Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Engine problems

Comments

• w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    Pre 02 engines had a head gasket issue, Subaru fixed it....Check the reliability ratings by those who rate cars and Subaru is amongst the highest. All makes of 4 cylinder engines can have head gasket problems, I had four Chrysler products with head gasket failure and they never stood behind any of them. Are you basing this on a gasket problem that you experienced with a survey count of one? What year was involved? Mileage?

Jim
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I'm damned glad I had second thoughts about Subaru and got another Honda.

Yeah we're all ecstatic that you got a Honda :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Because we all know Hondas are perfect...

:D
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    Hahha; that's harsh. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Perhaps, but so is trolling Subaru threads as a Honda fanboy.
  • summer_dreamersummer_dreamer Member Posts: 1
    Can any mechanic-types tell me what are the most significant maintenance issues (mechanical failures or control/ignition problems, etc.) with the post-2002 2.5 L boxer engine? (non-turbo)

I'm talking about things that could be expected (and possibly prevented) with proper care and attention....
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Change the fluids on schedule (including auto transmission if equipped).
    Change brake fluid at 30K (absorbs moisture which can affect master cylinder and calipers).
    Change the coolant when scheduled at 30K and add Subaru's treatment (both to avoid possible head gasket leaks).
    Change the timing belt at or before schedule of 105K (to avoid break which would ruin engine). Changing the belt makes several other items on the front of the engine accessible and they should be replaced at this time.
  • mpkcmpkc Member Posts: 2
    I am a first time poster. My car only has 40K on it. A week ago the AT Oil Temp light started flashing when I started the car. This has never happened before. I drove to several stores and when I started the car after each stop the light did not flash. I did not use the car for about 8 days & now the car will not start. The electrical system does not work - there is no keyless entry, etc, I work from home and often do not drive it for 1-2 weeks. I replaced the original battery mid 2007 when it died. I know the battery is dead but what could have caused it and what is my best course of action. Thanks in advance.
  • stdonatusstdonatus Member Posts: 2
    I brought my 2002 Forester with 76,000 miles to local dealership in N.W. suburban Chicago because my check engine light came 2 days ago. I was told the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced for $425 - that's not great, but OK. Then the service advisor asked me "Don't you notice that the engine is running loudly?" I haven't noticed it running loudly, but the service advisor told me the pistons need to be replaced for $2,900, and he mentioned something about a boxer engine. This was all way over my head. Hopefully the extended warranty I bought for the car in Sept. 2003 will cover this repair, but I won't know that until Monday when the warranty administrator office reopens. I've never had to replace pistons before. Is $2,900 a reasonable charge for piston replacement, or am I being taken for a ride? I am not knowledgeable about cars, so any help is appreciated.
    A few engines had what they called piston slap, but it was far from being a common occurence.

Hopefully the warranty addresses it, if not call 800-SUBARU3.
  • wishner7wishner7 Member Posts: 2
    radiator does not recover coolent from overflow tank
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Most likely cause is failure of the radiator cap on main radiator. Check it carefully for seal, ensuring it has been screwed down correctly and that any rubber seals are sound.

They are fairly cheap to replace.

Next most likely is a crack in the boundary between radiator core and header tank. These can be hard to find for non expert. I had one years ago that opened up when engine running at high revs but was undetectable under normal conditions. Only realized what was going on when I backed off from full throttle and caught a windscreen of fine spray!.

Cheers

Graham
  • wishner7wishner7 Member Posts: 2
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Pic reminds me of the second Subaru WRX I test drove - it was smoking from under the hood after fewer than five miles of driving - too few for the transmission to lose a synchro or otherwise self-destruct. The first was experiencing electrical problems and stranded me and the salesman a couple miles from the dealer until they could get a tow truck there to tow us back. Some folks just have low standards, explaining country music, American Idol, most chain restaurants and Subaru.
    That could be just some mechanic spilled oil on the exhaust manifold. Can't conclude much until you look under the hood...

WRX was a reliable car, many sources can confirm that.

Your test drive failures are the 1st and 2nd I've ever heard for a WRX.

Hmm...did you drink the Kool-aid at your Honda dealer lately? ;)
  • vimanviman Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Over the last 3 weeks, my Subaru Forester 2006 w/45K miles has had these lights upon start up come on, blink a little and go off. Then come back on a few days later upon startup, same process. check engines blinks, sometimes with cruise, once with battery - goes off for a few days.

The car just past inspection Sat. The inspection mechanic says if the CE light ws on, it would have failed inspection. Since it was not on, it could be misfires and not to bother checking, just live with it.

I thought it could be a built-in 'mtn reminder', dealer says no. Wants $60 (discount, normally $120) to find out the code (yes, NY)?

Advice please !

Thanks
    Get a code reader! Use it twice, at the rate your dealer wants to charge you, and it paid for itself...

Are you noticing any obvious signs of trouble? Is the engine running rough? Stuttering?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I'll echo what Wes already mentioned - they are worth every penny.

I paid $99 and they're cheaper now, plus I've used it on 4 different cars, including to help friends.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Hi Ateixeira,

Where did you pick up your code reader?

Thx
    At a NAPA auto store. I got an Actron unit, pretty basic, for $99 at the time. It was on sale.

I've seen even cheaper ones but some of them can only read codes and not reset them, so make sure you get one that can do both.

With a code it's much easier to troubleshoot the problem, could be anything from a gas cap that's not air tight to a bad catalytic converter.
  • phil2000phil2000 Member Posts: 195
    In New Jersey Advanced Auto will let you borrow their scanner (after giving them your license). Auto Zone sends someone out to your car. They say the state does not want you to erase the codes (and CEL) then run to the inspection station before it comes on again. Which I am tempted to do with the P0301 & P0420.
  • jikjik Member Posts: 144
    I am planning to sell this car. Just got the oxygen sensor replaced -- dealer charged me 800 for that work.

Quick acceleration borught the engine light on -- it has been doing that for number of years . Everytime its some issue with oxy sensrs. Tired of spendng at dealer.

Now the engine light is on. asked him to look at it and he told me the diagnostic will cost 70 more. I was hoping it was follow up to the earlier work he did.

Anyway, I want to get rid of the engine light. Any ideas. I got the code read at carx but the code did not vanish (it did last time the code was read). Is there a way to read the code so that it will vanish.
    yaa the code is P0420
    Look that up to be sure but I think that's a misfire.

The O2 sensor is merely reporting a symptom, I don't think it's the problem, per se.

My guess is it would be a misfire caused by a bad spark - I'm thinking spark plugs, plug wires, or even the ignition coil.

Those are all cheap, the coil is about $80 but my 98 Forester only had one. Plus it's easy to change.

If unburned fuel makes it downstream, the O2 sensor will (correctly) report a presence of oxygen in the exhaust stream.
    P0420 is "cat converter below threshold." If replacing oxygen sensors did not resolve the problem, then it likely does need a new cat (at some point). The cheapest way do deal with this problem is to get your own code reader (one or two trips to your dealer will more than pay for it!) and scan (to verify the code) / clear as necessary.

Catalytic converters are a normal wear item, so keep any car long enough and you can expect to replace one.
    Reset the light and trade it in.

He did say it only came on with hard acceleration. Just baby it until it's traded in to the dealer or CarMax or something. ;)
    I suppose. I have problems with that from an ethical standpoint, but hey, this is America; we like to screw our neighbors here.
    Well, I was half-kidding.

A dealer or a place like CarMax is supposed to do some reconditioning before reselling the car. They brag about their 120-point inspections and such.

Note I didn't suggest selling it privately.
    ateixera

which model did you get? I saw the amazon site and none of them mention any feature like clearing the code.

I just need a basic model which will also clear the code.
    Actron, I think CP9145. Looks like this:

I will sell my forester soon. I would like to use its securtiy in new CRV.

Will it cost lot to get it installed on new car?
    to carmax for $ 4000

thanks to you all for insight on selling prices
  • erikwierikwi Member Posts: 71
    Hi all! You may remember me posting something last December about a head gasket leak on my 2006 Forester at 34k miles. I had it to the dealer a few months and 10k miles later where they spotted both gaskets seeping oil and coolant. This was fixed under warranty and so far I haven't had any more issues. Mom came up for a visit for Thanksgiving and I checked out her car to see if there was any seepage. I found the passenger side cylinder head had traces of oil on the bottom, just like mine had. Her car is an 06 with 30720 miles on it, nearly the same miles as when the dealer found the seepage on my car. I took some pictures but don't know how to include one in this message. I'd like to show you folks one of them. How do I insert a picture?
    "... I found the passenger side cylinder head had traces of oil on the bottom... I took some pictures but don't know how to include one in this message. I'd like to show you folks one of them. How do I insert a picture?"

You have to put the picture on the Internet first, then put a link to it here. Just upload the picture to one of the many photo sites, like Picassa, PhotoBucket, Flickr, SmugMug, etc.
    OK, I'll give this a try. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45149263@N06/
    Oh, not good. That's two-for-two. Extended warranties, anyone? :surprise:
    Talked to Patricia at SOA this evening and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't convince her I needed an extended warranty on the head gaskets. Interestingly, I discovered the dealer only did the left side gasket. I was told they did both because it was needed. I'll have to take that up with the dealer tomorrow.

Xwesx, can you see the highlighted spots on the pics? I sent them to the servicing dealer for my mom's car this evening so the tech will know exactly where to look.
    Seems like you caught it early.
    Yes, the leaks were clearly visible in the two photos you linked here. As with AJ's comment, it looks like you caught them early.

Hopefully, with this history, if your cars continue to have problems you will receive remediation, even if the standard 5/60 warranty period has expired (within reason!).
    She's taking it in Thursday to the selling and servicing dealer for them to look at. They don't even have to put it on the lift to find it, just reach down and touch the corner of the head on the firewall side and they'll get oil on their finger.

By the way, this particular dealer (not mentioning names) did the 30k a while back. They used a trans flushing machine on it and ran 16 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF through it. I called Valvoline and was told Maxlife exceeds Subaru Type J specs. What do you folks think?
    That fluid does meet J specs (listed as Nissan type J - Subaru's 4-speed transmissions are manufactured by JATCo). I am not sure of quality, etc., on it aside from that, though.
    Sounds good to me! What about using a flushing machine? My closest servicing dealer said SOA advises against using a flusher but my mom's servicing dealer says they've never been told not to use this machine on a Subaru AT. Thoughts?
    Well, everyone has their own opinion on them.

I would think that any time you are putting in a different transmission fluid, you should flush out the old fluid in order to have substantially, if not completely, new fluid in the unit. Were you using the same fluid, a flush would not be "necessary" unless the used fluid was burnt. I put 220,000 miles on my '96 Outback and never flushed the transmission, though I did change out the vast majority of it at about 144,000 miles when I pulled the engine the first time due to draining the torque converter (accidentally). I never had any problems with that transmission at all - it was absolutely perfect. I drained/filled twice while I owned it, but no flushes.

My own thought is that, depending on how the "flush" is done, damage is possible but not likely. If the flush is performed with the vehicle running and in gear, using the flow of the fluid through the system to pump out old fluid and replenish with new, it is not going to be damaged. As for how these machines do it, I do not know....
    I'm not against flushing with a machine. One of my employees had it done on his delivery car when the tranny started hanging in gear and it solved his shifting problems completely. The machines pump new fluid in reverse flow and collect the old fluid and dirt. It has risks, especially on high mileage gearboxes or if the operator sets the pressure too high. I was curious to know since the dealer I use now told me it wasn't recommended. Personally, I'm going to stick with whatever Subaru recommends. This is my first auto box so I'm just not sure how to maintain it aside from doing a drain/fill every 30k. I am going to have the spin on filter replaced during the 60k though. I don't see how that filter can be "lifetime" because I've seen the metallic sludge created by an auto box. Never hurts to be a little obsessive compulsive....... :)
    That's true, and sounds like a good bet.

I agree with you on the flushing..... do it when it is necessary.
    Mom has an appointment Thursday afternoon at 3pm EST for them to check her car. I talked to the service manager at this dealer and sent him the pictures, the same ones I linked to here. His exact words were "Judging by pictures, the warranty isn't going to cover that. That's just a smudge! You have to have actual fluid loss before we can fix that." I'll post again when I have their decision.

Funny, the dealer I now go to is the one that spotted mine in the first place and mine looked nearly identical to her car. I have a feeling they're going to balk at covering but I will reserve judgement until I hear from them.

Any of you folks with an 06 check yours? By the way, the date of manufacture on my car is December 2005.
    Mom called a little while ago with the results from the dealer. The passenger side HG leak has been confirmed by the dealer and photos taken by the service manager for the factory rep. They're going to push to have BOTH head gaskets replaced under warranty in case the other side springs a leak. The dealer is having to order the parts because they don't stock them normally and will be doing the work next week. Maybe now that another 2006 has been found with a HG leak SOA will sit up and notice and dig for a cause. Don't have a date of manufacture on her car but will post when I get the info.
    There's always more than meets the eye. Glad to hear they're taking care of her.
    You and me both! :)
    "... Maybe now that another 2006 has been found with a HG leak SOA will sit up and notice and dig for a cause..."

Subaru has always known the cause to be the open deck engine block. They are changing to a semi-closed deck for the diesel, which requires a different more expensive casting process:
    "The BOXER DIESEL adopts a semi-closed cylinder block deck to improve the rigidity around the head gaskets..."
    http://www.boxerdiesel.com/engineering/en/index.html