did this on other occasions under varying circumstances. It wasn't repeatable nor predictable. The overall shifting charachteristics caused problems where we no longer used the cruise control either.We became scared with the behavior and finally walked away from the vehicle. We drove several other Siennas at the time and never experienced the severe surges. But they all had the jerky rough shift trait and pause in the shifting or acceleration to some extent or another.It sounds like things are getting better with this problem since software changes in Nov 03 but we still hear of people complaining about the shifting on new vehicles they bought just this month.

Our dealer hadn't flashed the memory or tried anything to resolve our problems.They said the problem was in the software and told us to drive around in 3rd gear to try and minimize the problem untill a software fix came out,we didn't wait that long.

We were told the problem would vary n every Sienna, by vehicle type and loading,driver,speed of travel,accelerator pedal positon and road conditions.

I think the problem still exists but is a lot better. I would personally go with a 2005 but with a 2004 or a 2005 I would try and drive the actual vehicle you intend to purchase on at least a 24 hour test drive if you can. If there is more than one driver I would recommend you each try driving it for a period of time.

Some of the other members may have some recommendations based on currently built vehicles or ones with current software.Like I say ours was an early 2004 LE AWD with no changes,upgrades or attempts to see if the problem was beyond software.

When they run good they are a nice vehicle . They have a lot of excellent options.

What ever you choose I sincerely hope it works out good for you and your family.

Canuck2
  • Options
    Hey RacerX1 -

Not to keep yattering but a few minor typical new car bugs to watch for are :

Check the weather stripping on both back side vent windows.
    The piece in the bottom corner on both sides shaped like an L fell off on our vehicle.

Check the tire pressure on the run flat style tires . They need a higher operating pressure and all ours were underinflated causing some handling problems

Check the body panel clips that attach the plastic wrap around portion of the rear bumper to the rear quarter panel in the rear wheel well area. Ours weren't installed correctly and the panels kept unhinging and flapping.

Add some loktite to the antenna - ours was constantly wiggling loose.

Ask if the spray nozzels on the hood are the newest style. They've changed the design because they were popping off in use . I'm not sure what the newer ones look like. But ours popped off on the driverside and it took our dealer 12 weeks to replace it.Using a squeegee and a squirt bottle wasn't very impressive all summer long.
    I'm sure A competent dealer will probably do it for you in a matter of days should it happen to you.

Thats about it other than my Calgary dealer problems and I'll spare you those details.

If you get a vehicle with only the expected bugs here and there I think you'll like it.
  • Options
    Canuck2's experience has been an unusual one, I have read of only 3 trannys on the new Sienna being as bad as he describes, oddly two of them were owned by Canadians and were both early production cars. The other was much more recent and the dealer took the van back immediately. The other Canadian had his tranny replaced within weeks of buying it.

Some people have trouble adapting to the way the tranny and drive by wire throttle behaves. So far Toyota has made 1 software update to smooth the shifting on the tranny, which seems to have placated some owners.

So far this year Toyota has sold just under 90,000 Siennas (June figures) and last year sold 105,000 of them. If there were wide spread problems we would have heard much more. I spend a fair amount of time on several forums and beyond the complaints I mentioned (shifting/throttle) there have not been many failures.

I know of one forum member who read Canuck2's posts and took his Sienna in immediately to see if there were metal shavings in his tranny, there were not.

In any case, the tranny is covered under warranty and if it does fail it will be replaced. If you are really worried, buy an extended warranty that covers the first 100k miles.

The new Odyssey will soon be out (September) and will be a very nice alternative to the Sienna and will likely offer some nice features the Sienna does not. Like memory power seats for example. I would look strongly at both.
  • Options
    ccdccd Member Posts: 3
    For those owners with a rattling second row captain's chair here is what was printed on my repair order for my '04 Sienna purchased in March of 03, by the dealer when it was fixed this week: Labor Op. 710991A Failure Code 91/60 Found loose rivits and worn springs remove and replaced the driverside rear seat track adjuster assy 1 72030AE030. It is a pleasure not to hear that particular rattle any more! On a different topic, this past winter I was not impressed with the "heated windshield deicer grid" feature. Frankly, I could not even really notice it worked on the windshield. Has any one had any problems with this option not working?
  • Options
    racerx1racerx1 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the replies! Always leery of 1st yr models and will look closely at the 2005. Our Ody was a first yr and we had some problems with the power sliding doors - but the entire latch/sensor assembly was replaced at no charge and the car has been fine since. The only reason for looking at new vans was to get the side airbag curtains. I replaced my Subie with a Highlander for that reason - love my HL so far.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We're experiencing problems with our A/C as well. It blows warmer air at times and needs to be checked by the dealer.

I noticed a coolant smell but see no fluid leaking also so the radiator needs a checkup too.
  • Options
    docanadiandocanadian Member Posts: 3
    Have 2004 Sienna bought in Aug.,03. Has 10000 miles. Problem when on level road and coasting, when going from 4th.gear to 3rd. gear there is great engine braking. When speed decreases and drops into 2nd. gear, the car actually surges forward. There is less engine braking in 1st. gear than in 3rd. gear. Dealer has re-prom the software and problem is slightly better. Car seems to stay in 3rd. gear for less rpm but engine drag still there. Any help!!??
  • Options
    So are you manually shifting the car down into each gear? Normally the transmission is programmed to stay in the highest gear possible (5th) when coasting.

If you are manually shifting to that great an extent, it seems you are really working the car hard if you are manually shifting all the way down to 1. Keep in mind that brakes are much cheaper and easier to replace than a transmission.

Depending on where you live, ie Rocky Mtn area, I can easily see you wanting to use engine braking to ease the load on the brakes. Are you trying to rpm match as the transmission is shifting? That can mitigate some of the problem to make smoother downshifts.

We all have our driving habits, but on a modern car it is better to just coast and apply brakes than to down shift.
  • Options
    Check to be sure your radiator is topped up. If its getting low, the car will automatically shut off the AC as the engine heats up.
  • Options
    In the newer FWD, and front biased AWD, is programmed to alleviate much of the engine braking effects to prevent the extraordinarily high potential for loss of control.

I first noticed it in my 01 AWD RX300.

While the potential is really only present on a low traction surface since the manufaturers can't detect that you are left with no significant engine braking on FWD vehicles.

Go out and test drive a new BMW X3 or X5 if you want to get a "feel" for an AWD system (with definite rear bias) that provides tons of engine braking.
  • Options
    Am not manually shifting.This car has 5 sp. A.T. and F.W.D. and I am coasting on level road. Have heard that some Camry's with same engine have same problem. Never heard of gear train where 3rd. gear has more eng. braking than 1st. gear. Does the torque lock-up have anything to do with this problem?
  • Options
    devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone else encountered a problem with the power streering fluid leaking? We noticed this problem when the car would make a whining noise when we started it up. The whine changed pitched when the steering wheel was turned, which lead me to think we had a loose belt at first. But when I popped the hood and saw that the power steering fluid resevoir was nearly empty, I realized we had a leak of some sort.

I added the correct type of fluid (Dexron II/III ATF) and the whine went away, but I've noticed that the level of the fluid in the resevoir will drop a little bit everyday. And yes, I've checked it both when it's cold (car hasn't been running all day/night) and when it's warm (car has been running for 30 minutes or more). I have noticed some fluid on the ground. I don't see any signs of fluid leaking from the resevoir, which leads me to believe the leak is in the pump itself. Steering seems to be fine, so I don't think anything critical has been compromised by the low fluid level.

The van is an XLE Limited with 16K miles on it. It will be going to the dealer for it's 15K maintenance later this week, so I'll have them look at the leak. Just wondering if other people have encountered the same sort of leak.

Other than this relatively minor leak, the car seems to be holding up rather well for us. We're averaging about 20 to 21 MPG when driven on the highway (I5 at 80 to 85MPH with the AC on most of the way), and about 17 to 18 in the city. We're using 87 octane.
  • Options
    devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    I took the minivan to the dealer today. They said the leak is in the pump itself, possibly in the gasket that seperates the two halves of the pump. They didn't want me to drive the minivan while it was leaking fluid, so they're keeping it overnight and gave me a free rental car while they've got the minivan. They're going to go ahead and replace the pump under the terms of the new car warranty, which is what I would expect them to do. I should have the car back tommorow afternoon.
  • Options
    Still can't find...

Anyone out there...
  • Options
    chenfamilychenfamily Member Posts: 1
    While driving on highway at 65 MPH yesterday, we heard a boom. Initially, I thought one of car tires blew up, and immediately check with my children in back seats. Then we found the window glass on sliding door exploded. Fortunately, only my 2nd daughter got a very minor cut. We searched through the car and did not find any suspicious object or bullet. My current conclusion is that the window exploded by itself. I searched internet sites (e.g., www.siennaclub.org) and found a couple of similar incidents (but different window locations). I posted this message to check if Toyota made an inferior quality of auto glasses. Please let me know if you have similar experience.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jensiennajensienna Member Posts: 4
    MY WIFE AND I BOUGHT AN 04 SIENNA IN MARCH OR APRIL. FIRST THERE IS A NOISE COMING FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR AREA. IT IS SOME SORT OF RATTLE. IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE IT IS POOR WIND FLOW AROUND THE MIRROR OR.......... COULD IT BE SOMETHING INSIDE THE MIRROR LOOSE. WHEN I OPEN THE WINDOW, THE SOUND CHANGES, WHEN I MOVE MY HAND AROUND THE MIRROR IT SOMETIMES COMPLETELY STOPS. IT ONLY DOES THIS AT HYWAY SPEEDS OR ON VERY WINDY DAYS AT 35+MPH. ALSO, NO NOISE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO THE DEALER WITH WHATEVER INFO I CAN.
  • Options
    HERE IS MY ISSUE----WIFE DRIVES OUR 04 SIENNA MORE THAN I DO.(1850MILES) LAST NIGHT, I HAD BOTH KIDS IN VAN AND WHILE DRIVING, IN (D), GOING ALONG AT 40-45 MPH, IF I LET OFF THE GAS AND ALLOWED VAN TO COAST, THE VERY VERY SLIGHT PRESSING ON THE GAS PEDAL TO ACCELERATE, THERE IS TICK, CLICK THAT IS BARELY AUDIBLE EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THAT TICK OR CLICK RESONATES INTO THE STEERING WHEEL AND YOU CAN FEEL IT. DESCRIPTION OF SOUND ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE VERY EARLY SLOP/WEAR ON A CV JOINT OR U JOINT. ALSO PUT IN TO 4TH GEAR AND NO NOISE/FEELING. ANY IDEAS ON THIS???????????? I KNOW THIS NOISE/FEELING WAS NOT THERE A WEEK AGO. PLEASE ADVISE.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's hard to tell what you are asking - all caps is just too hard to read!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    You may be hearing the torque converter locking up and/or unlocking. Most manufacturers of FWD vehicles are doing everything they can to alleviate the hazards of engine braking during coastdown or braking.

Obviously the lower engine braking would result in an improvement in fuel economy also.

The shop manual for my 01 AWD RX says that anytime I apply the brakes the torque convertor is unlocked immediately.

There is a note somewhere indicating that under cruise control the torque converter lock-up and unlock is used to help maintain speed during coasting downhill so you don't have the same effect.

If you have a tachometer then watch it for how much it deviates just before and after your hear the "tick" a large deviation would indicate a torque converter lock/unlock.
  • Options
    come on steve help me out!!!! program at work requires all caps sorry
  • Options
    I thought teletype machines were just in the museums these days.

Seriously, all caps (at least in the civilian world) is considered shouting and rude behavior on the message boards (link). Glad you found a shift key :-).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    lovemyaccordslovemyaccords Member Posts: 21
    Hehe, very hard to find a good dealer in No. Va, isn't it? Have had bad luck with Koons to put it mildly - but we have tried Miller Toyota in Manassas as they came recommended highly (which is a ways to go), but they seem to be better than Koons. Bought at Koons, but will NEVER go back again for ANYTHING.

BTW, we got our LE in Nov. and have the exact same problem as you. Had the ECM update, but I am still unhappy. Drives differently, but no better. I dread the cold weather, the car is AWFUL when it gets cold.

I firmly believe, and I have been posting on this forum a while, that each car is DIFFERENT and you MUST drive the one you are buying for 24 hours to make sure it is "peppy" when starting from a standstill. I have been behind and besides '04 Siennas and have tried to see how I accelerate when the light turns greem as compared to these others. Twice they were XLE's driven by non-hot rod looking ladies :-) and, with my foot to the floor, I could NOT catch up to them (even turned the a/c off before moving). I have asked people in parking lots how they like their LE's and they all agree they are sluggish and slow to get up to speed. Are all XLE's peppier? Or was this just coincidence? I don't know, but it's worth looking into.

I am also VERY VERY disappointed with the Toyota paint - it is total crap - the slightest thing will scratch it - Honda paint is MUCH MUCH better, it takes a lot to mark up a Honda. Lexus is as bad as Toyota, surprise, surprise. My mom just got a Lexus and can't believe how easily it scratches - her Cadillac had paint akin to many coats of rubber - never a mark in 12 years! HOW CAN WE GET TOYOTA TO LISTEN ABOUT THE PAINT?? It makes the car feel and look very cheap when you can't even keep a brand new car looking new and free of scratches and dents - and I am careful to always park away from people in parking lots if I can.

Wendy
  • Options
    cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Have had bad luck with Koons to put it mildly - but we have tried Miller Toyota in Manassas as they came recommended highly (which is a ways to go), but they seem to be better than Koons. Bought at Koons, but will NEVER go back again for ANYTHING.

Well, I bought our LE from Miller - went back there because of the salesman - we bought our '91 Previa from him, and went back to buy our Sienna from him. Now is that loyalty or what? <smile>

BUT, I had my oil changed there - simple thing - but the didn't reset the "maintenance required" warning light. So the light comes on, I pull off the road, and go through the manual to figure out what had happened and how to do the reset.

THEN, I took the Sienna in for sluggish shifting. I have no problem with it shifting when accelerating from a stop - it seems to have plenty of pickup then, and goes smoothly through the gears. But this weekend I did some experimenting. I was on a level and straight road doing 35, and firmly pushed the accelerator down about an inch. The tachometer immediately registered the change, and then .... after a lag... and then some, the transmission kicked in and the van began to pick up speed. I tried it again at 45 - same thing.

So then I took my wife's car to the same road and did the same thing. She has an '04 Honda CR-V (you know, the ones that catch fire after their first oil change?). Anyway, I did exactly the same thing with the CR-V that I did with the Sienna. The CR-V has a smaller engine. I noticed a lag between pressing the accelerator and having the vehicle respond - some lag is normal, at least in all of the cars I've owned to date. But I would guess the lag in the CR-V to be a third to a quarter of the length of the lag in the Sienna.

Anyway, I took it in to Miller for the transmission, they "recalibrated the ECM", as far as I know they did not update the software (as per the TSB on this), and said that some lag is normal.

So I don't know if the fix described in the TSB will solve this for me or not, but I'll need to take it to another dealer to find out ... not Koons, though. <smile>
  • Options
    lynnemlynnem Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised to find that I am only getting about 15 MPG (bought 2/04), though the sticker says that I should be getting 18/24. Any idea whether I have a problem with my car or suggestions for how to improve mileage?

LynneM
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Alot depends on driving habits, so many factors involved. I'm getting 21 mpg, 90% HWY 10% City/w hills and A/C on 90% of the time. During the break in period when I was paying more attention to highway speeds @65 max, I was getting 23.5 mpg. Here's a link that "theracoon" posted on the CR-V thread, hope it helps.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml
  • Options
    Still searchin'....

echo..echo...echo...
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Is this what your looking for? If not, I would send Toyota an E-mail in the FAQ page. I've done it regarding detailed info on how the AWD system actually works, and got a response in about 4 days that was satisfactory IMO.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp- .php?p_sid=Monyt*gh&p_lva=&p_faqid=244&p_created=9851- 96940&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTg4JnBfcG- FnZT0y&p_li=
  • Options
    judyjudy Member Posts: 4
    We have a problem with our '04 Sienna (second row behind passenger seat retracting piece) seatbelt. The part has a split in the design which comes apart. We had the part replaced and the second is doing the same as the first. The split grabs the seatbelt which keeps it from holding a person in tightly or doesn't retract completely. Has this happened to anyone else?

Very much agree on the crumby paint!!!!!
  • Options
    no. not looking to find answers to common questions (faqs), but rather looking to find a web-site that will house customer's vehicle data, not necessarily just maintenance, but all sorts of info. VID #s and any other thing you would like to store on-line. also... not necessarily run by Toyota, but it would be preferred :) I don't think Toyota does this. Does anybody know if they are planning on hosting something like this?
  • Options
    weid4weid4 Member Posts: 10
    We had the seatbelt problem too. The housing kept coming apart and restricting the belt. The new seatbelt unit has worked fine, though. Does yours come apart?
  • Options
    I have exactly same tick coming thru steering wheel. Had it in for service last wwek and dealer could not feel the problem. Have 13000 miles on van and problem started about 1 month ago. Will keep after dealer and use your message as backup. Are you having problems with engine drag when coasting in 3rd. gear? See my msg #850.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    So far I think I've found a communication problem between a convenient service center and myself but time will tell.

The a/c performed normally for their tests running 43-47 degrees at the center vents. I've got one of these nifty gauges so I'll run an extended test of my own.

The coolant smell was blamed on the undercoating (cozmolene)sp? where a small amount was on the exhaust. Since I'm unfamiliar with what cozmolene smells like and all the fluid levels are in check I'll wait this one out too.
  • Options
    judyjudy Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the new one does the same thing. I contacted Toyota (sent an email) and hopefully they will have a solution. Your new one looks the same but didn't split?
  • Options
    weid4weid4 Member Posts: 10
    Our new seatbelt has not split since installed a couple of months ago (with heavy use). I would try for another one and make sure they install it correctly the first time (they should be comfortable that it won't split again vs. just sending you away with a new part).

It's easy to see why it is a problem if not installed properly. You would think they could have come up with a better design.

Good luck.
  • Options
    lang66 I have this same issue in my 04 sienna, What did you find out????
  • Options
    we have a sienna xle ltd with the factory installed dvd it only comes with two wireless head phones and I really don't want to spend $90 on 2 more just wondering if anyone has an idea on who makes the dvd player and if i can get the head phones cheaper then what toyota wants?? thanks guys
  • Options
    Don't know if it was Cosmoline, but odd smells from protective coatings on the undercarriage (especially the tailpipe) are pretty common. Like you say, give it a while longer to finish burning off, plus coolant has a unique smell itself that a service writer should be able to recognize.

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.