Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    steelhead4steelhead4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy a Wrangler because they just look like so much fun to drive. Everyone I seem to talk to though tells me its a waste of money do to the reliablity. My question is to everyone that is willing to answer is how much maintenance do your Jeeps really need?
  • Options
    huckhillhuckhill Member Posts: 20
    stefanella,

I too have little ones to taxi around. My main concern is the side impact protection, or lack or it. I just weighed the risks and the amount of time that they will spend in the Jeep and found it acceptable. At least with the higher ride height, a side collision will more likely meet with the frame rather than with the side windows (unlike my current econo-box). In either case, it will be far safer than my CJ.

You may also want to consider the effect of the wind. It was not until my kids were about 5 that they could stand the buffeting and blowing. If you do not plan to take the top off, you may want to consider the Liberty as an alternative.

Good luck.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Lots of new people and new jeeps. I'm no expert on used Wranglers, I bought mine new. I do know that there are lots of variables when pricing cars - mileage being the one that always hits me whenever I think of trading one of my cars in. My '98 is now worth more than I owe on it. I wish I could say the same for the '00 Tacoma (which is worth less than the Wrangler!). Also, there are often aftermarket modifications that may have been done to take into account.

As far as maintenance - my completely stock '98 has only had one non-routine maintenance problem (well 2, but I haven't bothered getting the second one fixed yet). It needed a new exhaust manifold - a common problem through '99 (I understand they redesigned the manifold for the 2000 model year). The second one is an intermittent dash gauge problem that has a TSB out on it. One of these days I'll get it taken care of, but at the moment it isn't a big deal, because it seems to happen mostly when it is cold outside. I definitely need new brake pads and rotors and an air conditioning service, but at 102,000 miles, that is to be expected, and part of routine maintenance.
  • Options
    tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    twylie,
    I also thought the Inca gold was only available in the Rubicon but the dealer said that it is available also in the Sport. He said it is not available in the Sahara. I sure hope he is right because I like the Inca gold. He said he will call me tomorrow with my VON. I imagine when he submits the order it will be rejected if he is not right about the Inca gold. That would be very disappointing. I like different colors. When I ordered my current truck, a 99 Dakota, I ordered the yellow. I still love it but my wife still hasn't stopped complaining about my color choice. So this time I let her win on one item, the transmission. I got the automatic so I would not have to hear it again for 4 years.

quikkag,
    At this point I do not plan any off-roading. We will see. I told myself that if I was getting a Wrangler I definitely wanted a lifted one. I think that really looks sharp. This will be my daily driver. It has already been ordered for 6 hours. I think this will be a long wait!
  • Options
    mtngal,
    Thats pretty impressive. 102,00 miles and not much maintenance. Never had any problem with the axle seals or suspension?
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Mtngal's Jeep is my "canary in the coalmine," as she has the same year and model that I have, but I only have 42K miles vs her 102K. I figure that any problems she encounters, I will probably hit eventually.

So here's the repair tally for my 4.25 years of owning my 1998 Sport:

Summer 2000: Toe-in out of alignment(my own fault, received off-road): $60

Summer 2000: The intermittent gauges that Mtngal suffers from now: fixed under warranty

December 2001: New rear differential seal needed because the guys at the quick-lube goofed up the fluid change: $60

May 2002: new coil needed because Jeep kept stalling: ~$200

In addition, I've probably spent around $1000 in maintainence via oil changes (every 3K miles) and other fluids (coolant/transmission/differentials/transfer case) every 20K miles, and of course the maintainence job (new spark plugs & wires/distributor cap/fuel & air filters/tune-up) that I had done when they replaced the coil last month.

SO that's two owners' experiences with the same make & model year. The only thing that has really gotten me angry at my Jeep was the coil last month, because it did leave me stranded. I'm dreading the day the exhaust manifold starts making noises but so far I've dodged that bullet.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    WAY TO GO! Congratulations, and good luck in surviving the wait. (Just hang out with us here and in Gill's and talk Jeep. Maybe that will help.)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    I have been in this group for about two years now. During that time I have seen VERY FEW posts concerning problems people have had with their Jeeps, and the few that I have seen are usually just for minor things.

My Jeep has 18,000 miles on her now, and I have had a couple small problems that were taken care of under warranty. I am very happy with the reliability of my Jeep, but she just has 18 K miles, so I will just have to see how she does as the miles accumulate over the years.

I had a water leak that turned out to be a poor seal on the heater box where it goes through the firewall. This was fixed in one visit to the dealer.

I also had a problem with the turn signals not working, and this was taken care of with a new stalk under warranty.

Take a look at a bunch of the old posts in here, and you will see that no one is complaining about their Jeeps. Almost without exception, we are all thrilled with our Jeeps and very glad that we have them.

Tom

• Options
    I haven't had any problems with the suspension or axle leaks. I do have a front diffy seal with a very slight leak, but not yet bad enough to do anything about right now.

I have done the usual maintenance (diffys, transfer case, oil changes, plugs, air filter etc.) which does add up over time.
  • Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for the birthday wishes...tom got the info cause we've chatted on Gill's for a long time at least a year or more. I wasn't surprised about Jack Buck because since he first was reported to be having problems I had a sense that he probably wouldn't make it out of the hospital. Kyle was definitely a shocker, but the comforting thought is that he most likely didn't suffer. I hope that the weather stays nice for the memorial service. I didn't get to go for Jack's service, it looked really moving when I replayed the tape...guess I'll have to tape Kyle's service as well. I hope the team can recover...this year was looking promising.

tluke,

Need more details. If you don't mind I am going nuts trying to save money for someday to be Jeep :) , just want to see what will be offered and what I can afford. If I don't have enough money by the end of August or September I'll go for a used but I really am working towards new. If you can, post all details i.e. options cost etc. on Gill's site. I'd give ya my email address but I'm debating about switching my ISP, but I wanna be sure that it is the right decision.

Hug your Jeeps for me til I get my own ;)

dwrangler
  • Options
    jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I have a 98 with 110k It's my daily driver, the only thing that I have replace other than regular maintenance (Brakes, oil changes) was the radiator.
    The TJ are just reliable as any other vehicle that is on the road. They are not like the old CJ's with oil leaks etc. By the way before the CJ owners start yelling I also have two CJ's 7
  • Options
    scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I was shocked also. Kile was our second best pitcher and has left a giant hole. There is no way they can fill that hole now. I think they can still win the division, but its doubtful for the postseason. The Reds are nose-diving, so they aren't looking like a real contender.

Hopefully the Cards rise from the ashes and kick some rear!

Steve
  • Options
    quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    With 426 total miles on the vehicle, my first check on gas mileage was 13.442 (approx., of course) gallons to go 226.6 miles which comes to 16.86 mpg. All the miles have been around town--not highway. I have been pretty religious about keeping the rpms at or below 2k and the amount of time I've had the Wrangler above 60mph isn't worth mentioning. For the most part I've kept it close to 55. Also, I've been careful not to lock in on any one speed for too long. I'm thinking I'll try to maintain the 60mph ceiling target and speed variance for maybe up to 1200 miles.

Larry
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate all the feedback. My family has just come to terms that Toyota and Honda are rock solid and everything else is a problem. Your comments will give some good arguments. Since I'm new to this whole Wrangler thing, when do the 2003 come out? And would it be worth waiting for?
  • Options
    dre10dre10 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a new car and I a jeep was among my choices. I was also considering a Station wagon, but Jeeps are so cool.

I'm from in Chicago,IL but plan on relocating to San Diego, CA. I wanted to buy a used 2000 in July and I had a few questions.

What are the major differences between the SE and the Sport?

Is the Sport worth the extra cost and poorer gas mileage? What have people been paying for 2000 Jeeps?

Do you have problems with your 2000 Jeep?

How's the drive from Chicago to California in a Jeep?
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    So far our only "repair" on the Jeep was to replace a bad starter. It would occasionally not start, but never left us completely stranded. Eventually, it would turn over and we'd get home. It took a few service trips to get them to finally fix it since it wasn't a repeatable problem. The last time it didn't start at the house, I went through the diagnostic procedures in the service manual and traced it to the starter (not the clutch interlock as I first thought). My dealer was cool to go ahead and replace the starter even though I did the diagnosis. Other than that, it's just routine maintenance for us over the last 15 months.

For the '03s, the biggest news is probably the 4 speed auto tranny and the option of rear disc brakes on the Sport. Of course the Rubicon gets lots of heavy duty off-road equipment. Other items I've seen mentioned are the use of the I4 from the Libby in place of the current 2.4l 4 cyl. Interior changes include slightly different seats with more travel and higher seatbacks. The soundbar has apparently been split into 2 corner "pods" that house the speakers and map lights. costcoauto.com has some of the option lists out for the '03 but they don't give any pricing on their site.
    -twylie
  • Options
    jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    The biggest difference between the SE and the Sport is that you move up to the I6 engine in the Sport. I have a 2000 Sport, and it has been great - rock solid, and a ton of fun to drive. If you are going offroading, the 4 cyl will do, but if you are doing ANY highway driving, go for the 6 cyl. I consistently get around 20 mpg, even with the 6. From what I understand, the gas mileage between the two engines is basically nil. I test drove several SEs, and was unimpressed with the 4 cyl on the road. For me, going to the Sport was well worth it.
    As far as long trips in a Jeep, I haven't gone for a trip longer than 3 hours at a time. However, I was comfortable for that whole time...a lot more comfortable than in the Pontiac Sunfire I had previous to the Jeep. Hope this helps!

Jeephead
  • Options
    Last year we took our Wrangler Sport, with it's 20 mpg on the highway from just north of LA to northern B.C. and back for a 2 week trip (mileage somewhere over 3,000 miles total). Our other choice was a Y2K Taco (translation: 2000 Tacoma) that gets 28-30 mpg on the highway. Reason? The seats in the Wrangler are that much more comfortable, and the ride isn't all that much worse than the Tacoma.

As far as maintenance goes - the Tacoma had a new radiator put in (under the extended warrantee)when it was only 18 months old and a strange tranny problem that appeared at about a year and disappeared after a week and hasn't returned. So they aren't perfect either...
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've had my 1999 Sahara since May and it's been essentially trouble free. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a musty smell in the interior. Further investigation revealed that the right floorboards were completely water soaked. I checked the JeepsUnlimited Wrangler forum which led me to suspect that the culprit was the design of the A/C evaporator drain tube - a fix which was addressed by a TSB which called for fitting the drain tube with a rubber elbow. I am fortunate to have a couple of local shops which let me use their Alldata systems to check TSBs and such so I easily obtained the part number and ordered it from my local dealer. The TSB calls for securing the elbow with a cable tie but being half German and overly anal about my vehicles I used a stainless hose clamp to ensure that the tube stays put. Prior to the installation I had driven the Jeep for @1.5 hours in dry conditions with the A/C going full blast and I found that in that short time a significant amount of water had accumulated in the right floorboard. We'll see if the elbow fixes the problem. On an unrelated note, I fitted the Sahara with WeatherTech rubber floor mats. The front ones fit and look great. The rear ones are of the cut-to-fit type and are a little big even after they're trimmed. That said, I really like them. I was going to get Jeep mats but no Louisville dealers stock them- how ridiculous.
  • Options
    markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Twylie- Thanks for your advice a while back on the bikini top. I finally ordered it yesterday, so I should have it for the weekend. My question is this- I don't have a footman loop on my 02 Wrangler. Is this something I can pick up locally at the hardware store? I'd hate to have to pay shipping for something that can't cost more than a couple of bucks.

Is this normal to not be included with the Jeep? I also don't have the straps to roll up the rear window (not that I would very often) - just wondering if I got jipped... Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I would have thought you should have a footman loop inside the top of the windshield. The owners manual shows that to be how the windshield is held in place while folded down. If you don't have one, you should be able to get one at the dealer for not much $. I'd ask them to provide and install it for free unless the '02 have a different method of securing the windshield. It appears to be pop riveted into the windshield frame. Sounds like it may have been missed during assembly on yours. If it was, don't feel bad; I counted a few things on ours that shouldn't have slipped by Quality Control. I chalk it up to "it's a Jeep, not a Lexus".

As for the straps to hold the rear window, I don't use mine since I remove the window. One option might be to unzip the sides of the rear window and see if you can secure it to the soundbar/sport bar. Maybe velcro or some snaps to hold it up under the rear of the soft top. I will say that the factory provided straps to hold down the windshield and the ones to keep the rear seat pulled forward are OK, but not that great. I bought a roll of double sided velcro and use it for securing anything that needs to be lashed down or held in place. It was cheap at Home Depot and I just cut a strip to length anytime I need to tie soemthing down. I think I've got about 4 or 5 lengths in the Jeep right now.

Check to see if the other '02 Wrangers are like this the next time you go to the dealership; maybe you can get them to take care of you if yours is "unique".
    -twylie
  • Options
    Check out the X. It gives you most of what is best about the Sport but is still a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks- I think I'll have to pay the dealer a visit tomorrow morning. As for the Window straps- I remove mine also, but was just being curious if that was something else they forgot...Good ideas with the velcro, though.
  • Options
    tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    dwrangler, When I went to my dealer to order my '03 I asked for a copy of all the equipment that was available. He gave me a copy and also a copy of all the standard stuff for the Wrangler model line. This was for the '03's. Really not much changed if you don't consider the Rubicon. Some of the changes are that you can now order 4 wheel disc brakes as opposed to disc front and drum rear. I thought that was a good idea and ordered them on mine. I also ordered the new self dimming rear view mirror with compass and temperature. They do not have any prices yet so you kind of order blind. We have an agreement on price relative to invoice. I just don't know how much the new brakes will cost because they have never been offered before. The other new items are mostly interior refinements that have been previously discussed and are standard. I understand there are some new colors. On my copy it list the '03 colors as black clear coat, brilliant silver metallic clear coat, flame red clear coat, inca gold clear coat, intense blue clear coat, light khaki metallic clear coat, patriot blue clear coat, shale green metallic clear coat, sienna pearl clear coat and stone white clear coat. The one I ordered is a new one. I saw the Inca gold on a PT Cruiser. They did offer it on that car for '02. I think it is really sharp and will look good with all the black to accent it. Along with you I am looking forward to seeing the new prices so I know about where I will stand on cost. I already have a buyer for my '99 Dakota so I will just do the courtesy trade thing to save on the sales tax difference. To this point everything seems to be going my way. Hope it stays that way. I should have my VON tomorrow. Wasn't able to get it today because my salesman was off today. Hope this info helps you. Tom
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Helloo jeepers..sorry i havent posted in a while, Been busy here, big holiday coming up & vaction after that WOOHOO.
    Also been working on a NEW web site
    www.geocities.com/bamatazz2001/index.html
    check it out. its not perfect, but its a start.
    Please post your personal web sites too.. we should link them together

HAPPY bday deb!!

congrats to all who got new jeeps or ordered theirs.. The family is growing!!

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    If you don't plan on going offroad, you might be happier in maybe a Sebring convertible. They ride nicer on road, are quieter, and have an electric top. They also probably get 10 mpg better gas mileage.

FWIW, I see a bright red, older Wrangler every weekend going up and down my street with a bald dad in front, and a bald baby in back, both smiling!
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

I noticed the gearshift knob on my 5-speed has slowly rotated clockwise, so now the I-5 diagram is sideways. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone try stylish replacement gearshift knobs like the ones in the Quadratec catalog? Since I have a Solar Yellow Jeep, I was considering one that's black and yellow. It's kinda pricey though - around $65!

yellowman
  • Options
    cklausingcklausing Member Posts: 16
    While we're on the topic, is there any special trick to getting the original knob off? I'd been thinking about replacing it with something a little more stylish, but that stock knob is on there TIGHT! I tried torquing it loose with my hands, but it wasn't budging. I considered trying something more forceful, but was hesitant about damaging something....
  • Options
    Here you go: Turn the knob back counterclockwise.

I'll only charge you $49. Please send it ASAP!

(If you unscrew it completely, and mail it to me, I'll gladly paint it yellow for you for another $15, bringing it just under your quoted price of $65.

;-)
  • Options
    the knob is held on with a large nut (17mm if memory serves). You have to pry the cap (plastic piece with the shift pattern on it) off first. I used a small knife to get under the edge and pry it off. Unless the nut has worked loose, you can just reorient the cap and secure it back down. If you want to swap the whole knob out, you'll have to remove the nut and then the shift knob can be removed from the shift lever. I went through this a couple of months ago when removing the console. If you need to remove the shift boot, there is a plastic frame that sits under the boot and allows the boot to "snap" into the console. It has plastic tabs on the sides and top/bottom. Be careful when prying it loose. I snapped mine on the side and had to get another from the stealer for $8. HTH
    -twylie
  • Options
    Good gas mileage, especially for an engine that isn't broken in.

Thelma Jane used to get real good mileage like that too, but I took care of that by putting all that armor on her and switching her to mud tires. Also, I'm driving up to 70 MPH now, whereas I used to keep her 60 to 65 going to work and coming home. It really makes a difference if you keep the speed down just a little. That wind resistance is a killer with the poor aerodynamics of a Jeep.

Not complaining, though, cause the fun of wheelin' is worth giving up a couple miles to the gallon on gas. No excuse for the higher highway speeds, though. Ought to try slowing down again and see how much of my poorer gas mileage is related to the speed vs the armor and the mud tires.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today? :)
  • Options
    I KNOW that higher speeds kills your gas mileage! Mine has always done that - so tsjay, if you slow down a bit you will gain at the pumps - maybe not as much as you used to get, but some. When gas was around 1.80 a gallon I used to think "3 cents a mile, 3 cents a mile" whenever I drove to Vegas going 65 and got buffetted by the winds of those Excursions and Suburbans wizzing past at 85 and 90! Since gas is getting up there again (it was $1.67 in West LA yesterday, and $1.51 in Lebec this morning) I'm starting to think in those terms again.
  • Options
    quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    I'm growing more convinced that twylie has torn his Wrangler completely down and put it all back together, taking meticulous notes the entire time, just for the exercise and to share all the really helpful info with us. :-)
  • Options
    Going to try to post a picture here again:

• Options
    cgrabercgraber Member Posts: 4
    Hello all! I went with the four-banger for Hawaii. I saved money and speed/power is not my concern. However, it may be a few months (December at the latest) before I ship it over. I got the SE base. NO OPTIONS (back seat, air, radio...)! However, I already have a Tuffy stereo security console on order for my first mod (well, I did get the husky liners for the front). It's the Shale green with dark tan top. I will probably leave the serious mods for when I come back to So. CA.

I got it a little earlier than I expected because I realized that it was going to be really tough to get out of my Audi (A4) lease after one year. Audi wouldn't take it, and I had trouble selling it privately because the new models are out this year. I knew I wanted a TJ, so I went to the dealer and they took it as a trade-in (bill of sale, release of liability).

The next step is to say goodbye to my XJ. I have had the 87 Cherokee for 5 years and my dad bought it new in 86 - a good 16 years now ;). I am discussing final sale price now with the buyer. If anyone is interested in looking at some photos from Death Valley with my XJ:

http://www.csupomona.edu/~ctgraber/xj/offroad.htm

The site is VERY outdated, but still open. I can't wait to take the TJ out there and experience the Valley all over again (and with 4WD this time!).

I was told by the dealer in Irvine that in 2006 all jeeps will have Mercedes engines! I haven't read all the posts here, but has anyone else heard about this?!

Chris

Which Jeep should I drive today?

• Options
    You can wear shorts to work?

By the way, nice Jeep.
  • Options
    When summer rolls around it gets pretty informal around here. This is San Diego, after all.
  • Options
    Now I am bummed. I had planned on getting an '03 X in yellow with ambire fire as a back-up color. So, how does the Sienna look in real-life? I like the red, but every other TJ seems to be in red. Khaki seems like a weak substitute. Maybe I will look for an '02 in yellow instead of ordering.
  • Options
    I ordered a Bestop safari top for Thelma Jane today. Got it and the windshield header (the no drill type) needed for attaching the top for $92.85 including shipping.

It was supposed to ship today, so I hope to have it by early next week.

Now the sun won't be as rough on me and Ross Allen when we drive around in Thelma Jane topless (except for the satari top, of course) and doorless.

I'll try to get some pics in the photo gallery when I get the new top put on.

Tom

• Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    That safari top will make a differance.
    I have the bikini top. Our bald heads will not get blisted this way. I rains here about everyday in the afternoons. I need a good few topless days. We have our acation coming up maybe I will have some sunny days that week.
    Im getting close to 10,000 miles what maintence should I do? Im gonna get the tires roatated I know. Im not for a oil change till 12,000.
    Congrats to everyone who has ordered of got a new JEEP!

Keep Jeepin!
    BAMA!
  • Options
    appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    huck,
    My wife and I went by our local Jeep Dealer here in NC, and saw a Sahara in Sienna.

My wife was prepared to not like it (For the same reasons as you...), but changed her mind when she saw it in the flesh.

The Sienna is a very dark burgundy. Definitely not red. A really attractive vehicle.

In fact, if Pam ever decides to trade in her '98 for one, she already has a name for it

(Pay attention, Tsjay!)

SCARLET SAHARA!!

Heck, it's almost worth buying just to be able to use the name!

Good luck!

Cam
  • Options
    LOVE that name! And I do think the sienna color is excellent. If the Inca gold turns out to be the color that Rubicon at the LA Auto Show was painted, it would be my first choice, I think.

I'll probably be looking at trading my current Wrangler in around the time they come out with the redesign (2006 or so - gotta get another 3 years out of my noble black steed), which should be very interesting!
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Staying busy with work so it has been a while since I posted.

Spoke on the phone to the middle son of a friend of mine last night. The kid is up in Baltimore and had just bought a black 2002 Sport yesterday. He said that he had always wanted one since the times he had played with me in my old CJ5. I think he was 6 years old back then and he is now 28. It took 22 years, but he finally swung our way. I guess it is true, kids and dogs love Jeeps.

Mtngal, checked gas prices here in central Texas. Exxon is 126.9, Chevron is 127.9, and a no name station is 131.9. Those are the regular unleaded prices, didn't bother to look at the higher octane prices.

Huckhill, how would I describe the sienna color since that is the color of my sport. For starters it is not red. Where to go from there I don't know. I think if you thought of burgundy and added a whole bunch of brown you would be close. I think it is more of a brown with some red added to it. Depending on the light the color does seem to change. The amber fire was my first choice, but they had discontinued that color so I went with the sienna. I like it.

Congrats to all the new owners and I think you will enjoy your Wranglers.

For all the potential new owners go for it, I think you will enjoy your choice.

Tsjay, you are going to be my test rat again with the new top. Been thinking about going that way, but was not sure about the no drill header. Keep us posted.

Appstate88, tell the wife that is a great name.

Still a happy camper.
  • Options
    I just knew that someone would brag about how much cheaper their gas is! The prices I quoted were regular unleaded - the west side price was at a Chevron, the price on the hill at both Flying J and Arco.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback on the Sienna. After your posts and seeing goducks1 good looking Jeep, which I assume is the slate green, I am no longer so blue. Still, they used the yellow so much in their advertising, it's odd that they dropped it. Must have had low sales.
  • Options
    coons10coons10 Member Posts: 3
    I brought home a brand spanking new 2002 Jeep Wrangler X Sienna Pearlcoat for about $1,300 less than Edmunds TMV price. (There are rebates involved here too. I'm not quite THAT good a negotiator) But after 4 visits to the dealer and four different salesman, I think we finally got it right.

My wife and I took it for a spin last night here in Columbus, Ohio and had a blast!

Thanks to ewylie for giving me some sage advice concerning my purchase. (I emailed you a couple of weeks ago.) I'm happy to become a member of the wrangler family. (I just gotta start getting used to looking for other wranglers to wave to.)
  • Options
    jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I was in Roanoke Virginia last week regular was 1.07, home in south central Virginia it's 1.14 and at work in Greenbelt Maryland it's 1. 47. When you leave the country and go to the big cities gas is high even on the east coast
    Have a good day Walt
  • Options
    coons10coons10 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering a bikini top. Any suggestions whether a no drill header is just as good and drill header? What are the main differences?

Thanks All!

Jim
  • Options
    Actually, my Jeep is "Moss Green" (figures, since I bought it in Oregon). I think they stopped that color in 1999 (mine is a 1998). I actually wanted a blue Jeep but for some reasons 1998 was the one year you couldn't get blue, so I went for the better looking green--they had an "Emerald Green" too in 1998 but it didn't match the spice tops very well. I'd get a Sienna Sahara if I were buying one right now.

Mtngal--gas is even cheaper in San Diego than L.A. right now, which is not normally the case. Somebody's always getting ripped off somewhere by those stupid evil gas companies.
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Huckhill, one more comment on the sienna color. My other half describes it as a cranberry that has gone bad. I still like it. For what it is worth I have some pictures of mine at home.earthlink.net/~oceantoad/

Coons10, way to go. Hope you enjoy your X. I have a sienna Sport and am very happy with the color. All I know about the no drill header is that you have to take it off to put your soft top back up. With the one that you drill, you can leave the header on and put on your soft top. The other thing I know about the no drill is I am a coward when it comes to drilling holes in my Sport.

Still a happy camper.