Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Let's see who can finish this and do the best job of conveying the true meaning of Jeep ownership. Let's don't write a book: just a couple sentences or so.

A Jeep is like....

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    that best childhood friend with whom you shared your everyday adventures while school was out for the summer.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Maybe a few years down the road if we move, but for the time being, I need to keep the peace at the house. My wonderful wife was the one that suggested getting a Jeep and has continued to be supportive of everything we've done to it. Hmmmm, I did have the chain saw out last weekend, think she'd buy that I "slipped" going back into the garage?

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    being on vacation forever.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    A wonderful dream that comes true everyday you get to go for a ride ;)

(Even though I don't have one yet)

Congrats Bama! And Happy Birthday JB!

Mines in 11 days....the BIG 39! Aw heck...it's just a number and besides....when I get my Jeep I'll never feel a day over 25 ;)

Hug your Jeeps for me....til I get mine ;)

dwrangler
    I drove by the dealer that has the black Sahara and it's still there...the price quoted on the website is 20,xxx

I went by the dealer that has a new Wrangler X (Patriot Blue w/camel interior), auto, steering group, convenience group, axle ratio 3.73, deep tinted windows, cruise, am/fm CD, full size spare, dark tan hardtop...sticker 22,550...."sale" price...20,550.... My question is do you think the dealer would go any lower? An employee that I met at a local restaurant told me that he could get the friends/family discount...do you think that the f&f disc. would take the price lower than 20,550? If it's still there in a month or so...I may go ahead and go for the blue one even though I'd rather have a sienna Jeep if they can't find one with the same features and they can't give me what I want at the f&f disc. then as long as I have a Jeep I'll be happy...even if I have to deal on the Sahara (used)...

Please excuse the rambling on but it helps keep the dream alive :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
    Per Edmunds, the X you described comes up as follows:

MSRP: $21725
    invoice: $20240
    TMV: $20579

Doesn't sound like a bad deal @ $20,550, but you can probably do a bit better especially if this one isn't exactly what you want. If you plan to finance for a while, make sure you don't settle to save a few hundred dollars.

You didn't mention if the Jeep has A/C, but that might be a deal breaker for you.

Have you been able to follow up w/ the person you met about f&f? I'd check into that before worrying too much about pricing on a specific vehicle. I would expect that the f&f discount would beat any advertised price the dealer had posted.

-twylie
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Part of the Family
    A Jeep is like....

a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. (Forest Gump) :)

Well, that really is kind of true, isn't it? You THINK you know how much fun a Jeep is going to be, but then when you get one, it turns out to be more fun than you could have possibly imagined.

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I doubt the OME lift goes over 2.5 inches from their descriptions. Mind if I ask where you got it and how much? I am looking for a mild lift for the 31 inch tires to have a little more room.

You could always put the top down to go through the door and put it up again once out in bad weather.
    I've traded email with a handful of people that have done the OME lift and everyone has stated they got at least 2.5". Tonkadave got 3" out of his and it didn't settle. I will let you know (via email) who I order it from and price, but everyone is right around $625 and I'd prefer to give the business to someone like James as opposed to Qtec.

-twylie
    On my 98 the distance between the top of the soundbar padding and the "peak" on the soft top is 2.625 inches. Hope this will help
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Dating your spouse before marriage. You kept spending money to get to the point in your life that you would be totally happy.

Also, the most fun you can have fully clothed.

I am still a happy camper.
    I appreciate you taking the time to measure it for me. Looks like I'll be OK and have enough room to clear without any real issues.
    Thanks again.
    -twylie
    ... a Swiss Army Knife. You can get them in lots of different kinds and sizes, but they are all very useful and fun to own in thier own way. New ones are great, but classic and vintage ones are even cooler.

... a license to make yourself a little bit cooler. I don't know anyone that doesn't think they are just a little bit more hip when driving their Jeep. You either look cooler or have the aire of someone that beats to a different drummer.

... giving a big black eye to conformity. On paper, a Jeep is almost laughable given it's fuel efficiency, noise, lack of storage, and primitiveness. The fact that we can appreciate, use, and enjoy them for what they are makes me feel better about not driving a Civic (no offense to Civic owners!).

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that rolled out of my head first.

-twylie
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    A cool sensation like skiiing..wait thats york pepermeint patty..
    A jeep is like ejoying freedom as an American should feel
    Michelle & I thank you for all the anniversary wishes. She says your can send the anniversary presents to the followinf address.... :) This is gotta be the greatest message board on the 'net.
    Still going topless & doorless today! Whatta a great feeling!!
    I should have bought a JEEP along time ago!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEEP BOY.. mine is next month.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!!
  • cgrabercgraber Member Posts: 4
    I currently have an 87 Cherokee 2WD w/ 155,000 miles. Company is relocating me from California to Hawaii for about 2 years. I'm worried about the work that may need to be done on my current vehicle (and the dollars spent out there) once I move.

My current solution is to buy a base Wrangler for under $16,000 (ship from CA to HI). I don't want to spend a lot of money. Many friends are suggesting that I get the X for the inline 6, but I really don't want all the extra features. When I return, I can always sell Wrangler I to get bigger Wrangler II...

Am I really gonna regret not getting the 6 cyl.? Can anyone advise on this situation?
    I've never been to Hawaii, but from pictures I have seen, there are mountains everywhere, and that little 4 banger ain't gonna climb steep grades real well.

Also, think about resale value. You will recover a good portion of that extra expense when you sell the Jeep. It may even help you sell the Jeep quicker. I never heard of anyone looking to buy a used Jeep who was specifically looking for the four cylinder, but I have known of several people looking for a used Jeep who would only consider one with the six.

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tom

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    A general observation from several years of being on this board: no one who gets the 6 ever wishes they had gotten the 4, but plenty of people who get the 4 wish they had gotten the 6. I don't think I was the first to state this, but I fully concur. I've had both, and believe me, it's a world of difference.

The only other reason you might consider the 4, besides the initial cost, is that it does use a bit less gas especially around town. Not much--maybe 2 or 3 mpg--but consider that gas prices are very high in Hawaii (even higher than in California) and it might be another reason to consider the 4.
    I have read that the 4-banger really doesn't get much better gas mileage than the I6 because it has to work harder. BUT, it would be a big factor with my drive. I most likely will be doing some commuting (no more then 1/2 hour each way) to the construction site. I don't think I mentioned the fact that it will be getting dirty WHILE at work!

I figure I won't be doing any heavy 4-wheeling, considering I will be by myself (without experience) and will be touring more than crawling.

Another thing is: the idea of having a stripped wrangler (no back seat, no carpet, no radio or roll-up windows, etc.) REALLY appeals to me (not to mention the cheaper monthly payments). Its the closest I can get to an old military Jeep for now.

Thanks for all your input, its much appreciated. If only the SE would come with the six!
    Yes, both the used Sahara (black) and the Patriot Blue X have air (thank God!); St. Louis is infamous for our hot sticky weather during the summer...but wait five minutes and it'll change ;)

No, I haven't talked to the guy yet...everytime I plan to the weather has been nasty with lightening and the like and I don't want to get caught in that driving or on the phone talking to him. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and call before another thunderstorm rolls in. I'll let ya know.

Deb
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Cgraber, I can't be any more empahatic...get the 6 cylinder if at all possible! I bought a 4 cylinder a few months ago and I had a hard time going up some mild hills in Delaware! It became a chore just driving around town. The engine has to work double time and even at that, it doesn't keep up with hills or traffic. I then sold it and bought a 6 cylinder, wow, what a difference. The thing is, I read all the posts on this board and many others where people said "buy the 6!" and I ignored them rationalizing that I don't need speed and I wanted better gas mileage. That and the lower price convinced me. Believe it or not I'm getting better gas mileage, probably because I had to work the 4 (high rpm's) to keep up. Also, It's not really about speed so much as power. The 6 is no speed demon but the power seems effortless. My advice is to test drive both extensively. See if you can live with the 4. If so it's still a he** of a vehicle! You can't drive anything that is more fun. But please, seriously consider the 6!,
    Kahuna
  • fivespeedfivespeed Member Posts: 42
    It is the first jeep, and the driver is less than 22. The first time owner should experience the 4 cylinder. It's almost tradition.

On another note, dang this drought! The dirt roads just choke you bad when they's no rain for 2 weeks.. instead of being out having fun, it's more attractive to sit in front of this boob tube and be a "humpbacked geek".

five'er
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Be glad it is just draught-caused dust that is choking you. Saturday I was on a mountain top watching one of my favorite 'wheeling/hiking areas about 30 miles away burn up in the Wolf fire (SoCal), and that is nothing compared to the fires going on in Colorado. All you folks in Colorado - you have my prayers.

What really bothered me was the idiot I saw on Sunday who was illegally camping with an illegal campfire under a pinon pine and wasn't anywhere around when I drove past. All this less than 6 miles from my house! After seeing that, I got a little spooked, so the dog got a much shorter hike than usual. The idea of being a couple of miles from my Wrangler on a ridge if that idiot's fire had gotten out of hand was a little too hot for my comfort level.

So everyone who is out there 'wheeling this summer - be careful! Not only pay attention to what you are doing, but what the idiots around you are doing!
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    First of all let me say that I have the 6 cyl. and love it. I would have nothing else.
    Something to consider is which island you are going to be on. If you are going to be on Oahu, I would get the 6. However on the other islands, the roads are 2 lane and generally choked with tourists. The brake pedal is used as much as the gas...
    You may be able to get a stripped down model, put a bikini top on it to ward off the rain squalls, enjoy the beach for two years and sell it it for close to what you paid and get one better equiped when you get back to the mainland.
    This is just another twist on it. I agree with the other posts here though, when you get to the mainland get the six.

Dewars
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Hey all,
    I am getting ready to lift my TJ. I am considering the tera flex 3" or the Rubicon 3.5"
    Anybody out there have experience with these?

Thanks,

Dewars
    I think a couple of the posters from long ago (Spyro and dragonfly) installed the Tera 3" on thier Jeeps. I remember they both loved the lifts and had 33" MTRs installed at the same time. One lift went on a 5 speed Sport and the other on an auto SE. I think sfjeeps helped them with the purchase and any install ?'s they had. I don't remember anyone on the board installing the RE 3.5". You might do a search of "meet the members and see if you can email them about the Tera lifts and the experiences they've had over the last year with them.

-twylie
    I am working on my buddy across the hall at the office, trying to get him to get a Jeep.

I have given him the info on how to get to this message board, so I want you guys to say "hi" to Mike and tell him how much you are enjoying your Jeeps, OK?

Thanks

Tom

• quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    After getting low-balled on the Jeep dealership's trade-in offer on my '01 Tribute (if you recall, they offered only book loan value, not book trade-in value), I took it to Carmax this evening. Their offer? $150 more than I was seeking. Now I have to see if my girlfriend's dad wants to buy the Trib or if I sell it to Carmax. Also I will see how close the Jeep dealership can come to the Wrangler I want. Then will come the application for financing, and finally the purchase of the Wrangler.

I checked how changing from the Tribute to the Wrangler will affect my insurance costs. My annual premium will decrease about $350.

I'm getting there.

Larry

PS: Mike, welcome to the board. Buy a Wrangler.
    PPS: Thanks again, Trey, for the great info you've provided.
    PPPS: And, since I'm on a roll, cgraber, if you settle for the 4 cyl, I sure hope it will be adequate for you.
    Way to go, man! Things are moving right along. Thanks for the update, and please keep posting as you progress toward that Jeep!

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Mike! What are you currently driving? If you have not had the chance yet, you must drive Tom's Jeep. I've owned many vehicles in my life but only one has made me post about it and go to chat rooms to talk about it! That is of course my Jeep. It's an obsession for most of us. If you have any questions just ask away, we are are friendly group.
    quikkag, Looks good, I hope it happens for you soon!
    Trey, I saw your pics yesterday, very nice. I really like the tan/white combination.
    First off...Welcome Mike! And most important of all: MIKE YOU GOTTA BUY A JEEP!!! I don't have mine yet (I'm saving for one myself after selling my Firechicken aka Firebird). I'm hoping by the time I get enough for a downpayment they'll have what I want on the lot or can get it for me...I know Robster...just get the darn thing ;)...I'm workin on it big guy :)

quikkag

I don't know if you have an Autotrader or Trucktrader magazine in your area, but try putting an ad in it. For $29 you can get a photo ad and it stays in the magazine til you sell (you have to call to renew the ad but it doesn't cost any extra). I've sold four vehicles there and haven't had to go down off my asking price (usually private sale price) by more than $500. Asking $500 to $700 higher than that to get as close to target asking price as possible. It has taken me up to a month to a month and a half. Your time could be less. Good luck with the sale.

Cgraber,

I had a 4 cylinder car....NEVER AGAIN...go for the 6 for SURE! If it's a first vehicle then get a used one, it's a better value for the money invested. I'm wrestling with such a decision myself but I've still got time to decide before I sign on the dotted line.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
    I really appreciate your advice regarding Trucktrader. We do have it down here, but I intend to complete all transactions within a week and a half.

On another note, I grew up in Missouri, and was living in St. Louis before moving to Houston--that was 12 years ago.

Larry
    Hey scm...haven't seen ya posting in a while...where ya been? My question is this...you made the comment that the service dept from that dealer stunk, (pc translation of your true comment)...Did you purchase your Jeep at that dealership or somewhere else? There's a black Sahara there that I've kinda had my eye on but haven't seriously dealt on it because I need more cash for a good downpayment whatever I buy. If I did buy that one I'd make sure that the extended warranty covered the dealership in Creve Coeur...I've been told that they are more reputable in the area. Anyway, just thinkin out loud again :)

quikkag,

What area did you live in and how long were you here?

Oh my I've stayed up too late again...it's 12:30am...oh well time to hit the sack.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I read the posts at least once a day. I respond if I feel I have something to add of worth. Guess I've been pretty worthless recently. *LOL*

I actually bought my Jeep at Glendale on Manchester Rd. The salesman was nice, but I didn't get an especially great deal. (I hadn't found this place yet) They recently had a 1 cent over invoice sale on all their inventory, but not sure if they still have that going on. You might have heard the radio commercials.

I'll still sell you mine if you want it. ;-)

Steve
    I grew up about 2 hours southwest of St. Louis--a small town called Viburnum. Went to college at UMR and Southeast Missouri State. While in St. Louis, I lived in the Central West End, St. John, and Marlborough (it's a small district next to Crestwood that not many people are even aware of). I actually lived in St. Louis only about 2 years ('88-'90), but I've been around it all my life. My family still lives in your area.

Larry
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    Hey Mike, Welcome.

I recently bought an old 90 YJ 4 banger. Last week I was driving with my brother in law and he was amazed that Jeep owners wave to each other. He wants to see if he can get that started with Ford Windstar owners. What do you think?

Also, only recently I hear a lot of cylinder rattling until my Jeep gets warm. It stops after about a minute or so. Anyone else experience that?

Jayorion
    I found this on another board...

Better deal yet.. know anyone who works for Chrysler? I heard from a buddy there that they've exteneded their Friends program thru the year. You can order a Chrysler product at employee pricing. Roughly 2-4% below invoice. And any other promotional discounts are still good.

As with everything elso on the internet, YMMV, but if it's close to true, I'd order a new one with this program (as opposed to buying the used one). Maybe the 7/100 will still be in effect when you go to buy.

-twylie
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    fivespeed
    "Yep, get the six...unless... It is the first jeep, and the driver is less than 22. The first time owner should experience the 4 cylinder. It's almost tradition."

LOL. I like that. You will really appreciate the 6 after owning a 4. I would rather walk or ride a bike than drive a 4 cyc Jeep. I have no desire to add any kind of performance mods to my 6.
    A 4 cyc Jeep will be fine off-road and around the city. Freeways it won't be too bad. But on highways with wind and hills, it is all over. I like to drive a good 75 though. If you don't ever want any passing power and drive slower, than a 4 may work for you.

Cgaber
    If money isn't a problem, get the six. You can rip the backseat and carpet out and sell'em or just keep it until you sell the Jeep and put them back in then. I would consider buying your Jeep in Hawaii vs. shipping it. I would check to see what the difference in sale price is though.
    quikkag
    I sold my last Jeep to carmax. You could get a better deal selling on your own, but carmax seems to give a good deal.
    I am in Houston by the way. Which dealer are you looking to buy from? I hate the sales dept. and service at Archer. My current Jeep I bought from River Oaks and have any service done there. Overall they are good. I am in the middle of something right now so my opinion may change some.
    I have half doors and prefer them. The full doors will make a signifcant difference in wind noise though. The top half of half doors does not seal well and can make a lot of wind noise. I don't mind it all for the advantages of half doors. The zipper windows are kindof a pain at ATMs, fast food, and toll roads. Sometimes I just open the door and reach out or I just pop the door open, unzip the window and fold it down and then close the door.
    For heat, I think running no doors or bottom halfs with the bikini top is the best. Keeps the sun off you, but you get plenty of wind. The heat can get bad in slow moving traffic and at lights.
    anonymous02
    I run no doors without mirrors. I am looking to get sun performance mirror relocators, but I thought I saw some that have the mirror relocator and windshield light mount. I would like to get those.

Hey Tomster
    I am kindof still around. :)
    Take your buddy from work on a trail run. That should help convince him.
    I did look at Archer at first, but I'm dealing with River Oaks. Thanks for all the good info. I really appreciate it.

I have definitely decided I'll go with half doors.
    I see a pattern here. It sounds like the majority rules in favor of the 6 cylinder. I will have to drive the two and compare some more. I have some time before the relocations, so I will check out the difference thoroughly. My XJ has the I6 4.0L, so I know its power and durability.

fivespeed: I am 24, close enough to 22? Its not my first vehicle. I'm not concerned with a lot of power or "woo haa!" The islands are rather kick-back. I would save that for when I return to busy So. CA.

texasjeep: Shipping the vehicle to Hawaii is paid for by my company, so really, its taxes/selection/price that I have to consider when buying in Hawaii. From what I have seen, the prices are slightly higher (demand) and selection is minimal. Many dealers here in Southern California say that Hawaiians visit the mainland and can get a better deal - even with shipping costs (approx. $900). Plus the state has something like a 11.4% tax!!

quikkag: Good luck with the Trib and getting the Jeep you want.

To be continued...
    On the Wrangler Sports, unless I'm mistaken, there is a sort of cladding on most, if not all, of the roll bar (roll cage?), and it is black. Is it possible to replace this with cladding in dark tan?

Also, are the black fender flares reliably paintable (to match the body color) or easily replaceable with flares that will match the body color?

These issues had me considering the alternate possiblity of a green Sahara, but the saleman I'm dealing with told me definitely that one cannot get a Sahara with half doors.

Trey, this is not at all a slight. Your Wrangler looks terrific, and I have every intention of making several of the same modifications that you have. If possible, though, I'd like to bring the color scheme as closely as possible to exclusively white and tan.

Larry
    Believe me, no offense taken. That's what so great about Jeeps. Individuality and uniqueness is easy to come by with a few bucks and some minor changes.

The easiest, but most expensive route would be to have the dealer order and install the roll bar padding and flares from a Sahara. Other options would be to buy the tan roll bar padding (Bestop sells it through Q'tec, etc.) and then have a body shop paint your flares. I've seen people that have even painted the mirrors the same color as the body. Definitely a clean look. If you found a white Sahara that was perfect except for the doors, you might see if the dealer could help you swap the doors onto another Wrangler. They would get a "more expensive" option on thier vehicle and you'd get the doors you want. I like the Sahara, but wasn't wild about the green seats with the color combo we selected.

have fun, it sounds like you're getting close!

-twylie
  • fivespeedfivespeed Member Posts: 42
    texasjeep, you are rite-on. This summer has been hot and dry. A good time to have top up during the 12:00am - 7:00pm time frame. Thank goodness for Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov, and some of Dec!

Ride On....5'er
    My first TJ was a 4 and it also had a rattle so I took it to the service dept.I personally know and trust the service manger, he said that the "rattling" was common in a 4 banger.I put 72k with no problems and the young man that I sold it to has added an other 20k or so and it is still running OK.

Have a good day Walt
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    are you sure you can't get the sahara with the half doors? Both the edmunds and Jeep websites list 1/2 doors as a no-cost option, though the full doors are standard. Salesmen are not noted for their reliability on these things. Make him call Chrysler and check.
    Larry have your salesman check again, I was told that you could get half doors on a sahara with a soft top.

Walt