Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    Re: Engine Knock on start up.....
    Ok, I don't have a LS engine. Same problem though..if it is a problem. I saw that "2003cts" was having some problems a few weeks ago with this issue (I even replied something about the Lemon Law) but haven't seen any follow ups on it. So the question remains, anyone else having this "issue".
    As for the temp gauge thing...sure, I'd rather have had one, and for that matter, I'd have expected a full instrument cluster (electrical, temp, oil pressure). But then, if it's all in the on board computer, I guess that's the price of progress.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I learned on morning before an exam in university that one can never have too many clocks.

;-)
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Been awhile since I had a chance to post. Just wanted to say welcome to the newbies. Keep us posted on your experiences. No news from me just many more miles of happy cruising.

TO CJS2002- Comparisons are always tough and filled with personal psychology so just remember this... the 2003 CTS is the equivalent of the first year of Thunderbird or Corvette or any ground breaking model change from an established marque. You can see it in the design of the CTS-V and XLR. You can see it in what's it's doing for Cadillac and GM. So you can buy a piece of history... or some other car to drive a while and then trade in like any other car.

"Men are tormented with the opinions they have of things, not by the things themselves."
    - Epictetus
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    I think many of the regulars here (myself included) need to form some sort of Two Clock, No Temp Gauge support group. :-)

I "solved" the out-of-sync problem with an "out of sight, out of mind" approach and (somewhat) remedied the one item that I miss by not having the luxury package --a compass:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/ctsdash1.jpg
    The device sitting in front of the analog clock is a PNI compass (model V550, there are other models). It uses the same circuitry that powers the built-in compasses on GMs, Chryslers, etc. From the driver's seat, it completely blocks the analog clock and other than the "0" on the tach, it doesn't obscure any of the gauges or idiot lights. Here's a side view showing how it's mounted (suction cups attached to instrument cluster glass):
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/ctsdash2.jpg
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    I like the idea of the Two Clock, No Temp Gauge (TC, NTG) Support Group. The problem is that most of us would never make it to the meetings on time if we used the CTS clocks.

Seriously, all the discussions about the clocks and temp gauge may be indicators of the overall satisfaction that most of us have with the rest of the car. Not many complaints about the quality or owner dissatisfaction among us. Seems most of us range from pretty happy to absolutely elated with what we bought. GM engineers and designers deserve a good deal of credit for what they created in the CTS along with the ribbing about clocks.

I also agree that I rather liked the idea of "buying a piece of history". I had that feeling when I bought mine. There also is the advantage that years from now when the 10th generation CTS is on the market, we 2003 CTS TC, NTG owners can tell the youngsters... "There I was... drivin' my CTS across west Texas in August with no temp gauge. Of course, I did have two clocks...."

Cheers!
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I think they could have used a bit more wood in the interior design, but not much more. I've only seen pictures of the aftermarket wood applications, and for my taste, it seems a bit overdone. It may in fact look better in person.

I would maybe go for a little more wood around the gear shift panel to offset the gear shift knob, but not much more. I have the black on black, and the look is solid, a cockpit type appearance, if you will. Especially at night.

If this application is of laminated materials, then it's totally out of the question. This would never hold up in extreme heat. I'm going for dual pipes (at a designated vogue shop)on Thursday, I'll ask if they have a finished product on hand. It's worth a least a look anyway.

Further, I think the aluminum accent in the 04 model adds a touch of class, as it doesn't have that ornate appearance seen in other models. The wood accent may still be an option on the 04, but a list of available options hasn't been posted yet to my knowledge.

thebug...
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    now you have 2 compass rather than 2 clocks ?
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    wwhite2, just one compass for me. I have the base model, so no integrated compass in the mirror (if I could have chosen optional equipment a la carte style, I would have gotten the mirror compass). My quasi-solution is only good for the base model crowd.

Someone mentioned it and I'll second the thought: wood on the steering is a negative in my book. Why would I want two textures on my steering wheel while I'm trying to make precise, split-second turns? I thought about asking the dealership if they'd replace the steering wheel with the all leather one, but I very quickly ruled out getting the Lux or LuxSport package so it was moot.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Maybe GM had found some clocks in a warehouse and needed to use them up.
    If they are gone then, replace with a gauge!
    OR
    Maybe after putting in the clocks, someone had second thoughts (ha, ha), and replaced them with a gauge.
    Just wonder what is going to get all the extra unused clocks? Or back into the warehouse??
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Member Posts: 94
    I really like the idea of the "Two Clocks - No Temp Gauge Support Group" suggested by cu95 and BatmanCTS. Where do we meet? Ha!

But like BatmanCTS says, it is a tribute to the designers of this great car that we are writing about fairly minor stuff. A lot more can be written about what is GOOD about this car.

As a vintage car collector for the past 38 years (since I was a teenager), I can tell you that part of my pride in owning this car is that it truely is a milestone automobile for both Cadillac and GM, not to mention Automotive Design in general. The CTS is the first Cadillac of the new "Art & Science" design philosophy. It's also the first new Cadillac for Cadillac's second Century of production. It's bold design puts it into the category of other dramatic Cadillacs like the '49 and '59 models. Both of those designs set the pace for many years after their introduction, and are very hot amongst collectors today. I think the 2003 CTS has a chance of being a very collectible car in the forseeable future. By the way, my buddy "Dark Knight" has a twin to my CTS and he's a vintage car nut like me. We both recognize a revolutionary design when we see it. And in this day and age, we are extremely proud to drive an American automobile of such high quality and bold design. It's an American icon in the making.
    So, tell us...just how much is your monthly salary from Cadillac anyway??? LOLOLOL...just kidding.
    I agree wholeheartedly that it's a real testimonial to the car that there is a lack of "serious" complaints. It seems to be mostly cosmetic stuff. (My wife, for instance, doesn't like the window washer spouts mounted out on the hood...she thinks it detracts from the looks..so do I to a degree). I've said before I'm not nuts about the grille but it is growing on me. (Still pushing for a billet grille...we'll see.) What I really like is that while mine is still new (just turned 700 miles), some of you have had yours for upwards of a year and still no major problems to speak of.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    rob35cts, you said you used $3540 in GM Card rebates. The GM Card website states that only $1000 can be used toward the CTS. Did you get some kind of special consideration?
  • johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    I think if you have the regular and not the "New GM card" you can apply all your earned rebates. The "New GM Card" doesn't have a cap on how much you earn but a cap on how much you can apply to a particular vehicle. The regular card caps off at $500 a year. You can read more about this at http://www.gmcard.com/GMCard/apply/faq/bp_faqcontent.jsp
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    johnnycsk, thanks for the info. I have the original GM Card and from what I understand can apply the total rebate amount towards my purchase. It pays to read closely.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Member Posts: 94
    Gosh I guess I should get a check from Cadillac shouldn't I? Wouldn't that be nice? Ha! We loved our Carmine Red '91 Caddy Sedan Deville but this car is really something else. Funny how a car will capture your imagination. I guess that's what really impresses me the most. I come from a family who owned Packards in the thirties and Cadillacs from the late thirties to the present. We also have a love affair with Chevys and other GM products. So I guess it's in the blood, somehow. I do own a Ford, but don't tell anyone (it has a Chevy V8 in it so that's OK I guess. LOL).

Like you, I do have some nitpicks about the car, but by in large it's great. -Jer:>)
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    well I'd pretty much decided that I want to go with the CTS... unless my father can give me some sortta great other compromise that can convince me otherwise... I was talkin to my next door nabor and what do ya know... she too is buying a CTS rouphly in August the same time I will be so where gonna go in together and see if we can get a better deal... :) but I had a question I know the CTS comes with leather, can I get the heated seats option as a stand alone or do I have to get a package... I know I need a package to get the split folding seats... which I don't think i'm gonna waste my time on... I just wanted to know about the heated seats though.. thanx
    If you price out a CTS on the Kelley Blue Book website, it says you have to have the Luxury or Luxury Sport package to be able to add heated seats. Hope that helps.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Cadillac.com.... CTS... Build Your Own... also indicates that you must have either the Lux or Lux Sport option to add heated seats.
    And, as negligent as we are not to point this out (I shall now rectify that)...It's interesting that Edmunds.Com lets you add the heated seats without the mandatory Lux or LuxSport pkg.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Wow, didn't realize the chase scene is 14 minutes long!

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0305/14/a01-164555.htm
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Vintage car collector, eh? Wanna buy my '68 Eldorado? :)

BTW, went to an SCCA autocross school the other day, and did some driving exercises with the CTS. Friction circle, triangle, slalom and mini-course. The CTS was reasonably slow around the triangle (15.7 seconds compared to the really fast people who were doing it in 13.5-14.3), but loved the friction circle and the slalom. I could just flick the back end out all day long in the slalom and the car felt lovely. Around the circle, I could throttle steer with amazing accuracy. About the only thing problematic seems to be that, like most other cars, the CTS is set up for understeer. I may have to change the alignment to correct that.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    I never upgraded my card. I knew if I did upgrade it would cost me money. So I have the original card. I can get upto 500 per yr for 7 years. After 7 years each month they take off the last month 7years ago. So you can get a bit more than 3500 if you use it alot right after the aniversary date. And that is exactly what I did.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    I have the old gold card,I believe it can add up to more than 3500.00. I have about 4100.00 on mine now. Hope this is right. I'm driving a Lincoln LS8 at the prensent time. The lease will end in Dec of this year. I want to try out the CTS. Can any one tell me if there is much differance between the sport and the regular suspension? I sure prefer the 17 inch wheels.
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    AAAAARGH! That was the Co. Springs school, right? I was registered for it. Got up a 4 AM, and there was 4" of snow on the roads in my neighborhood. Turned on the TV, and they said 36 was closed due to accidents (at 4AM on a weekend!). I decided that (4" of snow x 120 miles each way) + (340 HP x summer tires x very stiff coil-overs) = a good reason to go back to bed. I did get to instruct at the track school the week before - *that* was interesting.

You're right about your understeer. I don't know how much you'll be able to dial out with just an alignment - heck *my* car understeers if I go in too hot.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    hey I wanted to know how ya'll did when it came to negotiating a price on your CTS... what was the sticker price and what did ya'll actually pay... I just want to know so I can be prepaired to argue with the sales men and dealers... thanx...
    After all the posts bashing the CTS interior by those comparing it to other makes and it wins an award ? Who has egg on their face now ?
  • tyler80tyler80 Member Posts: 20
    Who has egg on their face now. haha! Good One. I happen to love the interior of the CTS, although I did not vote in the people's choice poll, I would have if I had known about it.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the competitors mentioned in that did not include all makers so I am skeptical as to just how many choices people had to choose from.
    Of course you are.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    This is my first post to this board but I've been following it for the past few months since I'm trying to decide on a new car. I've looked at a number of different cars including a Lincoln LSV8 but I keep coming back to the CTS. I drove one a few months ago and I loved everything about it except I felt the power was a little weak and I really like the look of dual exhaust. I've been waiting to find out more about the new 3.6 in the '04, and any other possible improvements. The link in dindak's last post was very helpful as was post 153 by bigdaddycoats on the CTSV board. It looks like both concerns will be addressed in the '04. Also important to me are the opinions of the current owners of cars I'm considering and from what I've heard and what I've seen on this board, It's all been very positive. I appreciate all the insights! I'm a lot closer to deciding but since I have a choice, I will have to wait for the '04 if I decide on the CTS. It looks like it will only be a few months.

By the way, I'm 37 and I aslo feel that there's something special about this car. Also,I'm sure i'm in the minority on this one but I happen to like the Copper Sunburst color(probably because that's the first color I saw it in last year) but it looks like that color will be discontinued in '04. But I will get a temp guauge instead of a clock!
    I do my own "backyard" maintenance (oil changes, filters, etc.) Used to change oil/filter every 3k miles but upped that to 5k miles based on what manufacturers are recommending. I've also always done the first change on a new car at the 1,000 mile mark (I'm approaching that now.) Heard references to (but never actually tried to confirm it) that new cars come with "break in oil", which, I assume as the story goes, helps the engine to do just that...break in. So, for you mechanics out there...is there such a thing and, if so, should it be left in longer than 1,000 miles, or ???? And it seems that oil additives (Motor Up, Slick 50, etc..etc..) are considered a complete waste of money. Any comments pro and con on them. And, of course, since this is a CTS forum, my questions, while they could be considered generic to any car, are CTS specific. :)
    I (too) kinda-sorta liked the Copper Sunburst. However my better half threatened rather extreme rearrangements of my personal components if I even considered that color. So, alas, we got a Sterling one.
    My local Chev / Olds dealer has a used Copper Sunburst on the lot right now. Not sure what they are asking though.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wow! Lots of changes for the '04. Glad to see the suspension refinements.
    Looks like the will betrying to get everyone of the 255 hp to the ground by raising the shift points.

Did you guys read the specification box?
    Curb weight 3694lbs!
    0-60 in 6.2 "Alfa Romeo USA 2007 models?"

What is that all about?
    Has the curb weight really gone up that much?
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    First of all I got my price info from edmunds of course! But I also knew that if I ordered one I would get a better price than if I bought it off the lot because they get to keep the entire holdback.

Mobile 1 synthetic comes in your cts new! I kept bugging the company until they told me. I did my first oil change at 500 miles and put mobile 1 back in it. You will hate the oil filter as most places do not have it yet. I had to buy it from the dealer 13 bucks. They gave it to me for 10.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    My other half had the same reaction to Copper Sunburst. It looks like Sterling and Garnet Red are also on the 2004 deletions list to be replaced with Red Line?? and Silver Smoke?? I guess these will be new shades of silver and red? It also looks like they are changing names of Blue Onyx to Blue Chip and Black Sable to Black Raven. My next color choice would be blue or black.

Also, any thought on ordering the new version vs waiting for them to hit dealer stock? It seems that none of the dealers near me (NJ) order with the folding rear seats which I think should be standard, but many cars have heated seats. Go figure. I was wondering if you can still get a good deal if ordering or if it was always better to negotiate with cars in stock.
  • fav002fav002 Member Posts: 25
    Hello all -

As a long time member of this board, a proud owner of a stealthy sable black CTS, and a GM employee, I am happy to let you know that GM recently kicked off a new program called "GM in the Driveway". The details are as follows: GM has given its employees two certificates to pass along to someone who is not eligible for a GM vehicle discount, such as a friend or neighbor or even a stranger. (...I consider all of you friends!) The certificate entitles you to purchase or lease an eligible GM vehicle at 4 percent above the employee price. All that you need is my signature and your name on the certificate, which you then take to a GM dealer. It really is that easy! This certificate offer can also be combined with most current GM consumer incentive programs. (Note: there are no current consumer incentive programs on the CTS). “GM in the Driveway” program details and restrictions are available on www.gminthedriveway.com. The program runs from May 8, 2003 – June 30, 2003.

Also, before making your purchase or lease decision, you should take advantage of the “GM 24-Hour Test Drive.” Basically, this program allows new vehicle prospects “private time” with GM products. You can take a car or truck home for a day and experience how it fits into your lifestyle - park it in garage, take it to work, show it off to your friends, go cruising, etc. In other words, use it as you would your own vehicle and then think about it before making your decision. For more info on participating dealers, available vehicles and program restrictions go to www.gm.com/24hour. The program runs through July 22, 2003.

So if you are in the market for a new CTS, I can help! If you are serious about purchasing a GM vehicle, e-mail me at FAV002@yahoo.com and we can discuss the process to get you a certificate.

I hope to see you with a new CTS into your driveway!!

-FAV002

My CTS Pictures
    I only hope that there is a program around like this when I go to buy my CTS V.
         Sounds really great for those who can take advantage of it.
         It's also thoughtful of you to ask at this Board for future CTS owners to get the discount.
    Thanks for the offer , I too would like something like that to help myself get into a CTS-V
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    When did you get them? I will be checking my mail box closly as I am on the GM employee/family deal too. My bud wants a new GM truck and wishes he could get the DEAL too!...............geo
  • biglevbiglev Member Posts: 8
    How much more is the 2004 CTS going to be compared to the 2003 model?
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Every time I look at the pictures of your CTS I am reminded what a sharp car it is and just how good it looks in dark colors. Your pictures are better than any of the ones Cadillac uses in their brochures and promotional materials. Local dealer currently has one CTS in stock(at least according to gmbuypower.com) and it is cashmere. Just a month ago they had about 9 in stock at once. I do see them on the road with increasing frequency while still not at every street corner.

Copper Sunburst- The very first CTS I test drove(about this time last year) was copper sunburst. I'm not sure I'd want to wake up with it every morning but I will confess it did appeal to me some. And boy did it draw some looks during the test drive. Being 27 and single I guess I kind of like things that draw attention to me:) Although I think a black or blue onyx CTS would fit me best.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Considering it's price I think the CTS has a very good interior, however if you want to see a nice interior then check out some pics of the XLR. I can't wait to see one in person as the car looks absolutely fabulous in pictures. To put things in perspective, I loved the look of the XLR the first time I saw a picture of one. That is not the same thing that happened when I saw the first pic of a CTS nearly 2 years ago as it took spotting one on the road in late September 01 to sell me on the car's look.
    I've read several rave reviews of the XLR. Cadillac is on a roll, no doubt. Now they need to get the rest of GM rolling also.

I've always like the look of the CTS and I think the dark blue is the best color. I have stopped by the Cadillac dealer a few times this year to drool over one. Maybe in a year or two I'll get a used one if I can't afford a new one yet. I really want one some day though.
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    My wife always gives me a hard time if I wave to other CTS drivers we meet. She says, "People will think you are crazy".

Yet last week, when we where leaving the local Olive Garden Restaurant, a passenger in another CTS gave me the "Thumbs up" sign, while his wife was parking the car. I believe that, just like Corvette owners, there is a special bond between people who have challenged the ordinary, the bland, by buying a CTS.

Am I crazy? Maybe, but it's just harmless fun and if I get a smile from the other driver, it's OK if they think I'm crazy.

Rich
    Read Post # 2993
    The price will be up but how much it is not sure yet. The 04 will include the new engine and an auto trans as standard. So it just has to be more than the original base model 03.