Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Engine problems

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Go back to the seller. Who dumped it on you in that sort of condition? Sheesh.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Yes. The seller is a long story, too. Nowhere to be found now. Phone number disconnected, etc.
    That stinks.

But I don't think that transfers the responsbility over to Subaru, clearly this vehicle was neglected.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sounds like a car from New Orleans.....

-mike
    Yes, this vehicle was obviously neglected.

I am not blaming Subaru. I have always wanted to own a Subaru for some time now. I just need an expert to tell me what the stuff was that Subaru corporate had dealers add to the cooling system. There was a service bulletin issued from Subaru for Foresters in 2000, 2001, and 2002 about this head gasket issue. The "fix" was to have dealers add something to the coolant. If it was a "stop leak" type of compound, that would be sad.

This will help me determine whether I should try that route again to save big bucks, or drop $1200 on a rebuild ($1200 I will have to take out a personal loan to acquire).
    Prepare to be sad, because I think it was basically Stop Leak.

Did you see the MythBusters episode where cracked pepper successfully sealed a leaky radiator? :D
    Yes, I saw that Myth Busters episode. That's a cool show.

I figured it was a stop leak type of substance. So, I assume Subaru saved big bucks on having to rebuild mass quantities of engines by using a temporary fix that would obviously not permanently resolve the issue. That is not good to hear - always had respect for Subaru for a company that would do the right thing - this jades my perception a bit.

Oh well. On to the next issue:

Any suggestions on whether I should (1) have the head gasket replaced or (2) get a used engine from a 2003 Forester? My fear about the head gasket replacement (the cheaper option) is that they could find some cracks in the engine block and/or head once they get the engine disassembled. If that happens, I will be out the cost for the labot to take the engine apart and still have to pay for a used engine.

Any experiences about Foresters having cracked block problems because of overheating issues? Aluminum blocks to have a tendency to develop small cracks more than cast iron.

Opinions?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    If it has an overheat issue due to the gasket leaks, which it sounds like it does, then warping or cracks are a definite possibility. If I knew the history of the car, I would say go for the gasket replacement, but it sounds like this car may have suffered several rounds, and possibly prolonged, of overheating. The safest bet may be a different engine. Either way is still just a bet, though!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    An 03 or later engine should resolve the problem.

Coincidentally, the JD Power results are out for vehicle dependability and Subaru showed a significant improvement for MY2004, probably because the new Forester had better wheel bearings and the head gasket issue was resolved by then.
    I would swap it with an engine of the same year. I've done direct swaps that one would think would be direct bolt-ins varing by 1 or 2 years and the connections are completely different sometimes.

-mike
  • gediehl4gediehl4 Member Posts: 5
    Took our 2002 in for a complete tune-up at 103,000 miles. Replaced belts, spark plugs, oil & filter, flushed the radiator, changed transmission oil and gear oil, air and fuel filters replaced, replaced spark plug wires, replaced water pump and now engine is rough. After two days, engine check light came on and did not have enough power to continue to drive. Had dealer tow and they are not able to diagnose the problem.

Any ideas?
    Well, first off, it is the dealer's problem to fix! But, sounds to me like the timing is off. Maybe multiple problems, like a loose plug wire, to complicate the matter.

I would request them give me a loaner (no cost to me) until they get it straightened out. That will give them incentive to do it quickly and do it right. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Sorry to hear that. You bring in a perfectly good engine and it comes out worse than before.

I'm sure they accepted your money, though!

Call 800-SUBARU3 and express your displeasure. Be polite, but I agree with the suggestion above that you ask for a loaner.
    Since you didn't mention them doing the timing belt on it, I would say it's a bad set of wires or plugs or something along those lines causing the issue.

-mike
    Thanks for the previous ideas/suggestions/comments.

The timing belt, fan belt-the complete service for 105,000 miles was completed for $860. Today they replaced the new plugs and wires and a new coil-nothing has changed. No codes showing at this time. They are stumped. It is now able to be driven, but continues to run roughly.

Galen
    hmm, then the next step would be to check all the intake piping. Chances are they took it off to do the plugs and wires and didn't replace it properly and you have a vacum leak.

-mike
    I'm surprised it's not throwing codes... :confuse:
    If everything is working (sensors, etc), it will not throw a code. I am still leaning toward the timing being off. I was off by a couple teeth the first time I changed the belt on my '96. It ran quite rough, but threw no codes. I did not drive it that way, though. I knew something was amiss and disassembled the whole darn thing again, realigned it, then reassembled. It ran perfectly afterward, but it sure is a pain to redo all that work for a moment of carelessness.
    The Sub dealer returned our 2002 Friday. They offered no explanation for our problem except that maybe we had a bad tank of gas. Added a second can of Sea Foam and the motor was smooth and worked great for two days, then stumbled/hesitated and threw a code (checked at Advanced Auto and neighbors code reader), which indicates a misfire on cylinder 2, cylinder 3 and cylinder 4.

So, we are still trying to diagnose the problem.

Galen
    Yesterday I contacted 1800Subaru3 and they dispatched a field manager representative today. They pulled the manifolds off and found an internal head gasket leak where the coolant is leaking into the cylinders and causing the plugs to misfire. So they say-and that is what was reported
    back to 1800Subaru by the field manager.

Note we did have some roughness before any work began and could have been
    the start of the internal gasket leaks?????????

Both the dealer and 1800Sub indicate the car needs the head gaskets repaired
    and of course on our nickel.

I did call the local Honda dealer-owned by the same company- and talked to the manager about trading our Forester, as is, on a new Civic or Accord and he is ready to deal. He drove over to the Subaru dealer and looked at our
    Forester. He also recommended that we not open up the motor to repair the head gasket because his experience is that there will be extensive damage and much more than the initial quoted $800 repair. He wants us to visit the
    Honda dealership, chose a car and then work a deal.

I have a .50 caliber Desert Eagle and I am tempted to go euthanize the damn
    thing!

Galen
    Mmmm.... head gaskets. $800 sounds pretty cheap, especially if that is for both gaskets. You might try to wrangle with Subaru a bit on this one, since it is a well known and well documented issue with these engines. Typical cost for both gaskets tends to run more toward $1800-2200, so I have to wonder if that is a reduced cost already.

Anyway, if you have had no overheating issues, there might not be more of a problem with it.

Of course a dealer is going to encourage you to go with a new car, so anything other than an affirmation of your inclination to replace with new from the dealer would be a surprise to me. If you are ready to dump it though, your peace of mind is worth a heck of a lot more than a new round of car payments. ;)
    I would have my lawyer write a letter and threaten to sue. The car was fine when you brought it in... Subaru isn't responsible, but the dealer is however.

-mike
    What did the dealer do to make the gaskets fail, though?

02s are borderline. Some early ones were still affected, later models were OK.

I agree that they probably already reduced the cost substantially, though.
  • dtos01dtos01 Member Posts: 22
    I have 44k miles on my FXT and I notice a distinct CLICK when the auto transmission upshifts in the lower gears...

Its like vroooooom...autoshift(CRICK) vroooooom...

Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks!
  • sanjay4sanjay4 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2004 subaru forrester; when
    I stop the engine, it keeps making some clutter
    sounds - does this indicate any engine issues?
    To some extent it's normal and characteristic of a large boxer 4.

If it shakes more than other models (you can check at a dealer, perhaps), then have the engine mounts inspected.
    Do you mean the engine keeps running after you turn it off? If so then yeah there is something wrong with it.

-mike
    No Mike - the engine stops running - but continues to make
    some sounds (like tinerking of some metals pieces) -
    the sounds stop after a couple of minutes..
    Thanks - that was helpful.. I shall have the engine mounts inspected.
    Not your motor mounts. It's most likely your exhaust cooling down or a heat shield cooling down.

-mike
    We caved in and traded the Forester for a new 2007 Honda Accord EX-L.

Our Forester was an early 2002-but Subaru and dealer both said it was not one of the identified problem motors.

I told the Subaru Service Manager that I will never ever own another Subaru. Subaru clearly knows there is a design flaw, that is why they put the chemical additive in the coolant at 48,000 miles-which plugged the leak areas until it was out of warranty and then told he was a high mileage car. Pure BS!

Thanks to everyone who offered assitance with comments and suggestions! We really appreciate your help.

Galen Diehl
    Yep, sounds like typical metal contraction noise - little "ticking" noises emanating from the car's engine bay area for a few minutes after shutting the car off. You should hear it when the ambient temperature is -50F! :P
    True that. I often walk by parked cars that are popping.

Slow down. ;)

Nah, just drive easy the last mile or so of each trip to let the engine cool down a tad before you get out.

My Toyota is even stranger - you hear a pump go off after you leave the car for a while, "whiirrrr". It's emissions related.
  • devarshidevarshi Member Posts: 7
    i have a 2001 subaru with 116 000 mi. its an automatic and when it accelerates, the car jumps with a click sound...its quite audible but the jump is felt but not uncomfortable...i bought it from a dealer in fairfax VA...i got an oil (10W-40, Synth) and a filter change. its a great ride and very reliable but this clicking and jumping that comes when accelerating is something i am clueless about. actually a lot of things related to my subaru are simply unkown to me...
    does anyone know as to what could be the problem or what should i get my subaru diagnosed for?

thanks
    It does not sound normal, so you might want to ask your mechanic to inspect it at your next oil change, or at the 120,000 mile service, which is the next major one.
  • kona4kona4 Member Posts: 1
    just about to buy a 99 forester. have done all due diligence i can imagine including carfax; calling subaru to track that all SB's have been fulfilled... now just got to get over the fears driven by the immense amount of stuff i'm reading about head gaskets on this car. the current owner has done the coolant conditioner... but how long does that last? anybody know if that is a permanent fix? Subaru said that they cover head gaskets in the normal warrantee up to 60k miles but after the coolant conditioner fix is done, they will cover this year until 100k miles... anyone with any experience "post" conditioner? with this year car? it currently only has 64k miles and I'm hoping for years more... thanks, kona4
    I had a 98 and it was perfect, even without the conditioner.

We needed more space, so we got a minivan, but we plan to trade our Legacy on an 09 Forester when those come out.

You're covered for, what, another 36k miles? That's as long as some new car warranties.
  • cabriggscabriggs Member Posts: 32
    I don't know that this is actually an engine problem but I figured I'd start here.

My wife has an '03 Forester XS. It's got just over 40k miles on it and the only thing it's needed so far besides regular service was a new oxygen sensor a few months ago.

Today I noticed some spots in the driveway where she parks, small pools of an off-whiteish liquid. There are a few of them and they're maybe 2" across. In a left/right sense, they appear to be coming from the middle of the car. In a front/back sense, I can't tell because she doesn't always park in exactly the same spot.

When she gets home, I'll check the fluid levels. What are the likely possibilities here, and with each one, what's the urgency? (I'm not trying to blow it off, I just like to know whether it's a case of "must get to mechanic immediately and drive no further" or "it's ok to wait a few days until the dealer can take you.")

Thanks for any info.

-cb
    White liquid? Personally I'd stick a sheet of cardboard to see exactly where it's coming from.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Maybe you're leaking WhiteOut! Seriously though, other than wheel bearing grease, I don't know of another lubricant that's white.

-Frank
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Oil and coolant whipped up together can be whitish.
    What is the texture like? Oily? Watery?

I wonder if it's just water from the condenstation of the A/C system. Not sure where it picked up the whitish color, though.
  • mmurph531mmurph531 Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing multitude problems with my 04 forester, 70,000 miles...need struts, had hesitation at start, skipping, cel on..and have in the last months replaced spark plugs, fuel injectors, ignition coil, and now they say I have to replace the head gasket. Is this normal??? Is anyone else having these problems??
    Head gaskets were common up until 2002, but not for 2004 models. That's strange.
  • comendatorecomendatore Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about head gaskets being "common." I sold my 2001 S Forester to CARMAX last week. I never had a head gasket go in 130,000 mis. I just bought an '08 xt Limited and am thrilled so far. Just bad luck I guess in your case.

Comendatore
    Among the complaints, head gasket was listed about as often as any other issue, is what I meant.

Consumer Reports still recommends every single model year Forester, since it arrived here. So reliability is still good.

#1 complaint was probably wheel bearings, actually. I'd say head gaskets were #2.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Although resources like Edmunds are invaluable in helping owners and potential buyers ask questions and get answers, they do tend to distort the number and magnitude of problems. I've seen where someone said they were considering getting a Forester but that after reading about all the problems, they were having second thoughts.

What they failed to realize is that there are a number of factors that contributed to giving them the false impression that the Forester isn’t reliable.

Take this topic for instance, it's almost 2 years old and has 140 posts while other Forester topics have had hundreds and even thousands of posts during the same time span. And of those 140 posts, you can figure that well more than half are responding to someone asking a question, so the actual number of head gasket complaints is pretty small.

And then as Comendatore pointed out, it’s only natural that just the owners who have problems are going to post in a head gasket topic, there's no representation for all the owners who haven't had any problems. So say 20 owners had head gasket issues, there’s no doubt hundreds of others who haven’t had a problem.

Also, the Subaru forum is one of the most active ones on Edmunds with plenty of owners ready to offer advice or opinions which ups the number of posts in the problem topics. This leads to more total posts which can give the impression that there are more problems than there actually are.

For comparison purposes, The Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee forum has a total of 12,500 posts while the Subaru Forester has 28,200! Now obviously the Cherokee and GC are way more popular vehicles which also happen to have far worse reliability so clearly all forums aren’t equally active. In fact a while back, I tried to get input to a transmission problem with a Grand Cherokee. Not too surprisingly, I didn't get a single response to my question.

All this isn’t to say I’m trying to diminish the problem with the head gaskets. We all want to drive the perfect vehicle and get understandably upset when a supposedly reliable one like the Forester has a problem. But at the same time, it helps to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

-Frank
  • subeelovesubeelove Member Posts: 1
    My new 08 Subaru Forester LT Limited is making weird engine noise.
    When I go up hill, I hear loud knocking sounds from the engine (and yes it is getting louder)
    I went to the dealer 3 times (3 different dealers). When I take them for test drive, they all say 'oh! I hear it and it is weird' but later thay all say it is normal. And the cause of the knocking noise could be bad california gas (I always put premium :mad: ).
    I feel like since they cannot fix the problem, they are saying it is normal.
    Does anyone have same problem as me?
    I feel like since they cannot fix the problem, they are saying it is normal.

That is typical.

How long has the car done this? There are a few things you can do to try and mitigate the problem, though. If you are hearing the sound just when going up hill (i.e., the engine is under load), then it could involve the fuel system, timing, injectors. It might even involve the transmission; if it is not downshifting properly then it might cause the engine to "bog down." Try adding a bottle of Heet to the fuel to make sure there is no water in the tank. Put a good fuel system cleaner in there as well, just to make sure there is nothing partially clogged. Granted, it is an '08 (i.e., basically new), but who knows at this point. At least you can reduce the possibility that the fuel is the culprit. Even premium can be "bad" if it is contaminated!

It is not normal and should be addressed.
  • phil2000phil2000 Member Posts: 195
    I had the same problem. Two weeks ago the pulley went and cause the timing belt to jump. Repair ran $775.00 on my 2000 Forester. But the engine misses now and the dealer (who I am not happy with) said I have valve damage but did not say which ones. I wonder did he put the belt on correctly. The engine had 254,000 on it. :(:(