Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My dealer just got in a silver smoke car and it is grey.
    Pure and simple.
    I thought it would be a dark silver with a lot of metallics in it or a mist clear coat.
    It appears to be the same color that Cadillac used on the late 80's early 90's sedan deVilles.
    Since there was one on the lot that looked to have the identical paint color.
    Oh well, it looks good anyway.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    When is Cadillac going to formally introduce the 04 CTS and change it's buypower website ?
  • redgtconvredgtconv Member Posts: 46
    I called the executive offices of GM today to try to get to the details on whether or not there is a hold on the PDX sports package. The answer is YES, but only on the 1SA & 1SB cars. They are currently shipping 1SC cars with the sports package.
    The reason is a parts shortage, and since the only part that is different is the wheel, that is the part they are waiting for. These wheels were redesigned this year, and they only have the polished ones that come with the 1SC package. The painted ones which come on the 1SA & 1SB are the ones missing. They said they are expecting to have these by Aug. 15th and will begin production immediately thereafter
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    j1205/mannytranny,

I have the bose system and notice a pop when I tap my brakes. I only get the pop when I am listening to a distant radio station. When I am listening to a local AM or FM I don't experience the problem. I also have my radio set for distant reception. I am not sure if I am going to go to dealer with this problem or just live with it.
    Thats great . There will be a lot of polished wheel versions out there
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I couldn't agree more. XM is a must on a long road trip, or commuting to work, as I do. I've written here before that I have the Delphi SkyFi, which has a removable module that I can take into the house and play through a stereo. I don't do it often, but it's a nice bit of flexibility. I have another in my office and it's on 8 hours a day, music, news or comedy tracks.

On another subject, had my rear "lamp," the moisture filled license surround, replaced. The invoice referred to "condensation/moisture" so I assume it was not a leak of rain water, but an air leak in the seal that permitted moisture laden air to get in and condense moisture on the inside when the temperature dropped. In any event, I now have a new one and it looks good.

I'm close to 18K in 10 1/2 months.
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    mcgreenx,
    What kind of antenna do you need for the satellite radio? I noticed an ugly antenna is standard equipment on the CTS with the XM option. I'm thinking that the Delphi SkyFi would be a better option if I could avoid that antenna.
  • manuelmanuel Member Posts: 13
    I'm glad to hear reports like oldsman01's on his first experience with the CTS, it just goes to show that GM can and will finally build cars that completely satisfy their drivers. Anyways to the real point in posting this message, I recently saw an '04 CTS driving around downtown Chicago. I could tell that it was an '04 because it had the awesome new rims and a beautiful new color that truly shines on the CTS, it's a very light shade of blue that i would describe as mist, but it just looked fantastic with the new rims. Congrats GM! It seems as though you finally are getting better at picking wheel designs!
    mcgreenx,

After a hard rain or when I wash my CTS, I get moisture around the outer lip of my rear lamp. When I first noticed the moisture I thought it was getting inside my lamp. It looks as if the seal is inset approx. 1/4 inch from the outer edge of the lamp. Thus far I see no moisture collecting inside the seal. Did your leak start off gradual and then get worse? I am wondering if I am going to eventually have moisture inside the seal area. Does anybody else out there in post land notice this moisture?
    shortly after I picked up my CTS it had a moisture problem probably because it was outside in the dealers lot . Since I bought it it is garaged and I dont drive it in the rain ( i will take my truck)it did dry out I would see it when i washed it ....the clear backup light section would fog up . I am bringing the car in Monday to have the part replaced. I washed the car today and it didn't fog ..... figures
      other issues,
     I think I hear a strange noise in fifth gear (manual) and finally I think the starter drive is staying engaged too long after the engine fires .
    There are a fairly large number of posts about moisture in the backup lamp housing, sometimes referred to here at the "license plate surround." I don't know when the correction was made, but it is known that a supplier apparently delivered defectively sealed units. When I first noticed it, there was a good deal of moisture condensate inside, so I don't know when it started or how it developed.
    Here are two links to the XM radio site, showing the Delphi radio and accessories. The magnetic antenna is the black tear-shaped object on the "accessory" page. I have mine mounted over the driver's head, about two or three inches behind the windshield and about six inches from the top door cutout, if that makes sense. The wire fits invisibly into the windshield seal and down the side, entering the cabin under the dash. Only the two or three inches behind the windshield are visible, and I have had no problems taking the car through an automatic wash (with brushes).

http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28449&ty- - - - pe=Tuner
    http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28447&ty- - - - pe=Accessory

I posted photos of my installation in post #2587 but it doesn't show the antenna. I use the cassette interface for two reasons, first, I didn't want to chance having the FM modulator http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28448&ty- pe=Accessory interfere with the OnStar set up, and second, I believe that when the modulator is selected (assuming it doesn't interfere with OnStar) you can't cycle through all inputs, e.g., tape-XM, CD, FM, AM, without deselecting the modulator, and I scan through the several audio sources with regularity.

Here is a page on antennas, but the Delphi antenna comes included with it, as I suspect most do, so you would be duplicating some cost if you buy an additional antenna.
     http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_category.jsp?type=Antenna
    WOW! Thanks for the detailed info and links...I'll definitely be considering XM radio!
  • tvdirectvdirec Member Posts: 22
    Oldsman01
    I've placed my XM antenna on the right side of my trunk. It's a magnetic mount and is very small and not that visible. I then ran the cable through the rear seat trunk opening up to the front of the car.

Sevenfeet0
    Mine is just a small "nick". Not even a half-inch wide. A little rubbing compound and touchup paint should do the trick for me.

mcgreenx
    I love XM satellite radio. I have the Sony plug 'n play so I can take it from my car into the house. Had to buy two separate adaptor packages for each but I love the sound quality and the variety that XM provides. I also use the cassette instead of the FM modulator. Haven't had any problems with it.
    Went by my local Cadillac dealer today and noticed two 2004 CTS's on the lot. I was surprised that the highway mileage rating was 28 mpg versus 26 on the 2003's. The city rating was the same for the 2003 and 2004. With the larger engine on the 04's, I am a little surprised to see the higher rating.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    Someone who knows better than I can correct me, but I think improved mpg is a attribute typical of variable valve timing, which the new engine has and the old does not.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    I get 28 highway all the time with my o3 so I am not sure if the o4 really gets better mileage.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    The higher torque rating of the new 3.6 may allow the use of a taller rear axle ratio, resulting in the better hwy mileage rating.
    Not only is the new 3.6L rated higher in gas mileage, but it uses regular 87 octane gas.
    it's the name of the game wait to see what they do for 05!!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Have ya been to plowsite lately?
    The BBQ in Poughkeepsie will be Oct. 18th this year. Hope to see ya there.............geo
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    Variable valve timing allows the engine controls to vary cylinder compression pressure based on speed/load/temperature/fuel quality/driver's breath. This generally improves part-throttle/low-RPM torque and may improve mileage (getting maximum BTUs out of each spritz of fuel) and may also allow for taller gearing.

Real-world gas mileage is not directly related to EPA dyno-roller mileage numbers, and in some cases the kinds of games automakers have to play to get good EPA numbers (taller final-drive ratios, super-tall transmission top-gear ratios, downshift-resistant automatic transmission shift strategies, GM's infamous skip-shift, VW's almost-as-infamous upshift-light, smaller disc rotors to reduce rotating masses e.g. Contour/Mystique, low rolling resistance eco-squealer tires, etc.) make the car less enjoyable/safe/comfortable to drive in the real world.

It always fascinates me to see some Tahoe-jockey advocating higher CAFE numbers, or someone in a '72 Bug looking for tighter smog standards for new vehicles. Perhaps 'fascinates' isn't the right word. 'Infuriates' is more like it. If said individual wants a less-thirsty vehicle, there's plenty to choose from already, and almost *anything* is cleaner-running than an old VW boxer-motor - you could probably run a CTS for a week with less hydrocarbon emissions than from the gas that evaporates out of an old Solex 30PICT-2 float bowl in a day.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    GM's media web site indicates (as of June 2003) that the CTS will have the same axle ratio's as in 2003. The automatic is to get the 3.42:1 gearing. The EPA numbers for both engines seem unchanged from last year 18 city/26 highway. I don't know if this was a preliminary rating for the 3.6 or not.

After checking with the epa website, I see that the 2003 manual CTS was rated 19 city/26 highway. GM's 2004 spec's for the manual are somewhat confused - the final axle ratio is stated as 3.21:1 -> either an error or a 3.91:1 axle ratio???? The automatic has a 3.42:1 axle, as it did in 2003.
    The groups you mentioned are just symbolism over substance. They want sombody else to follow the causes they champion .
    Brought my CTS into the dealer Here's the outcome
    1.Noise in 5th gear between 40-45 MPH caused by noisy 4th gear syncro.TSB found Result- New Transmission
    2. Leaky Bezel (lens) well they are not up to speed on this they told me "it's supposed to do that " Anybody who has had it replaced give me any reference to use to change their minds .
    3 I thought the starter drive was hanging on a little to long after the engine fired (cold engine ) ...yet to be determined
    They ordered the transmission so I went and got the car back until the parts arrive , They gave me a beat grand prix as a loaner .....so much for a Cadillac loaner " they were all gone"
    "it's the name of the game wait to see what they do for 05!! "

I was seriously considering trading my '03 for a 2004 w/the bigger V6 until I really started thinking about how much I loved my current car, how I've already taken the hit on depreciation by driving it off the lot, and how the SRX has a V8 (and shares the same platform as the CTS)and that there is nothing in the CTS lineup between the V6 and V-Series. I think I'll wait until 2005 and see what happens...it's just a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised to see a V8 option for the CTS (other than the V-Series). Then there's always the hope that the stock market will improve so I'll have some fun money to spend on the V-series when it's available...I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

As for the leaky bezel, I think it IS normal to see some condensation or moisture around the outer edge but NOT normal to see it behid the lens. If you've got moisture behind the lens I'd personally INSIST on them fixing the problem.
    bezel- That was my point I said that water is supposed to flow around the bezel but not inside it . Of course I was talking to the service writer - the technician was gone. I will pursue when I drop it off for the new transmission .
       I agree with you about waiting , it's expensive to trade each year .An eight cylinder is the ticket for performance. I also agree with you that once they fit a V8 they will continue with different variations because any Cadillac is a V8 car .
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    From what I've read, 05 CTSs will have the option of a new 6 speed manual with the 3.6 liter engine. My guess is we probably won't see a non V-series V8 CTS. More likely are more powerful variations on the new 3.6 liter V6. Anyone care to imagine what a supercharged 3.6 would be like:) After spending 24 hours with an 03 CTS, I really like the car as it is, but certainly want to wait for an 04 to get the new engine. The 3.2 was not a bad engine at all, but as good as the car was with it, I can only imagine what the new mill will do for it.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I went to Atlanta this past weekend and on the road I saw a few CTSs, but not too many. What I did see plenty of were Escalades, particularly in Buckhead which is where we were staying. With all the expensive machinery on the roads there I was expecting to see an XLR at any moment. What really amazes me about all the Escalades is the age of their drivers. Most were probably in their 40s or younger. First off, the "Slade" is a pretty darn expensive vehicle and secondly, despite being a nice ride, it is by far the most "boaty" Cadillac there is. Call a Deville a land yaucht all you want to, but one would probably outrun an Escalade easily in the twisties. Yeah, I know all the pro athletes and rap stars drive one, but seriously, if it was Cadillac's "boaty" image that turned off so many younger buyers, why are they all flocking to a 5000+ lb truck. For nearly 60K, make mine an STS or DTS. Or better yet, I'll take out a second mortgage and just spring for an XLR:)
    You are right Oldsman .characteristics that some people goofed on .....boatlike ride and handling in a Cadillac sedan now is "hip" in a different format (SUV)..What was that saying about fooling people some of the time ....
    wwhite2,

What kind of noise did your transmission make. I don't have the problem, just curious.
    It occurs at 40 -45 mph in fifth gear only ,it sounds like a wind noise or a flutter . If you downshift to fourth it stops. Cadillac says its caused by the 4th gear synco . The noise is not acceptable to them so if the customer identifies it they will replace the transmission . The noise isnt loud but it can be heard .
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey...I didn't forget about you ! Still waiting on those GM coupons!............geo
  • jscorpjscorp Member Posts: 1
    i luv the look of the car--but can anyone tell me how it handles in the snow? i am a new englander--so you can imagine the storms we get..i want to buy the cts but i am worried about skidding in the snow
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    My CTS handles just great in the snow. I can't say that about all of the CTSs but I have a manual transmission and didn't have problems or get stuck, or have any skidding even during the past winter. The car just seemed to go straight. I only have traction control . Some of the locals did get stuck with auto trans though.
    I am waiting to see how you like the replacement trans. I also have heard the noise in 5th gear but I haven't done anything about it yet. My dealer is still waiting on the replacement bezel. They said that they are waiting to get one that is the same as the car color (from a 2004) as a replacement. The advisor thinks that if they put one on from stock now it will only leak moisture again and the the replacement will neeed replacing????? Go figure???????? I've been waiting since the end of May. With the heat it usually doesn't look that bad in the clear part because the moisture evaporates quickly.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    wwhite2,
    Do you know if the problem potentially affects all '03s or has Cadillac identified a certain build date range that the problem affects?
    oldsman01:
    I was just thinking that dropping the 4.6L VVT from the SRX into the CTS would be a no-brainer but maybe there's some reason I don't know about that it wouldn't be possible.
    I'd just like to see something that was a step up from the V6 CTS but maybe not as big of a step as the CTS-V.

sonjaab:
    Thanks for the update on the coupon. At the very least I'm refinancing my current CTS and getting new wheels...ultimately though I want to trade for a 2004 if I can find the car I want and strike up a deal with the GM coupon! Hopefully my dealer will accept the coupon and I can do a quick sell or trade of my current CTS.
    According to the TSB,' built prior to the Vin breakpoint Vin 30232407 with a manual transmission.'
  • dhannahiiidhannahiii Member Posts: 14
    What is a good replacement tire for my 2003 CTS? Last week I was able to pick up a good use 2003 CTS, 4 months old, less than 5,500 miles on it, and in perfect condition. The local dealer in Brenham found it in an auction in South Texas, after I gave up on receiving my 2004 CTS, 1SC model that I ordered back in May of this year. I have already put 1,500 miles on it in one week of ownership. The used car was loaded, Sport Luxury package, HID headlights, folding rear seats, and the works. No Nav package, didn't want it. The current tires on the car are the original Goodyears, one needs to be replace shortly. Any good suggestions on what tire brand to buy would be appreciated.

David, Central Texas
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Although I don't live in a snow city (Nashville), we had the most snow we've had in 20 years this past winter. It used to be that front wheel drive was the primary way to handle weather like this (if you weren't in an all-wheel drive vehicle). Nowadays, rear drive cars often come with traction control, which greatly helps to even the playing field.

More than a few times this past winter was my CTS' traction control needed..and it performed as advertised.
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    What kind of weather are you going to be looking at? Do you want an all-season (no-season) tire, or a summer-only tire? How much do you want to spend? I picked up a set of Yokohama AVS ES100 tires (summer only) for very little, under $400 for the set, at TireRack. If you want to spend more, Michelin Pilot Sports are good. If all-season, the Michelin Pilot all-seasons are good, too.

BTW, I'm driving a 2003 Impala today, while the CTS is getting oil change and annual service. Wow. This car blows. The interior seems like it was designed by people unfamiliar with humans. So far, I like the outside, the engine seems pretty decent, and the A/C is cold. Otherwise (brakes, handling, etc., etc.,), not so good. Didn't someone on this board have one of these?
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Automole- The current CTS body is not wide enough to fit a "Northstar DOHC" into the engine bay. That's one of the reasons why the CTS-V has a Vette OHV engine. The SRX and '05 STS use a wider version of the "sigma" platform. The "next gen" '06 CTS (GMX-322) will use the wider body and therefore could use a "Northstar".

However, Cadillac probably wants to avoid an overlap between the CTS and STS. They should be viewed by buyers as distinct models. While both will start with a V6 as the standard engine and offer a high performance "V Series model", Cadillac wants the STS as a step up from the CTS.

Therefore, it's my opinion that the CTS will use several variations of a V6 in the regular CTS (No V8). The standard 3.6L would be 255 HP, while the optional 3.6L would have between 275 and 300 HP. The CTS-V could switch to the "Northstar" or keep the Vette engine. It's a toss-up.

The STS will start with a V6 and offer a "Northstar V8" as an option. The STS-V could have a V12, possibly turbo-charged.

The next gen Deville (DTS) will offer a "Northstar V8" as standard,with a possible V12 option. If there is a DTS-V it could have a version of Cadillac's V16.

pmdriver (Ken), I know you can't release information before it's time, but does the above scenario sound right? Since you're the Project Manager for the CTS-V, will you move on to the STS-V?

Note: All of the above is subject to change if I'm wrong.

Snow - Our CTS was up to the task of handling the snow we had in Chicago this past winter. After 12 years of FWD cars, I found that it was real easy to get back to driving RWD in the snow.

Rich
    Before you worry too much about what tire brand to buy I'd try and figure out why one of your tires needs replacing at only 7000 miles. I've got 12k miles on my CTS and the original Goodyears are still in good shape.

Personally, I like Goodyears. I would avoid the Michelin Pilots like the plague as I've had them on 2 different cars and the wet weather traction was terrible (ironic since all weather performance is one of the big selling points for that tire). I also didn't think they wore as well as the Goodyears I've had...I had a set of Goodyear GSCs that I got almost 50k miles out of before they needed replacing.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    I put a set of Kumho Ecsta Supras (summer only tires) on my Contour SVT a couple of weeks ago and I am impressed.

They are the equal of Goodyear Eagle F1's, but through Tire Rack they were only $252 a set, plus shipping.
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    I immediately wondered the same thing..why is a tire almost worn out at 5,500 miles?? Automole is right..that issue needs to be looked at closely..especially while the car remains (I assume) under warranty.
    I had a 2000 Impala, Necros, and presently have a 2002 Imp as a company car. As I said before, I wouldn't compare the Impala directly to the CTS..they are two completely different types of cars. And, as with ANY car model, you'll find lovers and haters. Personally, I like them, for what they are. And, like 'em or not, GM must be doing something right with them..they are one of the top selling (which does not necessarily equal "best) domestic cars and you see them all over the place these days.
    The wife almost got head-on'ed yesterday in the CTS. SUV (full of teenagers) pulling a boat drifted completely into her lane, head on, when the kid driving it fell asleep (so he said...how does a teenager in a car load of teenagers "fall asleep"). She had to take the CTS 4-wheeling off the road (luckily no curbs, etc...) to avoid it. She said it handled like a champ (I wouldn't advocate dirt racing as a recurring drive test of the car, though) and got her out of trouble right quick like. In the end, not even so much as a scratch. (There was, unfortunately, some damp "panties" though.)
    I just orderd an '04 with the sports package. Can anyone give me some feedback on the day to day driving of this car. Is it too firm for everday driving?
    Thanks for posting the VIN breakpoint for the manual trans TSB . Having the transmission replaced shouldnt be a big deal until you factor in the abilities and disposition of the technician . I have my fingers crossed. He seemed knowledgeable . He mentioned that he wasn't sure how Cadillac wanted to change the transmission i. e. removing the engine and transmission as one assembly (CRINGE) I think they only pull the tranny from underneath like it was done in the good old days therefore they dont even have to disturb the bell housing. I will mark the driveshaft to pinion relationship so I can check if it was re installed " out of phase "
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I have a 2003 LuxSport and I think this car is a blast. I think the suspension might be a little harsh at first if you aren't used to it, but once you've had a few thousand miles in it, you'll have a hard time going back to a squishier ride.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The Sept. issue of Motor Trend and Automobile magazines both have articles on the CTS-V. Briefly scanned the one in Auto and it sounded very positive. Will read more tonight. They expect it to start at $45-47K.